Kansas defeats Missouri, 84-65

• 8 p.m., Jan. 25, 2010
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Men among boys

Kansas big guys play big

Kansas center Cole Aldrich swats Missouri guard Kim English's shot during the second half, Monday, Jan. 25, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse..

Audio clips

2010 KU-Missouri

Jayhawks maul Tigers in showdown

Kansas dismantled Missouri in 2010's first installment of the Border War on Monday, Jan. 25 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Reader poll

Who had the best offensive game for KU against Missouri?

• Cole Aldrich: 12 points, 4-for-5 shooting, 16 rebounds 30% 825 votes
  • Tyrel Reed: 14 points, 5-for-6 shooting, 4-for-4 from three-point range 45% 1242 votes
  • Marcus Morris: 17 points, 6-for-10 shoting, nine rebounds 22% 604 votes
  • Other 2% 62 votes

2733 total votes.

Reader poll

Do you like Bob Knight as a color commentator?

• Yes 71% 135 votes
  • No 22% 43 votes
  • Undecided 5% 11 votes

189 total votes.

Videos

KU vs. Missouri

video thumbnail

Kansas and Missouri battle in 2010's first installment of the Border Showdown Monday, Jan. 25, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Cole Aldrich and Marcus Morris held their own personal two-man huddle during the first TV timeout of Monday’s Border War clash in Allen Fieldhouse.

“We noticed they were pretty small down low. Cole said we could dominate ’em in the paint, and that’s what we tried to do,” Morris said after the Jayhawks’ 84-65 manhandling of Missouri.

It’s not as pretty as three-point shooting — Tyrel Reed went 4-for-4 and Xavier Henry 3-of-7 from beyond the arc — but the key to the Jayhawks (19-1, 5-0) pounding rival Mizzou (15-5, 3-2) Monday had to be dominance in the paint and on the glass.

KU outrebounded MU, 37-15, the first half and had 28 points in the paint to the Tigers’ six in building an insurmountable 50-30 lead.

By game’s end, KU had outscored MU, 36-18, in the paint and outboarded MU by a remarkable 56-28 total.

“Cole and the twins ... they were men today. It’s a man’s game, and they were men,” said KU senior guard Sherron Collins, who hit for six points off chilly 2-of-11 shooting with two assists against four turnovers in 29 minutes.

The men piled up some impressive personal numbers.

Marcus Morris hit six of 10 shots and five of six free throws, good for 17 points, with nine boards. Markieff Morris had 10 rebounds the first half and finished with 11 boards and nine points.

And Aldrich ... well, he came close to notching the second official triple-double in KU history (he had the first last year against Dayton) with 12 points off 4-of-5 shooting and 4-of-6 free throwing, 16 boards and seven blocks.

“I heard some stuff from some of the guys. They said, ‘You’ve got to get a few more blocks,’’’ Aldrich said. “I thought I had one more, but I guess I fouled him (Justin Safford with 7:30 left). That’s all right. I still had a blast out there.”

Aldrich had so much fun that he actually grabbed a broom and cleaned up the sweat on the fieldhouse floor late in the first half after a stoppage in play.

“I got the floor all sweaty. I didn’t see a ballboy out there, so I grabbed it (mop). It’s just kind of one of those things I did,” the 6-foot-11 Aldrich said with a grin.

His effort helped account for the 56 boards, most for KU in a conference game since 58 versus Nebraska in 2002. KU’s plus-28 rebound margin was most in a conference game since plus-30 versus Texas Tech in 2008. KU had 61 boards earlier this season versus Alcorn State.

“Cole was great. I thought Cole and Tyrel were our best players today,” said coach Bill Self, who said there might have to be a recount on some of the stats, indicating Cole appeared to have a few more rebounds and blocks.

Self was not pleased the Jayhawks suffered 23 turnovers to Missouri’s five and that Aldrich took just five shots from the field on a night he ruled the glass.

“We had some guys shooting the ball that shouldn’t have been shooting the ball,” Self said. “The ball should have been going to Cole and giving him a chance to score. In the second half (KU was outscored 35-34), we did a poor job of that. We played well in the first half and didn’t play awful in the second half, but we’re better than that. We have to figure a way to put 40 minutes together instead of just 20.”

Of the turnovers, he noted: “We’re not going to be able to turn them over much. That’s a quick team. They are quicker than us on the perimeter, and when it did extend, we had a hard time guarding the ball. Of the 23 turnovers we had, a lot were unforced or just silly because they only had nine steals. You turn the ball over 23 times, that means they are taking it out of bounds 14 of those times. If the number of turnovers was 15, we score 95 points. We have to be better and learn from it. We could have cracked the game open.”

Instead, the 19-point victory will suffice on a night KU ruled the backboards.

“I told Marcus we had some size and had to keep moving our feet down low. We just had to get those angles. I knew we could hit the boards. We had to keep that fight down there, had to get extra possessions. I think we did that against a good Missouri team,” Aldrich said.

Comments

waywardJay 4 years, 6 months ago

Our Bigs were nasty tonight. Flat out Nasty. There is no one who can match our bigs when we play as aggressively as we did tonight on the Boards.

beakem_in_LA 4 years, 6 months ago

It's called the Border Showdown, but tonight it was the Border Beatdown.

waywardJay 4 years, 6 months ago

You know Beak, It wasn't even a beatdown.... This was like a cage fight between a journeyman cage fighter and .... for a lack of a better descriptor.... Cheech Marin... ( short and unatletic downlow ,ugly when they shot and generally outmatched with one statistical exception.... Cheech Marin would tell a few jokes before getting his A** knocked out, just like they forced alot of turnovers. ) And this wasn't even our Best game. No Sherron, 70% Xavier, and Turnover Tyshawn were major players.

ParisHawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Now isn't that a LOT better than Withey's coming out party? I really like Withey so far and wish him the best, but the top 7-8 rotation guys are going to make the difference, not 9 and 10. Nothing beats having a great overall game from every one of our top three bigs.

X looks like he's fighting through his slump with a good attitude.

Sherron, no worries.

I find it hard to believe that halfway through the season our two best guards after Sherron are Brady (who spotted everyone a semester) and Tyrel. At this point, what we could use the most is one more good, athletic, consistent guard and the only realistic candidate is Taylor with his head on straight. He straightens himself out and we're loaded for bear.

jbrownjib 4 years, 6 months ago

It was just a matter of time before Cole and Marcus hit stride. Sherron has been incredible all year. I always felt that Morningstar and Reed would play big on big nights. Just waiting for X who had a lot of near misses tonight. I think that Tyshawn will come around eventually. If not, I like our chances with Morningstar, Reed and Johnson.

