Sunday, March 4, 2007

1900: OUTRIGHT!

Jayhawks celebrate title win

Kansas University basketball players hoist their newly-earned Big 12 regular season title trophy. The Jayhawks defeated Texas in March 2007 to take the regular season title outright and notch the program's 1,900th victory.

Bill Self snipped the last four strands of net and forcibly tore the twine from the rim, putting the finishing touches on a joyous celebration Saturday afternoon in Allen Fieldhouse.

One by one, Kansas University's basketball players and their coach savored a tense, 90-86, come-from-behind, Big 12-title-clinching victory over Texas - first by watching a highlight reel on the center videoboard, next by accepting a trophy from league commissioner Kevin Weiberg and finally by the traditional ladder-climbing at the north goal.

"Cutting down the nets is great and all that stuff," said fourth-year KU coach Self, who proudly watched from near the bench area as 14 players preceded him skyward. "It will mean a lot more if we have a couple more net-cutting ceremonies before we're finished.

"It's not how it is here and not how it is with me," he added of settling for conference crowns. "We've got work to do. Now the work begins."

For one half Saturday, it looked as if the No. 3 Jayhawks (27-4 overall, 14-2 Big 12) would have to settle for a tie for the league title with No. 15 Texas and No. 7 Texas A&M - all because of the work of one man, UT freshman Kevin Durant.

The 6-foot-9, 225-pounder from Maryland erupted for 25 points off 10-of-14 shooting (five of five threes) in the first half in lifting the Longhorns (22-8, 12-4) to a 54-42 halftime lead.

It was the most points by a KU opponent in a half since Texas Tech's Rayford Young exploded for 35 in the second half of a Raider victory in Lubbock, Texas, in 1999. It also marked the most points scored on KU in a half since Tech totaled 60 that day.

"I thought he'd get 50 on us the first half," gasped Brandon Rush, one of five Jayhawks to try to slow Durant, who also was guarded by Julian Wright, Darrell Arthur, Darnell Jackson and Rodrick Stewart.

At halftime, it looked as if Durant were a sure bet to surpass K-State's Mike Wroblewski as top point producer by an opponent in fieldhouse history.

Go figure

16 Texas' biggest lead, at 51-35 late in the first half10 KU's biggest lead, at 84-74 with 5:04 to play32, 9, 2 Points, rebounds, blocks for star UT forward Kevin Durant111â2 Minutes left when Durant hobbled off due to an ankle injury11-for-14 Texas' first-half three-point shooting (78.6 percent)3-for-16 Texas' second-half three-point shooting (18.8 percent)11-for-18 KU's three-point shooting overall (61.1 percent)1 KU's Big 12 tourney seed after clinching its 50th league title

Wroblewski scored 46 against the Jayhawks in 1962.

Instead, Durant - who missed four minutes of the second half after spraining his ankle (Texas trailed 71-65 when he left and 79-72 when he returned) - was held to seven points off 3-of-8 marksmanship the second 20 minutes and finished with 32 - not even a top-10 mark versus KU in its tradition-rich building.

"He's one of the best to ever play on that court," Self said. "He's at a different level. Augustin (D.J., 13 points first half, 19 for game) is fabulous too.

"I don't know if I ever coached a game where a team shot it better than they did the first half. I don't think we've ever had anyone play that good offensively against us. They were unbelievable, unbelievable, unbelievable."

The Longhorns' 11-of-14 three-point shooting and overall 57.1 percent marksmanship - at one point UT hit 12 straight shots - actually made the Jayhawks, who trailed by a game-high 16 points at 51-35 with 2:41 left in the first half, feel fortunate they weren't down by more.

"I was smiling the whole time. I said, 'Man, this can't be happening,''' junior guard Russell Robinson said of the first-half blitz. "But you knew : you just had the feeling they'd go cold."

The hot-shooting Durant was a hot topic at halftime.

