Monday, March 23, 2009

Triple delight

Aldrich records rare triple-double

Kansas center Cole Aldrich puts his arm around teammate Tyrel Reed as the seconds waste away in regulation Sunday March 22, 2009 at the Metrodome in Minneapolis. At left is forward Mario Little.

Aldrich shines against Dayton; KU advances to Sweet 16

Cole Aldrich had 13 points, 20 rebounds and 10 blocked shots during today's game against Dayton. It's the first triple-double in Kansas history.

Feature

2009 Bracket Challenge

Get yer bracket on! Browse all brackets, check out out KUsports.com staff brackets, and check to see how your bracket's holding up after each match up is complete.

Audio clips

2009 KU-UD

— Walter Aldrich adjusted his glasses.

His vision was blurred Sunday afternoon as he attempted to watch a CBS-TV reporter interview the star of Kansas University’s 60-43 second-round NCAA Tournament victory over Dayton.

That would be his son — hometown hero Cole Aldrich.

“Grown men aren’t supposed to cry,” Walter Aldrich said, his eyes welling with tears as he stood in front of his fifth-row seat in the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome.

Yet he couldn’t help but be gripped by emotion on on a day his son recorded the first official triple-double in KU history.

Cole Aldrich, KU’s 6-foot-11, 245-pound sophomore center from nearby Bloomington, grabbed a career-high-tying 20 rebounds, blocked a school-record 10 shots and scored 13 points in 31 exceedingly productive minutes.

“He’ll be in the record books forever,” Walt Aldrich said, “at a school with Wilt (Chamberlain), (Danny) Manning, (Nick) Collison.

“I’m pretty proud of him.”

The triple-double was the sixth in NCAA Tournament history — first since Marquette’s Dwyane Wade scored 29 points with 11 rebounds and 11 assists in a 2003 regional final versus Kentucky, also at the Metrodome.

It’s the second point-rebound-block triple-double in tourney history, the other a 26-point, 13-rebound, 11-block effort from LSU’s Shaquille O’Neil in a 1992 first-round game against Brigham Young.

“I couldn’t write it any better. No Hollywood writer could write it any better,” Cole Aldrich said, realizing he accomplished the feat 10 miles from his childhood home.

“This is huge,” added Aldrich, who appeared as huge as a skyscraper in the paint in helping hold the Flyers to 22.2 percent shooting and just 43 points — the lowest total scored against KU in an NCAA Tournament game since Ohio’s 38 back in 1985.

“Fortunately they didn’t count blocks when Wilt Chamberlain was here or he’d have had 15 of them.”

The official list of triple-doubles dates to 1986, when steals and blocks were added formally as statistics. The Journal-World’s Bill Mayer several years ago uncovered at least a pair of Chamberlain triple-doubles — against Marquette in 1956 and Colorado in ’57.

“It’s great to be part of KU history,” Cole Aldrich said.

His 10 blocks tied for second-most in a NCAA Tourney game. LSU’s O’Neal had 11 against BYU in 1992 and BYU’s Shawn Bradley 10 against Virginia in ‘91.

“I kind of wish I had Shaq’s phone number to give him a call about now,” Aldrich joked.

He held court with reporters in a giddy winner’s locker room. Several print and TV scribes from Minnesota media outlets recorded his every word.

“I had a few in high school,” Aldrich said, recalling previous triple-doubles. “I had 27 (points), 19 (rebounds) and 14 (blocks) one game my sophomore year.”

The Jefferson High graduate confessed that his blocked-shot total pleased him the best.

“I’ve been blocking them since I was a little kid. I was 6-foot in fifth grade. I had a little height advantage,” Aldrich said. “That’s the one thing I try to do if guys get beat (in the lane). I just try to go up there and block ’em.”

Aldrich’s 10th block is the one that assured him KU’s first triple-double.

He swatted an attempt by Dayton forward Chris Wright (10 points, 4-of-16 shooting) with 5:45 to play.

“I didn’t know until the end of the game,” said Aldrich, who didn’t hear the fans’ chants of “triple-double, triple-double” behind the Jayhawk bench.

“I got the news when Matt Kleinmann subbed in for me (with 1:20 left). Some of the guys said, ‘I think you’ve got it.’ I said, ‘Got what?’ They said, ‘A triple-double.’ I couldn’t quite believe that.”

KU’s players didn’t find it difficult to believe at all.

