Sunday, February 3, 2008

Extra Minutes: Kansas 72, Colorado 59

Audio clips

2007-08 Feb. 2 KU-CU Hoops

Some thoughts...from Boulder

Gary Bedore, Journal-World KU men's basketball beat writer

"It looked dismal at halftime with CU and KU tied at 30. But the guards got it together and created some havoc the final half. Sasha Kaun had a big game as did Darnell Jackson. The players said Self motivated them at halftime so he probably gets an assist as well. KU seems to struggle after its rare losses, it shakes the team for whatever reason and has been that way for several years now, not just the Self era. So it took 30 minutes to shake off the doldrums and get it together again."

Chuck Woodling, Journal-World sportswriter/columnist

"That old saw "It's tough to win on the road" was certainly appropriate Saturday at the foot of the Flatirons. It mattered not that Kansas had won 36 of the previous 37 meetings with Colorado. The Buffs proved that any team can play like the Celtics, if just for a half."

Ryan Greene, KUSports.com editor

"Mario Chalmers had a solid all-around stat line with eight points, six assists, four rebounds, three steals and two blocked shots (yes, two swats). Chalmers, though, made the play that capped KU's turnaround from a modest first half showing, slamming home two on an outstanding backdoor feed from Darrell Arthur, then hanging on the rim and waiving his arms in the air while facing the KU faithful on hand. He was KU's energy guy in the second half against K-State even when the game was out of reach, and he continues to show that no matter what the scoreboard says, he never believes his team is going to lose."

Inside the numbers

18: After KU struggled to score inside against K-State three days earlier, Darnell Jackson helped lead the charge in KU reestablishing itself inside. He scored a team-high 18 points, but his aggressiveness inside also got him to the free throw line on several occasions, where he was a perfect 10-of-10. Sasha Kaun scored 12 points for KU off the bench, with all four of his field goals coming from inside the painted area.

9: Talk about a tale of two halves. Sherron Collins' only number registered on the stat sheet in the first half was his four turnovers. He also headed to the locker room for a bit after banging knees with a CU player under the basket. Collins came back to score nine points in the second half on four-of-four shooting, including three of his patented tough inside layups. He also turned the ball over just once in the second stanza and recorded an assist on a lobbed feed to Jackson.

21: For the second straight outing, KU was more than efficient from the free throw line. The Jayhawks were 21-of-25 on Saturday, making them 38-of-45 in their past two games. After Jackson's perfect 10 tries, Sasha Kaun continued to show improvement at the stripe, going four-of-five.

34: Another area which needed a pick-me-up for the Jayhawks after Wednesday night was the rebounding department. KU outrebounded CU 34-21. The Jayhawks grabbed 24 defensive boards while limiting the Buffs to eight offensive caroms.

8: Brandon Rush got some words of advice from his mother over the phone after he disappeared in the second half in the K-State loss. Saturday he carried his effort for the full 40 minutes, scoring eight of his 15 points in the second half, including a soaring one-handed jam in transition in front of the CU students who were chanting unfavorably at him moments earlier while he was shooting free throws.

Just in case you missed it...

Quietly, Sasha Kaun has been one of KU's most valuable players off of the bench in the past few games. Those contributions have been more noticeable lately with foul trouble plaguing Jackson and Darrell Arthur ahead of him a bit. Saturday was about as good as it gets for Kaun, who was four-of-five from both the floor and the free throw line. He's also continuing to take it hard to the rim against overmatched opposing big men.

Hopefully, you didn't miss it...

The final 10 minutes of this game presented plenty of positives which could help KU in the long run. After playing semi-sluggish for 30 minutes after the K-State loss, the Jayhawks went on a highlight-filled loss, capitalized by an incredible soaring dunk by Mario Chalmers off a backdoor feed from Darrell Arthur. On top of that, Brandon Rush stayed solid and carried over a strong first half into the final 20 minutes, plus Sherron Collins showed more flashes of his early season self with three slashing, acrobatic layups. Add in the confidence gained from having a 50-50 crowd on the road, and those final 10 minutes could be a nice springboard into the next three Big 12 games against Missouri, Baylor and Texas.

They said it...

Bill Self on defensive improvements in the second half: "We guarded better in the second half. Of their 59, they probably got 20, at least, or 25 on scouting report things that we broke down on. They're hard to guard, though."

