Sunday, March 15, 2009

Jayhawks fly high as No. 3 seed in Midwest

First NCAA opponent: N.D. State

The Jayhawk bench including, Tyrone Appleton, front, Sherron Collins, left, Tyrel Reed, Travis Releford, Quintrell Thomas, and Tyshawn Taylor, erupts after a late bucket by walk-on Matt Kleinmann against Nebraska, Saturday, Feb. 21, 2009 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Videos

KU gets No. 3 seed

video thumbnail

Complete coverage of Kansas' No. 3 seeding in the NCAA Tournament.

Audio clips

2009 KU Selection Sunday

For the Kansas Jayhawks, the Road to the Final Four leads 480 miles to the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome in Minneapolis, Minn.

And plenty of fans will be joining Bill Self’s defending national champions for the ride.

“Alumni always flock to wherever the team will be playing, and this year will be no different,” said Jennifer Sanner, senior vice president for the Kansas University Alumni Association. “It’s just wonderful to watch every year. It never gets old.”

The Jayhawks will take their 25-7 record into their 20th consecutive NCAA Tournament, extending a streak that has given fans plenty of reason to plan ahead early and often for postseason pilgrimages.

“This is what you live for,” said Jim Marchiony, an associate athletics director at KU. “This is what you play for. This is what you work in college athletics for. Postseason play in any sport is everybody’s goal.”

And given such postseason anticipation — and following on last year’s monumental success, with KU winning six consecutive games to secure the school’s third NCAA championship and fifth national title — getting tickets also proves to be something of a challenge.

Marchiony and his colleagues always satisfy the needs of the team — players, coaches, staffers and their families — before turning their attention to everybody else. Of the remaining tickets, KU students, faculty and staff will share 15 percent, while the remainder will go to members of the Williams Fund, the donor organization for Kansas Athletics Inc.

KU expects to have details of its ticket allotment by 8:30 a.m. today, when people can call the KU Ticket Office — 864-3141, or 1-800-34-HAWKS (1-800-344-2957) — to check on availability.

For those who can’t wait till 8:30 a.m., tickets are already available at the University of Minnesota’s Web site gophersports.com. An all-session ticket, which covers admittance for the four opening round games Friday and two games Sunday, costs $193. Single-session tickets will go on sale Thursday at a cost of $71.

A Minnesota athletic department official said Sunday that 12,000 tickets had already been sold for Friday’s games in the Metrodome, which seats 32,000 for basketball.

“The great thing about Kansas basketball is the passion of the fans, and they love to travel to support their team,” said Marchiony, who noted that information about potential travel packages would be available throughout the tournament at KUAthletics.com.

For fans making the trip to the first-round site, the KU Alumni Association promises to be there with all the usual materials: stickers, beads and other accessories to outfit the KU faithful. Pep rallies also will be organized leading up to the first of what leaders hope will be six consecutive games.

Just like last year.

“The Big 12 (regular season) championship gives folks a lot of optimism,” said Sanner, a 1981 KU grad. “There’s always the notion that anything can happen in the tournament.”

Comments

Ben Kane 10 years, 10 months ago

we better beat WVU...my boss is a huge WVU fan...I see an office showdown in the future

Ben Kane 10 years, 10 months ago

of course we have to take care of ND State first!

lance1jhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Damn... I hope nobody takes North Dakota St. lightly. This team is on a mission to prove that they belong in D1. I also do not like the fact that if we beat NDSU that we will most likely have to play a Bobby Huggins team.

cwag 10 years, 10 months ago

NDS get a home game - we better take care of business.

Gavin Fritton 10 years, 10 months ago

Bison?! Does that make them a "B" school?

BCRavenJHawkfan 10 years, 10 months ago

Wow. There will be a lot of ND fans in Minneapolis. Our guys will have bullseyes on their backs. A physical bracket. I like the respect given to us as defending national champions.

Kyle Helmer 10 years, 10 months ago

This is a NIGHTMARE for the Jayhawks! This was the one team I was hoping they would not play. They should be an 11 or 12 seed. They shoot 45% from 3 point range, we can't guard the perimeter, and it's a home game for them. Sorry to be negative, but this has one and done all over it.

Brian Powell 10 years, 10 months ago

Well, I think our guys have a chip on their shoulder too, now, after their last two losses.

Beak 'em , hawks!

