Sunday, November 4, 2007

Fan’s plea: ‘Help us!’

Huskers smarting from humbling setback

6Sports recap: KU vs. NU

The Kansas Jayhawks took their record to 9-0 after a big win over the Nebraska Cornhuskers. 6news reporter DJ Whetter recaps KU's record setting day.

Reader poll

What impressed you most in KU's 76-39 win over Nebraska

• KU's offense putting up 76 points 57% 1303 votes
  • Todd Reesing throwing 6 TD passes 13% 298 votes
  • The defense forcing turnovers on four straight drives 5% 114 votes
  • The overall atmosphere 24% 552 votes

2267 total votes.

A Nebraska football fan leaned over a railing in the southeast corner of Memorial Stadium after spotting interim athletic director Tom Osborne outside the Cornhuskers' locker room.

"Hey, Tom, thanks for coming back," the fan bellowed at the ex-NU coaching legend, who took over for embattled AD Steve Pederson on Oct. 17.

"Help us!" the fan implored.

There's nothing Osborne could do Saturday to ease the pain of the Husker fan, who endured the most humbling loss in school history - a 76-39 pasting to Kansas. No NU team had ever allowed more points . The previous high was 70 in a 60-point loss to Texas Tech on Oct. 9, 2004, in Lubbock, Texas.

Osborne figures to appease the Husker nation before long, when he is expected to give the boot to coach Bill Callahan, whose 4-6 Huskers finish with a home game against Kansas State and contest at Colorado.

"There are really no words to explain this loss," Callahan said. "All you can do is go back, try to rally these kids and get a win in the last home game for these kids."

The fourth-year coach, whose defense was torched by Todd Reesing, who converted six touchdown strikes (Tech also hit for six in 2004), kept his composure throughout his 10-minute postgame interview session, even when asked if his squad "was performing at a level" that would allow him to keep his job.

NU has lost five in a row for the first time since 1958.

"We're just going to keep working and coaching and motivating, preparing these kids to play to the best of their ability," Callahan said. "That's our job. That's what we try to do every day, help these players and help them through this. This is tough, not only on the coaches, but more importantly it's much tougher on the players than anything."

He said his team was "excited" about meeting the No. 8 team in the country, citing the fact the Huskers scored first on a three-yard run by quarterback Joe Ganz and trailed just 21-14 after one quarter.

"We just could not keep the pace up against their offense today," Callahan said. "Give them credit. They had four consecutive scores when the game was tight and pulled away."

Actually, KU scored TDs on 10 straight possessions against the once-proud Blackshirt defense.

The score was remarkably similar to KU's 92-39 pasting of the Huskers last season at Allen Fieldhouse, leading somebody to ask Callahan if the Jayhawks ran up the score.

"No, not at all, gosh, no," he said. "Mark (Mangino, KU coach) did a great job today. I think we put them in position to score when we turned the ball over on a short field. They seemed to be on a short field most of the time because of us turning it over and their ability to return the ball on kick returns."

Callahan was asked if he could believe the final tally.

"No, I can't. That's the disturbing aspect of the game," he said. "We had turnovers that led to the huge separation in the third and fourth quarter."

In making his first start, Ganz completed 25 of 50 passes for 405 yards with four interceptions. He hit Maurice Purify on TD strikes of 19, 14 and eight yards. Purify finished with seven catches for 158 yards.

"I could have had five touchdowns and 200 yards and not be happy. We didn't win," Purify said.

Linebacker Tyler Wortman said: "It (stinks). It's frustrating, but you can't dwell on it. They played well. Their quarterback was pretty good. He was able to scramble and complete some big passes."

Reesing hit 30 of 41 passes for 354 yards and the six scores.

Cornerback Andre Jones sounded like a guy ready to get on the team bus and get out of town.

"It's bad, just bad," he said of the loss. "I love my teammates. All we can do is come back from this next week. We've got two games left. We can still make a bowl game."

Comments

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 11 months ago

No Andre Jones... you can't make a bowl game. You could possibly end the season 6-6 (but won't), like we did last year, but even if you do you've been blown out by USC, Mizzou, OSU, A&M, and us. You've got wins over Iowa State, Ball State, Nevada, and Wake Forest (should have lost to Ball State and Wake Forest).

Doesn't sound like a 6-6 team that's going to a bowl game to me, unless you're very impressive in beating K-State and Colorado.

mojayhawk 6 years, 11 months ago

I remember all of the HUGE nebraska scores against us for many many years.

