Thursday, February 4, 2010

Keegan

This had odd air about it

Kansas guard Tyrel Reed knocks a loose ball to KU's Marcus Morris with seconds remaining in overtime against Colorado, Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2010 at the Coors Event Center in Boulder.

Reader poll

Who was KU's best player against Colorado?

• Cole Aldrich 65% 1499 votes
  • Brady Morningstar 9% 230 votes
  • Marcus Morris 23% 543 votes
  • Other 1% 31 votes

2303 total votes.

Audio clips

2010 Kansas at Colorado

GameDay Cram Session: Colorado

KUSports.com online editor Jesse Newell and Journal-World sports editor Tom Keegan take a look at what to expect from the Kansas basketball team's matchup against Colorado.

Reader poll

Which ESPN color announcer do you like better?

• Bob Knight 66% 114 votes
  • Bill Raftery 25% 43 votes
  • Undecided 8% 14 votes

171 total votes.

— From the coach to the veteran players, members of the Kansas University basketball team repeatedly have made it clear the No. 1 ranking thrills them not in the slightest in February.

Maybe so, but it means a ton to every opponent on the schedule. It gives each one a cause. For the underdogs, it’s a chance to gain national recognition in the most important way in their worlds, which of course means leading that night’s SportsCenter telecast.

For the Colorado University players, Wednesday represented an opportunity to carve a lifelong memory out of an otherwise mediocre season packed with homecourt victories and road losses.

The cause made the students louder, put a little extra oomph in the talented dance team’s every move and fueled the home players with adrenaline, the perfect ingredient to blend with the looseness that comes with playing on the side nobody thinks has a shot to win.

Conversely, for most of the night, Kansas played without a cause, and it showed. You can’t win one for the Gipper every night.

How in the world did a Colorado team that now has lost as many as it has won take No. 1 Kansas to overtime before losing, 72-66?

The explanations ranged from the especially troublesome altitude to mysterious shooting woes from close range, the free-throw line and beyond.

It was such an eerie night in the Coors Events Center that one strange thought stepped to the forefront of a brain, mine, crammed with so many: Everyone always talks about how much farther the baseball travels in the Colorado altitude, but nobody ever concludes that the basketball does the same.

“I think I’m going to take that, and I’m going to tell coach that’s why we missed all those free throws, the ball was going too long,” said Sherron Collins, who made just six of 17 from the field and misfired on all five three-point attempts.

Collins was joking. Sadly, I wondered if there might be something to the original theory. Remember, people used to think the earth was flat, mocked the first who said otherwise.

The obvious counter to the reality that some of the free-throw misses were so short they were nearly airballs: Visiting players subconsciously become aware of the long-ball theory and compensate by aiming shorter, an adjustment that backfires because legs grow tired more quickly because of the thin air. Tired legs result in short shots.

Unusual circumstances trigger bizarre thoughts. Yet, it’s not as odd as it seems for such a mismatch to become a coin toss. Just last week, now-No. 2 Syracuse defeated overmatched DePaul by just two points.

Heavy-legged and light-headed, Kansas didn’t play a particularly smart game. Tyshawn Taylor’s wild drive and shot hard off the glass seven seconds into the shot clock while protecting a three-point lead with less than three minutes remaining raised the question: Has a player’s role ever been to take a wild shot seven seconds into the shot clock while protecting a three-point lead?

In overtime, the Jayhawks played smarter and embraced a simple cause: win. They did. In the end, that’s all that ever matters.

Comments

Jeff Schartz 4 years, 8 months ago

In the same vein, the lack of oxygen caused Keegs to dream up some more crazy s****! I guess the basketball players weren't the only ones who were off of their game!

Ben Kane 4 years, 8 months ago

while i'm pretty red faced to show up to work in lexington this morning, but the fact remains that we won. Everything else is just fodder for the journalists and message boards. now we just need to get our act in gear and blow out the bugeaters.

kerbyd 4 years, 8 months ago

It was Colorado's great free throw defense that kept them in it.

