Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Border snore

Jayhawks snubbed; Tigers drubbed

Kansas University's Brandon Rush goes for a reverse against Missouri. Rush had a team-high 19 points in the Jayhawks' 90-71 victory Monday in Allen Fieldhouse.

The national anthem ended and Kansas University's basketball players prepared to shake hands with Missouri's Tigers on Monday night at Allen Fieldhouse.

Oops.

The Tigers, who, like the Jayhawks, had lined up on the court for the stirring rendition, wanted no part of the traditional pregame pleasantries.

They turned their backs and headed the other way.

Moments later - before the opening tipoff - MU's players again refused to bump fists with the Jayhawks.

Serious business, this Border War.

"It's always special to beat Missouri. It made it better today because they didn't want to shake our hands at the beginning," KU senior guard Russell Robinson said after KU's 90-71 rout of the Tigers.

"They wanted to set the tone at the beginning, get themselves fired up. It was all a mental thing. They came out with a nice little swagger about 'em. Obviously it didn't work," Robinson added with a smile.

KU swept the season series with MU, on Monday improving greatly on a six-point victory on Jan. 19 at Mizzou Arena.

The Jayhawks, who were led by Brandon Rush's 19 points and had five players score in double figures, grabbed 48 rebounds to the Tigers' 25.

KU's defenders, who forced just eight turnovers, stuck to the Tigers' outside threats, holding them to 0-for-10 three-point shooting on a night MU hit 46.7 percent overall.

Rush, who made seven of 13 shots, including three of seven threes, stuck to Matt Lawrence, who missed five threes without a make.

Rush, like Robinson, was a bit fired up after the handshake snubs.

"No handshake, no nothin',''' Kansas City, Mo., native Rush said. "They do their thing. We do ours."

Rush was in a good mood after beating the Tigers for the fifth time in six games in his three-year KU career. He said after the game he's ready to shed the big, bulky brace he has been wearing at practice and games all season as he recovers from ACL surgery.

"My knee's getting better. I'm going to take it off this week and play without it Saturday," Rush said of KU's 7 p.m. home game against Baylor. "I'll practice without it and get a feel for playing without it. I think it's time."

Monday, KU was able to pound MU despite receiving precious little playing time from leading scorer Darrell Arthur.

Arthur, who had three fouls while playing two minutes the first half, did return the second half to score nine straight points in a 23-9 run that turned a 58-47 lead into an 81-56 blowout.

"It's ridiculous 'Shady' gets three fouls in two minutes. It didn't matter because Sasha (Kaun, 12 points, four rebounds) and Cole (Aldrich, nine rebounds, six points) played so well," Self said, noting Arthur "played really well the second half.

"Offensively we were really good."

Self wasn't pleased with the defense of his perimeter players. KU had just three steals for the third straight game.

"They were quicker than us. I shouldn't say that, but their guards went anywhere they wanted with the ball," Self said. "We have to focus on keeping guys in front of us. We're not sound. We're off balance. We lunge. We challenge in the backcourt, and they dribble past us, and we put the big guys in harm's way. They got the ball where they wanted it. It's frustrating because their guards are quick, but ours could have done a better job."

Mario Chalmers scored 15 points, Kaun and Sherron Collins 12, while Arthur managed 13 points in his 14 minutes.

"I can't catch a break," Arthur said of picking up fouls. "I did a better job the second half of not fouling and keeping my man in front of me. I caught a bad break trying to slide over and take a charge, and then I caught another one early to give me two fouls. I am trying, but the fouls I'm making are stupid fouls. I need to play with my head and my feet."

KU led, 45-33, without him at halftime and outscored MU, 45-38, the second half in improving to 22-1 overall and 7-1 in the Big 12. MU, which brought back suspended players Jason Horton and Darryl Butterfield, fell to 13-10, 3-5.

The Jayhawks were happy after defeating one of their rivals with last Wednesday's loss to Kansas State still in their minds.

"The wins never feel as good as the losses feel bad, at least that's how I've always felt," Self said. "I was happy we won. This doesn't feel as good as that felt bad. It's not just (that it was) K-State. I felt we played poorly that night."

And KU played well Monday. How much it was due to handshake snubs is open for debate.

Comments

blackhawkjayhawk 6 years, 7 months ago

As Robinson said, the Tiggers came out with a swagger. Unfortunately for MU, it looked like a drunken swagger once the game began.

