Sunday, February 4, 2007

Law sorry for party

Lead Aggie apologizes for celebration

Allen Fieldhouse is an eerie place after a Kansas University loss.

It's not often that the end of a men's basketball game at the old barn is met with stunned silence, followed by a smattering of boos directed at the other team for excessive celebration.

Texas A&M; went wild after its 69-66 victory Saturday, gathering near center court and jumping around in a postgame party normally reserved for a national championship. Kansas fans felt it was a little too much, and without solicitation, Texas A&M; standout Acie Law spoke up afterward to say he agreed.

"I would like to apologize to Kansas for the way we acted after we won the ballgame," Law said before taking questions. "It was really disrespectful. I think we really let the emotions of the victory get the best of us."

Texas A&M; coach Billy Gillispie said he didn't talk to his team about the postgame jubilation and had no idea Law decided to speak up about it. Law said he chose to apologize because he's "the leader" of the Aggies.

Like anyone needed a reminder of that Saturday.

Law was sensational, scoring 23 points and taking the game over when Texas A&M; (19-3 overall, 7-1 Big 12) needed a rally. Down two points with less than 30 seconds left, Law grabbed a pass on the right side and bobbed his head from side to side at KU's Brandon Rush, as if to say, "Which way am I going?"

He then went nowhere, nailing a three-pointer from where he was standing. It was the dagger that took nearly 40 minutes to deliver - A&M;'s first lead since it was up 26-24 in the first half.

"It was his game at that point," Gillispie said of Law. "He told me he wanted the ball in his hands. I called for something else earlier in the timeout, and he said, 'I want the ball in my hands.' I said, 'OK, you're coaching. You got it.'

"He'd probably be a lot better coach than I am. That was really smart."

Audio clips

2006-07 Feb. 3 KU-TAMU Hoops

Law's trey put Texas A&M; up 67-66 with 25 seconds left. He later hit two more free throws to give the Aggies the three-point lead that held up. The latter charity was his eighth point in the final 1:38.

"He's a pro," Gillispie said. "He's going to be a great pro because he does like it at the end of the games. He's not afraid to make plays."

The killer trey was the only three-pointer Law hit Saturday. It came with Rush, KU's best defender, up on him. It came when playing for the tie would have been an understandable way to go.

But understandable doesn't always cut it. Not when extraordinary is there for the taking.

"This team has confidence in me to put the ball in my hands," Law said. "Tonight I was able to come through for them."

Go figure

62-52KU's lead with 6:33 to play

17-4Texas A&M;'s game-closing run

42.1KU's field-goal percentage against the nation's best defense

34.9Opponents' field-goal percentage against A&M; coming in

46.3A&M;'s field-goal percentage against KU

37.6Opponents' field-goal percentage against KU coming in

1-31Big 12 South's record in Allen Fieldhouse

3Teams (KU, K-State, Texas) tied for second behind A&M; in the Big 12

Comments

William James 10 years, 8 months ago

They came up here and clowned us. It was thier court last night, not ours. If we would have beat them then we would not of had to worry about it.

truefan 10 years, 8 months ago

I'm not going to be mad about Law being classy. I hate that we lost but at least he wasn't a punk about it.

Joe Ross 10 years, 8 months ago

I agree. This shows class in a player and in a program!

theadorableloser 10 years, 8 months ago

Fabio..your an idiot man...they clowned us? no a clowning would be if the beat the crap out of us..Acie Law is a great player, clutch perfomance by that kid, lot of class to apologize for celebrating

William James 10 years, 8 months ago

In the last five minutes, when it counted, they did beat the crap out of us. Todays lesson- You dont have to lose by 30 to get clowned. Unfortunately that was proved last night. You dont have to tell me how great or clutch a player Law is either, I am very, very aware of that fact. Last night anyway, he was better than anyone wearing a Kansas jersey.
Usually, when we lose to a team my instinct is to look forward to a rematch. However, Im not so sure I want to have to go up against that guy ever again.

sajayhawker 10 years, 8 months ago

i'm a jayhawk fan down here in texas and i hated the outcome of that game because especially since everyone down here was going against me...but one thing i hope the jayhawks remember....IS THE AGGIES CELEBRATING ON OUR COURT...we gave them that game....we dominated them all game....but we seemed to make mistakes down the stretch...anyways i hope the Jayhawks remember their celebration and keep it for motivation....because remember when we got blown out by texas last season...we finished the season winning 15 of 16 including the Big 12 tournament...and we gonna do it again

sevenyearhawk 10 years, 8 months ago

I'd say allowing 17-4 run to close a home game would be considered "clowning"

Migady 10 years, 8 months ago

Sevenyearhawk, You're women's team is getting clowned by everyone. Stick to that comment board where you're words mean something. Good luck against Colorado. 0-16 here we come.

sevenyearhawk 10 years, 8 months ago

Bonnie's squad has seven freshmen, any team would struggle in that situation.

Migady, I was actually starting to miss you ...

does your handle have something to do with mackdaddy, because if so - that's just lame!

Migady 10 years, 8 months ago

mackdaddy? I wasnt born in the 50's old ba!!s. Proper usage of the word, "lame" however, got you 3 bonus points. Can you say, "Righteous Dude."

sevenyearhawk 10 years, 8 months ago

"Cause I'm the migady migady migady Mac Daddy migady migady migady Mac ...

I make you wanna Jump Jump The Mac Dad will make you Jump Jump The Daddy Mac will make you Jump Jump Kris Kross will make you Jump Jump"

that's from 1992 - do you wear your clothes backwards, too?

Migady 10 years, 8 months ago

Just so you know, you just quoted Kris Kross. And a lot of it.

sevenyearhawk 10 years, 8 months ago