Sunday, March 8, 2009

Kansas notebook

Kansas guard Sherron Collins looks to pass against the Texas defense on Saturday, March 7, 2009 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Videos

Post-game: KU vs. Texas

video thumbnail

Complete post-game coverage of Kansas' matchup with Texas.

Audio clips

2009 KU-UT March 7

Senior sendoff

Per tradition, Kansas University seniors Brennan Bechard and Matt Kleinmann spoke to the fans after Saturday’s home finale versus Texas.

They were introduced by Hall of Fame KU announcer Max Falkenstien.

“I tried to convince Max to read Sherron’s accolades (instead of Bechard’s),” senior walk-on guard Bechard joked of teammate Sherron Collins.

“Coach Self ... I can’t thank you enough for three wonderful years. I enjoyed every minute of it, almost every minute,” Bechard added. “You taught me so much, how to be a man. I appreciate it.”

Kleinmann, who this weekend was accepted to the architecture-grad-school program at Washington University in St. Louis, is the first player in Big 12 history — and believed to be the first in KU history — to win five league championship rings.

“This is a dream come true to stand here and tell you thank you. Everybody talks about our leaders. Every year you’ve been our leader,” Kleinmann told coach Bill Self. “Today at halftime you were our leader.”

Kleinmann later explained Self’s halftime message — one delivered with the Jayhawks down, 44-37.

“I don’t know if I can repeat half of it,” Kleinmann said with a smile. “He called out a lot of guys and called them out for the right reasons. A lot of guys were taking it too casual. Not often do you have a chance to play for a Big 12 title on your home court and get a ring. It was basically the message he got across, especially guys like Tyshawn (Taylor, two points first half; nine second) and Mario (Little, four points second half, good defense on Damion James). Those two really responded.”

Today’s the day

The Associated Press today is expected to release its all-Big 12 teams. Collins and Cole Aldrich are expected to be tapped first-team all-league, while Self is expected to be named coach of the year.

Post game flavor

The Jayhawks celebrated a bit at midcourt after the final horn, with Collins fake-punching Travis Releford in the stomach. Kleinmann held a 2009 Big 12 Champions sign high in the air. The players stood arm-in-arm on the free-throw line extended as a Big 12 title video played on the center scoreboard.

Also, Collins had the league title trophy tucked beneath his legs, patting it at times as the seniors gave their speeches.

“I just wanted to soak it in as much as I could, to get the experience. I think I had a little bit more to do with this one than last year. I was holding it until all the seniors got done with their speeches so I could give it to them,” Collins said.

One more year

The fans chanted “One more year” as Collins shot free throws in the closing moments. They want him to return for his senior year and not head to the NBA.

“I heard ’em. I thought it was funny. I’m not thinking about it (NBA) right now,” Collins said.

First title

Taylor on winning the Big 12 title as a freshman:

“It feels good for all the newcomers, the transfers and freshmen to have our own title, so now nobody can say we didn’t earn anything,” Taylor said. “They’ve been saying that a little bit. Now we’ve earned it.”

It’s Baylor or Nebraska on Thursday

KU will meet either Baylor or Nebraska in a first-round Big 12 tournament game at 11:30 a.m. Thursday at Ford Center in Oklahoma City. BU and NU meet in a first-round game at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday.

“I don’t think it means much at all,” Self said of landing the No. 1 seed. “We’ll either play a Nebraska team that gives us fits or a Baylor team that’s good enough to beat anybody.”

Stats, facts

James had 20 points the first half. It was reminiscent of the KU-UT game on March 3, 2007, when Kevin Durant had 25 in the first half. Durant finished with 32 points in a losing cause; James finished with 26 ... James scored eight first-half field goals, the most since Durant drained 10 in 2007. ... James was held without a field goal the second half. ... James’ 26 points were the most points scored by an opposing player this season at Allen Fieldhouse. ... Releford started the second half in place of Taylor. ... KU has won five straight conference championships for the first time since the Jayhawks won six straight from 1921-1927. It is the first time that this feat has been accomplished in Big Eight and Big 12 history. ... KU’s seven-point halftime deficit was the largest overcome by the Jayhawks all season. ... Aldrich had three blocks and moved into 13th on the KU’s blocked shots list (111). ... UT hit 20 of 22 free throws, KU 23 of 26. ... Aldrich recorded his 18th double-double, which is tied for fourth most in a single-season. He has recorded a double-double in five of the past six games. ... KU’s bench outscored Texas’ 39-9. ... KU’s 10 turnovers tied the season-low mark for fewest turnovers in the game. ... Collins has scored over 20 points in five of the last six games.

