Sunday, March 7, 2010

Keegan

Marcus’ hard knock proves revealing

Kansas forward Marcus Morris lays on the floor after colliding into an advertisement panel along the sideline during the second half, Saturday, March, 6, 2010 at Mizzou Arena.

Audio clips

KU-Missouri basketball

Reader poll

What was KU's most impressive road victory this season?

• 84-52 at Temple 18% 861 votes
  • 81-79 (OT) at Kansas State 60% 2848 votes
  • 80-68 at Texas 9% 463 votes
  • 77-56 at Missouri 11% 528 votes
  • Other 0% 37 votes

4737 total votes.

Get all the latest KU basketball reports

Tweet display sponsored by the Kansas City Wizards. Get 20% off home opener tickets using code KUSPORTS at checkout!

— The closeness of a team sometimes reveals itself after one of its members emerges on the right side of a scary situation.

The sooner and more viciously the player at the center of the storm is ribbed, the closer the team. Based on that, the nation’s soon-to-return-to-No.-1 college basketball team proved chemistry doesn’t rank as a concern heading into the postseason.

Given the hard fall Marcus Morris took during the game and the teasing he was subjected to afterward, this is a team that gets along quite well. During the second half of Saturday’s 77-56 Kansas University rout of Missouri at Mizzou Arena, Morris chased a ball out of bounds, crashed into the court-side advertising panel and momentarily knocked himself out.

“I blacked out for maybe 10 seconds,” said Morris, who was on the ground motionless. “I just saw black. At first I didn’t realize what was going on. Then I felt like I woke up.”

After he walked off the floor and into the locker room, Morris said he took a couple of ibuprofen and then ran up and down the hallway to “try to feel better.”

He returned to the bench and then to the game long enough to execute a play for which he has become famous. He followed his own miss for a bucket.

“Very scary,” Morris said of the accident, before editing himself. “A little scary.”

Teammate Brady Morningstar believed Morris got it right the first time.

“You know what, I thought he was going to get electrocuted,” Morningstar said. “Because there are lights in there. It was good he was all right. It was good that thing breaks, because I think in Allen Fieldhouse he would have smacked it and laid there still. I think it broke his fall a little bit.”

Said Morris: “When I went through it, before I blacked out I heard the bulb crack, and I heard it kind of go out. After that, I kind of blacked out, and then I woke back up. I heard some guy yell, ‘Get up.’ Geez.”

It wasn’t one of his teammates, but the way they joked about it afterward didn’t eliminate them from the suspect list.

Dead-panned Tyshawn Taylor, who led the Jayhawks with 13 points: “Marcus is a big baby anyway. He wasn’t really that hurt.”

Added coach Bill Self: “He did hit his head, but he’s fine. There’s no concussion. I’ve been around him for a while. That’s probably the safest place for him to get hit.”

Early in his freshman season, that might have been construed as a cruel comment because of Morris’ often-casual effort. Morris wasn’t so popular back then. This time, it drew laughs, and everybody in the room knew how much Self enjoys coaching Morris and his twin brother, Markieff. Marcus might be hard-headed, but he’s a hustler now, as evidenced by his pursuit of a loose ball all the way into la-la land.

To appreciate how far Marcus has progressed, consider that when he first played at Mizzou Arena, he and a referee made contact, and he was slapped with a technical. He said then and now that the ref bumped into him.

The difference between now and then: Now everybody believes him. The vastly improved twins have earned that trust with consistently credible effort.

Comments

Rick Arnoldy 4 years, 1 month ago

Serious head injuries might not show symptoms for hours, even until the next day. By then, it may be too late. Anyone recall the Natasha Richardson skiing accident?

Kye Clark 4 years, 1 month ago

kackley - the NBA will be playing next year. The impending (most say inevitable) lockout will affect the 2011-2012 season, not next season. The NBA’s CBA will expire after the 2010-11 season. Unless a new agreement is reached, the work stoppage would take place in September 2011.

