Sunday, March 2, 2008

Take that, ‘Cats!

Jayhawks get even with KSU

Kansas University guard Sherron Collins trots back on defense with a wide smile after drilling a three-pointer in the Jayhawks' 88-74 victory over Kansas State. Collins hit three of seven treys - and KU 11 of 23 - in the victory Saturday in Allen Fieldhouse.

Rock Chalk pride comes out for ESPN visit

The national spot light was shining on KU this weekend as ESPN hosted College GameDay live from Allen Fieldhouse. 6news reporter Cory Smith was on campus to see rock chalk pride at its best.

Audio clips

2007-08 March 1 KU-KSU Basketball

Go figure

Fouls by KSU's Michael Beasley (2) and Bill Walker in the first half

Fouls by KSU's Michael Beasley and Bill Walker in the second half

Points by which KU outscored K-State from 3-point range

Points by which K-State outscored KU in free throws

47.8

KU's 3-point percentage (11 for 23)

45.8

KU's 2-point shooting percentage (22 for 48)

9, 8

Jayhawks who played, Jayhawks who recorded at least 1 steal

20, 3

Points by KSU's Jacob Pullen in the last meeting, points Saturday

Revenge, payback - whatever you want to call it - certainly is sweet.

"Everybody was looking forward to this game since we lost at K-State. We didn't like what happened at K-State," Kansas University junior Brandon Rush declared after exploding for 21 points off 7-of-16 shooting (five of nine threes) in the Jayhawks' 88-74 victory over the Wildcats on Saturday at wild, crazy Allen Fieldhouse.

"Then this week they were talking again. We wanted to come out and prove a point," Rush added.

The Jayhawks definitely made up for their nine-point loss to KSU on Jan. 30 in Manhattan - a victory that was "guaranteed" by Wildcat freshman phenom Michael Beasley, who promised another victory Saturday.

Beasley wasn't half bad in scoring 39 points, tying for the fourth-best single-game scoring performance by a KU foe in fieldhouse history.

But Rush, Sherron Collins (18 points) and Russell Robinson (14) and others who accounted for 15 steals were sensational, too.

"I was aggressive tonight," Rush said. "They said Dominique Sutton shut me down in the second half the last time we played them. I didn't like hearing it. Tonight I think I proved a point. I played both halves."

Rush, who had just three of his 15 points in the second half of the loss in Manhattan, had 13 the first half Saturday in helping the Jayhawks roll to a 41-29 lead. He tallied eight the final half as KU had no letup and moved into a tie with Texas at 11-3 atop the Big 12 standings.

"It feels good to know we're tied. Now we're going to try to win it," Rush said.

Texas' loss at Texas Tech earlier in the day wasn't needed to provide the Jayhawks with motivation Saturday.

"To show you how geeked up our guys were today," coach Bill Self said of the Jayhawks, "at pregame (meal) we usually turn on the TV. We turned on the Texas game. I asked the guys if they wanted to watch it? They said, 'No.' They knew they'd burn up energy pulling for Texas Tech."

Of Rush, who admitted he did catch the end of the Texas loss in KU's players' lounge, Self said: "He was terrific offensively. He looked like a pro going up and shooting the ball. He was good from beyond the arc."

The Jayhawks took control of Saturday's game when Beasley left the court with his second foul just 2:05 into the game, with KU up, 7-4. By the time he returned at 13:05, KU led, 23-9.

Rush had 11 points and Darrell Arthur six, and the Wildcats kicked the ball away 11 times as the Jayhawks opened a 32-11 lead at 9:32.

Self cited the energy of both his team and the fans for the early surge.

"The crowd was great. That makes such a big difference," Self said. "We don't take our crowd for granted at all, but we don't get this type of energy in this building but a couple times a year. Now was a great time to have it."

Beasley did provide a scare by scoring 11 points in a 17-6 run that had the Cats within 10 (38-28) with 1:57 left in the half.

