Saturday, March 18, 2006

Sadly, Bradley

Another year, another quick exit

— One and done : again.

In a game eerily reminiscent of last year's one-point Bucknell bummer, another BU - Bradley University - put an end to Kansas University's basketball season, 77-73, in a first-round NCAA Tournament battle on Friday night in The Palace of Auburn Hills.

A No. 3 seed a year ago versus the No. 14 Bison, this time it was KU going down as a No. 4 seed to the No. 13 Braves, both setbacks in the late, late game that concluded first-round tourney action.

"They both sting bad," KU coach Bill Self said dejectedly outside the team locker room. "We have no excuses, though last year we were hurt. This year we were fine (health-wise)."

The agony of defeat following a game in which KU lagged by 14 points (47-33) with 15:39 left - yet just three with 51.6 seconds to play and three again at 2.5 - was visible in KU's locker room.

"I'm sad. I'm shocked and disappointed," said freshman Brandon Rush, who scored just four points the first half.

"I didn't know they'd come in and shoot like that," he added of the Braves, who made seven threes the first half and 11 total in 21 attempts compared to KU's seven of 18 treys.

Fellow freshmen Julian Wright and Mario Chalmers scored four and zero points in the first half as KU lagged, 37-27, at the break.

photo

Kansas guard Russell Robinson makes his way from the court as the Bradley Braves celebrate their victory Friday night at the Palace of Auburn Hills.

"In the locker room, we were all disappointed and quiet until coach talked," added Rush, who said he was certain he'd return to KU for his sophomore season and not turn pro. "Coach said, 'Put your heads up. You've got another year.'''

KU's seniors - Jeff Hawkins, Stephen Vinson and Christian Moody, plus student assistant Moulaye Niang - had a message for the returning Jayhawks.

"The seniors told our guys, 'Don't forget how this feels,''' Self said. "There's no tomorrow, no time to catch up. This doesn't make for a fun offseason, but we do have a chance to be very good next season if we tighten things up."

Friday night, the Jayhawks needed to tighten a lot of things up, looking as if they were sleepwalking for the second straight year in the late game.

KU had just three assists the first half against 11 turnovers and bumbled through the final 4:12 of the half. BU finished the half on a mind-boggling 11-0 run to lead by 10 at the break. The Jayhawks prior to the run had appeared to right themselves, leading 27-26 after falling behind early 24-17.

"Pitiful," Self said of the three assists the half and 11 for the game. "We got behind, and I don't know if panic is the right word, but we didn't move it (ball). We got impatient. It's not ever best for guys to go do their own thing."

He refused to use youth as an excuse.

"Absolutely not," he said. "We've been young all year and won."

So what happened as the Jayhawks failed to click until the very end?

"'Flat' is not the right term," said Self, whose team was outscored 10-6 to open the second frame in falling behind 47-33. "In awe, maybe. The late games have been bad for us.

"We have a young team. We'd be better off playing and getting it over with. I guess CBS didn't think it (playing earlier) was best for ratings."

What was especially frustrating to the Jayhawks was not only their sloppy play the first half, but the fact there were key mistakes after the squad cut the gap to 67-64 with 2:26 to play.

C.J. Giles was called for his fifth foul. Lawrence Wright hit one of two charities at 2:26. After that, Chalmers missed a three, the carom knocking out of bounds off a Bradley player at 1:59. KU couldn't get the inbounds pass in, turning it over, down four points.

Go figure

17 Bradley's points off KU's 11 first-half turnovers

0 KU's points off Bradley's 6 first-half turnovers

10 Bradley's overall advantage in points off turnovers (22 to 12)

11-0 Scoring run with which the Braves ended the first half

52.4 Bradley's three-point shooting percentage (11-for-21)

38.9 KU's three-point shooting percentage (7-for-18))

2-2 Record by Missouri Valley teams in the NCAAs

2-2 Record by Big 12 Conference teams in the NCAAs

With the score 70-67, KU allowed a deep pass and layup by Will Franklin, who also banked in a three to close the first-half BU surge. With KU down 72-67, Russell Robinson missed a driving layup, and Chalmers fouled on the rebound. BU's Daniel Ruffin hit one of two charities.

"I just felt we are a better team than that," said Robinson, who scored 18 points. "We reverted back to our old tendencies. We didn't match their intensity the first half."

