Originally published January 26, 2010 at 12:00a.m., updated January 26, 2010 at 11:11a.m.

History lesson inspires Markieff

Kansas guard Sherron Collins cuts through the Missouri defense for a shot during the first half, Monday, Jan. 25, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Audio clips

2010 KU-Missouri

Jayhawks maul Tigers in showdown

Kansas dismantled Missouri in 2010's first installment of the Border War on Monday, Jan. 25 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Reader poll

Who had the best offensive game for KU against Missouri?

• Cole Aldrich: 12 points, 4-for-5 shooting, 16 rebounds 30% 825 votes
  • Tyrel Reed: 14 points, 5-for-6 shooting, 4-for-4 from three-point range 45% 1242 votes
  • Marcus Morris: 17 points, 6-for-10 shoting, nine rebounds 22% 604 votes
  • Other 2% 62 votes

2733 total votes.

Reader poll

Do you like Bob Knight as a color commentator?

• Yes 71% 135 votes
  • No 22% 43 votes
  • Undecided 5% 11 votes

189 total votes.

Videos

KU vs. Missouri

video thumbnail

Kansas and Missouri battle in 2010's first installment of the Border Showdown Monday, Jan. 25, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Markieff Morris found himself a little more amped up than normal before Kansas University’s most recent game against Missouri.

“Last year, I kind of didn’t understand what was going on. But after having a year, you pick up on what the rivalry’s like,” the sophomore forward said following KU’s 84-65 victory Monday. “Coach (Self) explained it to us right before the game. It got us just more juiced up for the game.”

So what exactly did Self say to get Markieff so energized?

Turns out it was a history lesson on the Civil War.

“They (Missourians) came and they killed the horses and the wives, the families,” Markieff said. “That type of stuff. It’s just more than basketball. That’s what he’s saying.”

Markieff said Self’s speech was an attention-grabber.

“He’s always fired up for the Missouri game,” Markieff said. “He always keeps a smile on his face, but he might, sometimes, get a little red. You already know it’s time to go.”

Markieff certainly looked like an inspired player in the first half against MU.

In just 11 first-half minutes, Markieff grabbed 10 rebounds.

“I didn’t even know I had 10,” Markieff said. “It was just attacking the board. I finished with 11, so I could have crashed the board a lot better the second half.

“I feel like a lot of them were coming to me also. Just boxing out and being able to be in the right place at the right time.”

By halftime, Markieff and teammate Cole Aldrich had combined for seven more rebounds (22) than Missouri had as a team (15).

“He just needed to get back to the old Cole he was,” Markieff said. “He’s playing wonderful. He’s blocking shots. It’s hard to come in and get a free shot without him contesting a shot. He’s grabbing every single rebound that goes up, and he’s scoring in the post.”

Markieff finished with nine points — including a three-pointer — on 3-for-4 shooting in 19 minutes. He played just seven minutes in KU’s previous game against Iowa State, partly because of foul trouble.

Markieff’s 11 rebounds against MU were one off a career-high.

“This game is like no other,” Markieff said. “We have fans sleeping outside (while camping), so it was more than just basketball.”

It also was an important enough game to get Self riled up beforehand.

Markieff came away with one main impression after his coach’s fiery speech.

“That he’s juiced up too,” Markieff said. “So we’ve got to get to his level.”

Comments

Sean Rodger 4 years, 2 months ago

ksu was founded by a bunch of hicks that couldn't get into KU. mu was actually just a middle school, which they later turned into a "college" because their education never got any higher.

Woody Cragg 4 years, 2 months ago

Alot of these things are fun to joke just to make the rivalries more interesting. But all kidding aside, Quantrill and his raiders and John Brown and his cronies were all nothing but criminals killing whoever they felt like in a lawess frontier. My ancestors resettled in Riley and Nemaha counties in the 1860's and if sickness or disease didn't kill them, there were always Indians or some homegrown homicidal maniacs waiting around to burn your place to the ground. I like to have fun with it too, but we still have to keep it all in perspective. It's just sports. Relax and enjoy the ride.

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 4 years, 2 months ago

no prob! i love history. WWII military history is pretty fascinating. if you are a fan of it, I suggest you look up the podcast "Hardcore History with Dan Carlin" and listen to the 4-part series "Ghosts of the Ostfront" that he did. Is all about the Eastern Front and is completely fascinating. So many neat stories and amazing facts.

Anyways, that's about as far away from KU b-ball as we can get now, huh? haha

rock chalk

Ralster Jayhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

milwaukeeJHWK, Thanks for the clarification! My favorite area of history is WW2 Military history, so I find your Quantrill-facts very helpful! Thanks.

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 4 years, 2 months ago

OK, everyone. As a guy with a Master's in History, it drives me up the wall to see inaccuracies bandied about by either side. Looks like we need to work on our history.

Quantrill killed somewhere between 150-200 men, and some young adult men that were nearing manhood.

