Kansas defeats UCLA, 77-76

• 8 p.m., Dec. 2, 2010
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Friday, December 3, 2010

Little’s free throw helps KU escape

Kansas forward Mario Little and the Jayhawks' bench look for a foul after a last-second attempt by Little for a shot against UCLA during the second half, Thursday, Dec. 2, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse. A foul was called on UCLA guard Malcolm Lee sending Little to the line in which he hit the game-winning free throw to grab a 77-76 win.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following KU's 77-76 victory over UCLA on Dec. 2, 2010.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

UCLA coach Ben Howland questions last-second call against his team

UCLA coach Ben Howland questions the last-second call against his team following KU's 77-76 victory over UCLA on Dec. 2, 2010.

Download podcast

Videos

KU vs. UCLA

video thumbnail

Mario Little hit a free throw with 0.7 seconds, giving the Kansas men's basketball team a 77-76 victory over UCLA on Thursday, Dec. 2, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Mario Little wasn’t shaking as he stepped to the foul stripe with a chance to win Thursday’s thriller against UCLA.

He was as calm as a fifth-year college senior could be.

“I knew I had two chances, so I wasn’t trippin’,” Little, Kansas University’s 6-foot-6 small forward from Chicago, said after his free throw with seventh-tenths of a second left busted a 76-all tie and propelled the Jayhawks a 77-76 victory — KU’s 64th straight win in Allen Fieldhouse.

“Sink the first one and let them deal with it,” he added with a smile.

He was told by coach Bill Self to miss the second of two tries.

Obliging, he bricked the second, the ball caroming to the Bruins, who had no time to set up a play to steal a key nonconference victory.

“I mean, it’s big free throws, but it’s what I do,” Little said. “I mean, my team needed me. I had to step up. I’m not a hero or anything like that. This is something I’m supposed to do.”

Yet the winning free throw — he was awarded two foul shots after getting “bumped” by Malcolm Lee while horsing up a shot just before the final buzzer — did feel perfect when it left his hand.

“I was on my tippy-toes and followed through. I mean, if you are a good shooter, you know when you are gonna make the shot,” Little said.

Being a fifth-year senior — he red-shirted last year — Little knew the situation called for a free-throw miss on the second try, with KU safely up one point.

“I already figured coach wanted me to miss it,” Little said, “but I looked over and asked coach Self, and he told me to go ahead and miss it. It’s not easy to do. I tried to throw something up there.”

Of course, just as big as Little’s free throw was his getting fouled in the first place.

Tyler Honeycutt, who exploded for 33 points — most against KU since Michael Beasley’s 39 on March 1, 2008 — stole the ball in the KU backcourt and drilled a three at :05, tying the score at 76.

KU rushed the ball upcourt, with Little ending up in the right spot at the right time.

“I saw Marcus pushing it,” Little said of Marcus Morris (16 points, six rebounds). “I was going to try to get a cleanup bucket or do something. He lost it. I saw it, tried to grab it and throw it up. The dude bumped into me a little bit, and I just threw it up. He (ref) called it.

“I think he did foul me. It was nothing crazy, but a little bit,” he added of the bump by Lee.

UCLA coach Ben Howland said it was a “disappointing” way for the game to end, especially after such a key three by Honeycutt.

But the game did end that way, providing Tyrel Reed with a sigh of relief. He was caught in the backcourt and committed the late turnover, though many fans thought Reed was fouled on his miscue.

“I should have called a timeout or threw it in our backcourt. I’m fortunate Mario hit the free throw at the end. It was a dumb play on my part,” Reed said.

Of course, KU would not have been in position to win had Reed not exploded for 15 points the first half and finished with a career-high 17.

“It was probably the only smart thing we did tonight,” KU coach Bill Self said of the final possession after Honeycutt’s trey. “Get the ball in quick and take it down the court. It’s what we talk about all the time. Don’t look for the timeout, get it in quick and put pressure on them.

“They outplayed us. It’s evident we were fortunate. Mario said he did get fouled at the end. Of course, if we made free throws (KU hit 16 of 30 to UCLA’s 14 of 22), it wouldn’t have come down to the last possession.”

Tyshawn Taylor was terrific with eight points in a key 13-2 run that turned a 64-60 deficit into a 73-66 lead at 2:52. Taylor finished with 17 points off 7-of-10 shooting.