Brian Powell 10 years, 10 months ago

ps- If nothing else happens, I hope we get a rematch with MSU... and blow them out!

Chris Seferyn 10 years, 10 months ago

Yeah this is not a good bracket for us. I'm not worried about North Dakota State. First time entrants don't do very well at all. This is their best chance it being a veritable home game and their fans will get all fired up. They won't roll over but we should outlast them. West Virginia though is a different story. We're in big trouble against that squad...

Let's see what the team can come up with.

cklarock 10 years, 10 months ago

I would love to see a KU MSU rematch! And if we got to stomp another mudhole in Thuggins on the way, all the sweeter!

But first, put the Bisons through the shredder!

Rock Chalk! (Is it Friday yet?)

(How about now?)

Jeffery Barrett 10 years, 10 months ago

Definitely agree, retiredickiev. Hawks have the toughest draw of any high seed in the dance. WVU is a good, physical team.

stravinsky 10 years, 10 months ago

hmm, if we make it to the sweet 16, we may get a rematch with michigan state... that could be fun.

ObiWan 10 years, 10 months ago

That 2 seed Oklahoma got was ours for the taking and we blew it. It's gonna be very difficult to survive the first weekend. At our best we're capable of beating anyone, though!

kchawker 10 years, 10 months ago

I agree. Oklahoma didnt win any titles. If anyone went to kc it should of been mizzou or us.

Seth Peattie 10 years, 10 months ago

we'll be fine. we've got the best coach in America, the best point guard in America and a future lottery pick in the middle. NDSU is a good team but they're not Kansas. WVU? Bob Huggins. We'll be fine...

Ben Kane 10 years, 10 months ago

I liked seeing Sherron in their live broadcast of us when we got announced...he was the last one to clap and barely did so.. He looks determined...getting in isn't very exciting for him, he just wants to win..

ND state may not be a blow but I think we will win...WVU could be a nightmare for us if we don't show up.

After that it doesn't matter...One game at a time, play whoever it is, and just win baby!

LondonPhog 10 years, 10 months ago

this looks like a tough draw to me. pomeroy has north dakota state ranked 71st, west virginia ranked 8th (!), and michigan state ranked 13th. for comparison, pomeroy has KU pegged at 11th.

for the curious: http://kenpom.com/rate.php

drtommy 10 years, 10 months ago

I think the lost to Baylor gets us to the Sweet 16. Bill "should" have their attention now. As with most young teams they tend to play better against better compitition. I look forward to the keeper of the Holy Grail's analysis. Jaybate try to keep it to 10 pages or less.

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

I like the bracket. I think KU will repsond to the physical teams they may meet. Bring the heat!! Go Hawks

Chris Shaw 10 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, I'm also with some of the other posters. I don't like North Dakota State at all. They have played some good quality opponents in USC and Minnesota this year. I would put them in a class of Siena. Even when they were Division II they were playing Florida, K-State, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa State very tough. I hope we don't sleep on these guys. You can expect a zone from these guys so I hope Baylor was a good prep game to prepare for that. I hope this is a game where Bill Self decides to run a little more. That's where we've gotten in trouble in the past against a Bradley and Bucknell types. We had superior athletes but played to their tempo.

Further, I don't like either Dayton or West Virginia. I could actually see the flyers winning that game and I'm actually picking them to make it to the second round. If and that's a big "IF" KU can get to the sweet 16 and Mich State makes itt there, I actually like the fact KU has a second shot at them. That is the only thing I like about this bracket. USC and Boston College are both going to be tough on Mich State. Ouch! Tough Bracket! I actually like Missouri's bracket better. Once again, UNC was rewarded with the easiest path.

SteveWoodbury 10 years, 10 months ago

Twin Cities Jayhawks - anyone have tickets to the Minneapolis games they want to share?

DDSF 10 years, 10 months ago

NDSU is only 240 miles from the Metrodome where as KU is 420. How does that happen? I know KU is the higher seed and we should take care of business, but come on.

I also think that the curse of the "B" schools is kind of ridiculous (although entirely true), and will hopefully only apply to schools with double "B's". Bradley Braves, Bucknell Bison, Baylor Bears.

The Midwest is the hardest bracket in my mind. Ever team seeded in the top 6 has a shot at the final four.

