Thursday, March 5, 2009

Kansas basketball notebook

Texas Tech traps Kansas forward Mario Little during the first half on Wednesday, March 4, 2009 at United Spirit Arena in Lubbock, Texas.

Audio clips

2009 KU-TTU March 4

Injury update

Kansas freshman guard Tyshawn Taylor fell to the floor in the final two minutes and limped off the court.

“I jammed my left big toe when I hit the floor. It’s fine,” said Taylor, who scored 11 points in 28 minutes.

Cole Aldrich, who has been wearing a boot on his left foot of late, sprained his right ankle late.

“It’s fine. It’s another little thing. I’ll get treatment and be back on it,” Aldrich said.

Left at home

KU junior guard Tyrone Appleton did not make the trip because of a bout with the flu.

Sorry setback

KU suffered what is believed to be the fourth-worst loss in coach Bill Self’s six years at KU. KU lost by 25 to Texas in 2006, 21 to Villanova in 2005, 20 to Oklahoma State in 2004 and 19 to Nebraska in 2004.

Sherron says …

Sherron Collins on the loss: “We didn’t have it today. We weren’t ready to play. Nobody played good today. Everybody played bad.”

Jayhawks honored

KU senior Matt Kleinmann and sophomore Tyrel Reed were named to the first-team Academic All-Big 12 basketball team, the conference office announced Wednesday. Sophomore Cole Aldrich made second team.

To be named to the first team, one must have a grade-point average of 3.2 or better. To make second team, one must have a GPA of 3.00 to 3.19. Kleinmann majors in architecture, Reed in exercise science and Aldrich in communications studies.

To qualify, athletes must maintain a 3.00 GPA or higher either cumulative or in the two previous semesters and have participated in 60 percent of his team’s scheduled contests. Freshmen and transfers are not eligible in their first year of academic residence.

Woolridge team wins

Future KU shooting guard Royce Woolridge scored 31 points to lift Phoenix Sunnyslope High to a 78-65 victory over Avondale Agua Fria in Tuesday’s Arizona Class 4A Div. II state championship game.

Woolridge, a 6-3 junior who has committed orally to KU, scored 19 points in the third quarter — including 13 straight in the first five minutes — in helping Sunnyslope to its first state crown since 2002.

Sunnyslope finished with a 24-5 record.

OSU coach on his future

Oregon State coach Craig Robinson had a wild response in an interview with the Oregonian newspaper about his future in the sport.

He said he was happy at OSU, but ...

“Of course, if somebody said Bill Self has decided to go pro and Kansas wants you, you have to say, ‘OK, let me talk to them’ ... you know what I mean? But I’m not (looking) ... it would be hard for me to keep hopping around.”

His sister is First Lady Michelle Obama.

Comments

nobodylikesmizzou 10 years, 10 months ago

Nope, we're keeping Coach Self right here...Despite the posters who seemed to think that Voskuil (sp?)'s 9/14 three point shooting night and SC's 3 of 19 were due, directly, to Billy's decision not to stick with the zone. I also was a little perplexed by the decision to leave the zone when it seemed to be effective, but we cannot say that the outcome would have been different if we had stuck with it because nobody knows. As many have said, there is a reason Coach Self is paid the money that he is, and there is a reason that most of us have never coached a basketball game in our lives, and certainly haven't been paid for it. (100 excluded, as I believe he/she has mentioned a history of coaching, and others as well, I'm sure). Also, while there is obviously something to be said for making the necessary in game adjustments given the situations at hand, Coach Self did not get where he is playing zone and we did not get where we are playing zone. Let's trust our coach and enjoy the ride that we are getting from this team. If all else fails, pull out the championship DVD and watch Darrell's turnaround jumper, Sherron's steal and three, that one three pointer that number 15 hit at some point in the second half of that game. We got our 5th straight Big 12 Championship last night, and for those of us who don't like to share, especially with mizzwho, we can still win it outright. To me, it seems like all is well in Jayhawkland. Like many said, the stars aligned. It happens. Everything is all good, so do some yoga, grab a beer, relax, and make fun of the missouri fans who are now convinced that they are going to beat us if we meet in the conference tournament.

RCJH

kansasYEA 10 years, 10 months ago

what the heck was the matter with Cole? he played HORRIBLE. it looked like cinderblocks were strapped to his feet the entire game.

Robert Brock 10 years, 10 months ago

Lace 'em up and beat Texas. Of course, THAT will require some effort. Hope to see it.

Chris Teegarden 10 years, 10 months ago

We were wondering if Appleton wasn't the only one who was sick last night. About half way though the first half it looked like Sherron was about to die he was breathing so hard.

Rick Arnoldy 10 years, 10 months ago

I was thinking the same thing, firket. I doubt you'll hear Cole and Sherron saying anything about it, though.

DSommersby 10 years, 10 months ago

Refocus, get your treatments on your nicks and bruises, listen to your coaches and find a way to get yourselves playing smart, tough, Championship KANSAS TEAM basketball!

Listen to Danny...."Life by the yard is hard, life by the inch is a cinch".

Go Jayhawks!

DSommersby 10 years, 10 months ago

Meant to say...Listen to your coaches, get your heads situated that we have to compete each and every game and get back to playing smart, tough, Championship KANSAS TEAM BASKETBALL!!!!

poo86 10 years, 10 months ago

Appleton Left At Home??? HAHA I think he stayed in Lawrence To Teach Bill Self a lesson>>>Put Me In the Game Coach!!, Its called Fresh Legs.. They're dieing out there!!

Give The Kid A Chance For Crying out Loud!!

zissou 10 years, 10 months ago

Cole looked like he had the flu from the opening tip. I never heard anything mentioned, but he didn't look like himself physically. I hope all the guys can't get rested up and have their heads right for the big game Saturday (that goes for the fans, as well).

mbmerriman 10 years, 10 months ago

that mcqueen dunk was sick give that kid a scholly

Lance Hobson 10 years, 10 months ago

We had our Bradley game last night. I hope that's out of our system!

rockchalkin54 10 years, 10 months ago

"Cole looked like he had the flu from the opening tip. I never heard anything mentioned, but he didn't look like himself physically."

I thought that too. Every time they showed him sitting on the bench, he looked like he was either about to cry or throw up.

lubbockrockchalk 10 years, 10 months ago

I suffered through the game in person, the third time in a row I've seen them come to Lubbock and lose to an inferior Tech team; this Tech team is by far the worst of the three. I couldn't tell that the guys looked sick but it makes sense, they haven't played that bad since UMass. Cole, didn't look like he ever got into the game and Sherron wasn't even close on the 3's. I'll take a 5th straight conference title in a "rebuilding year" but having to see the jacka** Tech fans rush the court is getting old.

Hawkish4bigM 10 years, 10 months ago

I think we were just plain tired, yet I would say that Tech's style of play reminded me of Bobby Knights teams. I think we had trouble with their style of play a bit. But, otherwise, we just could not shoot. Time for a break. I would not read too much into this at all.

Lance Hobson 10 years, 10 months ago

The great thing about college basketball is that upsets like this happen and in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter. There have been crazy upsets like this all year long, just look at what has happened to each number 1 ranked team.

On the other hand, when something like this happens during the football season, it ruins somebody's season. I love college bball.

Hawktacular 10 years, 10 months ago

Madness Attached to the t.v. Rooting for the 'Hawks Champions crowned Holy Mackrel!!!!