“I’m so proud of him. He’s been playing this way all year,” said Aldrich’s roommate, sophomore Tyrel Reed, who just so happened to hit one of the game’s biggest shots — a three-pointer that opened a 9-0 run. That run stretched a narrow 35-30 lead (at 13:59) to 44-30 (at 8:33).

“For Cole to get this on the biggest stage ... it’s awesome for him to do it in his hometown,” Reed added.

“I know Cole being back home ... he felt he had to do it,” noted freshman guard Tyshawn Taylor, who had a rough day with six turnovers, three assists and three points.

Aldrich said he felt no pressure to play well back home in Minnesota. He did feel pressure for his team to survive two games and advance to next Friday’s Sweet 16 in Indianapolis.

No. 3 seed KU will meet No. 2 seed Michigan State approximately 8:45 p.m. Central time in Lucas Oil Stadium.

“I told the guys I wanted to leave Minnesota with a smile on my face,” Aldrich said.

His effort had sixth-year coach Bill Self beaming.

“It’s pretty cool,” Self said of Aldrich triple-doubling in his hometown.

“I told the guys afterwards, and they said, ‘Ah, come on, Wilt had to have had triple-doubles.’ But they didn’t keep blocks back then. The most impressive thing to me today was his rebounding and blocks. He got a lot of blocks standing on the ground, probably three or four. That’s pretty smart considering you have smaller guys trying to shoot it over him,” Self added.

As effective as Aldrich, team leader Sherron Collins exploded for 25 points off 11-of-19 shooting, grabbed seven rebounds and dished two assists against no turnovers.

“Cole’s performance will go down — because of the stage — as one of the best individual performances we’ve had. But we’ve not had a guard play as well over an entire weekend as Sherron,” he added of Collins, who scored 32 points with eight assists and just two turnovers in a first-round victory over North Dakota State.

Dayton had no answer.

The Flyers hit nine of 40 shots the first half (22.5 percent) and seven of 32 the second (21.9). KU, which struggled offensively as well, used a 22-6 surge to up the score to 57-36 with two minutes to play.

Collins had nine and Reed seven points in that stretch.

“I thought it was a toughness game, a loose-ball game, and I think Dayton is about as good as anybody we play in that area,” Self said. “They didn’t make shots at all. We didn’t either. But for us to hang in there and play like we did the second half, I’m really proud of these guys.”

The Jayhawks improved to 27-7. Dayton finished the season 27-8.

“See you in Indianapolis,” Self said in his parting words to the media.

Comments

Lance Hobson 10 years, 10 months ago

One of the best thing's about Alrich's triple double is that it has caused Wilt's name to be mentioned all over the national media. It's good to see him remembered as the great Kansas Jayhawk he was.

Kansas fans will remember this performance for years to come. Way to go Cole!

actorman 10 years, 10 months ago

I have to say that as impressive as his blocked shots were, I think his rebounding was even more impressive. Yes, he was going against smaller guys. But Cole may have the best hands for a big man that I've ever seen. I can't believe how good he is at grabbing loose balls and catching passes. And he made some tremendous rebounds to keep Dayton from having a chance to get back in the game. If he's this good now, imagine if he stays another year how good he can be!

Michael Auchard 10 years, 10 months ago

Even though I had to watch this game on a 13-inch laptop screen overseas, with choppy audio and visuals, I will never forget this game. Congratulations, Cole Train!

jayhawkintexas 10 years, 10 months ago

Great games by Cole and Sherron and Reed's seven points definitely helped. The team should be proud for advancing this far in the tournament. To beat Michigan State, we are going to need a lot more offensive production from Marcus, Markieff, Tyshawn (take care of the ball!!) and Brady (what has happened to his three-point shots??). Have fun in Indy and kick the Spartans back to Michigan.

KGphoto 10 years, 10 months ago

ColeTrain. Tourney Monster!

That's 8-0, with a couple shut outs against N.C. and Dayton.

And Sherron, my friend you are sick! That's the most dominant guard performance that I've ever seen over two games in the dance. The driving, the passing, the complete arsenal of shots. Dynamite! Keep the edge.

Theutus 10 years, 10 months ago

Cole was amazing, but so was Collins. By far the best game out of him all season (in my opinion).

Lets hope that both of them keep it up... If Collins dishes the ball like he did, we'll be tough to beat.

Tim Orel 10 years, 10 months ago

I'm just mad they switched away from the game just before this happened. I'm glad there are other ways of getting the games now, but I'm looking forward to when I can select the game I want and play it on my big screen rather than on a computer monitor.

Ann Oneill 10 years, 10 months ago

I hope Cole's parents are able to make the trip to Indianapolis.