6 years, 7 months ago

Just like dogs taking on the persona of their owners, the Tigers team has taken on the persona of their fans - - classless losers.

areyouserious 6 years, 7 months ago

Stay classy Missouri!!!!! Of all teams, I don't think one of the bottom feeders with a program in turmoil should be resorting to the "don't shake their hands trick".

Not a single player from Fizzou would see the court on our squad!

Keep doing your thing Tiggers!

RedJay 6 years, 7 months ago

I would be furious if our players ever did that.

Ben Kane 6 years, 7 months ago

I don't know where this Darnell Jackson came from but me likey... Sasha looked great down low, but he still has to work on keeping his head up. Also it seems like our bench guards (Stewart & Collins) just come into the game too hyped and end up making too many turnovers. What worries me most is how many lay-ups we miss. After following the last two games on ESPN update and constantly seeing the phrase "Missed layup" for the Jayhawks I finally got a chance to see it for myself it definitely worries me. If MU (or any other team) gets hot from the 3 we need to be making these easy buckets! Fortunately it didn't hurt us badly last night but we easily could've beaten them by much more with some.

1977kufan 6 years, 7 months ago

Great job, Gary. It was great to see some of the big guys step up with Shady's foul difficulties. Great work Shasa and Cole. Overall, super game Jayhawks, nice work on the periphery (even though Coach Self would disagree with me!) Oh, by the way Tiggers, your decision on the court before the game even starts, your offensive and defensive efforts during the game and your actions in the "bars" in Tiggerland seem to parallel each other. You got easily beat in the far more important basketball game and you got beat up in a lowly bar in Tiggerland. Typical Missouri, but I wish I could add "University". You don't need that much praise. ROCK CHALK!!!

Dyrk Dugan 6 years, 7 months ago

very bush league by Mizzou (and why is that on the front of their jerseys anyway? How about Missouri? Mizzou isn't a real state.) To not even shake hands at mid court before the game....very childish. But as said above, it's typical. But Brandon said and did all the right things though.....he and his teammates just buried them on the court. Way to go Jayhawks!

cscher 6 years, 7 months ago

What a bunch of d-bags. Just when I thought the coach in Columbia was trying to clean up the program by benching a few of them, they come out with that crap. Thanks to them for reminding me that syrup on s--t doesn't make pancakes.

JayCeph 6 years, 7 months ago

Chalmers is really becoming the leader of this team. Impressive kid.

Jim Pendleton 6 years, 7 months ago

Maybe they thought by not shaking hands, they would avoid getting sucker punched in the jaw. Since you toothless tigggers don't want to shake hands with us, perhaps you'd like some oranges to snack on at halftime! At least those of you that can still eat solid food can have some.

I am with redjay - I would be unhappy with our players as well if they did anything like that. Once again the cream rises to the top, as we are the class program.

Kyle Crenshaw 6 years, 7 months ago

anyone else see the added quickness of our guards penetrating the lane? collins looked like he finally got his pop back where one second hes runing through and the next he just flew through everyone!

Tom Pritchard 6 years, 7 months ago

Am I wrong,or was that stupid ref Hightower & company the same bunch of idiots that we had when playing Silo Tech?

vmwskywalk 6 years, 7 months ago

I about died laughing last night when they read some of the anti Missouri t-shirts on ESPN. They said there were about 50 different ones, however only about three or four were appropriate for television.

Craig Lang 6 years, 7 months ago

Did anybody think to ask the Missouri coach why his players acted that way? I'm not saying that the Tigers have any excuse for that kind of behavior, but I'd like to know whether Anderson actually apologized for his players' unsportsmanlike conduct.

cklarock 6 years, 7 months ago

@alfimer: lol

Nobody with any sense would put Quin beneath Wooden. Just compre their hair. Wooden: no hair. Quin: Luxurious, wavy hair.

Snyder is #1 on my all-time list. Hell, I wish he were back at Missouri.

halvhawk 6 years, 7 months ago

weird...when i saw snubbed in the headling, i thought it would have meant dropping down behind UNC and UCLA in the rankings, is it just me or is there absolutely no logic involved in that? Believe me, i know its early Feb. and rankings still dont mean a whole lot, but it does burn getting treated this way by the voters in FB AND BB...anyone have any thoughts?

ralsterKUMed95 6 years, 7 months ago

Ya, good point. I so far have felt Mike Anderson is a good coach, at least he came to try hard with the Mizzou program. Did the right thing in suspending the 5 players. Stefon Hannah learned some major lessons about WHY there are preexisting team rules (really designed to protect the players from things like this), and how not following those rules, he hurt his team for the season, and also the very reason he is sitting in physical pain in Chicago...I do not care for MU or its stupid fans, but I did think MU was capable of beating lowly Nebraska in Columbia (with a full roster), and for the most part I have respect for Mike Anderson going back to his UAB days. My hidden/rambling point here is having a decently strong BigXII (MU, TX, aTm, OSU, OU, Baylor, etc..) only helps KU come March/April. We need MORE 'big' games & competition to help prepare us.

jcepp 6 years, 7 months ago

Who cares about our mid season ranking. We jump up to third next week, 'cause Puke or NC will lose tomorrow.

