Sunday, January 17, 2010

Gary Bedore’s Kansas basketball notebook

Kansas fans try to throw off a Texas Tech free throw attempt Saturday, Jan. 16, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Audio clips

2010 KU-Texas Tech

Reader poll

Whose performance were you most happy with following the Jayhawks' 89-63 victory over Texas Tech?

• Marcus Morris 50% 1176 votes
  • Brady Morningstar 31% 736 votes
  • Tyrel Reed 10% 238 votes
  • Cole Aldrich 6% 152 votes
  • Undecided 1% 42 votes

2344 total votes.

‘Active’ Aldrich

Kansas University center Cole Aldrich scored 14 points and grabbed seven rebounds with three blocks in 22 minutes.

It marked the 6-foot-11 junior’s first double-digit scoring outing in three games.

“They put three guys around Cole again. That’s how people are going to play us,” KU coach Bill Self said. “He was more active. We did get the ball to Cole better.”

Aldrich hit three of six shots and eight of nine free throws.

Tough critics

Self was asked if the No. 3-ranked Jayhawks, who are 16-1, have been “overanalyzed” this season.

“I don’t know. I would say, probably,’’ Self said. “We have some faults. There’s no question about that. I think the media here takes the ball and runs with it in certain areas ... like I ever talk to my guys about some of the questions you ask them. That doesn’t even register with them.

“I do think it’s overanalyzed to an extent, but we can play better. We shouldn’t apologize by beating an opponent by 26, still that was a game ... when you are up 30 with 17 minutes left, we had a chance to really crack somebody today and didn’t do it.”

Live and learn

Freshman guard Elijah Johnson thrilled the crowd with a slam dunk to beat the final buzzer. But he felt badly about the play after the game.

“I actually didn’t get a chance to speak to them (Tech coaches). I do apologize for that,” Johnson said of not running out the clock. “I was trying to back out of a situation (in which he was guarded closely). I saw it and went. After I dunked it, I realized there was not much time on the clock. I felt I should have come out. I shouldn’t have gone in like that. I should have brought the ball out and let the clock run out.”

Johnson, who played the final three minutes, added: “I know that’s what the fans want (high-flying dunks), but sometimes it’s about sportsmanship. I had all intentions of having good sportsmanship. I wasn’t thinking to go try to put a last ending on a team like that when we were already up a lot of points at home with the crowd celebrating already.”

This, that

Members of the 1952 national title team and 1974 Final Four team attended and were introduced to the crowd during a second-half time out. ... The national anthem was sung by 8-year-old Paige Padgett, granddaughter of former KU player Gary Padgett (1954-55). ... Intense Brady Morningstar (six) and Tyrel Reed (five) combined for 11 floor burns. ... KU is 2-0 in conference play for the fourth straight season. ... KU is 18-4 versus Tech, 11-0 in Allen Fieldhouse. ... KU has won 52 straight home games.

Comments

MrPilot 4 years, 6 months ago

It is not unsportsmanlike to play the game, Elijah. You shouldn't have to feel bad about that.

I wish coaches (Coach Self included) would not "call off the dogs" when the shot clock is off at the end of a high scoring margin game like that. Whether there's 10 seconds on the clock or 10 minutes, you should keep playing the game. Lord knows we need as much practice at keeping our foot on their throats for the full 40 minutes as we can get.

championhawks 4 years, 6 months ago

mop-up time is not the time to practice keeping our foot on someone's throat. He is right for apologizing, that isn't a move anyone makes in college basketball... And you could tell that Self was not happy about the move when he shook Knight's hand.

jbrownjib 4 years, 6 months ago

Elijah was being closely guarded and so game was on. I am glad that we have players that are consciencious about sportsmanship.

Toto_the_great 4 years, 6 months ago

That's a tough situation... you are damned if you do or damned if you don't. I like it that a uber-talented player felt the need to apologize. I would like to think we are a classy team, so it makes me a little nervous when we talk about making teams look bad (I don't want it to imply we are running up the score). I don't have a problem with keeping our foot on their throat... you have to make sure a team stays down when they're down. I don't think you can ask much more as long as our starters aren't in there the final moments still scoring. The mop up crew plays just as hard in practice (if not harder), and deserves a chance to get their names in the box score.