"The only thing we were thinking in the locker room was, 'Durant is making every shot,''' said junior Darnell Jackson, who had four points and two rebounds in eight minutes. As a team, KU outboarded the Longhorns, 42-32. "I've never seen anybody come into the fieldhouse and play like that."

Self, who hoped "the law of averages would play out," made sure his players didn't panic over the uncanny UT shooting percentages.

"Coach was like, 'Calm down. It's only one half. We've got the whole second half left.' We knew we could come back," said Rush, who scored 15 points, eight the second half.

Of course, to come back, the Jayhawks had to work a bit harder on stopping Durant.

"Coach wasn't down on us as much as telling us to play better defense," said Wright, who had 13 rebounds to go with his 17 points and glue-like defense on Durant the second half. "He said, 'Make him put it on the ground a little more.'''

Audio clips

2006-07 March 3 KU-Texas Hoops

The strategy worked fine.

"We got to Durant better and made him drive to score," Self said. "We changed the way we guard ball screens a little bit, not that that was anything great, but it seemed to keep Augustin out of the paint."

Augustin scored six of his 19 points in the second half.

The Jayhawks were kept in the game offensively the first half by Mario Chalmers (13 points, 3-of-3 threes), Russell Robinson (eight, 2-of-3 threes) and Wright (eight points, 4-of-7 shooting).

They used a 24-7 run to turn the 16-point deficit into a 59-58 advantage just four minutes into the final half. Chalmers had eight points and Robinson five in the run.

The Jayhawks led by 10 points, at 84-74 with 5:04 to play, and by eight, at 88-80 with just 37.5 ticks to play, when some shaky free-throw shooting made things interesting. KU made just five of 14 free throws down the stretch.

The score was 89-86 when Justin Mason missed a potential game-tying three with 16 seconds left. Texas rebounded and dished to Augustin, whose three from the side was soundly rejected by Wright at :10.

KU's Robinson was fouled and hit the second of two free throws at 5.9, assuring the win.

Augustin did fire up a final three, which was rebounded by Chalmers at the buzzer.

"It was a great block. He would have hit that, I'm sure," said Chalmers, who said he went up for a head fake on the play, leaving Wright as the last and best defense.

"I tried to go straight up," Wright explained. "My body wasn't close to him so I was trying to reach up and block it and control it so we could get the ball."

Asked if it was the biggest rejection of his career, Wright replied with a grin: "It ranks up there. We were concentrating on getting a stop. It's not always about how it looks, just getting a big stop there."

It turned out to be a big game for all of KU's starters.

Chalmers finished with a team-leading 21 points, followed by Robinson and Wright with 17 each and Rush 15. Sasha Kaun had nine points, including three of three free throws with five boards.

"When Sasha is your best free-throw shooter, it's a concern," Self cracked. "I don't know what it is. We practice them. We practice them when we are tired. If we make free throws down the stretch, it's not a close game."

Winning the close game may have made the postgame celebration even sweeter. The players watched a highlight video arms wrapped in arms, wide smiles on their faces.

Lew Perkins pranced about with an unlit victory cigar as players and coaches shook the hand of the happy athletic director.

"I thought it was a fabulous crowd," Self said. "It was scripted good for Kansas, where you have to fight, tough game and (televised on) CBS, a lot of people watching. There was high-level ball going on today."

"It was a great stage, a perfect setup," Robinson noted. "You win, you win the outright Big 12 at home in front of all the fans against a team that's hot with a great player. We had to take advantage. No way we could let it slide and share it with two teams."

The Jayhawks proved greedy and took the crown for themselves.

"It's a special day for us. We won it in our own home with the fans going crazy," Rush said.

Comments

David Black 7 years, 9 months ago

Congratulations to the Big 12 Basketball Champions...The University of Kansas Jayhawks. It was emotional, but I had on my KU stuff and my lucky spot in the family room. I knew it was going to be a victory. I am proud....way to go TEAM. Keep it rolling and take down those final nets..I will be watching. GO HAWKS.....

