Monday, March 16, 2009

Keegan

Kansas has no chance

Videos

KU gets No. 3 seed

video thumbnail

Complete coverage of Kansas' No. 3 seeding in the NCAA Tournament.

Audio clips

2009 KU Selection Sunday

If we’ve learned anything about this Kansas University basketball team, it’s that it plays its best basketball when it has an edge to it, when it feels slighted about something, real or imagined.

The team that can say to itself, “Nobody believes in us,” always has the intangible factor in its favor.

OK, we’re here to help.

Simply too many roadblocks stand in KU’s way to reasonably expect a return trip to the Final Four. One of the four brackets had to be the toughest, and it just so happens Kansas drew the short straw.

The Midwest region features Louisville, the tournament’s No. 1 overall seed; Michigan State, which already blasted the Jayhawks by 13 points; and Wake Forest, which has counted among its victims North Carolina and Duke.

Also vying for one of the four spots in Indianapolis, site of the Midwest Regional, is Arizona, which manhandled KU by 17 points in December. On the topic of playing with a “nobody-respects-us” edge, Arizona ranks at the top because Dick Vitale said it didn’t deserve a bid.

And then there is the issue of getting past the first round. Superstitious types might point to the North Dakota State Bison having the same nickname as Bucknell, but that’s the least of KU’s concerns in confronting the Summit League champions in both the regular season and conference tourney.

The Bison’s six losses came by a total of 34 points, including by four points at USC. Senior Ben Woodside, one of North Dakota State’s six seniors, scored 60 points in one of the six losses.

Location? Fargo is a 31⁄2-hour drive from the Twin Cities. The state of North Dakota doesn’t get much national publicity, so the Bison earning a spot in the NCAA Tournament in its first year of eligibility ranks as, well, maybe the most exciting event in state history. Think I’m joking? Google “celebrities from North Dakota” and you’ll find three names: Leslie Bibb, Josh Duhamel and Kam Heskin, otherwise known as Who? Who? and Who?

North Dakota’s most famous native, Lawrence “Tiny Bubbles” Welk, host of the Lawrence Welk Show, the single most boring and depressing “entertainment” in TV history, put many an insomniac to sleep for what seemed like centuries of Sunday nights.

Toss in a game time of 11:30 a.m., identical to that of the Baylor loss, plus the fact Kansas has lost two of its last three games, and the reality is Kansas will need all the fan support it can get in Minneapolis just to advance to a potentially daunting second-round game against either No. 6 seed West Virginia or 11th-seeded Dayton.

In his one year in Manhattan, Bob Huggins didn’t beat Bill Self, but their teams play similarly tough defense and hit the boards hard. West Virginia isn’t as talented as it was a year ago, when it reached the Elite Eight, but it’s far more talented than the team Huggins coached at Kansas State.

Half-hearted efforts won’t cut it in Minneapolis. The Jayhawks must bring energy and toughness both Friday and Sunday to earn the privilege to sit at a podium in Indianapolis and say, “Face it, nobody even gave us a chance to get this far.”

Comments

Trey Hohman 10 years, 10 months ago

Huggy-bear, smuggy-bear, blah, blah...See you in Rd 2 Bobby.... (KU wins by 8)

PS: If Roy Williams (worst big-game coach of all-time) wins another NCAA as all the experts think, then I will personally consider the concept of becoming a smug, fake, moronic, con-artist, blood-sucker as a life-style choice, because obviously these are the traits one needs to possess in order to become a champion in this world amid all the b.s...

cffighter86 10 years, 10 months ago

lhoman...obviously your still bitter about Roy leaving.... three words for ya

GET OVER IT

Trey Hohman 10 years, 10 months ago

cffighter86,

Thank you so much for that illuminating suggestion.....Three letters for you.... "G.E.D."

So, I don't know about anyone else, but I am personally shocked and disturbed and awed by all the "experts" on E(specially)S(pinning)P(etty)N(arcissists) who are giving North Carolina all this Nation-title-love across the board....

Next thing they are going to predict is how our economy is going to rebound on the strength and moral-leadership of Citibank, Bernie Madoff, Enron, & AIG.

Roy Williams is all hat & no cattle & if he wins another National Championship, I personally promise to jump off a cliff into a heaping pile of hot molten lava...

