Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Keegan

Henry gets physical for KU

Kansas forward Xavier Henry draws a foul as he flies past Texas forward Gary Johnson during the second half, Monday, Feb. 8, 2010 at the Frank Erwin Center in Austin.

Audio clips

KU-Texas basketball

Reader poll

Who played the toughest for KU against Texas?

• Marcus Morris 73% 3232 votes
  • Markieff Morris 5% 245 votes
  • Xavier Henry 9% 422 votes
  • Cole Aldrich 10% 459 votes
  • Other 0% 44 votes

4402 total votes.

Reader poll

What will KU's record be in its final four road games (Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, Missouri)?

• 4-0 31% 48 votes
  • 3-1 51% 78 votes
  • 2-2 13% 21 votes
  • 1-3 1% 2 votes
  • 0-4 0% 0 votes
  • Undecided 1% 2 votes

151 total votes.

— Xavier Henry, congratulations. You just became a Bill Self basketball player, and if you stay that way, you just might win a national championship in your first year in college.

On a night Kansas University displayed the sort of wicked defense and physical rebounding that made the tough-to-please coach proud, Henry joined the act. He bounced off bigger bodies and hung in there on his way to 15 points, five rebounds, two assists and a steal in an 80-68 victory Monday night against reeling Texas in the Erwin Center.

“We knew they were a good rebounding team,” Henry said of spending more time in the paint than usual. “They talked about them all year being a great rebounding team, so I just had to mix it up, get rebounds and be tough.”

Henry has received praise for a number of attributes as a basketball player, but since coming to Kansas, toughness hasn’t been among them. He showed plenty of it Monday while busting a slump. When the Big 12 season arrived, Henry disappeared. His jumper flattened out, and his drives to the hoop rarely ended up well.

Henry sometimes calls to mind a wide receiver hearing footsteps running a pattern over the middle, but he didn’t shy from contact in this one. He didn’t watch from the perimeter. He went after offensive rebounds in the way a player with his spring, length and build ought to go after them. Once, when he missed a putback, he battled hard to get it back, slammed the ball hard off the deck and went back up with it for a bucket. On that play, Henry’s coach looked as if he had just won the lottery, which, of course, Self did when he was hired by Kansas.

Self, who never had won in the Erwin Center until Monday, has been a perfect fit at Kansas. The same can’t be said for Henry, but for one important night at least, he fit well on the court and afterward sounded as if he might be figuring it out.

Not unlike another lefty, golfer Phil Mickelson, Henry constantly smiles. A Texas reporter commented to him that he had been smiling his entire time at the podium.

“If you knew me, I smile 24/7 anyway because I’m blessed to be in this position,” Henry said. “But I am glad I had a good game. It’s been a long time coming. I’ve been playing a little down. People say I’ve been in a slump. I just tried to play hard and work with the team, and it came out well, so I’m happy.”

There you have it: Play hard and work with the team. If he does that, he can maximize his talent. If he veers from that and listens to any voice but his accomplished coach’s, he’ll fall short of his potential, and so will his team.

Damion James lit him up at the start of the game, but after Henry got settled in and was given a different defensive assignment, he took part in a 22-0 run that ate 10 minutes, 55 seconds of first-half clock.

“When we play good defense as a team, nobody can score on us, and they definitely can’t keep up,” Henry said.

Self has stayed with Henry through some miserable shooting performances — his Big 12 three-point percentage is .267 — and on this night the coach looked wise for doing so.

“I thought Xavier played the best game he’s played in league by far,” Self said. “He was really good.”

Comments

RockChalkJayBlog 9 years, 6 months ago

I'm so confused at the insertion of Phil Mickelson into this story.

yates33333 9 years, 6 months ago

Self won the lottery? Man, KU won the lottery when Self came.

mojayhawk 9 years, 6 months ago

yates33333

Agreed.

Oh, and a side note. Coach Self EARNED the lottery.

Robert Brock 9 years, 6 months ago

I wish that Henry would follow Bob Knight's advice. Stick around!

cre017 9 years, 6 months ago

Xavier did have one of his better games but come on now, he hasn't actually truly contributed since pre-big 12 against lesser competition. However, if X will simply rebound the ball, try to play defense, and distribute the basketball, then we might have another solid role player. If X truly plays as well as he believes he can then wrap it up baby!

PAHAWK1 9 years, 6 months ago

Nice game, X. Do not listen to any criticism from writers and posters who have not picked up a basketball in their life. They pretend to know everything about the game. Listen to your coach and help KU win.