“I think neither team played their best game,” Taylor said, “but it was one of those games two teams were going at it. Neither team played their best defensively, but that happens sometimes in games like this.

“We are a deep team, and we have guys that can do a lot of different things,” Taylor added of himself and Reed and others stepping up on a night the Morris twins had foul problems. “We showed that a little tonight, but we have to do more of that in upcoming games.”

Self will take the W.

“The crowd was great,” he said. “They won the game for us.”

KU will next meet Memphis in the Jimmy V. Classic at 6 p.m. Tuesday in New York.

Comments

martyks 3 years, 4 months ago

There are only a few reasons why Brady plays. Defense, passing, and court sense. Other than that, he's average... I mean, give the kid a break. He's only our best defender on the perimeter. That's all. And he's only our best passer. That's all. And he only has the best idea of what it takes to help his team score, defend, get the ball to the right player, etc. He's also a very decent shooter. He's out there because no one can consistently beat him out. Pure and simple. Don't fault him. Fault the others who you think are better because they do less with more.

martyks 3 years, 4 months ago

The classy thing to do? There would be an investigation. What would you do if Little made a free throw anyway? Suspend the kid for winning the game? How would you handle the fans if they thought you intentionally lost a chance at winning the game? I can understand the idea, but this isn't Preschool Sunday School. That was the dumbest idea I have ever read. So, Bill Self tells Little to miss... then the replay clearly shows that he was, indeed shooting, and was fouled. What then, Einstein? You can't even figure out the fact that reality is defined within the perception of a referee... even when all the refs had the assistance of videotape replay??? wow. The idea that Self tells Little to throw it away is mind boggling insane. I would predict that, within a decade, such an act would lead to the breakdown to society as we know it. Referees would no longer be relevant. Wins and losses would no longer be tracked. The National Champion would be determined by who was the nicest coach with the prettiest shoes. OMG, it's already happened. They're here already! They're here already!

FairgroveJayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Has there every been a player like Brady who gets as much board rat time without being the direct headline?

Self has more wins than any other coach has ever had at any other D1 school in his first seven years with that school in NCAA history. I'm going with who he has on the court.

ParisHawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Q: When can you not let a building fall down? A: - once it's built, and - while it's being built.

Right now, the part of our game that is the most "under construction" is post defense, so Self is going with known quantities at the other positions. When he integrates Selby, you can bet Reed / Brady will be out there to provide continuity and EJ will watch from afar.

If all four bigs were dependable and not so foul prone, then maybe Little would see some minutes at the 3 and he could start rebounding the way Rush did.

All in good time.

dsfsdfsddsfsdfs 3 years, 4 months ago

Dear friends, do you want to have some different things? Whether you want to give your relatives and friends, take a

few different exotic gifts? Whether you want to buy some cheap benefits of thing? So please, let us begin now!

Click on our website

(====== http://xrl.us/bh729m/ ==== )

Will bring you different surprise

====== http://xrl.us/bh729m/ ====

jordan air max oakland raiders $34–39;

Ed Hardy AF JUICY POLO Bikini $25;

Christan Audigier BIKINI JACKET $25;

coach chanel gucci LV handbags $36;

coogi DG edhardy gucci t-shirts $18;

====== http://xrl.us/bh729m/ =====

====== http://xrl.us/bh729m/ =====

====== http://xrl.us/bh729m/ =====

Jack Wilson 3 years, 4 months ago

jayhawktalk: If Brady is so good, why has he played so poorly against the two decent opponents we have faced? And why did he play so poorly last season? Look, Brady's decent. He does a few nice things .. a steal here and there, feeds the post pretty good. And he'll have a decent game every so often. But not starting .. for KU. 3rd guy off the bench, 10 - 12 minutes per game. Sure. But not 32 minutes. And watching Honeycutt work him over, it was obvious Brady was out of his league.

jayhawktalk 3 years, 4 months ago

Other than it is something new to talk about, not sure why the call vs. no call at the very end of the game is such an issue.

Some thoughts (good): - Taylor won us the game at the end. I have swung from hate to love with this kid, from last year to this one. He and Selby playing together is going to be something really special to watch, post 17 Dec. - Reed made some shots. Who'da thunk it? Seriously, great to see last night. Hopefully it was a confidence builder. I really want to see a local KS guy who has worked so hard all his life doing well. - Little is a great rebounder for his size. Definitely a nose for the ball. - TRob is an animal in the best possible way. - Despite all the hype, I'm still not sure Marcus Morris even realizes how good he is. Sans-hype and foul trouble, the same could be said for 'Kief. - Brady is much better than many KU fans realize, or are willing to acknowledge here.