I don't have any bitterness against Roy personally.. Matter of fact, if there were any coach I would want to face in the NCAA it woul be any team coached by Roy Williams, only because we would win at least 7 games out of 10 against him....I am just shocked that these tv personalities don't take into account his history in this tournament...

U2freak 10 years, 10 months ago

Keegan, is it a 'bulletin board' material for the hawks or is it sensational journalism that you learned from the J-school?

dryljones 10 years, 10 months ago

Your article needed more research about North Dakota. For instance, Lawrence Welk's theme song wasn't "Tiny Bubbles" (that was Don Ho from Hawaii), it was "Bubbles in the Wine" --hence he was known as the "Champagne Music Maker". He was very smart about one thing--he got OUT of North Dakota as soon as he could. In fact, that is another reason KU should watch out for Ben Woodside. He has a real reason to go for another 60 points--he is on national TV and can use us as a way to get out of North Dakota.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 10 months ago

What about Jeff Boschee? Isn't he from North Dakota? I remember we went there for a game because of the "play in a player's home city/state" program that coach had for a few years. How's that for a well-known-person-from-N.Dakota reference?

ObiWan 10 years, 10 months ago

Wow Keegan. Great headline! Your optimism is inspiring. Part of the excitement of the tourney is that EVERYONE has a chance, even the 16 seeds (however unlikely). All it takes is a 6 game win streak, and unless I'm mistaken, KU won one of the three toughest conferences outright. I'm not saying I plan to see boobs on Mass Street this year, but I do think it's a little early to put Huggins in the Sweet 16. Shame on you!

yates33333 10 years, 10 months ago

Now I know why I am overjoyed when Keegan is pounded by those who post on this thread. He disliked Lawrence Welk. A, one, and a, two, and a, up yours Keegan.

rawkhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

KU needs to play with a chip on its shoulder. They didn't get the easiest draw, but I hope they rise to the occasion. The 'Hawks need to keep focus on ND state...

Ben Kane 10 years, 10 months ago

Keeg,

Honestly...you should be ashamed for that headline. You may think KU is going to have trouble but you don't say that to a bunch of Kansas fans!

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 10 months ago

i like the article. KU has to play for SOMETHING, besides being in the 1st round, against a team we're supposed to beat.

i think NDSU is the toughest 14 seed in the tourney...and the fact that they CAN beat us, will be plenty of motivation. Just focus on defense and ball handling, and it will all take care of itself.

Go Jayhawks!

KUPROUD 10 years, 10 months ago

Nice try, Tom. I know you're trying hard to give the team a "chip on the shoulder" with some bulletin board material. But it has to come from within, because since the Baylor loss the sound bites from the players have seemed pretty low energy. I hope the practices from hell have helped get their focus on just playing well together, no matter whom they play. I'm not a big coach K fan, but I admire his ability to get his team to stay focused on the quality of their play rather than whom they are playing. I hoping coach Self is able to do that with this team.

eastcoasthawk 10 years, 10 months ago

This could be as much of a trap game as Bucknell or Bradley. Plus we've seen that a team that could light up the three's can beat us. It negates our easy transition baskets on the run. And I agree with Keegan that we play much better with a chip on our shoulder. Problem is that with a 3 seed we won't be an underdog till the Sweet 16 or Elite 8. KUProud is absolutely correct about playing with the right mentality.

Carter Patterson 10 years, 10 months ago

tis4tim 10 years, 10 months ago

I seem to remember a #6 seeded team that had to go through K-State, Duke, and Oklahoma on the way to a championship in 1988...three teams that beat them in the regular season.

Despite the tone of this article, I would suggest if the team that beat Missouri and Oklahoma a couple weeks back comes to play in this tourney, a Final Four run isn't out of the question at all.

slowplay 10 years, 10 months ago

"For the few that don't understand the headline, please look up sarcasm in the dictionary."

That was an awfully weak attempt at sarcasm. Keegan is just not a good writer. I read him because I read everything about the Jayhawks, but he is better suited for Little League baseball. There has got to be somebody better out there who can cover the Jayhawks.

whitechocolate 10 years, 10 months ago

I don't even know if the Hawks will be able to fit this piece on the bulletin board. From a broad sampling of news sites and commentators, no one has really picked KU to do anything. Sports Illustrated named West Virginia over Kansas as the safest second-round upset and mentioned that even that could be in jeopardy if KU can't get by NDS.