X's freshman year reminds me of Rush's. Great defender but timid or just a little off on the offensive game. Looks like he was almost there tonight but he just doesn't look comfortable with offense yet. I think he should hold off on the NBA another year or two to work on that aspect of his game.

KU 4 years, 6 months ago

Another good game from KU's bigs against a team that's outmatched up front. Saturday in Manhattan won't be a game that's in Cole or Withey's "wheelhouse", so to speak. KSU's bigs are athletic and physical. That game will be a little to "quick" for Cole and Withey. I would hate to see Cole get in early foul trouble. The Morris boys will need to be on top of their games Saturday. Last night was one of the few times they every played great on the same night. Let's hope they can do it again.

Whenever Cole went out of the game last night, you could see MU make an effort to drive in the paint. KSU will do this whether Cole is in the game or not. Our perimeter defenders have to do a better job of denying dribble penetration.

Don't expect to see the KSU team that lost to OSU. That was a classic "letdown" game after their big win against UT. We will see the intensity of the UT game times 2 Saturday night. Our bigs need to battle like warriors and our guards have to offset a couple of the best guards in the conference for us to win. Since Sherron had an off night against MU, I'm expecting a big game from him Saturday.

DocBean 4 years, 6 months ago

I was most impressed with the guards attacking. Tyshawn, Collins, Xavier, and Brady were all attacking MUs deffense all night. That left Tyrell open for a lot of threes that he drained, and pulled some of the double teams away from the bigs.

If they keep attacking like they did last night, they're going to be tough for anyone to beat.

jayhawkintexas 4 years, 6 months ago

Well said, KU. By the way, Withey had a great game against ISU but didn't get in the game until the last couple of minutes last night. What happened there? Also, I didn't see it on TV but was the "Border War" sign there like last year? That sign is an instant icon.

drpeternate 4 years, 6 months ago

When Cole and the Twins play with that kind of effort down low, this team is unbeatable. I hope that Withey and Robinson get more regular PT as the year goes on...

Kye Clark 4 years, 6 months ago

All in all this was a great game. As Bob Knight was saying, it's almost impossible to not relax a bit when building a big lead, so some of the sloppy play in the second half and not running our offense to maximum efficiency is excusable. I find it interesting that for the second game in a row there has been a reference to Cole having an injury that was pretty much unknown and unconfirmed (Cole's dad indicating he had a lower leg stress fracture, the announcers last night saying he had dealt with a foot injury that was seemingly better). If these reports are true, combined with everything else that Cole has gone through this year, then it certainly explains some of his earlier mediocre performances and should make some people feel really foolish for bashing him. Credit to the big man for never making excuses. Aside from the man's game performances by Cole and the Morris Twins, there were some other positive things to take from this game. I thought we handled their full-court press very well. I was pleased with both the play of X and Tyshawn. X looks like he is coming out of his shooting slump (42.8% from 3, and no airballs!) and I thought he played very good defense. Tyshawn I thought defended well and looked more in rhythm on the offensive end than in games past, despite the 4 turnovers (one was on a questionable charging call, and I remember thinking during the game that at least one other TO he had wasn't really his fault although I can't recall specifically). While probably to the chagrin of many fans on here who have been hyping the guy as the the next big thing, I was glad that HCBS didn't shake up his big man rotation and cut minutes from Cole and the Twins to insert Withey into the game until the very end. I know everyone is on the Jeff Withey bandwagon, but if it ain't broke don't fix it, and 38 points on 13-19 shooting (68.4%), 36 boards, 6 assists and 8 blocks between Cole & the Twins clearly indicates it is anything but broken. And as was pointed out during the game, it is nice to know that against a good team we were able to dominate despite almost no offensive production from our best player Sherron.

Things that are a concern and will surely be harped on by Coach Self: while some of it can be attributed to our defense, Missouri shot an abysmal 33%, and we could have had a real dog fight on our hands given all our turnovers if Missouri had came in shooting hot. As Coach Self was saying, most of our turnovers were unforced (not a result of their press or traps), so while encouraging that we can handle the pressure we have to take better care of the ball. Cole needed to get more looks. Period. And as much of a star as Marcus Morris is becoming, it sure would be nice if he could finish more of his shots in close.

All in all, a home game against a rival is a good tune-up for a road game against another rival. Bring on the kittens!

bowers79 4 years, 6 months ago

So many of our kids had great games tonight. Morningstar was very impressive I thought. Great assists and taking it to the hoop, very nice Brady. It felt good to see everyone healthy and out there playing Kansas ball again, it's surprises me how good we really can be when it all comes together. Great job Hawks, look forward to some more of the same come Saturday.

kushaw 4 years, 6 months ago

General: Anybody else like Bobby Knight doing commentary for the games? I think he's fantastic when it comes to knowledge of the game and what is going on in certain situations on the court. I thought Knight said it perfectly last night during the course of the game that every team is going to have a 3-5 game stretch over a 30 game period where they have their moments. He said it's how the good teams handle those stretches is indicative on how the rest of your season will go. I think that is a very true statement.

With that said, I think KU probably hit their "Moment" against Cornell, Tennessee, and Nebraska.  I think the team is playing a lot better (Not where I completely want them to be but they are playing better) and you can see guys getting more comfortable, gaining confidence, and understanding this team a little more.  There are 3 players I want to start with because I think they played really well last night and I think fans have been the most concerned with Cole Aldrich, Tyshawn Taylor, and X.

I honestly thought Mizzou would give KU a better game than they gave last night.  I know Mizzou is young, but I thought the game would be a lot closer.  With that said, credit KU for preparing well on a short break in between games.  Even though Mizzou's crazy style doesn't really benefit KU in the long-run or really make them better in their half-court sets, I thought KU's transition game was excellent.  Aldrich was an outlet machine and the guards were doing a fantastic job on their 3 on 2 and 2 on 1 fast breaks.  Maybe Aldrich will be drafted simply on his effectiveness to outlet the ball, much the same way Kevin Love use to do it at UCLA.  I am sure Mizzou will be ready when they return the favor in the last regular season game.  Can't wait.