Some thoughts (not so good): - At ~6'5", why is Little our best rebounder? Why!?! Mind boggling. - I am "loving" watching our 6'8"+ posts shoot fall away shots from 6 feet from the basket and in, this year. Both Williams (AZ) and Smith (UCLA) were reported as being prone to foul trouble coming into the games... We make the games much more interesting and fun to watch by avoiding contact, which could cause them to pick up fouls; this way they can stay in the game and make it exciting from start to finish while putting up career best performances against a "great" KU defense. - It is "exhilarating" watching TRob run the point on fast breaks. Great things are going to happen with him charging/dribbling full speed down the court with guards running on either side waiting for the ball to squirt out. - After some early success blocking shots against lesser opponents, I now "love" watching TRob matador a driving opponent while he stutter steps, watching them drive the lane while trying to time a block instead of stepping in front of them and stopping the penetration... Also totally forgetting where is man is, in the process. Even better, after the shot, he is now completely out of position to rebound. - Apparently denying a post the ball is no longer an accepted means of guarding. Better to play behind them, go for a block after allowing a bitty-ball-easy entry pass, even if it results in a foul 50+% of the time.

Free throws and officiating aside, we should have lost the game last night by 10 pts., which was a home game that should have easily been won by 10 - 20 pts. Please forgive the sarcasm... I love the team and the kids and am honestly excited for this year's prospects. Just venting a little. My wife got tired of hearing me complaining about it, so I decided to selfishly air my frustration elsewhere...

jayhawkinATL 3 years, 4 months ago

I think someone may have made a reference to this fact earlier:

All-time victories: KU 2010, UNC 2008

Second place now!!!

dynamitehawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Dang. Hack-a-Hawk strategy could be our downfall this year.

William Blake 3 years, 4 months ago

Last night showed us how much we miss Cole in the defensive paint. Same with the Arizona game. The twins and TRob can't replace the defense Cole gave us. This is a concern I have with this team and their potential for a big run.

They also need to guard better on the perimeter. Too many open shots because we aren't fighting hard enough through the screens or helping out with team defense.

We have limitations at the post for defense. The compensation will have to come from the perimeter. If our guards can tighten down on D by showing more intensity and cutting off the passing lanes they can help protect the post and, hopefully, slow down the fouls we are collecting on the twins and TRob.

We also have to get better play out of Jeff. He's got to develop into more of a Cole-style defender. I don't see that happening until he beefs up his body (including lower body). TRob also needs to strengthen his lower body to be more effective on the post.

I'm hoping Josh will become a good defender. We definitely need more pressure applied on the perimeter.

I bet Kieff is reconsidering his attitude he expressed earlier this year when he said he is happy to give away a foul to stop a basket and make them earn it at the line. That's a luxurious philosophy reserved to players who do not get in foul trouble. Both twins need to play a bit smarter and give up less fouls. I see a pattern developing where our opponents will attack the post to try to get us in foul trouble. The answer is for our guards to deny some of the easy feeds into the post as well as the twins (and TRob) not making the silly fouls. Our post players have to defend with aggression (and will pick up some fouls) but limit the silly fouls.

Bleed_Crimson_Blue 3 years, 4 months ago

For those of you who say you've NEVER seen a foul call to end the game, I give you this...

Rock Chalk!

chriz 3 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, KU was a little disappointing last night on several accounts, but on a brighter note, I think Tyshawn Taylor was fantastic. He made some mistakes, sure, but he also made some good passes and finished so well close to the rim. I think Self has done a great job with him and he'll be getting some love from NBA scouts soon. Hopefully not too soon.

tis4tim 3 years, 4 months ago

I suggested in an earlier post that our FT shooting seems to be bad year after year, and there's been some talk about it today, so I looked it up. Here's what I found:

2001-02: 623-867 (.719) 2002-03: 594-906 (.656) 2003-04: 525-743 (.707) 2004-05: 451-649 (.695) 2005-06: 451-671 (.672) 2006-07: 535-811 (.660) 2007-08: 598-852 (.702) 2008-09: 567-782 (.725) 2009-10: 609-871 (.699) 2010-11: 111-172 (.645)*

Total: 5064-7324 (.691)

Now, since this year has just begun, I'm going to concentrate on the previous nine seasons. In that time, we had 7152 FT attempts over the course of 320 total games. or an average of 22.35 attempts/game.