4 years, 8 months ago

"Has a player’s role ever been to take a wild shot seven seconds into the shot clock while protecting a three-point lead?"

LOL - - probably the most frustrating play of the game to watch.

Kyle Helmer 4 years, 8 months ago

chuckberry-don't be redfaced. CU is probably on par if not better than South Carolina, so I don't think we should be apologizing for a conference road win. KU did what UK did not, and that is survive.

kushaw 4 years, 8 months ago

chuckberry: You shouldn't be red-faced at all. True college basketball fans know that this isn't the Colorado of year's past. This team is better than their 11-11 record indicates. I was very happy and content with this win last night and saw a lot of good things. I will be sporting my Jayhawk gear very loudly tonight as I attend the Virginia Tech/UNC game in Blacksburg. I will be a "Hokie" for one night pretending that I am a Jayhawk.

Kye Clark 4 years, 8 months ago

First of all, KU's #1 ranking is of very little importance to other teams. KU always has a bullseye on their backs. They're KU. We're the lead dog in this conference and one of the top handful of programs in the nation. Colorado, having lost 40 of 41 games to the hawks, certainly was thirsting for a win more than most.

Secondly, it is clear Keegans has a great bias against Tyshawn Taylor (as do many of the posters here). Explain to me how the paragraph detailing Taylor's shot towards the end of regulation fit at all into this article. Or even if you buy the premise that it fits, there was no paragraph asking if there's ever been a player whose role was to throw the ball directly into the hands of an opposing CU player on a 2 on 1 fast break (as Brady did I think just a few minutes before Tyshawn's ill-advised shot). Or the numerous poor post entry passes that sailed out of bounds (Collins & Brady had passes of this nature on consecutive possessions). An ill-advised shot, while not desirable, still has a chance to go in or for us to grab an offensive rebound. Turnovers, either on fast breaks where we have numbers or when feeding the post, are surely worse offenses. Once I realized the bias it completely de-legitimized the Keegan ratings. Failure to view things objectively.

Steve Brown 4 years, 8 months ago

Good for us the March Dance does NOT have a regional bracket via Colorado.

jahawker2004 4 years, 8 months ago

Hey Keegan, you've been here long enough to kow we are not "Kansas University", we are "THE UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS".

Page Butler 4 years, 8 months ago

I have to totally agree with ICTHAWKFAN316. Tyshawn makes some plays sometimes that make you wonder what he was thinking but he makes so many more plays that keep the team winning. I think he has the potential to be not just a good player but also a great player. I think last year there were a lot of us that got on Sherrons case for trying to take over games all on his own and yet this year with more maturity we all sing his praises. Can we all try and keep things in perspective please? Tyshawn is young and yet he is a key to this team.

Where is Xavier lately?

Lacy Mohler 4 years, 8 months ago

Keegan you should ask Collins that question. He has certainly done that a few times in his KU career.

or "Has a player's role ever been to take a wild three shot seven seconds into the shot clock without a teammate under the basket to rebound while protecting a three-point lead?"

Collins could answer that one for you too.

GridironHawk 4 years, 8 months ago

I too have to agree with both of "icthawkfan316" thoughts. KU always gets a teams best shot. When you have won the Big 12 5 years in a row (and 9 out of the 13 years since the Big 12 formed, which is crazy statistics when you really think about it), you have a target on your back every night. As far as Tyshawn's shot, Sherron actually had a far worse shot with a couple minutes left in regulation. Even though I was upset with both shots, its hard to argue with either players decision making. They are players and were trying to make plays for a team that needed a spark. If Tyshawn would have thrown up a three then I could see everyone's argument. However, that is a shot Tyshawn somehow makes over 50% of the time. We have seen it go in time and time again this year (look back to the end of the KSU game).