Up 41-29 at the break, the Jayhawks opened the second half on an 11-0 run to grab a 52-29 lead. Rush had three points, and Darnell Jackson, who played just three minutes the first half because of foul woes, had six, including one on a slam on an offensive rebound and another off a lob from Robinson.

KSU did cut the gap to 13 at one point the second half, but the decision was never in doubt, even with Beasley putting up 39, scoring some points against man to man, some against a 1-2-2 zone and some against a box-and-one defense that Self said was "terrible."

"Hands down he is the best player in the country," Self said.

KU, however, had the last laugh on the player who said he'd play and beat the Jayhawks in Manhattan, Lawrence, even Africa.

"Africa, Africa," the fans chanted at Beasley and the 'Cats in the final minutes.

"You heard the fans chanting. Nobody on our team is going to Africa to play him," Darnell Jackson said. "It wasn't about beating him. We laid an egg against them there. We wanted to win tonight. Now we want to take care of business in the league."

Of course, KU still could meet up with Beasley in the Big 12 tournament. If not there?

"Where in Africa does he want to play?" senior Robinson said. "That might make a difference. Nah : he's a great player and a great guy."

Next game is Monday's Senior Night contest against Texas Tech, set for an 8 p.m. tipoff on ESPN Big Monday.

Comments

scootja32 6 years, 5 months ago

That was an awesome game to be at.

My ears still hurt.

cincyHawk79 6 years, 5 months ago

Now that is more like it. I saw a team with a lot of fight and energy. We played a lot closer to our potential.

11-23 3's 15 Steals

Held Walker to 9 points and his "Head Case" attitude and fouls only allowed him to play 19 min.

Pullen was a non factor like he should be. We didn't create a new superstar!

Rush took 16 shots which is more like it.

Collins was big off the bench with 18 points.

Robinson played better and actually finished drives to the bucket.

Rebounding was solid.

On the down side we still let Beasley score 39 and we were back to 61% shooting from the line. KSU down by 18 and Beasley has the ball behind the line. Even I knew he was going to find a way to shoot a 3. We made it too easy by being 5 feet away from him. We need to close the gap on 3 point shooters.

Chalmers surprised me with a poor shooting night but I was very pleased with the effort.

Now we have to play like this on the Road! Great win Hawks!

actorman 6 years, 5 months ago

You summed it up perfectly, Jaybate. I was hard on him but not hard enough. If he was quoted accurately and in the appropriate context (which is always a big if), there is simply no excuse for such an inane comment. It actually reminds me of a line from Rudy (something like, "You just summed up your whole sorry career"). Now I'm not saying Brandon's on THAT level, but it is a truly horrible comment to make.

"Beasley isnt an "awesome guy", hes a thug. The whole kstate team is a bunch of thugs."

On what basis do you make that comment, OklahomaJayhawk? Walker, yes, I think we've seen enough cr*p from him to get that picture. Martin, yes, given his history. But what exactly has Beasley done to deserve being called a "thug?"

Kirk 6 years, 5 months ago

OK, payback is over. Now we'll begin to see what kind of team we really are.

If Collins keeps coming on, this could be fun.

David Reed 6 years, 5 months ago

"Where in Africa does he want to play?"

HAHAHA great line Russ

Ben Kane 6 years, 5 months ago

I agree coach self, they played great! Keep it Rolling! Rus Rob looked like a demon out there.

Eric Dyck 6 years, 5 months ago

"We're going to beat Kansas at home. We're going to beat them in their house. We're going to beat them in Africa. Wherever we play, we're going to beat them."

Sung to the tune of "Africa" by Toto:

I hear the B-balls bouncing in the night But the 'Cats hear only the roars of the KU student section They're coming in at 8 PM tonight The spotlit banners reflect the stars that will lead to their destruction Frank stopped an old man along the way Hoping to find some long forgotten words or ancient X's and O's Phog turned to him as if to say, Hurry boy, they're waiting there for you

It's gonna take a lot for a Wildcat win at the Phog There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do I bless the rain of 3's in the Phog Gonna take some time to savor this win once again

The Wildcats cry out in the night As they grow restless longing for some comfort from their fans I know that I must do what's right As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Sereangetti I seek to cure what's been ailing the 'Hawks, frightened of this thing they'd become

Hurry boy, they're waiting there for you.

