Saturday, December 10, 2011

KU coach Bill Self: Kevin Young ‘bailed us out’

Junior scores season-high 14 points against Ohio State

Kansas forward Kevin Young flashes a smile after taking a charge against an Ohio State player during the first half Saturday, Dec. 10, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 78-67 victory over Ohio State on Dec. 10, 2011.

Download podcast

Videos

KU vs. Ohio State

video thumbnail

Kansas defeated Ohio State, 78-67 on Saturday, Dec. 10, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kevin Young’s breakout performance Saturday surprised Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self as much as anyone.

“I haven’t seen that, or if I have seen it, then certainly we’ve made a mistake by not playing him as much,” Self said following KU’s 78-67 victory over Ohio State. “But that was something today like his coming-out game.”

Young, a 6-foot-8, 185-pound junior, finished with a season-high 14 points, making six of eight shots, which included his first six field-goal attempts.

Young also contributed four rebounds and an assist to go with a turnover in his 24 minutes.

“Kevin really bailed us out,” Self said. “I thought he was just terrific. That’s the Kevin Young we thought we recruited. Maybe this will give him the confidence moving forward. We could use another weapon.”

The Perris, Calif., native played 16 minutes in the second half; coming in, the most minutes he’d played in an entire game at KU was 14.

Self admitted that much of the reason for Young’s early playing time was trying to get a quicker defender on Ohio State’s Deshaun Thomas.

Thomas, OSU’s 6-foot-7 forward, scored 15 points in the first half on 5-for-8 shooting, including 3-for-5 three-point shooting.

In the second half, with Young as his primary defender, Thomas had just four points on 2-for-6 shooting.

“Kevin probably had as much to do with us winning the game as anything,” Self said. “He scored points for us, but he did a great job on Thomas the second half. Great job.”

Young also showed an outside shooting touch, going 2-for-3 from three-point range.

“I think it just came together,” Young said. “My shots were falling. I got great open shots thanks to my teammates being able to move the ball and penetrate.”

Asked about his individual effort, Young said he was most proud of his ability to set screens to free up others.

“I think a lot of players really don’t see the screens as a big deal in the game,” Young said, “but not only did it help my teammates get open, it helped me get open as well.”

The bottom line for Self was that KU played better with Young in the game.

Comments

Jackalope7 2 years, 4 months ago

Been waiting for Young to have a breakout game. Always thought he was better then most people believed. Keep it rolling my man.

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

Finally took the blue pill and watched the u2b feeds of Xavier and Natti.

It just looked like any old playground fight to me. They should all be suspended from play for the rest of the semester, but beyond that was about it.

Before I comment further, I am old.

I quit going to play on the big city playgrounds in the early 1980s.

With that said, this fight just seemed like the ones I used to see, and occasionally get involved in.

The rule used to be the African Americans would yell and push and slap punch each other, which is more ritual than real punching, and only throw hay makers at the Euro-Americans. Everyone used to understand and abide by this. Euro-Americans with brains never waded into fights. Euro-Americans back peddled with fists cocked and ready and let the African Americans do their ritualized pushing, yelling and slap punching among themselves. The rule was they taunted you, but never pursued and never threw haymakers except if you where stupid enough to wade in and then they only pu nched hard once they had good blind side shots you wouldn't recover from.

I never got hit once, because I got coached not to wade in. If you don't get surrounded you don't get a haymaker, just an occasional slap punch. Retreating in playground fighting is not shameful. Cowardly fighting is all playground fighting is.

The only dolt that got hurt appeared to be a Euro-American who forgot and waded in. Predictably, two guys occupied him, while another guy came in blind side and unloaded a haymaker probably not about the game, but about racial payback.

The reverse happens in racist Euro-American neighborhood. Whatever the fight is about, the haymaker gets delivered to the African American from the blind side, when caught in greater numbers, then the kick them while they are down begins.

This sort of fighting should not be condoned.

But punishing the players is not enough.

