Sunday, November 2, 2008

Wildcats eat their words

Murphy: 'They were the better team today'

KU football defeats KSU

The 106th edition of the Sunflower State Showdown belongs to KU's kid from the Sunflower State. Salina native Jake Sharp rushed for four touchdowns, 181 yards and had 5 pass receptions.

Audio clips

2008 KU-KSU football

Reader poll

Who was KU's defensive MVP against Kansas State?

• Daymond Patterson 2% 35 votes
  • James Holt 54% 823 votes
  • Darrell Stuckey 8% 125 votes
  • Jake Laptad 11% 178 votes
  • Russell Brorsen 14% 216 votes
  • Clint Bowen 6% 103 votes
  • Other 1% 26 votes

1506 total votes.

Deon Murphy dined on more than a Kentucky Fried Chicken boxed lunch after Kansas State's 52-21 loss to rival Kansas University on Saturday afternoon at Memorial Stadium.

He also ate his words.

"No. I don't wish I didn't say it. I mean, I'm confident. I'm that dude. That's just me. If anybody doesn't like it : oh well," said the K-State punt returner-receiver, who Monday said, "I'm taking one to the crib this weekend. That's the bottom line."

"It's kind of hard to get a punt return when they don't punt it but one time," added Murphy, who had one attempt for 11 yards. "Enough said about that. They were the better team today. They played a good game. I've got a lot of respect for them."

The 5-foot-10 junior gave KU additional bulletin-board material Monday when he said: "They're probably going to wish they recruited this whole team the way we're going to play this weekend."

He was asked if his comments made him a marked man Saturday.

"I knew I was a marked man coming into the stadium. As soon as I stepped off the bus, I was a marked man," Murphy said.

He had three catches for 45 yards on a day quarterback Josh Freeman hit 22 of 37 passes for 207 yards and three interceptions - as well as a fumble on a first-and-goal call from the one.

"We didn't execute in the game. You can mark me all day, but I want to win," added Murphy, who noted, "they (fans) were getting on us pretty good, especially me."

KSU coach Ron Prince might have to deal with his own team's fans after falling to 0-3 versus the Jayhawks.

Kansas piled up its second-highest point total in the history of the series, three points shy of the 55 mark attained in 1947.

"This is a thorough and complete beating and defeat," Prince said. "We were not well coached today. That's my responsibility. The people of Kansas State deserve better than this. It's probably as bad a loss as I've ever been associated with, particularly the way we played in the first half : this game does mean a tremendous amount to people of this state, and we let them down."

The Wildcats were down 31-0 at the break and left to do some wacky things like go for it on fourth down twice while deep in KSU territory.

KU running back Jake Sharp burned KSU for 181 yards off 21 carries and four TDs. KSU's Lamark Brown also had 21 carries, good for just 68 yards and all three 'Cat TDs.

"Lamark had 21 carries, so did Jake Sharp. The numbers on those carries are completely different," Prince said.

KSU defensive end Ian Campbell was part of a unit that allowed 459 yards and six rushing TDs, one off KU's school record.

"Sharp is good. We made him better by not playing well enough. You can't play poorly against a good team or you are gonna get slaughtered," Campbell said.

Freeman, a 6-6 junior with NFL aspirations, played poorly against KU for the third time. His 'Cats have suffered 14 turnovers versus the Jayhawks the last three seasons.

"I personally didn't play well. That's all I'm going to talk about," Freeman said. "I'm not talking about the coaches or kids on my team. I didn't play well.

"It's a rivalry game. It means a lot. It's one you circle on the calendar. I wanted this one bad. I worked very hard the entire week and felt everything was in place for us to have a good game. It didn't happen."

KU has won three straight in the series for the first time since 1988-90 and four of five overall.

Comments

jhawk4life1976 5 years, 11 months ago

So was crow on the menu of KSU's team meal last night?

