Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Gary Bedore’s KU basketball notebook

B-Rush may start contact drills next week

Injured guard Brandon Rush returned to practice from ACL surgery just two weeks ago, but doctors may allow him limited contact drills next week.

Hoops by Halloween? Not this year

Self's squad has been overshadowed by the Fighting Manginos this year. The Jayhawks play their first exhibition game against Pittsburgh State this Thursday at Allen Fieldhouse.

Stewart playing well

Don't be surprised if senior guard Rodrick Stewart plays a lot in Kansas University's exhibition opener Thursday at Allen Fieldhouse.

"Rodrick has been one of our most consistent performers, counting everyone on the team," KU coach Bill Self said. "Rod is by far the most active defender we have. He's always been pretty good. He's become better."

Self said the experience of Stewart and Jeremy Case may have them a "little bit ahead" of other backup guards, including Brady Morningstar, Tyrel Reed and Conner Teahan.

"You can't play seven guys on the perimeter," Self noted.

Three-guard offense

Self likes his three "little guards" - Mario Chalmers, Russell Robinson and Sherron Collins.

"The beauty of those three little guys is they are all interchangeable," Self said. "Whoever gets it, brings it. I could see them all playing 15, 20 minutes together (per game), subbing and playing with two of them in the game a majority of the other time."

CBE field

The Syracuse Post-Standard reports that KU, Syracuse, Florida and Washington will be host schools for next year's CBE Classic. KU will hold a two-day tournament involving four schools. Two victories there would vault KU into the semifinals at the Sprint Center.

Simien cut

The Minnesota Timberwolves on Monday released former KU forward Wayne Simien, who was acquired from the Miami Heat via trade last week. Simien, who currently is coming off arthroscopic knee surgery, is free to sign with another team or head to Europe.

"To this day, I never coached a better college player," Self said. "Hopefully he can get healthy. Wayne can play at that level and impact a franchise. He's not had the opportunity yet because of health concerns (salmonella and knee woes)."

Workouts

The Jayhawks normally practice 2-21â2 hours per day.

"From a practice standpoint, don't wear your guys out in November," Self said. "We're trying to cut back time. We went three hours yesterday. That's the only practice this year to go three hours."

Still, the grind since Oct. 12 has tested the freshmen.

"We had a few morning practices. I've gotten up, and I'm like, 'Boot Camp, again?''' exclaimed center Cole Aldrich. "It's been a blast so far. They're throwing a lot at us. We're trying to understand everything."

Trick or treat

Aldrich hopes to fit in some fun after practice on Halloween, his 19th birthday.

"I really want to go trick or treating. I love trick or treating. I don't think I've taken a year off. I went all throughout high school, and I'll probably do it until I'm 30," he said. "I know we have a big game Thursday, so I'm really going to get some good sleep and just get as much rest as I can, but hopefully get a little candy."

Recruiting updates

¢ Tyshawn Taylor, 6-foot-3 from Jersey City, N.J., orally committed to Marquette on Monday. He considered KU, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech and others.

¢ J'Mison Morgan, 6-10 from Dallas' South Oak Cliff High, will choose either KU, LSU, Alabama, UCLA or Cincinnati at a noon news conference Friday at his high school. "I haven't made up my mind yet. I'm still thinking about everything, but I'll be ready by Friday," Morgan told Rivals.com.

¢ C.J. Henry, 6-3 from Oklahoma City, still is deciding whether to play baseball or basketball next year. He recently completed his third minor-league season, hitting .184 for the Philadelphia Phillies' Class A team in Lakewood, N.J. He told Rivals.com he'll attend either KU, Memphis or Texas if he plays basketball. KU is the heavy favorite considering he committed to KU as a senior in high school.

¢ Devoe Joseph, 6-2 from Ontario, Canada, will visit KU this weekend. He will also visit Minnesota, Virginia Tech and Vanderbilt.

Comments

Trey Hohman 14 years, 8 months ago

a 6'11" trick or treater? (Weirdo?)...Signs of Scott Pollard anyone?

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 14 years, 8 months ago

The twins to decide on Thursday and Bobo on Friday? It should be an exciting week for KU basketball and football!

