Friday, March 23, 2007

Still standing

KU outscraps SIU, joins Elite Eight

Brandon Rush didn't feel jubilation after winning the biggest game of his college basketball career.

"I feel relief," Rush, Kansas University's sophomore forward, gasped after the No. 1-seeded Jayhawks somehow survived a 6-for-13 free-throw effort down the stretch to clip ball-hawking, defensive-minded No. 4 seed Southern Illinois, 61-58, in an NCAA West Regional Sweet 16 game Thursday night in HP Pavilion.

"We are fortunate to get that win. We didn't play too well. But we got it. We got it. I am proud we got it," Rush added of a victory that propelled the Jayhawks into Saturday's Elite Eight contest against UCLA.

That Elite Eight showdown will tip off at 6:05 p.m. in HP Pavilion.

Rush, who scored a team-leading 12 points - believe it or not, he was the only Jayhawk to finish in double figures - converted on what KU coach Bill Self called "the biggest possession of the season."

He hit a bank shot in the lane with :25 to play, upping a 59-58 lead to three points.

"I knew somebody was going to have to step up. I said I would be that player," Rush said.

"It was a new play coach put in at the end of the game: 'Just give it to the guard, let 'em try to penetrate or pitch ahead to our big guy posting up. If you get the chance, just pull up and take it,'" explained Rush, who hit six floor shots without a miss.

Go figure

26 Points scored by SIU off KU's 19 turnovers10 Points scored by KU off SIU's 15 turnovers36.8 SIU's field-goal percentage59.5 KU's field-goal percentage10 Points scored by each team from the free-throw line4 Free throws missed by SIU9 Free throws missed by KU7-for-31 The teams' combined three-point shooting

Of course, the game was not yet over after Rush's bucket.

KU (33-4) would have to sweat it out against the Salukis (29-7) - who scrapped to grab a whopping 17 offensive rebounds to KU's six - until the final buzzer.

SIU's Jamaal Tatum, whose three and two helped SIU slice a late four-point deficit to one (59-58) with 47 seconds left, missed a three at :11. Randal Falker grabbed the offensive rebound, but had the ball swiped by Russell Robinson. Robinson fed ahead to Julian Wright, who was fouled going in for a dunk at :02.

Wright missed both free throws - "I was ready to get back on 'D,' but you've got to hit the free throws first," Wright said - but was able to exhale after Tony Young missed a halfcourt heave at the buzzer.

"This is new for all of us. We're on a great ride now. We're able to practice again and play another game," Wright said.

It looked as if KU had hit a season-ending bump in the road against a Saluki team that shrugged off an early 10-2 deficit to lead 33-27 four minutes into the second half.

But KU stayed close and grabbed a 47-45 lead on a bank shot by Robinson with 6:19 to play. KU actually took the lead for good on a Darnell Jackson inside hoop at 5:03, giving the Jayhawks a 50-49 advantage, though the game went all the way down to the wire.

"It was a fabulous win," Self said of the victory against "the toughest team we've faced all year.

"The game went exactly the way I thought it would. I thought because of their swarming defense, the first one to 60 would win the game. I really thought that.

"We had to shoot 62 percent to score 61 points. That doesn't happen often. I'm proud of the way we won a grind-it-out game."

So proud he deemed it, "Our biggest win at KU (in his four seasons). Coaches always take great pride in nailbiters. But the game is Saturday. Let's say what it is, the game is Saturday. This puts us in position to win that game (and reach Final Four)."

The players say Self, as well as bench players Darnell Jackson (eight points, five rebounds), Darrell Arthur (nine points, two boards) and Rodrick Stewart (three points, good defense in nine minutes), were instrumental in helping KU reach the Elite Eight contest.

Jayhawks survive 'Sweet Sixteen' scare

The Jayhawks survived the tight defense of the Southern Illinois Salukis to advance on to the 'Elite Eight' round of the NCAA Tournament.

"Every time we came to the bench, coach said, 'Don't get down. Don't get down. It's a long game,''' Robinson said. "He told us to take it possession by possession.

"Coach said, 'It's a long game. That's a good team,''' Robinson added. "We've got a lot of respect for Southern Illinois. More now than before the game. That's probably the best team we played all year."

The Jayhawks, who have won 14 straight games, didn't look pretty despite hitting 59.4 percent of their shots. KU had 19 turnovers.

But KU did win, something the Jayhawks say simply wouldn't have happened a year ago.

"Last year, I think we definitely would have lost this game because of our lack of experience and our lack of execution late in the games," Rush said.

"We'd have lost the game last year. We had guys not give up. We didn't get down. We showed our maturity today," Robinson noted.

Self agreed the season would be over had last year's team faced such an adversity-ridden game.

"No. No. We wouldn't have won that game last year. We weren't ready. Three freshmen, two sophomores," Self said.