Bill Shaw 10 years, 10 months ago

NDS as a team shoots .412 from 3P. KU only .380 NDS will play zone.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 10 months ago

ddsf: I wouldn't count out USC or Boston College

Scott Oswalt 10 years, 10 months ago

Ben Woodside is apparently amazing. He scored 60 points early this season. A lot of their players are from Minnesota. I hope we come to play. You know Aldrich will.

Jeffery Stadler 10 years, 10 months ago

I went through a quick bracket picking first impressions. The entire tournament is brutal especially with inconsistancy of top seeds in the last week. IF we can focus on the task at hand the first 2 games we are in the sweet sixteen. Everthing else after that is gravy. We are young and prone to come out flat and have to win late or crush someone early then fight them off at the end. WV and MSU have played a tough schedule, have experienced coaches ( I hate Thuggins) and would love the pleasure of bumping the defending champ. We could easily not make it out of the first weekend or make the Final Four with our talent. ESPN gurus are giving us very little love. Sounds like bulletin board material to me. FOCUS 'HAWKS and you can do great things.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 10 months ago

Dwight Howard likes the Jayhawks! Wooohoooooo! Just think if he was in a KU unifrom! LOL! WOW!

Chris Shaw 10 years, 10 months ago

Finally, All of us KU fans and even the players should really enjoy this time. Most of us, not all, have not been alive long enough to enjoy the feat of actually trying to "Defend the Title". It's pretty cool that I can actually witness this process since we were cheated out of it in 1989. Should be pretty cool and it should be an honor for the players. It should also be a tool to help motivate them as well. Should be fun.

100 10 years, 10 months ago

Great picture for this article. KU players need to look at this picture before every game...

This...

Is what it's all about...

agraves 10 years, 10 months ago

I think the first game will be very crucial to how we play the rest of the tourney...if we play how we played against mizzou (2nd time)/tennessee we could be elite 8 bound but if we play like we played against UMASS/Baylor...we will be begin to start posting and reading stories about football next year...

here's to hoping sherron and company get outta this funk and go on a 6 game terror and shock the entire nation (including myself). we are capable of cutting down the nets in detroit or going home empty handed. I think HCBS has got these guys focused and ready to play but the first game will be the true test to see which team is going to show up in minneapolis!!!

Break4me 10 years, 10 months ago

I'm a military spouse in Minot, ND. Sooo this week is going to be very interesting for me, As a KU grad, I can't wait to rub in a KU victory this week!! I ( and my 4 kids) will be wearing our Jayhawk gear on game day, while attending a ND homeschool conference. I already told my bag boys at the grocery store yesterday that I'm from the land of GREAT B-ball, and it's nice that NDSU will be going, but they can't expect to go far. I guess it's a chance for me to back up that statement.

Dan Pawlowski 10 years, 10 months ago

khelm9,

I can only assume you ancestors did not accompany Louis and Clark, They would have turned around 10 miles down the road.

rawkhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

It's gonna be a tough road. Hopefully this gets the team fired up, like the picture. While I'm weary of West Virginia and excited for a potential rematch with Michigan State, KU needs to focus on ND State. I hope the 'Hawks are able to dictate the pace of the game by playing good defense to create transition baskets. Rock Chalk!

Kyle Helmer 10 years, 10 months ago

Boulderhawk,

I'm just being realistic. Believe me, nobody wants the Hawks to win more than me. I just know for a fact this is not a team we match up well with. If we play like we are capable of, we will win, but we have only done that one half of basketball out of the last six we have played. Hopefully Bill will have the boys full attention this week.

Tim Orel 10 years, 10 months ago

I am doing what I can to help - I removed the desktop wallpaper of the John Brown picture from my computer (put up after Missouri, and we know how lousy KU did after that) and I'm also not going to be wearing any of my Jayhawk gear (I already avoid it on game day, but I wore a shirt on Wednesday before the Big 12 tourney and cost the Jayhawks the Baylor game). Sad, but true.

JayhawkBison 10 years, 10 months ago

Since I'm probably the only living season ticket holder of both NDSU and KU basketball, this game has to be my worst nightmare! Having said that, KU might labor a bit but once they figure out that NDSU is limited inside, things should roll....but let me tell you, NDSU is smart (4 5th-year seniors as starters), shoots the lights out from beyond the arc, shoots free throws, and doesn't turn the ball over. There is a credible threat here! KU will need to do a better job against Winkelman, Nelson, and Woodside from deep than they did against Dunn, Jerrels, and Dugat. Mike Nelson, the 2 guard, is the lock-down guy who might try to guard Sherron and on the other side, Brady might draw the point, Ben Woodside. It will be fun for me to watch. But in the end, the Bison will have no answer for Mr. Aldrich. Maybe Bill will have the lads working on backscreen lobs this week! Go Jayhawks! (But take it easy on my Bison!....)

