Sunday, November 25, 2007

KU’s perfect season spoiled by Tigers

Kansas University offensive lineman Anthony Collins collects himself in the second half. After finding themselves in a 21-0 hole, the Jayhawks rallied, but ultimately fell short of Missouri, 36-28, on Saturday at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Mo.

Videos

The Border War 2007

video thumbnail

¢ 6Sports video: Beaten but still in top 5<br /> ¢ 6News video: Fans cheer on Hawks from Lawrence<br /> ¢ 6News video: Crowds brave cold for ESPN's Gameday<br /> ¢ 6News video: Broken dreams<br />

Audio clips

2007 KU-Mizzou Football

Reader poll

With KU's loss to Missouri ending its regular season, which bowl do you think the 11-1 Jayhawks will wind up in?

• Fiesta Bowl 54% 3311 votes
  • Orange Bowl 10% 638 votes
  • Sugar Bowl 3% 203 votes
  • Cotton Bowl 21% 1305 votes
  • Holiday Bowl 5% 337 votes
  • Gator Bowl 1% 84 votes
  • Elsewhere 3% 226 votes

6104 total votes.

— Well, that's that.

Just as the pretty girl was really showing some interest, the nemesis grabbed Kansas University's football team by the collar and threw it out the door.

Oh well. The Jayhawks crashed the party anyway.

No. 3 Missouri proved Saturday that it probably is the Big 12 North's more worthy representative. The Tigers appeared unstoppable at times, using a loaded offense and brilliant quarterback play to beat No. 2 Kansas, 36-28, Saturday at Arrowhead Stadium.

The Jayhawks made it interesting in the frantic final minutes, but dropped to 11-1 and now will wait until next week to see which bowl extends an invitation. Missouri, also 11-1, gets the tiebreaker and will play Oklahoma in the Big 12 championship game Saturday in San Antonio.

"They're probably going to win the national championship," KU cornerback Aqib Talib said matter-of-factly of the Tigers.

Saturday's game certainly narrowed down the candidates. It definitely won't be the Jayhawks winning the crystal football, despite an inspiring 11-0 start shooting them into the list of contenders.

Talib, in fact, was a part of a KU defense that was humbled the entire night in front of 80,537 freezing fans. Missouri's offense, led by gifted quarterback Chase Daniel, moved like a machine against KU, a brilliant combination of pass and run that led to 519 total yards and its 12th straight 30-plus point outing.

Kansas, meanwhile, squandered precious opportunities and had an uncharacteristic two giveaways in the red zone. It allowed Mizzou to bolt ahead - 28-7 at one point - and the Jayhawks spent the entire game catching up to the world-class sprinter.

Admirable, but not probable. Kansas, down six, did get the ball back on its own 11-yard line with 17 seconds left. But quarterback Todd Reesing was sacked in the end zone to give the Tigers two final points and the go-ahead to reserve a sideline at the Alamodome.

"Except for the first couple of series, I never felt our offense was out of sync," KU coach Mark Mangino said. "We just didn't make plays in third-down conversions, red-zone conversions, that type of thing."

Kansas gained just one first down on its first three drives, and Missouri was able to get a 7-0 lead after one quarter. The second quarter then broke the Jayhawks' legs, even if the scoreboard didn't reflect it.

Mizzou scored just once in the second frame, but it was on a 98-yard drive prolonged by a fourth-down defensive-holding penalty on Kansas. Furthermore, KU quarterback Todd Reesing threw an interception at the Missouri two-yard line, and Scott Webb missed two field goals within his range.

With room to breathe, the Tigers stayed comfortably ahead by piecing together second-half drives and getting at least some points out of most of them. Daniel launched himself even farther into the Heisman Trophy race by completing 40 of 49 passes for 361 yards and three scores. A rushing attack led by Tony Temple's 98 yards kept the guessing game alive.

"I thought our defensive effort was good," Mangino said. "Missouri's offense is really talented, and I thought our kids played their tails off.

