Sunday, January 24, 2010

Gary Bedore’s Kansas basketball notebook

Kansas guard Sherron Collins turns to the Iowa State student section after a late second-half dunk by forward Thomas Robinson, Saturday, Jan. 23, 2010 at Hilton Coliseum in Ames, Iowa. In back is forward Markieff Morris (21) and center Cole Aldrich (45).

Audio clips

2010 KU-Iowa State

Reader poll

Which performance were you more pleased with in the KU-Iowa State game?

• Cole Aldrich: 19 points, 8-for-11 shooting, 11 rebounds, 3 blocks, steal, 31 minutes 56% 1353 votes
  • Jeff Withey: 8 points, 5 rebounds, block, turnover, 12 minutes 41% 991 votes
  • Undecided 1% 36 votes

2380 total votes.

Reader poll

Who was KU's first-half MVP against Iowa State?

• Cole Aldrich 53% 70 votes
  • Jeff Withey 30% 40 votes
  • Thomas Robinson 1% 2 votes
  • Brady Morningstar 11% 15 votes
  • Other 3% 4 votes

131 total votes.

C.J. Henry bruises back

Kansas freshman guard C.J. Henry did not make the trip to Ames because of a severely bruised tailbone. KU coach Bill Self said he did not envision Henry playing in Monday’s 8 p.m. home game versus Missouri.

Henry was injured after falling hard on his back while trying to block a shot in Friday’s practice.

Self said tests showed no broken bones, just severe bruising.

“We’re nervous he may be out an extended period,” Self said.

X off target

Freshman guard/forward Xavier Henry, who hit two of 10 shots and scored four points, played just five minutes in the second half.

“He didn’t shoot the ball great the first half (2-of-8). He didn’t make shots early the second half, which is fine,” Self said. “With that said, the guys who came in were playing well. We could have gone back to him late. I thought the other guys were playing a little bit better. Don’t read anything into that. We want him to shoot it every time he’s open. It was a situation he was just not making shots. He will.”

Posing for cameras

ISU’s Marquis Gilstrap dunked in the face of Cole Aldrich and flexed his muscles for the crowd. He also flexed after another dunk.

KU’s Sherron Collins and Tyshawn Taylor also flexed in response to Gilstrap’s actions after a couple of made baskets the second half.

“I mean, he deserved it. He got a good dunk on me,” Marcus Morris said of Gilstrap’s flexing. “I wouldn’t have flexed it. I guess it’s what he does.”

Boorish behavior?

ISU students directed several chants that would be considered in poor taste in the direction of several KU players, including Collins and Brady Morningstar.

“The fans talk so much, you want to shut ’em up immediately and get ’em out of the way,” said Collins, who said it was special going 4-0 in Ames in his career. “They never shut up. Regardless of whether they were down 20 or 30, they keep talking. It was all fun, though. I love it. Undefeated is a good way to get out of here.”

Taylor’s play

Self on the play of Taylor, who had seven points and five rebounds in 13 minutes.

“Ty played well,” Self said. “He had a couple nice plays, made a big shot. He may play more in the future. He may not. Thirteen minutes ... it’s not what I want him to play. It’s the way I see it today.”

Taylor, who has been in hot water over a recent Facebook entry that reportedly implied he may leave KU, declined an interview request after the game.

Mizzou next

KU will play Missouri at 8 p.m. Monday in Allen Fieldhouse, then will travel to Kansas State on Saturday.

“It’s rivalry week for us. We will be pumped,” Self said. “Of course, to date, this is the biggest home game we’ve played so far this year, Missouri on Big Monday. Our most hyped game we play all year, except maybe for Texas, will be in Manhattan Saturday for (ESPN) Game Day. We’ll take ’em one at a time.”

“The fieldhouse will be rocking. All you’ve got to say is ‘Mizzou,’” Aldrich said.

Comments

dynamitehawk 4 years, 7 months ago

No comments yet??? Oh snap! I'm gonna start this off right then.... Sherron Collins is the love child of Zeus and a 200 pound cannon ball. 4-0 at Hilton. Well done. I am gong to miss this kid soooo much.

RockChalk1225 4 years, 7 months ago

I couldnt ever make out the chants their students were making at times. Anyone know what they were?

KU1992 4 years, 7 months ago

hahahahahaha very nice dynamite hawk

the_crark 4 years, 7 months ago

Pretty sure they were

"DUI, DUI, DUI" at Sleeves.