"We went back to our old stuff," noted freshman Wright, who finished with eight points; Chalmers had 15 and Rush nine. "Our old tendencies, (bad) spacing. A lot of it had to do with watching instead of looking. Plus, Bradley was more aggressive early."

The bottom line is, KU is finished for the year just one game into the tourney once again.

"You can't take away the fact we had a really good season," said Self, whose squad finished 25-8. Bradley (21-10) advanced to Sunday's second-round game against Pittsburgh. "You can say we didn't have a great season. To have a great season, you have to perform well in this tournament. We didn't perform well, but that's not a 13-seed we played today. It's a team that could beat a lot of teams."

Comments

MarchSadness 13 years, 9 months ago

I'm a true KU fan but that was pathetic!! Young team or not, you are expected to win in the city of Lawrence. All we have is college basketball and especially after you beat a top caliber team like Texas there is no reason why you should not DESTROY a team like Bradley. I hate Roy as much as anyone else, but he never lost ONE opening round game in his tenure!! And for sure he didn't lose two in a row!! Nice recruiting Bill, but Perkins won't stand for it, you are out of here! Kansas expects nothing but wins in it's basketball program, you just can't bring us any post-season excitement. Bye Bye Bill!! Get out of Lawrence!! Our team was simply not prepared!!

SAHM2tylrnathan 13 years, 9 months ago

Good grief, sadness, grab a beer and some perspective! Yes, the team that beat Texas should have opened up a big can on Bradley. But the cards were stacking up higher every minute on those 18-year-old minds with a late game, every member of the media harping on Bucknell even though most of these guys weren't at that game, and officiating that never let a running rhythm get established. They will be back, and they will have a lot of time for that loss to fester, knowing that, oh yeah, I guess that CAN happen to us and we better not let it happen again.

Fantastic turnaround season guys. Can't wait to avenge the home court losses next season. And can't wait to get through a whole season without bar fights and cry babies.

pro_pilot 13 years, 9 months ago

Bad as I hate to say it. Yes the Baby Jays, did not play their best, but I think coach Self did not do his best either. He was flat out outcoached. Sad. but true!

Don Hortenstine 13 years, 9 months ago

Let's not forget where this team started, they were picked to finish 6th in the conference and ended up sharing the regular season title and winning the conf. tournament. Many including myself wondered if they would even make the NCAA's let alone become a 4 seed. One more thing, Bradley was mis-seeded as a 13th seed, they are more like an 8 or 9 seed.

Jeffery Barrett 13 years, 9 months ago

Coach Self all week long coached not to lose and the players played not to lose...and lose it what usually happens when you do that. The pressure in the days and hours leading up to next year's first round game will be unbelievable!

hi_c21 13 years, 9 months ago

Lets face it. KU is a great team. What they have done this year is unbelievable. I would like to say to Max Falkenstein that i'm sorry you had to go out like that. And Bob Davis, I'm sorry you have to go from this game to the Royals. But please, did annyone else see the horrible job the refs were doing? I know it sounds like an excuse, but I mean come on-look at the stats sheet. We were called for a foul every time we touched somebody. Bradley had to knock somebodys teeth out before they were called for a foul. Bradley did play well, though, but they deserved a higher seed. And why did Self have Vinson on Franklin to close the first half? That three was a BIG reason why the game played out as it did. Bill, I understand if you are trying to send a message to the younger guys but please: if we are trying to win a basketball game, don't put in someone that hasnt played all year. I'm sorry if it sounds negative, but its true. Great job this year, KU. Lets hope they work their butts off and play a 16 seed next year. I can't wait until next season. Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

legolas1996 13 years, 9 months ago

March Sadness- Get a life! Coach Self wasnt out there throwing the ball away over and over and over and over again. You didnt see him out there playing. I believe that the age of the team was to blame for this one.

So shut up and go cheer for K-State you fair weather fan. We dont want you as a KU fan anymore. If you are a true KU fan as you claim, you would stick behind KU and Self all the way. To go from 10-6 at one point in the season and to be 25-7 two months later with a team that starts 3 freshman and 2 sophomores is incredible.

But there are some things you just cant prepare for and that is experience. Most of those players did not play last year or werent even on the team. So next year they will know what to expect.