"Tonight wasn't as much fun for our guys, not as much fun as Chicago," he added of last week's victories over Niagara and Kentucky. "In Chicago, they played the way they wanted. Tonight, they couldn't. We were fortunate to play their (Salukis') style and won.

"We are not savoring anything here at Kansas," Self continued. "At Kansas, you don't savor very long. We happen to be playing Saturday. I'll enjoy this, laugh, smile, giggle, but not celebrate. We came here to win a two-game tournament, and that's what we're out to do."

Comments

Jonathan Andrews 7 years, 5 months ago

I'd say that describes us pretty well.

We were forced to play their style, and stole one from their own "nest", the grind-it-out game. Our defense wasn't as obvious to the casual observer, but holding the Salukis under practically every statistical average for them (all %'s, rbds, stls, blks) is a tough and "stealthy" way to gut out a W.

GO HAWKS!

justinryman 7 years, 5 months ago

OK I have read a few other web sites, and nobody is talking about KU's D. SIU shot what %? Yeah not great, was it an off night or did they have to fight for good shots too? Cmon give some credit where credit is due.

Sigmund 7 years, 5 months ago

"We showed our maturity today," Robinson noted. Exactly correct. This teams talent has never been questioned, they are as talented as any team in the country. What showed last night was maturity, courage, bravery, and poise. I absolutely love this teams character and spirit. CONGRATS HAWKS!!! Lets get a couple more.

RAWKCHALKJAYHAWKGOKU!

jayhwkroks 7 years, 5 months ago

A W is a W. At least it shows that our Hawks can play the other teams game and still win. Now take care of the Bruins. Whats up with this home court advantage for a #2 seed. Something wrong there. GO JAYHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

justinryman 7 years, 5 months ago

It took about minutes of game clock to figure out that you have to drive and then dish the ball to an interior player or kick it back out. Thanks to Mario and Russell for their ability to start drving the lane. If they would have kept making passes 37 feet away from the rim, they would have gotten beat. Nice adjustment by the coaches and the players. After getting by "the best D" in the tourny, shoul be a lot easier come Saturday.

DCSven 7 years, 5 months ago

U-G-L-Y we ain't got not alibi, we WON it, UGLY, ya, ya, we WON it. Phew!

Great maturity, poise, and GRIND, GRIND, GRIND it out.

Congrats to a great SIU Squad who is one of the best teams in the country!

On to UCLA, another opportunity for a little history lesson, but as importantly an opportunity for this Jayhawk squad to make their own history adding a W over UCLA, just as they did over Kentucky (great decision Tubby! Good luck at Minnesota, they're lucky to have you).

Chicago_JHawk 7 years, 5 months ago

The shotclock violation occured like 3 minutes into the game, so it can't be argued that it had a direct affect on the outcome of the game. Over the course of any game, several calls are missed. You just play through them.

craigers 7 years, 5 months ago

Great game. I do agree with most of you that are speaking of Saturday not being so easy. However, I don't think KU will be shaken as much as they were last night with tough defense. They made it through it and made some very rushed ugly passes that got stolen. They won a very ugly game and I am proud. Let's win on Saturday and show what a great squad this is and win it in their house. Stick it to 'em Hawks. This won't even come close to being as hectic of an atmosphere as K-State or Mizzou so I have faith in the Hawks. Go get em HAWKS.

mcoan 7 years, 5 months ago

No comments by the coaches or players (and only one poster above) about almost losing a game on free throws? Lame.

I swear, Self doesn't take free throw shooting seriously. Why do they get to leave the gym until they've made 7/10?

tis4tim 7 years, 5 months ago

jhwkfan,

As far as your first comment: I have heard nothing BUT how three calls went in the Jayhawks favor and the insinuations that KU got the victory because of calls like those. I've also heard how unimpressive the Hawks were yesterday.

I gotta say, I know a team can and will get criticized by the media from time to time, but I have really, really had it this tourney with the complete lack of mention of KU, the ignoring of this team and then the perpetual yammering on and on about how lucky they were to do this or that or the other thing.

Yesterday, we play a scrappy team, one Bill Self called the best they've played this year, a team every media outlet has been saying should NOT be considered anything less than a major (not a mid), but after we win with grit and guts all we hear about is the dunk after the buzzer, the fact that SIU had a violation of their own and whether or not that ball hit the rim, and other 'questionable' calls in KU's favor. It's BS.

What about the moving screens KU was called for, but not SIU? What about how Russell Robinson was mugged and flipped upside down going for a loose ball, but it was ruled out of bounds to SIU? What about the fact three of our starters had at least two fouls a piece by the third TV timeout? It really makes me angry.

But, the fact is we won. We're playing again. The fact is we've now had our bad game and we got a win. It won't happen a second time. We played the opponent's game and beat them at it. I hope we kick UCLA's a**.