Bill Self on the first half: "I thought that we were careless with the ball, as evidenced by the 10 turnovers, Sherron turns it over four times against no pressure in five minutes, we just weren't very good. And then we didn't take advantage of going against their bigs, because King-Stockton was their only big that they played the first half after Wilson gets his third foul. We never attacked Roby inside. We just didn't play to our strengths. I was surprised we had 30 points, to be honest with you, because we didn't play to our strengths in the first half."

Bill Self on his team's highlight-filled run late: "I really think that Sherron's pass to Darnell, Mario's pass to Brandon in transition and then the backdoor play, we actually had three athletic plays in a row that gave us confidence and got our guys going, no doubt."

Bill Self on delivering the news of K-State's loss to his team at halftime: "I told the guys at halftime K-State got beat, that may have put a little pep in their step, too...In the back of their mind, they probably thought, 'You know what? We caught a break, now we've got to make the most of it.'"

Bill Self on the KU-heavy crowd: "I don't know how many were there, but it had to be at least 50-50 I'd think. Great crowd, and I don't know how much this game actually cost, did you guys know? Because you had to buy three to get the game, didn't you? A lot of loyal Jayhawk fans in Western Kansas and Colorado that paid a pretty penny to see this game."

Sherron Collins on Bill Self's halftime speech: "I think coach Self changed it at halftime. Just told us what we needed to do, basically, and got after us a little bit in the locker room, which we needed. We came out with more energy and turned things around."

Sherron Collins on his brief exit in the first half: "I just did a jump stop and went knee-to-knee pretty hard."

Sherron Collins on what Mizzou's win without key players means: "Just shows us they're a good team. They beat K-State, so we still can't look past them like it's gonna be easier. Somebody has to step up and fill his shoes, and I'm pretty sure somebody did if they beat K-State today."

Darnell Jackson on hearing about K-State's loss: "I didn't care. It's just a loss. Everybody loses games. And we can't worry about any of that. We have to go out and play."

Brandon Rush on his solid second half after struggling in Manhattan after the break: "I just played to my strength, tried to get to the hole a little bit, tried to get a little contact and get to the free throw line and made a few open shots then found my teammates. I felt good out there in the second half...My mama jumped on me again about going to the hole. She got on me after the K-State game saying I disappeared in the second half. She's out there in Indiana, so my brother probably gave her little pointers on what I needed to do."

Brandon Rush on how Missouri will be different without Stefhon Hannah: "I think they're a lot different because Hannah is their playmaker, he can shoot it, creates his own shots and it's gonna be big. I don't know how they beat K-State without Hannah, but it's a good thing they did."

Mario Chalmers on his backdoor dunk feed from Darrell Arthur: "I was surprised that Shady threw it. I wasn't even expecting it, and I just saw it come my way and just went up with it."

Comments

jaybate 12 years, 3 months ago

"And then we didn't take advantage of going against their bigs, because King-Stockton was their only big that they played the first half after Wilson gets his third foul. We never attacked Roby inside. We just didn't play to our strengths."--Bill Self on first half of KU-CU

I've got an idea, Coach. When an opponent's big gets 3 fouls, call a time out and say in a very firm voice, "Attack the guy with three fouls." Then start benching guys if they don't.

This is nuts.

For the second game in a row (first Walker vs. KSU, next Roby vs CU), Self can't get his own players to attack an opponent with three fouls.

What am I missing here?

How about this: Brandon, attack Roby.

Or this: Darnell, attack Roby.

Or maybe this: Sherron and Mario, attack Roby.

jaybate 12 years, 3 months ago

Achilles Heel Warning:

What is with our bigs and rebounding?

Shady: 4 DBlock: 4 Kaun: 3

This is anemic.

If it weren't for a short guards boarding vs. CU, we'd have gotten wiped on the boards.

Did KSU come up with the recipe for beating us? Keep our guards off the boards and you can win the rebounding battle, because our bigs can't board?

In just two games, I've gone from thinking our bigs were increasingly a strength of this team, to thinking they are the Achilles Heel, despite their improvement.

And what's with Aldrich getting only one minute against a weak team like CU, when DBlock and Shady get four fouls each?

Aldrich needs more minutes. Even though the kid is raw as hamburger in a meat locker, he can rebound.