Tribehawk 4 years, 8 months ago

Tyshawn drives me nuts. He flashes signs of brilliance but then follows them up with plays that nobody in their right mind should be attempting. The shot Keegs mentions doesn't bother me nearly as much as the earlier play where he tried to drive on 4 Buffs all by himself. I think he got bailed out by an iffy foul call, but I simply didn't understand what he was thinking. He goes through these spurts where his court vision totally shuts down, or he stops thinking and plays on instict--but the problem is his instincts are totally wrong. He has great potential and I hope that he continues to make improvements as time goes on, but I have to admit that I get very nervous watching him in the game in tight situtations.

Ben Kane 4 years, 8 months ago

not keegs fault, i believe the LJW has a policy to always refer to us as KU and Kansas University.

milehighhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

jayhawker04 -

you may be correct that we are the "university of kansas" but under the rules of sports writing, we are Kansas University.

(look it up if ya don't believe me - I know, it makes zero sense...)

gchawk 4 years, 8 months ago

KERBYD: I believe you hit the nail on the head, funny stuff. I actually believe it's a testament to how good of team we have that we could play that poorly in many aspects of the game and against a formidable opponent and come out with a win. This game could be very good for us, exposed a few weaknesses that we need to work on.

mphawk27 4 years, 8 months ago

Weird game, but what made it even worse was having to listen to Bill Raftery call it on TV. The things that man says make no sense.

"He's not just a Morningstar, he's an evening star!"

"They just had to get their puppies together."

I've found a few websites that feel the same way about this guy, so at least I'm not alone in my feelings.: http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2008/03/bill-raftery-just-likes-to-be-naked.html http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2008/03/your-championship-week-in-quotes.html

Post any of the ridiculous or funny things announcers have said that you remember in the past as well.

mphawk27 4 years, 8 months ago

I guess that last video doesn't work anymore; I have found a few others that illustrate my point more effectively anyways... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7FVoF... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN-xOo... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPDSCzpgJec

And the original... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqSwZg...

EastBayJay 4 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, Raftery says some weird stuff, where you just go "huh"? But I can say one thing for him, over some other ESPN color commentators I might name, and that is at least he talks about the game going on in front of him.

And he sounded like he was sitting on the KU bench or a KU fan's couch when Tyshawn made that wild drive late: "What are you doing?!" I had to laugh at that. Re: that drive, I think Tyshawn thought he had a clearer path to the bucket. He should have changed gears, gone baseline once they cut him off, and I bet he could have hit a cutter coming down the lane. He needs to start learning to use his quickness to disrupt defenses and then find the open cutter.

RockiesJayhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

Immediately after this ill-advised shot, on the next trip up the floor, while Tyshawn was bringing the ball up the court, Sherron DEMANDED the ball from him before they crossed midcourt. I was sitting in the upper reaches of Allen Fieldhouse West, but even from that vantage point I could see the intensity in Sherron's eyes and almost read his lips. Say what you want about Sherron, but this guy is the absolute heart and soul of this team and I love his leadership and intensity! He reminds me so much of Ty Lawson and I'd love to see Sherron cap his senior year by cutting the nets in Indy!

BrockIII 4 years, 8 months ago

Taylor is eventually going to get "it". He shows signs at times of sheer brilliance but also shows signs of startling ignorance. He makes plays that can win a game, but also make mistakes that can cost the game.

Lately, he has been playing at the same level that got him benched earlier in the year -- he is forcing penetration, trying to go one-on-three on fast breaks. He must return to letting the game come to him and picking his spots. The only problem is that KU currently does not have anyone that is comfortable driving to the basket other than Collins.

Hopefully by tournament time Taylor is looking sharp once again and this team will truly benefit from having another solid slasher.

Kevin Huffman 4 years, 8 months ago

I think in the Nebraska game I'm not only rooting for a HUGE win, but I'm also rooting for X.Henry and T.Taylor to both top 15 pts. each!!!! That would be awesome to get them going.

