Thursday, January 29, 2009

KU scraps past NU

Little, Jayhawks dispute ‘soft’ tag

Kansas' Mario Little (23) and Nebraska guard Cookie Miller are restrained during a scuffle in the second half Wednesday, Jan. 28, 2009 at the Devaney Center in Lincoln. Both benches cleared to restrain the players.

Jayhawks conquer Cornhuskers for 12th consecutive time

The Jayhawks haven't lost against Nebraska since Bill Self's first season at Kansas.

Audio clips

2009 KU-NU Jan. 28

— Mario Little, who grew up on the mean streets of Chicago, doesn’t appreciate being called one particularly nasty four-letter word.

“Everybody has their own opinion of us that we’re soft,’’ Little, Kansas University’s junior forward, said after the Jayhawks out-slugged Nebraska, 68-62, on Wednesday night in Devaney Center.

“I’ve never played soft. I’ve never been soft. We’ve got to let teams know we’re not soft. Guys are out there trying to talk their talk and scare us verbally.

“It’s just talk. We got through it,” Little added after pulling down seven rebounds in a career-high 30 minute-stint.

Little didn’t back down when feisty 5-foot-7 guard Cookie Miller tied up the basketball with 8:47 left in an ugly, low-scoring game that was deadlocked at 44.

Miller tried to yank the basketball away from Little with two hands. He kept grabbing and pulling and yelling some things in the process — things that ultimately fired up the Jayhawks, who went on a 15-7 run to grab a 59-51 lead with 3:59 left.

“I don’t know what he was doing, but I wasn’t going to let it go. I had it with one hand. Good thing it was my good hand,” said Little, who had a hand injury earlier this season. “I wasn’t about to do anything. I know it got everybody fired up. It got Sherron fired up, and he got the whole team fired up.”

Collins was furious at the actions of Miller, who, “was trying to prove a point,” Collins said. “He was saying, ‘It’s our house,’ or, ‘It’s my ball.’ He’s so little, I think Mario could have picked him up there if he wanted to.”

“We weren’t going to take nothing from nobody,” Collins added. “They were trying to punk us in their house. We don’t back down.”

Collins — who had three turnovers and no assists on a night the Jayhawks had six assists versus 21 turnovers — responded to Miller’s challenge in crunch time.

After Sek Henry’s consecutive threes cut KU’s 63-56 lead to one point, Collins drew a controversial foul on the baseline and swished two free throws at :29.1 to up the lead to 65-62.

Collins then went high to steal a deep inbounds baseball pass at :16.4 and hit two more free throws to give KU a five-point lead and effectively ice the game.

“I got hit across the head,” Collins said of a Ryan Anderson bump called right before Henry blocked Collins’ inside shot. “The block was clean. Anderson hit me before I got the shot up.”

Of his steal, which resembled an interception on a deep pass in football, the 5-foot-11 guard said with a smile: “Some people say I can jump pretty high. I was dunking at shootaround today.”

Collins was more impressed how one of his teammates responded to Miller’s challenge.

Tyrel Reed hit consecutive threes that erased a 50-48 deficit and gave KU a 54-50 lead at 5:41.

Reed barked in Miller’s face after the second three.

“Tyrel got a little jaw-jacking in, a little out of character for him,” Collins said with a smile. “He keeps hitting big shot after big shot for us. He doesn’t back down.”

Reed, who scored seven points in 20 minutes, didn’t recall what he yelled at Miller, who finished with eight points off 3-of-10 shooting on a night Ade Dagunduro led the way with 24 points.

“I mean, in the heat of the battle, competitive juices ... it’s fun being out there,” Reed said. “I couldn’t tell you what I was saying in the heat of the moment.”

Coach Bill Self — who Little said also sometimes calls “us soft when we deserve it” — had a lot of things to say to his players (mostly negative) after KU improved to 16-4 overall and 5-0 in the league.

The Jayhawks were down by as many as 13 in the first half — a half in which Cole Aldrich didn’t score or grab a rebound and the Morris twins didn’t score or grab a rebound. It was a half in which KU had 13 turnovers and four assists.

“He (Aldrich) had a bad game. He’d be the first to tell you that. He didn’t play as well as he has been,” Self said of Aldrich, who finished with eight points and eight boards in 26 minutes.

“We’re very fortunate to win tonight because we played poorly. We wasted probably 20 possessions. This will be a great teaching tape. They know I’m not pleased right now.”

Still, Self will take the victory on a night the Jayhawks put up 39 shots (hitting 22) to NU’s 60 shots (24 makes).

KU outrebounded NU, 26-9, the second half.

That in itself is a sign of toughness.

“This game reminded me of the Oklahoma State game last year when it was sitting on a tee, and all we had to do was make plays,” Self said of a loss in Stillwater. “We didn’t, and they did. Tonight, it was sitting on a tee, and we’re up three at the under-four timeout, and we made some plays.

His bunch survived an undersized yet spunky NU team (12-7, 2-4) that came to defend its home turf.

“Nebraska made us look bad the majority of the game,” Self said. “You’ve got to find some ways to win when you don’t play your best. You have to win games like that if you want to have a good year.”

Comments

Godisajayhawk 11 years, 8 months ago

“He was saying, ‘It’s our house,’ or, ‘It’s my ball.’ He’s so little, I think Mario could have picked him up there if he wanted to.”Did that make anyone else laugh?

kansas22 11 years, 8 months ago

Seeing this young team pull off a win like this after playing so badly the majority of the night was good to see. You're not always going to play well and when you don't you just have to find a way to win. I have a feeling Cole isn't going to sleep too much until he can get out there and play Saturday vs. Colorado. He looked pretty bad most of the night.

David Hall 11 years, 8 months ago

i think cole will have a good game again colorado

FlaHawk 11 years, 8 months ago

After Cole's bad game, Ican only think that WIthey is kicjing his ass in practice. Withey is a finesee player and not a banger. Ihope Cole gets his grove back, because he looked absolutely aweful last night.KU4 and 5 positions are soft and don;t have a scorer or a stopper, behind Cole. Cole is foul prone and not really a 35-40 minute a game baller.NU defense was awesome and made KUl ook bad. Thanks to good shotting KUwon. It was ugly and depressing but it is a win and KU can go on to CU game at AFH.

jayhawker97 11 years, 8 months ago

hmm.. sacked by a rookie can be quite a motivation to play better for Cole. besides, he's still got a couple days to review the tape (grounded).:)go hawks!

actorman 11 years, 8 months ago

"After Cole's bad game, Ican only think that WIthey is kicjing his ass in practice. Withey is a finesee player and not a banger. Ihope Cole gets his grove back, because he looked absolutely aweful last night."Five words come to mind: space bar and spell check.Kansas22 put it best: this looked like another one of those blowout losses, a la UA and MSU. But KU kept battling and fought their way through the rough patches. It's a definite sign of maturing. Now let's see what they do next week against Baylor, a much tougher opponent.I also found Sherron's comment funny, Godis.Gary referred to Miller as "feisty." I think a more appropriate term for him would be "Napoleonic complex." What a putz.