It's gonna take a lot for a Wildcat win at the Phog There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do I bless the rain of 3's in the Phog, I watched some 3's rain down in the Phog I bless the rain of 3's in the Phog, I watched some 3's rain down in the Phog I bless the rain of 3's in the Phog Gonna take some time to savor this win once again

OklahomaJayhawk5 6 years, 5 months ago

actorman Do you really think he gives a s**t whether his team wins or loses? This is the guy that is caught on camera spinning a ball on his finger saying he is going to "have fun tonight dawg, i might go off for 50 tonight.... Nah in all seriousness man" Come on, is that not ignorant? And the crap he said about beating us in Africa? I dont see how you can stick up for comments like that. I respect your opinion, but it just seems to me that all he cares about are his numbers. And yes Bill Walker is a thug too.

Drew Alan 6 years, 5 months ago

I almost think it's a good thing that Beasley scored 39 points because of the way he did it. That "team" became a one man show and when Beasley is dancing around the perimeter they are not going to win the rebounding battle, and when we get rebounds, we also get fast break points, and last night we looked ready to run. K-State had a game earlier this year where Beasley scored 44 points, which was a big 12 single game record, and they still lost. We stopped the dribble penetration of their guards with that 1-2-2 zone, which I don't think was even the intended effect, but it solved one of the major problems we have had in recent weeks. this senior night will be pretty special as non of these guys have ended up being superstars, but they are all pretty special in their own way and fantastic contributors to a basketball TEAM concept that Self preaches, not to mention it is essentially a last hurrah for Rush, and Arthur.

eastTXjayhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Bill Kackley 6 years, 5 months ago

What a difference a day makes. Where are all those naysayers now? Looked more like a 3-2 zone to me and we were stopping the dribble penetration in the man defense, because we were playing it with intensity. All the zone did was open it up for Beasley to go wild. Think Self proved his point; we play much better man than zone if we play it like we are capable of playing it.

Robert Brock 6 years, 5 months ago

It might be a good idea to play somewhere other than Kenya unless things settle down real quick.

JHawk74 6 years, 5 months ago

I don't believe Arthur will go pro this year. He has only had an average year. He would benefit of 1 more year in college.

loudog 6 years, 5 months ago

THIS was the effort and fire we've been waiting to see from this team since the last K-State game. Everyone who saw the floor contributed, even if it didn't show in the box score. I thought Kaun in particular played like a man possessed.... I love seeing a big man in a pile on the floor fighting for the ball. I was even pleased with Arthur, even though he fouled out. I remember being surprised that he fouled out because he wasn't picking up stupid fouls, and he seemed to be on the floor a good amount of time (haven't looked at the box score, so I don't know how many minutes he finally had).

That being said, the thing that pi$$es me off about this team it that they shouldn't have needed a "revenge" game to play with this much energy and fire. They should have been playing like this all along. Sure they've played against some competition where one individual on the team was probably more talented than any one particular player on our team (i.e. Augustin, Beasley, Okie state guard whose name I can't remember right now); however, I think we proved last night that, as TEAM, we are more talented than any other TEAM in the nation. And they should be playing that way, regardless of the "revenge" factor.

SDSurferFan 6 years, 5 months ago

JHawk 74- Don't fool yourself, Arthur is gone. It would be amazing if he stayed, but he's a top 10. He's better than Julian.

Loudog- Agree. I don't know about you, but Sasha is like one of those nice kids you used to play hoops with on the playground. Nice, until he either accidentally knocked you out with his elbows. Or nice, until you both went for the ball and he sent you flying into the girls four square game. I've bashed Sasha before for his offense, but he's an absolute beast.