"I give MU credit. They pitch-and-catch very well. Their receivers don't drop many balls, and they ran the ball pretty decent today, too."

The Jayhawks didn't start storming back until the fourth quarter, when Reesing scored on a naked bootleg with 13:02 left to cut the deficit to 28-14. Reesing threw two more touchdown passes in the final 8:28 to cut the deficit to six, but time ran out, and opportunities dried up. KU's championship hopes - and the likelihood of a No. 1 ranking in the new polls - swirled down the drain.

"That's the way it went," KU's Kerry Meier said. "Missouri played well tonight and they're probably going to be No. 1 come tomorrow. We just didn't take care of business."

For Kansas, the waiting game is here. The Jayhawks still have a chance at getting an at-large bid for a BCS bowl - perhaps the Fiesta - but certain situations beyond KU's control need to unfold.

The Jayhawks, meanwhile, will lick their wounds - and there's plenty with this banged-up team - and tune into the television next week to see if any of the high-dollar BCS bowls want them. If not, the Cotton Bowl or Holiday Bowl seem the most likely destinations.

Either way, Mangino and his players seemed ready to look ahead past Arrowhead and all the Border War hype.

It's really all they can do now.

"I certainly was disappointed in the way it ended, but we'll live to fight another day," Mangino said. "Get ready, make preparations for the bowl game and try to do our best to finish this season on a winning note.

"It's been too good of a season not to work hard and try to finish it off on a winning note."

Go figure

Points missed by the Jayhawks on first-half field-goal misses

Total offensive yards by the Tigers

Total offensive yards by the Jayhawks

Interceptions by KU's Todd Reesing (after 213 attempts without one)

Jayhawks with double-digit tackle totals

Offensive plays run by Missouri

Offensive plays run by Kansas

14:50

Missouri's advantage in time of possession

Comments

nycjayhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Georgia can't lose again. Its season is done. We would need missouri and w va to lose (w va is a 27 point favorite) and then ku to leap frog georgia somehow even though both don't play another game. A clear miracle shot for us. I don't think the powers will allow a ku v. ohio state over a georgia v. ohio state game. But since this is an appalachian state season, one can dream big.

OmahaKUAlum 6 years, 5 months ago

By the way, we only had two penalties last night...they were just very very costly. Especially the supposed defensive holding call on Mizzou's 4th down that prolonged what ended up being a touchdown drive. I was at the game, then re-watched the game today, and I never once saw a flag on the field or saw the call that was made...did anyone else see it?

Three big flaws that were exposed last night: 1) Kicking. I agree with another commend, these are college kids, but you HAVE TO be able to make a 30-40 yard field goal at this level!! That absolutely hurt us! 2) Dropped passes. This had been a problem ALL season, and I have said all year, "This is going to hurt us against a good team!" Very disappointing. 3) Poor tackling. This was blazingly clear during the game in person, and very very frustrating as I re-watched the game today on TV. There were soooo many times that if we just wrapped up on the first hit, we would have ended some of those long Mizzou drives.

All that being said, I am so proud of this team. No one expected us to do anything this year, and we won 11 games! I'm very disappointed with last night's game, but the future is bright at KU! I'm hoping for a Fiesta Bowl berth, as I have a free place to stay in Tempe! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!!

Christopher Johnson 6 years, 5 months ago

even if mizzou loses next week, voters and computers won't forget that MU beat KU. Unfortunately, even with an MU loss, MU will still be ahead of KU in the human polls and the BCS.

fivemog 6 years, 5 months ago

Read the rules of the BCS (particularly paragraph .6). We are currently number 5 in the BCS, if OU wins the championship and we move to the number 4 spot we will get an automatic bid to a BCS...We DO NOT need missouri to win to reach the BCS. What's more the we NEED them to lose to ensure a trip to the BCS.
As for you Sevenyearhawk I believe that you must have taken at least seven years to get through. The Big XII shares all bowl money, there is no difference in bowl payouts, in fact Baylor gets as much as the rest of us. Also, I am an attorney who regularly works child in need of care cases and it's obvious you have no freakin' idea what you are talking about. My son has been to every home game since he was 2 and he'll be at the bowl game too. The cold can be overcome with some simple parental preperation. Your comment about calling SRS is laughable I hope your child has more sense than you.
Oh yeah, Rock Chalk Jayhawks.

