Thursday, February 8, 2007

K-State coach praises Kansas

With Kansas University's 97-70 victory Wednesday night, the Jayhawks pushed past Kansas State, taking over sole control of second place in the Big 12 conference.

But the game showed the Wildcats look up to the Jayhawks in more ways than the conference standings.

"They're bigger, they're faster, they're longer, they're better shooters," Kansas State coach Bob Huggins said. "They are very talented and very well coached. We've got to get to that point."

The disparity between the teams was most visible during the second half, when KU increased its 12-point lead to 27 on the merits of 60 percent shooting.

"We just came out flat," junior guard Blake Young said. "We didn't play with any energy."

The game began just as disastrously for the Wildcats, as the Jayhawks bolted to a 15-2 lead.

After nailing 14 three-point shots during a 73-72 victory against Texas, Kansas State shot 2-of-10 from long distance in the first half en route to a 4-for-22 performance.

"That wasn't by design," Huggins said.

Huggins, however, blamed the defense, which lacked the stifling pressure his Cincinnati teams earned a reputation for. KU connected from three-point range early, forcing Kansas State to abandon a zone for man-to-man defense.

The Jayhawks then effectively attacked the man with ball screens across the middle.

KU outrebounded Kansas State by 22. The Wildcats also played poor transition defense, allowing for 16 fast-break points.

Senior guard Jermaine Maybank served as the bright spot for Kansas State. The 6-foot-4 backup led all scorers with 26 points, which surpassed his career high by 11.

"I tried to be the spark," Maybank said.

While Maybank provided support off the bench, 7-3 freshman center Jason Bennett made his ninth start.

He was reunited with KU's Sasha Kaun, against whom he played during high school basketball in Florida.

Bennett blocked three shots during his 11 minutes, but fouled out at the 7:20 mark of the second half.

Long after he fouled out, the KU student section regaled him with the taunt of "Bennett, Bennett!"

The freshman also heard it from Huggins on several occasions.

"Jason thought they jumped over his back," Huggins said. "I told him if he blocked out, they wouldn't. : Jason's got a lot to learn."

The 16,300 fans in Allen Fieldhouse taunted Bennett while providing the usual raucous environs. Huggins said that did not affect his team.

"I don't buy into that," he said. "They have a great atmosphere. It ought to be fun. We should've enjoyed it. We should've embraced it."

After Kansas emphatically halted Kansas State's seven-game winning streak, the Wildcats (17-7, 6-3) must regroup to capture a postseason berth.

Young revealed Huggins' postgame message.

"We've got seven games left," Young said. "Either you guys are going to lay it down, or you're gonna play the seven games hard and we make it to this tournament."

Comments

TrueBlue92 7 years, 8 months ago

Agreed, Lebowski!!

Isn't it amazing how quiet it is here today??

I wonder what it is that Bill Self did differently last night. He was still on the sideline, still yelling, pointing, and ref-chewing. Maybe he used more bad words or something?

Craig Lang 7 years, 8 months ago

Remember how mad everyone was because Self broke KU's home court win streak over Big 12 South teams? Well, he broke another streak -- K-State's 7-game winning streak and KU's 1-game home losing streak against K-State. Man, this guy just can't honor tradition, can he?

jprich 7 years, 8 months ago

At points during the game I forgot that Self was still on the sideline, considering how many times the cameras were focused on Huggins.

quigley 7 years, 8 months ago

Bennett is going to supply the KU students with a lot more moments to boo in the next couple of years its looks like. He needs to quit crying about every call and play, he is a freshman for god sakes. Even the tv announcers called him out on it.

bangaranggerg 7 years, 8 months ago

you didn't need to hear comentators mention it if you saw it, he was childish and out of line. He's given us a punchline for KSU jokes for a while though, so I take my hat off to him for his behavior.

TrueBlue92 7 years, 8 months ago

Bangaranggerg -- What about "Luis Colon"?

Is that first name pronounced like "loose"???????

distracted 7 years, 8 months ago

I imagine Bennett will enjoy the Phog about as much as Harrison did with Colorado. Amazing how many worthless, under-acheiving, cry baby centers have graced Big XII rosters (of course Chenowith gets a pass here).

kuguy08 7 years, 8 months ago

Jason Bennett: Big 12 All-Lug team MVP

CMKUbLu304 7 years, 8 months ago

awsome chants last nite. I had a blast.

fansincewilt 7 years, 8 months ago

The loss against A&M really hurt. This win really helps relieve some of that hurting feeling. I don't believe for one moment that A&M is a better team than KU. What a great group of guys. It was good to see Arthur and Sasha have a good game. Was it Jack Parr and Bob Boozer that played against Wilt and won against the Jayhawks back in the 50's? I think I still remember listening to that game?

martyks 7 years, 8 months ago

Maybe we need to bring out crying towels for Bennett the next time he comes to town. I mean, EVERY single call??? Does he have a whole other rule book? When he whacked Russell coming down the lane, I thought, finally, he's going to nod his head. Nope. Didn't happen. waaaa waaa waaa...

martyks 7 years, 8 months ago

I just have to say, the refs should have whistled him for a technical foul and when he asked, they could have said, "Just because you're being so fricking stupid."

bmcmich1 7 years, 8 months ago

Hmm, Let's see...

- Hideous purple and black uniform?...check

- Trashy goatee?...check

- Whining about EVERY call and making an a** of
  yourself in front of Kansas fans?..........

CHECK!! CONGRATULATIONS, JASON BENNETT, YOU ARE OFFICIALLY A K-SUCK PUSSYCAT! If your own coach doesn't get tired of your act and boot you from the team, you can look forward to THREE MORE YEARS of well-deserved heckling from anyone wearing crimson and blue. You sir, are a MORON, and should fit right in out there in Mancrappan.

Seth Peattie 7 years, 8 months ago

Great work, bmcmich1. Suck it, Jason Bennett.

canuckhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

I'd like to point out that Huggins did not once say any of the crazy stuff some people what Self to gush with after each of our 4 loses.

You didn't hear him say: "That lose was my fault...my players are giving it their all and it's time for me to admit that my system stinks...I'm a great recruiter, clearly, but a below average coach...I don't control the tempo and just take what other teams give me...we'd all be better off if Wooldridge was still running the show."