Saturday, March 12, 2011

Tyrel Reed’s first dunk earns high marks from KU teammates

Kansas forward Markieff Morris gave his opinion on Tyrel Reed's dunk against Texas.

Videos

KU vs. Texas

video thumbnail

Kansas defeated Texas in the 2011 Big 12 tournament championship game Saturday, March 12, 2011 at Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.

— Forget the style points, throw the scorecards they use at the NBA’s slam dunk contest away. Saturday’s dunk by Kansas University senior Tyrel Reed during KU’s 85-73 victory over Texas in the Big 12 tournament title game earned high marks from the rest of the Jayhawks for one reason and one reason alone.

“First off, I’ll give him an eight or nine just for completing it,” said junior guard Tyshawn Taylor, whose steal and assist led to the first dunk of Reed’s KU career. “Now, if I was doing the dunk contest or something like that, I’d probably drop it down to a two or three.”

Either score was fine with Reed. Widely known to have the highest vertical leap on the KU team, Reed has been constantly ribbed during recent weeks about the possibility of finishing his career without throwing one down.

“You should see him in practice,” sophomore forward Thomas Robinson said. “Seeing that he has the highest vertical on the team, I’m gonna have to take some points away. But, he did it at the right time and the right moment, so I’m gonna give him an eight.”

Added junior forward Markieff Morris: “We told him that he would never get one and he said he was definitely going to get one and he did. What better way to end (his career in) the Big 12 than by getting a dunk.”

It wasn’t just the dunk that had Reed’s teammates talking. It also was the timing. The now-fabled flush came at the 12:25 mark of the first half and put KU up, 21-13. On a run-out on a fast break, Reed caught up with the pass from Taylor, took a couple of dribbles, rose high above the rim and hammered it home. The somewhat amazing part was that he chose to jump off his injured left foot instead of leaping off of two feet like he prefers.

“I haven’t really jumped off one foot in a long time because of my foot,” Reed said. “It was feeling pretty good in warmups and I was like, ‘If I get a chance, I’m gonna try to do it.’”

It didn’t take long for the chance to come, and it took even less time for the scores to roll in from the KU locker room after the game.

“I’ll give it an 8.5,” said sophomore guard Elijah Johnson, who had bumped his rating up to 9.33 by the time he finished explaining.

“Nine,” freshman Josh Selby said.

“A 10,” said senior Mario Little. “Not on style, just because. For style, I’m gonna give him a seven.”

Usually on the same page, the Morris twins possessed slightly different views on the topic of Reed’s rim-rattler.

“I give that a 10 because it was his first dunk in a game,” Markieff Morris said. “And he surprised me. I thought he was gonna do something else, so I gotta give that a 10.”

Added Marcus Morris: “That’s my man, so I’m gonna give him a seven. It was nice. He got up, he put some authority behind it and he showed some emotion. Just for him to be able to get his first dunk at such a big moment was definitely special.”

Of those interviewed, sophomore Travis Releford dished out the lowest score. Releford, whose windmill jam against UMKC in January has been nominated for a national-dunk-of-the-year award, shrugged and decided on the number six for his score. Ironically, the Jayhawk who was closest to Releford’s assessment was Reed himself.

“Maybe a six, maybe a five,” Reed said. “I wasn’t doing anything crazy. It was just a basic, one-handed dunk. It wasn’t anything special.”

Not so, said senior Brady Morningstar.

“‘About time’ is my comment,” Morningstar said. “The two words I have for it are, ‘About time.’”

Reed finished with 11 points, seven rebounds and two steals in 35 minutes. He wore a sleeve on his right calf to provide padding for a deep bruise and said the sore left foot did not bother him any more than it had in recent weeks.

“It’s OK,” he said. “It’s sore, but I’m a senior and I want to do everything I can to be out there and help the team win. I’m fine. The season’s gonna be over after this, so I’ll push through whatever I have to.”

Comments

100 8 years, 10 months ago

Speaking of Boo-Yah.....

As great as we play when our center pieces (the twins) are the center piece scoring machines first & the distributors second....

And as great as we play when we tighten & ratchet up our D to close to a suffocating level against tournament type teams....

And as great as we play when we have a slasher who scores when the other team is playing suffocating D....

And as great as we play when we move the ball with crisp passes....

Dunks or not, Tyrel Reed on offense is still a huge key for us.

In all three tournament games, he hit big 3's to help finish off the opposing teams (or in the case of Texas, halt a run in the final couple minutes).

Tyrel... If you're reading this.... You & Brady & the twins & TT & EJ & Mario go shoot some extra shots every day this week... Every day, the only rule is no leaving the gym until every basketball you flick into the air feels like butter.... And make sure you get those deep warmups & free throws in a couple hours before all 6 games even if you have to go to a local park so we can bring home the whole enchilada April 4th & have one helluva parade to celebrate your senior night in true fashion.... It's all about the dairy product.

"The cream/butter.... Rises to the top."

Rock Chalk Dunker

Dirk Medema 8 years, 10 months ago

Unfortunately, Tyrel's heal only has let's him shoot 1 or 2 days a week. FT's shouldn't put any stress on the heal tho, so let's spend the extra time at the line and improve your team best % to automatic. Maybe it will encourage more of less from yur teammates as well. 14 of 15 won the last NC for KU.

greenworld 8 years, 10 months ago

I give it a 10 cuz he's a whiteboy and got up. Shocked the crap out of me.

Darrel Stice 8 years, 10 months ago

I demonstrated MY vertical leap when he threw that down! Great job, Tyrel! Now go out the same way you've played your whole career - in style!!

Rock Chalk Champs!!