So like I said, go cheer for loser K-State because the pansy color of purple suits you just fine. And one more thing March Sadness, when KU wins it all with this team next year or the year after, you'd better not be on the sidelines cheering for KU because of what you said today. You have forever cut your ties with the KU and they dont want you back.

helloworld25 13 years, 9 months ago

I think the boys didn't do as well as I have seen them do this season, but I'm still a KU fan 125%!! I'm there supporting my team no matter what!! And if you, Sadness, are a true KU fan like you say you are, you would be, too. It's fans like you that give KU a bad name. They are an awesome team and I think we can do BIG things in the future. Just give it some time. We have OUTSTANDING, but young players. For most of them, this was only their first or second year in big time NCAA College Basketball. Give them some time and I have no doubt they will do great things, and the University of Kansas will rule the NCAA again!! BEWARE OF THE PHOG!!

LAHAWK 13 years, 9 months ago

Thank you Legolas, could not have said better myself. This team (and I mean team) will do something special soon. They have already become co-champs and touney champs their first year. I can't wait for LATE NIGHT next year. March Madness is a typical front runner. Let's see where he is when this team becomes a mature squad. ROCK CHALK young JAYHAWKS.

legolas1996 13 years, 9 months ago

Thank you LAHAWK! I appreciate it. I just cant stand fair weather fans. What if his friends treated him like that everytime he messed up? I just wished some people got some perspective on things.

freebird 13 years, 9 months ago

Legolas, Maybe Self wasn't out there throwing the ball away but he made the decision to leave in the guys who were throwing the ball away.

I'm a KU fan through and through but I'm also not blinded by my love of KU basketball. I know poor coaching when I see it and I know good coaching when I see it. There was good coaching in the Albany/UCONN game. Both Coaches did an excellent job. Albany's coach had his guys ready to play. He got them loose, he made the game seem like any other game. UConn got out coached for the first 30 minutes of the game but then Calhoun made the appropriate adjustments and ended pulling off a 20 point turn around in 10minutes. I saw Calhoun take out top player Josh Boone in the first 3 minutes of the game because he was turning the ball over. Good coaches don't leave in players who are playing poor.

Why were the players tight? Maybe beause of a comment Self made earlier in the week about the NCAA Tournament "everyone knows this is just not another game".

I'm truly sick of hearing about inexperience...There are teams in the tournament in the same boat as us yet they're winning. UNC, Pitt, Memphis to name a few. If you're looking for an excuse look harder. Because inexperience isn't it.

LAHAWK 13 years, 9 months ago

Legolas, I got your back as well as the backs of our young HAWKS. Nobody, and I mean nobody bags on Kansas. When you reside in LA, all you here is negative about all of the teams that play out here. You can't believe how may front runners have come out of the woodwork regarding UCLA this year. Two years ago UCLA was a "dog" to them. So to hear Madness bag on his own team only goes to show how loyal he truely is. GO HAWKS.

fairweatherfan 13 years, 9 months ago

KU would be considered a dynasty if they played college football or if bball had a BCS but they dont...Congrats bill self on the recruits...not so much on the coachin...mayb if u just tried to recruit players and not there parents as coaches we could win a few games when it counted...but at least u got my hopes up for awhile..preciate it

LAHAWK 13 years, 9 months ago

Freebird, nice analysis of Calhoun coaching performance considering you stole it from the interview after the game. Negativity is never a good thing. Let's congradulate our "young " hawks and commend them for a suprising and unexpected championship season.

freebird 13 years, 9 months ago

LAHAWK....Didn't mean to plagarize...I didn't watch the postgame interviews...

karmaxs3 13 years, 9 months ago

Hey March Sadness....how do you kill a Jayhawk? UTEP on them. That's right, ole Roy lost in the first round to UTEP. Get a life, and look forward to next year!

If you think all Lawrence has is basketball, I feel really sorry for you.

Go hawks!

tangjar1 13 years, 9 months ago

This one's from a Bradley & Illini fan.

Having watched Coach Self recruit the current crop of athletes at Illinois, I can tell you that he is without a doubt one of the best recruiters in the nation. Your Kansas squad looks much like his second year at Illinois, w /Dee Brown, Luther Head, Deron Williams, James Augustine, & Roger Powell. What those guys did for Illinois, your guys will likely do for Kansas. It remains to be seen if Coach Weber can recruit as well as Coach Self(I doubt it). If I were a KU fan I'd be very excited about the years to come with Bill Self as coach.