Comments

Dirk Medema 10 years, 10 months ago

"James was held without a field goal the second half" - reminds me of his attempted layup late in the second half when Markieff pulled a strong safety move on him. It seemed to be a bit of a response to 'kieff's own failed layup at the other end. While you have to play smart, it was good to see him play tough and not back down.

theajayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

It is going to be one or the other. Sherron leaves = Wall comes to KU. Sherron stays = Wall out. He must be waiting till April to know about Sherron...then he can be the biggest factor in Lansas lineup.

John Brown 10 years, 10 months ago

I'd prefer Sherron to stay then 1 year versus Wall if that is the factor. It's one year either way. However, Sherron staying demonstrates a commitment to the program for which he is gaining great experience as a leader. However, Sherron and Aldrich need to work on the Chris Paul/Chandler Ali-oop thing. There was a highlight with Paul/Julian Wright.

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 10 months ago

I agree, jbrownjib...I'd rather keep Sherron.

cklarock 10 years, 10 months ago

I would love to see Sherron stay, but at the same time, I just want him to do whatever he and his family decide is best for them. If we're lucky, that will mean giving a Senior night speech.

Drew Alan 10 years, 10 months ago

They should have been chanting one more year to Aldrich, who is a mid-first rounder on most draft boards... considering Collins will be a point guard he needs to stick around for another year and show that he can take care of the basketball. Turnovers almost always lead to fast break dunks in the NBA, and a 1 to 1 Assist to Turnover ratio will not get it done as a point guard.

zissou 10 years, 10 months ago

Releford has been quietly impressive over the past few games. He flashed his finishing abilities yesterday, something I think is key to his development.

Great day to be a Jayhawk.

Nutflush21 10 years, 10 months ago

KU is on the outside looking in for John Wall and has been for quite some time. We have a much better shot at Stephenson.

bentleytiger 10 years, 10 months ago

Good day great KU fans, just wanted to stop by and congratulate you guys on your stellar BIG 12 championship. And to inform you that Memphis now has the NUMBER 1 ranked recruiting class in the country..Oooohh, I know, take a deep breath.. No , John is still keeping you guys in suspense, but Demarcus Cousins just committed. Mmm, good to be crappy school in a crappy city and a crappy conference..lol Have fun with Blake in the BIG 12 tourney..

kujayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Classy post Bentley. Our 5 national titles and all of our BCS conference titles feel great. Keep telling yourself free-throws don't matter in the tournament.

Good luck in your conference against, uh, UAB I guess. By the way, you do know Memphis is 1-2 against current Top 25 teams this year and 4-3 against Top 50 teams. Your conference is a joke.

JayhawkPhil64 10 years, 10 months ago

I hate to criticize fellow fans but all the talk about whether Collins stays or not is pretty unbelievable. Of course he is going to leave. And all the worry whether we will get Wall or not makes me ill. We have 14 people coming in next year for 13 scholarships even if Collins leaves and Wall comes here. Who else do you think is going to leave? I find it hard to believe that anyone would volunteer to leave. I have been a fan for over 40 years and am as loyal as anyone to the program but I will not be disappointed at all if we don't get Wall or that other guy we are still recruiting.

bentleytiger 10 years, 10 months ago

A joke the conference may be, but we are the real deal and it time for the teams in the GREAT BCS to recognize. The Tiger takeover has begun. And don't wish to hard for Lance, Coach Self will have to suspend him before he gets a clue. And we will see in a few weeks how much playing in a Great BCS conference help you in the tournament.

Marcia Parsons 10 years, 10 months ago

Someone call the editor and the grammar police.

youowethehawks 10 years, 10 months ago

Memphis at #1 is a sham. Does the #1 team in the nation only put up 58 points on Southern Miss? 55 on Tulsa? and less than 65 five other times? Colorado could take the Conference USA title.

Memphis should upgrade to the Sun Belt Conference.

bentleytiger 10 years, 10 months ago

lol!!!! It's refreshing that the only insults are about conference usa, thanks.. This shows your respect for the program, you don't want to see us again. Enjoy the gift we gave you last year and your hard fought Blake Griffin-less Big 12 title..lol Because that is all you will have to cheer about the rest of the season. You will lose in the second round, Collins is not superman (D.Rose).