The voters always give more credit to the most recent loss.

If you want to pat yourself on the back, read Ken Pomroy's ratings or the Sagarin pure points rating. KU ranks first in both. And it all means squat.

Unlike football, they settle it on the court.

jayhawkman 6 years, 7 months ago

Not that it's at all related to any topic of discussion on this thread but I was really disappointed that the insert in the paper for the game yesterday was a picture of Oranges.

Us going to the Orange Bowl instead of Missouri had nothing to do with last night's basketball game. Isn't it usually Missouri who has to bring up irrelevant events when trying to talk smacK? I really thought that we had more class and were better fans than that.

There are endless ways to make fun of Missouri's basketball team that would have been far more relevant than talking about an invite to a football game - especially since in the only head to head match up last year they beat us.

klineisanazi 6 years, 7 months ago

As long as KU is in a position to get a #1 seed, I don't care about the rankings....
This isn't football. This team's fate is in its own hands, and not in the hands of voters or old guys in loud coats.

actorman 6 years, 7 months ago

"Thanks to them for reminding me that syrup on s--t doesn't make pancakes."

Classic!

Jayhawkman, I understand your point, but there was just no way that KU fans could resist giving Mizzou crap about the Orange Bowl. It's all in good fun, and I don't think there's anything classless about rubbing the snub in their faces. That's nothing compared to, say, not shaking hands with the other team. But that's Mizzou, classy as always.

John Brown 6 years, 7 months ago

They go to MU because they never succeeded 'Home Training'. Coach Anderson says that he has to be their Father and their Mother because they act like thugs at the University Bar's. But this shows that he has no class. Maybe he is a perfect fit for MU a continuation of Norm Stewart, and Quinn Snyder!

Jim Pendleton 6 years, 7 months ago

Totally agree with the rankings meaning squat this time of year. However, it is aggravating when after we lose a game in any sport, we seem to take an unnecessary hit in the polls. Pretty much a given we would drop behind Duke & UNC-Roy, but UCLA in the coaches poll? Guess they put more stock in how good they looked Saturday against Arizona than the two losses they have (one more than us), which were both at home no less.

DallasHawk 6 years, 7 months ago

I agree with the Orange Bowl stuff. I think it was great that they honored their accomplishments at Halftime and I love our Football team.
But seriously, that can't be the best thing to slam misery with. They gave us great fire power with their ongoing trashy antics the weekend before.

Great time to be a JayHawk!

Tuskin 6 years, 7 months ago

Did they shake hands after the game?

LAJayhawk 6 years, 7 months ago

And Don't forget, jayhawkjim80, one of those losses was to USC as well. I don't really care about the rankings at all right now, but I understand why someone might bring it up.

About the game: the guard penetration of mizzou (and similarly of the last couple of games, especially KState) definitely has been a problem. What bugged me about the KState game was how little pressure our guards were putting on defensively, especially considering how the KSU backcourt (and frontcourt for that matter) was constantly in our grill. The reason why it didn't affect us as much last night is because mizzboo does not have any post players with much relevance -- thus the rebounding differential (I mean 48 to 25 is just ridiculous). If missouri has a Beasley down low (or at least a quality guy or two), the outcome would have been a bit different. The rebounding differential would have evaporated, and they would have gotten a lot more points in the paint. I don't mean to be a wet blanket on a good win, but certainly that's something I would like to see improved (and so, apparently, does Bill Self).

And chuckberry32, you are right on about the missed bunnies. It started to remind me of the UCLA game last year..................

Kit Duncan 6 years, 7 months ago

The JW staff got what they intended when the students used the inserts to taunt MU. It makes sense to use the Orange Bowl theme since the school used this game to honor the football team on their victory. What better time to use it since next year's football game is once again at neutral Arrowhead, and besides, it's an away game on paper.

Great game 'Hawks!

bmcmich1 6 years, 7 months ago

Navy, I think it was the UDK that provided the orange inserts...

Does anyone else think that Nolan Richardson should enter a Nelson Mandela look-alike contest?

