Sunday, November 11, 2007

Game balls & Gassers

Audio clips

2007 KU-OSU Football

Reader poll

After Week 11, who do you consider to be truly the nation's best college football team?

• LSU 16% 659 votes
  • Oregon 15% 614 votes
  • Kansas 64% 2605 votes
  • Oklahoma 2% 109 votes
  • Missouri 1% 54 votes
  • West Virginia 0% 11 votes

4052 total votes.

Candidates for Game balls

¢ Marcus Henry: Contributed his fifth 100-yard receiving game with career-high 199 yards and three touchdowns on eight catches.

¢ Todd Reesing: Scrambled exceptionally well until suffering an injury that left him limping but didn't hurt his accuracy. Completed 27 of 40 passes for 308 yards and three touchdowns.

¢ Brandon McAnderson: Rushed for 142 yards and two touchdowns on 25 carries.

¢ Aqib Talib: Had nine tackles, a 17-yard interception return, and broke up a pass in the end zone.

Candidate for Gassers

¢ Anthony Webb: Still sets himself up for too many punishing hits instead of calling for a fair catch.

Comments

Dan Harris 13 years, 5 months ago

troutsee- my bad, I was thinking of getting beat not of them tying us with a 1 point then a 2 point convertion

actorman 13 years, 5 months ago

Well said, AZHawk. That was big and hopefully bodes well for when the games get closer. Now if we could do something about Kyle Tucker ...

JJHawq 13 years, 5 months ago

Webb has been cutting it too close all year... I'm surprised he hasn't dropped one yet. That catch last night was amazing - but hopefully he learned the lesson.

hifvie 13 years, 5 months ago

The time for the ISU on this page says 7pm. I thought it was a 2:30pm kickoff.

John Strayer 13 years, 5 months ago

Yes, Webb....for your own safety, please use the fair catch, especially on a high punt. The defenders are usually going to be in your grill on high punts.

Greg Woolen 13 years, 5 months ago

Webb did take a hit that knocked the wind out of him. There is no shame in calling fair catch young man.

Jonathan Allison 13 years, 5 months ago

What great shape we are in when our worst players of the games only mistake was getting tackled. He didn't even drop the ball, now that's impressive.

But, please Anthony, for all our sake as well as your health, call a fair catch!

JBurtin 13 years, 5 months ago

He said in an earlier article that the hits he was taking may look big, but really aren't that hard because they have to give him time to catch the ball.

I commented that somebody was going to time one just right and nail him running full speed. I actually cheered when I saw him doubled over on the field in pain. He still caught it, so it was a good play for the team, yet he should learn his lesson from getting owned on national TV.

Now pull your head out of your freakin' butt and put your hand in the air.

seattlehawk_78 13 years, 5 months ago

Whoever was offside and turned a 4th & 7 into a 4th & 2 made a mistake that should NEVER be made. Especially from a KU team as disciplined as this team is. Going into yesterday's game we held the distinction of being the least penalized team in D1. Will probably still hold that honor after this week.

seattlehawk_78 13 years, 5 months ago

I was so relieved when Mangino didn't go for it midway in the 4th when we were on the 1 yard line. I really thought they would try to pound it in. And, I will continue to lobby for the PAT when we have the lead even though I know I'm in the minority.

Dan Harris 13 years, 5 months ago

shawk-I agree, I thought that boneheaded penalty( I blame Brent the village itiot Mussberger) would come back and bite us in the butt and it nearly did. I disagree not going for it and here's why. By kicking the field goal we went up 15 which really is no better then 12, 2 tds and 2-point convertions and we would have been screwed. Great game Hawks beat ISU!

troutsee 13 years, 5 months ago

A team behind by 15 will definitely kick after the first one and then go for two. They will not go for two after the first one because if they miss they are still two scores behind.

I also think we should have kicked the PAT when we hit 33. Every point is important and our lead at the end could have been 16 instead of 15, which would have even put more pressure on OSU.

Kicking the field goal from the half yard line was questionable but was the precentage play at that stage of the game.

Dirk Medema 13 years, 5 months ago

Shawk - We will very definitely continue to be the least penalized team. Even with one panalty being an intentional delay of game, we still improved our season average. It was cool that Herbstriet recognized it as an overlooked stat along with turnover margin that continues to be a major reason we are winning. It's just sound football.

seattlehawk_78 13 years, 5 months ago

The only way I could see going for it on 4th is if Gundy had declined the penalty and the angle prevented a high percentage kick. I thought for sure he would decline the penalty but maybe his thinking was we'll let them have the 3 but let's not give them 7.

troutsee 13 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, Gundy should have declined the penalty but down deep he was probably relieved we did not go for the score. If he had declined, perhaps we would have gone for the score.

John Percival 13 years, 5 months ago

going for 2 there is stupid. if we miss (and we did) we're up 19 - 2 td's, 2 two-pt. conversions and a field goal tie the game. with the kick, they have to score 3 touchdowns. far fetched? hey, they got within 5.
ok, back to reality, if we don't score that touchdown to Henry on 3rd down and settle for a field goal we're up 8. if we kick that extra point we're up 9. he did the same thing at A&M and we won by 8 with a missed 2-pt. conversion - and they were driving with a chance to tie the game. Kick it, game over. Hey, that's my only complaint in an unbelievable season.