Kevin Huffman 4 years, 8 months ago

RockiesJayhawk (anonymous) says... "...Tyshawn Taylor’s wild drive and shot hard off the glass seven seconds into the shot clock while protecting a three-point lead with less than three minutes remaining..."

Immediately after this ill-advised shot, on the next trip up the floor, while Tyshawn was bringing the ball up the court, Sherron demanded the ball from him before they crossed midcourt. I was sitting in the upper reaches of Allen Fieldhouse West, but even from that vantage point I could see the intensity in Sherron's eyes and almost read his lips. Say what you want about Sherron, but this guy is the absolute heart and soul of this team and I love his leadership and intensity! He reminds me so much of Ty Lawson and I'd love to see Sherron cap his senior year by cutting the nets in Indy!

***Hardly seems fair to single out Tyshawn here. There was another late possession where we were no more than 10 seconds into the shot clock and Sherron pretty much immediately jacked up a 3 w/ Raftery saying - "I don't think that's the shot they wanted!"

86finalfour 4 years, 7 months ago

86finalfour (anonymous) says... Jay Bilas, ESPN:

" " A great college basketball team." You may have heard me say it and say it many times. And you may think it sounds unkind and trivializing. But it is not. And it happens to be true.

There are no "great" teams in college basketball this season. And there is only one team that has a chance to reach "great team" status before the end of the season, and that team is Kansas. "

Calling Xavier Henry....Xavier Henry!!!!

ChronicHawk2012 4 years, 7 months ago

OK Guys, who wants a quick journalistic sports writing lesson? I do!!!

Alright, it's always Kansas University. Journalism is all about getting the most information out as quickly as possible in the fewest words. The best writers are revered for their innate ability to describe vividly any scene in the fewest amount of words. So, yes, it makes perfect sense to remove a couple pointless words that serve no purpose or move the story further along and that everyone already understands in relation to KU (i.e "the" "of"). Both of those words fail to add extra weight. Therefore, We=Kansas University. Short, well-understood and correct. And yes, we get it. It's THE UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS formally. Doesn't matter here. Its that printing press son. Every little space counts, or did.

Sick of you guys commenting on the merits or the writing or commentary when you've never taken any classes on how to properly write stories, create video, write headlines etc. etc. etc. Let these men do their jobs. Unless you know what you're talking about, good examples being ChuckBerry and MileHighHawk who clearly knew and were able to speak for the audience that this was in fact correct journalistic style. Too many sports fans commenting on ESPN, CBS, here or anywhere about the quality or style of writing without actually understanding one cent about it.

Steve Brown 4 years, 7 months ago

Jaybate where are you, as I suspect you sat in a few Bremner classes 2-3 decades ago, what were his wise words about University of Kansas or Kansas University?

We are not now nor ever have been Kansas University, we are KANSAS or KU or University of Kansas. Journeys from other states use Kansas U. as a derogatory slang.

Dipwad: it's like calling Elizabeth the English Queen.... PS If you say look it up, then the reference is not authorized.

The diploma on my wall does not refer to any phantom place called Kansas University of Oz Land.

kvskubball 4 years, 7 months ago

Geez...all the whining about whether it is KU or something else...in the end, how much does it matter????

Do you understand what they are writing about? Are you somehow confused and think they are talking about Kentucky??? If not, quit being so politically correct, that you sound like some two year...yes it is...no its not, yes it is....blah, blah, blah, or is that whaaa, whaaa, whaaa???? Crybabies...Geez.....

Steve Brown 4 years, 7 months ago

KWSKUBBALL okay you are right getting it right is no big deel.

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 7 months ago

We just want to avoid ANY mistaken identities with UK. No, not the United Kingdom, the University of KY.