Ron Prichard 4 years, 1 month ago

Don't bet on it, kackley. I would love to see Cole and X back, but I would bet even money they are both gone.

Bill Kackley 4 years, 1 month ago

With there being an excellent chance the NBA will not be playing next year there is an excellent chance we will lose only Collins

Ralster Jayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

I dont have any problem with Frank Martin whatsoever. Worthy competitor, like Mike Anderson. It has been interesting to see KSU "find their way" offensively, besides the PullenClemente Show. Maybe the reason their bigs hit the boards so hard, is thats the only way they may get the ball! If they ran their offense thru their bigs, for a stretch, those bigs may get more offensive confidence, and improve their game & make State that much more balanced. Regarding Mizzou, they are down on personnel, and cannot keep up with their own game philosophy, and also lack inside presence (that guy with Horace Grant glasses was pitiful post player). Mizzou is a 2yr project to try to become a balanced ball club. Colorado is alot closer, but inexperienced. IowaSt coulda/shoulda/woulda been balanced... Baylor is balanced, but lacking depth. TX is balanced, but underachieving. Im undecided about aTm.

johnnyphoton 4 years, 1 month ago

Worthless reporters on the sidelines is true, but doesn't tell the whole story. What about those worthless picture takers under the baskets? What, those cameras don't zoom? What seems to be lost here and in the "worthless reporters" reporting is the hustle factor. One of HCBS's better coaching traits is a team's toughness. To be able to get a "hard headed" player to listen and do what is best for the team is nothing short of outstanding. The Wildcats just gave an extension to Frank Martin (for which I am pleased). I just hope that Kansas' AD, who also occupies space in those sideline seats that are too close to the court, keeps HCBS happy.

Stebbins 4 years, 1 month ago

One of my silly friends who's a K-State fan was saying KSU would be strong next year while KU loses our top three scorers. Except he probably forgot about how good the Morris twins will be with Tyshawn, Robinson, Withey, and everyone else. We won't lose more than 5-7 games next year.

Mike Kendall 4 years, 1 month ago

That was a scary moment for Marcus.

Yes, I agree the fans should show more sportsmanship, but hey, it's Missery. What do you expect? What you saw yesterday, is what you would expect.

Yes, I agree the panels are way too close to the floor. I am sure it's a money thing but at the expense of a player?

Marcus has shown me a lot of courage this season. If I was his teammate, I would run into walls for him.

Rock Chalk!

nobody1793 4 years, 1 month ago

"They were fans."

Fans, reporters, whatever. It looks like there is barely 2 feet between the sideline and the table. It is fortunate he wasn't seriously hurt and we are able to joke about it. Same with Scotty Reynolds in the Nova game. I think there should be some rule about the minimum space, I dunno maybe about 6 feet, all around the court.

BCRavenJHawkfan 4 years, 1 month ago

I've said before, Marcus is one of our toughest, if not the toughest, player right now. In terms of improvement from last year he is easily the most improved. In terms of team, I think we are about to see some of this teams best basketball of the season.

Ron Prichard 4 years, 1 month ago

nobody...if you look at the pictures, the people sitting behind the "press row" billboards where Marcus hit weren't reporters. They were fans. One was even drinking a beer (clear plastic cup, I'm assuming it was a beer). I'm guessing they are expensive seats like KU implemented this season. The dude with the beer looked like he was laughing or smiling that Marcus was laying on the ground. A couple of the others look either surprised or happy, it's hard to tell which.

When Marcus walked into the tunnel, there was some polite applause, but there were definitely people there who were happy to see him hurt.

Ron Prichard 4 years, 1 month ago

jayhawker_97 4 years, 1 month ago

that was a scary moment. i really hope Marcus is fine - no concussion is a good sign, but how about a cracked skull or other head injuries - have these been ruled out, too? i guess i'm just too worried about our most improved player from last year.

nobody1793 4 years, 1 month ago

The real problem is that there are too many worthless reporters at the games. Get rid of "press row" and give the players a few extra feet of space around the court.