Cole Aldrich: Anybody else excited to see the fire Aldrich played with last night? I am pumped! Even though Mizzou is a hard game to judge, I thought Aldrich for the first time in a long time played with energy, enthusiasm, and just wanted to play basketball. It showed last night as he got almost every board and ended the first half 12. To me, it looks like Aldrich's offensive moves are quicker and more crisp when going either direction. That spin move on the baseline was totally unexpected, but I was like "Yeahhhhhhhhhh". He did get blocked on the other side of the rim, but it was great to see. I was just very impressed with Aldrich last night and I hope he keeps it up for K-State on Saturday. That is going to be the test of the season to see where this team really is.

kushaw 4 years, 6 months ago

Tyshawn Taylor: I was very impressed with Taylor last night. I think he is handling his role change very very well. It truly is amazing how when you lose something on how much harder you work to get it back. You can tell Taylor wants his starting spot back, but I think Taylor is playing great in his new role coming off the bench. I thought Taylor is picking his spots very well and getting to the rack when he wants to. With that said, I thought the first charging call on Taylor was absolutely bogus as the defender was clearly under the basket. That should have been a 3 point play and I completely side with Taylor on that one. The second charging call was actually a charge and I agree with the official on that one. Taylor should have pulled up a little sooner with that running one hander like he did in the first half. One last thing, and this is a small negative, but Taylor came off a great screen in the second half and received the ball right under the free throw line in the middle of the lane. I think he was shocked he was so open, but he needs to pull that 14 footer. He did a pump fake, but no one was around him to bite on the fake. He took it in to traffic and we eventually did scoring to points, but it was off a couple of put-backs. All in All, I know Taylor is still in Self's doghouse at the moment, but I am encouraged with his play the last couple of games from him. He'll be a better player when all this is said and done.

Sherron Collins: I should just type this after everygame good or bad. I am not worried about Collins nor will I ever worry about Collins. You could tell he was a little frustrated tonight, but Mizzou's crazy style won't let opposing guards to really go off. Half the time, they are running the break and making passes out of the press. Collins is fine and had a bad shooting night, but Collins wasn't really needed in a game like this. Collins job in a game like this is to take care of the ball and get the ball up the court and break the press so his other teammates can finish at the rim. Yes, Collins was lazy with some of his passes, but Collins has earned the right to have a bad game. He will be fine! Also, I don't like Collins taking the ball out of bounds on in-bounds plays. He's too small to see over all that mess that is going on in front of him. I think the oppostion can pick up some steals if they put a big man on the out of bounds against Sherron. That's what I would do if I was scouting. Then I would simply switch the screen once inbounded.

kushaw 4 years, 6 months ago

X: I know we all say and write "X" here in the message board world, but do you all really like it when Brent Musburger refers to him as "X" on the court doing play by play? I don't know, it sounds funny to me and it always makes me think that Malcom X has come back to us or something. I don't know, it sounds weird to me when I hear it on TV.

Anyway, I don't know about the rest of you, but I am encouraged with what I am seeing from X.  I know he is still playing great or shooting the ball well, but I am encouraged with a couple of things.  He is driving better and although he still looks a little awkward doing it, you can tell he has been working on that aspect of his game the last 2.5 weeks.  He had that great feed to Aldrich for the dunk at the start of the game.  X got the shaft on that break away lay-up where he got hit on the arm, but he looked like he was in "Slow-Mo" getting to the hoop.  He completely slowed down to let the defender catch up to him, the only problem is he looked over his wrong shoulder.  That's okay because next time he is going to go full speed and dunk the ever living bejesus out of it.

I also think X's dribbling is getting better.  Even though he is doing some nonsense dribbling out on the perimeter not really going anywhere, I actually don't mind it because you can use your dribble to set up an entry pass into the post.  You just have to be more careful taking care of the ball.  I think with X dribbling a little bit more on the perimeter it is allowing him to get in the flow of the game in his own way.  I don't know, it sounds weird, but I think that is his way of getting involved in the game.  I think it's good because he's trying out new things.  I am very encouraged with X trying new things over the course of the season and you can tell he is trying his tail off to make us fans all happy.  IMHO, I think the college game is a little more difficult than what X anticipated and it's taking him a little longer to adjust.  That's okay because in the end I am happy with some of the little things he is doing to get better.

Reed: Not much to say about Reed other than the kid works his tail off and does what he is suppose to do. Love that kid! He knocked down open shots and had a terrific game. I loved the alley-oop from Taylor. I wasn't sure how that play was going to end up, but Reed did a great job finishing even though it was a little awkward. Great Game Reed!

Robinson: He made that boneheaded play where it almost cost KU a goaltend and 3 point play when he tried to block that shot, but his arm or finger got caught on the net and he pulled down the goal. Self was none to pleased and you didn't see much of Robinson after that. He picked up a couple of boards. I still love the kid and he's going to be great, but he's just got to let the game slow down for him. He'll be fine.

MplsHawk 4 years, 6 months ago

I chuckled to see Cole grab the mop to help clean the floor. I'm guessing he was inspired by having visited Target Center in his Minnesota days and having seen multi-millionaire and all star Kevin Garnett do the same thing. Just wanted to keep the game going. One of many things that endeared Garnett to local fans. Cole could do a lot worse for role models.

kushaw 4 years, 6 months ago

The Twins: I've always said the remedy for success with Marcus is 8-11 FG attempts per game. Well, he was 6-10 again last night for 17 points and that marks the fifth straight game of having 8 or more FG attempts. Marcus is playing awesome! I love his half-post he does from 8-12 feet and I really think that little post has opened up his all-around game. I wish they would start using X in some half-post situations, but one thing at a time for Mr. X. I can't say enough about Marcus at the moment. However, I think K-State is going to be the true test for KU's front-line especially for Marcus and Aldrich. I think this game this Saturday is a potential season marker for both of these guys. Not trying to put pressure on them, but I want to see how they do against another great frontline on the road in a hostile enviornment. I can't wait to see how Marcus responds.

Kieff is playing fantastic.  I think Kieff has better hops than his brother.  Kieff is getting better and better every game and his post moves are looking very crisp.  Big game for him on Saturday as well.  Kieff is mean when he rebounds that ball and I like to see that on the defensive end.  Props to Kieff for really understanding his role at the moment.  Kieff is definitely making his mark on this time.  Great job Kieff.

Morningstar: Well, I was having a debate with a couple of posters about whether or not Brady is athletic. We were talking about Athleticism and what truly defines athleticism. I actually was saying before the Mizzou game that Brady is more athletic than people give him credit for. I think he is quicker than people give him credit for. All in all, I think people short change Morningstar way too often and way too much. I thought it was really funny when Bobby Knight was talking about how Brady made a real athletic play when he broke the press and jumped to the side of the defender for the finger tip roll in off the backboard. I also thought the same thing on his other drive to the basket. I don't know, I think Morningstar is one of the players fans just take for granted and scratch their head at how good Morningstar really is. Sooner or later people are going to understand this. Yes, Morningstar made some boneheaded turnovers last night, but the press will do that sometime, but Morningstar made up for it. Great Game Brady!

kushaw 4 years, 6 months ago

Conclusion: At the moment it looks like Self is at an 8 man rotation with him picking his spots with Robinson as the 9th to steal some minutes here and there. I think Robinson and Withey will be the 9th rotating member depending on how the other bigs do in terms of foul trouble. The K-State game on Saturday is where you could potentially see more time from Withey and Robinson.