Kackley- I don't know why a D1 elite team can't implement a zone (any type) at anytime. Why doesn't KU? Personnel? Seems that using it through out the game would throw off opposing offenses.

Keys to a deep run. 1. Mario, Sasha, Jackson, Rod, Cole- don't change a thing. 2. Shady- don't foul. 3. Rush- get involved early in the O. 4. Russell don't turn it over on fastbreaks. I've noticed this the last month. He doesn't have the same skills as Mario or Collins. Seems that 8/10 he turns it over.

JNgohawks 6 years, 5 months ago

I agree with loudog, Sasha was great. I think he was the player of the game. He came off the bench and was immediately on the boards, he was a huge spark last night.

okiedave 6 years, 5 months ago

Great game Hawks. The 3 point shot was deadly against K-State.

What I do not understand, in the Okla. State game, I do not remember K.U. shooting more than 3 or 4 three point attempts, but seemed to make about half of them every time. It was like they were banned from 3 point attempts in Stillwater even though the inside game was not there. Anybody have any answers??

tis4tim 6 years, 5 months ago

One of my favorite moments of this game was watching the sequence in which Aldrich and Beasley grappled for the ball underneath the basket. Aldrich ripped the ball away from Beasley sending Beasley flying to the floor.

I agree with the poster above that said it shouldn't take revenge to fuel the desire these guys had last night. They beat K-State to every loose ball (Kaun especially) and as Bill Walton would say, KU simply "wanted it more."

Rush commented that KSU was talking again and that KU wanted to come out and prove a point. Maybe the boys need to develop a minor sense of paranoia in that regard for all future opponents.

Bear86 6 years, 5 months ago

Russel Robinson was player of the game. He set the tone early by driving in for a layup. His intensity on the offensive & defensive ends of the court really shined. What a great way for RR to go out as a senior against our in-state rival. Thanks for stepping up Russell. Now let's see you do it in the tournament!

babyjayhawkfan 6 years, 5 months ago

I remember leaving the bar after our loss at K-State saying to other fans...March 1st can't come soon enough! Great win 'Hawks! I, like many others, have been waiting to see the desire, heart, etc. I saw last night. We have lucked out several times this season being at the top of the Big 12 race (tied now thanks to TT.) I hope this time they don't take it for granted. We can't expect other teams to beat someone for us so we can move up a spot. Our guys need to continue to take care of business. Rock Chalk!

Greg Lux 6 years, 5 months ago

Great Game Jayhawks... Enjoy the moment then lets work on our Zone offense ( we looked totally out of it against KSU zone at times ) .. Work on being stronger finishing with the ball.. Rush, Robinson, Chalmers all need to finish guarded layups better. Brandon knock down those 6 footers .. Shady move your feet on defense and stop watching the game .. Play it when you are in there you are watching to much.. We are so close to being the team that you players, coaches and fans want you to be .. Don't stop improving the little things now that you got your revenge .. Now is the time to really show your stuff .. Be all you can be .. Win that crown and enjoy your moment ...

eastTXjayhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

here's a little tidbit from it...

Andy Katz "The coach reflected on the Jayhawks avenging their first loss of the season by pounding Kansas State 88-74 Saturday night at Phog Allen Fieldhouse, easily the best, loudest and most energetic place to watch a game."

sweet.

Rockchalk_Mom 6 years, 5 months ago

Favorite sign in the crowd: You're not in Africa, you're in the Phog!" That was great!

actorman 6 years, 5 months ago

"Tonight I think I proved a point. I played both halves."

Playing both halves, gee what a concept. I have a big problem with that quote. Brandon shouldn't have to make a comment like that, he should just PLAY BOTH HALVES - EVERY GAME. As loudog and tis4tim said, as great as this was, they should have this type of intensity on a regular basis, not just because of what an opposing team did or said.

"It would be nice to go perfect in Allen Fieldhouse for the first time since 2002."