Dyrk Dugan 9 years, 6 months ago

X had his breakout game....focused on getting 50 50 balls, rebounds, played defense...and took the shots when they came.

he took 13 shots....but it didn't look at all as if he took bad shots. folks, he is a FRESHMAN...he's LEARNING...and the light may have come on last night.

Way to go Xavier...keep 'er up....because we do need you to play well.

John Brown 9 years, 6 months ago

I think that Xavier should stick around another year as well. As Bob Knight said, he still needs to figure out what his position will be in the NBA, Guard or Small Forward. He has not dominated or done anything in his play to demonstrate that he's ready to make a transition to the NBA after this year. If he does opt for the draft after this season, he will be a practice squad/developmental player for 1 to 2 years. Rush, Authur, and Wright were all developmental players in their first year. If he stays at KU, he gets to develop his game on the court under real game situations. Sherron is a much better player this year than his previous 3 years,

hawksince51 9 years, 6 months ago

The good thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores--at least that should be the case for X. That transition usually begins around Feb. of their first year and last night indicates that may be the case for X--I certainly hope so. There are only one or two legit O-A-D's each year and this year's version appears to be Wall. A few years ago KSU had one and Texas and Ohio State the year before that. NONE of them cut down the nets in April. And Wall will not this April. KU has not had one since Wilt and he could not even play for KU his freshmen year. I would much rather have guys like Rush, Chalmers, Arthur, Cole, and Sherron who stay long enough to really make a contribution to the program. I sincerely hope X joins their ranks.
Having said that it would be unrealistic to expect to see X at a Senior night. I do agree with Bobbie Knight, and btw, I am so thankful we had him as the color man last night instead of that irritating Dickie V. Let him stay on the East Coast forever. rock chalk

Michael Leiker 9 years, 6 months ago

Good to see him play more aggressively last night.

I don't know about the play they are talking about though. Are we really praising a guy this heavily for getting a rebound in the paint, taking it down to his waist line, dribbling once and then pump faking before putting it back up? That worked this time, but it won't 90% of the time.

eastcoasthawk 9 years, 6 months ago

X is definitely growing up. That was a great game for him and the team. Marcus has already shown to be one of three guys we count on to score. If X keeps his tough play up he will be the fourth. I love watching this team come together. Last night was another great one in this journey.

slowplay 9 years, 6 months ago

I did not care for Bobby Knight as a coach, but I do like him as a color commentator, especially after listening to Dicky V. prattle on in his hoarse, gravelly voice. Musburger is having way too many "senior" moments. Time to slide him over ESPNU.

KANSTUCKY 9 years, 6 months ago

X is at least as ready for the NBA as Julian Wright was...

Brak 9 years, 6 months ago

Are you guys serious about Bob Knight, I think he is the worst college basketball commentator. He has no personality and despite being well versed in the game is not very insightful at all, "If you score more points than your opponent in the first half and in the second half you will probably win the game", oh really. You want to talk about senior moments, he did this several times but my favorite was when you could hear the announcer in the background saying TT is replacing Morningstar. Then Knight starts going off about how TT really should be in the game and he just couldn't underand why TT wasn't playing more, then 10 secs later he realizes oh wait TT is in the game and he did this like 3 times. I hate Dicky V and I would much rather listen to him than to listen to Knight drone on.

4jhawks4ku 9 years, 6 months ago

X was a beast in this game. They were draped over Cole all night and nothing called. Everyone hates a winner, even the refs. So they get all the calls and we still pound em by a dozen. James put on a heck of a flop. Great acting job. Oscars come out in a few weeks. I just hope Tyshawn doesnt cost us a game with his lazy defense and mindless turnovers. Elijah wasnt smiling on the bench like the others. Hmmmmm. Great victory.. Jack Harry...Are we still pretenders? Stick to the news and keep your stupid opinions for your web page.

FairgroveJayhawk 9 years, 6 months ago

..... Henry’s coach looked as if he had just won the lottery, which, of course, Self did when he was hired by Kansas.

and vice versa

Henry finally got a taste of what he's been looking for. Lets hope he feasts the rest of the season. I was actually surprised to see him have such a good statistical outting against Texas. I figured he would shake off the funk at home. Regardless it's good to have X back as an offensive weapon.

lawrence_is_my_middle_name 9 years, 6 months ago

Seriously, Self did not win the lottery when he came to Kansas. What an awful metaphor, Keegan! He took Oral Roberts to the tourney, Tulsa to the Elite Eight, then turned Illinois into one of the nation's best teams. He earned the right to coach for Kansas by working his way up the latter, winning the lottery implies he was extremely lucky to get the job, what the heck were you thinking when you wrote that?