If you take our 69% overall FT average in those nine years that equates to 15.44 made FT per game.

The difference between makes and attempts is 6.91, which is the number of potential points per game we have left on the floor over the past nine years.

However, I was taught as a kid that 80% from the line should not be an unreasonable goal for any player. If we take 80% of 22.35 attempts it equals 17.88 makes per game. That means the difference between 80% shooting and 69% shooting over those same nine years is 2.44, which would be the number of potential points we generally leave on the floor per game if we adhere to the 80% FT shooting standard.

It should be noted that some of those missed FT over the years were probably front ends of a 1-and-1 situation, which means the potential for missed points is actually higher. How significantly I don't know and I don't have time to research that.

Someone feel free to check my math as it's never been my strongest suit, but I don't think 69% as a team over a decade is all too strong and has surely cost us some games if you take into account squeakers and close defeats besides the Syracuse loss, which is the poster child for what poor FT shooting can mean for your team. I'd say we've made it tougher on ourselves over the years than it had to be.

tauck 3 years, 4 months ago

it comes down to rebounding, we sucked last year even with cole and we have not improved at all. we may be the worst rebounding team in the united states. brady needs to be able to shoot the 3 just like tyrell or get him out and let releford get those important minutes. brady also needs to fight over the top of the pick with 8 seconds left especially with jump help coming, he took the easy way out and went behind...result 3 ball and the tie!!! brady, into the gym and get a thousand 3's up a day and get your confidence back, son at this present time nobody on ucla team even guarded you when you had the ball. great husle though but you gotta be able to shoot to play

BPSkelly 3 years, 4 months ago

We won. So there's that. Otherwise, I dont think we played all that well. I cant decide if thats because UCLA is better than advertised or we arent as good as advertised. Probably both.

We have (as have our guards) been SOOOO spoiled with Aldrich, Jackson, Kaun the past several years clogging up the lane and having the fear of getting your shots blocked very real for our opponents.

When you have a freak like Aldrich back there, the guards are 'funneling' ball handlers in there. When you dont have that, your simply getting blown by. Our on the ball "D" on the perimeter was horrible last night. Problem is, I dont see it getting a whole hell of a lot better. Again, we've been spoiled. Our defense has gone from 'unworldly great' the past several years to 'merely good' this year. I guess this is what other teams deal with all the time. I for one dont like it though.

One thing is apparent though. There are NOT only 3 other teams better than us in the country. How were 4th is beyond me. We're going to have to battle, scratch, and claw just to be the 4th best team in the Big 12. Obviously we're capable of that. Id even expect it to some degree. But our lack of defensive instincts (something either players have or dont) is lacking compared to years pasts. Ultimately, this will cost us.

Hank Cross 3 years, 4 months ago

In the rest of the BB world, getting lit up for 30+ = EPIC FAIL. Fouling on a 3pt shot - and letting the shooter get off the shot and make it, is a big defensive mistake. Letting your man repeatedly drive past you is not the hallmark of a "stopper." Yet, Brady does those things and his praises sung by many, including Self.

If Self thinks that Brady put out the best defensive effort; logically that would mean that everyone else did a worse job on their man, each of whom probably had career games. The 2nd highest Bruin scorer was Smith with 17 and only one other uclan scored in double figures, so Self's statement is absurd on its face.

Sadly, this appears to be Self's MO. Don't play to win, play not to lose. Emblematic of this approach is the continual playing of Brady. He makes Turgeon (as a player) look like Hinrich or Vaughn. Turgeon actually put the ball on the floor and tried to make something, the same cannot be said of Brady. Nonetheless, it appears Self views Brady as a mini-me (except Self could actually score IIRC) and will keep him in the starting line-up. Thus KU will play short-handed on offense whenever he's on the floor, and Travis's development will be slowed as he wonders why he didn't transfer if he was going to sit out a year anyway.

Krohnutz 3 years, 4 months ago

I've figured out what happened with our team last night, I found this in the medical dictionary, we need treatment asap:

"Collisonitis"

An inflamation of the arm that results in a heavy sensation, causing a sudden loss of the ability to shoot free throws; often occurs in moments when free throws could keep you in a game or put another team away.

