Thursday, January 24, 2008

Darnell doubles up

Jackson lifts KU past ISU

Kansas forward Darnell Jackson, left, looks to disrupt a pass from Iowa State guard Bryan Petersen. Jackson led the Jayhawks with 21 points and 11 rebounds in their 83-59 victory over the Cyclones on Wednesday at Allen Fieldhouse.

Reader poll

It's pretty clear KU is the class of the Big 12 in men's hoops this year. Who do you consider to be the second-best squad in the league?

• Texas 27% 1119 votes
  • Texas A&M 3% 147 votes
  • Baylor 32% 1321 votes
  • Kansas State 34% 1417 votes
  • Oklahoma 0% 21 votes
  • Someone else 0% 39 votes

4064 total votes.

Average game leads Hawks to win

The numbers are downright ridiculous. On the season, the undefeated Kansas men have the best scoring margin average in the nation at plus 24 points a game. Break it down, and the Jayhawks average 83 points while giving out just 59.

Cyclones hope to knock off unbeaten Jayhawks

Just ten days into the 2008 Big 12 conference men's basketball season, and only three unbeatens remain. This evening 2-1 Iowa State hopes to become the first team to knock off the Jayhawks.

Audio clips

2007-08 Jan. 23 KU-ISU men's basketball

Go figure

50.0

KU's field-goal percentage and 3-point percentage

31.1, 21.4

Iowa State's field-goal percentage, 3-point percentage

7:11

ISU's assist-to-turnover ratio

22:10

KU's assist-to-turnover ratio

Points scored by both teams combined off turnovers

Fast-break points scored by both teams combined

Field goals by ISU's nine non-starters combined in 50 minutes

Field goals by KU's eight non-starters combined in 70 minutes

Danny Manning, who works with Kansas University's big men every day, likes to kid fun-loving senior power forward Darnell Jackson.

"I tease him all the time: 'Darnell you ever gonna get a double- double?''' Manning said Monday night in subbing for Bill Self as guest host on Self's weekly Hawk Talk radio show.

It took the 6-foot-8, 250-pound Jackson just two days to answer KU assistant coach Manning's question with a resounding, Yes!

Jackson scored 21 points off 9-of-14 shooting and grabbed 11 rebounds in the Jayhawks' 83-59 rout of Iowa State on Wednesday at Allen Fieldhouse.

The Midwest City, Okla., native's double-figure points and rebound game was assured when he grabbed his 10th board with 5:49 left.

"I looked at him and smiled," Jackson said of his interaction with former KU All-American Manning. "He smiled back. He said, 'Good job, keep it going.'''

Jackson entered Wednesday's game with four career double-doubles, but none yet his senior season.

He'd come close 12 times in 19 games. His closest calls included a 25-point, nine-board outing at Boston College and 13-rebound, nine-point outing at USC. He also had 17 points and nine boards against Eastern Washington, 17 and eight versus Oklahoma and 13 and nine versus Missouri.

Jackson said several of his teammates have ribbed him about falling just short of double-doubles in his breakout season.

Nobody more than Manning, however.

"Coach Manning ... D-Man ... he teases me every day. He calls me a 'trick,''' Jackson said. "It's what we always say when somebody gets close to a double-double: 'You're a trick. Tonight he was a trick.'"

Trick?

"You know, like you are coming close and tricking somebody," Jackson said.

KU coach Self - whose big men outrebounded a tall Iowa State team 46-33 and outscored the Cyclones 42-16 in the paint - has been one of those joshing Jackson about his flirtation with double-doubles.

"He's been at 14 and nine it seems six or seven games," Self said.

Self, who like everybody else has been most impressed with Jackson the entire season, said the big man broke him up at practice Tuesday.

"Yesterday I went nuts on our guys for a few minutes just because I hadn't gone nuts in a long time," Self said of erupting after some sloppy play the day before a game.

"We weren't executing like we should. One thing led to another, and I got mad at 'em. I got such a kick out of Darnell. He just looked at me and started smiling like he knew exactly what I was doing, just trying to get their attention.

"He is just kind of enjoying everything. I couldn't get under his skin right now even if I tried," Self added.

"I've tried several times. It's water off his back. You can see the development. Two years ago he'd be saying, 'The man's crazy.' Now it's like, 'C'mon guys, can't you figure it out?'''

Jackson scored 11 points and grabbed six rebounds the first half in helping KU to a 42-32 lead after 20 minutes.

Russell Robinson hit a driving one-hander from eight feet and, after getting hacked, knocked in the foul shot, and Darrell Arthur followed with a bucket as KU opened a 15-point lead four minutes into the second half. KU held a 20-point lead six minutes in and cruised home to its 19th victory in 19 tries and fourth in league play. ISU fell to 12-7, 2-2.