There are those who tend to lean more toward the cranial challenged persuasion who would ignorantly refer to our institution as U of K or UK. But, these folks can't be taken too seriously. They know not of what they speak. Announcers are different, however. They are professionals in the field of broadcasting and therefore are held to the highest standards concerning accuracy and articulation.

aerohawk 4 years, 7 months ago

mphawk,

The dumbest thing I ever heard from an anouncer was "this game is going to come down to who can score the most baskets."

kushaw,

What do you do that allows you to go to all these games?

jaybate 4 years, 7 months ago

Some Reasons FTs May Also Not Fall This Weekend in Lawrence Versus NU:

Sadler has his players keep smearing Cornhuskers Lotion on the ball before KU FTs.

NU players plan to drop trow on all 1 ands.

Living and nonliving things are starting to exchange properties--Phillip K. Dick.

Particle emissions from solar spots will reverse the ions of KU players thus disrupting their depth perception.

Bzdelik's USAF connections may secretly stage another test of the microwave crowd control device tested in Boulder--the one that sent subliminal messages like "Miss and you will be rewarded with red hot babes!"

In a once every 500-year cycle, all women with a 5 mile radius of Mt. Oread will be overcome with the urge to undress and say, "You man, me woman, let's party."

Stomping of feet on the metal portions of the AFH's flooring will create a harmonic vibration that will cause the rims to sway over a meter and a half.

Bernadette Gray-Little will honor a lost bet with Lew Perkins that he would not be able to land Turner Gill as head football coach and so has to appear in a KU cheerleaders outfit and shake her pom-pons at every KU free-throw attempt.

Note: All fiction, no malice.

jaybate 4 years, 7 months ago

And Now Its Time for Some Fake KU Trivia:

A little known clause in Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little's $425,000/year contract is that she is entitled to bum lunch (or in the fine print, dinner) money from either of KU's phenomenally highly paid coaches, Turner Gill, or Bill Self, up to four times a month. Chancellor Gray-Little, being nobody's fool, reportedly has plans for quite a bit of overseas "development" work for the university and will reputedly put the pinch on Turner and Bill for dinners at the following restaurants. Prices exclude wine.

Aragawa (Tokyo, Japan) - Aragawa features fine dining in an atmosphere set in dark wood tones with an amazing chandelier, for the sum of $368 per person. Offering Kobe beef, considered the best in the world, Aragawa prepares steaks in the charcoal-broiling method, and formal attire is required.

Alain Ducasse au Plaza Athenee (Paris, France) - For about $231 per meal, an individual can dine at Alain Ducasse on a menu featuring fine seafood and fresh fruits with incredible deserts. This is a popular restaurant with the "jet-setters".

Gordon Ramsey (London, England) - Opened in 1998, this is one of the most expensive restaurants in the world that charges $183 per meal. With only 13 tables in all, Gordon Ramsey in London features classic dishes with the infamous Gordon Ramsey flair.

Acquarello (Munich, Germany) - Arcquarello offers Italian cuisine with a unique twist in a nicely decorated atmosphere for around $125 per meal, and is a very popular dining destination.

(Note: All fiction. No malice intended. For amusing diversion from lousy free throw shooting only.)

Chad Hallack 4 years, 7 months ago

I am loathing yet another overtime game against another inferior team because of missed gimme's and freethrows.

And for all the Tyshawn debate out there, the answer is this. Tyshawn is a very good athlete, a solid defender and after that he's a mediocre ball player lacking mostly in court awareness and mental toughness. Sure, you can pick out instances when Sherron has taken a bad shot or got caught out of control while going to basket resulting in charges/turnovers. But the difference is this...

Sherron has made big play after big play in his career. Big plays that have won games or put us in position to win, including the title game 2 years ago. Mario never gets a chance to tie the game if it's not for a huge steal and an even bigger 3 moments before by S.C. So I can give Sherron some slack (who has, for the most part really cleaned up his game the past two seasons) And Collins was making big plays as a Fresh/Soph. Tyshawn is not. I can't think of one instance where Tyshawn was the difference maker in a game. But I can think of several when he put the team in jeopardy.