LAJayhawk 6 years, 7 months ago

Tuskin, yes. The ESPN coverage showed both teams shaking hands at the end of the game... and neither side looked too excited about it.

Ben Kane 6 years, 7 months ago

ESPN is ranking the all-time best coaches Phog and Roy are on the list but need some help so they don't lose to punks like coach K...go vote!

actorman 6 years, 7 months ago

Sorry, but there's simply no comparison. Although I can understand people not particularly liking Coach K, and although I realize this may brand me as sacreligious, he deserves to be ranked ahead of both Phog and Roy. What he's done at Duke is remarkable. Remember, at one point he had a string of five straight trips to the Final Four, at a time when no one would have thought that could be done. Duke had been a good program before he got there, but he turned it into an elite program. As great a job as Roy did at KU and has done at UNC, the only coach who should be ranked ahead of Coach K is Wooden.

Ben Kane 6 years, 7 months ago

actorman, are you telling me K is better than phog??? I don't even know how to respond to that. Look at all the great coaches that phog tutored! At least neither Phog or Roy dyes their hair so they look good on TV!

afilmer 6 years, 7 months ago

yeah, i have to go with actorman here.

i'm not a coach k fan (except he has the opportunity to beat NC three times a season), but what he's done at PUKE is pretty amazing. there was no basketball there before he arrived, and they are now in the same class as KU, UCLA, kentucky, and indiana.

1. wooden
  2. bob knight (please forgive me for ever thinking that)
  3. henry iba
  4. quin snyder
  5. coach K

6 years, 7 months ago

afilmer -

I firmly believe you have slighted Quin Snyder in your rankings. Please reconsider.

afilmer 6 years, 7 months ago

wooden has championships, knight has wins and the perfect season, and iba brought the game into the modern era. i can't bump him up.

6 years, 7 months ago

None of those gentlemen you have mentioned, delighted the KU faithful as much as Q being at the helm in Columbia. Surely that fact, albeit a somewhat intangible one, counts for more than a few championships, no?

afilmer 6 years, 7 months ago

coach Q did bring a commitment to mediocrity that many try to attain (think danny nee, ricardo patton, and whoever coached rice in the mid 80's) - but what he brought to the forefront of the college game was that presence, that savvy way of handling the media, and young girls. his hair teasing and mid game adjustments to his tresses rivaled the actual X's and O's manipulation of, like, pat summit, if she were pretty.

his legacy can't be measured in the number of wins and losses on the court, but rather, in the number of hearts broken, audio tapes used in lock up, and years it takes to fully recover from his imprint.

much like john hinkly jr., he will not be soon forgotten.

goldlighting 6 years, 7 months ago

Where was the Mizzou coach during this hand-shaking snub? What a role model MA must be for his thugs! Misery's jealousy of KU has gone beyond hate, they rightly deserve the reputation they have nationally. I would be so embarrassed for our university and state if KU acted like that!

KU 6 years, 7 months ago

Regarding the comments about guard penetration against our defense: We've never been particularly good at preventing it, going all the way back to Roy's days. Whenever a team wants to spread you out and penetrate and dish, it's tough to defend because you're pretty much one-on-one. K-State had success with it for the past 5 or 6 years with sub-standard talent against us. Bobby Knight's teams (may he retire in peace) have always given us trouble that way.

This is the way Coach Krybabyshevsky has chosen to play offense this year because he doesn't have any credible Bigs and he has 4 or 5 guys that are good ballhandlers. They line up 4 guys on the free throw line-extended and open up the floor for penetration. If we play Duke I can see them slicing us up pretty badly. I'd be tempted to play zone against it.

actorman 6 years, 7 months ago

Mea culpa for me. I apologize for not listing QS ahead of Coach K. That was a major oversight on my part.

Chuckberry, yes, I'm saying that Coach K deserves to be ranked ahead of Phog. As an ambassador for the game and a contributor to the history of the game, no. But as a coach, yes. If you look at the history, as great a movitavor as Phog was, he supposedly wasn't as great with the X's and O's. Supposedly Dick Harp had a lot to do with the actual game strategy. In addition to that, Phog's winning percentage--in an era where there wasn't nearly as much parity as there is now--was significantly lower than Coach K's has been. So with far less competition he had a lower winning percentage, and won only one championship compared to three for Duke. Sorry, but as I said there's no comparison.

in_a_RUSH25 6 years, 7 months ago

Duke is good and they proved it last night. ellington didnt have a single three. GO DUKE