Does anyone know how and where to find a history list of past nu-KU football scores? This one really felt goooood!

Saguaro_Jayhawk 6 years, 11 months ago

Try pages 110-111 of Kansas Football Media Guide.

afilmer 6 years, 11 months ago

it actually does my heart well to know that osborne was in the stadium and had to watch that.

Displayhawk 6 years, 11 months ago

My heart bleeds! ......I really can't feel sorry for the Huskers! I sat through too many of those Cornpone routs that MoJayhawk was talking about! It's about time they got a little dose of their own medicine!

troutsee 6 years, 11 months ago

Hey Husker fans, how does it feel to be on the other end of a shellacking? Dr. Tom, how does it feel after you repeatedly ran up the score on us? Come on Musberger, don't you want to continue to hype the "black shirts?"

I said at the first of this year that NU stunk. After they beat ISU, I predicted that they had just won the only game they were going to win in the B-12. Only two games to go.....How does it feel BIG RED?

Oh, by the way, I didn't hear the chant yesterday....you know the one I mean..."Go Big Red"........wonder why.

KCBugeaterr 6 years, 11 months ago

Who do you believe?

Anonymous Internet Coward says, "Yeah, well Osborne always left his starters in against us!"

Former Kansas quarterback Kelly Donohoe says, "It just wasn't fair back then. I don't think (Tom) Osborne was ever the guy to run up scores. They would put their No. 2s and No. 3s in and they'd still be scoring."

Just because you WANT to believe Mangino is in Osborne's league in sportsmanship doesn't make it true.

True story, NU was up huge on Okie State at half and Osborne sent a grad assistant over to their sideline to tell them the two up-the-middle, run-out-the-clock plays he would call the rest of the game. That's class.

Don't bother replying, I'll do it for you: "Stop WHINING husker fan, WE KICKED YOUR A**!"

Here's some whining:

"That's right, Dollar Signs" -Mark Mangino, whining about officiating after losing to Texas.

P.S. I hope KU and MU win out and College Gameday is at Arrowhead. Good luck to you both! (And try enjoying your teams success more than our demise, it feels better)

speedy 6 years, 11 months ago

i,ll remember this one for years. it ranks right up there with nolin cromwells team that clobbered oklahoma way back when. you run up the score and it comes back at you neb. and oklahoma.

peter56321 6 years, 11 months ago

I hate all this talk about running up the score. The last time I checked, the game is 60 minutes long. Commentators frequently say "you have to play the full [insert number of minutes for particular sport]" and then talk about "running up the score." If you don't want to lose 76-39 (or 56-0), get better.

Dynasty 6 years, 11 months ago

I dont see how everybody thinks KU ran up the score. Neb were still trying to score against KU, why not keep scoring on them. Plus, im tired of hearing this "havent played anybody" crap. Thats all anyone can say. Especially KSU fan. Give KU there dues and stop your whining. Just because we beat ur a$$ in your house and you cant even beat Iowa St. KU is for real and its about time everybody starts believing it. and get used to it cause our team is young and were only going to get better. Bring on Mizzu and KU domination in both sports. GO HAWKS!

kuhawksr1 6 years, 11 months ago

I'm glad Tommy boy was there to witness it.

Bob Zielinski 6 years, 11 months ago

kcbugeater, tom osborne was a very classy coach and is a great man for sure. however, when texas beat KU on a complete mystery pass interference call you have to understand mangino's frustration. to beat vince young and texas at that point in KU's program would have been huge and KU deserved to win that game. he called it as he saw it. what would nebraska's coaches have said if the victory over vince young and texas was ripped from them? oh, that's right, vince young destroyed nebraska so they didn't have much of a case.

34_5_20_nbaTitle 6 years, 11 months ago

Wow Tyler Wortman proves that husker players are just like there fans. Delirious! Wortman said our quarterback was "pretty good". Hmmmm 6 TD 0 Picks. But just like the fans think every year is a title year these players think every week is winnable. Yes the Huskers have a great history, but because of that they are stuck in their past. I mean maybe T.O. (Osborne) will bring back the steroids that allowed the Huskers all that glory in the 90's. Cream and the Clear baby!