All in All, I think KU is playing great and they have gotten a lot better over the last 3 or 4 games.  I really do think the K-State game on Saturday is a test that KU win or lose will need to still play well to have that momementum and confidence for post-season play.  I think K-State is going to play their A game and I am looking forward to how KU executes against a very tenacious defense.  It's getting better ladies and gents, but K-State on Saturday is the ultimate mid-season test to see how far the Jayhawks have really come.

beawolf 4 years, 6 months ago

jayhawkintexas,

The rumor is that JW's knee acted up vs ISU and he was hurting a little. Considering the pace and score of the game, it was probably best to sit him until the end. I still think he's going to add another dimension to this team before the season's over.

Although Collins had an off night, I think he realized he did not have to do it by himself and became a true point guard.

Henry is still struggling. Other than his 3's, he had a bad night. 5 turnovers, poor shot selection and 3-8 shooting. I liked the 8 man rotation and the sub pattern Self used last night. I think the team finally has an identity.

Kye Clark 4 years, 6 months ago

kushaw - agreed on Taylor. We know we're going to get solid play from Brady, and bringing in TT either to run the point when Sherron needs a breather or to fill in for Brady offers a great change of pace. Regarding Cole, I was also excited to see him have a great game, although I thought the Iowa State game was his coming out party and this was just him keeping it going. Still needs to be getting more shots. As far as Sherron is concerned, I agree. No worries. He steps up when he needs to, and is content to let everyone else grow and improve when he's not.

kushaw 4 years, 6 months ago

Mistake: In the first setence about X. It should say "X is still NOT playing great".

BCRavenJHawkfan 4 years, 6 months ago

In that picture of Cole you could put a rifle in that outstretched hand and you have John Brown!

A nice victory. And since "opinions" have been shared, I offer mine. Best part of the offense was working against the press and transition. Half court offense did not grab me and say wow except in a few situations when the ball went inside and the double team was recognized and expoited.

On the pressing. Maybe it is just me but it seems only Brady, Tyrel and Sherron will get the ball to the middle of the floor as soon as possible. All the others want to go to the corner, go up the side and get trapped. In all fairness even Sherron had that happen at least once. Why do players do this?

kushaw, I too thought Cole was pumped and had energy to burn. Plus he was mentally into this game. His recognition of full court pressure and helping secure inbound passes (again to the middle of the floor) was clinic.

And Marcus, what a turn around this guy has made. I do wish he would throw it down better, only because he can absolutely go after rebounds. But he has made up for it with a very nice midrange shot. I wish more of the guys could develope that (Xavier are you listening).

Any way, lots of good stuff (always is when you win) and a good deal to improve before Saturday.

Phoggin_Loud 4 years, 6 months ago

They seem to be gelling at the right time. The BIG'S came up BIG!! 56-28 rebounding advantage!! WOW!!!

Sally Presson 4 years, 6 months ago

What a game, lets have the same intensity Saturday with K-State. Cole and the twins were wonderful. One gripe I have, if those announcers refer to Brady's DUI one more time I'm going to scream!!! He took his punishment and is playing outstanding and I think they need to stop it!! And especially on national TV. Good grief, how long are we going to hear about this and how long is Brady going to have to endure the constant comments? Way to go Jayhawks!!! You were outstanding!!! Rest up this week and be ready for a cat fight in Manhattan. Beating MU & KSU in one week---doesn't get any better than that!

Rick Arnoldy 4 years, 6 months ago

Anyone else think that X's shot release is slow? He's hitting them in college but he won't get that shot off in the NBA.

bradynsdad 4 years, 6 months ago

kushaw i agree with you about the general. he cracks me up with his comments about the officials. also you learn quite a bit by listening to him i know his insight has raised my basketball i.q.

Kye Clark 4 years, 6 months ago

sallyp - I think you're overreacting to the DUI reference. First and foremost, while it was a mistake and is definitely regrettable, that's just the way it goes. You do something like that, an action that presents potentially disastrous real-world consequences beyond the realm of basketball, it follows you around. As athletes at a program like Kansas that is part of the deal. Your actions are scrutinized. Just ask Tyshawn Taylor. If you don't want people talking about it there are two solutions. One, don't do them. Two, don't play at Kansas. Brady knows it goes with the territory. Secondly, Mussburger didn't bring it up to disparage him. People that don't follow KU as closely (i.e. those tuning into a nationally televised game) might have not seen him in a game earlier this year. So while he served his punishment in the form of a first semester suspension, bringing it up was more to serve as a context as to why he is playing now and maybe why we as a team are playing better now. Also, if it's a case of you just being upset that the announcers are bringing up past transgressions, where's the outrage over bringing up Taylor's involvement with the football team skirmish? Or his alleged facebook comments? He's being benched, wouldn't that qualify as taking his punishment? I'm not piling on Brady, just saying it's part of the announcers' jobs and I really don't think it's that bad

Mike Kendall 4 years, 6 months ago

kushaw-- Taking over for jaybate--but I still like to read your posts--very well said. In answer to one of your questions, I love Bob Knight doing our games. He was quite funny, at times! Almost as funny as Chuckberry32--chuck--I love you, man!!!!! I think Bob Knight likes the Jayhawks a lot and is becoming one of his favorite teams to analyze. Finally, for me, the MVP goes to Tyrell Reed. I know Marcus and Cole had good games--Brady had a fantastic game--his shot before the halftime buzzer was awesome--but Reed is a glue guy. I love his shot--it is pure and pretty to watch. Jayhawks have the inside game and the outside game, and so, a team like Syracuse, who plays that nasty zone all the time, could get burned by our outside shooting.

Good luck in Manhattan, Jayhawks!!!!!!

kushaw 4 years, 6 months ago

"Not that this subject even needs to be commented on now, but is there anybody out there who still thinks Cole reminds them of Chenowith?"

Okay, the name "Chenowith" makes me cringe and "Aldrich" makes me want to jump up Kenny Gregory style.

I think the board Aldrich got when he ripped it out of two Mizzou defenders and had b-line outlet pass was indicative of the difference between Aldrich and Chenowith. There is not a comparison and hopefully nobody will every mention Chenowith again. Yikes, I just cringed again.

kushaw 4 years, 6 months ago

mikenadal: I only get "Jaybate Like" for post games analysis. That is my favorite part-disecting the game and really figure out where the team got better and where the team needs to work on things.

I could only wish I could come up with clever posts and complete originality as Jaybate does. He's a pretty unique poster. My strength is the understanding of the game and the components work. That is the only thing I know.

kushaw 4 years, 6 months ago

Darn it! One thing I wanted to comment about Taylor that allows me to feel really encouraged about him through all of his struggles ..................The last second shot by Morningstar to end the half, Taylor was one of the first kids (A couple others were right there) congratulating Morningstar with a flying chest bump at center court. A kid sulking in his own selfishness would not take the time or energy to show that excitement towards a player who has replaced him in the starting lineup.