justanotherfan 6 years, 5 months ago

KU got beaten last night by a better team with a better gameplan. For the first two and a half quarters KU got flat out played. Once we had spotted them a three touchdown lead we mounted a comeback, but the fact remains that for the early part of the game, MU was better than us.

Things that killed us last night:

1) Turnovers - we hadn't turned the ball over all year on the way to our perfect start. Early turnovers put us behind the 8 ball.

2) Poor tackling - More than once I saw MU receivers catch the ball in space, make their first guy miss and then pick up 8-10 more yards. That's unacceptable.

3) Penalties - Least penalized team going in. Maybe more penalties last night than all season.

The game being at Arrowhead had nothing to do with those things. Seemingly, our guys ran into a team with equal talent and tightened up, trying not to make a mistake that would lose the game. So our guys were ultra tight, playing it safe rather than trying to make plays. A lot of the missed tackles came because our DB's were 7-10 yards away on the catch and couldn't come up quick enough to make the tackle immediately (something that we never adjusted out of).

Several personnel decisions also left me baffled.

Collins was clearly hurting at tackle. The MU DE just ran by him a couple of times last night. He wasn't nearly as mobile as I had seen him earlier in the year. Yet he stayed in - gutsy on his part, but the coaches had to see him struggling out there and wonder if he could make his blocks with MU's speed on the outside.

Sharp was in only a couple plays early, then vanished. We never tried to change up the pace on the Tigers with a quicker back when B-Mac was struggling to get upfield in the first half. I thought that was the purpose of having them both - thunder and lightning.

It's been a great year overall. Now we just sit back, get healthy and wait for the bowl invite.

Kevin Long 6 years, 5 months ago

We lost to a better team. It's okay! We have a great team that had a great season.

JayViking 6 years, 5 months ago

"With KU being #5 in the new BCS pole, I just wonder what happens if misery, Georgia, and West Virginia all happened to lose? It's a long shot...but this whole year in college football was a long shot."

I was thinking the same thing..

Michael Leiker 6 years, 5 months ago

Why aren't people talking more about Anthony Collins? That had to have been one of the most gutsy performances I have ever seen at any level of athletics.

He was limping in pre-game, could hardly make it into the locker room at 1/2 time. He was visibly just distraught with pain as soon as the whistle was blown every time, but as soon as that ball was snapped, he looked quicker than Russell Robinson. He was manhandling people. That is the definition of leaving it all on the field. He made me proud to be a Jayhawk. I'm not one to sit there and watch on O-Lineman all game typically, but what he was doing, I could hardly take my eyes off him. Amazing.

Thank You AC! Do what's best for you this year, you've given everything we could ask to KU.

Kirk 6 years, 5 months ago

Misery just won their national championship. They played their best game against KU.

Let's see what they've got against OU.

KUglow 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm just now getting my head out from under the covers and its dark out. Did the sun come out this morning? Wait, yeah it did. What a season! Are you kidding me, a chance at the Fiesta Bowl? Wow, I never thought KU would play a game in January. Great, great season. Still, I'm left wanting more and I hope our players are left wanting more too.

To steal a line from the Bad New Bears -

You can take your trophy and shove it up your a**. Just wait till next year!!!!

TwistedFish31 6 years, 5 months ago

rockchalk43 6 years, 5 months ago

Great season guys! Going from 6-6 to 11-1 is amazing. Let's make it 12-1!!! I'm ready to go bowlin'!!!!!!!!

Mangino_Maniac 6 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, where was Jake Sharp last night?