"Whip it out, Whip it out" "No means no, No means no" at Sherron

Greg Lux 4 years, 7 months ago

In my 25 yrs as a season ticket holder. The game that stands out above all was against Missouri. No team comes in and gets the fans going like MU. Its just something you have to experience. There is no feeling like it ... The energy could light a big city during the game. It's just Awesome Baby !! Totally Awesome !!

Rock Chalk

Mike Kendall 4 years, 7 months ago

I am assuming everyone saw the picture above of Cole. Nice smile. Cole looks like a goofy kid. Good picture of Sherron, too!

Mizzou on Big Monday! It doesn't get better than this--well, maybe except a Final 4 bid at Indy!

Funhawk 4 years, 7 months ago

Arnica will heal a bruise real quick.

honk_for_hawks 4 years, 7 months ago

He does seem too classy for mizzou, but I'm glad they have a good coach. It will make the rivalry even better and maybe we can overtake duke-unc in the minds of the media. I know we all consider it the better rivalry, but if mizzou can become a regular top team, this rivalry will be even better. oh...and mizzou still sucks

JerseyJim 4 years, 7 months ago

Lord I hope X is going to class...Teams are sitting on that left hand and I haven't even seen him shoot a breakaway layup right handed...He'll need time to develop that...Heads up tutors, keep him elegible.

honk_for_hawks 4 years, 7 months ago

actually i had him in a couple classes last semester and he sits in the front and was there every class.

docileboy 4 years, 7 months ago

A little off the subject, but did anyone watch the K-State/OSU game yesterday? I have never seen a game in a long time where the players talked back to and disputed every call the officials made. They did finally dish out a couple of T' s, but I 'am shocked they tolerated it as much as they did. You would think the coaching staffs would have told their players to shut up and play. I kind of admire the shorthanded Comboy's effort at the Octogon of Doom.

Mike Kendall 4 years, 7 months ago

I saw the last half of the K-State game. It does not surprise me that T's were given out. Some of those players from K-State (especially the ones from PR), are good players and have a lot of intensity, but they need to channel or harness those emotions. I think this is where KU will get the best of K-State. Sherron Collins, especially, doesn't get rattled. There comes a breaking point for referees that "enough is enough." I think that happened in Manhattan yesterday.

Mike Kendall 4 years, 7 months ago

Oh, I forgot. Who came up with the "Octogon of Doom" name for Bramledge. That is lame. Sounds like a video game you rent at Blockbuster Video. I have only heard it twice and I am already getting tired of it. The Cowboys roped the "Octogon of Doom" and threw it into the river yesterday!

docileboy 4 years, 7 months ago

On C.J.'s injury, those tail bone deals can sometimes drag on and on. Here's wishing him a speedy recoverery.

I also would be curious to know where the "octogon of doom" originated.

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 7 months ago

Even though they must be dejected over their loss yesterday, Texas fans had to have loved the "what goes around, comes around" outcome in Manhattan yesterday.

Frank Martin belongs in the Big !2 as much as Huggins did. They're just not in our league (no pun intended). I look for Martin to have a short tenure and it could be voluntary or after a rage that he is accused of. He just seems like a ticking timebomb to me.

Mike Kendall 4 years, 7 months ago

Psycho Martin--when he stares at you -- man, that is a stare to be reckon with! If you have young children sitting behind the K-State bench, cover their ears!

stravinsky 4 years, 7 months ago

I actually like watching Martin's teams - I'm just glad he doesn't point those crazy eyes my way. He's doing a lot better as a coach and recruiter than I expected post-Huggins. It's a good thing in the long run for both KU and the Big 12 in general for our rivals to not be cupcakes.

I was wondering about the flexing thing yesterday. There was one funny incident where Tyshawn made a great basket then they showed Sherron flexing.

And yes, Octagon of Doom sounds like a bad UFC event.

hawk316 4 years, 7 months ago

Good call by Tyshawn to decline the interview after the game. Tyshawn, it's time to stop talking and let your play speak for itself. You're a very talented young man who has a great future here, if you can maintain a good attitude, work hard and learn from your mistakes. I'm pulling for you.

esteshawk 4 years, 7 months ago

I love that KSU and Mizzery both appear to be on the upswing - makes for better rivalvies. It's been a looooong time since KSU was really a "rival." Also loved seeing Withey and Aldrich in together yesterday. That could turn into something special for stretches at a time. can you imagine having to face 13'10" in the paint?

Dynamite:Zuess bowling ball was great.

FreddyinLA 4 years, 7 months ago

Sit Down Norm! Sit Down Norm!