Rock Chalk!

jayhawks71 7 years, 5 months ago

"The shotclock violation occured like 3 minutes into the game, so it can't be argued that it had a direct affect on the outcome of the game"

A basket at any point early in the game is counted the same as a basket at the end of a game. People often claim that they are different, but in the end, they count the same on the scoreboard. A bucket at the end of the game might be a "dagger" and be more psychologically damaging if a team lets it get to them, but every basket is a direct influence on the score (the ONLY criterion that matters for discriminating W vs. L). It had a direct effect on the outcome of a game that is ended three points apart. In fact, I could easily argue that it had an even BIGGER impact on the game than a late call would have (because it might have changed the entire face of the first half and beyond!). I agree though that incorrect/questionable calls are made and you play through them. Every call is perception and most of those calls are subjective. However, had KU lost by one and the late dunk been made by SIU, there would be a bevy of posts here ripping the officials for "costing us the game."

Ugh free throws are going to be our downfall. I have been around KU basketball long enough to not want to relive all the times where missed free throws (just shooting a decent percentage) would have meant the difference between a W and an L. Let's go 'Hawks!

Jeremy Bolinger 7 years, 5 months ago

exactly, we won and are still playing........as for the referees, they were equally bad. Noboby can sit here and tell me with all of that pressure defense, that every foul was called. If we play a team like that and pressure them and hack at them, like siu did, we will be in serious foul trouble. But my hats off to siu. They played amazing defense, but ours was better. I believe they shot 37 % for the game.

jayloco 7 years, 5 months ago

jhawkfan1625-

I think the fact that it was so early in the game makes it a non-factor. SIU had plenty of possessions to make it up. Yes it was a blown call, but it would be lame of anyone to say it cost them the game.

2) In theory, defense should be like that all the time, but let's be realistic, have we seen any team in America play defense better than SIU this year. I have now seen 3 of their games and all 3 they completely frustrated their opponent and were vicious on the defensive side of the ball. I give them credit for being a great basketball team. Yeah, everyone should play D like that, but in all honestly no one does it like SIU.

3) I think that we need to give credit to our defense as well. They shot what like 30%? We played their style of ball and came out victorious. I agree a litte with your sloppiness statement, but realize that is the byproduct of the immense amount of pressure that SIU put on us defensively.

I think you'll see a much more fluid game vs. UCLA on Saturday. The defensive pressure will not be as great and I think you should probably see the KU brand of basketball we have seen most of this season.

mcoan 7 years, 5 months ago

I suggest that other J-W posters do the sportsman-like thing and visit http://www.thesouthern.com/articles/2007/03/23/sports/19705346.txt to post some good comments about the Salukis.

jayloco 7 years, 5 months ago

jhawks71-i respectfully disagree. There is no way you could "easily" argue that the call might have had a BIGGER impact since it was early in the game and not at the end. That one play would have changed the entire 1st half?? Come on now man. That is REALLY stretching it don't you think? If we are going to sit here and argue that blown call, we could argue all kind of other things like, what if the refs would have called a tighter game and hit SIU with all of those hand checks, push offs, etc. that they were using to maul our guys all over the court? That would have resulted in more fouls and led to potential points at the free throw line for the Hawks. I think it is all just part of the game.

That being said, I agree with others that we seem to get punked on a lot in the media. We narrowly survived SIU, we were fortunate to get the win, KU lucks past SIU. These are what people are saying. Why can't people give us our due? We beat SIU at their game. Something should be said for that. If they tried to run with us, we would have beat them by 20.

indyhawk 7 years, 5 months ago

wow what a game!! That was a real nail bitter if I have ever seen one!! I am real proud of these guys they went in there and played a hard faught game and survived!! These guys are showing that it takes toughness and a mentality of steel to win when it's important and thats something I haven't seen in a Kansas team for a long time!! Bring on UCLA!! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!

palewhale 7 years, 5 months ago

Crooner said...

"Bluejay - known for robbing eggs from other birds' nests Sparrowhawk - stealthy hunter

I'd say that describes us pretty well."

Don't forget about the...

Brown-headed cowbird - Lays its eggs in other birds nest to be raised by the other bird species.

Actually, I have no idea how that applies.

Dani Davey 7 years, 5 months ago

Yeah the ref's bad call got us a free two points in the first minutes but lets remember a couple things:

• SIU got more than 2 free points on ridiculous calls against us
  • We won by 3. So even without that two, we scrap it out.

Yeah they didn't look their best last night but lets hope that scare gets them fired up again to take on UCLA on Saturday. They've got it in them...ROCK CHALK!

Dani Davey 7 years, 5 months ago

Oh and I agree about the media stuff. Anyone else notice that Memphis won by one and their headline is "Memphis wins" but we win by three and it's "Kansas survives". Give me a break. I hope we win the title this year if for no other reason than to shut some of these talking heads up and finally get a little respect.