Chicago_JHawk 6 years, 5 months ago

No BCS bowl will select us over Missouri if OU beats them (unless its a blowout), because we lost to them head-to-head late in the season. The selections are not based on rank - the only criteria is that you be in the Top 12. Kansas could finish 3rd and Mizzou 12th, and they'd probably still take them.

fabio 6 years, 5 months ago

Sorry to interrupt guys, but if anyone is going to make a rollercoaster ride but remember put whatever you have to put you know to make sure that ride is gonna be safe. I am proof why. I not going to sue you. If it was a kid it would be dead. It was a miracle.

seattlehawk_78 6 years, 5 months ago

I like your thinking JBurtin. It would be painfully ironic if an OU win eliminated Mizzou and gave us a BCS birth over them.

seattlehawk_78 6 years, 5 months ago

Good point 7year. It would also spare you that dinner date with the radio station. I saw a beak 'em sign at gameday, was that you? Also, how was the crowd noise for KU? Didn't sound like 50k to 30k to me.

seattlehawk_78 6 years, 5 months ago

Mizzou fans are insufferable enough. As good as it would be for KU I can't bring myself to root for the Tigers. BCS birth or not, KU had a great season and will be going to a good bowl. I say start early and root for OU and whoever the Tigers play in their bowl.

JBurtin 6 years, 5 months ago

BTW,

Spam the living crap out of Lew Perkins to never, ever, ever take another KU home game to Arrowhead. I was willing to give it a chance because I know KU needs the money to be able to keep up with other athletic programs around the country. However, I have now been to two KU "home games" in Arrowhead and the atmosphere has been terrible at both of them.

The problem is that you don't know for sure whether or not you can sell a majority of the tickets to a game like that. With OU and Texas each team knows that their fans will buy up half of the stadium early in the year before anybody knows whether either team will be good. KU and Missou simply do not have that kind of tradition of fan support.

This year it looks like MU fans jumped on their bandwagon earlier than KU fans. The Chief's season ticket holders are probably split about 50/50 between Missou and Kansas, but the Chief's season ticket holders that are also Missou fans must have bought their tickets earlier. I would say 3/4 of those 20,000 tickets went to Missou fans. Then KU sold 40,000 tickets through their ticket office, but there's no guarantee for us that bandwagon Missou fans wouldn't come here and buy tickets. Apparently many of them did because I was on the lower level with supposedly "good" tickets in the KU half of the field, and I still had several tiger fans in the area to put up with. I'm friggin' William's fund and I end up in a G#@amn endzone with Missouri fans around me.

KU did not have anywhere near enough control over the atmosphere and couldn't get any of their chants started. The result was a very muddled, unpleasant game experience. Even if KU had won, I still didn't enjoy being there and putting up with those a-holes.

We tried it

It failed misserably

KU probably lost the game because of it

I've seen enough. Keep the games in Memorial from now on.

JBurtin 6 years, 5 months ago

I won't root for Missouri . . . EVER

I think KU still has a chance at a BCS berth if Missou loses next week. Oklahoma gets the automatic bid, but then Missou will have two losses and KU only one. It's not like the national media has been on Missouri's side all year, even with our supposedly weak schedule we've been ranked ahead of them while other one loss teams have continuously been put ahead of us. I think a two loss Missouri team drops below us in the polls and we could sneak in to an at-large ahead of them.

1 undefeated team left Hawaii (will probably get an at-large)

4 one loss teams Missouri West Virginia Ohio State Kansas

If Missouri loses, only 3 one loss teams left West Virginia Ohio State Kansas

Considering that Ohio state and West Virginia will probably get their conferences automatic bids. Kansas would then be the only one loss team in the nation that didn't win the automatic bid, and they play in a BCS conference.

That could easily translate into BCS because the computer polls are 1/3 of the vote, and are unbiased. They could bump us up a ranking higher than the human poll voters and the BCS would have to give us a good hard look before passing on us. I'm willing to take the chance that we go to the Cotton Bowl, to not see Missouri in a national championship game.