Chris Shaw 10 years, 10 months ago

good post jayhawkbison: Yeah, I don't like the fact either that your leading scorer has dropped 60 this year in a game. And how the hell did we end up playing another "Bison". Unbelieveable! LOL!

AtlantaHawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Gents...who believed we'd beat Roy's UNC squad last year? Who thought Cole would dominate Psycho T? Who thought we'd beat the thugs from Memphis? We owe this team our full support. Coach Self has proven that he can take KU to the next level! Refresher course?

Rock Chalk

JayhawkPurist 10 years, 10 months ago

Listen, let's all calm down a bit, putting our faith in Coach Self to get the squad ready for each challenge as it comes.

The real question is what Coach Self will wear if/when KU meets West Virginia in the second round. Huggy Bear will no doubt set the bar high.

JayhawkPurist 10 years, 10 months ago

On second thought, I'll answer my own question. Didn't Coach Self appear at a function during the offseason in full disco attire? Perfect.

10 years, 10 months ago

At the beginning of the season I thought a Sweet 16 appearance this year would be like making a Final Four, and after seeing our bracket that will be a tough challenge. We can do it though...GO JAYHAWKS!!

Mike Crosbie 10 years, 10 months ago

obiwan and kchawker, you guys hinted at one of my concerns about the brackets. OU at KC ???? If the NCAA wanted to sell tickets they should have put KU or fizzou in KC to gaurentee a sellout. Without them, I'm curious if it will sell out, if it doesn't it won't bode well for future games in KC which could be bad for us in the long run.

Yes we do have a hard road to go, but if the worst happens and KU ends up losing early, take solace in that Cole and Collins will probably be back next year.

namder 10 years, 10 months ago

If we can't beat North Dakota St. then we'd better put our tail between our legs and go home. After the first game every team you meet is going to have confidence and you have to be ready to beat anyboy. It's March!!!!! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!!!!!!

jhwkfanincali 10 years, 10 months ago

After viewing the bracket, I really think the Elite 8 is possible....we know the struggles of the first round game (especially against "B" teams, Bucknell, Bradley, Baylor in the Big 12)....IF (small word with a big meaning) we get past Fargo State, I see us making a run....I do not like the first game at all but hopefully playing against a team that is in their first year helps us....they,(Bison) have nothing to lose but the same could be said for all other low mid-major conference winners....hopefully my trip to Vegas won't be ruined with a first round exit...ROCK CHALK

OKJAYHAWK5 10 years, 10 months ago

When will the game times be announced??

Tony Bandle 10 years, 10 months ago

First Found Analysis: POSITIVES 1] KU is the better team. 2] KU has the better coach. 3] NCAA appearances - KU 25 out of 26 in the last quarter century, NDST 1 out of 26 4] KU has not lost two consecutive games yet this year. 5] Eight days rest will allow team to heal and be motivated. 6] First name of school starts with "N" 7] KU will be stoked for game. 8] 3 Elite Eights and beyond in last 5 years 9] 4 players with NCAA experience 10] Good Sherron shows up to play

First Round Analysis:NEGATIVES: 1] KU has lost at least three games to teams they were superior to. 2] Any Coach can have a bad game. 3] NDST First Appearance - may be too inexperienced to be nervous. 4] There's always a first time to lose two in a row. 5] Eight days rest will leave Jayhawks out of sync and TO prone. 6] Nickname of school begins with "B" 7] KU will be looking past Bisons 8] Lost in the first round 2 times in the last 5 years. 9] 7 players with no NCAA experience 10] Bad Sherron shows up to play.

I think KU should and will win, even if we have to play these guys in the parking lot of Target's Corporate Headquarters....still.........over-confident I am not!!!

UncleMiltyN 10 years, 10 months ago

Kansas is on the front of that jersey, son! We take all comers....

What a bunch of whining! Can you imagine what's going through their minds?

They get their first tourney trip and they have to face the defending Champs in a city full of KU grads?

Aldrich is going to get a triple double and we'll see just how good their guards are against ours....Minnesota and SC beat them.