slowplay 9 years, 6 months ago

""If you score more points than your opponent in the first half and in the second half you will probably win the game",".. He said that as a joke. To each his own, but I would rather listen to Knight "drone" on with a quality analysis and intelligent insight into the heads of the coaches than Dicky V's raspy, emotional nonsense. I turn on the radio if Vitale is broadcasting.

floridajayhawks 9 years, 6 months ago

FairgroveJayhawk 9 years, 6 months ago

Knight does get players names wrong pretty often but he has great insight into the game of basketball unlike most color announcers that seem to be reading the cliff notes version of what the network wants them to say.

I liked Knight's insight into preseason rankings with about 5 minutes left in the first half when asked by Mushboogar why UNC is where they are now in the rankings. He said the people who decide the preseason rankings really don't know what they are doing, they don't know the players who they are evaluating to give the team the ranking. Basically calling UNC overrated and those who chose them biased and ignorant. I like his 'I really don't give a crap about what the network wants' approach. He'll say what he's thinking and it's a lot different, and in my opinion more accurate, than the mainstream espn,cbs,abc crew.

Ray Buckingham 9 years, 6 months ago

Let's not forget the typical role of a freshman: get to campus, get beat up in practice while hoping for playing time, and get a chance to contribute as a sophomore if you don't red-shirt. Xavier (and less we forget Elijah and Thomas) have made significant contributions to the #1 team in the country. Not very many 18 year old kids can do that. Props to all of them.

kerbyd 9 years, 6 months ago

I agree that Knight did not impress me at first as a commentator. However, as he has gone along he has been able to express more and more of the wisdom he has learned as a coach. A great example is talking about limiting the number of players in the lineup. Texas tries to play too many guards and still has not figured out a rotation. I know a lot of you have been upset with Self for not playing Withey, E.J. etc., more. But the Texas game showed who has that figured out and Knight nailed it.

Sally Presson 9 years, 6 months ago

I can't stand Dickie V, when he's on we have to turn down the sound. He makes me a nervous wreck, he talks constantly and about nothing!! X finally joined the team last night. And the best is yet to come--the NCAA tournament & the National Championship!!! Welcome back!!!

63Jayhawk 9 years, 6 months ago

Bob Knight is excellent. He does not have favorites and I find his comments to educational.

So many of the announcers spend their pre-game time learning facts about the players and the teams. Then they spend the entire game trying to make sure they show the audience how much they know by talking about the teams and the players instead of covering the game. It drives me nuts, when a foul is committed and the announcers spend their time talking about other things instead of telling me who was charged with the foul.

Bob Knight may not notice that TT has been in the game for several minutes, but when he talks about what the teams are doing, what they are doing right, what they are doing wrong, and what they should be doing, I listen and learn. I believe he brings a great deal to viewing experience. He is easily my favorite. Jay Bilas is a distant second, and the rest of them just as well not be there.

d_prowess 9 years, 6 months ago

I wouldn't necessarily agree that X broke out of his slump last night. At least his shooting slump. He definitely played a great overall game, but from a shooting standpoint, he is still a bit off.
He seems to have a great attitude and he is a scorer, so although it has been a while already, I am sure he gets his touch back soon.

Ben Kane 9 years, 6 months ago

how can you not like bob knight as a commentator. he is by far the best, most insightful, non PC, tell it like it is commentator. I could do without Musberger though

Ben Kane 9 years, 6 months ago

granted he did go Madden on us last night for a sec lol

slowplay 9 years, 6 months ago

floridajayhawks (anonymous) says... I know this article is about X, whom played a great game, but I hope TT transfers. He is lazy on the court (defense/ball handling) and I really don't think he cares. After James hit another 3 Collins was getting on him during the timeout and all TT did was raise is arms up. If he thinks he is bigger than the program send his butt home.

Your saying X played a great game, but James hit his first three 3's against him. Self had to change the defender. Then you rag on TT for the same mistake (once). TT is getting better with every game I watch. Once his brain catches up to his body (out of control speed) he's going to be very, very good. I would also venture to say that he has outplayed X so far in Big 12 games, to the point that during the last few close games, he was on the court more than X.

rawkhawk 9 years, 6 months ago

I think we 'Hawk fans should be happy. The 8 man rotation is coming alive and we are seeing a more consistent team emerge with room for more improvement. I really like seeing how the twins, Cole, Sherron, Tyshawn, X, Tyrel, and Brady are continually improving. It was great to see X come alive. TT is coming around and KU needs him. The rest of the bench has been helpful in game prep and will be KU's future stars. Better yet, we have a coach to recruit and manage all of this talent. KU has been a surprisingly consistent program in this modern era. Look forward to the rest of the season. Enjoy it!