KEITHMILES05 11 years, 8 months ago

What is the four letter word? Not to be stupid but I can think of 5-6-7 letters........

CaramelMacchMan 11 years, 8 months ago

Cookie Miller will be welcomed in Field house soon!Just can't wait... i'm changing plans now. Not coming to watch Colorado game and come for Nebraska game.!!

Matt Bowers 11 years, 8 months ago

Keithmiles05, The four letter word was "soft." Bad game, great victory. NU players and coaches showed little class last night. What was with ESPN showing the dude with the scary face paint on, over and over again? Rock Chalk

Fred Davis 11 years, 8 months ago

I was pleased with how different guys stepped up last night - especially Tyrel... His back-to-back threes were huge and he's a guy that is getting more and more confident as the season wears on... This was definitely a game that KU probably would have lost earlier in the season - yet losing those games to Syracuse and UMass helped set up last night's win - the guys looked confident at the end, made smart plays and Sherron - who took way too much blame from KU fans at the beginning - was an absolute Monster at the end of that game... If Sherron isn't the best PG in the country, then I'm crazy... That dude is the reason we're 16-4...Rock Chalk

Timmay97 11 years, 8 months ago

Has anyone thought about where this team would be WITHOUT Collins? We have so much talent on this team, but if Collins were not around, we would not have won the past two games on the road. KU was about to get pummeled ala Arizona and Michigan State, but Collins wouldn't allow it. He scored 7 straight points, knowing his team needed it. Even better, not one of those shots in the first half during his streak was forced. This team will go as far as Collins will take them. Without him, we truly are a mediocre team. Most of you might not agree, but it's my opinion. Great win last night....lets blow through Colorado and head to our biggest test in the Big 12 (for now) Baylor.

ohjayhawk 11 years, 8 months ago

What's up with Nebraska and players named "Cookie"? I know of only two cookies that have ever played Div I ball, and both of them played for Nebraska. That just defies all odds.

tckramer 11 years, 8 months ago

What about D. Manning out there keeping the peace during the mugging? I was watching the game and was trying to figure out if Self called the timeout in time to keep the ball. Next thing you know you see players looking like there might be a fight and right there is Manning calming things down, very impressive.I understand why coach Self is upset at their play but deep down he is very proud of what they overcame last night. Just a few weeks ago this would of been a loss.

mikehawk 11 years, 8 months ago

I think he is proud deep down too. He is coaching already for Sat., not wanting a big let down by taking Colorado too lightly by looking past to Baylor. That game last night was like a street fight in the aftermath of being jumped. Our guys came in like it was a "sit down" and they brought switchblades. You find out who has cahunas in these types of games. We knew Sherron has a couple of big ones, and it looks like Tyrel might have a couple he brought with him from Burlington, also.

jchief40 11 years, 8 months ago

The only players that are soft or who I believe would give us that impression is none other than the MORRIS TWINS. Markieff and Marcus - yup you all are SOFT! Get it together!! I know you're young but it is what it is. SOFT

Lindsey Buscher 11 years, 8 months ago

"Collins drew a controversial foul on the baseline" Bedore, nothing controversial about that call, unless you're a Nebraska fan. Collins got smacked across the head on that play. Even Shorts-on-Backwards figured it out and detracted and said it was the right call. Do you even pay attention to the games? The real controversy was the no-call on the play preceding the Little Cookie incident. when the ball got knocked away from Collins--that guy wasn't playing good D, he just ran into Collins.

Jarod DeLozier 11 years, 8 months ago

I am so glad that someone else remembered the shorts incident with Gottlieb. That was one of my most memorable games when I was at KU. I still have a hard time with that guy's arrogance these days because I think about him putting his shorts on backwards. Thanks for bringing that up Puggy.

Joel Hood 11 years, 8 months ago

Puggy drops a "Shorts-on-Backwards" quote. nice...

Jeremy LeMaster 11 years, 8 months ago

THe "shorts-on-backwards" comment had me rollin! Very nice Puggy!Speaking of the SoB... after the Cookie incident, I like that he called him a punk on national TV.

rockchalkin54 11 years, 8 months ago

"What was with ESPN showing the dude with the scary face paint on, over and over again?"They kept showing a guy with a stupid corn hat too.

biggbear 11 years, 8 months ago

Delo, I agree that Gotlieb's arrogance usually grates me the wrong way, but he grew on me last night. Some of his comments had me cracking up. Like the comment about Velander, "...looking at Velander, obviously Nebraska didn't hire his father to sign him." There were a few others I was laughing about, but can't recall off the top of my head.

TtownHawk 11 years, 8 months ago

"After Sek Henry’s consecutive threes cut KU’s 63-56 lead to one point, Collins drew a controversial foul on the baseline and swished two free throws at :29.1 to up the lead to 65-62" You're right Puggy, this was not a controversial play unless you are a nebraska fan who has his blinders on.

KUPROUD 11 years, 8 months ago

rockchalkin54, it's Nebraska, and there aren't a lot of pictures of interest to show. Not to many championship banners on the ceiling.Just a word about Cookie, I don't mind his actions at all. He is a Husker who takes pride in his team and his home court, and shows a lot of toughness and desire to win. He helped keep his crowd and team in the game. His mistake was that he also got our team riled up to show some toughness. Thanks, Cookie.

jayhawkintexas 11 years, 8 months ago

Hopefully, one of the lessons the guys learned last night is that in the Big 12 you have to be tough from the opening tipoff and execute the whole 40 minutes. The bad news is the 21 turnovers, the good news is that this young team is growing up.

jayhawk1908 11 years, 8 months ago

Did anyone else notice that right after the Cookie fireworks that Sherron took a well guarded jumper at the top of the circle and at the next whistle Self took him out? When Collins gets fired up he will usually try to do everything on his own outside the offense, not waiting for screens and shooting with 30 seconds on the shot clock. In a genius move that I have been calling for since the Syracuse game, Self pulls him out, gets him to channel his intensity in the right direction, puts him back in and he controlled the game. At that moment KU could not afford to turn the ball over or have quick possessions like Sherron does in those situations. People say that winning a championship doesn't make you a better coach. While the cause and effect may not be there, Self seems to be making most of the right moves during the course of a game or at least learning from mistakes quicker than he ever has. If KU keeps it up and wins the games they are supposed to, this will go down as Self's best coaching job of all time.

JayhawkPhil64 11 years, 8 months ago

I have heard coaches say their players need to be tougher but I have never heard one say they needed to be more "manly". Now that I think of it, that is an appropriate word to use when addressing such a young team.Did you see the way Self blasted one of the Mario twins early in the game? I have a feeling we will continue seeing Thomas for 5 to 10 minutes a game and Mario at the power forward more time than we would like. He didn't play much but I like the way Releford played while he was in there.One of the biggest shots in the game was a seemingly nondescript shot Collins took on a fast break. He came barreling down the court, stopped on a dime at about 10 feet, and hit a short jumper. That is one of the hardest shots in basketball. Usually if you are going that hard down the court, and the defense won't give you a layup, it is easier to pull up from about 20 feet because your momentum can carry the ball from there. If you don't stop until you are close, the momentum will make the shot go up to hard and if you over compensate, it will go off the front of the rim. It is very difficult to get it just right but Collins did.