Theutus 10 years, 10 months ago

Keep in mind we still don't have a scholarship to offer him though... That seems to be the ?? factor here.

Seems like he really wants to win a championship, lets hope it works out and he ends up a Jayhawk.

jchief40 10 years, 10 months ago

Morningstar would give up his I bet.. his parents have the dough

Theutus 10 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, if that happens, I honestly hope they get a lot of recognition for it. That would honestly be a HUGE selfless sacrifice for the program/school. Not just financially, but to hand over the "scholarship", one that he's definitely earned....

63Jayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Even if Wilt's triple doubles were in the record books, how awsome is it for Cole to be the first since Wilt at KU and the first since Shaq in the NCAA tournament? Pretty heady company!

63Jayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Well, I see I misspelled awesome in my previous comment. Even a spell checker won't save some guys!

Keith Conklin 10 years, 10 months ago

GREAT JOB COLE!!!!! ROCK CHALK TOURNAMENT!!!!!!

rockchalk16 10 years, 10 months ago

Congrats to Cole on his accomplishment and to the Jayhawks on a nice win. I too would love to see Aldrich come back for another year. He has definitely been a great asset to this team. A well-played game yesterday. Now to beat Michigan State! Rock Chalk!

JS82 10 years, 10 months ago

Great Job Cole! It is a team game though and I think most people forget that even though there wasn't much scoring other than Aldridge or Collins they were still playing good team defense. Self preaches that defense wins games and if we continue we can win against Michigan State. Rock Chalk Jayhawks!

goshenjhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

I propose that if somebody still can't spell Aldrich right at this point in the season; they should be banned from commenting on this site..

cklarock 10 years, 10 months ago

Agreed, Theutus. Brady has earned his sneakers, no questions about it. We fans tend to focus on Sherron and Cole, but Brady's defensive play on Chris "Top Air" Wright silenced their best player, and allowed us to shoot poorly and win. Take Brady out of that game and maybe we're all crying in our coffee this morning.

I've seen over and over this assumption that Brady's family will pick up his tuition if we get Stephenson, and while it might be true, it would only confirm the commitment to this program that the Morningstars have shown, and point up the old adage, "it takes a village to raise a National Championship basketball team."

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

craigers 10 years, 10 months ago

It was great to hear Dayton comment about how much Cole altered their shots after the game. Cole is the man and if this young of a team can get to the sweet 16, then look out what will happen next year when we add even more fire power.

jayhawker_97 10 years, 10 months ago

congrats to Cole. well deserved attention!! but the road ahead is even harder, so, keep the momentum going.. you are the muscle power of the team.. carry on, Jayhawks!!

kesmithstl1 10 years, 10 months ago

Great game and great hearing from his dad. Any word on whether or not he got his job back? That could play into Cole's decision.

Max Ledom 10 years, 10 months ago

Theatus,

Yes we do have a scholarship to give him. Also we have one to give to Wall. Matt has a scholarship.

jayhawker_97 10 years, 10 months ago

maaan.. how bad i wanna see those Cards get swat by Cole one by one like flies.. MSU will be down first - they would go home happy enough to beat KU at the first meeting.. ROOOOOOOOOOOOCCCKKKKKKKKK CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLKKK!!!!!

------------- raise the war banner!!

Theutus 10 years, 10 months ago

Hawksboy did you read the article? Looks like we've already given out Matts scholarship... Without Stephenson we are already at the 14 mark... I'm not sure where you think we have one to give? Am I missing something?

jchief40 10 years, 10 months ago

Hawksboy88 hasn't been paying attention obviously. Well.. I mean IMHO..

KGphoto 10 years, 10 months ago

Well, as much as I hate to talk transfer, aside from the double draft of Cole and Sherron, it would be quite impossible to make it work. I don't like the idea of Morningstar paying his tuition. He's earned that scholarship. It just doesn't sit well with me.

Q.T. seems like a possible transfer. I hate that, but he's a top talent that would be starting anywhere else. If I were him, I'd be bummed that Withey and Robinson are coming in. If Cole comes back, that makes him sixth on the big man list. He'll never see the court.

All of THAT said, the way Cole is playing, I don't see him coming back. He has a pro game. That little mid-range jumper with the high release will only become more consistent with an NBA program. His frame has room to fill into a classic NBA center. Another Final Four appearance and NBA teams won't be able to pass up his potential.