The KSU game proved that Shady, Darnell and Kaun WILL need help against teams with two good bigs.

Aldrich needs minutes against weak teams like CU to develop enough to help against teams with good bigs.

Help me, help me, help me, I think I'm going insane from these bigs lack of bounding.

jaybate 12 years, 3 months ago

Regarding FT shooting,

Has KU gotten a lot better at FT shooting, or have they just been hot and will descend back to the low 60s?

jaybate 12 years, 3 months ago

KU eeks by MU.

KSU whacks KU.

MU loses three players.

MU eeks by KSU.

The B12 has gone retro and is caught up in Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense."

God help us if they start listening to "Burning Down the House."

Joe Ross 12 years, 3 months ago

You call it "anemia".

It sure felt like it in the first half. We looked like we were just starting the season over and hadn't been on the court in sixth months. Maybe the start of this "second season" (post loss to KSU) will see us progressing slowly until we peak at just the right time in March.

ku98 12 years, 3 months ago

Rebounding has not been our strength all year, but I'll cut our bigs some slack for yesterday's game. CU shot 23 three-pointers, missed 14, and these are "long" rebounds that the guards are more likely to get. And regardless of that stat, we do have guards who aren't afraid to mix it up in the paint and rebound, so none of our bigs will ever average 10+ boards. That's just the way our team plays. Nice job from the FT line yesterday, and kudos to Sasha who has played really well lately.

jackhawk 12 years, 3 months ago

Strange thing: we are 21-1, 34-2 (or something like that), once again leading the league by a half game, the only league team, I think, to win on the road, and all of the above "blogs" are critical of the team's play and of the coach. Man, what does it take to please you guys?

Kirk 12 years, 3 months ago

Greene never fails to focus solely on individuals, dunks, and NBA bravado.

Joe Ross 12 years, 3 months ago

jackhawk...

how about playing up to our potential? is that too much to ask? geez!

Joe Ross 12 years, 3 months ago

Its February already!!!! March is a short 26 days away. When do you want us to get it together jackhawk? In May????

nocaljayhawk 12 years, 3 months ago

Word, jross1972...time's running short.

With the SB this afternoon, I'd like HCBS to break out the football pads, put lids on the AFH rims, and work on boxing out and rebounding for a couple hours.

cincyHawk79 12 years, 3 months ago

Jross Jack didn't piss in your cornflakes. His point is well taken in that we are a top 5 team and you can't play all 32 plus games at your potential.

This is college. UCLA two loses. UNC one or two loses after Wednesday. Duke will have one or two loses come Wednesday. Memphis can't lose in their High School league.

I just hope that we peek at the right time and that is not February 2nd.

Joe Ross 12 years, 3 months ago

Cincy...

You obviously know nothing about basketball. I could care less what the record is so you can save your sermon for someone else (I seem to remember a KU team that won it all with double-digit losses). Its how we play that matters!

His point is NOT well taken, and least of all by me! KU cant come out and play against other teams how they played against KSU and the first half of CU. The fact that they put three halves together of mid-major brand basketball is concerning, and if you dont get that then either youre ignorant of basketball of dont truly care what our chances are.

Its not all apple pie and ice cream!

didjabuti 12 years, 3 months ago

jross It's not life and death either. It's also out of our control... and I'm pretty sure yours. The truth (or how I percieve it) is that this year, for the first time in at least the last 5, the Hawks look like a team that has a shot to win it all (minus a few games). They play well together and don't look to be forcing it. I've seen them do everything they will need to do to win a NC. I think that a month is plenty of time to put it together. Remember you said it's how we play that matters. one or two games do not a season make. If they did, then that championship team you mentioned with double digit losses would not be a championship team. Now, I was not old enough to remember that season, but I would imagine there were plenty of things that needed improvement in early Feb. 1988.

Joe Ross 12 years, 3 months ago

I dont know who youre arguing with didjabuti, if youre saying what Im saying. I didnt make this a life or death argument, but the ills have to be fixed. As far as pulling it together, Ive said the same thing in another post since yesterday. True, one or two games doesnt make a season, but burying your head in the sand about whats wrong with the team (like jackhawk and cincy) isnt a realistic perspective to have about where your team is. As far as things being improved, I have no doubt that they will so dont portray me to be a dark cloud. THAT, I am not. But I AM a realist, and reality is this: we cant play like we did in either halves of the KSU game or the first half of the CU game and expect to win a national championship.