Dirk Medema 7 years, 9 months ago

Someone please correct this article about KU & the Texas LONGHORNS (not Aggies) before they read it and use it as bulletin board material for the Big 12 tourney and it costs us a #1 seed in the Dance.

On the flip-side, someone needs to post the ESPN article in the Jayhawk lockerroom. It says that the decisive 24-7 run came after Durrant left the game, and not 7 minutes before.

Both are pretty disrespectful comments.

It should be a great Big 12 tourney, where our strength in #'s shows its worth, especially after 3 straight days. The NCAA tourney should only get better as we roll along, since we should be quite use to the 2 in 3 days scenario.

63BC 7 years, 9 months ago

Second dagger108's comment on ESPN's recap falsely attributing the KU run to Durant's injury. I encourage folks to send an e-mail to ESPN [easy to do on the 'contact' button]. That needs to be changed.

KU was up four when he went down and six when he left. What's more, as Barnes admitted [with some class] in the postgame, he was already winded and due to sit some in the second half anyway. KU's relentless depth prevailed.

This was a great display of mental and physical toughness by KU to withstand that absurd shooting first half by Texas, not panic, and win it with defense and rebounding down the stretch.

Gutty win. Deserving champs.

rtjayhawk 7 years, 9 months ago

Is it just me or does it seem like ESPN shows our Hawks no love at all? I mean, even the 5pm showing of Sportscenter made it seem like we only one because Durant left. No mention of us tearing out of the locker room in the second half......

With that said, great win! What an atmosphere!

Roadkill_Rob 7 years, 9 months ago

Some various observartions:

• We would've won the game regardless of the Durant injury. ESPN needs to be called out.

• If Greg Oden is picked ahead of Durant in the draft, it would be a mistake...Oden will be real good but Durant will eventually be the best player in the league.

• This KU team reminds me of the Hinrich/Collison/Gooden team when someone new would step up each night.

• Why is KU cursed when it comes to free throws? It's not like it's just this group of guys. It's been throughout the years. Hopefully, it won't come down to free throws in the tourney but that will be a hard one to pull off.

• Good job to Bill Self for keeping the guys calm after the LONGHORNS' (not Aggies) unstoppable first half.

• Rick Barnes reminds me of Lee Harvey Oswald when he talks.

Jeremy Bolinger 7 years, 9 months ago

hey djkc28, the only people getting them keyed up is the fans. These kids have heard everyone's crap about the first round the past 2 seasons, and that really isnt fair to them. They will be fine, and there WILL BE NO first round exit this year.

Dagger108, a loss in the big 12 tourney should not cost us a #1 seed. Also, I'd rather be a 2 seed if it meant we got to stay close to home and play, such as in the midwest bracket. I know the jayhawk faithful will go just about anywhere to support the hawks, but closer games would bring more fans. Regardless, 1 or 2 seed, this should be a great year for all of us Kansas fans!

Jeremy Bolinger 7 years, 9 months ago

and another point, I seriously doubt that any team in america could have beaten Texas yesterday besides Kansas.

And another point.......No other conference can say they have 2 legit final 4 teams, other than the big 12. Im sick of hearing how the pac 10 and acc are the best conferences, top to bottom, in basketball. I do believe that Nebraska went to miami, and won by 20. That puts our worst against their worst, and see who prevailed. Both KU and KSU beat USC. We all saw what UNC did to Arizona. ACC has a better argument, but we should have 3 sweet 16 teams this year.

sevenyearhawk 7 years, 9 months ago

speaking of wrong opponent, how about wrong conference:

anyone else catch Bob Davis declaring the Hawks - BIG EIGHT CHAMPS?

poor guy, shades of Max calling Okie State, Oklahoma A&M ...

