Taylor breaks out of slump, tops Keegan's list
After each KU basketball game this season, this is where you can find out the hardwood equivalent of The Nielsen Ratings from Journal-World sports editor Tom Keegan. He'll rate the Jayhawk scholarship players' individual performances, telling you who was worth tuning in to watch. If you agree or maybe even differ, make sure to comment and tell Tom how you really feel. (Scoring: Each week, the top player in the ratings will be awarded 10 points. Second best gets nine points. Third best gets eight points, and so on and so on. The season standings are at the bottom.)
1. Tyshawn Taylor: Aggressive yet under control, Taylor stood out at both ends in the half court and in transition, waving good-bye to the first slump of his college career. Taylor totaled 20 points, four rebounds, three assists, two steals and one blocked shot, which came during the 18-0 run to start the game.
2. Sherron Collins: Committed four turnovers and put up one bad shot, but otherwise had a strong night with 24 points, five boards and four assists in 27 minutes. Battled foul trouble.
3. Cole Aldrich: Made all but one of his six field goal attempts and all five shots from the line and finished with 15 points and eight rebounds. Limited to 28 minutes because of foul trouble.
4. Brady Morningstar: Didn’t get a rebound, but played well defensively, hit the biggest shot of the night, a three-pointer to make it 48-42, and had three assists without a turnover.
5. Mario Little: Showed off a nice mid-range jumper and scored eight points in 13 minutes. Showed he’s a team guy by deciding not to redshirt, which shortened his college career and made this year’s team better.
6. Markieff Morris: Had five points, five rebounds and the usual four fouls in 23 minutes off the bench.
7. Marcus Morris: Made just 1 of 4 from the line, but did pick up seven boards and two steals in 15 minutes.
8. Tyrel Reed: Had six points and two steals in 23 minutes.
9. Travis Releford: Played just three minutes.
10. Tyrone Appleton: Got in for a fraction of a minute.
The Keegan Ratings: Season Standings (total points)
1. Sherron Collins (143 points)
2. Cole Aldrich (140 points)
3. Tyshawn Taylor (112 points)
4. Brady Morningstar (97 points)
5. Tyrel Reed (87 points)
6. Marcus Morris (84 points)
7. Markieff Morris (77 points)
8. Travis Releford (59 points)
9. Quintrell Thomas (42 points)
10. Tyrone Appleton (20 points)
11. Mario Little (16 points)