Symptoms include missing multiple free throws consecutively... back-to-back-to-back-to-back; patients often suffer temporary hearing loss from repeated loud clangings, it has also been known to cause "WTF Face" in fans.

Rockchalk_Mom 3 years, 4 months ago

When the game was 73-76 and UCLA had the ball with just seconds left, why wouldn't you foul someone inside and let them shoot 2 making the score 75-76 and we'd get the ball back? Instead, Honeycutt shoots a 3 to tie it. The game came out right, and the right call was made on the foul, but the refs sure missed a lot of fouls in the game. And called at least 2 ghost fouls on Markieff when he never made contact with the guy.

Ralster Jayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Mario Little also got lucky that he got a shot at redemption: moments before he missed 2 point-blank "bunnies" right at the rim...would have been a glaring occurrence (like the McM charge) if we had lost. Ask Rush, Chalmers, etc about losing to UCLA in the '07 tourney: cant miss your gimme shots...

prairie_rattler 3 years, 4 months ago

That foul call is never made in the closing seconds... and I was shocked that is was here.

For perspective... if the refs didn't let the hacks on Sherron go on the final seconds of the 2008 championship game and had called a foul... we would have lost that game.

Robert Murphy 3 years, 4 months ago

When will players grow up and stop playing with their feet? They look like little kids. What was once kinda cut in grade school now looks childish.

SDJhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Howland can gripe about the foul call all he wants, but remember in the tournament in 2007 how his guys hacked and slapped their way to a victory over KU and a Final Four berth. He teaches this "defense" and now it comes back to bite him when the ref makes the call. I also recall (going old school now) another tournament loss to UCLA when Mark Randall was pushed in the back, the foul was not called, and UCLA got the game clinching rebound to advance. A horrible non-call that on replay was so clearly a foul, a two-hand shove in the back. The point is, what comes around goes around, and we should have absolutely no sympathy for UCLA. Having said that, KU needs to work on perimeter defense, free throw shooting, finishing around the rim, and adjusting defensively when someone is having a career night against them. How about double-teaming AZ's Williams or Honeycutt last night, or employing some other defensive strategy rather than just watch them go off.

Jacobpaul81 3 years, 4 months ago

Now everyone knows why I've been talking about our guards and offensive rebounding for 2 weeks. We got killed on the glass. Brady upped his total to 2. Tyrel and Tyshawn are still at 0. We were 10 for 27 on 50-50 balls last night... and 4 of those were Mario. Mario may have missed 6 shots... but he at least made up for it with 8 rebounds... he out-rebounded all the other guards on the team... combined. Without Mario's 4, the team was 22% on recovering 50-50 balls on the offensive end. That is poor, and it starts with the guards. It was nice to see Tyrel and Tyshawn hitting shots... but we will not go far if they don't start chasing down offensive boards.

2Bnamedlater 3 years, 4 months ago

UCLA out hustles KU almost the whole game. It seemed they got to all the lose balls and they got a ton of offensive rebs. It seemd that KU didn't box thier guys out, there were a few times a fuy would just walk down the lane after a shot was put up andget a reb and get an easy layup. You would think with KUs quickness that they would not be getting beat to the ball, anywhere on the court.

I will say that Mario's hustle paid off for a KU win.

But as almost everyone else has said, make some free thorws. That was a pthetic showing form the line. How many front ends did KU miss last night? When you miss the front end of a one and one, that basically cost your team 2 pts, not just one.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 4 months ago

Quick Hits -- I put this on another thread: 1. Tyshawn came up big. He let it come to him in the 2nd half. This guy has made the biggest leap; can't wait to see he and Selby slicing and dicing. 2. Brady's defense was horrible. No other way to slice it. Would have rather seen a bigger, faster, stronger Releford on Honycutt. 3. This game was all about poor free throw shooting and Howland getting the best of Self with his defensive scheme. How many three point looks did we get in the 2nd half? And on offense, UCLA got multiple open looks inside. Tip your cap to Howland on this one. 4. Back to Brady .. this is what I have meant (and others have pointed out). When others are playing subpar, we need another option. And I'm sorry, the guy isn't that good against stout competition. He sure can kick Ohio's butt, though, and Valpo wants no piece of him. He played 32 freaking minutes?? Unbelievable. 5. Refereeing was horrible. Atrocious 5th foul call on Kieff. And horrible call at the buzzer. You call the buzzer foul on something clear that stops a legit shot. That was b.s. Hate to win that way. But a lot of touch fouls called all game. 6. Have you noticed how well the Morrises control their emotions vs. their freshman year? Impressive. 7. Notice how cool Self was this game? Wonder why? 8. Mario playing so much was puzzling. Slow on D. Again, Releford . Releford played 10 minutes? Makes little sense. Everything about how Releford had played demonstrated he deserved 20+ minutes. 9. Some have referenced the Morrises not dunking enough. This was a game where their inability to flush the finish inside led to missed opportunities. 10. Withey .. can you please run down the court. Sprint please. 11. We'll be fine .. we just had a poor game. We'll get a decent idea of what this team is made of Monday night. Any more worries about Selby harming chemistry? Didn't think so.

