Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Kansas basketball notebook

Kansas University coach Bill Self was asked if he mentioned KU's 18-game winning streak in Bramlage Coliseum, 23-game overall win streak in Manhattan and/or Bob Huggins' guaranteeing a Wildcat victory in his speech to the team before the game.

"I won't tell you what I mentioned to the guys," Self said with a smile. "You know what? I think Bob Huggins is supposed to say that. Joe Namath is supposed to say that. You are supposed to generate interest."

Huggins had guaranteed a KSU win at the Wildcats' Midnight Madness; Namath guaranteed a New York Jets win in Super Bowl III.

¢ Atmosphere: Kansas State's students, who were wrapped in a line around KSU's Wagner Field much of Monday afternoon, entered Bramlage Coliseum at 5:45 p.m. for the 8 p.m. tipoff.

A pep rally of sorts was held prior to the game. KSU assistant coach Frank Martin addressed the student section after radio play-by-play announcer Wyatt Thompson.

"We hope to end one streak and in two weeks end another streak and get more banners in this place," Martin said to wild cheers.

Audio clips

2006-07 Feb. 19 KU-KSU Hoops

He was referring to KSU ending a 23-game home losing streak to KU on Monday and a 10-year NCAA Tournament drought on Selection Sunday.

Wildcat freshman phenom Bill Walker, who is injured and could not play, shook hands with fans in the student section and didn't even mind when one KSU student swiped his headband as a souvenir.

¢ Torn sign: Three K-State fans ran up to a pair of female KU fans, grabbed their "Allen Fieldhouse West" sign and tore it in half to loud cheers about 45 minutes before the game. One of KU's staff members approached the two women to make sure they were OK.

KSU fans brought some signs of their own, including, "Tim Hardaway hates KU," and, "KU, lack of institutional control."

Also, the KSU student section had sheets of paper with the names of all the KU players' mothers so the fans could jeer the Jayhawks on a personal level during warmups.

KU continues streak over K-State

In the history of Bramlage Coliseum, K-State has never tasted victory over the Jayhawks, and tonight was no different, as KU took home the tough victory, 71-62.

The students chanted, "On probation," at the same time the public-address announcer informed any fans throwing objects on the floor would cause automatic ejection from the building.

¢ Bird's the word: Three live chickens were thrown on the court during introduction of KU players.

"My first year here one of them hit me," Self said. "I'm glad we were on the other side of the court this year. It didn't upset me. That's tradition here that's gone on many years, I guess. I only saw one (chicken). Security got them off the court."

Of the atmosphere, Self said: "It was classy, the way a rivalry should be. I thought the crowd was great and our guys responded well again."

¢ Five or six bids?: Self still likes the Big 12's chances of landing multiple NCAA Tournament berths with the March 11 Selection Sunday approaching.

"I think we'll get a minimum of five," he said Monday on the Big 12 coaches teleconference. "I would say Texas A&M, Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Texas Tech and Oklahoma are all right there in serious discussion. I think we'll have a minimum of five, a great chance of six."

¢ Flu-ridden: Huggins coached on a day he wasn't feeling well.

"Yes sir," he said on Monday's Big 12 coach's teleconference when asked if he was sick, his coughing heard in the background. He did not attend the team's shootaround Monday and said he headed home right to bed after Sunday's workout.

¢ Durant the best: Self spoke in glowing terms about Texas freshman power forward Kevin Durant Monday. He said he thought Durant was not only Big 12 freshman of the year, but the top freshman nationally.

"He has everyone's attention," Self said. "We haven't seen him first-hand yet, and I'm not looking forward to it."

KU plays Texas on March 3 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Comments

Machawk 7 years, 5 months ago

Typical of K-State fans to pick on 2 female KU fans and tear their sign up. Real macho.

fansincewilt 7 years, 5 months ago

Huggins can be grateful that the Jayhawks have such a classy coach. Huggins was very vulnerable after the game and yet Self took up for him. Self's reaction to the question about the Huggin's guaranteed win prediction demonstrates the kind of guy he is. He is first class.

