Back to 2008 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament coverage

2008 NCAA Tournament

video thumbnail

Full video coverage of the Kansas Jayhawks in the 2008 NCAA Tournament

Videos

6News Championship Celebration

video thumbnail

Coverage of the festivities after the Jayhawks became the NCAA National Champions.

Feature

2008 NCAA Tournament

Get your March Madness fix at KUSports.com.

NCAA Championship Game

Kansas University coach Bill Self said he would take the call if Oklahoma State phones him about its coaching vacancy.

"It's my alma mater," he said. "I said this last week I would recommend they go in a different direction. I still feel that way. I'm not going to say that couldn't potentially happen because I guess it potentially can," he added of being contacted by AD Mike Holder or booster T. Boone Pickens.

"I love Kansas. I love my job. Hopefully I'll spend a long time here. I'm not looking to leave."

Self said he would meet with KU athletic director Lew Perkins in coming days. Perkins has said Self is in line for a raise after such a successful season. Rumors indicate OSU booster Pickens may fund a $6 million signing bonus with a 10-year contract at $4 million a year.

As far as KU's players with NBA aspirations, junior Brandon Rush said he'd "take some time off" and announce his plans in a couple of weeks.

It's long been believed he and soph Darrell Arthur will turn pro.

Arthur and soph Sherron Collins both said they'd not been thinking about the NBA the past couple of weeks while pursuing the national title. Mario Chalmers' dad, Ronnie, also said the family hadn't discussed his son's NBA options at all.

¢This one's for Rod: Rodrick Stewart, who couldn't play in the Final Four because of a freak knee injury, was helped up the podium steps by teammates to take part in the trophy presentation after Monday's overtime victory over Memphis.

"I wouldn't change a thing about this weekend," Stewart, KU's senior from Seattle, said. "If I was told we'd lose if I was healthy and win if I was hurt, I'd rather be hurt," said Stewart, who fractured his right kneecap in a dunk drill at the Final Four shootaround Friday and will have surgery Wednesday.

"This is a dream come true. My teammates say they did it for me. It's a great feeling to win the national championship. There have been great teams at Kansas, and we are now part of history, too."

¢Julian on hand: New Orleans Hornets rookie Julian Wright, who left KU after two years for the NBA, watched the game, stood on the podium during KU's victory celebration and also was in the winning locker room after the contest.

"This is a great story. The players, the coaching staff and fans deserve it," Wright said. "I feel a part of it. The guys say I helped by cheering them on. I'm so proud of Mario (for hitting game-tying shot with :02 left). That's why you go to a school like Kansas, to make a shot like that. We are now the last team standing. It feels great."

¢Chipping at lead: Collins on KU erasing a nine-point deficit in the last two minutes.

"We chipped at it, made some stops. They missed free throws and played into our hands."

Of his steal and three that cut Memphis' lead to 60-56 at 1:45, he said: "I tried to show some heart like the rest of the guys. Once we tied it (at buzzer), we knew we'd win it. We knew we'd win after regulation was over."

¢Mom's take: Chalmers' mom, Almarie, on the victory. "I think it's going to bring the community closer together. I'm so happy for the players, coaches, Cindy (Self), everybody. It's an awesome feeling."

¢Manning nets another ring: Danny Manning, who led KU to a national title in 1988, is part of another national championship. KU's assistant coach hugged head coach Self after the final horn.

"It's different. This is more vivid. It's more recent," Manning said. "To win the national championship is very special. I'm happy I played on that team, but this is a new part of our tradition. This is for the guys, coach Self, the university. Both are very special."

How'd he feel watching "One Shining Moment" in the arena on the victory podium Monday?

"Beautiful, beautiful," he said.

¢Travel plans: KU associate AD Jim Marchiony said the team hoped to board a flight for Forbes Field by noon today. The team bus will go straight from Forbes Field today to KU's Memorial Stadium for a celebration. The bus could arrive as early as 2 p.m. in Topeka, Marchiony said, but there's a chance of a delayed departure in San Antonio by up to 90 minutes.

¢Roy in the house rooting for KU: North Carolina coach Roy Williams sat about 10 rows behind KU's bench with his wife, Wanda, and daughter Kimberly. The former KU coach was wearing a black shirt with a big Jayhawk sticker on it. UNC assistant Joe Holladay, a former KU aide, also was in the area.

Other former KU head coaches in the KU section were Larry Brown and Ted Owens. In other words, all of KU's former head coaches who are alive attended the title game.

¢Faces in crowd: Former KU basketball players Alonzo Jamison, Greg Gurley, David Johanning, Mike Maddox, Greg Ostertag, Scot Pollard, Ryan Robertson, Bud Stallworth, Rex Walters and Walt Wesley were among those spotted in the stands. KU football coach Mark Mangino attended.

¢OT talk: It was the seventh overtime game in NCAA title game history. It was the first since 1997 when Arizona beat Kentucky, 84-79.