Jackson had everybody smiling with 10:59 left when he drilled a deep two, thrusting his hands in the air in asking the refs to deem it a three.

"I was kind of disappointed," said Jackson, who has two threes this year in four tries. "But everybody told me I had two feet on the line. I'm glad I stepped up and knocked the shot down."

He wasn't the only hero Wednesday. Brandon Rush tied a career high with six assists and hit three threes for 11 points. Arthur had 16 points after a slow start, while Robinson had 11 points and four assists and Mario Chalmers 10 points and six assists.

But again it was Jackson who had 16,300 fans buzzing with his stellar play.

"It hasn't sunk in at all," he said of emerging as a possible first-team all-league player. "I always tell my mom, 'Can you believe it?' She says, 'No, I can't believe it.' It's just happening out of the blue. I don't know why it's happening, but it is."

KU next will meet Nebraska at 12:45 p.m. Saturday at Allen Fieldhouse.

Comments

scootja32 6 years, 6 months ago

Baylor! Welcome to the Big XII. That's all I have to say today.

LHS1980 6 years, 6 months ago

Can we get five more DJ's please?

RockHawkJHKU 6 years, 6 months ago

I'll second the congrats to Baylor; it was a great win. I really I wish I had watched that game.

Back to our own team, it is nitpicky, but I thought the team missed Julian's ability to guard a 3/4 tweener, aka Wesley Johnson on the perimeter, when Rush is tied up guarding someone else (Clark in this case). None of our bigs seemed to want to put a foot on the 3-pt line to keep him from drilling threes.

The second thing that bothered me was about 3/4 of the way through the game, they showed a highlight that indicated that DA had taken 11 shots (made 7), but had only grabbed 1 board. If you are taking 11 shots (and he should be taking that many, I'm not complaining about the shot total), you better be getting more than 1 rebound!

Otherwise, good win over a team that has 2 really good players now (Clark and Johnson), but appears to be on the right track. I liked ISU's freshmen (Garrett and Brackins) and think McDermont will get this team back to at least middle of the pack in the B12.

justanotherfan 6 years, 6 months ago

ISU is still recovering from all the transfers. They have some young talent though.

Somebody should've sent out a memo to let people know that Baylor and A&M were gonna play an epic last night so I would have known to stay up and watch.

As for our squad, I too was troubled by the lack of rebounding from Arthur. One rebound?! That's ridiculous for a player of his talent.

I am also worried about Sherron. He just doesn't have the kind of lift we saw from him last year and its showing on his jump shot. How many times last night did you see his shot fall short? His quickness looks good, but he just doesn't get off the floor like I saw last year.

Our squad looked very efficient on offense last night. 1.29 points per shot attempt last night (continuing yesterdays theme) with 22 assists to 10 turnovers. Held ISU to just 0.96 points per attempt. If we continue to be that efficient and make other teams become that inefficient it will be a very fun year.

Jaminrawk 6 years, 6 months ago

Darnell is playing like a beast right now. I hope he can keep it up. I think we'll have a little better of an idea once he starts playing guys like Beasley and Jordan. None-the-less, you are really kicking a$$, Darnell. Keep it up!

Dirk Medema 6 years, 6 months ago

Relax on DA & SC guys. If you read a few more articles, you'll find that both were injured (strained calf & sprained ankle) but still playing. On top of that, SC came back significantly earlier than expected from the stress fracture. He'll play his way back into form.

The irony of the Baylor game. The ONLY way to see it was to be there. The game was not televised at all. There are a few highlights care of the A&M (?) SIOffice, but that's it.

Drew Alan 6 years, 6 months ago

don't be so troubled by DA's lack of rebounds. Iowa State was jacking up (and missing) deep shots all night, and as all of us should know, long shots give long rebounds which is why our guards ended up with about 4 rebounds each. Plus, DJ is playing at another level right now, and DA had a calf thing going on, so it seems like DJ would be outleaping a slightly hobbled DA for rebounds.

oh, and the A&M Baylor game wasn't exactly a thing of beauty... combined the teams shot about 37% and about 20% from 3 (which considering Baylor's slew of good guards should not have happened for them), mainly I want to salute Baylor for winning with FIVE players fouling out. I don't know of many teams that can lose their 3 biggest players, a starting shooting guard and a McDonalds All American and still beat a ranked team... for KU that would mean losing DJ, DA, Kaun, Chalmers and Collins. It'd be tough to beat anybody without those 5 guys unavailable!

jcepp 6 years, 6 months ago

The most encouraging thing from my perspective is that Rush is not translating more aggressive into more shots.