Carolyn Hunzicker 6 years, 5 months ago

WHAT'S WITH THE GLOVES...REESING WAS NOT AS ACCURATE AS IN THE PAST... TO ME THE JAYHAWKS JUST LOOKED INTIMATED BY THOSE BIG MEAN GUYS..

Dan Harris 6 years, 5 months ago

PROUD OF YOU HAWKS,IT WAS A GREAT RIDE! From a purely selfish reason I hope we go to the Cotton Bowl(Live in the metroplex) The team deserves a BCS game and I hope its the Fiesta so I guess I will do the unthinkable and root for the Tigers, Ugh, I just puked!

Localmalcontent 6 years, 5 months ago

Nevertheless, congratulations KU on such a great season, and I think some of you will be surprised at which BCS bowl will take the Jayhawks. I predict the Sugar Bowl.
The Hawks are still 11-1, afterall, and only beaten by another top 5 team, which will remain nameless, given these surroundings. I think you will be surprised, staying in the top 10 after the BCS standings are out today.

As a diehard Sooner fan, I was sure looking forward to an OU/KU matchup in San Antonio next Saturday.
I watched the KU/Okla. St. game, and marvelled at your team, and it's novel way of signaling in the plays to Reesing and the offense. But, that system seemed both slower, and flawed last night, taking up valuable time, once the team was behind.

This Sooner fan here loved the fact that one of the two nat'l unbeaten teams was from our conference. Now we'll see about knocking off that No. 1 team next weekend for ya, again.

sevenyearhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

fivemog ...

I'm sorry, you are an IDIOT for taking your 5-year old to THAT game, I am tempted to report you to SRS!

I have a 4-year-old and a 1-year-old and there was NO WAY I would expose them to that crowd OR the weather ...

Shame on you!!!

We NEED a BCS game, the payout difference between one and the Cotton Bowl is 2-4 MILLION dollars, and we'll need that to keep pace in the arms race with Missouri for facilities and recruitment ... and does ANY South team need that money ... NO NO NO!!!

Linda Daxon 6 years, 5 months ago

As a KU alum with 2 sons at OU I will be rooting for MU to go all the way. All OU can do now is play the spoiler and keep the Big 12 out of the national championship game. OU lost to 2 unranked teams while MU's only loss was to ranked OU, and they beat #2 us. The farther MU goes, the better we look, espeically since we really beat ourselves last night, something we had avoided all year. Still proud of the Hawks!

CasperCorps 6 years, 5 months ago

Good season Hawks... They exposed our only weakness last night with not being able to get to the Qb, and when we did he would just run away from it. Field goal kicking and not being able to tackle didn't help.. Hopefully Misery's whole team goes pro next year and then we'll win... Regardless its the best season we've ever had,and I feel bad for whoever we beat in the bowl game.. Rockem Hawks!!!

Christopher Johnson 6 years, 5 months ago

root for what's best for the big 12. Ultimately that will make KU look better. KU can't buy respect this year, but a big finish by the big 12 will help KU's level of respect the most. We should hope the Big 12 gets a national champion every year and unfortunately, it's Missouri. So you hated the Mizzou crowd? Don't hate their football TEAM for what the crowd did. I hate Mizzou, but respect their team a heck of a lot after last night. They were the better grind out it mistake free team. We made mistakes in a big game. That's just what the experts said we would do. This hurts, but: GO MU.

FYI before I get ripped for this - my login name "hawkandtigerfan" has to do with me being a Fort Hays State (Tigers) alum. I'm not a Mizzou fan :)

lozar34hawks 6 years, 5 months ago

Ku played scared for the first 3 quarters! I'm not rooting for MU and never will GO OU!!

kickazzkurtz 6 years, 5 months ago

If you root for your rival to win I don't think it is a rivalry. I will not root for MU against OU. Can't do it.

rockchalkblock 6 years, 5 months ago

The thing that gets to me the most, Is how mizzou DBs could not contain our WR and TE all night, yet a few missed place balls are the difference in the final score, I really don't see mizzou beating a WV thats if they can even get passed OU. Another thing what was Sharp doing on the sideline all night!?

prairie_dog 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm with you fivemog. That was one of the more obnoxious, foul-mouthed, drunken crowds I have ever seen, even for Mizzzzourrrraaaa. Digusting but what were we expecting?