Greg Lux 10 years, 10 months ago

JayhawkBison .. Wow traveling to all those home and home games must be a nightmare :P. I must agree with you that on paper NDSU is a VERY good team and not to be taken lightly. Texas Tech should have been enough of a wake up call but I hope Baylor was for sure the face slap we needed. On paper it looks to be Cole's game to dominate and I am sure NDSU will pack it in on him knowing that also. I look for MM to have a big game inside (as long as he doesn't shot 10' baseline jumpers). Mario could also be a big factor in the high post. We have not used his short game talents of late and this could be the zone that he's been looking for to score a good number. Obviously if KU is going to be successful in the tournament we need Sherron to be more of a leader and less of a scorer. He has a tendency to loose sight of this teammates at crunch time and it hurts us more then helps. He can help greatly by penetrating and dishing out to Morningstar, Reed and Taylor then taking the ball to the hole and hoping to get a foul call for an off balance shot that has not been coming of late. KU is a very good team when we use all our assets. I hope we have learned our lesson now and I know if they play as a team they can win against any of the other 63 teams in the tournament.

Rock Chalk

rockchalkcubbies 10 years, 10 months ago

My roommate from MN has played against a lot of these guys. There are going to be a lot of NDSU supporters there since many of these players are from the area. They are going to be amped to not only be in the tournament but also be playing a team with Kansas across their chest. Not to say that the crowd will outnumber the Jayhawk faithful, but this team needs to come out and exceed NDSUs intensity from the start and never let them and the crowd in the game.

We need to walk around the regional with a chip on our shoulder and a little bit of swagger. Hopefully we can play well in the first round and carry over some confidence in a run to defending the national championship!

Milhawkee 10 years, 10 months ago

Wait, JayhawkBison, are you a season ticketholder CONCURRENTLY?

What was your reaction when you heard you are playing against yourself? I'm sure reporters are going to want to talk to you...

jhwkfanincali 10 years, 10 months ago

A homecoming for Cole....is that good or bad?....judging on past performances of "homecoming"(Depaul, UMass) do we get worried or excited? I truly believe Cole will accept this homecoming and go crazy the first two games at "home".....I can picture a Boschee sighting at the game...only the movie Fargo is bigger than him and that is debatable

bentleytiger 10 years, 10 months ago

You guys can thank Atlantahawk for this prediction. The (thugs from Memphis) comment was not called for, Super Classy. However, the GREAT KU will not see the second round. The first three seed to go will be you, and I think you all feel it anyway. KU has overachieved and you know your team can't win if Collins doesn't play well (no great). You only have one player with NCAA tournament experience, Aldridge didn't play enough, and you guys know from last year, experience is a must. Good luck however, and enjoy the Memphis vs Mizzou matchup, probably be the best team we will beat all year..lol It sucks the confidence some of you have in your Big 12 defending NC and all world champion Jayhawks..Oh and I know you won last year, I was there. Tell me my prediction is wrong...

optichawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Wow, I've skimmed some of these posts and I just hope NDSU Fan doesn't read this stuff and spread it all over their posts, if they have one. C'mon, relax. Doesn't anybody remember where Cole is from? Doesn't anyone understand their is a tremendous KU Alumni base in Minneapolis? The boys will be hungry to make up for the crappy game against Baylor and our bigs are much bigger than their bigs which equals rebounding advantage. Here's some facts about NDSU if you need 'em: Location = Fargo, ND (known for a movie, a similarity with Kansas). Enrollment is 11,600 (I think Wichita State is bigger). Main study is Agriculture (Silo Tech North?). There is about 20 feet of snow on the ground nearly always (made that up, but probably not far off). I'm just not too worried about NDSU unless they have about 5 Jeff Boshee's during those games when he was on fire. Agree with "cubbies" last statement.

jayhwkr77 10 years, 10 months ago

I dont want to hear anyone on here talking about the West Virginia game just yet. This team is way too young, inexperienced, and inconsistent to even look past north dakota state. I'm not saying we will lose, but we need to take this team one game at a time. No matter what happens in the tournament, this has been a very successful year and has made me respect Bill Self even more.

As for our bracket, I feel we were a little unfortunate with all of the talent in our region but I think it will be a great test heading into next year.