I hope the shortage of respect keeps coming because after we finally got some good publicity, the team went lackluster.

RonBurgandy 10 years, 10 months ago

I think Keegan has a pretty good point. It's hard to know what to expect from this team, they could be down right awesome or fizzle pretty quick. I am worried about the first couple games, which KU SHOULD win, but they seem to have a problem getting up for the "lesser" opponents.

If KU plays like they did during most of the conference season, especially during the week of MU & OU, they could make the Final Four, however, I am not that optimistic. But a sweet sixteen finish would be just fine in my book, although a little disappointing since I don't like to EVER see us lose.

Rock Chalk!

nebraska_jayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Talk about not doing your homework when writing this article. Did you look at North Dakota's Mount Rushmore? The include Phil Jackson, the Lakers coach who is from Williston and Roger Maris. So please dont short change North Dakota and do some research next time.

kranny 10 years, 10 months ago

I think Keegan is on the money. If you think he's joking-look at the Texas Tech and Baylor losses. If the Hawks play with the same kind of energy as in those games against an inspired North Dakota State, our boys will be able to get plenty of studying time in for 2nd semester finals. Woodside can be another Voskuil if he's not guarded. Tough, tough regional for the Hawks. We're going to find out their mettle in the coming week.

Matt1958 10 years, 10 months ago

lhohman3. Mannnnnn, stop sugar coating your feelings. If you don't like Roy, just come out and say it! LOL!

Jaminrawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Hey now, Keegan. Leslie Bibb played Ricky Bobby's "smokin' hot wife" Carley in Talladega Nights. That counts for something.

Yeah, if you read all of the stories on the tourney or watch any of the analysts, KU is expected to get upset by everyone. Even if we get to the Sweet Sixteen, Michigan State is expected to pummel us. I was amazed at the gym full of North Dakota State fans yesterday . Easily the best watch party in the nation.

One thing I am sick of is everyone saying that Memphis is so great. To me, they are primed for an upset. It just makes me sick that they are seeded in the same bracket as MU. My two LEAST favorite teams in the nation might play each other to go to the Elite Eight. Ugh.

UNC is always gonna be loved by the media. They have incredible athletes, a rich tradition, a media darling coach and rabid fans. The only thing is, I don't see them being tough enough to win this thing. Hanbrough is a greta player when he is allowed to flop, go to the freethrow line and rebound. But we all saw what happened when Hansbrough gets roughed up by a good front court and Lawson is pestered (KU vs. UNC 2008, anyone?). I don't see a return trip trip the final four because they will have to most likely go through LSU, Illinois or Gonzaga, and Syracuse or Oklahoma to get there. I think ALL of these teams match up well with UNC.

Plus, we all know Roy and the tournament. Hansbrough is LaFrentz 2.0.

Eliott Reeder 10 years, 10 months ago

Excellent point. Half of the NBA are ganja smokers, so maybe we should let our kids have a little toke now and then to get their heads right...

d_prowess 10 years, 10 months ago

I liked the article because I agree with Keegan, for some reason unless this team feels like it has something to prove, they don't come out with much fire. So I applaud him for writing an article that will hopefully fire up these Jayhawks!
And I can't think of any team that would actually say it likes to play the early game. This is a young team and I think an early start hurts us. Hopefully Self has a plan to get the team alert and ready that morning!

chicagoeddie 10 years, 10 months ago

anyone watch korea spank mexico in the world baseball classic last night? it was awesome, go korea!

Roger Tobias 10 years, 10 months ago

Having recently watched last year's game against North Carolina, it is easy to see that this year we are a one-hit wonder. It only works for Sherron to drive the lane if there are credible threats on the perimeter, or among the bigs. No surprise then when he gets blocked three times and intercepted once in the waning minutes against Baylor. When he leaves at the end of this season (risk of further injury means he must go for the NBA while he still has some value to them) we will be forced to become multi-dimensional again. It will take the cultivation of some Sashas and Darnells to complement our team of Tyshawn and Cole, if we have any hope of a return to the Final Four any time soon.

Jaminrawk 10 years, 10 months ago

I sincerely hope when the next issue of SI hits the stands, there is a lot of Carlina Blue on the cover. I'm getting sick of hearing how great they are again.

chanutejayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

I've been hopeful all year to see Griffin shut down Hansborough. If they both do their jobs, they should meet in the Elite 8

Brett Glover 10 years, 10 months ago

yeah I see the sarcasm in there but a little too over the top to me, I'm pretty sure that Sherron will do fine shooting the ball, in fact he'll do great because he understands that he could be playing his last game of the season.