Gavin Fritton 6 years, 11 months ago

Bugeater says we should not enjoy the Husker demise. Lose like this to the Hawks for a few decades in a row and then tell us how to react to crushing the Red Menace. Is hording all the best players in the Midwest and then offering to take it easy after using only a fourth of them to run up the score in the first half classy or condescending? What about the 'classy' cornfans crowing about 'restoring the order' last year? Don't whine to us when you get your first taste of the new order. Rock Chalk!

actorman 6 years, 11 months ago

Give me a freakin' break, kcbugeaterr! I was AT a KU-NU game where NU was ahead 33-0 in the second quarter and went for two. How do you explain that, given the fact that Osborne, of course, would NEVER run up the score????? And of course that doesn't even count all the thugs the "classy" Osborne recruited (and let continue to play) so he could win his precious national titles. Can you say Lawrence Phillips? Christian Peter?

troutsee 6 years, 11 months ago

I've been in the stands many times when Dr. Tom had his first team in well into the 4th quarter and up by 40. And their "great" fans loved every gruesome minute of it. There are a lot of KU people who loathe Nebraska and have been waiting for a win like this for years. Too bad Huskers. Have a great big dose of your own medicine. And I hope KSU and CU massacre you as well. This is payback year.

KCBugeaterr 6 years, 11 months ago

I apologize.

You are right.

Kelly Donohoe is a liar and an Osborne apologist.

gavinesq no good english at.

I said, try enjoying your success more than our demise.

Not: Don't enjoy our demise.

Folks like you get more pleasure out of "in-your-face, MF'er" to your enemies, than "hi-five-buddy" to your friends when your team does well.

It reveals the kind of mentality that pervades message boards and talk radio. Didn't see any feedback on my well wishes for KU for the rest of the season. ("we don't need your F-ing well wishes, loser!") But what fun is there in being gracious in victory or defeat and respecting the game and each other? It's not "in-your-face" enough.

Rock-on, Jayhawk message board posters.

troutsee 6 years, 11 months ago

"Mommie, tell me about the Black Shirts."

"Okay, little Bugeater, but don't spill your milk."

"You see, black shirts were given to our defensive unit years ago, during a practice, and as their fame grew they became known as the Black Shirts. They were a feared unit and famous sportscasters all over the land lauded them, like Brent Musberger. "

"But, Mommie, I heard their black shirts were taken away from them by the coaches to try to shame them into playing better. And, and KU just hung 86 on them, didn't they?"

"Now, little Bugeater, don't you pay any attention to that. We will be back because we are Nebraska and have all that rich tradition. You just have to believe in Dr. Tom. Now, you finish your milk, make a wish, and put your tooth under your pillow."

Ted Toulouse 6 years, 11 months ago

Hey everyone, ESPN is doing a fan vote for the Heisman and Reesing is NOT listed. But there is an "Other" option for you to nominate/vote for someone else. I say we bombard them with Reesing votes so that they have to include him on the list. Click the link and get to voting!!

Dirk Medema 6 years, 11 months ago

Bugeater - If you want smack, try the KCStar, for some MU rabidity, though you're likely all too familiar with that already.

While I'm not agreeing with the tone of many of the posts here, the alledged chivalry of the Husker nation is a bit skewed by the years of pillaging. I've heard all about the fans that applaud the visitors, even if they win, but a loss is a lot more palatable when it only happens once a year (in MS) if that.

I'm sure that Turner, Bo, or whomever TO brings back next month will correct a whole bunch of the disparity, but I pity the Huskers the next 2 weeks, because there are 2 more weeks worth of pent up hustility waiting for you all. It is what happens when you get beat on regularly for years.

droberts1116 6 years, 11 months ago

I don't know about anybody else, but I thought the crowd atmosphere absolutely SUCKED. I had to entice people to get up and be loud on Nebraska third downs. The KU fans have NO IDEA how to be football fans. If you want to WATCH the game, STAY AT HOME!!! If you want to BE A PART OF THE GAME, SHOW UP AND DO WHAT YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO - BE LOUD AND EXCITED!!!!! What a bunch of wine and cheese crowd basketball fans!!!!!!! WE ARE IN THE NATIONAL TITLE HUNT. IT'S TIME TO START ACTING LIKE IT!!!!!!!!

droberts1116 6 years, 11 months ago

By the way, our FOOTBALL team is more likely to win a national title before our celebrated basketball team. ACT ACCORDINGLY!!!!!

troutsee 6 years, 11 months ago

Agree with droberts. KU FB fans act as if they are afraid to draw attention to themselves.

droberts1116 6 years, 11 months ago

Also, when the male cheerleaders run by with the flags that spell KANSAS everyone is suposed to YELL AND CHEER when they go by....

ku_bringback_danny 6 years, 11 months ago

Did anybody see Tom Osborne staring at the scoreboard in the 4QTR as he was walking to Nebraska side it was priceless.