Let's hope we can at least get a few wins in the tournament. Rock Chalk.

jhwkfanincali 10 years, 10 months ago

bentleytiger---- "Aldridge" is spelled "Aldrich"....thought you would have known that as you saw the back of his jersey on our way to the championship when he DOMINATED Wacko T.....It is good that you ended your bogus talk with "I know you won last year, I was there" because that is what you are fixin to face......MEMPHIS will not win a championship...they are toooooo Kobe.....not a team, but individual...If it comes down to Misery and Memphis, I hope you enjoy losing to another team from the BIG 12....play in a real league and then pop off

JJHawq 10 years, 10 months ago

I've seen NDSU play twice this year - once in person and once on TV. Dangerous. Shouldn't be a problem - but if it is close down the stretch, they have a guard who will flat out take over.

not_important 10 years, 10 months ago

Sprint Center has been sold out for months. There was no incentive to send KU or MU there although they better hope the teams they put there will travel so the team allotments are full and empty seats aren't visible on TV. I'm speaking mostly of the OU fans. Ask permission from Coach Stoops to be let out of FB drooling for a weekend and come up to watch your team play. Don't wait for a possible regional round to hop on your own bandwagon. Teams like Cal, Clemson, Maryland, and Michigan have a small excuse due to distance, but OU is 5 hours away. They better be buying up all the loose ones on the street, ebay, craigslist, etc.

Even with a Big 12 tourney championship, the Tigers were still seeded below us and got sent to Boise. Let's hope they'll find another Tyus Edney moment up there again. Even still, if they meet Memphis in the Sweet 16, that is not a good matchup for them. A whole week for Calipari to prepare for a Mike Anderson system that he is very familiar with from his years at UAB is about the worst case scenario that they could have run into. Although there is a lot to be said about Memphis not having seen anything like the defense they are going to see from MU after sleepwalking through another C-USA schedule.

Now, we just hope that ND State doesn't change their name to Briarwood (closest B town I could find to Fargo) for the first round game. Even though we like to say that freshman aren't freshman this far into the season, this is still their first NCAA tournament game. It is just a different animal that these kids have to get used to so they can loosen up and play like the full-season veterans they are. If we can get to the Sweet 16, that would be incredible, not just because of what we lost off of last year's team, but for the development of these young kids for future years.

KEITHMILES05 10 years, 10 months ago

The stated time of "11:30pm" is incorrect.

It is 11:30 am.

KUSPORTS needs to correct this and issue an apology!

Tony Bandle 10 years, 10 months ago

BentleyTiger...how can a team win 30 games and NOT be a #1 seed??

I may be wrong but it appeared that Coach Cal and the Tigers looked pretty po'd when they were shown watching their number #2 seed announcement.

When you get to KC, go to Bryant's BBQ...the best anywhere, Memphis included.

PS Bentleytiger..your prediction was wrong. There, that was easy. Although I do agree the thugs reference was harsh. It takes two teams playing great to establish a classic. One made foul shot or a certain three pointer about 3" off would have made the entire difference. That's how slim the margin of victory truly was. To play you guys again in a rematch this year would be AWESOME!!!

Maybe we could bring a little media love from the Least Coast back to the Midwest.

JayhawkBison 10 years, 10 months ago

Milhawkee: I know it seems rather amazing but yes, I have season tickets to both KU and NDSU games. I grew up in Kansas, am a KU alumnus, and have lived in Fargo for 30 years....I try to make KU home games on weekends and try to see the Bison when I can during the week. But lest you think I am more of a Bison than a Jayhawk, you would be wrong! I was in SA last year and was in East Lansing and Tucson this year for the Jayhawk character-building sessions! This game is tough for me.....the NDSU kids are really great kids. Brett Winkelman was named Academic All-America Player of the Year. The seniors came to Fargo 5 years ago as freshman with only a promise that if they stuck out the D1 transition period as redshirt 5-year players, they would be eligible to play in the NCAA's in their 5th year. To play for 5 years with all their hopes and dreams floating up and through the hoop off of Ben Woodside's 10-footer at the buzzer last week was the true meaning of pressure! It's our "Hoosiers" up here! It really is the biggest thing to happen in North Dakota, basketball-wise, since Phil Jackson played for UND 40 years ago and Roy Williams trudged through the snow to see Jeff Boschee drain 3-pointers for Valley City High! As Pepper Rodgers used to say, even though the Hawks will move on, for me, it will be "like kissing my sister"....

bentleytiger 10 years, 10 months ago

Gee thanks, oakvillejhawk. And I've heard of Bryant's but I've got to stay true to corky's and Rendevous' wet ribs. I thought my comment would evoke some more CUSA bashing or comments about free throws. However, I'm somewhat speechless, which is unusual. Mmm, reverse psychology??? lol And I'm sure you guys will make it out of the first round, but you are young..

