Thursday, November 22, 2007

Jackson plans quiet holiday

Hawks shoot over 60% from the floor

It was 2004 the last time the Kansas basketball team started the season 3-0. That year the Hawks shot out of the gate to a 14-0 record. Tonight, sans Sherron Collins, the Hawks went 4-0 against NAU.

Bring on the Lumberjacks

After a six-day layoff, the Kansas men return to action in the Jayhawk Invitational against Northern Arizona. DJ Whetter has more from the Fieldhouse.

Useless trivia with DJ

DJ Whetter and Andrew Baker play useless Fieldhouse trivia.

Audio clips

2007 KU-NAU Basketball

Most of Kansas University's basketball players will be eating Thanksgiving dinner at Lawrence native Brady Morningstar's childhood home today.

While appreciative of an offer to chow with the Morningstars or with coach Bill Self, whose house is always open to his players, senior Darnell Jackson will pass this year.

"I'll stay in my room and eat with my mom, enjoy Thanksgiving with her," Jackson said of mom Shawn of Midwest City, Okla. "She came up to see me, and I'm really thankful for that."

The two will have a lot to talk about : including the first 3-point basket of Darnell's career in his first official attempt.

The 6-foot-8, 250-pound Jackson swished a 3 from the wing in front of KU's bench with 6:59 left in the second half of KU's 87-46 rout of Northern Arizona on Wednesday at Allen Fieldhouse.

"The 3 felt good," Jackson said. "I knew the clock shot was going down before Rod (Stewart, eight points, four assists) threw it to me. Coach Self said, 'Knock it down, D.J.' When I heard that, I knew I should shoot."

Self wonders if Jackson may have been hearing things.

"These guys are unbelievable with some of the quotes they come up with," the coach cracked. "Oh my goodness gracious, I don't think that's the case. He is a good shooter. It was good to see him make one. I guess he and Shady (Darrell Arthur) have both made one now. His was a little softer than Shady's. Shady banked his in (against Louisiana Monroe)."

Amazingly, Jackson launched another 3 the next time he touched the ball.

He missed.

"I got too greedy," Jackson said. "The second one was not so pretty. I should have never shot it."

Comments

jayhawkr34 7 years ago

Let's all be thankful of Darnell's play thus far....and not to mention his 100% from the 3. No really Darnell, me and the wife have both noticed your improved play, and your more intense look...meaning we both have said"he'll be in the NBA next year." Keep up the good "hard" work DJ. Georgia and Jason

nicka 7 years ago

jayhawkr34 -

Did you watch the game last night?..or even read the article above? Darnell shot a 3 and missed the next time he touched the ball after his big make. That would mean he is shooting 50% from 3. I guess you the wife were too excited about Darnell being in the NBA next year to notice.

By the way, DJ is going to have to bring something beyond our wildest imaginations to fulfill your prophecy of him making the NBA. Have you checked out the NBA lately? They are professionals. Wayne Simien hasn't been able to stick in the NBA, and you think DJ has what it takes?

William Cormode 7 years ago

Wayne was drafted by a roster loaded at his position and he has been injured or sick his entire time in Miami. Having said that DJ might be able to play in France.

jayhawkr34 7 years ago

uh dj hit a three nicka? you are the one mistaken, and get over your self

nicka 7 years ago

jayhawkr34 -

First, you show your ignorance, with your comments about b.rush a few days ago. Then, you say that DJ is going to the NBA. Now you are telling me that I was mistaken about the stats. dj hit a 3 and missed a 3, just like I wrote above. I am not mistaken about anything.

wcormode -

noted on Simien, but he was traded to the Wolves and cut immediately. I could have easily said "if alonzo jamison didn't make the NBA, then how will DJ?". Overseas is a possibiity for DJ. The point is, the NBA is made up of the BEST PLAYERS IN THE WORLD, not nice players that play hard.

husbus 7 years ago

ummmm.... once again, i'm needing to monitor these comments on a daily basis. jayhawkr34... happy turkey day and please think before posting.

nicka 7 years ago

p.s. your self should be yourself.