100 10 years, 10 months ago

LAJayhawk,

Give lhohman a break. He's just trying to get the KU posters (like you) fired up about "something" besides this article.

No need to resort to Revenge of The Nerds style humor (calling a fellow KU fan a tool).

It sounds like you're in a Sorority house.

I usually like your posts LA Jayhawk, but I don't like seeing you become an Internet bully.

Rock Chalk, LA Jayhawk -- let's go take care of the Bison

jayhawkkav 10 years, 10 months ago

'Welk, host of the Lawrence Welk Show, the single most boring and depressing “entertainment” in TV history'

Well Keegan, this may be the most boring and depressing article in the history of journalism.

Chris Seferyn 10 years, 10 months ago

well unfortunately he put in print what everybody is thinking in Jayhawk nation. It's up to the team to surprise us like they did earlier in the season when they started playing like they thought they were good. Once people started saying they were good, they started playing like they stunk.

We'll know 4 minutes into this game whether they decided to take it serious and drill these D-2 boys from ND. Yeah they are all happy they moved to D-1 and got in the tourney but they have no business competing with us if we play right. We are bigger, stronger and faster and just need to show the effort we had against Mizzou in Lawrence. If they can do that without the Allen crowd up their behinds, then they can compete.

jchief40 10 years, 10 months ago

Great article. And however called lhohman3 a tool needs to come back to Earth. His comments on Roy etc were shared by me even when he was with KU. Never could win the big one.

Rock_Chalk_10 10 years, 10 months ago

Too say Kansas has " no chance" is a bold statement to make Keegan....I think id the right KU team shows up to play each game we have as good a shot as anyone to make it to the final for again....if the wrong team shows up yes I think it could be a second round exit for us

tdalry 10 years, 10 months ago

We lost to Michigan State and Arizona much earlier in the year. We're a different team now. This is not the toughest bracket, although Louisville is the best team in college basketball. Looking forward to Friday at 11:30

Scott Smetana 10 years, 10 months ago

RockChalk10... it's called Sarcasm or even Reverse Psychology. Read the article before you comment on the title.

We'll be fine against N. Dakota if we play defense like we can and rebound like we should. All you pessimists go away.

jaybate 10 years, 10 months ago

Dear Tom,

When the boys up at corporate say we need more click revenues, or this wonderful web site is gonna have to be cut back, I realize this is one of the stories you have to do. Its like when teams get down and dirty with KU, KU has to get down and grind it out to stay competitive. No one likes to have to write these kinds of stories, but I am personally glad you were man enough to write this one yourself, rather than pawn it off on one of the kids, or Mayer, or Woodling. I understand the economy sucks and everyone has to make ends meet. Let me suggest some other story headlines that you can default to whenever corporate puts the squeeze on.

Dean Makes Secret Offer for Self to Replace Roy

Joe Dooley Gets Ear Job, Switches Mousse, to Land Head Coaching Job

Danny Manning Discovered to Lead Double Life as Bounty Hunter

Nebraska Coach Glenn Saddler Discovered Not to Have MD Degree

Frank Martin Possessed by Aliens in Teens, Glare Comes from Another Planet

Top Secret Medical Experiment Adds 4 Inches to Mario Little's Legs

Campanile Structure Discovered to Be Ilumminati Symbol

Massive FEMA Continuity of Government Facility Discovered Beneath Allen Field House

Travis Releford's Consciousness Rumored Uploaded to Quantum Computer

I can come up with more if you need them to keep the lights on.

Best, jaybate

Lance Hobson 10 years, 10 months ago

1. Roy Williams' teams don't do well in big games, and that's not an issue of getting over him leaving, just an observation.
  2. UNC got a great draw - their 4-see is Gonzaga.
  3. KU is in bad shape in this bracket, WVU's only losses were close games to great teams.
  4. KU is looking way too relaxed this time of year.
  5. Another killer B team. Just what we need...
  6. I like Keegan's contribution of bulletin board material. The Hawks need all the help they can get.