Jeremy Bolinger 7 years, 9 months ago

lol yea! he didnt even realize he did until they replayed the gamecast after the game was over.

indyhawk 7 years, 9 months ago

Not only did the article make a mistake about the run coming after the injury but they also have KU for only winning 5 Big 12 titles when we have really won 7 -- Correct me if I am wrong but I believe we have 5 outright wins and 2 co-wins. Who finds these guys?? Last nights game was FANTASTIC and hopefully our guys can play through the tourney and finish strong like they did last night!

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

MoC 7 years, 9 months ago

As the ESPN article was an AP article, I sent a statistics-ridden complaint to info@ap.org, but I'm not seeing any place on espn.com's "contact us" FAQ page (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?page=espncsfaq) to complain about espn.com content...unless it's about their Page 2 feature.

If I'm just missing it, would someone please post a link to this? Thanks so much.

Oh, and for the record, this is the e-mail the AP got:

Subject line: KU ahead when Durant injured

Message body:

There are multiple errors present in the "Kansas rallies to beat Texas; Durant hurts ankle," AP article that is currently running on espn.com (url: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=270622305)

The article states that "[Durant] crumpled to the floor with an ankle injury with about 11 minutes left in the second half," yet also states that "Kansas put together a 24-7 run after he got hurt, taking a 59-58 lead on Wright's basket." However, according to ESPN's "Game Flow" chart,

-KU took the lead, 59-58, with 16:08 left in the 2nd half, a full 5 minutes before Durant's injury.

-At 11:10, the time closest to Durant's injury that appears on ESPN's "Game Flow" chart, KU was leading 71-65.

The article gives the impression that KU was only able to rally after Durant's injury, even though the game statistics clearly show otherwise. Durant is an amazing player, but the Jayhawks held their own against him, and an electrifying freshman Longhorn class, winning the Big 12 regular season championship outright. To imply otherwise tarnishes the 16-point+ comeback that the Jayhawks undertook while Durant was still on the court.

I'm generally satisfied by the AP sports reporting, but this story just left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Here's hoping that errors like this continue to be few and far between.

tis4tim 7 years, 9 months ago

ESPN is all about one thing...ESPN. The clips they show are geared to plug their HDTV programming. Because the Hawks were on CBS, they take second stage to any other game shown on an ESPN/ABC network.

Second, ESPN is about Duke, the ACC, Big East, Big 10 and UCLA. Big 12 = second stage. Last night's SC on ESPN...the lead story? Women's basketball because DUKE lost to NC State. Duke gets top billing even when they stink. Then, it was Wisconsin highlights, then Ohio State, then UCLA, then Jeff Garcia signing with Tampa Bay in football. KU takes a back seat to a 742 year old backup QB signing with Tampa Bay and Jake Plummer's pouty retirement threat.

CBS is no better. They hype KU/Texas as the game of the day in college basketball, then black out the game in the Carolinas on regular cable AND their Direct TV/Satellite links too. I went to three different sports bars trying to find the game and it was blacked out everywhere. In fact, we got infomercials until the Virginia/Wake Forest game at 1pm (Eastern). (I did get a free gift for ordering right then, however!) But, what did CBS do at 3pm? It left the 3-4 o'clock hour open so they could switch to the UCLA game for the second half.

My buddy in Tampa got the KU game on regular CBS and a friend in Arizona got the game too. Atlanta also got the game. I had 30 sec. refreshers on Yahoo! Sports. I guess my point is that I agree with all those feeling the Big 12 gets a bum rap in coverage. Yesterday at least.

Anyway, great win, though waiting for free throw updates at the end of the game in 30 second increments online is VERY VERY painful...lol.

Rock Chalk!

Sparko 7 years, 9 months ago

As far as I'm concerned, CBS's horrible coverage (not avaialble in here in the Northeast where there are tons of Kansas fans), ESPN and AP's revisionist recap, and a raft of Bucknell/Bradley highlights all year, should be bulletin board material for Kansas through April. The only way to shut these idiots up, and then only for a couple of days, is to finish 36-4. I am beyond upset. UNC, Duke, Ohio State, UCLA? They are made for TV stories. The Big XII? Who wants to play Kansas, A&M or Texas right now? Or Kansas State?

