Sunday, November 4, 2007

Jayhawks OK against pass

6Sports recap: KU vs. NU

The Kansas Jayhawks took their record to 9-0 after a big win over the Nebraska Cornhuskers. 6news reporter DJ Whetter recaps KU's record setting day.

Reader poll

What impressed you most in KU's 76-39 win over Nebraska

• KU's offense putting up 76 points 57% 1303 votes
  • Todd Reesing throwing 6 TD passes 13% 298 votes
  • The defense forcing turnovers on four straight drives 5% 114 votes
  • The overall atmosphere 24% 552 votes

2267 total votes.

If the glass is half full, Kansas University's football team intercepted four passes Saturday to add fuel to a 76-39 blowout victory over Nebraska.

If the glass is half empty, NU quarterback Joe Ganz had an admirable first start in his college career, throwing for 405 yards and four touchdowns.

So it wasn't a great day for KU's pass defense at Memorial Stadium. But it wasn't a disaster, either.

"I'd say it was a good day, but we gave up a few big plays in the first half," KU safety Justin Thornton said. "We eliminate that, and it cuts their yards down dramatically."

Obviously, KU's sensational offensive performance made the so-so pass defense irrelevant. But Ganz and NU receiver Maurice Purify did burn the Jayhawks' secondary more than once, raising concerns with passing teams like Oklahoma State and Missouri still left on the schedule.

"They threw the ball a lot," KU coach Mark Mangino said of Nebraska. "We did not anticipate them throwing the ball as much as they did. They had not done that all year. I think we were a little bit off-guard."

Part of Nebraska's altered game plan might have been inspired by KU's effort last week in a 19-11 victory at Texas A&M. In that game, the Aggies' bread-and-butter running game was stuffed to just 74 yards on 27 carries, and Texas A&M had to pass the ball to have any chance at coming back in the fourth quarter.

Still, Kansas (9-0 overall, 5-0 Big 12 Conference) managed to make a positive out of the surprise. After the Huskers (4-6, 1-5) hung around in the first half thanks to big passing plays and solid game management by Ganz, the Jayhawks rattled the inexperienced QB into a slew of quick second-half turnovers.

Thornton, Darrell Stuckey and Mike Rivera all intercepted passes in coverage, and defensive end John Larson added another pick when a Ganz pass was batted at the line by Caleb Blakesley.

Those picks, coupled with a Rivera forced fumble, helped shoot KU's offensive production to incredible heights Saturday.

But Ganz still had 400-plus yards, and Purify had seven catches for 158 yards and three touchdowns while being covered by all of the Jayhawks' cornerbacks.

So call it a half-victory for the KU pass defense. Nothing more, nothing less.

"It was definitely surprising that they came out and passed that much," Thornton said. "But in the first half we made some adjustments, came back out in the second half and was able to put together a pretty good show."

Comments

troutsee 7 years, 1 month ago

I'm sure Mangino and Young will give special attention to the pass defense this week. OSU can run the ball but their QB had a ton of passing yards against TU yesterday. So, defense, you better be ready come this Saturday.

I will be in Stillwater.

Jacobpaul81 7 years, 1 month ago

I didn't think it was all that bad. You plan all week for a team that likes to run the ball, and they come out and throw pass after pass. They did that all in the first half, and couldn't get away with it in the second. We know OSU and Missouri are going to throw the ball, so it's not like they can come out and suprise us by going deep on every down.

OklahomaJayhawk5 7 years, 1 month ago

I was there for the kstate game last year and it was a lot louder than the Nebraska game. Next week will be tough, but I dont think we will have much of a problem scoring points against an inviting Cowboy defense.

flipborder02 7 years, 1 month ago

Jacob very true cause we can stop anybodys run game.

McGuzzo23 7 years, 1 month ago

I think yesterday was like a basketball game when you win 100-70. How tough does your defense play when you are up by 20 points. It was the same deal yesterday. We were up by 4 or 5 touchdowns the whole game yesterday and you can't expect the defense to go full throttle all the time. I'm not concerned I think we will be just fine. We know what OSU can do against us pass wise so I'm sure we will be ready. That was a fun day yesterday can't wait to do it again next saturday. #4 in the BCS that's VERY NICE!

shelleysue 7 years, 1 month ago

Off the subject - Just curious to know how season ticket holders feel about their tickets to the Missouri game. Everyone I've talked to is upset about their seat locations. I called the ticket office and the seats were given in this priority order:

KC Chiefs season ticket holders had first priority, then Williams club members with 750+ points, then KU season ticket holders, then recent graduate season ticket holders.