FlaHawk 6 years, 11 months ago

ku-bringback-danny,

That would ahve been a Kodak moment!

sportjunky 6 years, 11 months ago

Bugeater,

Not everyone ignores your well wishing. I appreciate that you have thought well of us for the rest of the season.

While I am glad to also get a taste of a lopsided victory against the Big Red, I must admit that I cheered for them when not playing against KU. Why? They were often the best hope of a national championship team from the Big XII, and if KU can't get the championship, I at least wanted to see a Big XII team take it. That's why I cheered for Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, and, yes, even K-State after they all beat the crud out of KU and were (at various point in time well in the past) contenders.

A national championship to any team in the Big XII brings money and recruits to ALL of the Big XII teams. Right now it looks like KU might be the last hope for a chance to play in the national title game (provided we win out and LSU and Oregon stumble, otherwise if we only lose to Oklahoma and then they might stand a chance of getting to the title game).

Thanks for the nice thoughts-- seriously. While not pretty and probably not the best sportsmanship, cut us at least a little bit of slack as we finally get to release several decades worth of humiliation. I remember many Nebraska fans rubbing my face in defeats after a game, as well as many Nebraska fans who were gracious in victory. You will find this is true with KU fans as well-- as with any team, really. Ask the Notre Dame fans how they were treated after losing to Navy the last weekend-- I would bet that they also got a good picking on, while at least some Navy fans were gracious to them.

I hate to see anyone lose their job, but Callahan's days are numbered...

(Please excuse in advance any typos... It's late and I need to go to sleep.) :-)

Cheers!

Bryan Summers 6 years, 11 months ago

Let me tell you two short stories about NU fans...when I was in the KU Band many years ago, we did the pre-game run in (I assume the Band still does this). We started halfway up the stands in the bowl end of the stands, and ran, in step, down to the field. The NU game was the only game where the upper classmen told us to carry our metal mouthpieces in our hands to use as protection (kind of like brass knuckles). NU fans had a history of tripping the Band members as they ran down the stairs. Sure enough, as we were running-in, several NU fans tried to trip a small flute player in front of me. I was 6"3", 190 lbs. and wasn't about to watch this happen. I took a big swing at the NU fans to get them to back off. I missed, but they didn't trip that little flute player either. In fact, they fell over backwards to get away from me. (I'm sure there are 4 or 5 Cornhuskers out there who remember almost getting decked.)Unfortunately, all the fans around these few jerks were laughing and cheering them on to trip the Band members. There were many similar stories told that day. Pathetic! I don't want to hear any self-aggrandizing from NU fans. False humility is insulting! The only time you are happy, is when you are winning. Take your medicine like adults and quit trying to teach us how to be good winners. We have many years of experience at it in basketball.

More to come.

Bryan Summers 6 years, 11 months ago

Story #2:

After graduation I moved to Oklahoma for a couple of years - then on to Omaha. The first year I was in Omaha (1986) I was driving on I-80 when I was passed by a car with the average American family. Mom, Dad, son (13ish), daughter (11ish). Nice, late model sedan. I was suprised when, as they passed, they ALL flipped me off. I had no idea why...no I wasn't being aggressive on the road. Then it hit me...I had Oklahoma plates on my car. If you remember, during the Big 8 years OU/NU was a big, big rivalry.

I lived in Omaha for 17 years and in that time I found very,very few good natured NU fans. I found most to be ravenous and ill-mannered when it came to NU football. I have a lot of personal experience in this area and, while I'm sure there are many "nice" stories about NU fans, the number of stories to the contrary are much greater.

The best thing of all; even if NU puts thier "storied" football program back together, and KU falls back into football oblivion: KU still gave NU the worst beating of there life - the worst! And that won't ever go away! Ahhh, sweet revenge! Now, on to enjoying a great football season, and being the underdog and good sports about it.

Oh, KCBugg - we aren't on NU websites bashing on you. You came into our house and overheard our "private" conversations. Deal with what you hear or stay out of our house!!

I feel better now, thanks!