Jacobpaul81 7 years, 9 months ago

As I pointed out on another board, Texas is definalty one hell of a first half team. Those players need to learn to slow down, and play the clock. Durant could barely stand at the end of the first half. That's multiple times this season, they've come out and drained a ton of threes, then fallen apart in the second half (They were lucky against A&M, because this same thing happened). Meanwhile, the Jayhawks looked like the most consistent team in the country, shooting over 50% in both halfs, like a steam engine powering along, just waiting for its kill to faulter.

njthomas 7 years, 9 months ago

I thought it would be fun to see just how wrong the ESPN guys were. One stat they put up last night was that, when Durant went out, Texas were down 4, and, when he came back, they were down 7. This means, of course, that if Durant had been on the floor, Texas would have waxed us. So, for fun, I went to ESPN's Play-by-Play summary and chose ANOTHER 3 minutes, when durant was both playing and healthy to see if, in fact, his play really was that crucial in the second half. Here is what I found...

11:21-8:22 (Durant is out)

Kansas 10 Texas 7

20:00-17:00 (Durant is in) Kansas 12 Texas 4

Oh my goodness gracious! (From 17:00 to 11:21, if anyone was wondering, the scoring was 15 to 7 in favor of Kansas.) This means, if anyone is paying attention, that the numbers for Texas were actually BETTER when Durant was off the court in the 2nd half!! This is shocking!!

Final note, when Durant returned the numbers for Texas actually picked up. Durant made 5 more points. His teammates made 10 more points. KU only made 11, though I think that had more to do with the fact that we're bad from the free throw line.

Kyle Crenshaw 7 years, 9 months ago

this was a good win to have as march is finally here. great job in the locker room coach self, whatever u said worked lights out!

DerekR25 7 years, 9 months ago

This might be a little off the subject, but did Robinson get to start yesterday? Just wonderin' because it was so great to see him have such a career day with his parents in the stands, and even more so if they got to hear his name called in the line-up!

I was unable to watch most of the game because I was helping my girlfriend's brother move yesterday. I did have my gf calling me with updates though, and she even did a play by play at the end when it was 88-80. I thought I was going to die when she said that they hit that second straight tre to make it 88-86. Anyways, it was a great win over a very highly skilled and motivated team.
It was kind of ironic because I was able to watch the last 5 minutes of the first half, and as the half came to a close I turned to my buddy and said "man they're playing well (I would never have thought I'd be saying we were playing well if we were down by 12 at the half), Texas is just hitting everything. They won't be able to keep that up the second half." When I heard we had taken the lead and then won, and looked at the final stats I thought to myself, "I told ya so!" lol

landon_2003 7 years, 9 months ago

espn and the rest of the country hates kansas....soon to be #2 in the country(thanks ucla) and we still have everyone thinking UNC and wis. will get a number 1 seed...maybe even florida. hm...last week UNC was ranked 8 and they lost again so they shouldn't be in the top 10. if they get a number 1 seed even if they win the ACC tourney is a crock...i see it as the top 4 teams in the polls should be the top 4 seeds...only makes sense. this is turning into college football all over again with that bcs bologna. idc though...i think KU is the hottest team right now and if i was a team from another conference i wouldn't want to play ku, a@m or texas right now...and i might even throw kstate into that mix. big 12 will rule the tourney this year.