Last night he took only 7, the same number he took last week when he got called out. But look what else:

Drive off pic'n'roll, feed DJ for a stone cold dunk. Fake 3, ball on floor for a dribble or two into the lane , pitch to Mario for a wide open 3.

Getting a decent game from Rush is one thing, but when he gets six assists and 5 boards, a routine night in terms of points, it's a great game that gets overlooked.

Compare his line to Wesley Johnson, who looks like a great talent: Wes goes for 21 on 6-17 shooting, 3-10 from 3. Wes get's 2 assists and 2 boards. In 36 plus minutes.

Rush gets "only 11" on 3-7, 3-5 from 3. 6 assists and 5 boards.

I think Rush could phone in Wesley's line every week and the 'hawks lose more often cause we miss the easy dunks and wide open 3s that we get when Rush plays a complete game. And he is playing a complete game!

I think the ankle sprain set Collins back a week or so, but hopefully we'll see him at full strength for K-St-Hate.

My major concern is Arthur. Riding pine, taking fall-aways, no trips to the line and one freakin rebound. Seems he's playin awfully soft.

He's needs a dose of DJ's heart.

jcepp 6 years, 6 months ago

"Without those 5 guys unavailable."

Must be an MU grad.

COJHawk 6 years, 6 months ago

andy katz's around the rim when talking about the a&m/baylor game and all the points scored...

"The previous record for most points by a team in a Big 12 game was 114 by Kansas against Colorado in February, 1997. That game ended in regulation."

anyone else at that game? i think we had almost 70 at halftime. that was the chauncey billups game. after the first game at CU that year, which was a close game, billups ran his mouth talking about how they'd get us in lawrence. the folks out here in colorado thought that KU/CU was some rivalry game after that.

just a fond memory that some may share with me...

TtownHawk 6 years, 6 months ago

Give Arthur a break. like it was pointed out by a few people already. he had a sore calf so thats going to limit his getting to the ball off the boards quickly. yes he got his points but he knew what he was doing and where he was going when he shot it. with rebounding there's no real way of knowing where the balls going to end up.

William Cormode 6 years, 6 months ago

When I got home from the game last night I scoured my sports pack to find the Baylor game and only found the stupid purple game.

If you listened to post game interviews you would hear that DA just didnt have the opportunities to rebound the ball. I honestly didnt see many chances for him either.

As for the comment that someone needed to step and and guard their big men shooting threes. I would have let them shoot 20 more. Thye were not "drilling" threes. They were clanking threes. Let them shoot.

twowheels 6 years, 6 months ago

COJHawk, I was there! And I'll be in Boulder on the 2nd. See you there!

100 6 years, 6 months ago

Darnell says this year is happening out of the blue. Obviously he's playing coy like a smart Jayhawk -- the simplicity of hard work, believing in yourself, working hard against future NBAers every day in practice, and being coached by Self and his staff, including Danny Manning should explain a good bit of this. A nice calling card for future hard-working bigs to come to KU.

RockHawkJHKU 6 years, 6 months ago

I did not know that Arthur had a sore calf when I wrote what I did about his rebounds (I read the other article immediately after that).

However, this is not the only game that he hasn't boarded like his talent level would indicate he should. Check out the box scores from the games against FAU, E Washington, Depaul, Nebraska and Missouri. He totaled 2 or less boards in each of those games and played at least 17 minutes in each. I'm not trying to say the team is better off without him (far from it), I'm just saying that he should be grabbing more rebounds if he is to be considered a complete player. Boards are primarily a desire/hustle thing. His calf should not have hurt his ability to grab rebounds too much considering the fact that some of the best rebounders I can think of aren't nearly as athletic as he is (Paul Millsap being the best example).

KU 6 years, 6 months ago

I couldn't believe how ISU didn't even try to rebound on the offensive end. It was like they were content to get back and stop transition scores all night long. Scoring 83 in what was essentially a moderately paced half-court game speaks volumes about our offensive efficiency.

smitty33 6 years, 6 months ago

Jcepp, you think exactly like I. Beautiful Post. Rush doesn't need to score to have a GREAT game. Arthur worries me, big time. I'm afraid he's going to try to do too much if we're in a tight one. However, I was more than excited to see those fade aways and everything else fall for him at Boston College. That gives me hope. Right now, down by 2 with 15 seconds left, I want it in Mario's hands, preferably for a dish to Jackson.

ralsterKUMed95 6 years, 6 months ago

Yea, down by 2 with 15seconds: ball to either Mario or Russell for a final shot by Darnell or Mario or Rush (3pointer), or even Shady (Im keeping faith in him...). Russell will surely get an assist, and some would think he is the best one to have it late--it exploits the balance of KU's team in a way that only Mario can duplicate.