Markieff takes top Keegan honor against Illinois

1. Markieff Morris: Dominated down low and had 24 points and 12 rebounds, including 14 and 7 in the second half.

2. Marcus Morris: Made amazing hang-in-the-air moves, a killer turn-around jumper and crashed the boards with purpose. Finished with 17 points and 12 rebounds.

3. Tyshawn Taylor: With the help of big men on the perimeter, he did a terrific job of containing Illinois point guard Demetri McCamey, limiting him to six points.

4. Brady Morningstar: Had another terrific passing night and hit a huge three from the top of the key in the second half. Had six assists, one turnover and one steal.

5. Thomas Robinson: Twins played so exceptionally well that it didn’t leave many minutes for Robinson. He made the most of those he got, picking up four points, three rebounds and a blocked shot in 11 minutes. Took an ill-advised jumper in the second half.

6. Elijah Johnson: Taylor got whistled for his second foul midway through the first half and Johnson played terrific defense on McCamey in Taylor’s absence.

7. Tyrel Reed: Couldn’t get his shot to drop. He made 1 of 7 shots, including 1 of 5 three-pointers. Played well defensively and didn’t turn it over in 32 minutes.

8. Josh Selby: Did not attempt a shot in 10 minutes, but made a few nice passes and was credited with two assists. Lost his man defensively and was burned for a three-point shot.

9. Mario Little: Had a put-back, but that didn’t keep him from getting the quick hook for getting abused defensively.

10. Travis Releford: Played one minute.

The Keegan Ratings: Season Standings
1. Marcus Morris (303 points)
2. Markieff Morris (272 points)
3. Tyshawn Taylor (225 points)
4. Tyrel Reed (221 points)
5. Brady Morningstar (215 points)
6. Thomas Robinson (199 points)
T7. Mario Little (124 points)
T7. Josh Selby (124 points)
9. Elijah Johnson (123 points)
10. Travis Releford (102 points)
11. Jeff Withey (57 points)
12. Royce Woolridge (6 points)

The Keegan Ratings: Big 12 and postseason standings
1. Marcus Morris (186 points)
2. Markieff Morris (156 points)
3. Brady Morningstar (149 points)
4. Tyrel Reed (139 points)
5. Tyshawn Taylor (116 points)
6. Thomas Robinson (105 points)
7. Mario Little (90 points)
8. Josh Selby (77 points)
9. Elijah Johnson (73 points)
10. Travis Releford (31 points)
11. Jeff Withey (24 points)
12. Royce Woolridge (2 points)

Comments

Joel Thomas 8 years, 6 months ago

One: How about that carom three made by Paul? That thing must have bounced up to 20 ft. Two: I saw somewhere else say that backboard alley oop was a playground move, but that was a solid play. As it is it's a great almost play. Three: I hope OSU keeps drinking the Kool-Aid.

Tim Chappell 8 years, 6 months ago

Tyrel did so many intangibles, especially in the second half. I would have rated him at #5. He just couldn't drop the 3-ball.

Kye Clark 8 years, 6 months ago

What is Keegan mistaken about exactly? Look everyone loves Reed, but you couldn't justify putting him any higher in the ratings. And we can laud the intangibles of Brady & Tyrel all we want, but what exactly did they do so well that it would warrant moving them ahead of anybody on this list? Bottom line is that one of Tyrel's main responsibilities is to hit shots, and he missed wide open looks all night. I'm honestly trying to figure out what you're suggesting. That Reed and Brady played better than the Twins?

To your point about seeing KU function with both twins as long as Brady and Tyrel are in there, there was a really ugly stretch of about 3 possessions where we got outscored 7-2 I believe with the Twins on the bench and Brady & Tyrel in the game. The announcers even remarked that Self had "seen enough of that", getting the Twins in there at the next dead ball.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 6 months ago

I agree ralster, but I'm not sure you can get "mad" at a kid for missing shots. If they are lacking effort, not going after loose balls, not boxing out, missing assignments, losing track of their man defensively, etc, etc, then I could understand being "mad." However, missing shots is not something you can get mad at. They either fall or they don't. I can understand being disappointed, but I don't think "mad" is the correct emotion in that case.

Perhaps I'm just arguing semantics with you, though.

Alohahawk 8 years, 6 months ago

Scoring is important, but so are the intangibles to any good team. Glad to see that TT was recognized for his defensive contributions and ball handling. Great team effort by everyone. Best defense of the year by our perimeter players.

Jonathan Allison 8 years, 6 months ago

I really didn't even realize that Tyrel only made 1 of 7 shots. He played well despite not making shots. It's good to see Tyshawn playing terrific defense and driving the lane under control. The twins were just too much for Illinois, and I think that they'll be too much for Richmond, FSU or VCU, Butler or Wisconsin, and Florida or BYU, too.

AsadZ 8 years, 6 months ago

Kieff had a great game no doubt but I have to give MOJ to TT. Without him the offense was stale. He controlled the offense and had a great D as well.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 6 months ago

I agree. There was a stretch at the end of the first half that TT was on the bench with 2 fouls, and we just didn't have anywhere close to the same flow. It, more than anything, allowed Illinois to get back into the game with us. Of course, TT is partly to blame for that as well in picking up the fouls, but if he would have been on the floor, we may have been able to put the game out of reach in the first half. Instead, U of I were able to gain some confidence, and it was a battle all the way until about 4 or 5 minutes left (it was at that point when we "put it away" that TT was driving the lane relentlessly as well).

