Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Gary Bedore’s Kansas basketball notebook

Kansas fans gear up for the tip-off of the Kansas-Missouri game Monday, Jan. 25, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Audio clips

2010 KU-Missouri

Jayhawks maul Tigers in showdown

Kansas dismantled Missouri in 2010's first installment of the Border War on Monday, Jan. 25 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Reader poll

Who had the best offensive game for KU against Missouri?

• Cole Aldrich: 12 points, 4-for-5 shooting, 16 rebounds 30% 825 votes
  • Tyrel Reed: 14 points, 5-for-6 shooting, 4-for-4 from three-point range 45% 1242 votes
  • Marcus Morris: 17 points, 6-for-10 shoting, nine rebounds 22% 604 votes
  • Other 2% 62 votes

2733 total votes.

Reader poll

Do you like Bob Knight as a color commentator?

• Yes 71% 135 votes
  • No 22% 43 votes
  • Undecided 5% 11 votes

189 total votes.

Videos

KU vs. Missouri

video thumbnail

Kansas and Missouri battle in 2010's first installment of the Border Showdown Monday, Jan. 25, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Money sings

National recording artist Eddie Money sang the national anthem.

Money, who lives in southern California, had the time of his life attending his first KU basketball game.

“I’m in Allen Fieldhouse. This is where Wilt Chamberlain played. I just saw Danny Manning. I had a chance to meet Gale Sayers. I’m in heaven,” exclaimed Money, whose hits include “Take Me Home Tonight,” “Two Tickets to Paradise,” “Shakin’” and “Baby Hold On.”

Money, 60, said in a pregame interview with the Journal-World that he was nervous about singing the anthem.

“I played with the (Rolling) Stones, and I wasn’t nervous like I am now,” he said. “The only song I get nervous about singing is the Star-Spangled Banner. I sang it at a Chiefs game a couple years ago when they played the Raiders. This is the highlight of my life.

“My son goes to junior college. I wish he was here today to see how beautiful the girls are who go to school in the Midwest. I’ve been to UCLA, all over the place. The prettiest girls in the country are right here.”

Money, by the way, performed the national anthem at the Liberty Bowl, which is when he “ran into some friends who are from KU.” They had his agent contact KU about singing the anthem at a game.

In the house

Former Kentucky coach Billy Gillispie, a close friend of KU coach Bill Self, attended, as did some members of the K.C. Chiefs. ... Ishmail Wainwright, a 6-5 freshman from Raytown South, attended and sat behind KU’s bench.

Say what?

Cole Aldrich had a funny quote about MU’s press. KU had 23 turnovers to the Tigers’ five.

“We were up 20 at half. They continued to fight. They really turned us over today,” he said. “We had 23 turnovers. That’s a real lot. With those guys scrambling around … I can see why we turned it over a number of times. They are a tough team.”

Injury update

Self said he hoped C.J. Henry (bruised tailbone) would be able to return to practice sometime this week. Next game is 6 p.m., Saturday, at Kansas State.

Stats, facts

Brady Morningstar had nine points and five assists. He hit a crowd-pleasing three right before the halftime buzzer. ... KU extended its home win streak to 54 games. ... KU has won 11 straight over Mizzou in Allen. ... Self is 14-3 all-time against MU, including 11-3 at KU. ... Aldrich recorded his eighth double-double (12 points and 16 rebounds) this season. It marked his 30th career double-double. ...Aldrich had 12 rebounds in the first half, most by a Jayhawk in a single half since Wayne Simien’s 12 in the first half against UC-Santa Barbara on Dec. 20, 2003. ... Aldrich also recorded a season-high seven blocked shots, which were the most blocks by a Jayhawk since he had 10 against Dayton in the NCAA Tournament last season. His seven blocks were tied for fifth-most in a game by a Jayhawk. ... Aldrich tied Manning for fifth place on KU’s all-time list with 200 blocks in his career.

Comments

murph 4 years, 7 months ago

Utterly, utterly disgusting to have some "entertainer" come in and sing the anthem. There is talent equal to that Cole Aldrich displayed last night in the music department. There is stiff competition each year for the honor of singing at the games. But no! Perkin$ has to turn it into a commercial show. If that guy wants to perform, let him be the halftime act, but this is just TERRIBLE.

Bob Zielinski 4 years, 7 months ago

murph, you absolutely have to find something else to get riled up about. Eddie Money sang the national anthem, it is okay. Some people might have gotten a kick out of it. Certainly his performance is nothing for anyone to be angry about.

beawolf 4 years, 7 months ago

Murph,

Chill dude. He did a great job. Take your Perkin's hate somewhere else.

Jeffery Barrett 4 years, 7 months ago

"That's a real lot." That's awesome!

Ken Miller 4 years, 7 months ago

Go to deadspin.com and check out the screen shot of Bobby Knight and Brent Musburger. Look behind them, to the right. That's Eddie Money.

Still trying to get THAT vision out of my head this morning.

kerbyd 4 years, 7 months ago

Wow. If Eddie looks like that in the evening imagine what he looks like in the morning! LMAO

floydtemple 4 years, 7 months ago

I met Eddie Money back in about 1997. I saw him in a hotel lobby before his show at a small club in Springfield, VA. I said, "hey Eddie Money!" He said "hey, how are you?" and, "who are the good college football teams around here?" I said "nobody really, Maryland is halfway decent". Then he leaned against the hotel front desk and grunted out a pretty loud fart!!. I was stunned silent. He was wearing leather pants and his legs were skinnier than my arms. He then pulled out a bottle of pills from his pocket and drank a couple right in front of me. He then asked where a good place was for late night grub. I pointed him toward Malek's pizza palace in Springfield, VA.