CindiCat 7 years, 5 months ago

Mornin All...........

"Dani".....I agree with your post.

Has anyone gone to the WHINE & Cheese party on ESPN yet? Jeez.

Rock Chalk Jayhawks!!!

KU 7 years, 5 months ago

Gritty win against a gritty team. Like I said earlier in the week, it was the kind of win that showcases what Bill Self can do with a team--make them tough as nails.

I predicted 67-55 early this week. Had we hit our free throws I would have been pretty close. I think the fact we hit 50% from the line bodes well. The last time KU fans got themselves tied in knots about free throws, the boys came out and nailed about 85-90% the next game.

Now for UCLA. This should be a classic perimeter-based Tournament match-up. We can't let Afflalo and Shipp and Collison get hot from the arc. Their post offense is anemic, so I SURE hope Self goes away from doubling down. Have faith in our Bigs' length and let them take UCLA's Bigs one-on-one. We can't afford to have our guards diving down to help, which (as we saw against SIU again), leaves the opponents with open 3's.

KUDB99 7 years, 5 months ago

OK, I'm so sick of hearing about the "great" Saluki's defense. The MO Valley goon squad needs to get over themselves, and the rest of the country needs to bury this brand of basketball where it belongs, back in obscure gyms in "Middle-of-Nowhere, Illinois".

It's the same type of goon squad ball that Norm Stewart used to play at Mizzou, and that netted them exactly 0 Final Fours, even with all those very talented teams they had there in the 90s.

This style of thuggy, crappy basketball allows mediocre talent to spring an occasional upset against better talent. But just about any time that a prepared and talented team plays a team like the Saluki's and doesn't panic, they win. The Hawks didn't panic last night, and let their shot makers create. KU is still KU, and the "Valley" is still mediocre, now go home.

Jim Baker 7 years, 5 months ago

"The players say Self, as well as bench players...were instrumental in helping KU reach the Elite Eight contest."

I just thought a positive comment about our coach's ability to win a close game that really could've gone either way would be a welcome addition to this forum. Way to go, Coach! Given the way SIU came out and was able to dictate the defensive pressure (thanks in large part to the refs) I think the way we hung in there and out-scrapped the scrappiest team in the tourney was a testament to how much this team wants to win---no matter what, no matter how.

The shot clock violation on JuJu's dunk was a NON-FACTOR in the game. Period.

I too feel like the national media hasn't given us our due. I was actually surprised that Jay Bilas didn't try to balance out all of the "non-commentary" by Dick Enberg regarding all the EXCESSIVE contact by giving us a few props. But hey, they aren't supposed to dog the refs, either, I suppose.

jayloco 7 years, 5 months ago

wincojhawk- Mr. Whitlock of the KCSTAR apparently had a front row seat for Self's performance. He said it was a masterpiece. Maybe a little exaggerated, but there is no doubt that Self pushed a lot of the right buttons last night. I 2nd the "Way to go Coach" sentiment!

Tad Shurtz 7 years, 5 months ago

SIU's first two points were gifts from the refs. Faulker practically did a ballerina spin on his pivot foot, stopped, curtseyed, slid, went up with his back to the basket FROM THE FREE THROW LINE, made no attempt at a shot, but the refs went ahead and called Mario for a tick-tack reaching foul that mysteriously put Faulker on the line.

jayhawkgl 7 years, 5 months ago

Slight mental break down at the end. If Wright had just dribbled the ball out instead of going for the dunk and getting fouled, the game would have been over. Otherwise, it was great to see the poise win out...you could see the frustration setting in, but they kept it together just long enough to make it to the end of the game.

EXks 7 years, 5 months ago

Hey I agree with tis4-tim's post, my sentiments exactly.

The sports announcers on CBS had a love fest with SIU and dissed KU.....granted, I think some lousy ref calls were made on both teams, but it didn't take much to note who CBS wanted to win.

And now we Phil Taylor with SI.com writes that KU's last game will be this Saturday.

read below

Com'on Hawks kick A**! Make CBS eat crow!

Jacobpaul81 7 years, 5 months ago

I'd love to ignore the poor ref-ing and crap announcing that seems to be plagueing NCAA basketball these days, and simply celibrate an elite 8 birth for my Jayhawks. Occasionally though, the ref-ing is so bad, and the announcing so completly off base, that you just can't help but think, "What!?"

I'm still trying to figure out how an offensive player can use his elbows and arms to hook a defensive players body. I'm pretty sure that's an offensive foul... but SIU was allowed to do it all night long.

Then when Russel Robinson does it, the idiot announcer (where's Fran when you need him?) says he better watch out, cause they'll call him for pushing off. Whoever that was (was it Bilas?) is turning into Dick Vitale Jr. He doesn't even watch the games.