Kye Clark 9 years, 6 months ago

slowplay - I agree that the comments regarding TT and wanting him to transfer were way out of line. Regarding TT getting burnt on that 3, it was bad. Fouling the guy shooting a 3 towards the end of the game was worse, but everyone makes mistakes. Brady's botched freethrow. Sherron held the ball in the backcourt seemingly just waiting for a trap and ended up getting tied up and he was over-dribbling and got the ball ripped right from him at one point, X didn't get out on James twice (he was actually in his face on the 3rd one and James banked it in), players miss switching on ball screens, sometimes they fail to box out, sometimes they take bad shots. Tyshawn just has the magnifying glass on him, in part because of high expectations and in part because of his off the court incidents. I think he's coming along, and I think we'll need him before the season's end.

KU 9 years, 6 months ago

Nice progression for the X factor! Look at the two "Big Boy Games" we've played: K-State and Texas. Both were physical and both were on the road.

Against KSU, X played only 16 minutes and wasn't much of a factor. He had 6 points, 4 rebounds, and 4 turnovers. He simply wasn't ready for a physical challenge at that time.

You could see last night that a "toughness" switch has turned on in X's brain. He played much more aggressively in all phases of the game. He took 13 shots, but 9 inside the arc which means he was being aggressive around the hoop instead of settling for 3 pointers. He was strong with the basketball--he had zero turnovers in 31 minutes. He was aggressive going for loose balls. He got torched by James on the defensive end in the first half but kept battling. He hit the boards hard, coming up with 5 boards. We still need him to rebound a little more. I'd like to see him around 8rpg. But his game is showing signs of understanding that Bill Self values toughness, defense and rebounding over all else.

Keep up the good work, X.

Studogg 9 years, 6 months ago

ralster- I can't remember what those comments were...what did he say?

Ten Yeahs 9 years, 6 months ago

Who is the top collegiate male basketball point guard this year? ....SO far America thinks it's John Wall as evident by the Bob Cousy Award voting....apparently not enough Jayhawk fans have gotten the word....vote Vote VOTE....so far John Wall has 30% of the votes and who is second .....a Harvard basketball player?......Jayhawk fans do your thang....vote and spread the word!

www.cousyaward.com

63Jayhawk 9 years, 6 months ago

I thought X played very well. He was obviously a very important part of the T E A M.

justanotherfan 9 years, 6 months ago

X is starting to figure out how to blend his game with everyone else's when he's not getting the lion's share of the shots. You have to realize that until this year, X was always probably the best player on his team. He took whatever shots he wanted.

Early in the season, X was always open, so he didn't have to worry about quality of looks because he always seemed to be open.

But in conference season, teams started buttoning down on him. He seems like the type of guy that wants to be a good teammate and not disrupt the flow, but at the same time, all his life HE has been the "go-to guy." So he lost himself for a few weeks while he tried to sort out his role. Do I take the shot? Do I pass to Sherron? Do I work the ball inside to Cole and Marcus? Do I drive?

But now he is starting to find his niche in the offense. It will still probably be bumpy, because he wants to fit into the offense, but he needs to be aggressive offensively to be at his best. It's not something you can easily switch on and off.

On the other side, Tyshawn is struggling with that as well. In high school he was a PG on a team with several other D-1 recruits, and TT was the perfect facilitator. But now he is on a team where he needs to facilitate, but the PG happens to be a senior leader. So he doesn't have the ball in his hands to facilitate, but he also isn't one of the main scorers.

However, recently I have noticed that TT has been moving to the point when he comes into games, and this seems to be helping his play.

Now that Self has found his eight players - Cole, Marcus and Markieff up front, X, Brady, Tyrel, Sherron and Tyshawn on the perimeter - I think everyone is finding roles.

Unfortunately, this means no real minutes for EJ or Thomas Robinson, or even Withey now. In all likelihood, unless something happens down the stretch, I would guess those guys are going to see a lot of DNP-CD's, not because they aren't good enough, but because they don't really fit into the rotation right now.