That said, it is the fans, not their team. The MU team seems like a decent enough bunch to me--and they are one helluva football team.

Let's go the Fiesta Bowl--too cold in Dallas and I don't even want to discuss the Holiday Bowl.

jayhawkinATL 6 years, 5 months ago

I can't believe how selfish some KU fans are being. Our guys deserve the BEST bowl experience...a BCS bowl experience. I hate Mizzou as much an the next KU fan, but, damn, our guys deserve a BCS bowl!!!!

Teapot9 6 years, 5 months ago

Lee Corso was in my terminal this morning at 6:30am taking a Southwest flight. I grabbed his arm and said "Not so fast my friend, I figured when you put on the tiger head KU was a lock, what happened?" His response was a hungover grumble.

Since there has been enough about the football game lets talk about the women. I think the Mizzou gals are more fashionable and primped but the KU gals are much more girl next door type that love wearing the crimson and blue. I think the southern influence of dressing up for football games is alive and well in Missoura.

If I go any further with this my post will be deleted.

fivemog 6 years, 5 months ago

GO OU! I know it may mean KU goes Cotton rather than Fiesta, but I hated Missouri yesterday and after spending 4 hours stuck in the middle of drunk, cursing black clad people (?) with my 5 year old son no less, I hate Missouri today. If that was a home game most of our fans came dressed in black and gold. As a season ticket holder I can't believe that we had maybe 15 to 20 kansas fans in our whole section. I felt like I bought my tickets from Missouri not KU. Let's go beat Tennessee in the Cotton!

jayhawkinATL 6 years, 5 months ago

Man, I hoping a Hawks win tonight against U of A can take away at least a little bit of the sting.

mwallace99 6 years, 5 months ago

Still upset the game was not in Lawrence? Me, too. My answer to Lew Perkins is to go to Joe College and buy some tshirts. This singular focus on money has to end!

jayhawkinATL 6 years, 5 months ago

...now I'm not saying you can't root AGAINST Mizzou in the NC.

jayhawkinATL 6 years, 5 months ago

jhwkfan1625...better root for Mizzou against OU if you want the Hawks to get a BCS berth. The BCS will take two teams max from any one conference. If OU wins, they get the automatic berth and Mizzou likely gets the at-large and KU's out.

jayhawkinATL 6 years, 5 months ago

Good point, Brunswickboy63. I don't recall seeing Sharp at all either.

FlaHawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Mizzou was just a better team all around. IF KU and MU played 10 times, KU would probablu only win 2-3 of them.

Compare the areas:

KU  MU

QB - B A+ Daniels the "bomb" RB - C B Temple the difference WR - C B+ MU has better talent; KU had drops; OL - C- B+ Daniels was given all night to throw

DL - C- B+ MU harried Ressing all night LB - B+ C Pretty even; KU had some good hits DB - C B- KU had problems with no pass rush

K - D A KU kicking game choked PR - D B KU negative yards - Macklin big start KR - C C Herford negated by MU strategy

Coaching was not much of a factor during game. With MU having KU by the throat all game, KU had to play from behind. KU offense requires lots of time to run plays and is not as effective being down double digits.

Mizzou offense absolutely kept KU offense off the field. This is how they held TTech to only 10 points. They almost had 100 plays run and huge Time of Possession advantage.

KU defense was worn out especially late in game. KU would score quickly and then MU would methodically wear the defense down and core almost every time they had ball in 2nd half.

Good game, but not a great game as KU was almost never in game and could not play from behind against a ball control team.

