Friday, December 3, 2010

Gary Bedore’s KU basketball notebook

ESPN's Fraschilla provides take on crucial last-second call

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following KU's 77-76 victory over UCLA on Dec. 2, 2010.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

UCLA coach Ben Howland questions last-second call against his team

UCLA coach Ben Howland questions the last-second call against his team following KU's 77-76 victory over UCLA on Dec. 2, 2010.

Download podcast

Videos

KU vs. UCLA

video thumbnail

Mario Little hit a free throw with 0.7 seconds, giving the Kansas men's basketball team a 77-76 victory over UCLA on Thursday, Dec. 2, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Fran says …

ESPN-TV color announcer Fran Fraschilla provided the Journal-World with his take on the most crucial call of the college basketball season to date — UCLA’s foul of Mario Little with seven-tenths of a second left in the Jayhawks’ 77-76 victory over the Bruins on Thursday in Allen Fieldhouse.

The foul sent Little to the line for a tie-breaking, game-winning free throw.

“I think the replay showed there was a foul (by Malcolm Lee), and I’ve always felt as a coach that the referees need to call a foul the same way in the first minute as they do in the last minute,” former St. John’s coach Fraschilla said.

“While it was a very tough break for UCLA, it looked like it was a foul. To me, it looked like although he (Little) was fading when he got fouled, he started his shooting motion and was smart enough to continue his shooting motion, so the referees gave him the two shots. Remember, UCLA was in the two-shot bonus. It was going to be a two-shot foul anyway so it didn’t matter.”

The officials went to the monitor before sending Little to the line with a chance to break the 76-76 tie.

“The rule is you have to go to the clock to make sure the foul didn’t take place after there’s triple zeros on the clock. It was clear the foul took place before the clock got to triple zero,” Fraschilla said. “Again, it’s a very tough break for the team that gets the foul called on ’em, but it’s part of basketball. When I hear people say, ‘Let the players decide it, not the officials’ ... a UCLA player decided it unfortunately by fouling,” Fraschilla stated.

Recruiting

DeAndre Daniels, a 6-foot-8, 180-pound senior forward from IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., attended the game as part of his official visit to KU. Daniels, who decommitted from Texas in mid-August, also has UCLA on his list of schools that still includes Texas, Florida, Kentucky and Oregon. He’s Rivals.com’s No. 9-rated player nationally. His visit will last until Saturday.

Comments

Kevin John 9 years, 1 month ago

Ugly win, but I will take it. What I found entertaining though, is all the uk fans crying on their message board catspause.com. LOL Talking about refs being Kansas employees or "Home Cooking". It is nice to know that they feel threatened by KU, to watch all of our games. FYI, I was not trolling their board, but was merely searching for any news on the kanter appeal. Are there any decent uk fans out there, that have sound judgement or moral? Just wondering...

Anyway, looking forward to Memphis on Tuesday. We better be more prepared than we were tonight. Reed, keep knocking down them 3s.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Kye Clark 9 years, 1 month ago

Pretty pathetic, blaming the refs. I wonder if anyone has yet to inform those Kensucky fans that they were Pac-10 refs?

What I find entertaining is Kentucky's fascination with us. Why? Have we played them recently? No. Is there some long-standing rivalry? No. Oh yeah, maybe it's because our coach punked their coach in the national title game a couple of years ago, they know that we'll eventually overtake them for all-time wins, and because they've finally gotten sick of hearing themselves whine about Enes Kanter.

Ben Kane 9 years, 1 month ago

i don't know, but living in lexington, i can tell you they really don't like us. I think it goes back to that ol Roy beatdown on Pitino.

Jared Grillot 9 years, 1 month ago

It's a possibility, but then again, I think it's just natural for the top 2-3 teams of all time should naturally see each other as a threat and therefore hate each other. KU-Kentucky-North Carolina, plenty of hate, smack talk, etc. What is funny is to see fans of other teams try to talk themselves up to the same level as these three programs.

Steve Gantz 9 years, 1 month ago

Sorry, we're not top 2-3 all time unless you're counting total wins. Championships is what matters and Indiana-5, Duke-4, Kentucky-7, Carolina-5 and UCLA-11! have us beat. Let's win a few more so we can be counted in that number! I guess we could say 5 if we want to count those Roaring 20's wins when apparently they didn't count towards a teams official championship.

Brianna Zaleski 9 years, 1 month ago

KU is not a top 3 program? Well you must know more than most. ESPN rated us the 2nd most prolific program a couple of years back, while USA Today had us as their #1 albeit about 9-10 years ago. Yes, Indiana and UCLA have more NCAA championships than us, those were not won across decades. They are piled into tenures of two great coaches (Wooden and Knight). We have sustained our greatness over multiple decades and multiple coaches. That is true greatness.

Steve Gantz 9 years, 1 month ago

I'm glad you recognized I know more than most :) KU's is more of a recent phenomenon. Growing up in the 70's as a huge sports fan and into the earlier 80's I had little clue that KU was a basketball school. When I enrolled at KU I came in and incredibly since I've been a fan, 85-86 season, we've gone to the tourney every year except once, racked up huge win totals and won 2 of our 3 championships.
Just my opinion, don't tell me to go do unspeakable things to myself or my neighbors dog.