Rock Chalk!!!

sbjhawk 6 years, 11 months ago

The Jayhawks scored more points Saturday vs Nebraska than it did the entire decade of the 80's (67 pts)!

troutsee 6 years, 11 months ago

Way to go summers. I totally agree. I live in northwest Missouri and have taken abuse from their fans for years. Yeah, I hate NU. I admit it. And, yes, many of their fans are gracious but many of them are jackasses too, especially the ones that came down to our stadium and acted like they owned it. Payback time.

jahawkdave 6 years, 11 months ago

I've sat through many NU games and dealt with all those obnoxious NU fans. I specifically remember these A-holes in Red being complete idiots at the beginning of one game and then got suddenly quiet when June Henley was running the ball all over them. But when Mason went for 2 to win the game and it failed they didn't cheer their victory they got in any hawks fans face they could to rub it in. Worst loss I ever had to deal with next to the game we had Kordell and CU beat till we roughed the punter late.

It was incredible to be in Memorial two years ago beating the Huskers and watching their fans file out before the end of the game. These hawks are for real I'm still nervous before all these games. Keep sawin' wood and taking it one game at a time, we can't have a let down. D was tested for once and luckily the O picked them up let's get things clicking full throttle on both sides of the ball and win this thing out!

Bugeater you'll crow when NU beats us in basketball, but that isn't going to happen!.... so how's NU soccer, you might start following that.

seattlehawk_78 6 years, 11 months ago

I agree summers. If you come into our house uninvited you do so at your own risk.

jayhawk_in_iowa 6 years, 11 months ago

I moved to Iowa roughly a year ago and Nebraska is greatly despised here also. After Saturday's revenge against Nebraska, people seen my KU shirt and congratulated me on the huge win. I have been proudly wearing my KU colors(win or lose any sport) here and have not received any derogatory remarks at all. Just a little bit of good natured ribbing and even a few compliments in Des Moines. I hate to imagine trying to do this in Nebraska. Even when I am in Missouri wearing KU, I just get glances and teased thats all. But when I was still living in that great state of Kansas, Nebraska fans would ridicule to no end. So that being said, I have heard enough of "good sports those NU fans are". Missouri is still my favorite team for KU to beat, but I just cannot stand Nebraska. ROCK CHALK GO KU....

p.s. a few years back this Texas fan in a Topeka bar said KU should have won that "offensive pass interference" game

HuskerFan45 6 years, 11 months ago

I live in Lincoln, and most Husker fans I talk to up here are now pulling for Kansas to win out and go to the BCS title game. Some even were hoping for a Kansas victory against Nebraska so that Kansas' great season would continue. Most Husker fans are enjoying your success and want you to win the whole thing.

With that said, I am a bit surprised by some of the comments I have read on this board by Kansas fans. I understand it feels good to be on the other side of one of these blowouts, and believe it or not, we, as Husker fans, are happy for you even if it is at our expense. My plea to Jayhawk fans is please do not become like Kansas State fans of the 90s. They had been down for so long that they didn't know how to win with class. Kansas fans are better than that. They are heads and shoulders above Kansas State.

If any Husker fans has offended you in the past, please accept my apology on their behalf. Win out . . . win the national title . . . and do it all with class.

Congatulations on your awesome season.

troutsee 6 years, 11 months ago

Wow, Husker 45, that is classy. Thank you.

However, you must understand that we KU fans have been beat down by the Huskers both on and off the field for years. The average score against us for 30+ years is 47-7. We have endured the Red Horde descending on our stadium for years, and yes, many of them were obnoxious, and yet we endured them. So, if we seem obnoxious now, you understand where it is coming from. The KSU fans probably felt the same way. It'll take a while for the animosity to wear off....maybe it never will.

Thanks for your well wishes. I believe they are sincere.

HuskerFan45 6 years, 11 months ago

troutsee . . . I am sincre, and after enduring the past four years of Callahan and co, I can understand in some ways where you are coming from. I just really hope you guys kill Missouri in KC. Trust me . . . there are a lot of new KU fans up here in Husker Land.

On a side note . . . any talk of KU running up the score against the Huskers is stupid. It is not KUs fault if we can't play defense, so if any Husker fans are give you crap about that just ignore them . . . they are ignorant of the game.

troutsee 6 years, 11 months ago

Thanks again. Many of us did want the Jayhawks to run up the score. Sorry about that....all of that pent up frustration had to come spuing forth eventually. I guess running up the score can be easy to do and even unintentional when the team you are playing is inept defensively...a la KU x 30+ years and NU this year.