Back to 2008 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament coverage

2008 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Bring on Memphis

KU dominates UNC on march to title game

KU fans flood Massachusetts Street after the Jayhawks' 84-66 victory over North Carolina in the Final Four on Saturday in San Antonio. KU will play Memphis on Monday for the national title.

Videos

2008 NCAA Tournament

video thumbnail

Full video coverage of the Kansas Jayhawks in the 2008 NCAA Tournament

Feature

2008 NCAA Tournament

Get your March Madness fix at KUSports.com.

— The Rock Chalk chant started with 1:36 remaining, signifying Kansas University's place on the doorstep of a national championship.

KU's men's basketball team beat North Carolina, 84-66, Saturday in a high-energy Final Four showdown, propelling the Jayhawks into Monday's national championship game.

Kansas will play Memphis, another aggressive team that beat UCLA, 78-63, in equally impressive fashion earlier Saturday.

KU's victory in the nightcap demonstrated an almost surreal showing of high and low tides. Kansas led, 40-12, after a furious first-half run, only to see North Carolina storm back and cut KU's lead to four at 54-50 midway through the second half.

Eventually, KU righted the ship and finished on a 30-16 run to secure the victory, led by the 25-point, seven-rebound effort of Brandon Rush.

By the end of the night, the Jayhawks' famous chant was swirling in the Alamodome, as Kansas improved to 36-3 on the season. High-fives and bear hugs lingered in the KU quadrant long after the game had ended.

The Jayhawks will play in the national championship game for the first time since 2003, and will go for their first title since 1988. Tipoff on Monday is set for 8:21 p.m.

Memphis, now 38-1 on the season, is looking for its first national championship with perhaps its best team in school history.

"It's going to be a great matchup," KU sophomore Sherron Collins said.

With everything on the line.

Comments

Alex Staley 6 years, 3 months ago

if no one recorded it you can always wait until it comes out on DVD. NCAAondemand.com. It has most of the tournament games we have played. I know im going to be picking up a copy. I wish they did regular season games though

fansincewilt 6 years, 3 months ago

The group at my house went silent when the Rock Chalk chant began. What a beautiful sound. I bet Roy never wanted to be on the wrong end of that sound.

67coronet 6 years, 3 months ago

Could not believe the outcome! Great job and game by the Hawks! I watched ESPN commentary. Phelps, Vitale, Knight, obviously were not prepared for the final outcome fumbled around for something to say. Even after destroying the tar heels they really did not give KU a lot of praise........now they think Memphis is going to win it all! Sad KU does not get respect!

3rdgeneration 6 years, 3 months ago

Did anyone record the game I would love to get a copy?

SDSurferFan 6 years, 3 months ago

That must have been surreal for Roy. Love it!I'm soooooooooooo tired of Calipari's interviews. "Geez, my team is just having such a great time, great teammates...." blah blah blah blah.Calipari? "I'd like to buy that Datsun b210 in your used car sale lot, how much would you sell that to piece of crap to me for?"

rcaltrider 6 years, 3 months ago

I have it recorded on my DVR but I have no idea how i can get it off of there and onto a DVD or onto my computer. If anybody knows a way, I'd be happy to make copies.

bbeckum 6 years, 3 months ago

Gee, where are all the Bill Self haters and basketball experts that have been so critical of coach and team all season?

classfan 6 years, 3 months ago

KU basketball fans have no class and are cursed. KU will never when a championship because of the curse. You can't blame Roy for taking the step up and getting away from that, and Bill Self will do the same. He's as good as gone....Rock Caulk Chokehawk....Rock Caulk Chokehawk....Rock Caulk Chokehawk

Kevin Long 6 years, 3 months ago

bbeckum-There are always going to be haters on a coach. That is just the way of the sports world. I do know what you mean. Everyone is happy when you win.I think we can finally put the Roy thing to rest. Even if we don't win tom., Bill has got us just as far as Roy ever did and a better win %.

stravinsky 6 years, 3 months ago

It's a good thing we have you to show us how to be classy, classfan. Now I know, going onto another team's news page comment board to heckle people is what's in vogue now. (What are you, 12? I think I've seen more mature behavior from elementary schoolers.)I guess I'll just give up at winning now. Oh well. We might as well just hand it to Memphis. No point in even playing.

Kevin Long 6 years, 3 months ago

What a moron you are classfan! It must be sad that your team is not ever in the championship game. No I don't know who your team is, but I would bet it's KSU or MU.

Dirk Andrews 6 years, 3 months ago

Not only is he classy, but he can also teach us a thing or two about how to spell(win spelled when in the comment, now that's class). I have no idea where you came from, but don't come back here anymore. KU fans don't care about Roy, the media does. We forgot about Roy before he was out the door and we were on our way to consecutive Big 12 championships. And we still weren't thinking about Roy when we hemmed his team up by double digits and made the ACC look like 7th grade Intramurals. Coming onto a team's website and bashing them while having the name classfan, that's just being a hyprocrite.

classfan 6 years, 3 months ago

The jayhawks always choke in the big game. They have won just two National Championships in the last 60 years, but they still think they are one of the nations top programs. Florida has won that many in the past two years. No, the jayhawks are chokehawks and if they forgot about ol Roy before he left why is that all they have talked about this week, and after KU chokes Monday night and Bill leaves a few weeks later we will all have to listen to the whining again. KU has no class, so the great coaches search for better schools with more class and to get away from the KU curse.....Rock Caulk Chokehawk....Rock Caulk Chokehawk....Rock Caulk Chokehawk....

Dan Harris 6 years, 3 months ago

Hey classfan, Mizzu has never even made the final 4 OUCH! I know that has to hurt, now go back to the hole you crawled out of and SUCK IT!!!!!!

lance1jhawk 6 years, 3 months ago

Hey classfan- It must be hard watching basketball this year, even though Mizzery has played a big part in the tournament. I love that Coke Zero ad with Tyus Edny clowning your entire team and your only shot at a Final Four in what 25 years! gotta run your sister just got here!

Dale Kroening 6 years, 3 months ago

Im betting classfan is an upset UNC fan.Its ok ol Roy's soft team will get you back there next year only to break your heart again.This is not the same KU team as teams in the past.They have a chip on their shoulder and it showed,and now the media is fueling the fire even more while picking Memphis,saying we used all of our energy beating the Tarheels.They said we wouldnt stop Curry,then Hansborough.Now we wont be able to stop Rose or Roberts.Once again underestimating our defense.UNC was the #2 offense in the nation and were held to 66 pts on 35% shooting.We'll have something for Memphis come Monday,you watch.ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!

westernkshawk 6 years, 3 months ago

Did anyone read that quote from Rose at their post-game conference: "Going into the game, we knew that we was going to win. Ain't too much to say." Then, "We're just a great team. With the team that we have, it's hard beating us." Talk about arrogance at its best!! I suppose they "KNOW" they are going to beat us too. Guys, let's give 'em a little of what NC experienced and they'll never know what hit them! And, furthermore, he'd BETTER leave for the draft! I don't know much about academics at Memphis but he couldn't pass English 101 at KU!!

jaybate 6 years, 3 months ago

Dean, I mean, classfan, quit chain smoking and typing anti KU email just because your feeble university, boy toy Roy, and your team got its collective butt kicked.Yes, I just learned that classfan is Dean Smith. There. Its out of the closet.Dean, er, classfan, is also adding more strings to Roy's arms.Some guys never give up.