Jason Roberts 9 years, 6 months ago

Xavier Henry's uneven play presents a double-edged sword for next year. If he opts for the NBA draft he may not be as ready as previously anticipated. However, if he stays another year (or so) it will take playing time away from the two redshirt players (Releford - 6'5" and Little - 6'5") who play a similar position. My 2 cents tells me that he will go pro and continue working on all other aspects of his game between now and June.

One other interesting note to consider: Not only may Marcus Morris be gone after next year but he may listen to offers to go pro after this year.

robert rasdon 9 years, 6 months ago

Why does this man get to write about the jayhawks? he picks Texas then the next day he talks about KU winning the national championship which is what he should be talking about all the time. surely there is a sports writer out there that would lvoe to give Kansas the credit they deserve

Michael Auchard 9 years, 6 months ago

mason,

I've always suspected Keegan of being very good at schmoozing with the right people. He's parlayed an above-average charisma into a job. His writing ability has never justified an editor position, IMO. However, this is Lawrence and not Chicago. We aren't going to get Woody Paige, so there's no real point in complaining about Keegan. I haven't let him annoy me in a few years, though it used to drive me crazy.

jaybate 9 years, 6 months ago

KU,

As usual, you draw useful comparisons; this time X vs KSU and X vs. UT.

KSU was a bad night for Xavier, because Sutton is 6'4" and very strong, and Samuels is 6'7" and strong. Xavier is just not ready to excel against guys close to his size that are stronger than he is. He just doesn't know how to play against close to even physical match-ups. That takes experience.

Texas was a good night, because he was playing against combo guards on the perimeter much of the time. He had trouble guarding them, but he can at least get untracked a little offensively when he's got 4 inches on a combo guard. But even then, he couldn't actually get to the rim and jam against Texas, even with the size advantage. The Texas bigs were just too much for him.

Generally, he hasn't performed well against anyone his height with as much or more strength, and equal or better spring.

His lack of bounce is what needs to be addressed most.

If Hudy were to add 4 inches to his vertical, he would instantly be over powering against everyone.

This is why he should stay another year.

Every 3 in the NBA is too tall and too strong for him.

Every 2 is too fast and too strong for him.

We are talking about a potentially great basketball player, not just a good one.

I believe he could be an NBA All Star in two to 3 years at the 2, if he got strong, improved his vertical by 3-4 inches, and worked on his dribbling and defense.

I don't see him ever having the temperment for a great 3 in the L.

It will be unfortunate, if he jumps, but it seems likely that he will, because he can shoot.

He just does not look like he has the strength, or bounce, yet for the big time.

I mean, most of the time he can barely hold his own on the floor against middling D1 competition. It is frightening to think what they would do to him in the NBA.

And clearly the trainer he worked with this year wasn't stellar.

Not saying Hudy is the only weight coach in the world, but she gets good results over a summer.

Looking at how much quicker, bouncier, more tireless, and mentally tougher Brady is, I might even recommend the Henry's pop for Frank Matriciano in San Francisco.

Anything but a direct leap into the NBA.

jaybate 9 years, 6 months ago

Regarding Withey and TRob,

These guys are going to see minutes at Ames. Self's plan became clear with NU in Lawrence. Withey gets to play 9-10 minutes, and TRob 3-6 minutes, each Saturday before a Monday night game to keep Cole rested. This is a solid plan that readies these players to help on the one day rest games in the Madness, without rushing them along at all. Withey and TRob should see minutes vs. ISU, CU and maybe OSU.

Mike Kendall 9 years, 6 months ago

RE: Bob Knight, as an announcer----Bob Knight is a walking encyclopedia on a lot of subjects but he knows basketball. When they did the reality series on Coach Knight at Texas Tech, called "Knight School," wow, that was something else. They were in the process of selecting a walk-on at TT. They went through all the evaluations of players, etc. Every minute of practice was planned out. Shooting drills, rebounding drills, passing drills, fast-break drills---it was a reality series but it was also, a coaching clinic. So, now Bob Knight is an announcer, and he has done several KU games this season. Having been a former basketball coach, I soak up his comments like a sponge. He does have his of warped sense of humor, at times, but that's okay, too. Sometimes he goes off on a tangent, but I kind of laugh at him. He keeps my attention, and that's a good thing. Besides, if Chuckberry32 says he's a good announcer, then he's got to be good (sorry Chuck, a little play on words--"Johnny Be Good!).

actorman 9 years, 6 months ago

I'm in the middle on Bob Knight as a color man. If he would just stick to analyzing what's happening in the game, he could be one of the best analysts in history. The problem is that he also feels the need to say incredibly stupid or obvious things about how "this basket is huge" (with 13 minutes to go in the first half) or "it's over now" (when a team is four points down with 25 seconds to go) -- the same type of drivel that virtually every other analyst says. If he would stick to strategy and stay away from insulting our intelligence or forcing a comment just to say something, I would look forward to seeing him do a game. The way he is now, I alternate between feeling good that I learned something from him and being irritated that he could say something so inane. I still maintain that the best analyst I've ever heard was Rick Pitino. He had the same level of insight as Knight when it came to strategy, and he didn't say nearly as many things that were utterly ridiculous.