Holy cr*p, I had no idea KU hadn't had an undefeated home season in 6 years. I couldn't believe it was true so I looked it up. Given KU's domination at Allen, it's incredible that it's been that long, and it's about time it happens again.

"... it's going to take me a couple days of rehab to recover from that TOTO thing....please, no Michael Bolton after we beat Tech...."

eastTXjayhawk, that's an incredibly cruel thing to say and I think you owe Toto an apology.

"Russell don't turn it over on fastbreaks. I've noticed this the last month. He doesn't have the same skills as Mario or Collins. Seems that 8/10 he turns it over."

SDSurfer, I have no idea what you're talking about:

RR: 810 min., 60 TO's, 13.5 min. per TO

MC: 819 min., 51 TO's, 16.1 min. per TO (a little better, but he's usually not the PG)

SC: 518 min., 43 TO's, 12.0 min. per TO

I can see you making the comment in regard to Mario, but it seems like Sherron is out of control a lot more often than Russell.

Dan Pawlowski 6 years, 5 months ago

eastTXjayhawk, "it's going to take me a couple days of rehab to recover from that TOTO thing....please, no Michael Bolton after we beat Tech..." While I think Toto might have been just a notch above Michael Bolton, I do agree with you on the sentiment.

SDSurferFan, "KUDoc- No one commented, but I will give you props on pulling Toto out of your arse. Nice." If you pull something out of your arse, It really should not be shared with anyone

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 5 months ago

Assist to Turnover Ratio

Chalmers - 2.6 Robinson - 2.1 DJ Augustin - 2.0 Curtis Jerrels (Baylor) - 1.8 Byron Eaton - 1.5 and just for fun Beasley - 1/2.3

There are guys in the league higher than Robinson and Chalmers, but among these top Big XII players Chalmers ranks great with the ball in his hands, and Robinson is no slacker either. Most people consider Augustin to be the best point guard in the league.

Greg Lux 6 years, 5 months ago

plasticJHawk sadly not last night ... Chalmers 0.0 ( 4 assists & 4 T.O.'s) Robinson (5 assists & 4 T.O.'s) tried to get to fancy at times.. But both are normally great for sure..

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 5 months ago

True, and none of those A/T ratios are high, but when you play as uptempo as we play you're gonna throw the ball away a time or two or dribble off your foot or something. 4 TOs is definitely too high for anyone, especially a ball handler, but still Russell is all heart and he doesn't turn the ball over 80% of the times he brings it down the court.

t34 6 years, 5 months ago

Does anyone know the name of the song that was played when the team ran out at the beginning of the game? Not the ACDC song they played later on, but the song at the beginning of the game with the video playing as the ran onto the court?

OklahomaJayhawk5 6 years, 5 months ago

eastTXjayhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

okok...TOTO isn't Michael Bolton...99 was a pretty decent song, especially during highlights for the Great One. I should upgrade from Bolton to what??? Culture Club?

justanotherfan 6 years, 5 months ago

The Hawks played great last night. The only thing that troubled me was our comfort with taking threes after only a couple of passes once we got the lead up around 12-15. That is how K-State started getting back into the game in both halves. We would surge out by attacking the basket, then they would tighten up defensively and we would settle for shooting jumpers for three or four consecutive possessions, then we would get back to pounding the ball inside. It's just a little thing that I noticed in an otherwise great win, but that troubled me.

Collins looked healthier and livelier than he has in a few weeks. I don't know if he is starting to feel better or if his conditioning is finally back after being hurt or what, but he looked very good last night.

Sasha was an absolute monster. Watching the game, I thought his numbers were a lot better than they turned out to be. That's the sign that you played a good ballgame.

Beasley was insane last night. He's definitely an All Star at the next level.

MOJHawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Just got back from Lawrence and, since Norm didn't come out as the guest coach, I knew we would win. I have been attending KU games since 1966 and I can't remember a game where the KU fans were so loud for the whole night, not just during introductions or games moments but the WHOLE FRIGGIN' EVENING!!!!!!