Mike Kendall 4 years, 6 months ago

kushaw-- Totally agree! Keep doing what you do best!!!!! RCJH!!!

Phoggin_Loud 4 years, 6 months ago

Anthonyzal,

Agreed. There is no comparison to Cole & Chenowith.

Cole dominated the paint to the point that MU quit going to the rim. The sideline gal last night commented that Coach Anderson asked his kids why they don't drive to the rim more. The answer is Cole. He intimidated them with early blocks. They only had 18 points in the paint, even with Cole sitting out with some foul trouble.

Chenowith was a nice player, along the lines of Pekka Markennan (Remember him??), but his claim to fame is more about the verbal spars with Doug Gottlieb...Not dominating the post.

ParisHawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Just piling on here, but out of all your good remarks there are four specific points I really like : - Cole is turbo-charging our transition offense with scary good outlet passes. Could this be an area where he has clearly improved over last year? Man is his head in the game now. - Marcus' midrange game. - Inside passing, big to big. - Xavier is doing good things and bad things, but he is doing more different TYPES of good things. That raises hope for more progress. Like Rush, he is so much less a prima donna than feared.

beawolf 4 years, 6 months ago

Sallyp,

Morningstar's DUI will be his scarlet letter forever. It's not going away. To me a DUI is a major criminal act that often leads to the death of someone innocent. Brady was lucky, but I hope he (and all of us) are constantly reminded of the stupidity and potential for tragedy of driving while drunk.

MGJayhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

kushaw - Bobby Knight is NOT good for ESPN. All he does is talk about how "he" would do things and how "his" teams would run offense. WE DON'T CARE ROBERT! He's a funny dude, but horrible color man. He was referring to Duke and he keps saying "Kyle Singler and the other guard need to...." I hope he was referring to John Scheyer, but how the hell does he just say "the other guard"? He needs to be the 3rd broadcaster with 2 experts during a game and not a primary.

Not directed to kushaw but WE NEED TO GET EJ MORE MINUTES!!!! He's a great ball handler, atheletic, can jump, defend, shoot and drive. WTF HCBS!!!

oldalum 4 years, 6 months ago

kushaw: regarding Musberger saying X on the air, he probably got it from hearing Self and the team talk, because that's what they call him. I agree that it seems presumptious to have someone who doesn't know a player personally call them by their nickname. Who was the announcer that used to call Arthur "Shady" all the time? Dave Armsrong? Sounds like he's trying to be one of the guys. I realize we do this on the board all the time, but that's more like shorthand. Who wants to spell it out?

KU 4 years, 6 months ago

We must have been watching a different game. I thought neither Tyshawn nor X played well, let alone average.

X shot a better from 3. But he only had 1 shot attempt inside the arc, and he shot zero free throws. For us to be really good, we need him to score more off offensive rebounds and get to the line 5 or 6 times a game because that means he's being aggressive and hitting the boards hard. He did get 7 rebounds last night, which was a positive, but he turned the ball over so many times it offset his rebounding. He is improving on the defensive end, but has a ways to go.

Tyshawn was aggressive looking for his shot, using 33% of the team's possessions when he was in the game. But he, too, was horrendous with ball security, ending with 4 turnovers in 13 minutes played. At least he got to the line 4 times, which is more than X can say. Tyshawn is very maddening on the defensive end. He could be so good on defense, if he would just keep his head in the game. Way too many mental lapses in only 13 minutes. It looks like Self has finally decided that Tyshawn is too erratic to have on the floor more than 15 minutes per game.

BCRavenJHawkfan 4 years, 6 months ago

ohioburg, His (Xavier's) release is slow, the shot is slow, it's one of the reasons Brackins was able to block it from five feet away last Saturday.

bradynsdad 4 years, 6 months ago

i know this is off the subject but espn drives me nuts when their only coverage is about the nfl. i check espn everyday and they would cover an injury report of a third string player in march before they would the ncaa tournament. even today their cover story is about favre nothing about any basketball played.

kushaw 4 years, 6 months ago

Jayhawk Fans: Tonight is a big night in college basketball and the one game ESPN should be televising won't be televised unless you have the ESPN Full Court package. If you get a chance, you should go to a bar or find a way to watch the Baylor/KSU game tonight in Waco.

For those that don't know this is a crucial week for both Baylor and Kansas State and it could indirectly effect KU and Texas. Baylor and KSU play tonight, but Baylor plays Texas on Saturday and we all know KSU plays KU on Saturday. IMHO Baylor and KSU both need to go 1-1 this week in order to stay in the hunt for the Big 12 race. If both go 1-1 than that would mean either Texas or KU loses on Saturday and that could be a very good possibility.

There is also a great possibility of Baylor and or KSU going 0-2 this week which would give either team 4 losses in conference and sub .500 mark which we would be a terrible climb to get out of. If you are interested, you should take the time to find the Baylor/KSU game tonight because it's going to be a battle and whomever wins is definitely going to have a leg up over the other.

Kye Clark 4 years, 6 months ago

KU - I don't think you're far off with the comment about watching a different game. We all view things differently. Some fans go into games and see everything through rose-colored glasses; no one can do any wrong. Some fans think they are honing their analyzation skills for a gig at ESPN and watch the games over and over to break down every possession and aspect of every players' game. Some of us go into these games very pessimistic, with preconceived notions and are critical of certain players. There are Brady haters, Tyshawn haters, X haters. And by haters I don't mean literally, but in general just strain to find faults instead of seeing the good or the progression. I'll be the first to admit that it took me a LONG time to get on the Brady bandwagon. When he returned from suspension I didn't want him to get more than 7-10 minutes/game. Much of this was based on last year when he played the 3. I will still argue he is not a 30 mpg starter on a championship team if playing the 3. However, under HCBS's glue position of the 2, he is great.

There are those that are overly-critical of X. Whether it's because some fans soured on him during his recruiting process, or if it's because he came on like gangbusters to start the year and now expectations are just ridiculously high, or if fans are just opposed to OAD players in general. Whatever the reason, he just seems to be the target of some fans' ire. There have been posters clamoring for Coach to bench X, thinking that will fix his shot. Well, he shot 42.5% from 3 last night, and continues to play good defense, so something else must have been sub-par. Everyone forgets he's a freshman, and how many freshman EVER have come through Lawrence and had the complete package? He has obviously worked very hard on his defense, and it's only natural that as a young player other parts of his game might not come along as quickly as the one he is focusing on. I would imagine Coach told him he has to work the most on his defense so that he is not a liability for us come March, and right now I'd say he's an above average defender, and not just for a freshman. Not too shabby for a guy who admittedly didn't play defense in high school. As for the suggestion to bench him, I'll ask again...who should start/take the majority of the minutes at the 3? Brady's already excelling at the 2, Marcus is turning into a superstar at the 4. The only option is to play either really big or really small, and those gimmick line-ups are fine for short spurts to give guys a breather or exploit a certain match-up, but our best line-up has X at the 3.