About last night's game, I'd like to say something for the Missouri Valley conference. That was the Valley's fifth place team that beat you last night! Those complaining the the Valley should not have had four teams were right. We should have had six! Any of the top six in the Valley could have beaten Kansas yesterday, and are capable of beating a lot of the teams in the tournament. Witchita State spanked Seton Hall, Norhtern Iowa lost because they had their worst shooting half of the year, and a young Southern Illinois got beat by a team that was in last year's Elite Eight that returned everybody, and we all know what happened to Kansas. Missouri State and Creighton should have both been selected, but I imagine Billy Packer & Digger Phelps would have fell over dead if we had all six of our deserving teams in the field of 65. It's time for those of you in the "power conferences" to recognize the in basketball, the Missouri Valley is right there, and would do even better if our teams were properly seeded. Bradley was ranked #23 in one power index, and gets a 13 seed? Our seed should have been something like a 7 or 8. Same with the other teams in our conference. With proper seeding, the Valley teams would go much deeper in the tournament than we have in recent years.

Thansk for letting me rant. GO BRADLEY!

legolas1996 13 years, 9 months ago

Hey karmaxs3, do your research. Roy NEVER lost in the first round with KU. He lost on the second round against UTEP. If you want to post something, make sure you have your facts straight.

Brad Miller 13 years, 9 months ago

legolas, LAHAWK and helloworld, you all have it right! I have never been a coach, so I don't feel qualified to criticize Bill's performance. Personally however I don't see how anything he could have done would've resulted in a victory on this night. The zebras sucked, but they're not the reason we lost either. Bradley played about as well as they could've played, and we were nowhere near their intensity or execution. I'm sad for the youngsters but I feel great about next year, and have complete confidence in Coach Self, as I have since he was hired.

BTW fairweatherfan, the word is "their", not "there". And Mr. Chalmers nor any assistant coaches have anything to do with "win a few games when it counted".

legolas1996 13 years, 9 months ago

Being here is Omaha, I know all about the Missouri Valley Conference. I knew KU would have a tough time versus Bradley. I just didnt think that KU would trail for 97% of the game. I thought it would be neck and neck for most of the way. Didnt think Bradley would dominate us. But you know what? Those things happen. Its called March Madness.

In 1997, KU had one loss going in the tourney and nobody will argue that KU didnt have the best team that year. But they got beat in the sweet 16 and there you go. Things just happen.

WhataRush 13 years, 9 months ago

If you look back at the game, the announcers said it, "who would of thought a last second buzzer beater would loom so large in the game?" This KU team could have rolled over and let it self get blown out by bradley. They didn't they fought back. There just isn't much you can do when Bradley was on fire from behind the arc. They could have been shooting backwards and they would have gone in.

Look Out for the Jayhawks year!!

Great Season Jayhawks, can't wait for the nexy few years!!!

freebird 13 years, 9 months ago

karmaxs3... I would just like to point out that in 1992 we defeated Howard in the first round before losing to UTEP in the second round. Roy never went out in the first round. In fact we have only lost two times in the last 22 years in the first round and both of those go to Self.

legolas1996 13 years, 9 months ago

Thanks Freebird. I couldnt remember who KU beat in the first round that year. Thanks for the info.

legolas1996 13 years, 9 months ago

This is the last comment I'm going to make in regards to this issue because I'm tired of reading all the posts from the fair-weather fans and the fans who think that by getting rid of Self, that will make us an instant national championship team.

Self has been at KU for how long? 3 years? And in those three years he took us to an elite 8, has one Big 12 Championship, recieved a Big 12 coach of the year honor, has brought in much better recruits than Roy Williams ever did, but no matter how you look at it, this year's team is still young. No matter how much you try to sugar coat it, that is what it boils down to.

This year's team over-achieved. They were 10-6 and ended up 25-7 going into the tourney. They exceeded EVERYONE's expectations and still many people aren't happy. Self turned this team around. Just think what the next couple of years have to bring. We cant go anywhere but up, and we were pretty high anyways.

So I'm sorry for all of you who think that Self isn't fast enough for you or that he didn't satisfy your expectation for a National Title this year. You are probably the kind of person who yells at a little Girl Scout because she hasn't brought you your cookies as fast as you would have liked.

I'm happy with this year's team. I'm thrilled that they did so good. And they have some more awesome recruits coming in. So BE PATIENT!! They will do awesome things. They did awesome things this year. They did EVERYTHING except win the national title. GET OVER IT!! They'll do it. They still have time.