4jhawks4ku 11 years, 8 months ago

Collins is by far the best guard in the nation. His huge Nads have carried a team ( that virtually lost everyone off the national championship team) to the respectability that the best college program in the nation deserves. His toughness is rubbing off on Brady and Tyrel. The guys a winner. Its in his blood. He stepped in between Little and Baby Cookie like Darnell used to do and everything stopped. Aldrich and the twins have got to get a heck of a lot tougher from here on out. You cant have these baby sized guards stripping the ball from our bigs under the basket. Go up strong or else insert Releford and Thomas. They want to play bad and they play hard. Excuse me while I step down off this soap box.

PAHAWK1 11 years, 8 months ago

jayhawk1908, I observed the same last night. I agree with you completely. jchief40, are you really a KU fan? You and a few others have been calling out Twins a lot. Most of the KU fans are frustrated by their inconsistent play but we still support our team. We should encourage these freshmen and stop making derogatory comments or stop talking about transfer. It is very easy to call some one soft hiding behind a LJW site. We have been blessed with a great coach and players. Let us all enjoy the ride.Puggy, thanks for reminding us of Shorts-on-backwards. LOL. By the way, Gottlieb has always been a Self supporter (OSU connection). Lately, he may be the only one giving KU a positive review on ESPN.

jayhawk02 11 years, 8 months ago

I loved it whenever Gotlieb called Cookie a "punk" on national TV. I have always liked Gotlieb, and yes, I cracked up remembering the time he came out with his shorts on backwards at AFH. And I respected Gotlieb for showing a good sense of humor when he did it.

not_important 11 years, 8 months ago

Please don’t go crazy about this comment, because I do enjoy watching Sherron play about 98% of the time. Collins is tough and does carry us through rough patches and this team needs him to do that, but he still lets his ego get in the way at times. Sherron said last Saturday that in the past he would have tried to keep pace with Brackins, but he knew the team needed to do it and not just himself. That was laudable, but last night the ego flared up a bit. After the Little-Miller fracas, we get the ball on the alternate possession. I immediately thought that Collins might want to show Cookie who’s the boss. Before I could get the words out of my mouth, Sherron tried taking Miller off the dribble, realized he wasn’t getting by, stepped just inside the three point line and took a 19-foot, 2-pt shot with Miller right in his face. I believe it was an airball, or it was a horrendous brick off the left side of the rim. Nebraska was able to take the lead on the ensuing possession.He is getting better at picking his places to carry the team, and he didn’t force the issue too much last night like he did versus Syracuse. When the team is rolling he doesn’t let his ego get out of check like last Saturday. However, there are still times when his ego gets the better of him. He is the sparkplug that keeps our engine firing, but I’m hoping we see him take that final step and stays under control all of the time.

RyanHawk 11 years, 8 months ago

So 0 assists and 3 turnovers is the BEST guard in the nation? Collins isn't anywhere close to the best guard in the nation but he is the heart and soul of this team. Jodie Meeks and Jeff Teague are both pretty good guards and mean everything to there team as well. This team will go as far as Collins takes us and he has been a great leader but if I was an opposing coach I would trap him as much as I could because he makes horrible decisions when he gets trapped or dribbles into a double team!Anyways, Kudos on the tough win last night Hawks.I was a surprised Little didn't start the game since Nebraska runs a 4 guard offense. That is why we were down 6-0 before we knew what happened because Cole or Marcus can't guard a guard and they couldn't score on the other end to help us.Gottlieb was hilarious last night and love that he actually expresses his opinion on air and call a guy like Cookie a punk. Most announcers won't do that. I think at one point they were even talking about Dungeons and Dragons during the game, Hilarious!

lance1jhawk 11 years, 8 months ago

I remember the "Shorts on Backwards incident real well. I think Gotlieb actually dropped trow during a TV timeout in the hudle or maybe Eddie called a timeout, because the Allen Field House fans were being relenltless on him.

Brian Skelly 11 years, 8 months ago

Look. We played like hell on the road with a young team and still won. Thats how we have to look at it.We'll be 6-0 in conference after Saturday.If we can go no worse than 2-2 over the four after that (at Baylor / OSU / at Mizzou / at KSU) we'll be in great shape. In fairness, that maybe a big if. Our youth makes us look so sloppy at times. But the REAL problem is that sometimes Collins is the lead dog in our sloppy play. Thats when we really get in trouble.If we go 11-5 in a "rebuilding" year we should be happy.

kuballa09 11 years, 8 months ago

First off, sherron's great but he's definitely not the best guard in the nation (see Teague, Jeff among others). But he is the man we look to when we're lost out there and if he steps up we win, if he makes too many mistakes, we lose. Anyway, did anyone else notice how hard the Twins were playing when they came in together the second half? They were frantically fighting for boards, especially on the "O" side. I agree they need to step up, but I think that was a good sign and something we haven't seen from em until last night. Hopefully they'll understand that's how hard they have to play from here on out. Ugly win, but it'll definitely help us win on the road from here on out. And Aldrich better run some sprints to get ready for Missouri if he was tired after this one.

GridironHawk 11 years, 8 months ago

I have to disagree with the Sherron posts. Sherron is certainly one of the best PG in college basketball and without him this team would not even win 15 games let alone the 20+ they will get. The shot after the jump ball came with the shot clock running down (not to mention Cookie fouled him on it). Since it was NOT an alternating position (KU had the ball when the jump was called) the shot clock does not reset. The one thing I do agree is that Sherron can let his emotions get the best of him at times (Syracuse), though that is also what makes him so tough. Sherron has the same "it" factor that Chalmers has and you can't teach that.

kranny 11 years, 8 months ago

I agree that Teague is fantastic but look at what he has to play with. Put Sherron on the same team and they are both the same. Sherron is doing great with what we have. I'm not saying he's playing with Chumps, but Sherron is expected to be the man on a team that is full of freshmen and sophomores. Teague does not have the same expectation. A lot of Collins' turnovers are results of his teammates not being in the right place at the right time. I don't know how many times I've seen our guys simply stand and watch Sherron when he drives instead of flashing to the basket. Last night we stood around and watched Cole get rebounds instead of hitting the boards also. I think we also need to rethink the "hedge" with Cole at the top of the key. NU's coach did an excellent job of exploiting that.

Meghan Sullivan 11 years, 8 months ago

Can't wait til Cookie and the Huskers come to the Fieldhouse... Get 'em Hawks!

Theutus 11 years, 8 months ago

I'm honestly in shock that so many of you think Collins is the best PG in the country. I don't even think he's the best PG in the big 12.Collins is a turnover machine. Does he score a lot? Yeah. But he also takes a LOT of shots. He forces the issues on too many occasions, and plays out of control a majority of the time. If you counted his TERRIBLE shots as turnovers (because generally speaking they should be), then he'd have as many turnovers a game as he has points. Some of his shots are so off-balance and contested that it's ridiculous he even takes them. Usually it's before he's even passed the ball once on the possession.Best PG in the nation? Seriously? I'm all about "team support", but it's that same support that has Collins thinking he's Michael Jordan, and causing turnovers left and right. Just once, i want to see his ass sat on the bench for making stupid turnover after stupid turnover... Instead it's almost like Self is encouraging his out-of-control play.

