Friday, June 27, 2008

Gary Bedore’s KU basketball notebook

Portland drafted Brandon Rush, but traded him to Indiana. New Orleans drafted Darrell Arthur, but the pick was on behalf of Portland (and he was later sent to Houston in a separate deal, then immediately shipped to Memphis). Mario Chalmers was selected by Minnesota, but was traded to the Miami Heat.

Jayhawks selected in the 2008 NBA Draft

Podcast episode

Spodcasters

Spodcasters: Draft Day Edition

Ryan Greene and Tom Keegan break down Kansas University's record-tying night in the NBA Draft. KU became just the third program (UConn in '06, Florida in '07) to have five players drafted in the first two rounds. The guys break down who has the best chance to succeed in '08-'09, ...

Download podcast

Rush, Arthur cashing in with Pacers, Grizzlies

As the No. 13 pick in the NBA Draft, Brandon Rush will make $1,499,300 next season and $1,611,800 the following year.

The Indiana Pacers have an option for the third and fourth years at $1,724,200 and $2,463,880, respectively.

As the No. 27 pick, Darrell Arthur will make $814,300 the first year and $875,400 the second.

The Memphis Grizzlies, where the Associated Press said Arthur eventually landed early this morning, would have had an option for the third and fourth years at $936,400 and 1,689,270.

The Associated Press reported that after three trades, Arthur was traded from New Orleans to Portland to Houston, and finally wound up with the Memphis Grizzlies.

Second round picks do not have guaranteed contracts.

Cavs reportedly make trade for Kaun

Sasha Kaun was elated to be picked in the second round. He said he was informed he'd been traded from Seattle to Cleveland.

"It's great," Kaun said. "It's awesome, a great opportunity. I'll play with CSKA Moscow with a couple years and consider coming back here."

Of his teammates getting drafted, he said: "I was a little worried there for a minute (about Arthur who fell to 27 and Mario Chalmers who fell to second round). But I'm happy they got picked up."

Former Kansas guard Giddens a Celtic

Former KU player J.R. Giddens, who finished his career at New Mexico, was the last pick of the first round, to Boston.

"I was hoping it'd be Mario going to the Celtics," Self said. "But I'm really happy for J.R. I think he'll do well."

Ford's mock draft included all 5 'Hawks

ESPN analyst Chad Ford's final mock draft had Rush being tapped No. 11 overall to Indiana, Arthur No. 16 to Philadelphia and Chalmers No. 19 to Cleveland. He had Darnell Jackson No. 29 of the second round to Detroit and Sasha Kaun No. 30 of the second round to Boston.

KU draftees of 2008 make NBA history

Two Jayhawks were also selected in Round One in 1997 (Scot Pollard, Jacque Vaughn), 1998 (Raef LaFrentz, Paul Pierce) and 2003 (Nick Collison, Kirk Hinrich). This marks the first time KU had more than three players selected in a single draft. A KU trio was chosen in 1969 (JoJo White, Dave Nash, Bruce Sloan), 1971 (Roger Brown, Dave Robisch, Pierre Russell), 1981 (Darnell Valentine, Art Housey, John Crawford) and 1986 (Greg Dreiling, Ron Kellogg, Calvin Thompson).

Comments

Chris Shaw 11 years, 11 months ago

I know most feel Chalmers should have been drafted by the Celtics (I am one of those); overall the celtics had a good draft considering their position. They needed some guys to come in and help take some pressure off of Allen and Pierce during the season and they may have gotten it in Giddens and Walker. I still think the Celtics need a point guard, but maybe they will pick somebody up in free agency.

11 years, 11 months ago

J.R. Giddens and Bill Walker should add an interesting dynamic to the Celtics.

11 years, 11 months ago

Lebowski - Walker's decision to stay in the draft totally does not make sense to me either. His getting injured late in tryouts sure could not have helped his stock either. I think he was still eligible to withdraw at that point though if I am not mistaken. He could have come back next year and been a dominant player in the Big 12, and might have had lottery pick potential. He must have hated school or something. Perhaps he was worried about getting injured again. Who knows.

Brad Avery 11 years, 11 months ago

The Celtics blew it by not taking Chalmers at 30. They needed a point guard who could score. Rondo is not a good shooter and Chalmers would have been a perfect complement to Boston's lineup because a) he can handle the ball b) he is as good of a defender as Rondo and c) the opposing defense could not afford to ignore him as they do Rondo to help on Pierce or Allen. Giddens will sit behind Pierce and Posey until PP retires.

11 years, 11 months ago

Lebowski - I agree with you. I was actually being sarcastic, however as it often happens in posting, it did not clearly come across that way. If you look at the character of Giddens and Walker, the Celtics certainly weren't acquiring them for their humanitarian qualities. I guess we should give these guys a chance to prove otherwise.

justanotherfan 11 years, 11 months ago

The way this draft has shaken down, with all the trades, I wouldn't be surprised if there was another deal or two involving our KU guys before it all settles down. Teams are trying to solidify rosters not only for their summer teams, but also for next season. With free agency opening up next week, there may be more holes to fill, surprise opt outs and other weird stuff that necessitates a move or two.

Chris Shaw 11 years, 11 months ago

Overall, very good draft for the Jayhawks and it's great to see Kansas atop the record books with "5" Jayhawks being drafted. I share the same sentiment as Self in that I was hoping the celtics would pick up Chalmers. I really thought having a back up to Rondo or eventually have someone replace Rondo was at the top of their priority draft list, but with the drafting of Giddens (I also think this was a good pick for the celtics) this ultimately shows that they need a back up for Ray Allen to take off some pressure. Giddens is obviously very athletic and can shoot the rock, but we'll see how his attitude turns out. I think Giddens will be fine, but it would have been cool to see Chalmers in a Celtic uniform. It will be even cooler to see Chalmers dishing to Dwayne Wade next year in a limited role off the bench. You would think he could beat out Jayson Williams, but then again Chalmers is a rookie and he will need a learning curve. As for Arthur, you could almost sense that this was going to happen to him. I've always been hard on this kid for his "Soft Play", but I guess GM's were also concerned about that. I felt bad for Arthur, but it was good to see him go in the first round. Memphis got a steal in Arthur, but the Memphis Franchise as a whole is in utter chaos. I really hope he doesn't get lost in the shuffle while the GM and owner try to fix the situation there in Memphis. I wish Arthur would have been drafted 17th by Indiana rather than Hibbert. Arthur and Kaun will be making about the same money next year with the slight edge to Kaun. Anyone else think the Rush trade to Indiana is a little weird or odd? He will be playing with his brother which is cool, but he will also be competing with his brother for the same position which is very odd. I haven't figured out if this is a good situation for B Rush. At least he got taken in the Lottery which is sweet! Way to go D-Block! Going to Miami with Chalmers and Beasley! Good Draft for Miami!

Chris Shaw 11 years, 11 months ago

I guess after reading quite a bit this morning Kareem Rush doesn't know if he'll sign with the Pacers because he is a free agent. I guess that is why the Pacers probably took him with their pick. I guess it doesn't seem so odd now as I originally thought with the Pacers trading for Rush.

Nutflush21 11 years, 11 months ago

Gary, JR Giddens finshished his career at the University of New Mexico, not UTEP.

KEITHMILES05 11 years, 11 months ago

Former Kansas guard Giddens a CelticFormer KU player J.R. Giddens, who finished his career at UTEP, was the last pick of the first round, to BostonGary has had a long night! LOL