Brook Havens 4 years, 1 month ago

First of all, you stay classy Misery.... Choosing to boo each time a Jayhawk went to the floor shows you can't keep your wife (eerrrr, sister) under control.....

Second, this time last year I was dreading seeing the Morris twins in Lawrence for 4 years; since there was no way they would be able to make it to the league, let alone leaving early. But because of their development and maturity, it is a possibility that one or even both of them may not stay around for all 4.....Too bad. I give them all the credit in the world for proving me and most of the Jaywalk Nation WRONG.

Ralster Jayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

If one of the Twins goes down (god forbid!), TRob will have a 15pt/8rbs game. Real depth here, not 'texas depth' (lol!).

KU1992 4 years, 1 month ago

It is pretty evident that Mc. Morris took a blow to his occipital lobe of his brain which controls sight. It's located in the back of your brain so when a player hits the back of their head fairly hard it's not uncommon to "black out" for a few seconds. That would be my educated guess.

oldnongrad 4 years, 1 month ago

I think the medical staff can be trusted. Anyway, I sure hope so. Just think how close we came to being twinless for the first game this coming week. That fall that Markieff took could have been serious even though it wasn't to his shooting arm. The shoulder is probably pretty sore today and that with the head on Marcus would have taken the team pretty well out of the Big 12 Tournament considering how important they have become to this team. I just hope both of them can play this week.

chaggs 4 years, 1 month ago

There is no way that the KU staff would have taken any chance with a possible concussion had he shown even possible symptoms of one.

On a side note. The way the twins have improved from Freshman to Sophomore campaigns makes me all atwitter to see what training, discipline, settling in, and Danny Manning can do for Withey and Robinson! Especially Robinson. At times he looks like a guy playing a YMCA pickup game. But there are flashes of dominance. Sometimes he looks like he could be the #1 overall draft pick in a few years!

The future is bright!

Turk 4 years, 1 month ago

MU fans have never been know for being courteous or hospitable. It just shows their true character.

Turk 4 years, 1 month ago

MrPilot 4 years, 1 month ago

I'm sure that the KU medical staff are giving him the best care he would get anywhere. If they thought he needed one, he'd have one in a heartbeat. He may already have had one when they got back from MU.

aerohawk 4 years, 1 month ago

lks, I agree. How horrible would it be if they ignore it because he came back to the game and didn't immediately show signs of a concussion or worse. Head injuries are no joke.

Sparko 4 years, 1 month ago

I worry too about the injury; that was one hard knock. MU's advertising boards are too close to the action. We need to move this kind of thing away from the court. Really stupid to see players giving 150% and having a billboard to contend with two feet from the inbounds stripe. Nothing funny about this at all.

lks_hawkfan 4 years, 1 month ago

A closed head injury with unconsciousness worries me. Please. Get Marcus a CT or an MRI.

Greg Lux 4 years, 1 month ago

Can you imagine if the twins improve as much next year as they did this year how good they will be .. its scary to think about .. They could be something real special at KU if they continue to improve. Not that they are not already special .. I mean real real real special.. Keep up the great work .

Rock Chalk

SDSurferFan 4 years, 1 month ago

You will notice that mizzou fans are clapping when he left the floor.

Steve Brown 4 years, 1 month ago

LED signs have no tubes; 1. reduced chance of electrical shock 2. no toxins in broken tubes 3. pliable

KU Crimson Blue & Green

MU Black & Gold 1989 techonology.

Rock_Chalk_25 4 years, 1 month ago

You can always count on Mizzou to cheer an opposing player's injury. ESPN actually reported that Marcus "walked off amid a respectful applause." Really? Cause that's not what I heard and if you TiVo'd it you can see people actually clapping when he makes contact with the table.

theajayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

I am so proud of the twins and the efforts they have put in. With the coaching they have and the hunger they have shown, we wil be scary good inside next year, even with Cole gone...hopefully Withey brings some of Cole's blocking ability.