Whatever happens, I'm cool with it. We're so spoiled as Hawk fans it's almost embarrassing.

rtjayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

The most memorable part of the game for me....when Cole went up and was fouled screaming "AND 1!!!!!" :-)

Great game overall by Cole and the Hawks. Looking forward to Indianapolis

lv_jhwk 10 years, 10 months ago

Interesting that this made it into the KC Star but not the LWJ (then again, maybe not): “He’s just figuring it out. Wait until he can score over both shoulders more consistently, tighten up his stroke a little bit and get some lower-body leg strength. There’s so many things he can do better.”

That quote was from Bill Self when asked how he rated Cole's game (Self gave it a 7 on a 1-10 scale, btw). Something tells me that many NBA people saw it similarly, given the opponent. Even more interesting is how I think it shows Self's thoughts towards Cole's pending decision about staying or leaving.

Given Dad Aldrich's previous comments, and other anecdotal evidence, I would like to think that Cole is still back next season.

Marcia Parsons 10 years, 10 months ago

Marcus may not have scored, but he did a lot of blocking out to give Cole the freedom he had under the basket. His defense has really improved.

CaramelMacchMan 10 years, 10 months ago

Of the topic but KU fans must take a look at this.

Also, a NYU film student did a documentary on him and put it on line.

www.bornready.tv

Mr. Born Ready.

100 10 years, 10 months ago

Cole isn't going anywhere.

You guys always forget, Danny is there every day.

There's nothing that great about the NBA -- he'll be a great player there someday, but Danny, like Larry Brown, would tell him,

"kid, there's no place like Kansas. Enjoy it here. Don't leave early or you will regret it later on."

He'll be a great, Wilt Chamberlain type Jayhawk next year...

Too many smart people around him (including himself) to go for that fools gold

Plus. Why skip grabbing another 2010 NCAA championship ring to ride a bench in the NBA for a year and make millions LESS????

He will be hands down the #1 pick in the NBA draft if he has the patience to enjoy the 2010 season at KU

Theutus 10 years, 10 months ago

100, while I agree that he'd be best served in many ways by staying another year.... There are other factors involved.

Most noticeable is his fathers situation with work. I don't think anyone here knows (or should speculate) about their financial situation, but I wouldn't blame Cole in the least if he bowed out after this year to help out the family financially....

I hope it doesn't come to that, but family does (and should) come first....

100 10 years, 10 months ago

NY Times writer says that,

"the game with the biggest chance to be a blowout is Mich St-Kansas because the Spartys already blew out the Jayhawks earlier this year."

lv_jhwk 10 years, 10 months ago

Theutus: I offer these quotes taken from recent articles...

“I have a long ways to go. I use Danny Manning (KU assistant and former NBA player) as the biggest tool in my tool box. I could sit and talk to him for hours. I want to take everything I can from him.” -- Cole

“I think another year would probably do him good, (for him to) continue working on his body. He’s having a great time in school.” -- Cole's dad

“He’s just figuring it out. Wait until he can score over both shoulders more consistently, tighten up his stroke a little bit and get some lower-body leg strength. There’s so many things he can do better.” -- Coach Self

I wouldn't/couldn't/won't fault him at all if he chooses to leave after this season either. That said, I feel all signs point to him currently leaning to being back. And I will admit that I have my fingers crossed rather selfishly over that.

Theutus 10 years, 10 months ago

lv_jhwk I honestly think the only thing that would force his hand into leaving, would be his family.... And not by choice, but rather due to the economic situation and his dad being laid off.

I wish them all the best regardless, but I'm with you.... I'd give anything to keep him for just 1 more year... or 2. ;)

Tony Bandle 10 years, 10 months ago

I just had a totally awesome thought......what if KU beats Michigan State.....Louisville gets upset by ' Zona, who we beat next.....Missouri upsets Memphis and UConn and we beat them next...and somehow, Syracuse weaves it's way through to the Finals who we beat as well.....thus we get revenge against four teams in a row who defeated us in the regular season as we win our Second NC in a row!!!!!

Well, it could happen!!!

100 10 years, 10 months ago

Oakville,

We have one game to plan for (right now)...

MSU...

Who (along with NY times) has predicted that KU will be...

SQUASHED

Max Ledom 10 years, 10 months ago

Theatus,

Dont be stupid. Would Bill really berecruiting someone this heavily and Wall if he didnt have scholarships to give them? So your saying when Lance signs with us Bill is gonna call him up and say sorry we are fresh out of scholarships. Morons, think logically please. But I do respect Theatus, he knows Kansas Basketball, but we gotta be logic.