As for the Jayhawks, Way to go! Toughness! Mental Toughness. I think Self has done one hell of job with this squad, and I think it's funny how quickly the negatives towards Self have dried up from Kansas fans.

JM Andy 7 years, 5 months ago

I urge everyone to e-mail CBS Sports about those freakin' announcers last night. COME ON! Could they BE more one-sided? I hope they choke on the 'Hawks continuing victories....all the way to #1, BABYEEEEEEEE!

JayCeph 7 years, 5 months ago

Aside from the drama that is truly part of last night's game, I was (am) impressed with the Salukis' sportmanship.

Kansas guard Rodrick Stewart celebrates as he picks up forward Julian Wright after Wright was fouled with seconds remaining in Thursday night's game against the Salukis at the HP Pavillion in San Jose. Left is Southern Illinois guard Bryan Mullins. by Nick Krug

They have my respect if for no other reason than this pic.

digitalkookie 7 years, 5 months ago

tis4tim...thank you for noticing the moving screens!!!!!!! those non calls cost us at least nine points in the first half alone...unreal.

ROCK CHALK!!!!!!!

JM Andy 7 years, 5 months ago

Send your comments about last night's announcing to:

NCAA broadcasting staff...

Greg Weitekamp Director of Broadcasting gweitekamp@ncaa.org

Chris Fitzpatrick - Manager of Broadcasting cfitzpatrick@ncaa.org

Jeramy Michiaels - Manager of Broadcasting jmichiaels@ncaa.org

Frank Rhodes - Manager of Broadcasting frhodes@ncaa.org

cellogrl 7 years, 5 months ago

Okay, I have 3 things to say. First, yes I've been hearing the crap about last night's calls, but I also have to say that I heard over and over again in the media last week about how we were the best team in the tournament last weekend. They gave us our props there.

Second, if they don't put headlines like "KU Survives" how many non-Jayhawk fans are going to read it? Everyone wants a good #1 almost upset story. No one but Jayhawk fans or people who picked us to win in their bracket want a celebratory, "Yay KU Won" article. I understand your viewpoint and from a fan's perspective, totally agree, but if you think of it from the newspaper perspective, you gotta get them sold.

Also, yeah, I did get ticked at the CBS commentators last night too. They were TOTALLY on SIU's side the whole time. Also, that si.com article ticked me off last night after the game. It will be a rough game Saturday but I don't think that ANYONE can pretend to know the outcome, much less Sports Illustrated writers.

cellogrl 7 years, 5 months ago

Okay, I forgot this until right now, but did anyone else notice the commentators calling Rodrick Stewart LODRICK Stewart? Get your twins straight and which team they play for! Lodrick doesn't play until today!

yovoy 7 years, 5 months ago

this siu team seems to be have established a reputation for playing good 'd', and the media, and the REFS seem to have bought into it. this is very similar to the way the sooners of the 80's used to get away with hand-checking and body-riding on defense.

as much as their contact impedes the offensive player, and allows the defender to gain an advantage it should be called a foul instead of "intense, swarming defense". the way their guards were allowed to push our guards off their path on any drive was allowed more than any game i've ever watched. it's just strange that by the end of the game they couldn't do it. i wanted to strangle bilas at one point when he said that russrob was getting close to pushing the siu guard off, when the guy would ride him 10 feet on EVERY possession.

i'm glad we won, see 'em on sat.

Roadkill_Rob 7 years, 5 months ago

Bill Self made the necessary adjustments and instilled confidence in his players down the stretch. I like that we're considered the underdog b/c of the UCLA home court advantage.

Bill Self is the best coach in college basketball and I hope his players follow suit and become the best team in college basketball.

cellogrl 7 years, 5 months ago

By the way, does anybody besides me see the irony in the fact that yesterday everyone on here was all gung ho about the commentator for last night's game and today all they are doing is bitching about it? (I'm not excluded from that either)

jayloco 7 years, 5 months ago

I think Bilas was so one sided because he felt the Hawks were in danger of being ousted only because they weren't playing their game early on and looked a little lost. Keep in mind that Bilas did give KU props by choosing them as his final four rep from the West on espn.com

jayloco 7 years, 5 months ago

Cellogrl, I think everyone was just excited that the jackhole Billy Packer was not doing our game. If you all thought Bilas was bad last night, everyone should count their blessings that Packer was not the color analyst last night. He would have clowned us left and right.

jayhawker_97 7 years, 5 months ago

for all i can say, KU had a really good supporting crowd last night!! we were silenced by Tantrum-boy everytime he made the basket, we were frustrated by the stupid refs, we were outnumbered by Salukis fans (well, UCLA fans who hoped KU lost), but we are really proud of what Hawks boys did to win. give big credit to coach Self for designing the plays!! too bad, Aggies can't represent big-12 in the tourney, alongside with the Hawks!!

go JayHawks!!

michael anway 7 years, 5 months ago

This was clearly Bill Self's best coaching job at Kansas. He was terrific before and during the game. Way to go Bill!