Brianna Zaleski 9 years, 1 month ago

KU is more of a recent phenom? You see, its when you make comments like that you lose credibility. Our success as a program has not been determined over the last 25-30 years that's ridiculous. You don't get to #2 all-time in wins w/ over 2000 by winning a lot over 30 years. You win 30/ season for 30 STRAIGHT seasons, and you only have 900 wins. And 30 win seasons are the real 'recent phenom'. Teams have just recently been playing 30 games/ season, much less winning 30. So we would have to be a good program for a lot longer than the time frame you are speaking of to reach that number of wins.

So that pretty much blows your argument of a 'recent phenom' out of the water. But hey, I will give you credit for spelling phenomenon (sp?) correctly, like you see I tried to avoid doing it

Steve Gantz 9 years, 1 month ago

See, I lost credibility a long time ago so I don't worry about that anymore.
1 championship before 1988 means the their most successful run has been since 1985 or so like mentioned. 2 championships since 88. Obviously there's a longevity to the program, but... They've been to 13 FF's. Since I've been at KU, 86,88,91,94,02,03,08. That's 7 in the last 25 years and "only" 6 in the previous 40 or 50 years. To me that's more of a recent phenomena

yates33333 9 years, 1 month ago

I hadn't read Coach Fran's comment before posting earlier, but he says it all. Of all the ESPN and other network game announcers, except for our paid guns, Fraschilla is the only one who tends to favor KU. I may be biased, but he also seems to know BB better than most.

Christopher Hauser 9 years, 1 month ago

Jay Bilas tends to be somewhat favorable towards The University of Kansas as well as Bobby Knight (who is my favorite but tends to be an aquired taste for some).

Jacobpaul81 9 years, 1 month ago

Bobby is the best. I wish KU would hire him to do all our games. He knows basketball and can explain things. It's not all pomp and BS like most of the other guys. Fran does a pretty solid job and he's focused on the Big XII, so you don't watch Fran and have to hear all about Duke and North Carolina all night long. Jay Bilas still likes to talk east coast when doing the games, but at least it has to do with comparing teams when he does it.

I want to stab a fork in my ear when Dickie V is the announcer.

ahpersecoachingexperience 9 years, 1 month ago

Bobby is great when it comes to the x and o part of the game but horrible when he has to fill time. Need I remind you "I wish fans would chant 'good job" while ksu was cheering "we own Texas"

hawk316 9 years, 1 month ago

I'm a Bilas man, personally. Knight demonstrates great knowledge, of course, and usually does a good job. However, Bilas is also extremely knowledgeable, but does not have the anti-KU bias that some seem to have. He usually seems very "fair and balanced."

Joe Baker 9 years, 1 month ago

yates- I like Fraschilla too, but he had little love affair with Smith (fat boy) last night. I don't think he favored KU last night. He was really leaning toward UCLA. He's very objective and I like that, but like most, his mouth gets carried away too.

actorman 9 years, 1 month ago

I've always thought Fraschilla was a decent commentator, but my respect for him went way up with these comments, which echoed what he said during the game. I share yates' feelings about the idiotic "let the players decide the game" cliche. I'm so sick of hearing that. Either something is the right call or it isn't; the time remaining in the game should make no difference whatsoever as to whether a call is made.

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 1 month ago

Obviously, that filter didn't catch this message like it should have.

What's next, something even more offensive getting past the technology onto our boards?

lincase 9 years, 1 month ago

I absolutely agree with Actorman. Most referees would not have had the guts to make that call. A foul is a foul no matter when.

Andy Rieger 9 years, 1 month ago

Vitale would have been appalled by the call......unless we were Duke or UNC.

chriz 9 years, 1 month ago

I just wish Deandre Daniels could've heard the Rock Chalk chant.

NickBarnes 9 years, 1 month ago

At least he got to hear the student section chant "We want Daniel's!" He was loving it too, flashing a smile

KU_FanSince75 9 years, 1 month ago

I like Fran a lot. He gives KU a lot of love most of the time.

JayCeph 9 years, 1 month ago

It reminded me of the game when Ryan Roberts was fouled in the waning moments of a game against MU and he nailed both free throws to first tie the game and then eek out a one point win.

I hated watching that game last night though. It totally felt like a 'Roy' game from the late 90s where the other team did what they wanted and we just tried to minimize the damage. Yech!

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 9 years, 1 month ago

I'm psyched we have a shot at DeAndre Daniels! Next year could be a challenge if we lose the twins, TT, Morningstar, Little and Selby especially if we don't land Ben McLemore...

mikehawk 9 years, 1 month ago

It was a call you love if it benefits your team and one you bemoan if it is against you. I think it was a foul, and I do think it took guts to call. Would they called it against us at home? We will never know, but I really doubt it. If they would have, we would still be going nuts talking about it for the next 50 years. We shouldn't have been in that situation if we hit our foul shots decently throughout the game. We are getting team's best shots always, but maybe this "streak" is putting extra pressure on the team by allowing teams to come in hoping to be "the team that ended the streak."

brooksmd 9 years, 1 month ago

And don't forget the non-call when Reed was bumped out of bounds that allowed UCLA to tie the score.