Also, I would agree with ict .. last night was a prime opportunity for EJ to shine. He didn't. And his defense was poor last night.

Jayhawk444 3 years, 4 months ago

Remember HCBS scolded all of the bigs for taking mid-range jumpers and not driving more like AZ's Williams. I could tell McM, MkM, and TRob were trying to drive more last night and it got into their heads. They over compensated maybe. Especially Marcus. I think it hurt us quite a bit in the first half, actually. But that will get better as it becomes more natural and they learn when they shouldn't force it

Tony Bandle 3 years, 4 months ago

Observations: 1] UCLA is a lot better than I expected...or we're a lot worse. 2] On this night, our bigs had their heads somewhere else, Elijah and Travis were non-factors and Tyrel, Brady, Tyshawn and Mario saved the day. 3] Anyone who still believes that Josh Selby shouldn't start the second he becomes eligible should be spanked. 4] When did picking up items on the scorers table and throwing them into the crowd, not become a technical foul?? 5] Coach, Little got hammered by two guys....get mad at your players, not the refs. 6] Please explain to Brady that with seven seconds left and up by three you don't back off a three point shooter who is having a career night. 7] Somehow Kansas overcame the worst combination of foul shooting and three/four point plays allowed I have ever seen and still won. 8] Sometimes it's just better to be lucky than good!!!

crestdr 3 years, 4 months ago

It was very frustrating watching Marcus brick fadeaway after fadeaway. Back your man down and take it to the hole.

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 4 months ago

Well, it was a win but, I wasn't impressed by KU. I looked for a least a 15 point spread at the end, especially on your own floor. This was the first game I got to see, KU was lucky tonight. If the game would have gone into overtime, I don't think KU would have won. We are way, way overrated and UCLA is underrated in my opinion. Free throws, free throws, really cost us big time and if they don't get that corrected I don't look for a very good year. Someone earlier said that what, 16-30 free throws. Offensive rebounds, guys, get the offensive rebounds for put backs. Looks like we are light for the big man, Smith really had his way down low and we couldn't stop him even with double team. There will be more like Smith. Watching KU last night just made Kansas ST. and Misssouri look pretty good.

Kye Clark 3 years, 4 months ago

These were some of my comments after the Arizona game, regarding things we learned about this team after playing one game against a quality opponent:

• The Twins have to learn to play defense and stay out of foul trouble.

• KU's superior perimeter defense may have been a bit misleading as Arizona shot the ball fairly decent and was regularly getting open looks.

• Rebounding is an obvious area that needs improvement.

All three of those points reared their ugly heads last night and almost brought KU's home court winning streak to a screeching halt. Some additional musings following last night's game (and not related to the officiating, a subject that has been discussed to the point of exhaustion).

• EJ does not appear ready to help the team this year. After he had a break-out game against one of our cupcake opponents I conceded to the EJ supporters that I may have been wrong and he may be ready to take the next step. After seeing him in 2 games against quality opponents...clearly not. His defense was awful - the worst of many bad perimeter defenders last night, and in the half-court offense he brings nothing to the team that we can't get from anyone else.

• Bill Self is on record as saying Travis - with his speed, length, and athleticism - needs to evolve into a lock-down defender. We might be waiting awhile to see that. He looked very soft trying to fight through screens last night, and even when not screened he routinely lost his man. I think Travis's minutes will continue to be limited until he develops into a better defender, as Self has already showed that he covets Mario Little's rebounding ability.