As for Tyshawn, I am starting to come around to the critics' point of view. icthawkfan316 says, "Regarding TT getting burnt on that 3, it was bad. Fouling the guy shooting a 3 towards the end of the game was worse, but everyone makes mistakes."

That would all be well and good if he didn't make multiple mistakes virtually every time he's on the court. It's gotten to the point where I get very nervous when he has the ball in his hands, and fouling the guy on the three-pointer was probably the stupidest thing a KU player has done all year. He just doesn't appear to grasp the concept of taking game situations into account when making decisions. Players are often complimented as being smart basketball players. I'm not saying that TT is stupid in the rest of his life because I have no idea, but he does seem to be a pretty stupid basketball player. (I like Knight's comment after the foul, when he said Self was probably looking at him and wondering if he had really just seen that.)

hawksince51 9 years, 6 months ago

I just watched Bobby Knight explain why Syracuse has the best zone D in the country and how to try to beat it. I wish Roy would have had benefit of that in the 1996 elite 8 or the 2003 finals. The man knows what he is talking about and so what if he has a senior moment once in awhile. I do too--we are the same age. But, I only know 5% of what he knows about basketball and always learn a lot listening to him.
I learn nothing from Dickie V--he drones on about nothing but how great the ACC and Big East are and I have to turnoff the sound. The other thing he will never shut up about is when a D player ties up the O player but the arrow favors the O team and they keep the ball. He says "What a lousy rule; the D player has done everything he should but does not get rewarded. They need to change that rule." Of course he gets rewarded--50% of the time he gets the ball and the other 50% of the time he gets it on the next tie-up or jump ball to start the 2nd half. Just an example.

Acon2010 9 years, 6 months ago

I say that against Texas that night Xavier Henry because he dominated the boards, and it is one of the best games that he has ever had. Do you agree?

1977kufan 9 years, 6 months ago

I know that this article is about X. He had an outstanding performance in several areas and most importantly, he played outstanding D and was "a member of the team". This is the play of X that I want to see and I know several coaches would really like this performance on a regular basis. KEEP IT UP X!!! The side discussions about Coach Knight are interesting. He brings more experience, basketball insight and correct evaluations of teams and players that every other announcer or "color announcer". He is miles ahead of Dickie V in these areas. As an example for me, I do not need an announcer telling me that a player has scored a three point goal with a loud "trifecta baby". It is obvious!! But rather a quick analysis of the play, such as a 3 off of an outside screen or a simple defensive mistake by the opposing team. I hope that Coach Knight does multiple games in the Big12 and in the "dance" in March and April. What an addition he would be to the Final Four!!! ROCK CHALK, JAYHAWK!!!

Steve Brown 9 years, 6 months ago

X staying is out of the question and how it is good for us.

Other coaches like calimari can claim that they promote OAD and KU staff haven't had one yet... for good reason, we expose and grow the players. Therefore, even though he may or may not be ready, we need X to go pro and take that ledge off our head for other future OAD recruits.

hawksince51 9 years, 6 months ago

"X staying is out of the question and how it is good for us." That is an interesting argument that I cannot quite bring myself to agree with for 2 reasons: 1. First of all X really was expected to be an OAD when he was recruited, but so far has not shown the pros he is a first round draft choice. That could still happen and if it does he will probably be an OAD. 2. As I stated in an earlier post, I have yet to see teams with the hotshot OAD's win an NC--Durant, Oden, Beaseley, Memphis PG in '08 (senior moment), etc. I would be quite happy to be proven wrong on both points come April. Rock Chalk

waywardJay 9 years, 6 months ago

HS51.... he's not worthy of being mentioned.... we are seeing this year why Derrick Rose was all hype, and no substance. he's a Starbury.

hawksince51 9 years, 6 months ago

WWJ--yeah, that's the guy. Couldn't remember his name because I never hear it on SC. Of all the ones I mentioned only Durant has helped his NBA team significantly. With those odds I have to wonder why NBA Execs continue to waste top draft picks on these guys.