Hawkish4bigM 10 years, 10 months ago

Game one will be all about defense and mental toughness. It will not be a finesse for us. If we can wear them out early, even though the 3s main rain early, they will not continue. We MUST wear them out, especially their shooters. I hope we come out prepared cause NDS will be.

codybear 10 years, 10 months ago

One and Done for KU unless Collins get enough brains to feed other players for shots and not throw up his obligatory 30 air balls as it seems he has been doing in two or three of our last games. Hate to say it....really hate to say it but it appears mizzu will make us look bad in this big dance as they did in winning the b-12 tourney....time will tell. Maybe next year...no matter what we have had a wining season and we have a great team minus a couple of twins.

Tom Gillaspie 10 years, 10 months ago

bentleytiger: I guess you are saying if KU were to lose early this year it would somehow make-up for the fact that you lost to KU in the championship game last year? Or maybe it is just sour grapes. Anyway, last year is over. Kansas has anther national championship, you have none. We may exit early this year, we have a young team that I will admit has overachieved. However, if Memphis wins it all with the basketball culture they seem to believe in, I will be shocked and disappointed. The bottom line is -no team concept - no championship. Great one-and-dones don't translate to a great team. It would also help if you didn't play in conference US -no competition- A. You didn't deserve a number one seed. As far as ND state goes, we need to treat it like we belong there and they are a good early round tune-up. Yes, they have good players and experienced players but they haven't faced the competition that we have either. We need to go into this game with the attitude that we are going to drill them. Play to run them off the court, not play not-to-lose. Let it all loose and leave nothing on the court. We also need to remember - THIS IS THE ONLY GAME WE NEED TO THINK ABOUT.

jaybate 10 years, 10 months ago

OldKU,

Like Sherlock Holmes, you have cut right to the heart of the mystery of how it will go, unless our defense is not what it should be.

To all,

I have my swagger back. KU has its swagger back. North Dakota State meets its fate. KU plunges the dagger, 80-58!!

Milhawkee 10 years, 10 months ago

I think Davidson should have got in over Arizona.

bentleytiger 10 years, 10 months ago

Tomhawk, your logic is hard to understand. The 2008 team is just that, 2008's team. And a great team they were, guys knew there roles. There were 3 juniors a senior and one stud freshman. You should look at a few of KU players and judge them on the same selfish scale as you try to judge Memphis players. Here, guys buy into there roles, no player in the past four years has averaged over 16 points a game. And that's in games with mostly double digit wins. I'm sick of haters saying memphis is a selfish program, guys come here because they want to have fun, play in a great arena, and prepare themselves for future successes. Mmm, sounds alot like what Bill Self is trying to sell over there..I guess it makes you feel better to label kids that don't choose KU as selfish. Coaches build winners in different ways..

Justin LoBurgio 10 years, 10 months ago

The key now is this team only playing one game at a time (much like when we were hot in Big 12 play). Leave the looking ahead to us fans.

Having said that (and I know I am putting the cart in front of the horse here) let's look at this bracket:

IF we get by NDSU we have a winnable game against either Dayton or WVU, both solid teams. This second round game is the one that scares me the most. If we get past that, I firmly believe we will beat Sparty in Indy. We looked rattled in East Lansing until the second half. This team now knows they can play with MSU and we will have the revenge factor working for us. This will play out like the UNC game in the Final Four last year....nobody will expect us to win.

Beyond that, look for Wake to upset Louisville. Again, I think KU plays loose in the Eliete 8 because the east-coast-biased media will all pick Wake.

I may be dreaming, maybe this is why I have won only one bracket contest in the last 20 years.

Scott Oswalt 10 years, 10 months ago

bentleytiger- Memphis will lose to Maryland or Missouri. Memphis is a selfish program with a sleezy coach in an awful conference. Memphis Schmemphis.

KU-74 NDS-59

Justin LoBurgio 10 years, 10 months ago

No love for Memphis here.....but I hope they beat Mizzou back to the dark ages.