Jim Baker 7 years, 5 months ago

Yo, yovoy! Spot on, dude!

It was obvious early on...Mario goes up for a 15 foot baseline jumper (i think it was his first shot in the game) and gets hit from the side and knocked out of bounds...no call! After SIU got the rebound, we get called for a very ticky-tacky hand slap. That call set the tone for the whole game. They were definitely riding us hard and we couldn't even get close to them without a whistle (ala moving screen calls) so I too think the refs had a preconceived idea of what SIU defense is supposed to be like. BS; a foul is a foul and we overcame that obstacle too. ROCK CHALK!! BEAT UCLA!!

caddie733 7 years, 5 months ago

There were a ton of blown calls by the refs (Julian's shot clock violation, the goaltending that wasn't called, and SIU's shot clock violation when the ball clearly skimmed the rim), but why should KU feel as if they need to apologize or feel like they stole one? First of all, they had nothing to do with the calls, the refs made the mistakes...there's nothing KU can do about that. Secondly, mistakes are a huge part of sports...so people just need to deal with them and move on. And in the end, it really came down to who made their shot when given the chance. Rush made his shot to put us up 3...they still had a chance (a good look) and missed...simple as that. I mean, they could also look at Mullens blown lay-up followed by Tatum's blown put back as a reason for why they weren't two points closer (and therefore, not in need of a 3 at the end).

Great win, however, the free throw shooting was terrible (glad Mario showed up for the game...2 airballs and crucial freebies missed)...I guarantee we will lose to UCLA if the free throw shooting doesn't improve. That team won't shoot as poorly as SIU...so I hope KU got all their tension out and can go back to playing an intense, yet under control, style. (and for the love of God, can Julian not bring the ball up anymore on fast breaks...I loved his 3 on 1, left-handed layup from 5 feet...when he had 2 much better options...a dribble-stop, 5 foot jumper or an outlet pass to the wing for a three).

Kyle Crenshaw 7 years, 5 months ago

get it done! this is what everyone wanted... a 1-2 showdown between two of the most storied programs in history. lets kick their tails in their own backyard!

jayloco 7 years, 5 months ago

I think a shout out should go to our boy Roderick Stewart and the minutes he has been providing off the bench in crisis situation. I remember thinking with 5 1/2 minutes to go(approx) and Chalmers, Wright, and Rush on the bench each with 2 fouls, I would have been happy going into half down less than 5. We actually ended up playing pretty well with those 3 starters on the bench and were up 3. Great job Roderick providing some key sub minutes last night!

jayhawks71 7 years, 5 months ago

Because you say a call/noncall had no influence on the game or that it was a "non-factor" does not make it so. Would you say an early call that ends a long scoring drought or another team's scoring run doesn't matter... because it was early in the game? Give me a break. The argument can be made easily that calls near the beginning of the game are just as important as calls at the end of the game and perhaps moreso. Your inability to understand the argument does not change that. A shot at the end of the game influences the time remaining and the scoreboard. A shot early in the game influences the rest of the game and the scoreboard. However, in case the obvious isn't clear, a call at the end of the game has far less game to influence.

How about an early foul call that gives a player a third foul 10 mins into the game? Would you suggest that because that occurred early in the game that it didn't matter? The point is that people perceive those calls at the end of the game to be so much more important to the outcome of the game than early calls/non-calls because their connection with the outcome is far removed. An early "ticky tack" call or a non-call can completely change the way a coach instructs his team to play defense. If SIU got called early for what, in most games would be called fouls, we might be talking about a 25 point KU victory because SIU wouldn't have been allowed to play so aggressively. SIU was allowed to play with more contact because that IS their style; the same contact for a team that does not play that way typically, gets called.

For those who want to suggest that we (KU) would've still one despite "a blown call here or there", the shot clock non-violation (a possible two) that went against SIU and Julian's dunk (a certain 2) played a role in the game. It is that simple. A free throw early in the game counts the same on the scoreboard as the one that puts you up one at the end of the game. Without the early one, the second one ties the game.

And cellogrl, perhaps you remember back when "Dwight" Gooden played for KU? :-)

RockyInn 7 years, 5 months ago

KU players not leaving isn't news Maybe you could get them to play a game this summer in LFM... and then smoke dope under the soul tree. Make sure they bring bullet-proof vests.

jayhawkstacey 7 years, 5 months ago

i was watching in a bar with no audio.... does anyone know why sasha sat out most of the game?

BigTamale 7 years, 5 months ago

Good points Jhwkfan1625...

Dick Enberg is getting up there in age...But Jay Bilas is one of the more insightful color commentators for College Basketball.