4jhawks4ku 11 years, 8 months ago

Collins Bashers pay heed, Jodie Meeks 1.7 assists per game Jeff Teague 3.8 assists per game Sheron Collins 5.1 assists per game. Without Collins we are battling it out with Colorado and KState. And if Im not mistaken doesnt the player you pass to actually have to put it through the rim to count as an assist?.

Theutus 11 years, 8 months ago

Ok, so he has a decent amount of assists per game... Now lets compare his turnovers. Even without including his TERRIBLE shots, which are turnovers in my mind.

jaybate 11 years, 8 months ago

tckramer,Manning's response was very interesting. I got the feeling Manning was worried that all of Self's calling them soft and challenging the bigs to become enforcers was finally going to erupt in a serious brawl. He tried to prevent it.I wonder if Manning and Self are differing on this "get tough" policy of Self's?

kcmostwanted 11 years, 8 months ago

Exactly!!!! SHERRON IS A STUD!!!! and definitely doesn't get the credit he deserves. I'm not saying this team is bad but we're definitely not in the same class as some of the elite teams in the nation because of youth and lack of experience. That being said, put a Ty Lawson or any other point guard in this line up and we're in trouble. In my opinion, Sherron is one of the most complete guards in the nation. The one knock on him is the turnovers but considering how much he has to make things happen, i'm not suprised at his Ast/TO ratio... This isn't the best comparison but I mean look at D Wade, he's averaging ~ 4 TO/gm... WHY?? because he has the ball in his hands most of the time and he has to initiate the offense for a very average team...I would like for Sherron to cut back on his TO but at the same time I really can't blame him because when he's in the zone, we win games... like what was mentioned above...he has the "IT" factor!!!... too bad he's not 4 inches taller though..oh well he's still my favorite Jayhawk!!

JayhawkDynasty 11 years, 8 months ago

Every team is soft until they have a true test to prove their toughness. In a game like last night, when you are being out-played by a very beatable team, and you find a way to win - there is no truer testament to toughness. As ugly as they have looked, the growing pains from Syracuse, UMass, Arizona, and Michigan St., are finally paying off. Regardless of how horrendous some of last nights game looked, the toughness that carries a team to a conference title and Sweet 16 (maybe even further) is there. You don't always have to play the best basketball to win a basketball game...and that is what gives me confidence about this years squad making a run late this season.

Nick Cole 11 years, 8 months ago

The Cookie hath crumbled. Let's smack those Nebraska punks in the mouth when they come to AFH. I have never heard a more classless crowd of NU fans complain so much and then boo after the game. Pathetic. I am now truly looking forward to them coming to town, but lets take care of business on the way. ROCK CHALK!

Chris Shaw 11 years, 8 months ago

Wow! Wish I could have been on here earlier to provide some insight. Well, my prediction held true and last nights' game was indeed "Very Scary". I didn't know for sure, but I had a gut feeling Cole wouldn't play well (Wish I would have posted that yesterday-at least I was 1/2 way right). When you have a guard oriented team, like Nebraska, I don't think it ever bolds well to play "Big". You're always a step slow and your "Normal" post moves are always rushed by the "Horse Flies" buzzing around your ankles. I also agree, as do many other posters, that it was a smart move to play "Small" ball with Nebraska. A couple of observations.Have you noticed that "High-Lo" offense could be easily transtioned into a "Princeton Offense" with a simple back-door cut. I hope we start instituiting that into our offense. I was Screaming for it to happen last night. If you notice, there was 4 or 5 times where Nebraska, much like Duke, over pursued at the top of the key when the guard was dribbling towards another gurard at the 45 degree angle and got the steal or simply got their hands on the ball. During that dribble motion at the top of the key towards the "Angle Spots" opposite court behind the dribbler you'll notice is the other guard getting a screen from one of the posts. The the other post is on the opposite block transitioning to get "Strong Side", but for a brief moment that leaves the "Weak Side" completely open to the basket. Instead of the guard that is about to get the ball staying up or near the 3 point line, hat guard should release the pressure and go back-door and get the pass from Tyshawn or Collins or vice versa. I was waiting for that back-door all night, because it was open, but it never happened. Once the back-door happens that guard has 4 choices to make. 1) Pull-up for the jumper 2)Take it to the wrack3)Pretend to take it to the wrack and make a simple pass or make the spectacular lob-pass dunk to Cole Aldrich or 4) Take it to within 5 feet and kick it opposite side for the "Trey.

Chris Shaw 11 years, 8 months ago

Finally, I know some people are "Down" on Collins, but I would still take Collins over any other point guard in the nation. We've seen Collins in two modes and we have not seen him mode 3 yet. Mode 1 consists of him being adaptable to everyone on the court much like a "Role Player". We witnessed this "Sherron" the first two years of his carrer. Mode 2 consists of him being overly aggressive and carrying the team, much like carrying a dump truck up Pikes Peak. Mode 3 is anywhere in between the the other two in a "Conservative Aggressive" mode. I'm backing Collins because he is still learning what it takes to "Find" equilibrium between those two modes. It's a process and that is what the regular season is for. Yes, too many times last night Collins got himself into trouble, Which absolutely drives me nuts, but I LOVE with a capital "L" baby, his aggressiveness. It's much easier to "Curtail" and "Contain" a player like Collins than it would be some or most other point guards. Out of any point guard in the country, nobody, and I mean nobody is has a "Sweeter Stroke" and is shooting it as consistently as Collins. For all of his responsibilities, Collins is a "Great" shooter. I can only hope that as the season progresses that flaws, which many have pointed out above, will slowly be eliminated from his game. No other point guard in the country has the responsibilities or the "Team" make-up in the same manner that collins does. Collins is a downwright stud and I love the fact, even though I know it's wrong, that he challenges opposing players. Ugly, Ugly, Ugly win, but I think we all knew it was going to be like that last night. Go KU!

Lin Rahardja 11 years, 8 months ago

We scrapped one against a scrappy team. If it wasn't because of NU's poor shooting percentage in the second half, it could easily have been a different outcome. They are actually a veteran team who knows how to run their set plays. Their coach obviously knows how to maximize the players.Cole looked like he had a blind fold on him. He looked raw out there. He will bounce back though. Collins needs to step up his defense.

jasonsgill 11 years, 8 months ago

Teague has fewer assists and more turnovers per game than Sherron. I'm not saying Sherron is the BEST pg in the country, but he is definitely top five. And I do think that he is the best leader in the country. He is taking a team with almost no experience (Cole averaged, what, 8 minutes last year) and taking them to the top 25.Also, about his shot selection: I think he forces the issue some. But he is the spark that gets us going. And he's shooting 44% from the field (not great) and 40% from three (pretty damn good) which is decent efficiency when he's the guy taking shots when no one else will.

