No surprise here: Aldrich sits atop Keegan ratings
After each KU basketball game this season, this is where you can find out the hardwood equivalent of The Nielsen Ratings from Journal-World sports editor Tom Keegan. He'll rate the Jayhawk scholarship players' individual performances, telling you who was worth tuning in to watch. If you agree or maybe even differ, make sure to comment and tell Tom how you really feel. (Scoring: Each week, the top player in the ratings will be awarded 10 points. Second best gets nine points. Third best gets eight points, and so on and so on. The season standings are at the bottom.)
1. Cole Aldrich: Recorded a triple double with 13 points, 20 rebounds and 10 blocked shots, giving him two sensational performances in his home town. It was the first recorded triple-double in Kansas history, although blocked shots weren’t kept when Wilt Chamberlain played at Kansas.
2. Sherron Collins: Opened the game setting up teammates, and shifted to scoring mode when the team needed it. Finished with 25 points and seven rebounds. Did not turn the ball over. He was nearly as big a key offensively as Aldrich was on the defensive end.
3. Mario Little: Hit the boards hard, getting six rebounds to go with seven minutes.
4. Markieff Morris: Played hard, made strong defensive contributions and pitched in with five rebounds.
5. Tyrel Reed: Made all six free throws and picked up nine points and three rebounds.
6. Tyshawn Taylor: Three points, three rebounds, three assists and six turnovers.
7. Brady Morningstar: Scoreless, he missed all four three-point attempts.
8. Marcus Morris: Didn’t have it. Scoreless without a rebound, he missed his only field goal attempt and both free throw shots.
9. Tyrone Appleton: Received a nice ovation from fans aware he spent Saturday at a close friend’s funeral. Scored a point.
10. Travis Releford: Played final minute.
11. Quintrell Thomas: Played final minute.
The Keegan Ratings: Season Standings (total points)
T1. Sherron Collins (292 points)
T1. Cole Aldrich (292 points)
3. Tyshawn Taylor (227 points)
4. Brady Morningstar (200 points)
5. Marcus Morris (189 points)
6. Tyrel Reed (178 points)
7. Markieff Morris (164 points)
8. Travis Releford (113 points)
9. Mario Little (107 points)
10. Quintrell Thomas (64 points)
11. Tyrone Appleton (35 points)
The Keegan Ratings: Conference/Postseason Standings (total points)
1. Cole Aldrich (160 points)
2. Sherron Collins (158 points)
3. Tyshawn Taylor (125 points)
4. Brady Morningstar (110 points)
5. Marcus Morris (109 points)
6. Mario Little (97 points)
7. Tyrel Reed (94 points)
8. Markieff Morris (92 points)
9. Travis Releford (56 points)
10. Quintrell Thomas (22 points)
11. Tyrone Appleton (16 points)