It's a risk vs. reward scenario. Collins has a established a high reward factor in that ratio and Tyshawn, unfortunately is simply a risk at this point in his career...

Mike Kendall 4 years, 7 months ago

It's kuwells's fault for the Jayhawks effort at Colorado! Bad luck Wells will be at the Texas game, too. ESPN is already building this game up for Big Monday. What, it's only Thursday, right? Uh, ESPN, we have a game on Saturday VS the Bugeaters. ONE GAME AT A TIME!!!! Wells, I'm giving you a hard time---glad you were at the game. Sorry it took you so long to get out of the parking lot!

CasperCorps 4 years, 7 months ago

Jail bait is hilarious... especially on that fine wine.. Bill Raferty's nickname with my friends and I is "The Drunk".. He has to have a few before the game with some of the stuff he comes up with.. We looked worn out in CO.. We need a blowout win to get our guys some rest for Texas and get Henry's confidence back..

Mike Kendall 4 years, 7 months ago

Jaybate, ralster--Sad news--Roy and North Carolina lost again tonight! Hey, send them to the Big Dance--they're good for it!!!!!!!

jaybate 4 years, 7 months ago

drgnslayr asks...

Are we running a particular offense? Yes.

When was the last time we ran a backdoor? Apparently, Self thinks we have perimeter players capable of going back door the way, say, BRush used to do. Ty has the hang time but can't handle the heat. Brady has the bounce, but not the body control. Xavier surprisingly can't jump. Tyrel? No springs. Marcus could do it, but he has to play the 4, because neither Kieff, nor TRob, nor Withey, can earn Self's confidence.

When was the last time we ran a pick and roll with Cole for a slam? KU has never really passed to the post man rolling base line, even during the '08 season. I don't know why. Arthur could have done a lot of damage. Cole, if he gets his lungs back, could, too.

What happened to the quick-pass perimeter game? It looks like they are looking so hard for the post feed (even though they still don't make it very often) that they are forgetting to whip it around the perimeter.

3-pt shots? I didn't see how KU could keep shooting 47% from trey. I think they began to shoot back to their average--Xavier in particular--and so Self decided it was opportune to begin playing through Cole and Marcus more. I think he was right. Clearly, the scouting reports became guard KU at the trey stripe and make them beat you inside. KU is struggling through learning how to attack through the bigs, after having had to mask Cole's sickness for so long, and after not having had Brady the first semester. Big production is slowly, but inexorably increasing.

Are we focusing on defense? Yes, but the CU game was focusing on the kind of defense you play against a Princeton offense--you don't apply pressure--you just chase cutters and fight past picks and watch your monster center chase their little post men 18-23 from the basket. Its a dirty, unglamorous kind of defense, but its one of the many KU has to play.

jaybate 4 years, 7 months ago

I'm confused... Don't be, dragn, this too shall pass. You're probably right about all your concerns, because you know the game as only a former player can know it, but...Self is a kind of genius. And genius often isn't pretty, especially when it is pursuing something new, something that it has yet to adequately develop. He's probably working on inadequacies we don't even notice. Look at Marcus Morris; the guy is like a tatooed butterfly fresh out of a chrysalis and six weeks ago we were all rightly wondering if he would ever bring it more than every third game. Tyshawn's coming around too. Self just has a history of stopping all development work against team's running the Princeton system. People say Self is down on X. He was just protecting X from the Princeton system. Self has an m.o. He doesn't ask any one to do anything he thinks they can't do, but eventually he demands they each do things they have no clue how to do. He's really amazing this way. And if he thinks you can do something, and you think you can't, heaven help you, because he will keep feeding you the task a different way every game until either you crack, or you achieve it. And the amazing thing is that 95 percent of the time the guys wind up giving him what they never seriously believed they could. The Marine Corps has a saying that most people, even quite a few Marines do not understand. "The difficult comes easy, the impossible takes a little longer." They are not talking about the task of war itself. In war, all combat is brutal. They are talking about how one thinks about the task. Anything you think is difficult, the Marine Corp is going to push you until you realize that overcoming what seems difficult comes easy. Its the stuff you believe is impossible, that's what takes a little longer. Self loves this stuff on some level. Self knows he could finesse his way around CU. But he likes the idea that playing right into the strengths of the Princeton makes winning seem difficult to him, his staff, and some of his players. He wants to prove to himself, his staff and his players that the difficult comes easy.