Ask yourself this question: Would you rather have Billy Packer or Jay Bilas?

Its a shame that Kevin Harlan doesn't do the Regional Finals Games because of his commitment to TNT and the NBA, because HIS CALL is BALANCED!

Well, if we make the Final Four we'll have Billy Packer calling the game.

justinryman 7 years, 5 months ago

I wish Westwood 1 radio had put Kevin Kugler on the game(instead he did the A&M game). He is a great play by play guy, great enthusiasm for the game and holds nothing against either team. He's out of Omaha nebraska and does the local ESPNRadio show from 3p to 6p on 1620thezone.com. Yeah Packer has to be put down like an old race horse, he's had his day let somebody new in the game now.

bmcmich1 7 years, 5 months ago

I wouldn't be too hard on the bilastrator--I mean after all he is usually the one coming to our defense in the national media and he has us going to Atlanta from the West...at first when I saw all the comments ripping him and Richard I thought "what's the big deal, they had absolutely no affect on the outcome of the game," but then I remembered listening to Billy Packer and I understand...at least we didn't have that clown last night he is so anti-KU it's ridiculous...

Jayhawkstacey, All any of us can do is speculate, but it's a safe bet that King Kaun didn't play because Gaylord Falker was running circles around him and DA and Darnell would have more success. It turned out all right because Darnell played a solid game, actually MAKING two free throws in a row (what a novel idea!)

Coop4KU 7 years, 5 months ago

Anyone else notice that if you remove the "L" from Jay Bilas name, he becomes Jay Bias... He was definitely biased last night. My wife doesn't even like bball and she kept asking why does that guy keep talking about the other team so much? I've always like Jay, but I think that last night was not his best effort. Seemed like he was trying to make the most of a possible upset. Maybe he'll be better on Saturday when the point spread is only 2... Also, what's up with everyone talking about the "home court" advantage that UCLA has? I realize that San Jose is only minutes from LA, but their fans definitely didn't show up last night. Plus, KU fans travel better than any other team I've seen. Hopefully we pack the house and make it a true "neutral" court. Rock Chalk!

JayCeph 7 years, 5 months ago

Numeric nuances:

KU has halved the seeds they've played in the tourny thus far... Niagara (16), Kentucky (8), SIU (4) and now UCLA (2).

Furthermore, their winning margin has diminished by a factor of roughly 2/3 (.66) per game... Niagara (40pts), Kentucky (12pts), and SIU (3pts).

What are the odds of such consistent 'seed/point margin' parallels developing in such a fashion? What are the odds that KU will pull out a 1 point win against UCLA on Saturday?

bmcmich1 7 years, 5 months ago

San Jose is actually around 5 hours from LA...

Coop4KU 7 years, 5 months ago

5 hours = 600 minutes. Still minutes from LA...

Coop4KU 7 years, 5 months ago

I'm an idiot, meant to say 300 minutes.

bmcmich1 7 years, 5 months ago

Not true you r an idiot, sorry, slow trigger finger, but that SJ is minutes from LA

jayloco 7 years, 5 months ago

jayhawks71-I can't speak for everyone else, but I did say I "respectfully" disagreed. To say that we don't understand your argument is a bit arrogant, no? I understand your argument, but I disagree with your premise. I think you have to remember that your first post said nothing about foul calls. Only the particular call on the shot clock violation. To me, it is a little far-fetched to say that this one play, had it been called correctly, could have changed the entire face of the game. I agree with you that FOUL calls can directly affect a game, and you basically restated my rebuttal to you on your original post. There's a saying, "If Ifs and butts were candy and nuts, oh what a party we would have". I could go back and look at the tape of last night's game and provide all kinds of instances where IF something happened the score may have been entirely different at the end of the game. You sort of prove most everyone else's point for them in your 2nd paragraph by giving the whole "if SIU would have been called for hand checks, etc." There are all kinds of instances like this that could change the outcome of the game. I think that is why most people are saying you have to just play through those type of situations.

Don't assume that we don't understand your argument. It just seems too easy to say, "Had those refs not allowed Julian's basket and SIU would have been given the ball on the controversial shot clock violation we would have lost"

Not sure what you were trying to say with this comment:

How is another team's scoring run have anything to do with a ref's call? An early call that ends a long scoring drought? How does the fact that there was a call end the scoring drought? Maybe I am not understanding your stance and if that is the case, please feel free to explain a little further.

It just seems that a lot of KU fans here don't think that the shot clock violation calls should be scrutinized and used to say we almost lost. We are all KU fans so I am not trying to be a punk, just trying to get you to see others' stance on this and get a better understanding of your position.

tis4tim 7 years, 5 months ago

Jhwkfan,

My first run-in with the shot-clock violations came at 2:00 am on ESPN radio. Jason Smith devoted an entire 20 minutes to the three bad calls that supposedly benefitted KU severely. He cited both the shot clock violations (and one other I can't recall at the moment) broke each down and talked in detail about how unfair it was to SIU that all of that happened.