TT was a big difference in this game, for sure.

justanotherfan 8 years, 6 months ago

I noticed that Tyrel was struggling with his shot, but I didn't notice because of him. I noticed because on two separate plays, Tyshawn made a concerted effort to get Reed a good look to get him going. This was while the game was still relatively close and it seemed like we may need a big shot from the perimeter. Twice on drives Taylor kicked it to a wide open Tyrel, but his shots just weren't going down. The thing I liked though was that Tyshawn was looking to get a guy going because he thought we would need Tyrel's shooting. That's a high IQ point guard play.

KU_Alumn_2000 8 years, 6 months ago

Maxhawk hit the nail right on the head. This team doesn't function without Tyrel and Brady.

Dirk Medema 8 years, 6 months ago

TT just controlled the pace of the game. Sometimes pushing it when there was an opening, tho I think there was 1 charge, but also by slowing it and drawing the D to him before making the nice past to an open Morrii for a jam or an open Tyrel for a 3 (attempt) that has to be respected by the D. Great leadership.

When you combine that with his D on McCamey (-pts for him and the rest of the team) is a positive in my book, he's the MOJ IMO.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 6 months ago

Haha, wrote my post above before getting down to yours... I could have saved my time as it essentially says the same thing....

Great minds, I guess, right? :-)

LAJayhawk 8 years, 6 months ago

Morrii both played outstanding basketball and both had huge lines. They were truly much more than U of I could handle.

However, I was still rather disappointed with the offensive rebounding effort. It was rather abysmal. Granted part of that had to do with the fact that we didn't run a solid offense on many possessions last night, thereby not giving the twins proper position to get put backs. Still, we are a much better offensive rebounding team than we displayed last night.

That, perhaps more than anything else, kept Illinois in the game.

I don't mean to be a wet blanket on a nice win, but that was the most disappointing aspect of the game for me.

Alohahawk 8 years, 6 months ago

Somewhat agree, but give Illinois credit. They ended up as one of the top 32 teams in the tournament. Also, they started the tallest team in the NCAA this year. Their overall record may not have reflected it, but they were still ranked highly by the rating services.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 6 months ago

I don't mean any discredit to Illinois with that at all. They are a good team. However, they are not an overpowering defensive rebounding team at all. I don't have the numbers in front of me (and, full disclosure, I'm lifting this from Jesse last night), but they are average to below average on the glass.

Again, Illinois is a solid team, but we could have hit the glass harder to be sure. IMO, that had a bigger impact than just about anything else (except maybe the high number of turnovers in the first half, which U of I also doesn't force very often).

KUFan90 8 years, 6 months ago

It's pretty crazy that a talent like TRob gets 11 mins. I get that the twins were on fire and would have been just as crazy to not play them.

It's been discussed before, but I'm still surprised Self can't find a situation to try Marcus at the 3 and have all three of the bigs in the game at the same time. I get the defensive matchup argument and all that, but surely there would have to be an appropriate time for it? Sure seems like that would be a nightmare for opposing defenses, and the rebounding muscle would be insane.

Put the twins, TRob, TT, and Reed/Morningstar out there...I know, wrong time to start experimenting, but a fun thought!

Alohahawk 8 years, 6 months ago

Agree it would be nice to install all three (MC, MK and TRob) at the same time, but Self is being conservative and playing it safe. He needs to keep our bigs available for backup, in case of foul trouble. Also, to keep them fresh. However, the possibility could be there during the second half, if none of the three are in foul trouble. Makes one salivate. Putting Marcus on the perimeter, with his 3 point ability, would help to open up the middle. Oh, to have one more year of the twins and TRob together.

Jeremy Wilhelm 8 years, 6 months ago

I don't completely disagree with Mario getting a low rating given that he didn't play much, but I would almost prefer to leave it as a Did Not Rate given that his 'abuse' came at the hands of a ill-conceived coaching move (going small with only 1 true big against a rotation filled with two capable big men). Mario is a guard who can fill in as a forward when the opponent goes small, but how the heck could we expect him to adequately guard a guy who had 4-5 inches on him?

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 6 months ago

Kieff---- I really love your game right now, man!!!!!!!!

I can see the Twins making a Subway commercial after they turn pro----maybe a Philly Cheesesteak------it could be a really funny commercial.

rockchalkfz33 8 years, 6 months ago

Rock chalk!! :) I love it, CAN'T wait for friday. Let's go hawks!!!!!

Hawksfan27 8 years, 6 months ago

I think a lineup where the Morrii and T-Rob are on the floor together along with Taylor and Morningstar would be our best lineup. I also really think it's cool when Taylor, Johnson, and Selby are on the floor at the same time. I wish Selby would take a couple of shots a game and not look so shy about taking a shot or driving to the hoop. As of late he almost always looks to pass the ball even though he has more talent than Reed and Morningstar put together. i also wish T-Rob would try to block some shots like he did last year