kusarge 11 years, 8 months ago

NEB : Doc Sadler showed NO CLASS at the end of regulation last night, it was mentioned but I feel strongly on this as well. No controversy on that call at all. He's over there yelling his ass off, looking like a poor man's Rodney Dangerfield. NU Athletics = think they're WAAAAY better than reality.And those of you thinking Gottlieb is arrogant, etc., I have news for you - he is the only ESPN college hoops analyst without a unnatural relationship with East Coast hoops, aka ACC / Big East. He actually talks the NATIONAL scene, and being from Big XII country, he knows the region well. Listen to his radio show / read his ESPN articles, he often gives KU props when no one else dare.

kuballa09 11 years, 8 months ago

Speaking of props, I'm a little surprised we haven't cracked the Top 25 lately. We haven't played big name teams but our record against the RPI top 50 is 5-2, I believe. We've handled some tough road games and are still getting Rodney Dangerfielded. I mean, St. Mary's is ranked, really? They haven't played anyone at all. I know rankings don't matter and all, but you would think a national powerhouse and defending national championship team would get a little more respect.

kuballa09 11 years, 8 months ago

wow I didn't realize we had two rodney dangerfield comments in a row, my bad. Make that 3 i guess...

denverhawk134 11 years, 8 months ago

Doug Gottlieb was hilarious last night. Besides calling cookie a "punk", at one point he was talking about how nebraska had to play scrappy defense and their small size; "it's not that their size is hurting them, it's that they are grossly inept at scoring the basketball", shortly after that the comment "it's by no means aesthetically pleasing" I don't know why, but I thought that was hilarious. Doug must have been drunk, who wants to be in nebraska sober anyway.

Theutus 11 years, 8 months ago

I actually enjoyed Gottlieb last night, atleast moreso than most of the typical "they need to get it to the team leader [insert highest average point leader here] to win this game." commentary.When he called out cookie I laughed out loud..... And when he bashed Kansas for playing like girls, and called out Collins for having an atrocious first half, I thought "finally, someone who calls it like it is".

kufankam 11 years, 8 months ago

i am kinda of shocked at the backlash toward collins? does anyone else remember that self was the one saying that he needed to get up around 22 shots in order for the team to be as good as they can become? last night he shot 11 shots... and he made 6 of them. while he can get a little to jacked at times and make bad decisions, who doesn't? especially, when everone watching college basketball knows that the ball will and must go through him. self said that sherron needs to get shots up. self said that sherron is going to have more turnovers with the increased time of having the ball. why all of a sudden are all of you supposed KU fans bagging on the guy? so he didn't have an assist last night?! who cares!! a lot of things were alarming about last night... but we won! if you're a fan, cheer for the team that you are calling yourselves "fan"atics of... otherwise, start trying to promote up from the junior high coaching ranks and take bill's job.... because bill wants sherron getting shots up and he wants the offense going through sherron. with that, comes some bad decision making. but thus far, it also comes with 18+ pts a game! those of you calling for self to bench his ass are laughable... yeah, let's bench the player that our coach is wanting to center the offense around?!tougher opponents ahead!! let's hope we sure up some areas and can weather the storm. either way, it'll be a fun ride!rockchalk!

David Howell 11 years, 8 months ago

I'll take the victory, but we have to quit having these learning tape kind of games. We turned the ball over time after time making passes to people that weren't even open. Yes, Cole had a bad first half, but now he knows what it feels like to have 3 midgets at once hack him and try to pull his pants down. He will be better for it and played a lot better in the second half.Little is getting better and contributing more each game he plays. I was glad to see he had 30 minutes in him last night. The twins seem to disappear too often or get in foul trouble. Yes they can rebound and get trash buckets ............ Their best asset is inside position in the blocks.My concern is Collins. We need him and all bad plays aside he is the little engine that makes us run. However, he has to penetrate more and then dish to the open man. To me he pentrates, but usually decides to do it himself even though he is covered or double teamed. Is it just me, or is Tyrel working so hard to get open only to find that Collins won't pass him the ball ?? Watch sometime, Collins just doesn't seem to want to look his way .............. Tyrel is a defensvie liability, but when we need a big bucket we have to look more to him.

Blake Brown 11 years, 8 months ago

Great win. We lose this game earlier in the season. Good to see the twins hit the offensive boards.and make FTs. Good contribution from Releford. He is stiil too mental. evidenced from his first move after entering the game when on offense, he is in the flow of passing the ball around the perimeter and his defender completly left him leaving a path to the basket and he continues to juut pass around the key. And when he is under the basket, he jumps laterally instead of up on layups and almost missed the one at the end of the first half. Big 3s by Reed. Great energy from Mario. I like the tandem of our bigs now 5 deep. We are getting the toughness needed to compete aginst the likes of Texas, Oklahoma and the team across the boarder. Big game coming up there.ROCK CHALK!

bayareajhawk 11 years, 8 months ago

A lot of what I've been thinking has already been said, so I'll just point out the picture at the top of the story. I love it. When Cookie Miller pulled the old "hold me back, hold me back" routine, look who stepped right up: Mario and Sherron, our two Chicago boys. You've got to love their toughness. If that would have been a playground instead of a fieldhouse, they would have ripped Cookie apart and shared him over a glass of milk. Of course, had it been a playground (and there weren't three referees ready to step in) I bet Cookie would have kept his mouth closed and just waited for the next play. I can't wait until the Allen crowd gets to welcome him to Lawrence.

JayhawkPurist 11 years, 8 months ago

A 100% Mario Little makes this team a legit Sweet 16 threat. Is it just me, though, or does it seem like whenever the camera cuts to a close up of Little he's grimacing? This doesn't bode well for Little getting to 100%.

LAJayhawk 11 years, 8 months ago

Jodie Meeks: 25.8 ppg, 1.7 assists, 3.0 TOs, .56 A / T (terrible), 47.7% FG, 44.5% from 3 (very good)Jeff Teague: 20.9 ppg, 3.8 assists, 3.6 TOs, 1.06 A / T, 52.4 % FG, 53.8 % from 3 (ridicoulous #, but he's only attempted 58 shots)Sherron Collins: 18.7 ppg, 5.1 assists, 3.4 TOs, 1.49 A / T, 44.2% FG, 39.6% from 3Clearly Sherron is better at passing the ball and with much less help. He isn't shooting the ball as well, but again (and especially with regards to Teague) he has much less help around him which puts far more pressure on Collins. Also, I think it is important to point out that while Collins has already shot more 3s than he did all of last year (111 to 105) he has a higher 3 point percentage (39.6 versus 36.2), and we all know he had WAY more help last year.I'm not attempting to make the "best guard in the nation" argument (I will leave such pointless endeavours to the so-called "analysts"). I do think that Sherron is a very good player, however, and his numbers support that. He has turned the ball over a bit too much and forced some shots, but he has grown considerably over the last few weeks. He deserves all the praise put upon him simply because this team would probably not even be .500 without him. As a couple of other posters have said, it's that willingness to push and take the game into his own hands that allows for great things to happen (ie the 7 points in 30 seconds yesterday). Chalmers was the same way.And lets not forget, Mario Chalmers made some terrible decisions with the ball in almost every game. But like Sherron, he's a winner. And winners win.