Mike Kendall 4 years, 7 months ago

Hey, there is a good mug shot picture in the Wichita Eagle Sports of Psycho Frank Martin. I believe the picture was taken by Jeff Tuttle. You can see that big vein popping out of his left temple side of head----CLASSIC!

100 4 years, 7 months ago

There are certain simple offensive sets we could absolutely dominate teams with. I'm talking sets we all ran as fifth graders. Two big men, swinging side to side on the blocks, Cole up down low & Withey up high.

Takes five seconds to learn & one minute to practice for gametime -- when you are loaded with height, skills and athleticism, one should always make us of the simple credo:

"The simplest way is usually the best."

in this set I would see three guards outside, just like we all learned in grade school, swinging the ball around looking for one thing -- an open seven footer to throw an alley oop. With Cole now not double teamed, everything opens up.

In relation only to quality minutes, where the players have thrown very few turnovers, played tough D & remembered to box out, & overall been great teamates, I would use the above offensive set for 5 minutes per half, with the following players:

1. The Human Bowling Ball
  2. The ReedIng Aparatus
  3. The Brady Factor
  4. The Seven Foot Dunkotron
  5. The Seven Foot Coal Train's Brother

All of these players we can count on -- and it comes down to matchups. 5 minutes per half of this combined with another 10 minutes per half of the 2nd team led by the Xman, pump faking, driving in for layups (& not 3 pointers), leading his troops, playing pressure D would drive an opposing coach NUTS!!!!

Wear....

Them...

Down!!!!!!!

Dyrk Dugan 4 years, 7 months ago

it's interesting how you hear in the press how well the ISU fans travel and how great the fans are...and then Sherron says he just loves to shut them up, will all their derogatory chants. Just flat out hilarious! (4-0 at Hilton....it's Sherron's house for sure.)

just remember folks, when you're talking about fans, especially in big time college sports: there are nasty folks EVERYWHERE. nobody, and i mean nobody, should have a holier than thou feeling about their fans.

Tony Bandle 4 years, 7 months ago

CJ...spray Windex on it. [My Big Fat Greek Wedding]

100..your dream has come true, Cole and Jeff on the floor at the same time.

Has anyone heard from Jaybate...if I knew what he looked like !'d put his face on a milk carton.

What a week..Big Monday against MU, Saturday at KSU...Pound the ball inside and we'll beat both!!

Great photo...looks like Sheron is in the middle of his solo with the Jayhawk Trio!!

Mike Kendall 4 years, 7 months ago

Jaybate maybe is an illegal alien -- possibly deported back to Mexico!

ku_foaf 4 years, 7 months ago

Norm was a big reason the intense rivalry developed. He was a jerk at every other school, not just KU. I remember watching his show & being surprised he could appear charming to his own! The rivalry with OK lost something when Tubbs left.

Kent Wells 4 years, 7 months ago

I'm telling y'all, Bate is in the sex addict clinic with El Tigre.

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 7 months ago

Jaybate seems to disappear the game before a "big" game. Seems like it's always before the Mizz. game, too. He must be in a sweat lodge somewhere in some sort of trance preparing for his 3-4 day explosion of comments and insights surrounding the game. For all we know also, he could be in Columbia gathering material for his upcoming novels.

dynamitehawk 4 years, 7 months ago

I would bet my paycheck that jaybate is on a tree stump in Haiti, expaining in James Naismith terms, how physical activities like basketball can be not only beneficial and fullfilling activities, but also thread a foundation into the fabric of society, therefore transcending the socio-economic problems that compound their current fate. He probably will be fairly successful, but returned after a big azz-whuppin' from some dude that thinks he talks too much. And then he will return with excellent post-mizzou stuff.

tulsahawkfan 4 years, 7 months ago

That's straight up hilarious dynamite.

waywardJay 4 years, 7 months ago

Jaybate, Buddha on Palm leaf.... channelling the inner chi, and focusing out the external negativity of the Slave staters.... trying to re-align x's trifecta, mentally replace Cole's tooth by telekenesis all the while adding 10 pounds to Withey's frame.....

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 7 months ago

Breaking Jaybate News:

On another thread, he just indicated that he had been in Cancun for a week.

Dynamitehawk - that paycheck should be endorsed over in the name Memhawk. The people of Cancun are subjected to enough abuse during spring break. Can you imagine the exchanges between him and cab drivers, hotel desk clerks, beach chair boys, etc.? By now they must have posted signs everywhere: No Mas El-Jaybato!

Mike Kendall 4 years, 7 months ago

What I said before--he's in Mexico!!!