Kye Clark 4 years, 6 months ago

Obviously Tyshawn can be a knucklehead. As the announcers pointed out that Coach Self said, he can't get out of his own way sometimes. That being said, I was fairly encouraged with his play. I thought he played very good defense, I must have missed the mental lapses you were talking about. He drove to the basket well. As for taking care of the ball, 2 of his 4 turnovers were on charges, and one was a bogus call. And in regards to TT's turnovers (and X's for that matter), who wasn't turning the ball over? Tyrel I guess, but otherwise every one of our ball handlers had problems tonight. I'm not saying that either TT or X are by any means finished products, but I was encouraged by what I saw last night.

I guess in the end we all need to realize there are many different factions of KU fans. There's the Brady Brigade. The ones clamoring for Withey to get more minutes. Or CJ, or EJ. The ones who in general are always excited about the newcomers. Those who anytime a player is in a funk are quick to suggest line-up changes. Those who even when the team is playing good are always coming up with different line-ups. While I definitely have opinions myself, I always find the best course of action is to remember that HCBS and his staff know far better than I do what's best for this team and how best to prepare them for success.

kushaw 4 years, 6 months ago

icthawkfan: Great Post! Everybody has their own little flavor! LOL! By the way, I'm interviewing for ESPN next week. LMAO! They actually do have part of their headquarters right here in Charlotte, NC so that is actually not as far-fetched as it seems although it won't be happening. LOL! Great Post!

michaelaho 4 years, 6 months ago

Are bigs played well last night, but there was a good reason for it. Mizzou has no big men, so it wasn't much of an accomplishment. Let's not get too excited, KU has a lot of work to do if were going to pass the 2nd round of the tournament.

DocBean 4 years, 6 months ago

Am I the only one that wishes KUsports would limit comments to 300 characters or less??? A limit on posts per day would be great too.

I don't know why so many people are writing novels and expect anyone to read them. If you can't make your point in about 4-5 sentences, then go get yourself a sports talk radio show.

michaelaho 4 years, 6 months ago

Our....jeess nice English. Not good.

ParisHawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Didn't there used to be basketball leagues where the maximum height was six feet? Maybe KUSports could have a separate comment page limited to 6 posts of 6 sentences per day :)

Two suggestions for more enjoyable reading:

• Attack the post, not the poster.

• Attack the play, not the player.

Kye Clark 4 years, 6 months ago

DocBean - if you don't like them don't read them. Pretty simple logic. I don't think anyone "expects" you to read them. Sometimes I feel like reading the longer ones, sometimes I don't. I fail to see the complaint, either you read them or scroll down. Have you worn out your mouse scrolling down past the longer posts?

Tony Bandle 4 years, 6 months ago

DocBean..good job with a total 251 characters.

That will give you at least four times to type "bah, humbug"

Don't like 'em.....don't read 'em.

OUT!!!

Tony Bandle 4 years, 6 months ago

St.Louis Sports Talk Radio was commenting on Bill with admiration as to how he handled what's her name at the break when asked about getting his team refocused after "Brady's lucky shot" by responding " I thought it was kinda cool!!"

You've got to love this guy was their response!!!!!!!

jaybate 4 years, 6 months ago

DocBean,

No one expects someone like you to read posts. What kind of bizarre form of self-delusion do you think we labor under? :-)

Seriously, some persons like Twitter-posts and others enjoy something longer. I actually write and read both. Quality of insight, rather than shortness, or longness, attracts and holds my attention.

Frankly, I find many of the Twitter-posts as annoying as you do the long stuff.

My response to some (but hardly most) of the Twitter-posts is: if that was all you had to say, why not just zip it?

But, unlike you, I am not pretentious enough to tell other persons how to post.

A difference between you and many on this issue distills to this: you whine about what other posters do, while I and others do not.

I believe ours is the more sensible and grown-up POV, and probably the majority position, also. Perhaps you should explore what early childhood experiences drive your need to tell others what length their posts should be. But that might be a costly, 7-year odyssey. Better to just hit Page Down. :-)

Rock chalk.

jaybate 4 years, 6 months ago

OakvilleJHawk,

Did Bill Self really say that?

Awwwwwwwwwwesome!!!!

It goes in the come-back hall of fame!

trueblue9 4 years, 6 months ago

Very impressive win last night with SC playing poorly. Agree with those saying that X and TT are still not playing great, but the difference is that we need X to fight through and believe that he can improve greatly, while I'd rather just see other players get TT's minutes. Great to see Cole playing better and hope BS rewatches the ISU tape and puts him and Withey in there together again at some point, even if just for some sort stretches to switch it up. In any case, things are looking up and there's no reason to believe this season can't end up with the guys cutting down some nets.

Coach Knight is simply not a good tv color guy. He treats the audience as though its watching bball for the first time, he repeats himself constantly and cannot remember players' names in many situations. There's a reason that people go to broadcasting school, I would trade clear concise thought for Knight's coaching insights anytime.

cklarock 4 years, 6 months ago

@DocBean: I read some, and skim others, but I'm glad that they have the room to express themselves. I appreciate hearing other fan's points of view, and some of the posters here make good points.

jaybate 4 years, 6 months ago

drgnslayr,

I believe Coach Self will go off on hacks of Xavier, if we see any more of it, after a few more games. But Self knows X is soft and X is the one guy Self has not been able to figure out a way to toughen up yet.

X is needed to score too many points per game for Self to go after him the way he has Tyshawn. Tyshawn, under Self's needle, now no longer knows whether to excrete or stand up. And Quantum T may not until February, when Self starts putting him back together again. Tyshawn is getting the kind of psychic toughening that Self thinks Tyshawn needs. It is an ugly thing to watch, but if Tyshawn can hold up under it long enough, Self will connect Tyshawn up to his inner warrior.

Alas, Self can't afford to break Xavier down this year. He needs Xavier to retain what little confidence X has right now, so he can keep X's ppg from circling the drain.

Self has to rely on opponents to toughen X up. Self has to have been hoping for X to get roughed up the way that MU hack roughed X up.

The KSU game is apt to be a tipping point on this process. KSU almost certainly will get physical with X. Going after X right now is the easiest way to clip 7-10 points off KU's offensive production. And X's confidence is low enough right now that he could be completely taken out of the offense with sufficient application of mean streets muscle.