8808 11 years, 8 months ago

A few thoughts: Yes Tyrell showed onions, but he just about blew it on the late two on one (which he should have held up on) and then let his guy immediately hit the second three. The end of game paralysis is something that will stick with me until proven otherwise. Gottlieb is great calling a game, but ironic that he throws stones at others so often. Considering he was kicked out of ND for stealing a wallet...his roomates. I agree with Fran that a team plays 5 great games, 5 terrible games and the rest in the middle. We just won one of the five worst, which is good. We still get sped up so easily, but it is to be expected. Twins actually played like their hair was on fire, good to see. Their minutes were crucial to the glacier-like comeback. Self finally benched Sherron when he deserved it. Not for long, but enough to point his emotion in the right direction. Good to know we can get hit in the nose and find our way back. Tough stretch after CO. Feb should be interesting.

westernkshawk 11 years, 8 months ago

For those of you too young to remember, the Gottlieb incident happened when he came on the court with his shorts on backwards. The crowd howled relentlessly and someone then called a time-out. The OSU players all huddled around Gottlieb while he dropped his drawers and put them back on right. Needless to say, he was harrassed the rest of his career vs KU and, obviously, the fans have NOT forgotten!

LAJayhawk 11 years, 8 months ago

As to the game:Self was absolutely right in the fact that we gave away probably at least 20 possesions. Terribly careless with the ball. One particular point that I have noticed over and over occured again (a few times) last night, one in particular leading to a layup: the guards do not come back for the ball on a pass. Actually this is true of almost everyone. When a pass is in their direction, they stand and wait for it instead of stepping toward it. This has lead to many turnovers in several games this season. It's just fundamentals and it drives me crazy.We were helped out last night by the fact that Nebraska stinks, and they cannot score. If that was at least an averaging shooting team we don't win. It is a win on the road, however, and I'll take it. A hard-fought, scrappy win.

Jhawk2515 11 years, 8 months ago

Haha that was hillarious..i wish mario just would have choke slammed him.

actorman 11 years, 8 months ago

"I mean, St. Mary's is ranked, really?"It may be true that they haven't played a tough schedule (although tonight will certainly be a test), but they had a three-game stretch a couple of weeks ago where they never trailed ... not once ... in three games. I don't care who you're playing, that's a pretty amazing statistic. They also have some real talent on the team. So while I agree that KU deserves to be ranked, I don't think it should necessarily come at St. Mary's expense.Great comments by drgnslayr about Bill Self's game coaching vs. NU. Another thing that was impressive is when he had KU play zone a couple of times. That seemed to be very effective in slowing NU down, especially the first time KU went to the zone.I agree with the criticism of Sherron sometimes being out of control, but I think he's shown significant improvement over the last few weeks. In the first part of the season, I was frustrated with Sherron because it didn't seem like he had improved at all from last year, but I would be the first to admit that that is no longer the case. Anyone who disputes that he's one of the top 10 (if not top 5) PG's in the country at this point is crazy. And let's not overlook another factor: he's made 27 free throws in a row and is shooting well over 80%. That's for someone who was barely over 70% last year--and he's doing that with all of the added pressure that's on him this year.

nebraska_jayhawk 11 years, 8 months ago

Up here in Nebraska people BARELY even know that NU even has a basketball team. They say that they dont care about the basketball team and that they dont pay attention to it. But they also barely have an article on the game and nobody talks about it. But if KU would have been beat, you know it would have been front page news and ALL NU fans would have been bragging it up.

lm1 11 years, 8 months ago

cookie looks like a little leprechaun pimp. not gonna be able to miss him coming to AFH. if the ku players dont make him remember last night, the fans will.

doug_lemoine 11 years, 8 months ago

Eggs are broken when omelets are made, and sloppy basketball results when teams are challenged to be tougher. Self is challenging every Jayhawk to be tougher, to bump into guys on the way up for a rebound, to make aggressive cuts to the basket and take the ball up strong. I am CERTAIN that, when reviewing game film, he points out moments when the other team demonstrates superior aggressiveness, and I'm sure that individuals involved see reduced playing time in addition to getting called out in team meetings. So there is a lot of motivation to seize that aggressive moment. The good side of the challenge is that your team is ready to rise to a challenge, like it did last night. Tyrel's threes after Cookie's punk-ass move were direct results of Coach Self's preparation for being aggressive in that moment; he made great cuts around picks, got good passes, drained them. The bad side of the challenge is that your team tries to do too much, like it did last night. Taylor's mental lapses are direct results of the coaches continually challenging him to be aggressive, and to take advantage of opportunities when he sees them.

doug_lemoine 11 years, 8 months ago

I also was interested to see Manning out there when Little and Cookie got into it. I took this to mean that (a) Little is a badass who was likely to go after Cookie, and (b) Manning plays the role of the players' ally on the coaching staff. He's the one who is more in touch with them, their attitudes, etc. The other coaches are more father figures; Manning is more like a peer (the sort of peer who is also an idol, of course), and he has their back in heated moments like that. Self has their backs, too, but in a more strategic way. He's going to give the refs hell to protect his players, but he's never going to dive into a scrum and risk looking like Jeff Van Gundy holding onto Alonzo Mourning's ankles. Lastly, I'll say this about Sherron: His line is not more important than the attitude and presence he brings to the team. He's got a way bigger challenge than pretty much any other guard in big-time D1 basketball, and I would challenge anyone to make a case that Jodie Meeks or Ty Lawson or Levance Fields any other D1 guard could do what Sherron has done with this team, this year. From the first moment he stepped on the court his freshman year, you knew he was going to be special, and he has consistently found ways to be the right basketball player at the right time. He makes bad decisions from time to time, but he also brings a mix of fire and poise to the team that's absolutely essential if we're going to survive the B12.

Chris Shaw 11 years, 8 months ago

kuballa: See my actorman's comments and scroll below in this postLaJayhawk: Great post and statistics about Meeks and Teague in comparison with Collins. I still think he, Collins, is still one of the best in the nation, but overall great post.8808: Disagree with you about Reed because who was the guy who called a "Heady" timeout in the backcourt to prevent a 10 second violation. Turns out that was a very crucial possession and not one of the 20 we gave up. I'll remember the two threes tha pushed over the top and into the lead and the smart timeout. You have to learn "How to play" in crucial moments and he did hit 1 of 2 free-throws. Yes, he is "Pressing" just a little, but it will get better with time. Reed is the man. I agree with the rest of you post.Bayareajayhawk: I liked your view about the "Pic" and both Sherron and Mario being from Chicago. I enjoyed the post.Actorman: I was getting ready to write a post about "St Mary's" and you had already written it for me. DO NOT SLEEP AND I REPEAT DO NOT SLEEP ON ST. MARY'S. I wouldn't want to play now nor do I want to play them in the tourney. They remind me of that "Southern Illinois" team a few years back with a little less "D", but a little more polished offensively. Great PostDoug Lemoine: Wow! Wow! I thoroughly enjoyed the post! What is going on today? I've never been in this tune with other posters. LOL!

darnelljackson32 11 years, 8 months ago

dont pay attention to the wall story!! it is taken from an article in september!!!!!!!!This is the worst, most unprofessional move I have seen a writer try to pull off. Gary Bedore has no shame.http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=3608959So essentially everything that was said by Wall has no relavancy. This was before we had even signed Elijah Johnson. These quotes are way out of context and should be ignored

darnelljackson32 11 years, 8 months ago

Also, don't forget that this was before Xavier Henry signed with Memphis. Gary Bedore tried to pull a fast one on me and it didn't work. Shame on all of you guys for falling for this "story". I have lost any respect that I might have had for Gary Bedore.

abefroman 11 years, 8 months ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf1izKbjTZ0Loved Gottlieb ever since then. The guy was on fire last night, hilarious. Can't wait for cookie's appearance in AFH...“He was saying, ‘It’s our house,’ or it's my ball"... haha he looked like a little rat terrier biting ankles.