I would stack that crowd performance last night against any crowd in any Division One Program in America. The crowds A-F-R-I-C-A cheer at the end of the game was priceless. Booing Digger Phelps when he appeared on the video board was hilarious.

I would suggest that next time, however, Robin Boob Job be made an honorary referee and be forced to run up and down the court. I have never seen Brandon Rush so animated till when she came over to do a postgame interview with him!!!!

LAJayhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Clearly Sherron and Sasha were enormous for us last night. Kaun played absolutely full out. I'm not sure I've seen that level of effort and intensity from anyone all year. Absolutely loved it. Collins, as I said in another post, is almost totally back, but what is most important is that his confidence is there again. He knows he's almost back, and he knows he's better than most guys on the floor. That may be the exact ingrediant this team needs for a Final Four run (assuming the intensity stays high).

justanotherfan, agree, I saw that too. But what concerns me about that is it just doesn't seem like we are a very good three point shooting team. That's odd, because we have several very good shooters on this team. That stretch you were talking about, we went exceedingly cold. Now, obviously Rush finished the game shooting over 50% from 3, but if we could just get a few more guys to knock down a couple more a game, we would undoubtedly be the best team in the country (assuming we play at full intensity). Besides the extra points, it would force teams that tighten down on the inside to loosen up, and our bigs would dominate time and time again. Some of you may disagree, but I think that may be the one point that is most lacking (again, I'm removing the lack of intensity the last few weeks from this). Some defensive areas need improvement (generally it's okay, though, with good intensity), and the guard's need to continue to play smart on offense, but hitting from beyond the arc would make us a championship team.

Sorry for the long post, and feel free to disagree, I would enjoy some other thoughts on this.

Muska 6 years, 5 months ago

Booing Digger...that's great. Like myself, I think that most KU students that are knowledgeable about basketball hate him. He can take his B.S. ACC/Big East bias back to Chapel Hill or South Bend for all I care. And please, take your cheesy matching tie/highlighter combos with you, Digger. Andy Katz, Scott Van Pelt, Seth Davis, and Fran Fraschilla all are great, unbiased analysists. Digger, Billy Packer and Dickie V can all shove one. I wish KU could choose who would call the game play by play or at least choose who we want analyzing at home. I got pretty tired of hearing Dickie V talk about Beasley and Tyler Hansbrough last night.

Muska 6 years, 5 months ago

Oh-----and to any of you who were lucky enough to attend last night, THANK YOU. I couldn't get my tix because I didn't have time to camp, but I was proud of the way our crowd looked on TV. The place was unbelieveably loud even on TV and the crowd looked absolutely raucous. Everyone who was there was great. Welcome to Allen, NIT-bound kitties.

jaybate 6 years, 5 months ago

"Tonight I think I proved a point. I played both halves." --Brandon Rush

Well, Brandon, I think you just betrayed how deep your problems go.

You are now a junior in college. You have played almost 3 entire years of D1 basketball. You are the main man on your team. You play for a great coach and program. You have great teammates. One of your assistant coaches won a national championship and had a 16 year pro career on two bad knees. You have great role models every where you look.

And you think you proved a point by playing hard for both halves of a game.

Incredible! Just incredible!

Playing hard ALL the time is the ante to this game, Brandon.

Are you telling me you had to get humiliated back in mid February and wait till early March to play two full halves of basketball?

I've been one of your biggest advocates.

God I hope you just misspoke a bit here.

But I think you meant every word you said.

actorman 6 years, 4 months ago

You could be right about Beasley not caring about the team; I don't feel like I have enough information to know. But that still doesn't make him a thug. And the Africa thing was clearly said in fun--not that he doesn't believe it, but there's nothing wrong with putting a challenge out there. People take that "guaranteeing" stuff way too seriously. I still don't see why you would call him a thug.