I suspect that if KU has a decent lead in the KSU game and KSU roughs X up, Self will again look the other way, hoping for X to have a game kind of like Cole's first game against Nebraska last year.

But if the game is close, or KU is behind, then Self will get on with protecting him with referee baiting to try to win the game.

Frankly, the main reason X should come back next year is to go through toughening with Self. Self never toughens freshman. He never sticks the needle all the way into the quick with them.

Of course that is also the reason X will probably jump. X would rather have the money than the needle to the quick that Tyshawn is getting. In the long term, the needle to the quick makes for a better pro career. But few live with eyes on the long term anymore.

jaybate 4 years, 6 months ago

kushaw,

Brady is incredibly athletic. How else does a guy 6'3" tall playing the 3 help a team get to the Sweet 16 his first year of playing big minutes? Now that he is not having to play out of position at the 3 all the time, his athleticism is getting a chance to shine.

He is quick.

He is an excellent jumper.

Great anticipation.

A fabulous motor.

He has only two true weaknesses that prevent him from being a go-to guy.

First, he does not have great body control once airborne. He is bouncy, rather than balletic. This limits his ability to get to the rim under control. He can get up with anyone. But he can't stay under control in the air.

Second, he does not have a lightening first step on the dribble.

If he ever shows me he has either of these abilities, then he could become a 15-20ppg guy whenever Self decides to use him that way.

Could he develop these two weak parts of his game?

I believe he could. Gifted athletes like Brady can do many things once they are aware they need to.

I really think an off season of working with KU's gymnastics coach and team, or perhaps KU's diving coach, could really help Brady with body control in the air.

Alas, this would be ground breaking work. No program currently systematically develops airborne body control of basketball players that I know of yet. Too bad. A lot of good jumpers are wasted because of this. Maybe Andrea Hudy could work on this. She seems progressive and creative. But more likely it is the gymnastics coaches that could help Brady. Frankly, though, it would probably be best of all to work with a ballet teacher, if Brady can handle that. The great male Russian ballet dancers all were great athletes who could master airborne body control. Brady is built to some extent like Baryshnikov, though Baryshnikov probably had greater upper body strength. If Brady cannot get into a systematic program to master body control, ramping up his upper body strength to a par with his leg strength might go a long ways to giving him the balanced musculature one needs to be graceful in the air.

If he cannot improve these shortcomings, then he has to settle for being one of the best glue guys KU ever had--not a bad thing to settle for.

kushaw 4 years, 6 months ago

Jaybate: I read your original post about Brady on the Tyrel article today. I agree with you 100 percent about Brady Morningstar. I have long been a big fan of his and it's great to see him prove all the naysayers wrong.

Reading your post today was just good timing because several posters have a big discussion about that this week on cbssports.com kansas page.  I've said all along that not only does Brady have a great basketball IQ, but he is deceptively quick and is athletic enough to compete at the two or three against anybody in college basketball.

I really think Brady is sold short in this category and isn't give enough credit.  That brings back to my initial question on what actually defines "Athleticism"?  Or, rather, what is the actual perception of "Athleticism" that people really want?

Is Brady Morningstar going to be jumping over mountains to dunk the basketball like Kenny Gregory use to do?  Hell no, but you know what?  I'll take Brady Morningstar anyday of the week over Kenny Gregory to start my basketball team.  Again, Brady Morninstar is everything you said, Jaybate.  However, most people are more enamored by the fact that Kenny Gregory was a McDonald's All-American that could dunk the ever living bejesus out of the ball.

Kenny couldn't dribble, shoot, or think quick enough to make a good basketball play, yet he could do a 360 dunk between his legs that was magnificent.  Did you see that dunk by Kenny?  Now that is an athlete, but if were all being honest he wasn't that great of an all-around basketball player.

I agree with everything you said, Jaybate, but I think peoples perception of "Athleticism" is a term that is too loosely used.  Just because you're athletic doesn't mean you're a good basketball player.  Just because you're unathletic doesn't mean you can't be a good basketball player.  It's an interesting debate.

If you wanted to take it a step further, Jaybate, how much does Morningstar being a 24 year old help at the moment.  I think for a late bloomer like Morningstar, it was essential and he made great decisions on following his dream by going to prep school after high school, red-shirting, and now getting his turn and opportunity.  I think it's a great story and people need to stop cutting Brady short and start accepting his positive play for this team.  Just my two cents.

jbrownjib 4 years, 6 months ago

All is great when ever we kick the tar out of Mizzery!

Mike Kendall 4 years, 6 months ago

kushaw, jaybate, fan316 and whoever else that have long posts---I will read them not matter what--everyone has a point to get across--but like Oakvillejhawk says, "if you don't like them, don't read them." I enjoy reading the posts, especially the informative ones. OH, I maybe forgot ralser, too! Sorry, ralster--that I didn't include you on the original list.

Hawkin8r 4 years, 6 months ago

+1 on Bob Knight covering the games. His insight on the game is always interesting and he offers a lot of good tidbits that only a former (good) coach could bring. But Brent Musberger has GOT TO GO. I see why they paired him with Knight since he's seems to be a vacuous word machine which allows him to ask stupid questions just to keep the General talking. But unfortunately he comes across as an ignorant windbag.

Hawktacular 4 years, 6 months ago

Sherron, Cole, Marcus, Xavier, Brady, Tyshawn, Markief, Tyrel, Thomas, Jeff, Elijah, and C.J.,

You can and you will make sure Kentucky doesn't get to meet the President. Sherron, Cole, Brady and Tyrel know a thing or two about meeting the President, first of which is you don't arrogantly guarantee that you will meet the President, thus implying you are better than the Kansas Jayhawks. There is a punk freshman telling the basketball world that Kentucky will win it all. Are you going to allow that? You men are on a mission. Stomp everyone that gets in your way...especially any form of Wildcat. We will hang another one. You will meet the President.

Get it done.

Rick Arnoldy 4 years, 6 months ago

I like Knight as well. He provides insight that other analysts don't.

Rock_Chalk_25 4 years, 6 months ago

Marcus Morris as Big XII POY, I'm calling it right now...

michaelaho 4 years, 6 months ago

KU games are great w/ Knight doing the color. You can also play a drinking game w/ him too. Every time he says "bucket" you have to take a drink. I

jaybate 4 years, 6 months ago

Regarding the Bob Knight/Brent Mussberger pairing:

Knight the reputed hitter matched with Mussberger, the fallen (and sort of resurrected) broadcaster. Its kind of intriguing in a polymorphous perverse sort of way.