They didn't indiscriminantly kill all men, women and children. They were bloodthirtsy murderers, but selective.

And the 83-0 score makes no sense. The numbers were easily twice that. That's a Mizzourah education for you. Also, the residents of Lawrence lynched one Quantrill raider in the morning when he was captured. So one guy was punished at least.

So the score would realistically be 150-1.

But I do agree that there's too much focus on it. It really has nothing to do with the rivalry today, and the political landscape of the nation & area were so different that the world of today (and even basketball) would be completely alien to 1850s people.

Is fun to rub it in their faces that they're a bunch of slavers, though! haha. I heard Quentin Tarantino wants to make a movie about John Brown. That would rock.

Woody Cragg 4 years, 2 months ago

globaljaybird-Correct, KSU sucks. But MU swallows.

Ralster Jayhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

To their credit, KU and MU have tried to minimalize the rivalry to be only on the gridiron or on the hardwood, and thats perfectly fine and actually desirable--but then why do those clowns (MU fans) bring up "83-0" as if its anything to be proud of?

Ralster Jayhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

ku foaf, The problem with letting old CivilWar animosities "fade away", is that the Mizzoorah people keep bringing it up in a manner that is so totally wrong and not even sportsmanlike: There is a Missouri judge, who in his chambers has a framed sign Missouri 83, Kansas 0. And you gotta remember those Mizzoo fans at Arrowhead Stadium during the MU/KU game holding up the same "83-0" signs. Quantrill's Raiders came and burned Lawrence, KS to the ground and murdered 83 men, women, and children. And several of the victims were AfricanAmerican...Missouri never officially apologized, and it is also on record that they "filed papers" to formally join the Confederacy in support of slavery.

I'm sorry, but to wave any "83-0" sign as anything remotely positive simply has ZERO place in sports. Dont care who you root for, thats just wrong!

John Liddell 4 years, 2 months ago

Love it ... I'd hate to play SC in the Tourney

aerohawk 4 years, 2 months ago

And UK falls its first game as number 1. So much for Calipari's "If we played anyone in the country today we would smash them."

okiedave 4 years, 2 months ago

I hope when going down to OSU this year, Bill Self reminds his boys that Quantrill came from Missouri and up through Oklahoma to attack Lawrence (the free state power base) and that if he known that at the time he picked a school to play for, he would never have never played for OSU.

jaybate 4 years, 2 months ago

slayr,

"you're never really alone on a farm..."

Classic!

William Blake 4 years, 2 months ago

KSU developed the science of animal husbandry, MU developed the perverted practice of this science.

I believe the phrase "you're never really alone on a farm" came from Columbia.

William Blake 4 years, 2 months ago

"KSU raises doubts about Kansans. MU raises doubts about humans."

Bravo!

jaybate 4 years, 2 months ago

Some Ways the KSU Rivalry Differs from the MU Rivalry:

KSU rightly views itself as an inferior. MU wrongly views itself as an equal.

KSU has had four very good coaches in Jack Gardner, Tex Winter, Jack Hartman, and Lon Kruger. MU has had Norm Stewart, which is the same as having none.

KSU raises doubts about Kansans. MU raises doubts about humans.

KSU has Aggieville. MU has Denny's.

KSU has experimental barns. MU has experimental dorms.

KSU has Kirstie Alley. MU has Sheryl Crow.

KSU sucks hard on the oil-gas lobby. MU sucks hard on a retail oligopolist.

KSU has not been very good for quite awhile. MU has had one good season recently.

KSU has the academic honor code: "On my honor, as a student, I have neither given nor received unauthorized aid on this academic work." MU has The Antlers Code: "On my honor, as a degenerate, I have neither given, nor received, correct answers on this academic work."

But here is the really sad part.

KSU and MU tower over a place like the University of Contucky.

Rock Chalk!

docileboy 4 years, 2 months ago

Has the history teacher told the Morris twins of all the atrocities the Aggies have performed aginst the decent people of Kansas? Beat the Mildcats!

waywardJay 4 years, 2 months ago

i've got the speech for you already.....

"Look around you Gentleman... This is Manhattan. End their Pain."

kranny 4 years, 2 months ago

I hope HCBS can come up with an equally inspiring speech before Saturday's game with K-State. They will need to be fired up with College Game Day coming to town and pumping up the K-Staters.

William Blake 4 years, 2 months ago

ku_foaf - I hear you... however.... if the focus is on the Civil War the focus stays away from some of the antics which have occurred over the years. Many of those antics put players and fans at risk of harm, and we don't need to focus on antics that fans today could get ideas to reenact or even go steps further.

I recall it getting so bad that the universities sat down together and discussed what they could do to stop the direction it was going in.