The second was this morning on a local sports radio show. They too talked ad nauseum about the shot clock garbage.

One national...one local. I guess I'm just lucky that way ;)

I'll look at the bright side...I've made several posts about nobody talking about KU. Well, now they are...just not how I anticipated.

bmcmich1 7 years, 5 months ago

I would make an argument that bad calls, missed calls, etc... that happen early in games are NOT as critical as in the latter part because the recipients have so much time to make up for them. Bad calls with seconds left leave the victims with basically no time to right the wrong, therefore making them more critical. That's just my point of view; I can also see the other end of the argument too, like in nature when a butterfly flutters its wings in China it causes a tornado two days later in Wichita.

jsquared29 7 years, 5 months ago

Great win for the Hawks, especially getting one bad game off our backs. I think everyone is giving the players too little credit and the coaches too much. The players are the ones who stepped up and got those baskets. Heck, I could have told them to drive to the hoop. Our players improvised and that is what won us the game.

Michael Foulston 7 years, 5 months ago

bmcmich1, I think you hit the nail, well, you hit it, but not quite on the head, in my mind. I get sick of, "If he'd mad that field goal in the first quarter, this game would be tied right now" crap that we get from announcers, and it's no different with last night's game. There is simply no way to know, had the refs disallowed Wright's dunk, how the game would have played out after that. Maybe it would have pissed KU players off and put them in a more agressive mind-set, giving them a mental edge they hadn't had to that point and they would have gone on a 15-2 run and had the game well in hand in the second half. Or maybe, Bill Self would have gotten himself a technical, SIU gets the FT's and a 3 pointer, and KU never recovers. Both scenarios are somewhat unlikely, but quite plausible. It's just not possible to know.

I think it's also reasonable to think that something happening early on can have a greater impact, but more opportunity to overcome. For example, if I make a wrong left turn 1 mile into a 100 minute timed 100 mile journey, if I don't realize it quickly, I'm pretty much screwed trying to get where I'm going. If I do realize it quickly, I can adjust for it and get to my destination with relative ease. If I make that wrong left turn with 1 mile to go, even if I realize it relatively quickly, I may not be able to recover because I've already used up too much time.

Chaos theory is your friend!

Michael Class of '93

Jacobpaul81 7 years, 5 months ago

Who would want to go to Colorado. They have zero money and zero support (fans or college). They can't afford to piece together a team (hell, Baylor is better off that Colorado). Why not og somewhere like Minnesota where you can start from scratch, and know that they have the "Scratch" to support it?

caddie733 7 years, 5 months ago

SIU fans can cry all they want about calls...it won't change the outcome at all. Let's face it, they are pissed because they got KU to play their game and they STILL lost! If you can't beat a team that goes 16.7% from trey and 52.6% from the foul line, then you are just severely outmatched.

CasperCorps 7 years, 5 months ago

The refs were terrible, had we played the same type of defense that the Salukies were playing we would have had a foul called everytime time down the floor, so if we did get some breaks we deserved them. The refs knew coming into the game that if they called every foul they saw commited by the Salukies their entire starting five would have fouled out in the first half. Instead they seemed to call normal fouls on us and gave them the benefit of the doubt to the Salukies because of their "high powered defense". Refs do watch a little game film prior to working games and after watching a few of the Salukies previous games they probably became desensitized to what was a foul and what wasn't... Anyways did anyone else see that set play, I believe in the first half? It looked like everyone picked up a block before the ball was thrown in and before you knew it the ball was in the paint getting dunked... Made me wish I had DVR cause it was a thing of beauty... Great win and Rockem Hawks!!!!!

jayhawkgrad03 7 years, 5 months ago

Did anyone else watch both games and feel like the UCLA - Pitt game was fun to watch. Partly do to Billy Packer's fun color commentary. And our game was a pain to watch because Jay Bilas was trashing us the entire game. He should realize that he is paid to make viewing enjoyable for fans on both sides.

KU 7 years, 5 months ago

I can't stand Billy Packer any more than the next guy. But as I listened to him call the Carolina v USC game tonight I couldn't help but develop the impression that he is generally very negative in his analysis. I'd like to cut the old b*stard some slack and hope that he really isn't as biased against KU as we all think he is. I bet MOST fans of MOST teams think he sucks.

And the truth is......he does! Dickie V is an ACC/Dookie proponent all the way, but at least his analysis is generally positive. He sees the glass half full. Billy pACCer sees the glass half empty.

And that's the way I see it.

Jim Baker 7 years, 5 months ago

Well that was a very negative comment. Just kidding...BILLY pACCer SU***!!! It will be most excellent to see KU win it all with announcing...BOOYAH!!