Comments

actorman 6 years ago

Can we all please make a pact that the second ANYONE sees a post by gamedayreview, that person will click on "suggest removal." Maybe if we get his threads removed within a few seconds every time, the serial spamming jerk will eventually go away. I find him even more irritating than soobawls. As big a schmuck as people like soobawls can be, at least they're using this thread to express an opinion (incredibly misguided and/or antagonistic as it may be). What gamedayreview is doing is nothing short of assault.

kickazzkurtz 6 years ago

KU basketball was amazing before Roy and was fine after. KU basketball was amazing before Self and will be amazing after Self. I hope Self stays. Lots of Self haters over the last 5 years, hopefully now that will be a dead issue.

mtjayhawk 6 years ago

It amazes me how so many of you talk of Bill Self as if he's some sort of GOD, now that he's won a National Championship. And because of that, think that he should be paid some hugely inflated sum of money...as if that somehow guarantees KU future championships. The REALITY: Bill Self is an exceptional coach and should be rewarded for his expertise. But I've heard him (as well as other coaches) say that winning a championship at this level involves a tremendous amount of luck. That was extremely evident in last night's game. If the officials hadn't reviewed the 3 pointer that turned into a 2...Memphis hits 1 more freethrow. 1 lousy freethrow! Etc., etc., etc.It was KU's night to be lucky and cap a season of hard work and well deserved celebration at the end of a great season, which I applaud!BUT...as an earlier post stated that we should dig into KU's endowment fund to keep Self at Kansas...nothing could infuriate me more. That money was donated by individuals of varying income to support the Universities STUDENTS! No one man or woman is worth sacrificing the betterment of so many students who benefit from the Endowment at KU. My money is on Bill staying...I think he sees the bigger picture when it comes to the University of Kansas and it's traditions.

KU 6 years ago

Azhawk97.....speaking of supernatural help, I think Sherron Jr was riding with wings on Sherron's 3-ball into the basket from the deep corner. And I'm pretty sure Rod's late brother tapped Sherron's last free throw in the basket after it had rolled around and off the rim because I don't know how that ball went down. Darnell's deceased grandmother might have even been guiding Mario's hand on that game-tying 3 from the key.Too many inexplicable and fortuitous "breaks" in the last 120 seconds to be coincidence?

AzHawk97 6 years ago

"In other words, all of KU's former head coaches who are alive attended the title game."

With the way things turned out I would say there may have been some other former KU head coaches floating around in the Alamodome last night.

AzHawk97 6 years ago

The way things turned out I would say there may have been some other former KU coaches floating around the Alamodome last night.

jhwkfan162515 6 years ago

Remember how ticked off we were when KU lost to K-State earlier this year? And remember what I said about our previous national championship teams each having at least one loss to K-State? Beating the Mildcats is nice, but ultimately, we have bigger fish to fry.2008 NCAA NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!! ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!!!!!!!!!!!

jhwkfan162515 6 years ago

I just want to point out that, remember how ticked off we were when KU lost to K-State earlier this year. And I said that our two previous national championship teams had at least one loss to K-State. Just remember, beating KSU is nice, but we have bigger fish to fry.NATIONAL CHAMPIONS FOR 2008: ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!

cobweb 6 years ago

Hey Coach. If you take Pickens' money, get cash. Don't leave it in his hedge fund which is operating on a ton of borrowed money. Pickens has been wrong and near-broke on several occasions in the past. His ego is off the charts again. Beware!

KUfaninCA 6 years ago

Seeing Roy last night was incredible. It made me proud to be a Jayhawk. It made me proud of Roy. It made me realize that only Kansas could be so loved and so entrenched in tradition that a coach that lost to them a few days before could be unabashedly cheering for them. Roy is a class act, but Kansas basketball is far more meaningful than one person. I hope we can all let go of Roy Williams. As far as Coach Self, I hope he stays, I think he'll stay, but if he goes...Let's bring back Larry Brown!Kansas is basketball.Rock Chalk...

jayhawkinATL 6 years ago

Quick, Lew and Bob...get Warren Buffett on the horn. See if he is willing to dump some cash on a school that just bestowed on him an honorary degree in WHATEVER.

ralsterKUMed95 6 years ago

Regarding the post above about "no coach at any level being worth $2.5M..."--that, my fellow 'Hawk is not up to you or me. It is a function of market forces and is your "stock" up or down? Basically linked to 'what have you done for me lately', and 'can ya win the big one'. Recent achievements, and pinnacle-achievements. If the going-rate for a top college coach is $X.Xmillion, he will only get that if some university is willing to pay that. Money aside, you coach to have fun and win. The final, ultimate Win is the National Championship. Much, much more likely to duplicate this awesome pinnacle moment at the University of KS than at Okla. State, no disrespect intended towards Okla. State or their loyal following...