Best keep the focus on history.... I've disliked Missouri since I came out of the womb, but I don't want to see anyone hurt and I'm very proud of the Jayhawk Nation last night for being good fans, not like our nemesis in Columbia.

ku_foaf 4 years, 2 months ago

Again, maybe it is just me ... but I'm a little tired of the Civil War being mentioned every time KU-MU play. Yeah, both mascots are from Civil War groups. I dislike MU because it is a sports rival, not because of the Civil War skirmishes. Maybe that is why the intense rivalry developed in the early 1900s. This aspect seemed to become a big deal in 2007 - never mentioned when I was a student in the early 80s. Not that we didn't hate each other then!

I'd guess not too many of us actually had families in KS during the Civil War. Many more came after the war from (GASP!) Missouri.

KanFan27 4 years, 2 months ago

I can imagine how much Bill Self hates MU. It said he keeps a smile but gets red in the face, well since he was at Illinois, and then KU he probably has a whole lot of hate for the tigers.

I agree Aligned I think that was unfair Sallyp. We have had some amazing big guys recently. I loved Darnell Jackson, and we Also had Arthur, Kaun, before that we had guys through here like Collison, Gooden, Simien, Langford, Moody, we even had a few good years from the juco boy Jeff Graves. The thing is that I know I'm forgetting and not listing some others.

William Blake 4 years, 2 months ago

Kieff - you need to get juiced up for every game because you are a competitor! If coach is sleeping on the bus it doesn't give you a free pass to sleep during the game.

This is a big opportunity in your life to go for something that will bring you great rewards, like a ticket to the NBA. You won't get a second chance in life, so make the most of it and you'll not only set yourself in a great career, you'll have a blast kicking the tails of everyone you face.

Go get'em, killer!

Ralster Jayhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

Great game 'Kieff! Same for McM+Cole. Now on to Girlie-Man-hattan! Clemente is nothing more than a DJAgustine-type (not smooth, ballhog) who simply has a green light from his coach to take a bunch of ill-advised shots. I will give him props for playing with 'heart and emotion', but you also cannot go 0-6 FTs (vs.TX) in your own gym--KSU left that game vs TX up-for-grabs, but the unimpressive-as-usual in-game coaching of Rick Barnes left TX dead in the water, too. Its Self-time in Manhattan...

David Leathers 4 years, 2 months ago

When you pass two people(actually tied with Manning, but went from 7th to tied for 5th) in one game on the all-time blocks record at Kansas, I'd say you're pretty special. This kid is a monster and we all have gotten what we have been waiting for. Swat King Cole is back.

His first half performance reminded me of a caertain somebody who put up 22 pts. and 23 reb. against Texas 6 years ago.

MGJayhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

I hope that punk Clemente understands that Brady, Sherron, Tyshawn and Tyrell are going to be all up on him all game and his dirty play won't sit well with our squad. Watch him when he drives or is dribbling out of a trap, he pushes off and uses his bony elbows to get around, the refs never call it. He's a good player but I don't like him. I dare the KSU folk to start pissing us off. We play better when we're pissed and disrespected.

ROCK CHALK!!!

Aligned 4 years, 2 months ago

I'm not sure who you're referring to specifically Sally, but KU has had a parade of awesome big-men come through the program over the past years and decades.

mandomax 4 years, 2 months ago

I think Game Day is in Manhattan because they know by the time KSU comes to Allen on March 3 they won't be anywhere near the top 10. ESPN wants the ratings NOW so they'll pitch it as a conference rivalry matchup between two top 10 teams. Which it is.

Sally Presson 4 years, 2 months ago

Does anyone remember when our big man couldn't get an inch off the ground? Well, I do and our bigs are the best!!! Anytime you wish they'd do better, just remember what we USE to have. Way to go guys!!! Hesshawk, you hit the nail on the head--K-state is all hyped up because they beat Texas and think they're the National Champs, they will be stupid on game day, why in the world it's in Manhattan is beyond me, but it is what it is and KU is going to be ready for them.

Rock Chalk!!

KUFan90 4 years, 2 months ago

We were a point for Markieff and a rebound for Marcus away from 3 double doubles. I wonder if that has ever happened before?

hesshawk 4 years, 2 months ago

Down go the Missery tiggers. Next up: the Craphattan kitties. Expect their hayseed fans to do something completely stupid and expect ESPN to think it's "clever" or "unique" and give it way too much airtime.

Be ready Jayhawks. Take 'em down.

Rock Chalk

jhwkfan162515 4 years, 2 months ago

Marcus is definitely into it. He has really turned up his game since Big 12 play started. Let's keep it up!

Dyrk Dugan 4 years, 2 months ago

Markieff and Marcus have it figured out now for sure. plus, with being here in the off season, with a chance for conditioning and just playing basketball, and being regular students, it's a much easier road. They're both productive and we need them to do that.

Coach Self, he's great. you don't think he's into it? this man is into it. Great leader for our program.

Let's now go get the kitty cats.

waywardJay 4 years, 2 months ago

Great Effort 'kieff. 9 and 11 is respectable numbers considering you are our third Big.

Between you and your brother combined, 28 and 18, 4 assists and 1 Block...

Isn't this alot more fun than last year ????