Chris Weaver 14 years, 8 months ago

poor wayne,

that guy was hurt his senior year in high school,

he never played a complete season at KU,

and now it sounds like his nba career is going to be cut short due to injury (or illness - salmonella - dude - wash your hands after handling the livestock).

usually you could argue that somebody that fragile lacked heart - but i think we all know that big dub had heart to spare. just unlucky i guess.

kraus42 14 years, 8 months ago

The Lord is testing you Wayne. He knows you can do it, and you should too. We all do. Best of luck, and make the most of every single chance you can.

Topside 14 years, 8 months ago

i give him a pass on the Trick or treating because its his B-Day.

okjhok 14 years, 8 months ago

So, it's been the Lord testing me this whole time? Damn, I thought it was just bad luck.

I don't think Coach Self has a choice when it comes to playing the "little guards" so much. You put the players out there that give you the best chance to win, and those three are clearly three of our five best (Rush included, even though he won't start the season). Seems to me all three should get 30+ this year.

You're right, billhawk, Thurs and Fri are huge for the future of this program. Also, this kid from Canada picked a good weekend to visit, with the NU game and all. Should leave a good impression.

justanotherfan 14 years, 8 months ago

CJ Henry would be a nice pickup considering that he won't take up a scholarship. He's not as skilled as his brother, but he's more skilled than your average walkon. That's a nice luxury to have if you're a program like Kansas, to get a talented guy without burning a scholie.

By the weekend I anticipate having three more signees.

John Strayer 14 years, 8 months ago

signees?---I think everyone at this point are still verbals...signing period doesn't start for a week or two.

Mr_Sandman 14 years, 8 months ago

I think KU will get the twin, but I am still not sure about Morgan. If all three sign that would be great, but adding the twins, Henry, and Joseph would make a nice class as well. You know the situation is a good one when even the worst case scenario sounds pretty good.

okjhok 14 years, 8 months ago

I could be totally off here, but I would compare CJ to Rodrick. Above all, a good athlete.

jayharchitect 14 years, 8 months ago

Wayne was always articulate and had a good head for basketball. Maybe he could start down the coaching path? Then 20 years or so he could be come in here and take over as head coach!

JayCeph 14 years, 8 months ago

If Wayne is still physically strong, all he has to do is heal up (knee surgery, salmonella [from some poorly prepared food in a restaurant from what I recall] and whatever else ails him...) and he'd make a great addition to any team in the League. I think he is still going to get paid for this season due to his contract but he is also now a free agent and could sign with anyone. If he does that, I think it would negate whatever he's supposed to get paid by the Timberwolves but I'm sure he'd take that option over just sitting around. He's a hard worker. Best of luck to him.

ChicagoJHawk 14 years, 8 months ago

I agree, this definitely is a huge week for KU basketball. I'm more concerned about getting Bobo than the twins, if I had to choose one way or the other but if we get both then that's awesome, we'll have a really solid recruiting class if we get both.

jman18562 14 years, 8 months ago

You guys realize this kid is only 19 right?

If it wasn't for basketball he'd be DRESSED UP AS Scot Pollard for Halloween getting wasted at costume parties!

Let the man have his free candy!

CasperCorps 14 years, 8 months ago

We need to get an NBA team in KC, and then pick up all KU players.. Pierce, Vaughn, Walters, Pollard, Simien, Chenowith, Giddens, Giles, Ostertag, Billy Thomas. Talk about unstoppable!!!! Your in our prayers Wayne...

CasperCorps 14 years, 8 months ago

And that Kid that went to Gonzaga too...

Chris Weaver 14 years, 8 months ago

i think that aldrich should get a real shaggy wig, and go trick or treating as sasha.

Chris Weaver 14 years, 8 months ago

my bet, is no matter what the kid dresses up like, the LJW will run a cover story on it thursday...

stay tuned sports fans.

Jeremy Bolinger 14 years, 8 months ago

if cole aldrich trick or treats at my house, that would be the biggest joke i have personally ever seen!

Chris McIlvain 14 years, 8 months ago

Why wouldn't they run a cover story on it? Based on the posts I've read here, LJW knows exactly what kind of audience it's pandering to...tools!

atexasjhawk 14 years, 8 months ago

Im a jayhawk living in texas. does anybody know if you can listen to the KU/Pitt State game on the internet anywhere? similar to the football games played on the radio over the internet.

ROCK CHALK