KWufan 7 years, 9 months ago

djk, this is in response to your comment that the Hawks may tense up cause Bill says their not satisfied. I too hope they don't tense up and they won't. They want this just as badly as Bill does, trust me, after that embarrasment last yr, they are gonna blow the crap out of whatever 16 seed gets them. This team is mostly juniors now in experience, they know how to run Bill's offense. NC, once they learned Roy's system for a yr, hit it big whilst they were all juniors and I see the same process this yr. Hawks are going to the final four and once there anything can happen. GO HAWKS

KUGreenMachine 7 years, 9 months ago

Hey, just so everyone knows. ESPN.com has updated their article. It no longer says the part of us going on a 24-7 run and taking the lead after Durant was out. so, yes, they fixed their mistake.

"Kansas put together a 24-7 run to win the game, taking a 59-58 lead on Wright's basket." this is the new line in the article....

cobweb 7 years, 9 months ago

ESPN must have read the Austin newspaper that got it right!

BabyJay5953 7 years, 9 months ago

Coach Self has been at KU for 4 seasons. He has 3 conference championships, a Big 12 title, and an Elite 8 appearance. This season is not yet over. It can easily be 2 Big 12 titles, and who knows? A Final Four? National Championship? Its very possible with this team. Maybe all of the Bill Bashers will quiet down. One of the best coaches in America, and one of the best teams in America resides right here in Lawerence, Kansas. Soon, not even ESPN will be able to denie them above their beloved ACC and Duke basketball.

seattlehawk_78 7 years, 9 months ago

The free throws concern me too Roadkill. Yesterday we shot 52%. Ironically Sasha was 3 for 3. It wouldn't bother me as much if we could hit them down the stretch but poor free throw shooting always give the opposition a chance.

God I wish they had shown this game yesterday!

jaybate 7 years, 9 months ago

Vitale's latest story notes that Florida fans shouldn't worry even though the Gators have lost 3 of their last four. Hey, Dick, when SHOULD their fans start worrying?!

KURUSH1530 7 years, 9 months ago

robinson started..Durant was obviously affected by his ankle injury upon returning to the game. Ha nobody wants to play K-State? They're not even getting into the NCAA tourney without a couple wins in the big 12 tourney and I know that won't happen. Yeah, I love how everyone in the country gets all the attention in the world and when they lose it's no big deal..KU can only seem to grab the spotlight when they lose. Such a shame that everyone in the country is jealous of our program.

KU 7 years, 9 months ago

I think the reason we shoot free throws so terribly is because AFH gets as quiet as a morgue when one of our players steps to the line. Every time a Jayhawk misses a free throw you hear a collective groan, as if it were the end of the world.

Somehow, that energy gets translated to the team and they get tight, especially at the end of a close game.

KU 7 years, 9 months ago

Speaking of CBS/Billy Packer/Duke-lovers......could you BELIEVE Packer defended that Duke kid who so BLATANTLY, INTENTIONALLY, MALICIOUSLY swung his forearm at the NC kid today? He must have repeated 10 or more times that the kid was going for the ball. Typical Packer sucking up to Duke. I have to admit, I love neither Duke nor NC, so it was a win-win to me. The NC kid bled like a stuck hog and the Duke kid was suspended for the first ACC tourney game! Gotta love it!

CMKUbLu304 7 years, 9 months ago

great win guys! I haven't read the ESPN article, but somehow you had to figure someone was gonna say the only reason we won was because Durant got hurt. But the truth is, we came out of that locker room with a 9-0 run, if I remember right and we shut Durant down previous to his injury. And he did come back. He was only gone four minutes and only managed 7 points in the second half. Attribute the win to KU's halftime adjustments and their relentless desire to come back.

On a sidenote, I was at the game, and I could not believe my eyes. We were shooting 50% overall and 50% from deep and still managed to be down by 16, and then later 12. It was unhuman. I was thinking the same thing, the law of averages HAD to play out, and rightly so, it did. thank god. I don't think I could have stayed for another half like that from texas.

I'm so proud of the guys tho, way to get it done.

Larry Smith 7 years, 9 months ago

Jaybate, the reason Vitale says to not worry about about Florida, Is because they also lost 3 in a row last year towards the end of the regular season. We all know what happened from there.