The coaching staff needs to fofeit games and the school needs to be forced to give its money back. There would never be another fight at a college game if the schools had to forfeit games and give up money.

But no one really wants to stop this, or the refs would not be allowed to call the games as they do, and the schools would already be required to give up their gates.

Rodney Stice 2 years, 4 months ago

Lebowski, I am ashamed that you breathe the same air as the rest of humanity. Your profane and vile rant on a public website is nothing less then subhuman. I hope that you are not like this in person. I'll pray for you.

Lebowski 2 years, 4 months ago

hawksince51 2 years, 4 months ago

Young gave us the first significant contribution from the bench this season. I feel a little better about our depth now. With TT out for a few weeks we will learn more about Nadir and hopefully he will develop and add bench strength so that TT does not have to play 35+ minutes at the Point when he returns.

Robert Murphy 2 years, 4 months ago

With that smile Kevin Young can play on my team anytime.

bennybob 2 years, 4 months ago

Everybody take a breath,

now think back to the Tharpe hype after the two exhibition games.

I'm not saying Young can't become the guy we saw on Saturday, but lets not get overly excited by one game.

Rockchalk_Mom 2 years, 4 months ago

This may have been covered before, but I haven't seen anything about the missing tooth from Justin Wesley's mouth. Has anyone said when and how it happened?

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

No wonder Self and KY have been slow developing and Self has been flummoxed.

They are both so busy being stubbornly, defiantly optimistic that neither of them can quite get on the same page.

But once they do....look out!!!!!!

Kevin is definitely a coach waiting to happen.

He has that kind of will Self and LB have.

He seems to have that kind of will Danny Manning has.

In fact, Danny's probably been sitting at home at night laughing his head off at this war of wills between Self and KY.

Danny knows exactly what's going on here.

Danny went through this with Larry Brown.

That senior season of Danny's, people forget how much Brown and Manning butted heads.

This is the old bull and the young bull in the pasture with no cows.

This is head butting between two bulls with nothing to gain, just because they can.

Its just because they are bulls and don't know what else to do but butt heads!

Shoot, Self might as well make him a player coach next season.

Danny and Joe and Kurtis have to laughing themselves silly at this situation.

Seeing Self, Mr. Master Button Pusher, running into a kid who's as bull headed as Self is about being optimistic!!

I'm tearing up from laughter as I'm typing this.

Man, are there going to be some control issues between these two guys, but you can be darned sure that Self recognizes the will to be positive no matter what and that he is just trying to find the right buttons to push to get KY to give him what the team needs.

And KY, being a future coach, knows what the team needs, but is determined to give it to Self in the way he thinks would help the team most.

Two guy separate by common goal! :-)

Hey, Coach Self, if you want to figure out how to coach Kevin Young, just call Paul Hansen, or your dad! :-)

Eddie? Eddie Sutton? Get out of the damn War Eagle down on Grand Lake of the Cherokees and come help Bill with Kevin. Give him a call instead of filling your live box with another ten fish you'll have to give to friends. Bill doesn't need help very often, but this is a tough one, because its in his blind spot!

Some times those most like us are hardest for us to understand!

Rock Chalk!

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

Memo to KY:

1. Read what Self said: “He hasn’t been defending like that. He hasn’t been aggressive like that. He hasn’t been a loose-ball guy like that in practice,” Self said. “But today, he was a combination of everything, so I thought he was terrific.”

2. Watch the tape of the game.

3. Visualize doing it in practice.

4. Do it in practice.

If you do this, you will be a 20-30 minute man in games for the rest of the season by combining time at the 3 and 4.

I think Self may have run into a guy as positive as he is.

KY never got down even a little.

He just kept smiling and believing till this December day.

How very Selfian.

And KY is every bit as defiantly positive as Self.

Self sounded like a wife who's husband finally did what she wanted him to do in a way she didn't expect him to be able to do it, and so is torn between liking it and doubting it can happen again because she doesn't understand why he could do it this time, but not last.