LAHAWK 7 years, 5 months ago

I agree with you Machawk, typical KSU. Now about the game. We did not play well and still beat them in their barn. The intensity level was amazing. This was KSU biggest game of the year and we spanked them. If you would have told me that we would have over 20 turnovers and have our typical freethrow shooting night, (what were we 16 of 29 ro something like that) and we still win by 9, I would have told you "no way". But we flat "D'd" up and Sherron was the man last night. I'm glad that we can play "thug" ball when we have to. The "bigs" were huge last night, especially Authur. Screw Huggins and I can't wait till we see them in the Big 12 tournament so we can spank them again.

Good job HAWKS.

Jayhawker35 7 years, 5 months ago

At KSU, they hang banners for things like making the NCAA tournament. What a huge recruiting advantage it will be when players walk in to Bramlage and see "NCAA Tournament 2007". We'll be lucky if we ever land another blue-chip recruit.

JayCeph 7 years, 5 months ago

Live chickens? The LJW has a pic of one that looks really "un-live." If they are going to slaughter innocent animals, then they need to at least dye them KU's colors.

Plus, if it was black-out night there, why didn't the home team wear their black uniforms? That way, KU could've worn their 'home' whites which is pretty fitting anyway since Bramlage is KU's central Kansas Allen Annex.

Nice win. It was hard fought and well deserved. That KState team played well and with a lot of intensity. I'm glad the rivalry is starting to heat up again.

Chicago_JHawk 7 years, 5 months ago

If this game was in Columbia, the two female KU fans would have been threatened with arrest and ejected from the arena after having their sign torn...

RockChalk89 7 years, 5 months ago

I went to the NU game saturday with my mother. i had taken my father, a really pretty much non-hoops, non-ku fan, to see a game last year. he told my mother it was alot of fun, very loud, just a good time. i told her she would never forget the experience. it was going to be loud. it was going to be full of energy. a lot of build up for the game, for the atmosphere she was about to encounter.

after the game, i told her pretty much i felt i owed her an apology. there was NO cheering in my section. honest to goodness, it started off dead (the student section by KU bench DID make some noise, so if you at home heard noise, it was from cleverly placed mics). the crowd MIGHT cheer for a made shot, play, but there was very little cheering done just for the sake of cheering, you know what i mean? don't get me started about the weak Rock Chalk chant at the end.

i blame the damnable new season ticket policy. i promised to take my mother next year, may even buy K-State/MU ticketes at a premium just to make sure the place actually rocks. but if go to many more pathetic showings like that (not from our team, but from wine and cheese fans), i honestly will consider saving the $250/$300 i spend to go to the Phog. if i want to watch a game, i can do it from my home in Tulsa, OK. i want to experience the PHOG while watching a tradition rich Jayhawk team pummel their opponent!!! Lew Perkins owes the Jayhawks not a few extra million tangible dollars. No, Lew Perkins owes the Jayhawk faithful the assurance that "One of the best college hoops venues" stays just that under his watch. don't treat KU basketball as JUST a corporate friggin money machine. it'll show a profit for now, but in the end, it will do more damage then good if he lets the Aura surrounding the Phog turn into fans leaving with 10 minutes to go (it happened saturday), fans asking you to sit so they can see (heard a lady say she does just that), fans looking at the loud middle age man as if hes an idiot instead of true, crimson and blue bleeding fan who traveled 250 miles to cheer at the top of his lungs for his conference leading top ten team. you wanna sit? do it at home, give your seat to someone that will stand and cheer. you don't like the loud guy shouting rock chalk jayhawk? stay at home where there is volume control...give your ticket to someone that can yell even louder. you worried about the traffic and leave the the first time you think the game is decided, stay at home, there is no traffic...give your seat to someone who want to be there aand that will stand and cheer loudly until the last enjoyable second of the game ticks off the clock.

i'm just saying..................

kickazzkurtz 7 years, 5 months ago

I'm not the biggest fan of the seating, but are you there to play circle jerk with people you know or watch your team? I know there were friendships built, but give it time and you can build new ones. I'm not a season ticket holder, but when I go I sit to someone new everytime and cheer just as loud. I was at the NU game and it was quiet for a KU game.