Ted Toulouse 7 years, 1 month ago

Hey everyone, ESPN is doing a fan vote for the Heisman and Reesing is NOT listed. But there is an "Other" option for you to nominate/vote for someone else. I say we bombard them with Reesing votes so that they have to include him on the list. Click the link and get to voting!!

droberts1116 7 years, 1 month ago

I don't know about anybody else, but I thought the crowd atmosphere absolutely SUCKED. I had to entice people to get up and be loud on Nebraska third downs. The KU fans have NO IDEA how to be football fans. If you want to WATCH the game, STAY AT HOME!!! If you want to BE A PART OF THE GAME, SHOW UP AND DO WHAT YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO - BE LOUD AND EXCITED!!!!! What a bunch of wine and cheese crowd basketball fans!!!!!!! WE ARE IN THE NATIONAL TITLE HUNT. IT'S TIME TO START ACTING LIKE IT!!!!!!!!

droberts1116 7 years, 1 month ago

By the way, our FOOTBALL team is more likely to win a national title before our celebrated basketball team. ACT ACCORDINGLY!!!!!

droberts1116 7 years, 1 month ago

Also, when the male cheerleaders run by with the flags that spell KANSAS everyone is suposed to YELL AND CHEER when they go by....

Michael Leiker 7 years, 1 month ago

I can tell you that from the field during the first half the crowd was in it and it was just as loud as it has ever been. I think the game just kind of drug on and it did become pretty quiet in the 2nd half.

It's not going to be extremely loud in there unless people feel like they're watching a contested matchup, and I don't think anybody felt like that at any point yesterday. Yeah, it could be louder, but the 1st quarter environment yesterday was nothing to get upset about.

People were at the game early, nobody really left at 1/2 time at all, I think the fans did a good job yesterday.

droberts1116 7 years, 1 month ago

Leikness, from where I sat it wasn't HALF as loud as a Missouri game or other Big 12 games we've had. I'm still disappointed in our fans. I understand this is all new to everyone, but that's why we SHOULD be so excited!!! Here is my concern, Leikness, the KU football program has been nowhere NEAR a Big 12/Big 8 Championship or NATIONAL TITLE since I've bee alive (35 years). I don't know if this will ever happen again in my lifetime. Shouldn't we be a LITTLE excited about this? I mean, I can't wait until we bow out in the elite 8 in basketball, but until then, should't we do everything we can to get behind this football team???

FlaHawk 7 years, 1 month ago

I don;t know about the pass coverage. Nebraska MUST have been totally intimidated by KU rush D. It looked a lot like 2006 with the secondary. I noticed that Talib gave up two TDs to Purify. One was a perfectly thrown pass that was impossible to defend and Talib was just plain beat by Purify on the second TD.

I suspect that Talib will not make All-American 1st Team after giving up these two TDs, but he is still the next best thing to Charles Gordon on D and a better offensive threat too!

Go Hawks!

100 7 years, 1 month ago

For being extremelely caught off guard, our defense still did a great job Saturday against a NU offense that nearly beat a great UT team in Austin, mostly running by running the ball. It's time to look forward to: The Cowboys. Surely Coach Mangino and his staff have been studying these guys as soon as they woke up this morning. OSU has a great team, great offense, great defense, a great stadium, a great town and great fans. We need to show them bigtime respect and show up with a great gameplan. OSU is for real. Coach Mangino: Pump up the speakers ALL week at practice -- even louder than you did for Texas A&M if that is possible. Make your players LOVE the noise. Love it. Keep it up KU Players!!! You guys continue to make all of us Jayhawk fans all over the nation as proud as can be! Respect the Cowboys. Study hard all week. Eat and rest well. KU Fans: keep it up! One week at a time! ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!!

jhawk_kid 7 years, 1 month ago

Im usually a pretty good fan, screaming on third downs and what not, but lets face when you are up by three touchdowns its hard to stay really into it. I understand the fans that just wanted to coast it in. BASKETBALL AND FOOTBALL NATIONAL CHAMPIONS IN THE SAME ACADEMIC YEAR NOW WOULDNT THAT BE SOMETHING? ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!!

dek9219 7 years, 1 month ago

IMO A. Talib is overrated. He gets beaten in almost every game at least once. Why all the hype about him? I know he can make plays on offense,but not enough to offset his getting beaten on defense so much. I say he gets beat more than twice Sat. for big gains. Hope it doesn't cost us the game.

jhawk_kid 7 years, 1 month ago

Aqib Talib is legit every game he covers the best receiver on the team Maurice Purify and Jordy Nelson could beat any corner in the nation any given saturday if he only gives up one big play all day I'm a happy camper