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

dragnslayr, I like no.5. Sounds like classic redneck, close to walmarts.

Aldrich is the bee's knees, the top of the totum, the electronic fly swatter, and one hell of a player. Last year a minimal role, and this year he is the hub while Collins is the throttle. Great achievement.

Rock Chalk

Theutus 10 years, 10 months ago

Obviously Self intends on having a scholarship to offer.. I guess we'll find out where he plans to get it soon enough.....

timecronk 10 years, 10 months ago

Cole played a good game yesterday, but the inflated stats were partly the result of an odd match-up--the Flyers are under-sized, and yet don't shoot the long ball well so they have to rely on penetration. There aren't too many teams out there like that.

It worries me a little bit that the players, Cole especially, are so happy about their performance in a game that was overall very sloppy. I would like for Cole to have said something more like 'its great to get the triple-double, but I still need to focus on improving some things' (like not throwing two consecutive outlet passes to the defenders during a stretch when they were still in a position to make a comeback and beat us).

Scott Smetana 10 years, 10 months ago

Oakville, that's awesome!!!

MSU, then Arizona, then Mizzery, then Syracuse for the title!!

To me anything past sweet 16 is amazing... but hey, we were a 6 seed in '88!

Keep believing!

Although Cole's performance was awesome, I hope the opposition didn't impress the scouts.

optichawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Did anyone see Jason Whitlock's crappy article on KCStar.com? Here's the link and I repeated my post for posterity:

JDubs regular readers know he waits for these moments like a hot, sticky Krispy Kreme. He's not from here, doesn't understand big time college sports since he went to a small school named after a jar (seriously!). Ask about his beloved cardinal football (not Ariz.) and he gets all giddy until he's reminded how they embarrassed themselves in their bowl game and won't return to one in his lifetime. I lived in Indiana so I know first hand: Good Girls went to Notre Dame, Smart Girls went to Purdue, Pretty Girls went to IU and Fat Girls went to Ball State...I'm just sayin'. Back at ya JDub!

KGphoto 10 years, 10 months ago

optichawk, you have a lot of hate festering in you. And your football coach is Mark Mangino. So maybe enough with the boring fat jokes. Ya ever think of that?

And your uncanny knowledge of young Indiana girls, combined with your binoculars, might be reason enough for an investigation.

You may not agree with Whitlock, but he's been voted one of the nations best sportswriters more than once, and in this case, you don't know he's not totally correct. We'll have to play the game. I agree that Dayton's performance was pathetic, and that Cole's block numbers were somewhat inflated, and he is TOTALLY right about one thing, arrogance will get you nothing. And facing Michigan St. with that mentality will get you even less.

optichawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Wow, personal attack...there's something new from KG...MoronI Read the post again and see if you dont' "get it" still. I'm just doing what JDub was doing in reverse. Then, read the link I posted and see the posts there...even MU Fan agrees..you dipstick!

KGphoto 10 years, 10 months ago

Okay optic. But just so you know, I think reading KCStar posts, is like beating yourself over the head with a pick axe. Nothing but knee-jerk reactions and angry mudslinging, and name calling. It's always the same people posting hate letters to get Whitlock fired. Well they've been trying that for a real long time now, and Jason just keeps collecting awards.

The reason he is so good is that he calls it like he sees it. Which is sadly becoming non-existent in ESPN's ever-expanding realm of sensationalism an manipulation. Well, that upsets people. People are beginning to like their sports columns all nice and tidy, and watered down. Jason won't do it. He's a player on the national scene because he tells the truth.

And his column isn't bashing the basketball team either. It's really commenting on the celebration of the KU weekend itself. Both by some media, and by the local fans. And although I disagree with him on some points, I totally agree on others.

And optic, this moron still doesn't "get" how you turned the tables on Jason. You reversed what? I didn't hear Jason dealing any fat jokes at KU's women. In fact I don't see how your post has any thing to do with Jason's column other than to call it crappy. Did you post the wrong link? And if I'm a moron for posting a personal attack, what are you for doing the same to Jason?

Ah, well. Take care, my 20/20 friend.

KGphoto 10 years, 10 months ago

And if you think The Star is going to fire Jason any time soon, here's a little light reading. It seems they're fond of him. Go figure.

Proof that so many negative, anti Whitlock, KCStar posters have brain injuries, from diving arrogantly into their shallow pools.

Tim Bingaman 10 years, 10 months ago

Dude, I hope that you got the "Triple Delight" Sunday night from some of your high school honeys!!! You deserve it Cole!!! Keep it up!