That's my brush with Eddie Money. It is absolutely 100% true, I couldn't make this up.

MarchSadness 4 years, 7 months ago

does anybody know what Chiefs players were there?

bg_duck1 4 years, 7 months ago

HAHAHAHA Eddie Money just proved how drugged out/hammered rock "stars" can get..."I sang it at a Chiefs game a couple years ago when they played the Raiders." No you didn't, it was against the Ravens last home game in the 2006 season. I was working for the Chiefs at the time as an intern and worked in Eddie's luxury box during that game, he was SMASHED I don't know how even remembered the words to the song!

d_prowess 4 years, 7 months ago

I thought it was one of the worst anthem performances I could ever remember at the Fieldhouse. Just horrible.

prairie_rattler 4 years, 7 months ago

CNN/SI has an interesting take on the parity in Div. 1 college basketball, and KU's apparent immunity to it all... http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/stewart_mandel/01/25/hoops.dynasties/index.html?eref=sihp

FairgroveJayhawk 4 years, 7 months ago

How much focus and maturity does it show to put up a shot at half time that sends the crowd into a frenzy, and then to be the first into the tunnel? I can think of a couple that would have done the Charleston at mid court. Great focus and sportsmanship. Pretty good shot too:)

Dan Harris 4 years, 7 months ago

LOL Craptucky just went down against SC

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 7 months ago

KY Fans -

You just got beat by poultry!!!!

jaybate 4 years, 7 months ago

Warning: Potentially Incendiary Post Regarding Brady...

"There's no shame in suffering a down year. Not in this sport. If North Carolina can't maintain a dynasty, who can?"--SI

KU.

Seriously, the key to continuity is finding the impact and glue guys you need to outfit the scheme you run.

Self requires lots of bigs and one has to be big enough and strong enough to muscle.

Self requires 2 of three perimeter spots to be impact players. One has to be glue.

Self requires 40% trinististas at the glue spots.

Can he keep finding these things?

He appears about to start next season without a stud in the paint on the order of magnitude of Cole, or Arthur, or Kaun, though Withey/Trob could develop.

Far worse, if he can't toughen Tyshawn in a hurry, he is going to enter next season without a seasoned impact player at the 1 for the first time in several years. Would Self dare play a non impact player at the point, if he could put impact players at the 2 and 3?

Is the Pope partial to fish on Fridays?

The key to continuity is to have almost all the parts, not some of them, and be able to mask what you don't have.

Self is very good at masking weakness--something other coaches are not as good at.

Last year, he was like a freaking magician. He finessed through an entire season with Brady at the 3 with essentially no back up. What he did was merely the greatest finesse job I have ever seen.

Almost as impressive as the way Self limped through with the Twins, who were no where near physically ready to play D1 ball.

But Self has to have the parts and he has to have them with sufficient muscle already on the frames to play his game to be really good.

Last year's team rode two great players and defense to the sweet 16.

Without any bigs coming in next year of note, Self has to hope that Withey and Robinson muscle up and dominate the 5, and that Marcus and Kieff get even stronger next year. They really need to add another 15 pounds a piece to keep opponents from thinking they can waltz in on the Twins.

The big whole on defense will be Cole, but we do have a committee that could mature into something capable of replacing him.

jaybate 4 years, 7 months ago

The big whole on offense will be Sherronatron. There is no one out their in this recruiting class that could come close to playing as well as an experienced Sherron has played the last two seasons. No one. John Wall can't this year. No one will next year. Sherron is just too good and too experienced.

So Self has to look at turning the 1 back into a low scoring, dribble and dish spot. But even there he has a problem. One of Tyshawn, Elijah or C.J. Henry were who he wanted to be that man. But not one has stepped forward and showed the right stuff.

Here is a very weird possibility that will make the anti-Brady crowd howl.

If Tyshawn cracks instead of tempers from the current toughening, if CJ can't learn to play Self defense, and if Elijah can't get his TOs down before season's end, Self may actually have to ask Brady to work on PG all summer long and get him ready to play out of position at the point next year.

Even I wonder if Brady can pull that off!

But who else is there? Who else has been through the fire and proven they can adapt and lead.

Even though Tyrel is a natural PG between the ears, he is cursed with slow feet that are going to get only incrementally faster.

Even the hot shot points that might come to KU from the current recruiting class would be hard pressed to fill all of Sherron's minutes. They would struggle at least as much as Wall, the king of TOs has done, and Self Ball cannot really thrive on PGs throwing the ball away more frequently than Tyshawn already does.

Everyone loves Elijah, but he has been a TO addict too. Sloppy ball handlers are harder to retrain than just about anything else.

Oh, Brady...could you please pull my fat out of the fire one more time?

Could you?

Lance Hobson 4 years, 7 months ago

Eddie Money was fun, it was a great night. Fairgrove, I'm not about to call Brady Morningstar mature after what he did in the middle of boot camp. He did get a nice lucky bounce with that shot so good for him.

The team has moments of brilliance and will be tough, but it's going to be hard to win six straight, or even four straight in the tourney with such a young and inconsistent team. I'm expecting a rough one Saturday but I really hope they quiet that Silo Tech crowd.

The next two months will determine if Tyshawn is going to be a bust or not. Right now I'd say it's 50/50.