jaybate 4 years, 7 months ago

But what he really loves is when he, or his staff, or his players feels it is impossible to play into the jaws of the Princeton and win. He's a junky for this feeling. He likes to scare himself. You could see it in his eyes at the CU game. Even he isn't sure at times that the impossible takes a little longer. Self is not like most coaches that try to maintain total cool, or total control, or total angry domination over the game. Self shows all those emotions, plus he shows outright fear at times. He creates situations in games for his players that even he doesn't know for sure how to work out at first. I have had two colleagues like this. They are, frankly, scarier that heck to work with sometimes, but when they and you survive the crisis they have contrived, usually a crisis with no apparent out until you struggle against it quite some time, you all feel 20 feet tall, like you could kill lions with one hand tied behind your back.

I guess as long as we win, who cares... I have a feeling the players are going to find out just how much Self cares the next couple days. We just have to hope he doesn't burn'em out on the practice floor working on the mental errors.

jaybate 4 years, 7 months ago

mikendal,

Roy and Baja KU lost again? If they keep getting their butts kicked, I'll have to go back to calling them UNC. Don't want KU associated with losers.

Maybe Roy is ready to come back to KU as Self's assistant? I feel he has enough want-to in his little finger to help Bech out with game video.

Rock chalk!

Mike Kendall 4 years, 7 months ago

Jaybate--

Roy coming back to KU as Self's assistant? HA, HA, HA! That's a good one--have another Corona for me! What would Roy do without Dean Smith?

jaybate 4 years, 7 months ago

Ways You Know Ol' Roy Lost Another:

Dean threatens to take off his house dress and start coaching again.

Staff and team are told to wear their goretex and galoshes to practice to avoid getting soaked by tears.

Asst. Coach Steve Robinson puts in calls to new KU Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little to see if she knows anyone high up at UNC that could get him appointed as Roy's replacement.

SMU Coach Matt Doherty laughs gleefully and asks Dean Smith if one of Matt's SMU assistants could be considered for Roy's job.

Larry Brown laughs gleefully and asks Dean Smith if one of Larry's Charlotte Bobcat assistants could be considered for Roy's job.

Coach K laughs gleefully and asks Dean Smith if one of Coach K's Duke assistants could be considered for Roy's job.

Wanda starts talking about retiring to Asheville.

Used car salesmen around the world observe a moment of silence for one of their own.

Roy does away with yet another component of defense in hopes of playing even faster.

Roy starts hiring SAT test-taking surrogates.

Mike Kendall 4 years, 7 months ago

jaybate----

Funny stuff, buddy!!!! Better than Jimmy Kimmel.

jaybate 4 years, 7 months ago

CasperCorps,

Agreed, the Raff Man has to be a rummy. He's got the pickled nose and the puffy skin. My grandmother, half Irish, called it the Irish curse, but then she didn't like to drink. :-)

Steve Brown 4 years, 7 months ago

Ralster, correct TT will earn more pine time or will shine, and has shown moments of brilliance. Yes, RRob was in the dark early as well, then the light turned on, recall why/ he called his dad in ny, then elected to stay, doing his best and take what may and WORK HARD. Being on Hurley HS team or doing great in Greece in under 19 league doesn't mean you walk on water in AFH. He will get it, eventually.

JBate well said BS loves to walk troops on thin ice for ranger training. UTenn, Cornell, KState, CU gave us just what we needed, testing us, helping us grow.

2000 wins any chance to get there before UNC?