It was a fast, wicked dunk though. It should be fun when this guy receives some PT.

leonard 4 years, 6 months ago

I agree with jbrown who said, "Elijah was being closely guarded and so game was on".

The sportsmanship angle is pulling your starters with a win in the bag...but the reserves deserve the opportunity to play the game as hard and well as they know how.

To paraphrase Lou Holtz when asked about running up the score, he said "It's not my job to keep the score from getting out of hand...it's the job of the opposing team."

KU 4 years, 6 months ago

How many 3 pointers did a certain senior Texas Tech starter score in the last 2 minutes of a blow-out last season in Lubbock? 'Nuf said about scoring when the game is settled.

ParisHawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Just to distinguish:

Going from up 30 to up 40 gives you a few more minutes of intensive team play, plus it lets the coach clear the bench much earlier. Self wants this.

Scoring one last time in a blowout when the shot clock is off doesn't help the team get better. Self didn't want that.

Egotistically, I'm OK with the dunk and the apology because it was great to see and I like EJ!

ahayden3 4 years, 6 months ago

I'm with KU. Voskul was throwing up 3s until the clock ran out last year, just to pad his stats. EJs dunk was nothing compared to the lack of sportsmanship Tech displayed last year.

tis4tim 4 years, 6 months ago

I'm all for sportsmanship, but I also agree with the Holtz perspective: if you don't want to be embarrassed by the other team, then it's up to you to do something about it.

Plus, when a guy like Juenemann is on the floor, it seems everyone wants to see him score in garbage time. So, because he's a walk-on hoisting a jumpshot instead of a future starter dunking it, JJ's shot falls under the definition of sportsmanship? Seems like points are points and both would be considered running up the score.

If the opposing team is still defending, then I don't see the dunk or any other scoring opportunity as a big deal.

oldalum 4 years, 6 months ago

Toto: I think what Self was referring to was the fact that we let them make a 12-0 run. KU: Yes, I could have thumped Voskill, too, for that performance. However, it doesn't mean that KU should be as bad. I don't think Bill has any objections to scoring during that last few minutes when players are in who don't get to play much, but he tells them not to score in the last few SECONDS. EJ even said he didn't realize how little time was left. At one minute, or even 30 seconds there wouldn't have been any reason to apologize.

hammerhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

There is nothing wrong with scoring at the end of a game if you have your subs playing. They are trying hard to get their names in the papers, too. I say, let 'em play!

The hawks had better be looking around at what is going on in the tough Big 12 - we have some huge games coming up and the play of the starters looks different to me than it did during the run up to league competition. Bangers with finesse seems to be the Self style of winning ball. Let's get with it, hawks.

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 6 months ago

I just want to say E.J. is a class act. He never complains about being stuck at the end of the bench, and when he finally gets to make a SportsCenter play, he apologizes for any appearance of poor sportsmanship. How often do you even hear the word "sportsmanship" in big-time athletics these days?

Martini_Boy 4 years, 6 months ago

I tip my hat to Elijah. First for the high flying, absolutly beauuuutiful dunk at the end of the game. Then next for doing something I wouldn't have done and that is apologize.

If you want polite sportsmanship while your sipping your tea then watch Ivy League croquette.

I agree with previous comments. Last years TT game in BBall AND FOOTBALL had no sportsmanship in it what so ever. Hey I didn't whine about it either, They flat out kicked our butts.

As a rabid KU fan no one in our league worrys about kicking our butts as soundly as possible. And I have no problem with us doing the same.

Elijah's did nothing more than make a play a CONTESTED play at the end of a game........

Sip a drink and get over it.....

up4par2000 4 years, 6 months ago

Good job Elijah!!

Show me more "out of my seat" dunks.

I need more youtube highlight reels for my myspace page.

Fear The Phog!!!

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Dan Harris 4 years, 6 months ago

You don't want to get posterized at the end of the game then back off and don't pressure the ball, otherwise man up and stop it or STFU!!!