Marcia Parsons 12 years, 3 months ago

Yesterday was their first time playing against that "modified Princeton" offense. Maybe it took them a while to get the hang of it. I'm sure it wore the guards out running from player to player. And Jaybate, maybe Coach DID say those things to the team, but for some reason they didn't or couldn't carry through. It's pretty easy for all of us to sit in front of our TV and make judgments. Very different when you're in the game. I'm just happy we found a way to win, and have every confidence that we can do it next time, and the next...

cincyHawk79 12 years, 3 months ago

Jross are you talking out of your mouth or your asss?

Speaking of sermons you're the one on a soapbox! Good to know that only your point matters. Yep I know nothing about B-Ball but my point exactly with the Hawks. Danny and the Miracles won because they played as a team and peaked at the right time. They lost a bunch of games because they did not play up to their potential. Again show me a team that played all 32 plus games to their potential. They lose 1 game and played a couple more less than expected and you want to act like the season if over. I would bet that there is 300 plus teams that would like to in the Hawks shoes right now.

In '88 you must have been trash talking that team all year and then when they won it all you probably patted yourself on the back about how they finally did what you said!

Good Job Jross!

Joe Ross 12 years, 3 months ago

Cincy...

You have no idea what KU basketball is. No, its not my point that matters. The plain and simple fact is that NOTHING anyone says here matters...not in the sense that it changes how the ball is going to be bounced on the court, or how it goes in the hole.

But I can see Ive ruffled your feathers though (as evidenced by your laughable attempts to question my fanhood), and the lesser part of me is happy about that because you are obviously the kind that ATTEMPTS to grate on peoples nerves. Makes little difference either way I suppose, because Ive seen people like you come and go here with more pomp and circumstance than you. How does insignificance feel? Hard for your ego to take? The fact is the what I said is the truth, and if it burns you youll have to live with it.

laughs

cincyHawk79 12 years, 3 months ago

Yep laughs here too! I thought maybe you were a lifer on here!

Cheers too you!

didjabuti 12 years, 3 months ago

My apologies jross, after looking back we were pretty much saying the same thing. I guess I was mostly replying to the second part of your reply to cincy where you came off pretty chicken-littley (I swear that's a real word). That's just how I read it though. Obviously, by your reply it is not how you meant it to sound.

Joe Ross 12 years, 3 months ago

thought we saw Lew Perkins in the sky box in front of Peyton Manning. Did anyone else see that?????

ku98 12 years, 3 months ago

Yep, I saw him, sitting in front of Peyton Manning. Not a bad gig for the old man...

whitsterman 12 years, 3 months ago

ya, i thought that was him the first time it showed peyton, and when they showed him again, i was sure of it. must be nice seats...

jaybate 12 years, 3 months ago

Is Lew being courted to take another AD job? Say Ol' Miss? I reckon the Manning boys and their dad, could come up with enough cash to lure an AD into Oxford to bring it around.

Or are the Colts looking for a GM?

B12 ADs don't just show up in the same sky box as Peyton Manning coincidentally.

lance1jhawk 12 years, 3 months ago

Lew is just trying to milk a million dollars every other year out of the Manning's so we don't have to go back to Camerohead again! ;)

ku98 12 years, 3 months ago

Jaybate, Peyton went to Tennessee, so while I find your theory interesting, I also find it unlikely. Lew is a powerful guy in college football.. He just pulled a few strings, that's all.

danimal33 12 years, 3 months ago

Jaybate, In respect to KU's bigs "anemic" rebounding: When CU shoots 46% of their shots from 3 point range, that leaves a lot of long rebounds that the guards will usually get. Couple that with the fact that they made 9 of those threes, and their aren't a whole lot of rebounds to go around for the big guys. Fact is, we outrebounded them 34-21, and that is thanks in large part to our big guys getting position, regardless of whether they or the guards actually got credited with the boards.

doubled96 12 years, 3 months ago

Lew has ties to Gatorade, which is why he was in the same box as Manning. Nothing more....

cincyHawk79 12 years, 3 months ago

I thought that was Lew too until they showed some of the owners and management. One of the photos looked like Lew too.

ku98 12 years, 3 months ago

Cincy, are you saying it was not Lew? I GUARANTEE that it was him.