milehighhawker 7 years, 5 months ago

I agree, what a shame. It ticks me off when people ask you to sit down, go sit on your couch, I'm here to stand and yell. I don't get to many games living in Denver but when I do I was to experience the whole thing like i used to. When I go to games I always go sit in or just behind the student section to get the feeling of a true fan base

RockChalk89 7 years, 5 months ago

who said anything about a circle jerk? or about sitting with friends? i'm talking about how quiet it was. i'm talking about people leaving with 8-10 minutes left. there was no real home court advantage. obviously did not need it, but i honestly have never been to a game that quiet. it was sad. as sad as you suggesting circle jerk.

kickazzkurtz 7 years, 5 months ago

circle jerk was added for humor. I just hear people saying they think people don't cheer as loud because they are sitting next to different people they don't know. Big deal, it's still the same team you have always rooted for. I don't go to games to socialize or circle jerk, but to cheer. LOL. To quiet at the NU game. I can't blame season ticket holders for leaving a 40 point blow out early though. They go to games all the time so if they want to beat traffic, I can understand.

Brent Cagle 7 years, 5 months ago

While I agree with a lot of RockChalk89's comments about the atmosphere at AFH, you can't expect the crowd to stay pumped while laying a 53 point beat-down on Nebraska.

Craig Lang 7 years, 5 months ago

I agree with kujayhawk93. Every game will not be a barn-burner, and the crowd can sometimes sit back and watch KU take control of a game. If the game gets close, then the crowd is there to help out the Jayhawks. Ask anybody on the team and they will share their appreciation for those fans.

I certainly don't think that the new season ticket policy has anything to do with any lack of enthusiasm. I was a long-time KU donor who couldn't get anything until Perkins changed the policy. Once long-time season ticket holders lost their prime seating, it opened up a lot of seats for us younger fans. Many of the people who had season tickets and gave them up (because they would be placed a few rows back) were not really die-hard fans but children/grandchildren of some fan. I'm not saying the new seating policy is great, but it does have its advantages for somebody like me. Now me (and my friends when I can't go) use those seats and cheer like crazy, as do all the people around us.

I do have issues with people who do leave early. I didn't make it to the A & M game, but I'll bet there were at least a few who left with KU up by 11 with 6 minutes left. If you are lucky enough to have a ticket to get into AFH and see the legendary Kansas Jayhawks in action, why would you ever decide to leave one second before that final buzzer? I can honestly say that I have never even THOUGHT about leaving a KU game early, even when Kansas is up by 40 points or more or down by 10 or more.

actorman 7 years, 5 months ago

Wow, I'm impressed. That type of bigotry and complete lack of class or taste is usually reserved for Mizzery. And I love the "institutional control" line from a school that just hired Thuggie (not to mention that the "institutional control" line doesn't even apply to the current KU administration).

Jayhawktriplegrad 7 years, 5 months ago

K-Staters need crib sheets to cheer? A whole new level of pathetic!

Bruce Rist 7 years, 5 months ago

Next year they should do a "camouflage out". They should have plenty of that around.

DerekR25 7 years, 5 months ago

"Three K-State fans ran up to a pair of female KU fans, grabbed their "Allen Fieldhouse West" sign and tore it in half to loud cheers..."

So does that mean we get to attack every female KSU fan that comes into Allen? Seriously, not to bag coach on this because he might not have known, but, how is that classy? That's pathetic, if we were to do that to their fans they'd be whinning and crying to the Big 12 about mistreating their fans! I don't know...I'm usually pretty respectful of rivals and try very hard to show good sportsmanship, but after hearing about this, I will definitely look at KSU fans on a new low level. I don't think I'll ever respect any KSU fans again.

Another thought...did anyone notice how rediculously "basketball stupid" K-State fans are? They were booing for what seemed like the whole game. Everytime they missed a basket they were booing because they thought there should've been a foul called. The one where Huggie got "T'd" up was an obvious blown call, but besides that the officiating was pretty consistant. They missed a few minor calls on both sides that were more judgement calls than anything, but overall was a well officiated game. It amazes me how much people "think" they know the game, but end up making themselves look like ignorant idiots because they don't know jack. Anyways, way to grind out the win in a very pathetically hostile (BIG UNDERSTATEMENT) environment. GO HAWKS!!!