FortWorthJayhawk 6 years ago

Coach Self is going nowhere. If it was all about the money he would've jumped to the NBA awhile ago. He's said before that Kansas is his dream job. You don't give up your dream job for OSU... He'll get his money at Kansas.It was good to see Roy unabashedly cheering for the Jayhawks last night. I hope it helps ease everyone's pain. We weren't on the losing end when he left.What an amazing game last night. I've heard Self say so many times that Mario is his guy to take that shot and he sure knew his player.ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!!!!!!!!

afterONE 6 years ago

We need to get someone to coach at Kansas who is FROM Kansas. I am tired of this leaving our school to go home crap.

Craig Lang 6 years ago

I liked the commentary on ESPN.com that Self should not let himself be labeled "Dollar Bill." He might make some good scratch by jumping ship, but he will never have the opportunity at OSU to make a run for the National Championship like he did at Kansas. Yes I am biased, no coach at OSU could attract big recruits over Kansas, UNC or Duke, even if the Cowboys were coached by Phil Jackson. OSU just does not have the basketball history that KU has.As for Roy, I think it was real class that he sported a KU sticker and rooted for his old team. This weekend has been very therapeutic for me in helping me finally be at peace with the departure of Coach Williams.

tdomine 6 years ago

Isn't taking your alma mater job what you do once you're washed up (or too toxic to touch, and I mean you, Mr. Huggins)?I think coach Self is just doing what he did all season long, playing a very savvy game to ensure that he can have his cake and eat it too; coach KU and count the money! Pay the man!

MGJayhawk 6 years ago

Self is doing the right thing by keeping it open so KU has to fork up money. He's not going anywhere. He can go to OSU at any point in his career now. Why now? Why take a step back? HE is the new KU legacy. No more Larry Brown or Roy Williams...it's all Bill Self. He won't throw that away. He's got bigger plans.Chalmers is clutch as hell!!!Rod Stewart is a true teammate!Jayhawk Nation is so proud...

prairie_rattler 6 years ago

No basketball coach (at any level) is worth $2.5M... though I hope he stays....

KU 6 years ago

I can't see Big Lew flinching about opening the wallet wide for about a $2.5M salary. This is Kansas, one of the most storied programs in the history of basketball. If the head coach wins a National Championship, he should be rewarded accordingly. If Self stays at KU, it's going to be a beautiful era in KU basketball.Rock Chalk!

Seth Peattie 6 years ago

KANSAS: THE RIC FLAIR OF COLLEGE BASKETBALL!!!WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jonathan Andrews 6 years ago

tis4tim, I was going to say the exact same thing!Rod has proven his strength, his desire and his unselfishness during his career at KU, and deserves our respect. Go Stewart! Go KU!

iloveribs 6 years ago

wow! Ive given rod stewart a hard time lately, but what a classy statement from that kid. College bball needs more kids like him! Best of luck in the future rod!

JNgohawks 6 years ago

Mario! Mario! Mario! Mario! Mario! Mario! Mario! Mario!

jayhawkinATL 6 years ago

Self isn't going anywhere. We will give him a respectable pay raise. The OSU job will ALWAYS be there for the taking in the future (hopefully, the very distant future).

tis4tim 6 years ago

If I was told we'd lose if I was healthy and win if I was hurt, I'd rather be hurt," - Rodrick StewartTotally emblematic of what kind of team this is. Completely unselfish.Great win. Rock Chalk!

jayhawkinATL 6 years ago

Speaking of class acts, I have to say, after watching Coach Cal's post game, he too is a class act...no excuses and much praise for the Jayhawks.

jayhawkinATL 6 years ago

Yep, bite it you ESPN naysayers (except Bilas and Hubert Davis...who's been on the KU bandwagon since day 1 of the season).That was so awesome to see Roy with that BIG Jayhawk sticker on his chest. I appreciate all that you did for us, Roy, in your 15 years at the helm. You ARE a class act!!!!!

Chicago_JHawk 6 years ago

Great win! I really like Rod's attitude - he's a class guy.Unless we pony up $2.5M or so per year, we may very well lose Self...but I don't think any of us would think badly of him if he left. He's forever entrenched in Kansas lore now...

brooksmd 6 years ago

And the best part, Coach Self out coached Calipari. So all the Coach Self haters can bite the big one. Great effort guys and thank you for a season to remember. BTW, was that crow feathers sticking out of the mouths of all the ESPN naysayers?

Timmay97 6 years ago

If you didn't believe in God before the Chalmers shot, you certainly do now. I'm on cloud 9!!! This is by far the greatest feeling I have ever had since my twin girls were born. Thank you Bill Self and thank you Jayhawks! This team is one and a million. Wouldn't trade one player for anyone. You all sacrificed personal accolades for the good of the team, and look what it got you! KU Jayhawks.....2008 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!!

flipborder02 6 years ago

Man what a game. Love ya hawks.

Jeff Schartz 6 years ago

Beautiful!!! Just a great day to be a JayHawker! I love it! Thanks, Guys!