So this is Legolas signing out and telling the REAL KU fans thank you and I'll see you next year or the year after when we are celebrating a title. And for the fair-weather fans, I hope your K-State or Mizzou sweatshirt fits.

jayhawk1024 13 years, 9 months ago

Kansas Basketball has a tradition of winning. We in Lawrence expect it and its hard to watch "a one and out". I recently graduated from KU a year ago. And in my four years in Lawrence I saw a Final Four, a Champ. Game, Elite Eight; not to mention the conference play.
I believe being a true fan means believing in your team no matter what. We have done great things in the past following into this season. The trasformation we all watched was amazing. Watch out next year because I am hoping for a perfect conference season and a final four apperance. We could sit around and blame the players and Coach Self. But why would we do that? I was there on campus when Roy left and I remember how it left to be abbandon and I remember when Coach Self was hired. He's done a great job! The one thing I will say about the game was the officals did suck and there is no better way to put it. It's not an excuse but I would have liked to see what would happen if we could have gotten a rythem.

stater1977 13 years, 9 months ago

I haven't read all the posts, but I read the first one from Marchsadness. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, although from my perspective that person's comments are ludicrous. I was dissapointed to see us (notice I said "us", not "them") get knocked out of the tournament last night mainly because I love watching our guys play. They are incredibly talented and that's fun to watch. If you can't get into Julian Wright's acrobatics, watch golf. Hat's off to them for bringing home the league title. They make the best "town teams" (that play at the community building, etc.) look like lumbering amatuers. AND they're kids! Geez. Celebrate their successes. Yes, the last two years for us have only been "March Mad", but get ready for next year. It will probably be a lot of fun, if you allow yourself to enjoy it.

plymkr 13 years, 9 months ago

I wish people would get over R. Williams, he is yellow, Self's left a great program to be a Jayhawk. Coach Self did a GREAT job this year, and hopefully he will be able to reel in Darrell Arthur another great prospect out of Texas. Then the young hawks will be stronger and deeper and ready to finish the season with a WIN. To anybody who thinks that Brandon Rush needs to go....... you have no business being on this board. He is a great player who has big things in his future as a Hawk. Great post Jayhawk1024

loyalforever 13 years, 9 months ago

Unbelievable!!! I can't believe that a TRUE KU fan would talk so negative about our players. All this talk about Rush not being able to perform... Well, all I have to say is- he's only human, and what a season he has had. I am very proud of the boys and very proud of the coaching staff. Yeah, it was a painful loss, but what a great season!

jhawker1311 13 years, 9 months ago

It's time for Jayhawk nation to wake up. Yeah we've been beat in the first round the last two years, and I'm sure everyone was thinking the same thing as me last night "How could this be happening AGAIN." We got humbled, just like we were humbled many times earlier this season, but that doesn't take anything away from this team. If anything they exceeded everyone's expectations and quite frankly they were a fun team to watch through the good and the bad. And as far as coaching goes you have to look at the developement of these young players throughout the entire season and not use one game to judge how good a coach is.

All of you who keep talking about Roy never losing in the first round quit living in the past. Roy is gone. He left. Kansas basketball will survive. All great teams have tough times they have to overcome (obviously some more than others) but thats one thing that makes college basketball so great.

It's time for everyone to quit complaining about something none of us have any control over and cheer for the university that we all love. Yeah it hurts but I'm behind the Hawks and Coach Self all the way and I'm looking forward to some great years for KU. ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!

jayhawk1024 13 years, 9 months ago

PAY HEED TO ALL WHO ENTER BEWARE OF THE PHOG

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

actorman 13 years, 9 months ago

It's hard to decide what's more moronic, the initial post from MarchSadness or this comment. For your information, idiot, Vinson being on Franklin had NOTHING to do with him making that shot. He hit a 40-foot bank shot, for God's sake! And it's also idiotic to say that Vinson didn't play all year. He made contributions on several occasions. And besides, that shot had NOTHING to do with the outcome of the game (despite what the announcer said). Does anyone truly believe that if the score had been different at halftime, EVERY PLAY in the second half would have happened in exactly the same way??? That's just not dealing with reality.