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 10 years, 10 months ago

nice name, Milhawkee. haha, i should've thought of that one......

Bill Skeet 10 years, 10 months ago

Kansas schooled Memphis in basketball in 2008. This year, when they come to KC, they can learn that we also have the best BBQ in the nation. Enjoy your stay Tiger fans!

Dan Pawlowski 10 years, 10 months ago

khelm9, Actually you are not being realistic. You are being negative. In fact you even said so yourself. "Sorry to be negative, but this has one and done all over it." With that last clause you can add defeatist to the mix. A realist would look at this team and say if they play to their potential they could get past the second round.
As for the rest of you superstitious folks. Up until now I presumed that most of the posts on here were by intelligent people. But after declaring you are avoiding wearing or displaying Jayhawk gear to avoid a curse , I have my doubts. I am pretty sure that if a survey were taken of the BBall team they would say that they do not lay awake at night hoping the fans aren't wearing their Jayhawk jammies. But if it makes you feel any better go ahead and keep your panties on. We won;t tell anyone.
I on the other hand I will be wearing my jayhawk gear , including the matching briefs!

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 10 months ago

Does anybody own a large bus that we could sponsor a trip to AFH for any Memphis fan while they're in KC? I defy any of them to step into that building and not have their mouths drop open and get a tingly feeling inside. Forget their shoulder-chip against KU, If they're truly basketball fans, the trip would be something they'd never forget.

Speaking of BBQ, however, being from Memphis, I find no redeeming competetion in KC. That's the only area that bentlytiger has an advantage, in my opinion. If the NCAA would ever bring KU to a regional in Memphis, Bryants, Gates, KC Masterpeice, etc, would pale by comparison to Corky's, G'town Commissary, Cozy Corner, Neely's, Leonards, etc.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 10 months ago

Forgot about Jack Stack in KC and OP. They're more like what we enjoy in Memphis.

There is a stigma about teams starting with Bs that KU plays. However, the three B's that are passions for me are Basketball, Barbeque, Brews!

Luke Kading 10 years, 10 months ago

JayhawkBison, I know exactly what you're going through! This sucks! I've lived in Fargo my whole life and I love the Bison, and I would have cheered for them against anybody but Kansas. I'm sure you know as well as I do that this is the BIGGEST game in NDSU history, and there will be tons of Bison fans in Minneapolis. I know both of these teams very well and I posted a little breakdown of the matchup on the article about NDSU's move to DI.

I got my tickets already and I will be cheering for Kansas, but it's gonna be really tough. Kansas better come ready to play and Kansas fans better come ready to cheer!

Rock Chalk!

Lance Hobson 10 years, 10 months ago

Hey, I just realized something. Huggins' teams usually choke in the tourney. He has a better chance of graduating a player than he does getting to the Final 4.

Of course, the only time he did make it to the Final 4 was in KU's bracket in '95. That's when we had teams with bad defense who couldn't play tough inside and UVa just bullied us.

I'm pulling for Memphis now that they're not in our bracket, I thought they should have been a #1 seed.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 10 months ago

jwliddell- I'd pay the 5.00 per person for any Memphis folks that want to pile onto that bus so they could experience stepping into AFH. It would be a nice excursion for anybody to see the birthplace of the game of basketball. especially those whining Tigers from U of M. Hey,I just realized that there are two U of M Tigers that are totally jealous of the Jayhawks - U. of Misery and U of Mempis!

BBQwise, you're right - KC isn't true bbq, from a southerner's standpoint. Texas is great at beef bbq. But, if you want pork, you really shouldn't need sauce which is what most people refer to as sweet bbq. If it's smoked right, no sauce is necessary. As I mentioned though, Jack Stack's is the best I found in KC. Zarda used to be good too.

Dan Pawlowski 10 years, 10 months ago

BBQ, How did we start talking BBQ. If it is not BasketBall Quotient then keep it off here. Besides, People like what they like. Just because you do not like KC BBQ does not mean it is not good BBQ. It just means that YOU don't like it. I have had BBQ from Tennessee, The Carolinas, Texas and KC. I prefer KC BBQ. The only one I did not like at all was Carolina BBQ. I have heard people all over this country say they Love KC BBQ and could I bring some back the next time. Does that mean they do not like other styles. No, It means they have had the KC before and want some more. ....Ok Now I am ranting about BBQ...