• Was great to see Reed get his shot falling again. He was lights out in the first half. But then...where did he go in the second? It was almost like as soon as he missed his first three point attempt he decided to quit while he was ahead. Him and Brady led the team in minutes played, and with Brady's limited offensive arsenal, it's got to be hard to run an offense with only 3 guys looking to score in the second half with both Tyrel and Brady in the game. Don't get me wrong, Brady's 3-3 from the field is nice and efficient, but at least one of those buckets came in transition. In a half-court game, he's not even a moderate threat to score.

• Tyshawn was clearly our best player, and his timely scoring was huge last night. One of the more pleasant surprises for me personally this year has been his play, as I was definitely one of his doubters coming into the season.

Anyway, hoping for a better effort against Memphis.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 4 months ago

Next big test without Selby-----Memphis Tigers! Practice the free throws----please! FT's could determine the Memphis game.

BCRavenJHawkfan 3 years, 4 months ago

How in the world was KU in this position to begin with? Similar with the Arizona game. It seems that suddenly since the blowout win before the Arizona game (a game that Self indicated was the worst showing by this team because we fell in love with the three ball) it has been decided to go slow and grind. No one can argue that in both this game and the Arizona game that KU started hot hot hot from outside. Arizona it was Marcus, this game it was Reed. Then at the first time out these guys are chastised for raining threes as opposed to grinding and slogging. Even the first five minutes of this one KU was the one running and getting out on the break at will. But after the first time out it was as if Self passed out the Xanax. WTF.

tis4tim 3 years, 4 months ago

I'm glad we got the win, but I can't help but think that as long as this home win streak remains intact, the weight of maintaining it game in and game out is going to be like a millstone anchored around the necks of our boys. I'm certainly not advocating a loss to relieve that pressure, but they look like they are playing "heavy".

Nice games for Tyrel, Brady and TT. I was very impressed with those three last night. TT seemed to instinctively know when to get assertive in the second half and he was a big reason for the "W".

Like others have said, the free throw thing is very disconcerting. I don't know why our teams seem to be so abysmal from the line year in and year out.

A win we had to steal, but a win nonetheless.

Carter Patterson 3 years, 4 months ago

Just saw a headline on Mike and Mike...."UCLA Robbed at Kansas?"...please.

Ben McDaniel 3 years, 4 months ago

Is a Bill Self team ever going to be good at shooting free throws? The guys don't even have good form (some of them bend their knees but still don't actually use their legs -- they just bend them, unbend them, and then use their arms to throw the ball at the basket). I suppose the coaching staff must think it's better to let the guys use whatever form is comfortable. But our stats prove that's not the right approach for this team. Maybe if someone's a great free throw shooter, he shouldn't have to learn "correct" form, but the guys with low percentages (most of the guys) should change how they shoot them.

How long would it take to have them learn good form and practice shooting free throws? If it would take a lot of time, I suppose we're doing the right thing by focusing on other stuff -- after all, we're really good at everything else, and it wouldn't be a good idea to take practice time away from those other things. But I can't imagine learning to shoot free throws would take that much time. Besides, the shooting practice might make our already high field goal percentage even higher.

Ken Pomeroy's ratings haven't come out yet this morning. I wonder how far we will fall (yesterday we were #1 overall with the #2 offense, behind Duke, and #2 defense, behind Ohio State). We'll probably end up #2 overall, behind Duke (my guess is #4 offense and #4 defense).

Kye Clark 3 years, 4 months ago

Funny, KU made missing free throws look pretty easy all night! Good grief. On the year as a whole they have been below average, which is disappointing because they couldn't miss in their 2 exhibition games and I thought that would not be an area of concern this year.

lincase 3 years, 4 months ago

There was also a situation against Oklahoma State a few years ago. I believe Ryan Robertson hit a free throw to win the game with no time on the clock.

ku_foaf 3 years, 4 months ago

I remember a similar situation in 1987, I believe. It was Keith Harris that shot the free throws, and we won with less than 0.5 seconds left. I think we were playing St. Johns. It was a Big East school for sure. An All-American on the other team went up to Keith and taunted him about overtime before the shot.

Dyrk Dugan 3 years, 4 months ago

16-30 free throws is bad....but we did make four of five down the stretch (before Mario's intentional miss.)

FT shooting comes and goes....good grief, Tyshawn and Marcus were the main culprits...and they're better free throw shooters than that normally. when KU makes 22-26, i want to see everyone of you post about the outstanding free throwing, and praising the coach for the hard work in practice.

the bigger picture is, we have plenty of work to do on the real fundamentals...defense and rebounding. we got outboarded last night, and way too many good looks for them...dribble drives or pick and pops.

on the last three, Brady (who just earlier made a great steal, so kudos to him for that) went beneath the screener....and the UCLA kid was moving TOWARD him...it would have been much easier and smarter to go over the top, then he would have been instantly in Honeycutt's face. and the Reed gaffe, not good. he's smarter than that.