As for MarchSadness, the only thing more predictable than death and taxes is that every time KU loses an important game the "true" fans will come out of the woodwork to say the coach should be fired. Remember, Self should have been fired when we were 3-4, he should have been fired when we lost to KSU and Mizzou, and now he should be fired again. Folks, it's called "March Madness" for a reason. Upsets happen. Luck plays a factor. A team has an off-shooting night. A million things can play into it. And even though St. Roy never lost in the first round, he sure had his share of huge second-round upsets. In case anyone forgot, KU lost three second-round games in a row from 1998-2000, then two years later they were in the Final Four. So get a grip, folks, and appreciate how lucky we are to have a coach like Bill Self.

jhawker137 13 years, 9 months ago

marchsadness at the top of this page, does not sound like a true KU fan. A true KU fan would take his lumps, and put his mind on next season, we are all disappointed, but how fast we forget that these kids brought us a Big XII championship, and tourny back to KU, put that on Self's resume, forget Williams, he could barely do that. We have a young group of kids, an A+ coaching staff, and most important, unlike wagon hoppers, the true fans of KU, bleed crimson and blue, all the time not just when the roses are in bloom. I am proud of the season that these kids had, they proved to everyone that their talent will never be questioned. Youthful mistakes are best if they learn from them, and I look forward to seeing these kids next season, and I also look forward to knowing the Bill Self will be there leading us all. MarchSadness remember you could be a Mizzou fan, keep that in perspective!!!!!!!!

rasp5 13 years, 9 months ago

I am proud to be a fan of this team. They achieved more than what was expected by many. They have a bright future to look forward to. The coaching staff did a outstanding job with the team this year. If you are a true fan of the JAWHAWKS you stand behind them in the good times and the down times. I am glad that all the players are returning next year. This says alot about them being a team and not individuals. I live in OKlahoma but when it comes to basketball in the NCAA there is only one Basketball Team I yell for and that is KU JAYHAWKS #1!

Christopher Johnson 13 years, 9 months ago

I can't believe what I am seeing.

Who honestly can question Coach Self's coaching ability? If you aren't a basketball coach yourself, you have no business telling somebody how to coach. If you are a coach and you're on this message board, I guarantee you don't coach at the level of Bill Self . . . if you think you do, you need a bit of humbling. Bill Self was named coach of the year in the Big XII and there was talk of him possibly being named national coach of the year had this team done well in the tournament. Players get outplayed. We got outplayed last night. Coaches on occasion get outcoached too. Maybe he did get outcoached against Bradley. Everybody makes bad decisions and has bad performances. I honestly can't say I have any coaching expertise to claim he coached poorly though. I am knowledgable about basketball, just like the rest of you probably are. I live KU basketball. But I sure the heck do not know coaching because I'm not a professional coach . . . . Try to think back this year as to why Bill Self got coach of the year. Possibly because he deserved it? . . . YA

As for Roy. Leave it alone. Roy is gone. I loved Roy. I was devastated when he left. I hated him for awhile. Now I'm trying to figure out if I ever want to root for him again, but the fact is that Roy and Bill run different programs. He's not here. Bill is. I'm happy with Bill Self and you should be too.

Now to the people who don't think age is an excuse. Let me remind you that some of the best players in KU's history sat on the bench for a year or two. Collison didn't truly come into his own until his junior and senior year. Gooden made you cringe when he played his freshman year. Langford didn't show up freshman year until late in the NCAA tournament. Let me ask you all, in your first year of college, did you know NEARLY what you knew in your area of study as you did when you graduated? Nope. The learning curve keeps going up. These guys ARE still learning. These guys also didn't have older guys to help them along. I know a whole year has gone by . . . but typically a player is young until he's a junior. That's how life goes. We keep learning, and these guys will keep learning and they will be INCREDIBLE.

Word to all of you who are chewing out the "fair weather fans". I'm not saying they shouldn't be KU fans anymore . . . but they sure have some growing up to do. Sports aren't about winning. Sports are about fun, learning, and are really an analogy on life. But I'm killing the message board with boring philosophy.

Looking forward to the years to come! Everybody else should be too!

Rodney Stice 13 years, 9 months ago

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Go KU!!!!!!!!

The season is over, all of the fairweather fans can rant and rave about the terrible ending. Bradley made 11 threes, and we couldn't run our defense.

The next season is coming and I cannot wait to watch this team play.