Jared Grillot 8 years, 10 months ago

When Bob announced it, I turned and looked at the radio, and literally said out loud, "Wait... Tyrel dunked the ball?" Awesome game guys.

notigers4me 8 years, 10 months ago

I give it a ten because it seemed to energize the team and like it's already been said it was his first. He definitely got up high enough to have really done something special. Tyrel it's time to go for the gold you have the skills to really make the next one very special. Thanks for the memory.

Rick Kalebaugh 8 years, 10 months ago

It was a BEAUTIFUL Dunk. Rock Chock Tyrel!!!! Gonna miss you!!!

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 10 months ago

I was listening to the game on the radio and watching the game on TV. After Tyrel's dunk, you could hear the crowd get really loud right after that dunk. It really energized the crowd. I know HCBS is proud of his Seniors (Little, Morningstar & Reed). I was really happy that we had excellent Senior leadership in a game basically played for pride. Self said before the game that this game is for "pride." Nice going today, Jayhawks! Really proud of you. Daylight Savings Time will be officially history after tonight and we all will lose an hour of sleep, but, I will definitely sleep well tonight!

kennethst 8 years, 10 months ago

A bit later.....I'm breaking out a bit of Talisker 18 year old scotch from Isle of Skye....Quiet Celebration.....no problems sleeping tonight.

ohmixmaster 8 years, 10 months ago

Respect My Author-ITYYYYYYY(rel) -Eric Cartman

Sorry, couldn't resist, and somebody had to say it. Great game Tyrel, and a fitting end to this chapter of the Big 12. If we play with this much intensity from here on in, we are a Final Four team at worst.

RCJH

Benjamin Piehler 8 years, 10 months ago

the dunk brought all kinds of energy to the team and the fans, it was really cool. I loved the team attitude, you could tell they really wanted to win it.

any info on the dunk award that Releford is up for? (also, only a 6 for the reed dunk? really man? hater-aid!)

panalytic 8 years, 10 months ago

Please post a video of that dunk!!

He seemed to take off early and get some good force with that one-handed grab, but I was too surprised to take it all in. That was all kinds of fun.

crazyhawksfan 8 years, 10 months ago

Thats freakin awsome!!!Does anybody have a youtube link???

Kye Clark 8 years, 10 months ago

Just odd that he's never had one in a game. Happy he got one in before his time was up...no all the pressure is off for the big dance! For those of you who haven't seen this, here's a link that somebody posted not too long ago that shows what he's capable of:

Scott Smetana 8 years, 10 months ago

Awesome post... definitely worth watching... must click everyone. Thanks ict.

jaybate 8 years, 10 months ago

You have to see this sort of thing to appreciate what awesome athletes everyone of these guys are.

Its like everyone of them has anti-grav boots.

Selbyville 8 years, 10 months ago

Everyone knew he could throw, it's just that he's so humble of a guy that it's the last thing you'd expect from him. I could tell about the 3-pt line by his change in stride that he was about to get up

I mean word is he was measured at 45"

..and his vertical ain't bad either..

hawksfan08 8 years, 10 months ago

second one is tyrel with a windmill lob. There's a better quality one out on youtube somewhere but this is what I could find right now.

kranny 8 years, 10 months ago

I'm surprised that he hasn't dunked more, also. During Midnight Madness warmups he was doing awesome dunks-throwing off the board and dunking, and I think even a 360.

lv_jhwk 8 years, 10 months ago

Just as impressive to me was the charge he was called for in the second half...I thought he jumped every bit as high if not more. Nothing like giving the Longhorn defender a taste of kneecap!

Alohahawk 8 years, 10 months ago

Very impresive to see Reed's knee knock into the defender's chin. To bad about the charge, because Tyrel also lost credit for the bucket. Expect the Texas defender thought twice next time he saw Reed heading his way. Remember Musberger commenting, "You gotta be a little more subtle." LOL

And, great dunk, Tyrel. Loved it and the timing.

KANSTUCKY 8 years, 10 months ago

Normally, when the foul occurs after the shot they give credit for the bucket, but that's not how they call it in the Big 12(-2) at least at our end of the court. I'm sure nobody else noticed the awesome officiating. It should have been a 25 point game.

Andrew Bary 8 years, 10 months ago

Amen guys, he's in the lead let's make sure he gets it!

cixtra 8 years, 10 months ago

Remember when the twins were freshmen, CS was questioning whether they could dunk or not.

Great job, Tyrel .

Martin Rosenblum 8 years, 10 months ago

Good point. What a turnaround (no pun intended!)

Martin Rosenblum 8 years, 10 months ago

Yeah! I don't think there is a rule that states a players face can't be charged with a blocking foul. But, it is possible to charge with a knee. It's just that you don't normally see the combination of knee vs. face! Kinda like rock, paper, scissors. Knee is always going to lose. But it was impressive, nevertheless.

jaybate 8 years, 10 months ago

Tyrel ushered us into the XTReme age with that play. There is no turning back now. It was epoch defining!

jayhawksbiggestfan 8 years, 10 months ago

Imagine how high he can jump without a bad foot and a knee brace of sorts. He dunked hundreds of times in high school. Great job Tyrel. Awesome.

Dirk Medema 8 years, 10 months ago

Definitely love having a post ooping to a PG!

Aligned 8 years, 10 months ago

Thanks. That is a great highlight reel.

Dirk Medema 8 years, 10 months ago

Great summary of the O game. Really gives an appreciation for how good they were yesterday.

jaybate 8 years, 10 months ago

Yep, all the toughness that we were wondering about has finally been catalyzed by the various trials by fire. They aren't the meanest bunch, but they are one of the toughest I have seen.

Robert Robinson 8 years, 10 months ago

I've wanted this for 4 freakin years! But I'm glad he waited til now. It made it that much sweeter

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 10 months ago

Man..I had no idea that he had never dunked during his career. Seems like it was easy.