Scott Lippoldt 10 years, 10 months ago

Bentely, I don't disagree that Memphis has another great team. That being said, you didn't give us the game last year--we took it from you! And, if you are referring to D. Rose as superman, he surely did not come through for you last year in the finals, huh?! Hey, and Blake Griffen-less Big 12 title or not, I would take 5 straight Big 12 titles anyday over however many you win in a row in conf USA--wonder which conference would be harder to do that in? And as for Caliperi or Self--I would choose class (SELF) every time. Good luck with UAB!

Tony Bandle 10 years, 10 months ago

bentleytiger

There is no question that you have a great team, with a great coach, with a great recruiting class coming in, as well as a great chance to do well in the Dance this year backed up by a great NC Game record...oh wait, I guess 0-2 is not so great

actorman 10 years, 10 months ago

JayhawkPhil, the issue has been discussed several times on these boards. If KU has an extra scholarship to use, Brady will probably give up his scholarship, because his dad can afford it.

bentleytiger 10 years, 10 months ago

You guys are GREAT, that's why I love visiting every few weeks. It's official we will play in St. Louis next year.. Wish it was this year, but oh well. All the free throw and NC record talk is cool, but those glory days are for the history books. And as for Blake, we kissed his ass last year, when he was 100%. Just like you beat us, LAST YEAR..And yes, I do have rings..lol

bentleytiger 10 years, 10 months ago

Ralster, please don't compare a future N.B.A superstar to a good ball player that will be lucky to get drafted in the second round. I like Collins and he is all you guys have this year, but be fair to the guy. He is not on D. Rose's level. Lawson and Curry are the only undersized point guards going in the first round..

jaybate 10 years, 10 months ago

Hi,

My name is bentleytiger and I'm a lossaholic.

Early on I didn't realize I had a problem. I used to believe I rooted for Fizzou, because they were my home team. But then I began to notice that I was more up and excited after they loss than after they won. When they hired Queen Snyder, I got very down for awhile. I was afraid they were going to get better. I started going to St. Louis Billiken games to get a losing high. But as soon as Queen Snyder proved himself to be a terrible coach, I resumed going to every Fizzou game. I knew I had a problem when I was angry that Queen Snyder was fired. I actually had autoerotic experiences during Queen's last year. When he was fired, I went into my room and would not come out for days on end fearing they would hire a good coach. They fulfilled my worst fears when they hired Mike Anderson, a decent but not great coach. I started imagining an extended period of decent, but not great teams. I grew depressed and inconsolable. Mediocrity was not acceptable to me. It was very frightening in fact. I could only be satisfied by outright losses, and then the more losses I experienced, the more I wanted. It became a craving, an obsession that I could not let go of. The first year with Mike Anderson was difficult, because he finally had Fizzou playing like an organized team. Fortunately, he did have much talent and so they didn't win too much. But this year has been brutal. This year I finally realized that I had a problem that was going to overcome me if I didn't get help immediately. This year Anderson got them to win over 20 games playing 40 minutes of purgatory defense. This year I found myself blacking out for weeks on end and waking up under the seats at UMKC, angry, hysterical, naked, looking for a loss fix.

jaybate 10 years, 10 months ago

My girl friend told me I had to go to Lossalholics Anonymous or she would leave me. I went. It has saved me. The Twelve Step plan really works. I have only fallen off the wagon once late in the season. I knew KU would kick Fizzou's a##, when Fizzou came to Lawrence. I couldn't help myself. I scalped a ticket for $6,500 from a KU alum and went to the game. I got that same old high watching KU beat the living snot out of Fizzou that I used to get. The loss felt so good,so intoxicating that I started lurking on the KUsports.com web site, well, not really lurking, because I registered under my own name. And I posted repetitively for awhile just to re-experience the thrill of losing. The more KU fans reminded me of how badly KU beat Fizzou, the more drunk on losing I became. Then I missed a Lossaholics Anonymous meeting, because I had gone up on Jayhawk Boulevard and laid down on the sidewalk in front of Strong Hall naked except for a Fizzou t-shirt and begged students to walk on me and berate Fizzou as they did. I was on a terrible binge. Fortunately, my dear, dear friend, Queen Snyder came and got me after nearly 2000 KU students had stepped on me and stuck Jayhawk stickers on my forehead. Queen too is a recovering Lossaholic, and if it weren't for him I probably would have died out there on Jayhawk Boulevard that day.

Instead, I am proud to say, I am living a clean life again and going to see a few Fizzou wins when I can. I know I will never be cured of my need to lose, but I know if I take it one day at a time, I can stay clean. I can resist the temptation to go on a losing binge. You can, too. Of course, KU fans never have to worry about that, do they?

Best regards, Bentleytiger