Machawk 5 years, 11 months ago

The only crib Murphy will see is his playpen back in Manhattan. I sure am sad we didn't get all those Juco players and other star recruits that K-State got. I guess we'll have to make do with leftovers like Jake and Todd.Thanks Ron for the memories and letting your stars shoot their mouths off to the media. It worked to perfection.

worrynotjhawk 5 years, 11 months ago

Well it seems to me that K-State got what K-State deserved. I just wish everyone would stop calling it a "rivalry." It never has been and never will be. They are from the same state and that is about it. They had a good run in the '90's. As far as circling games on the calender, why don't they circle Colorado or better yet Iowa State (who they are going to play at Arrowhead next year). Missouri is Kansas' rival - and it is a pretty good rivalry. K-State should just admit they have Jayhawk envy. KU should also start taking the ball on the first possession and proving to the other team that they mean business. I loved the opening drive, it set tempo for the game and the 'Hawks never looked back.

JJHAWK 5 years, 11 months ago

Mangino-itis = a heavy load for opponents

Shazam 5 years, 11 months ago

All the KSU fans at the game were just wondering when they could fire Prince. Really, has there ever been a better time to be a Jayhawk in the state of Kansas?

kranny 5 years, 11 months ago

Worrynot,I'll have to respectfully disagree. KU-KState is a rivalry. I suffered through 12 straight years of listening to KState fans who had no feeling of "Jayhawk envy" when they rolled over KU during Snyder's years. Personally, the hawks could be 12-1 but if that one loss is against KState that puts an asterisk on the season for me because I have to listen to KState fans for a year. Yes, KU-Missouri maybe a stronger rivalry but I don't live near Mizzou fans. KState absolutely has to go down every year.

Chad Dexter 5 years, 11 months ago

Good post, kranny. It sure is nice to not have to hang our heads in shame every year like those 11 years under Snyder. KU is now the better team. But yeah, we have 2 rivals, KSU and MU. MU may be a bigger rival, but KSU is still a rival. It was nice to see the few Kitty fans in the stadium being all quiet. :) Most of them started leaving in the 2nd half. Hell, I think I would have left at halftime.

Lonnie Ross Dillon 5 years, 11 months ago

To Worrynotjhawk- KU-KSU was a HUGE rivalry before Snyder and they started kicking our butts regularly. I grew up in Lawrence and went to games from the early 70's on and can attest to that. To say it was never a rivalry simply shows your age. Life and football did exist before you became a fan. In fact, the KSU game was bigger than the Misery game. It was the only game that sold out (or came closest) all season (not counting the Nebraska games when NU fans scarfed up every ticket).

eastcoasthawk 5 years, 11 months ago

Time to reset that clock again after another year of failure Kitties!

Cody Stumma 5 years, 11 months ago

Nah, they still have some use for us...But we have a better chance at seeing pigs fly than them beating Mizzou next week...

actorman 5 years, 11 months ago

"why don't they circle Colorado or better yet Iowa State (who they are going to play at Arrowhead next year)"Boy, that's going to be a real thriller, isn't it? What do you think it will draw, about 35,000?KSUck is indeed a rival -- the way a little brother is a rival. It's fun to poke at him and bug him but you don't really take him seriously.

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 5 years, 11 months ago

I have to say that some people's definition of a rival may depend on where they live/grew up. I always saw K-State as our rival since I grew up in Larned (3.5 hours west of Lawrence, out in western KS). They were tons of K-State fans and few KU fans, and they all rubbed it in the entire Bill Snyder era. Once I went to KU, I started to realize the intensity of the Mizzou rivalry the more I made friends with so many KU people from the KC/Lawrence/Topeka area and close proximity to Missouri. I've grown to dislike Mizzou to a higher degree in their own right, but have always loathed K-State more since I was around so many of them my whole life. Imagine a small town with every pickup truck with the dumb powercat logo on the front. My dad, a KU alum, flew our Jayhawk flag off our front porch every day! You can bet he's rubbing it in to all our neighbors!