JNgohawks 7 years, 9 months ago

one time, let it go man, you are full af hate aren't you? Yes the regular season is over, yes it was a good accomplishment, and no, I don't think anyone is calling it quits just yet!

whitej3 7 years, 9 months ago

Anyone out there remember Anthony Peeler dropping 42 in a losing effort?

Jayhawktriplegrad 7 years, 9 months ago

"Lew Perkins pranced about with an unlit victory cigar...."

Good description of what was a disgusting image. Smelly old cigar is probably appropriate for him, though. The only blemish on an otherwise perfect day. When does he retire?

MoC 7 years, 9 months ago

I care, 93Jayhawk. Thanks for letting us know!

speedy 7 years, 9 months ago

last year and all season this year i,ve tried to get support for how neg. cbs and espn treat ku. no one listened until you found out for yourself. how can a tv network blackout a game thats sold out!!!!! for once arizona got the game shown. perkins needs to do something quick!

now we get acc games,big 10 games and everyone else until maybe the big 12 championship game. again we get screwed at ku. rise up ku and revolt!!!!!!! i,ll lead it.

peschker 7 years, 9 months ago

yo speedy, hard to make that argument when we have been selling out Allen for EVERY game since they changed the seating policy. But I understand the point you were trying to make.

Rock Chalk

coldsplice 7 years, 9 months ago

I'M JUST GLAD THE FANS DIDN'T STORM THE COURT! It's overdone and cliche-I guess when you win 50 conference titles in the past 100 years you can't really get away with that.

I've watched KU for 25 years and I don't think I've seen a guttier performance.

jeffmaher 7 years, 9 months ago

I saw that UNC Duke ending too and couldn't believe Billy Packer's comments either. That was TOTALLY intentional and he got what he deserved. Hansbrough is tough- got to give him props. He wanted a piece of the Dukie but the refs escorted him off. Packer is friggin clueless.

Jaminrawk 7 years, 9 months ago

It's funny, because I always joke about wanting to see Hansbrough punched in the face (I think he's soft, and he didn't stand up to Dockery last year after he was pushed), yet I felt REALLY bad for him after he got clocked by Henderson. The punishment fits the crime, I just hope they see each othe agin in the ACC Tournament.

Oh well, no broken nose and all of his teeth are still in his mouth. In the end, it just makes the rivalry more dramatic.

kerbyd 7 years, 9 months ago

Hey Guys, Just noticed that Yahoo.com admitted they were wrong in their reporting that the Jayhawks had taken the lead in their game AFTER Durant was hurt.

William James 7 years, 9 months ago

KU & Jaminrawk: One of the most talented kids in the country had his nose broke yesterday. No I dont "gotta love it".
As biased as the media seems to be toward east coast schools, if Carolina loses in the ACC tournament, I garauntee this incident will be used as an excuse. I hope you guys werent booing Durant off the court Saturday when he hurt his ankle. I suppose I gotta love that, too.

MarcoPolo 7 years, 9 months ago

Must agree with coldsplice above, I don't believe I've seen a "guttier" performance for many, many years. Collison's 20/20 performance a few years back (versus Texas, I believe) in which Dickie V gave his second-ever standing ovation, was a very exciting game, but KU was never down double digits in the game. Heartfelt congrats to Self and his guys for coaching and executing an excellent team effort!

As long as we're bashing Packer, 2 Sundays ago, he and Verne Lundquist were commenting that Kentucky would have double-digit losses again this year, but they would be in the big dance since "they had beaten some quality teams..."

That's funny. I had read elsewhere that Kentucky had not beaten a ranked team all year. They have beaten Indiana, Tennessee, and Louisville -- the first 2 of those at home. I don't believe any of the three teams were ranked at the time the games were played.

Just as most of you, I've been watching KU and basketball in general for many years. This is the weakest I've seen the Big Ten and Big East in many, many years. Excellent year for the Big 12 to strut their stuff....