Scott Smetana 10 years, 10 months ago

Jaybate, that's the best post you've had it awhile.
Strikeso... you're always the pessimist. Last year you dissed our team hard before the tourney also. I'm all for 'constructive criticism' but you're just a Debbie Downer.

Lance Hobson 10 years, 10 months ago

PIkesPeak,

You always say that but I'm still not convinced I made those comments after the OSU loss last year. Even if I did, the team had their famous meeting after that loss because they clearly had the same concerns I had.

We all do what we can to help the Hawks win, and my pessimism has proved to be a successful formula. Look at the glowing comments I had before the Bradley game...

PapaHawk 10 years, 10 months ago

lhohman3

Here's Roy Willilams' history in the NCAA tournament in 20 years.

1 National Title 2 National Runner-ups 6 Final Fours (including the 2 categories listed above) 2 Elite Eights 4 Sweet 16s

With NC 1 National Title 2 Final Fours 1 Elite Eight 2 2nd Rounds (One was his first year at NC)

Now I'll give you that going out in the 2nd round seven times is surprising, but the man can coach. I think the so-called experts are also looking at a team that returns every important contributor from a Final Four team last year (granted that Lawson may not be 100%) and this is why NC is predicted to go so far.

By comparison, here's what Coach K has done at Duke in 28 years.

3 National Titles 3 National Runner-ups 9 Final Fours (including the 2 categories listed above) 1 Elite Eight 6 Sweet 16s 5 2nd Rounds 2 1st Rounds

Williams has never lost in the 1st round, while Coach K has done so twice.

FYI

Eurekahwk 10 years, 10 months ago

A lot of people never thought our guys would even be Big XII championship caliber, and they surprised us all. This team has surpassed my expectations. Its hard to say what they are going to do in this tourney. But for a columnist that writes for our own paper to come out with headlines like that is just idiotic. This is why the east coast teams have better fanfare. There is a lot more press covering them, and all they do is slob all over them about how good they all are. With the limited coverage we get, I have to see headlines about how we have no chance. With guys like Keegan and Bob Lutz of Wichita covering us, its no wonder everyone's impression is that we are a second rate ball club. I expect an article like this from the Columbia Tribune, not the Lawrence Journal World. Could we get knocked out in the first round? Absolutely. But so could anyone else. We have just as good a chance as anyone to make it to the Final Four in this year of mediocrity.

F#ck you Keegan, you should go back to the east coast. Its obvious that you and your back east fellow writers will never understand the midwestern mentality. Basketball didn't begin at Madison Square Garden or with the Duke-UNC rivalry. The game was cultivated on the great plains of Kansas. Go out and visit James Naismith's gravesite sometime. I bet you've never even done that.

farnamjayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Nebraska Jayhawk... A quick geography lesson (Which Nebraska schools don't offer) Mount Rushmore is in South Dakota not North.

More importantly... Rock Chalk Jayhawk Go KU!!!!!!!

We will prevail

Max Ledom 10 years, 10 months ago

READ THIS!!!!!!!!

Everyone here shut up. This is absolutely ridiculous. Why when we beat Mizzou, Oklahoma, K- State everyone thought we were great. That we could make it to another Final Four. Then we lose a couple games and everyone freaks out? Saying have fun getting past the first round? This is the University of Kansas. We have so much tradition, so much honor and pride. How could we ever be counted out? Even by our own fans? As a Jayhawk a true loyal Jayhawk. I see nothing that can stop us. Because of that name on the front of our jersey. Nothing can stand in our way.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Sincerely,

Hawksboy88

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 10 months ago

lhohman3..let it go. Calling Roy the 'worst big-game coach of all-time' doesn't help make your point.

Lance Hobson 10 years, 10 months ago

Roy has had several close calls in the first round, so I wouldn't say that he is better than coach K just because Duke has lost twice in the first round in 28 years.

I'm glad somebody finally pointed out where Mt Rushmore is.

Greg Lux 10 years, 10 months ago

Jaybate Quote: "Lew Perkins Poses for Hustler"

Front or Back Cover??

Now there's a magazine killer photo !! lol

We love ya Lew but that's not something I want to see ...

Simonhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Roy won't win a championship again until Matt Doherty recruits for him. He had enough talent on that team that even he couldn't screw that up.

Brian Conrad 10 years, 10 months ago

Keeg is a slob.... any news on recruiting? any chance on Lance or Wall? any bite on 2010 class?

KirkwoodHawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Oh, I see that someone already pointed out that Mt. Rushmore is in S.Dakota, which by the way, is from where Jeff Boshee was recruited.

jaybate 10 years, 10 months ago

"The only thing in North Dakota is North Dakota." --Black Elk, medicine man and resident of Black Hills, South Dakota (from "Black Elk Speaks Again" the little known sequel to "Black Elk Speaks")

88_Yell_Leader 10 years, 10 months ago

Great headline. This team, including Sherron & Cole - especially Sherron & Cole, clearly has a Dr. Jekyl & Mr. Hyde split personality. When these guys play with a chip on their shoulders because they don't get respect (which they have NOT yet earned in the eyes of any objective observer), they play well with occasional flashes of brilliance (aka Dr. Jekyl). They're not last year's team, and not even close. But good nonetheless. However, when this team's players - especially Sherron & Cole, who are supposed to be leaders every game - feel 'deserving' or 'entitled' since we're Kansas and/or defending champs and/or they think lesser schools should lay down & roll over (I get the sense sometimes they literally feel that way), nearly ANYONE can beat us. That includes NDSU if Mr. Hyde shows up. In fact, KU is rated as the most likely top 3 seed to be upset: http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=528009

Our young team has the potential to beat anyone in the field this year on any given night. But potential is meaningless - whether they win has NOTHING to do with talent or potential on this pressure-packed stage. It comes down to whether our guys can play with a quiet confidence and burning hunger for the respect that they can earn only by leaving everything they have - and I mean EVERYTHING - out on the court.

So, Keegan, thanks for doing your part to try to keep our boys focused on earning respect, and not thinking they already deserve it. They don't. Not yet anyway. Make us proud guys - you can do it.

chalmersisgod 10 years, 10 months ago

okay keegan, i understand that many people don't know those three celebs from north dakota, but if you google leslie bibb. everyone knows who she is considering she's one of the finest actresses out there right now. she was in a huge movie called talladega nights: the ballet of ricky bobby. leslie bibb is hot as heck.

Trey Hohman 10 years, 10 months ago

LAJayhawk, Yep. I probably am a huge tool. Great word btw. and I, like you, really miss the 80's too...BTW. I actually live in LA and I am assuming you do as well, since you go by the name of LA Jayhawk? Anyway, maybe I'll run into you at a KU watch party sometime in LA & we can just both mellow out a bit over a Coors or game of Beer-pong...?

Some of the people think I'm saying that I have a gigantic problem with Roy. Not really, or at least that wasn't completely my point..Other than the fact that I do find him to be a mostly fake peron, (eg. "I don't give a sh^*t about North Carolina") so sue me in the world court, I guess..And btw, I love Coach Self & wake up every morning feeling lucky Carolina gave Roy another shot at the head coaching position.....But my big problems is with ESPN & their experts who all are picking Roy's team unanimously, given the fact that he can never win the biggest game of the year (National Title Game) with a team's he's recruited on his own...He can get close, of course and he is a great coach, of course, but 6 games in a row I long-ago realized is an impossible task for him unless Matt D. finds the horses for him...It just amazes me that everyone is picking them instead of some other great teams with better coaches like Louisville or Pitt or UConn or about 6 other teams...-- He's done a ton of great things as a coach, but winning a National title is so hard & the confidence everyone shows in his team this year, I simply find somewhat reminiscent of what they thought of his/our KU team in 1997...

Rick Arnoldy 10 years, 10 months ago

I hardly read Keegan anymore. When I do, like with this article, I'm reminded why it's a waste of time.

RogersUmp 10 years, 10 months ago

I think the writer is trying to motivate the J'Hawks by his own description of what motivates the team. By saying they don't have a chance they will be more successful.

There are more famous people from ND. Maybe the writer also wanted readers to come up with the names to see if they really are famous.

Phil Jackson was a product of Williston High School in ND and they named the HS Sports Complex there after him.

Actress Angie Dickinson and singer Peggy Lee were born in ND.

Author Louie L'Amour grew up in ND.

jmkenny 10 years, 10 months ago

How soon we forget that Jeff Boschee came from North Dakota! (I remember because I'm a North Dakota native as well...) I'm kinda mad they drew the Bison in the first round because I wanted them to pull off and upset, and now I don't. Rock Chalk.