Kevin Long 11 years, 8 months ago

Well said abefroman! I can't wait to get that little thug on our court! I really wanted Mario to punch him and I don't usually get that way. That being said, I thought that was the most important win of the year. It showed how tough this team is getting. Bill is one hell of a coach.

sdoyel 11 years, 8 months ago

Sherron looks to be in the best shape of his KU career. And I believe it if he says he was dunking at practice. He's probably back down to his HS playing weight and he is strong as a Linebacker....I wouldn't be surprised to see Sherron dunk in a game before this season's over.BEAST!

Joseph Kuebel 11 years, 8 months ago

Now I hate to stoop to low low level of the Nebraska sorry fan base (who obviously have no knowledge of the game of basketball or what a foul is (apparently their coach doesn't know what a foul is either). IN RESPONSE TO COOKIE "MIDGET" MILLERS action's last night, as well as the classless NEBRASKA FANS CHANTING "ALDRICH, ALDRICH, ALDRICH" there is nothing I WANT KANSAS FANS TO DO MORE than get a chant going whenever Cookie touches the ball than to say "MIDGET, MIDGET, MIDGET, MIDGET, MIDGET, MIDGET, MIDGET, MIDGET,MIDGET, MIDGET, MIDGET, MIDGET, MIDGET,MIDGET, MIDGET, MIDGET, MIDGET, MIDGET,MIDGET, MIDGET, MIDGET, MIDGET, MIDGET,MIDGET, MIDGET, MIDGET, MIDGET, MIDGET,MIDGET, MIDGET, MIDGET, MIDGET, MIDGET,MIDGET, MIDGET, MIDGET, MIDGET, MIDGET" ThAT LITTLE BEEZY, I have never wanted to see a fight or a more classless play not called a technical in my life. PLEASE JAYHAWK STUDENT SECTION I AM begging you to BEGIN THIS CHANT FOR that little cupcake MIDGET MILLER!Next, I got a kick out of the following quote from nebraska_jayhawk "(anonymous) says...Up here in Nebraska people BARELY even know that NU even has a basketball team." Shows the intelligence of the Nebraska fanbase. First to even mention this, after their classless fans pack the stadium is extremely childish and laughable. Nice excuse for pretending not to care. This is case in point for your sore loser fans, sore loser team, and sore loser coach. I have never seen a bigger bunch of sour pusses in my life. After this game, and despite my hatred for Mizzou this game has put Nebraska fans at the top of the list for the most classless fans in the BIG XII North.The fact that Cookie "little midget beezy" did not receive a technical foul for his ridiculous play involving little was awful. KU was hacked again and again, and had several "charging fouls" that were not charges due to the baby guards on Nebraska not being able to set their feet.

wyansas 11 years, 8 months ago

impressive win. or, really, impressive that we won.

Brian Powell 11 years, 8 months ago

hilarious! My Favorites:"If that would have been a playground instead of a fieldhouse, they would have ripped Cookie apart and shared him over a glass of milk."'Even Shorts-on-Backwards figured it out and detracted and said it was the right call.'"it's not that their size is hurting them, it's that they are grossly inept at scoring the basketball", Doug G. commenting

Brian Powell 11 years, 8 months ago

ps- I love seeing Reed after he hit that 2nd three.... He says he doesn't remember what he was yelling at Cookie, but I bet some guys on the bench heard it. Watch the news clip and you'll see it- he was 'jawin' so hard he was leaning into it.

jaybate 11 years, 8 months ago

I'm beginning to feel about the aggression of college basketball about the way I feel about the agression of war among states.I want the Presidents and anyone else in the government advocating war to go to the front and if they are too old and cowardly (as they all are for they are all draft dodging chickenhawk hypocrites in recent years) I want them to send their own children to the front immediately. From the very beginning of the Iraq War, I have wanted to see the Bush girls riding in unarmored Humvees and getting their designer cammie clad asses creased sideways by IEDs like the commoners. And if Obama keeps the wars going, man, I definitely want to see Mrs. Obama in commoner cammies dodging bullets outside the Green Zone, or maybe being parachuted into Iran with the other US Special Forces reputedly operating there undercover the last few years.Now, after some reflection about the Nebraska contest (that is to say after the blood lust of spectacle has worn off), I want Bill Self and Doc Sadler to go out and get into the enforcer rolls on the floor that they think are so vital to the interests of the team. I want them out their fighting and getting their noses busted, kicked in the head, and piled on to on the floor, the same way they are asking their players to do. Its only right. It sets a good example for the young men on both teams.I want Bill Self and Doc Sadler to man-up and get out on the floor, not to be peace keepers, or dodgers, or duckers, or chickens, but to actually take some punches in the mouth and lose some teeth. I want them out their getting kicked in the nuts and coming back to the bench looking like Cole Aldrich did. I want this baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!Division I basketball has "progressed" to a point where the fans are ready for this and it could really help TV ratings for these small market teams like KU and NU.Look at the fabulous Nick Krug picture of Danny out on the floor being this wimpy peace maker, while Bill Self hides George Bush style tucked safely away on the side line, buffered by two other not-me's, Dooley and Townsend. Look at it long and hard. Coach Self, the one who looks like little Bambi caught in the headlights, that's the guy who holds press conferences and questions his own players manhood. Now compare Coach Bill Self's exceedingly George Bush like expression. Note that Self and our recent President both apparently get these looks when caught by surprise as the soldiers they order off to do battle really get in the deep do-do.

jaybate 11 years, 8 months ago

This is NOT the Coach Self I want to see. I don't want to see him hiding behind coaches. I want to see Coach Self out there throwing a few punches. I want to see Townsend and Dooley piling onto some Nebraska player, grabbing him by the nose and kicking him in th ass like General George Patton said to do, though he himself never once is known to have ever fought hand to hand with any man. You dig?I want to see Coach Self exhorting his players to get tougher and meaner with his shoulder filleted the way Cole Aldrich's was after the NU game. But I don't mean to focus on Bill Self, for surely Doc Sadler was exhorting his players to man-up even more without getting out of his sport coat either. I want Bill Self and Doc Sadler to do their post game interviews with blood stained shirts and cotton stuck up their noses, like Cole did. This is basketball. This is the way it was meant to be. Coaches are part of it. Coaches coach the manly violence. Coaches challenge the players to play this way. Coaches need to man-up, too.I want this baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!I'm tired of Danny Manning coming out and trying to break things up and settle players down that Coach Self has been exhorting for weeks to play tougher and meaner. I want Danny Manning and his Nebraska counterpart to get out their and punch some of these NU players in the temple and drop'em right there. I want coaches with their suits torn and teeth kicked out like the players.I want coaches wearing mouth pieces on the sidelines, because they know they are going to go over and punch each other out and kick some players in the balls. Coaching with a mouth piece should be de rigeur in basketball, don't you agree?I want this baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.This is what basketball is all about.