Excellent game plan by Coach Pinkel. The defense took the advantage away from KU offense by challenging them the whole game. MU offense was awesome. Made Coach Young's defense look wornout and ragged (shades of last year).

In the end, Daniels and the MU offense was way to good for the KU defense. KU can score on anyone, but the defense while vastly improved from last year is only middle of the pack in BIg XII in reality. This game showed why KU did NOT deserve the top ranking. I am very satisfied with this season. KU over performed and had their luck run out in Arrowhead. I'll take a 11-1 season any year.

Mangino for President!

jhwkfan162515 6 years, 5 months ago

No, don't root for MU. For one of the few times in my life, I want OU to win. If we can't win the national title, I don't want Mizzou to win it either.

jayhawkinATL 6 years, 5 months ago

As tough as it is to do, I'm rooting for Mizzou to kick OU's a$$ and win the NC. I agree, isolve4x...to say our only loss was to the NC would be pretty impressive. Also, living in Atlanta, I'm tired of all the pro-SEC bull she-ought!!!!

jayhawkinATL 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm proud that our guys DIDN'T quit. Reesing shouldn't be apologizing...he's one of the main reasons we're 11 - 1. According to the guys on ESPN Radio, we shouldn't drop any lower than 5th in the BCS. Definitely reason enough, I believe, to be in the Fiesta Bowl, as projected by CBSSportsline.com.

isolve4x 6 years, 5 months ago

I agree with the glove thing and obviously the missed FG's proved fatal to us, but I would also have to put some of this on Lew Perkins for selling us out. That crowd was pro-Missouri from the beginning. One can only imagine what might have transpired had we been in Lawrence with our home crowd behind us. However, it's time to look forward.

I hate to admit it, but I'd like to see MU beat OU then win the NC. At least we could say our one loss was to the eventual national champions. If they play like they did last night, I don't think it'll be a problem for them.

frompekka2sasha 6 years, 5 months ago

I know these are just college kids but Webb's kicking is not acceptable at this level. If he makes those field goals we are tied at the end of regulation. Reesing didn't look comfortable with the glove regardless of the story they are telling. I'm not upset with him because the guy is a stud. You could just tell that some of his passes were not coming out of his hand very well.

Dammit! Why did the weather have to turn cold on us when we would have been heading to domes for the next two games?? Oh... the humanity!

jhwkfan162515 6 years, 5 months ago

Okay, I've had some time to sleep this off now after my ranting and raving about KU being a mirage last night. I knew in the back of my mind that KU didn't have national championship talent, but when you get to 11-0, there's always the hope.

And I know a few years back we would have killed to be 11-1 and bound for a big-time bowl. And I know mirages don't go 4-0 against Big 12 competition on the road.

And ku98, wherever you are, I'm sorry for what I said last night about being sick of you. I was ticked off with the loss and took it out on you, and that wasn't fair to you.

Let's hope we can win our bowl game and try again next year. Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

sevenyearhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Congrats to Mizzou ...

Now go beat Oklahoma, and make the North proud!!!

Don't hang your heads, Jayhawks ... this could have been much worse after being down 21-0. Our team showed a lot of heart fighting back, and the contest wasn't decided until the final minutes.

See you all in Arizona ... it's going to be a FIESTA!!!!!!

zmorin 6 years, 5 months ago

The 1st Quarter was all the difference in the world. Our Jayhawks will end the season on a winning note in whatever Bowl game they go to. Hopefully the Jahawk fans will travel and leave the heavy hearts behind. I've got my travel reservations set up for the Fiesta, Orange or Cotton...I'll go wherever they end up.

Mizzou deserves a ton of credit. They should win the whole thing in New Orleans.

Mangino_Maniac 6 years, 5 months ago

It was an awesome effort in the fourth quarter, but not taking advantage of the red zone opportunities made it too tough to catch up. I know no one wants to talk about Mizzou, but give 'em credit... they have a very good team and played a great game.

Still loving my Jayhawks!!! Can't wait for our bowl invitation and to see our guys finish with a great win!!