I keep waiting for some creative KU student to mash up a pic with Photoshop showing Brent nude, bent over at the waist, with an S&M ball gag and Knight towering over him in a dominatrix bustier with whip and a balloon to Knight reading, "I am the master, Brent, and you are my slave!"

Bob Knight and Dick Vitale appear to have used each other for a couple years to ensure both got into the BHOF, and now they've washed their hands of each other, as all great users quickly do.

But I felt better when they were soiling each other's images, rather than unleashing Bob on Brent. Brent has paid his dues to society for showing ingratitude to Black Rock so long ago in his salad days. Must Brent be made Bob's whipping boy now? Brent is an old man now. Hasn't Brent suffered enough?

Apparently not.

Jack Wilson 4 years, 6 months ago

KUShaw: I cannot disagree more on Tyshawn. I have to admit, I was wrong on Brady. This guy has made us better. I have to admit, though, I have been dead on right about Taylor all year. Last night was not a good game for him. If one sees it that way, perhaps the bar is too low. He was our worst performer last night of the top 8 (since we give Collins a pass). He had four turnovers, can't finish at the hoop, gets his shot blocked too easily, commits charges, commits stupid fouls (fouls out), and despite his speed, does not effectively push the ball up in transition. One play was an insight into his mindset. It was on a break, he had one of the Morrises to his left, and he tried to take it in and score when a simple dump off would have led to an easy slam. But no, he tries to take it, gets fouled, and couldn't finish. He hit the free throws, but that isn't the point. And his defense was again, just average.

With that said, 13 minutes a game works for me for Taylor. It sure would have been nice if EJ would have gotten more time early, so we could have a chance at a more productive 13 minutes.

FairgroveJayhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

+3 or 4 on Knight as an announcer... depending on what jaybate's stand was; exceptionally funny post by the way.

Knight offers better insight into the game than what the normal 'cliff notes', ESPN announcer can give. He gives great insight that is knowledgeable, straight forward, insightful and honest... and he is a true Big 12 fan.

BCRavenJHawkfan 4 years, 6 months ago

kushaw,

I was able to watch a good portion of that KSU vs Baylor game. I think KSU had to put alot on the floor to get that win. More over I was amazed they did not go into the paint more. At least what I was able to watch.

kushaw 4 years, 6 months ago

BCRaven: I also watched the KSU/Baylor game and it was a fantastic game. I thought Baylor let that one slip away, but I am glad KSU won so KU doesn't feel like they have to ease up on their play come Saturday. I don't think would, but there is always a possibility of a mental letdown.

kushaw 4 years, 6 months ago

Highelitemajor: Agree to disagree, but I think Taylor is playing better in his 13-15 minutes than he was in his 24-30 minutes. Because he is playing so bad in your opinion it's probably a good thing he is only getting 13 minutes. I am going to stick to my guns with my comments above about Taylor.

Jerry Rockhold 4 years, 6 months ago

Where are all the Kentucky "posters" & "posers" now? Couldn't happen to a "nicer" team & coach. :)

Dan Harris 4 years, 6 months ago

Here kitty kitty kitty! I've got some hairball medicine for that gagging sound your making!!!!!!!!!

rballou 4 years, 6 months ago

Seems as though there's a little more fuel for the Blue Fire on Saturday. If KU handles K-State, we will more than likely be back at the rightful rank of #1.

MrPilot 4 years, 6 months ago

Hey, KY_Cats? Where you at? Cryin' in your beer I imagine.

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 6 months ago

2 wins by 19 on Monday....#1 loses to poultry on Tuesday!

Dan Harris 4 years, 6 months ago

jwliddell- they write in kitty litter

bballdiehard 4 years, 6 months ago

I love that we all use the most commented board to comment on the night's games since we'd otherwise have to wait until Midnight for the LJW to post a new article actually relating to the awesome events of the night.

So glad KSU won tonight (so they're at least slightly over-confident for Saturday's matchup). Saturday should be a good matchup, and there's no doubt that the KSU hillbillies will be super fired up for the game, but as long as Cole and Marcus keep playing like they've been playing, I don't see us having any real problem walking away with yet another win. And the best part of that win?

Of course, the fact that we'll once again be the rightful #1 team in the land. With Kensucky's loss to the (11-8, 2-3) Gamecock's, there's no reason they should be ranked higher than any of the other one loss teams remaining. Regardless of how naive, or deluded, it makes me, I really did think we had a chance at going undefeated this season. But since we can't do that, it just feels really nice and cleansing to not have those posers ranked #1 anymore. There's no doubt that they have some talent on that team, but freshman talent does not a #1 team make. And since my undefeated season dream was crushed by Tennessee, I'm having to fall back on my undefeated conference season dream.

Come on Jayhawks! Play ball in the little apple like I know you can. Force the domestic kittens to settle for crappy 3 point shots like they have been lately. Draw fouls against the whiny Clemente and get him T'd up in his own house again like OSU did on Saturday. Embarass those purple players so much that Martin once again has to apologize publically for assaulting a player (not that he really did assault anyone, but it sure was hysterical seeing him apologize for the incident). Take their fans pathetic taunts and turn them into motivation just like you did with Iowa State. Prove once again that even though you had a bad night against Tennessee and a rough patch of games surrounding that bad night, you're not only the #1 team in this conference, but the #1 team in the nation, and the absolute strongest contender for a national title this season.

FTUCH3432 4 years, 6 months ago

As a diehard jayhawk fan and south carolina student, beating Kentucky was a perfect scene. I just got back from the game... (wore a blue rock chalk jayhawk shirt, and had to take crap from the student section for it)

Anyways, I wanted to let you guys know how terrible kentucky looked in person. Cousins looked great but I couldn't stop thinking about how Cole would handle him just fine. Wall seemed to lack any of that swag he is often credited with. South Carolina had Spinella, typically a garbage minute player, guarding him most of the time and Wall was content to be lax and never attack him. It was VERY strange. I've got to believe that Sherron would destroy him. Kentucky was unaggressive and seemed very content to let SC control the tempo of the game. Once Downey broke their press (every single time), Kentucky did very little on defense. SC runs a terrible half-court offense and was simply hitting shots resulting from poor Kentucky defense.

On my way out I made sure to tell a Kentucky official that Calipari is a scumbag and that Kansas is the real #1.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk and Go Cocks!

waywardJay 4 years, 6 months ago

somewhere last week on one of our the many Kusports.com posts.... I suggested South Carolina and Vanderbilt may be 2 straight losses for the wildcats not unlike the matchups against texas.....

Somewhere it's written out there.... And i'm SMiling ear to ear

Brett Glover 4 years, 6 months ago

Anyone up, this might entertain you guys...

http://www.docsports.com/2010/kantucky- basketball-handicapp ing-933.html

kerbyd 4 years, 6 months ago

I hear KY jelly works good for hairballs.