jaybate 11 years, 8 months ago

I am tired of pussy coaches who don't want to man-up to their opposing coaches. They need to learn to be enforcers, not just coaches. Doc Sadler yelling? Don't make me laugh. I want him doubled over on the floor with blood coming out of every opening in his body at least once a game. He's got to prove his manhood in a grind it out coach fight, or he's not a man.Coach Self staying out of the melee? Come on coach, you've got to man-up!!! We want to see you and your daughters out there kicking and getting kicked. We want your daughters fighting for the crimson and blue, man. These players are like your sons, coach. Get your daughters out on the floor to bite and scratch for your sons. There is no reason to draw the line at players, Coach Self. Your daughters can woman-up just like your players can man-up. They don't need scholies either. You make 3.5 mil per. You can front them the green and you can buy them some rubber billy clubs with jayhawks on them. Girls need an edge, you know?God, this is America. This is the greatest game in American history. This is what basketball and the KU legacy are all about...Coaches manning-up and bodying other coaches and finishing on coaches the same way the players are taught to finish on players. Its faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaantastic.I want coaches that will live up to the country's up-armored ideals. I want coaches who want to fight for their players, not just jaw-jack. I want coaches who go through boot camp with the players and embrace the boot camp mentality, not just talk it. I want coaches that will actually trip opposing players as they run down the floor, maybe pack some heat and fire some live rounds over their heads.I want coaches that send their sons and daughters into the street fights and punking that is breaking out on the sacred wood. I want it baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!

jaybate 11 years, 8 months ago

Shoot, let's get the wimpy cheerleaders and yell leaders into the rough play and bodying and occassional fights on the floor. Forget having sensitive males be yell leaders and top heavy girls be cheerleaders. Let's go up to Lancing Pen and recruit some real prison bodies for yell leaders. Lets go over to the women's correctional institution and get some lethal female cheerleaders. What the heck! Let's get some real crazies from Osawatomie, some serial killers and socipaths to be student assistants. Get the whole staff involved. I want this baaaaaaaaaaaaaad!I have had it with college basketball being so wimpy.Wouldn't it be totally sick, as is the recent slang, to start having snipers in the crowds, too. We could recruit some of the snipers coming home for the Middle East who can't get jobs. We could put them up in the cheap seats in the dark and they could use night scopes. They could pop coaches who won't man-up. It would be such good television, especially if ESPNU could hook the night scopes up and show the kill shots in that night vision green they like to show Shock and Awe in.Really we can take this all the way.Its time to man-up Coach Self and Coach Sadler. Its time to take a bullet from snipers in the stands if you have to to motivate the rough play.Its time to look in the mirror and see missing teeth, broken noses, and a good old fashioned cracked eye socket on Sunday with your wives and children, who are black and blue from womaning-up for you too.If you man-up, surely the boys and girls will, too.If you coaches get out there and maybe carry pieces, then I think we can really finally start to take this great game to the next level.You know what I mean?

Scott Smetana 11 years, 8 months ago

Wow Jaybate, is that a record? I don't remember 4 full posts before. Very good content, but a bit much for me... anyone?Great post earlier about the 3 types of play of Sherron. Kind of reminds me of Bruce Banner trying to control himself. Best PG in the country? I was in Detroit for the Regionals last year and saw a pretty good guard named Curry. The question we should be asking ourselves (a bit too early).. do you think he's going pro? If you use the old "First Round and I'm gone" logic, I think he's back. Not sure about Cole. 11 games left... I see losing anywhere from 3 to 7 of them.. so unpredictable, so exciting, so exhausting, so frustrating, so fun! Rock Chalk.

kranny 11 years, 8 months ago

Jaybate, are you alright? Bad day at work?

John Randall 11 years, 8 months ago

Jaybate, I hope someone makes you read all that crap after you sober up.

yates33333 11 years, 8 months ago

Jaybate's on a rampage. I was hoping we could get basketball back to the 60s where it wasn't a hockey game or football match. I sure don't want it to become the "ultimate fight." As Jaybate knows better than I since he understands the game superbly is that if a player throws a punch he loses one game, if a coach throws a punch he might well lose his job. Of course, this probably wouldn't hurt Self, an outstanding young coach, but it sure would hurt our beloved alma mater. Coaches like Self are far and few between.

GridironHawk 11 years, 8 months ago

For all the people that are hating on Collins you have fallen into the East Coast bias that is ESPN. You only see the HIGHLIGHTS on Sports Center which have rarely covered KU this year. You can't compare highlights of another guard to a full game of Collins. Compare game to game and there isn't another guard in college basketball that I would take over Collins (Curry maybe as a shooting guard but not PG :). Collins does it with less of a supporting cast and all the pressure on his shoulders. He is the go-to guy on a team that desperately needs him. After the Syracuse game I was very down on Collins but he has since played like the team leader KU needs. He has learned to lead this team rather than just carry them and that will continue to grow. Again argue what you will but without Collins we are nothing more than a .500 team...

jaybate 11 years, 8 months ago

PikesPeakSmitty,If Curry is a PG, theh Collins is number two.If Curry is a 2, then Collins is number one at PG.Curry's problem in the pros will be: Can he shoot the trey from the third row with the bottom's of his tennies facing the overhead scoreboard.Sherron can take the heat of the pros. His prototypes are Baron Davis and Derek Fisher. As the Pointer Sisters sang, "Yes he can-can." He'll be playing 15 minutes a game in the NBA next year. But whether he has a good career, or one at the fringes depends entirely on whether he can ever get better on defense. Davis and Fisher got to where they could defend pretty well.Curry will be interesting. He is such a great player and athlete he will probably do well in the L. The guy he could emulate in the pros is John Stockton. He's smooth and quiet and smart, like Stockton, and he probablly has an even better trey. But he does not seem to be a lightening quick, great passer like the short, slight PGs in the pros (e.g., Stockton, Tiny Archibald, Steve Nash, Nick Van Exel, etc.).

BuhrKU5 11 years, 8 months ago

Collins is are guy. We need him.To the people that are bashing on him i dont understand it. In todays game it is very tough for a point guard ( which he is) and the leading scorer (which he is) you have to look at it from a team aspect. Collins can create off the dribble and get other guys shots along with himself, but do we really have a guy who can do that and get Sherron open shots? Not right now. When are bigs aren't getting the job done we need to take better shots. For KU to carry on well when we get into the tough stretch of are schedule we either need some one who can create and be able to get teammates shots as well as himself. (Tyshawn has shown glimpses of this but he isnt there yet) Or we need a 2nd option guard who can score and right now its reed or morningstar. And how do they get the majority of their shots? Kicks from Collins and bigs.