Go KU

jayhawkliz 13 years, 9 months ago

Baby Jayhawks I love you. Thanks for a thrilling season. It was fun and hard at times to watch you grow, learn and become a team. Chins up. Next your you will be greater than you already are!

Rock Chalk!

WeAreTheChamps 13 years, 9 months ago

I have to admit it was disappointing to watch another first round loss...BUT I still love my 'Hawks. I enjoyed watching this whole season, especially winning the Big 12 Championship game against Texas. Of course there were ups and downs, losing in Maui, New York, of course the K-State and Mizzou losses, and the stomping by Texas. Who cares?!?! They came so far this year, and I love Bill Self for what he has done. There is absolutely no reason that he should be fired. And I am especially happy that Brandon Rush has decided to come back next year.

So congrats on your season boys, I love ya, and I can't wait till next season!!!

Go 'Hawks!

larry1961 13 years, 9 months ago

Yes a loss hurts whither in the championship game or first round, but it seems many fans forget about the journey how far these kids came and acheiving more than many thought they would. Coach Self did a great job with them and all thoes who wants his head on a platter, as far as I am concerned, should jump off the ship and never return you are not needed! Rock Chalk Jayhawk

DerbyCityDT 13 years, 9 months ago

We have to admit it folks: When Roy Williams was here at Kansas, it would have taken a combination of The Boston Strangler and Vincent Van Gogh, to create a bigger choke artist . Not only did Roy choke when it came time for us to win an NCAA championship, he folded our tent up and took us home early several other times when we had the talent but were lacking "elsewhere". But Bill Self? This guy can't even get us beyond the first round when we're playing #13 & #14 seeded teams. Do you even know how many #3 & #4 seeded teams have ever been beaten in the first round since the the tournament expanded to it's current 64 team format? Not many! And Kansas has done it twice. Do me a favor Coach Self and don't coach well enough next year for KU to get a #1 seed. Why? Because I don't want my Jayhawks to be the first #1 seed to lose to a #16 seed! Now go and sin no more! So shall it be written, so shall it be done! DerbyCityUSA@yahoo.com

bethnbob 13 years, 9 months ago

I am excited when I read all these posts and about all the people who are still supporting our Hawks and looking forward to next year. Hey MarchSadness your right, let's fire Bill Self, I wonder if Queen Snyder is still available. Idiot!!!! You were probably one of those people early in the season screaming for his head, but when he was honored for Big 12 Coach of the Year cheering for him. Why don't you go root for MU and then you would have a reason to bitch about your team. Try reading all these posts and you'll see what "True Fans" are. Oh and by the way Roy couldn't win a championship here and the only reason he won at NC is because he did it with Matt Doughery's boys. Roy couldn't recruit the talent that we have here.

jayhawklady_25 13 years, 9 months ago

For over thirty years I've been a fan and a supporter of Jayhawk basketball. This season, despite it's ups and downs has been one of the most enjoyable for me in recent memory.
I love the old school coaching mentality of Bill Self. And I said before this season began that he would get something of a "free pass" this year because this team was so young and inexperienced. He did a terrific job and the players really bought in to his philosophy.

That being said here's my problem with Coach Self: For the second straight year he was outcoached in the NCAA tournament. This isn't Tulsa or even Illinois. It's one of the very few elite programs in college basketball and the post-season expectations here are high. When the NCAA tourney begins I think you have to tweak your coaching philosophy a bit to adapt to what this event is all about: Survive and Advance!! Forget about teaching life lessons, forget about player ego, forget about next year, forget about everything else. It's time to pull out all the stops and do what you need to do to "Just Win Baby!" Because what you do during these three weeks influences national perception about your program and your coaching abilities. And I think Self still needs to learn this. Here's hoping that this loss will motivate not only the returning players next season, but also the returning head coach. No more free passes next year. The pressure is on and the clock is finally ticking on Bill Self's coaching career at Kansas.

jayhawkinlaw 13 years, 8 months ago

So we're all sad. It can't even compare to the sadness felt by the players and coaches. Let's be mature and support our team. They had a GREAT season and are still Big12 Champs. I couldn't be prouder of each one...from Head Coach to Walk ons...these guys work year 'round to make you proud to be a jayhawk fan. Show 'em some love. Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Can't wait for next season.

freebird 13 years, 8 months ago

"This was a good season not a great season...Great seasons don't end in a 1st round loss." Straight from the mouth of Coach Self.