husbus 7 years ago

jayhawkr34 ... since you are the next dick vitale. can you share your expertise with me on the entire team. please break down each players strengths and weaknesses and let me know who you and your wife thinks will go to the nba.

quigley 7 years ago

Why don't you guys lighten up. Don't you have anything better to do than act tough on a message board?

jayhawkr34 7 years ago

wow!! i have always monitored my childs time on the internet, too bad more parents dont do the same. lets see i dont agree with "b-rush" using ku as a rehab, but yet i get hammered about liking and admiring Darnell Jackson's dedication to the Kansas Jayhawk basketball program, and making himself and the program itself look better.......as far as the "b-rush" thing goes..enough said.....rehab. crazy....monitor yourselves

jayhawkr34 7 years ago

husbus, get over yourself too,please

jhawklifer 7 years ago

Happy Holidays, everyone. Wow. While I think DJax could play pro somewhere, the NBA does seem unlikely. Eduardo Najera was more skilled earlier in his career, but his NBA career has proved him to be an energy guy, which is what Jackson would be, too, so maybe there's hope. Maybe also think Reggie Evans. I also remember Josh Howard coming out of nowhere his senior year at Wake and changing his future based on hard work (hello, max contract from the Mavs). To a lesser extent, the same can be said for "pop star" Rod Stewart for us this year, who figures to get key minutes even after Sherron comes back.

Let's try to keep it civil, can we?

jayhawkr34 7 years ago

right, you can have differing oppinions with out all the name callin, thanx, oh and all the non"monitoring" huspus

nicka 7 years ago

jayhawkr34 -

just apologize for saying I was "mistaken" about Darnell's 3point %, and start editing your thoughts before putting them out there for the world to see, and we can all have a happy thanksgiving.

jayhawkr34 7 years ago

me apologize? you truly have a "god" complex nicka, sure i'll apologize when you learn to be less of a "wanna be" moderator.....when you do, you'll get my apology

CasperCorps 7 years ago

Jackson has more of an NBA body then Shady..

husbus 7 years ago

jayhawkr34... in case you haven't noticed, we only comment when you point out worthless material. good day and rock chalk.

nicka 7 years ago

an NBA body is useless if you don't have the skills.

jaybate 7 years ago

I see DJ as someone who has gone through a personal crucible that would have wrecked many persons, young or old. It seems to me that Bill Self has coached DJ in ways that aim to save his life, not just get what he can out of him in hoops. Self seems to have used DJ in ways that maximize his chances for success and minimize his chances for failure in order to ensure he gets through the trauma and its aftermath.

Without all of DJ's difficulties, I reckon Coach Self would have just said there's a chance he's better than guys ahead of him last year and this and thrown him to the dogs to see if he could cut it. Self has done this with several players. Padgett, Rush and Sherron with more talent. RR, Mario with similar talent (at their positions) and Kaun with less. Padgett couldn't handle it and it goofed up his career. Rush could and he became a super star. RR could and he blossomed into a great floor player. Kaun seemed to respond well, but then just didn't have the skills to be anything but a post defender who starts but effectively plays early to avoid him being on the floor late.

DJ looks exceptionally talented to me. There just aren't too many 6'8" 250 pounders with his combination of mobility, fundamentals, strength, rebounding instinct and shooting touch. And yet Self has always made him a sixth or seventh man behind guys who simply were not that much better than he was. His productivity per minute played over time makes this unarguable. I really think Self is protecting DJ, giving him time if you will, so that he can have a chance to recover from the horrors he has had to go through.

I can't think of a worse environment than the fish bowl of college basketball in which to recover from such traumas. The ferocity of the competition alone is enough to break the spirits of a lot of players who have few outside problems to contend with.

DJ just seems too good to me to explain his supporting role and 15 minutes of PT any other way than Self is protecting him from too much pressure, responsiblity and ego assault for his own long term good. Based on ability and performance, alone, he seems to me like he should be playing 25 or 30 minutes a night right now. Maybe he is injured again, like last year, and that is curbing his minutes. But it doesn't seem like it.

In any case, he's easily the best KU big man that ever was asked to spend his career as a reseve that I can recall.