Smarter and tougher. we just have to get smarter and tougher. these are good games for us though....that game should have not been a win, so it says something good, that we pulled it out.

doolindalton 3 years, 4 months ago

Whether KU is coached by Roy Williams or Bill Self, I will never understand why there is so little emphasis on free throw shooting when it is obviously such an important aspect of the game. There is no way Division I basketball players should only make 50 percent of their free throws. Many of Self's players look like kids playing in their first tournament game when they walk to the line. No confidence. No rhythm to their shot. About half of them just throw it up there and hope it hits somewhere near the rim. Clang. It's awful. Little reminder, 2003 national championship game, Syracuse 81- KU 78, KU FT 12-30. Work on it!

soobawls 3 years, 4 months ago

This is one we deserved to lose. The question is what will the lesson from this be. Will it be the lesson last year's team learned from a host of close, unearned victories; that they can simply turn it on anytime they want? Or will the fact that they stumbled around completely confused on defense for most of the game and need to improve, a LOT. Will they start taking some kind of pride in getting rebounds or just learn to be happy being pushed around like grade school children under the basket in their own house? Do free throws matter or are we simply too good to worry about such minutiae? Lastly will Bill actually break out the clip board and do some teaching during the game or be content to let teams score against us using the same play 30 times a game? We now have two games in a row against average teams that have made us look very confused on defense.

jddehoff 3 years, 4 months ago

Where is the live game article ? Did they discontinue it or is it for the big 12 season only .Great win by the hawks but their going to have to play smarter and quit missing so many free throws or it's going to cost them some games .

yates33333 3 years, 4 months ago

Kudos to the referees. I have never understood the idea that they are not supposed to call a foul at the very end of the game. A foul at the end should be handled no different than a foul at the beginning, but I know they aren't. Announcers, coaches who lose, many fans, and lots of players consider not calling a foul in the last seconds to be the proper thing to do. KSA_21_3503, see above, and Coach Howland are prime examples, although KSA is possibly a K-State fan and like Howland biased from the get-go.

Unless things change Baylor's bigs and K-State's front lines will clobber KU's center and power forward. The idea that guards determine the outcome of big games will once again be proven to be a lot of hype. All five players and their replacements determine the outcome. Hopefully, our smaller players can pick up the slack the way TT and Tyrel did last night. I always have trouble assessing defense but apparently Morningstar once again did a fabulous job.

Brian Conrad 3 years, 4 months ago

some very bad decision making. some bad coaching .. and I never say this about Self.. but he should have made sure ball was in Reed's hands in last 29 seconds when it was for sure UCLA would foul , last 2 minutes very bad play very lucky to win. MU just shows few nights back NEVER throw ball back under other teams goal .. Reed should have known better. Marcus poor decision to drive basket and pickup charge when he should have been using up shot clock.. Self should have told them NO shots let em foul and keep ball in Reed's hands . Twins have to make better decisions, especially towards the end of games for this team to advance very far in tourney. come on charges, bad fouls, poor clock usage . play smart and you can win it all, but bad decisions towards the end of games = early exit

KSA_21_3503 3 years, 4 months ago

The classy thing for Self to have done was have Little intentionally miss both shots and go to overtime. The foul call was ridiculous. 5 more minutes on the floor would have made for great basketball.

Scott MacWilliams 3 years, 4 months ago

Wow. I thought that the Hawks wouldn't have this much trouble with UCLA. I'm glad they got the W but since I didn't get to watch the game, I have no idea if they played well or if UCLA was playing lights out... From this article, sounds like they certainly weren't on their game. 16 of 30 at the stripe?? Thats going to lose some games down the road. Alright Jayhawks, I'm sure that the coaches will have a recipe for what ails ya. Get busy with it, and don't look back. ROCK CHALK!!

GoodwinK 3 years, 4 months ago

Played like booty. Fat boy traveled a bunch. Ref owed us one...we will take the win. Hello memphis on tuesday. Somehow the KU games matchup with my lawschool finals. Great way to end terrible days, let's keep winning! Love my first ever first post hahaha