KY refused to say he played better defense or hustled for loose balls or defended more aggressively, even though he did.

He stubbornly insisted the most important part of his game was his screening!

I love it!

How much like Bill Self!!

I'm not giving you what you want until you give me what I want!

I won't say I'm doing the things you say I'm doing.

I'll pick out something you didn't say, something I know you love, and say I'm doing that better!!!

Irresistable force meet immovable object.

William Blake 2 years, 4 months ago

This is what happens when Kevin gets PT. Many of us noticed how much he hustles from day 1. Bombing the 3 was a surprise and something we can really use as a weapon to pull defenses apart.

He only needs a bit more basketball IQ to become a real force on this team with big PT in his future. That will come quickly...

REHawk said it best... wanting to know his +/- stat... even when Kevin made some mental lapses in earlier games, he always gave us extra ball possessions created through his hustle.

Anybody else stand up off their couch and cheer Kevin when he drew 2 charges in a row? I did. When was the last time you saw a Jayhawk do that?

Kevin is a baller.

Great game, Kevin!

TexasHawk44 2 years, 4 months ago

If Young plays with that energy and intelligence going forward we may have a chance to be a lot better than many analysts gave us credit for. Whitney played fantastic against LBS (who gave North Carolina a hell of a game too) and now Young in this one. It was good to see some pieces pulling together in the past two games. Great to see EJ have a terrific game as well. All a sign of great coaching by Coach Self and his staff. As much as Tyshawn has driven me insane with his complete disregard for caring for the ball and not having any sense of the moment of the game, we will miss him. Hopefully he is back soon. There is a reason Tharpe has not seen the floor lately. Something has been Self's craw with him and I am sure for good reason. Still the kid has shown talent, hopefully he will play well and grow as some PT opens up during Tyshawn's absence. Great win for KU! Rock Chalk!

kerbyd 2 years, 4 months ago

Looks like TT will be out for 3 weeks... needing surgery.

ku_foaf 2 years, 4 months ago

Young was great. Withey was great. Way to go TyShawn, more than makes up for the Hawaii fluke. There is balance in the universe.

Steve Yeakel 2 years, 4 months ago

Way to go Kevin, great job, so glad to see you play so well.

REHawk 2 years, 4 months ago

We have not seen Jesse's +/- on the minutes which Kevin has been in contests, but I have maintained that he always has produced more positive stats per minutes played on the offensive end than anyone other than T-Rob and TT. Now that Bill Self can trust his defense, Kevin should really help this team as we move toward league competition.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 4 months ago

Learning from the masters. He's a mature player/coach that's only been under the wing for a few months. His game should explode this year. He should be giving Robinson-esque minutes off the bench by February.

tical523 2 years, 4 months ago

Kevin Young , gotta love him. I beleive his days as an assistant coach give him great perspective and he is such a team player. I really, really, reallly hope this game springboards his role as a Jayhawk. Keep it up Kevin, I love what you bring to the team.

Alohahawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I may be wrong, but didn't Young force two or was it three charging fouls against Ohio State?

Good job, Kevin. Your performance should help the coaching staff rest a bit easier. Continue improving, adding to what you did right today, and KU's bench will look much stronger during future games. Plus, our starters will gain some game time breathers.

BTW, just sent an E:Mail to the North Pole advising Santa to add another name to his "good" list. Rumor is, he checks it twice, so keep being good.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Young look solid. But this is another example of what I love about Self. Even while he is commending a guy, he's giving him the backhand at the same time...

I love Self. Saying, essentially, Kevin, you did well, but this is why I've been up your a## at practice. This is what I know you can do. Do this more.

Always coaching.

martyks 2 years, 4 months ago

Dumb comment. It's an understatement to say fighting like that has no place in college basketball. I hope both teams finish out the year with walk ons.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 4 months ago

If a fight like the uc/Xavier game would of broken out in front of our bench, and I was playing, I would of turned and grabbed charlie's cane and started doing some work!

Randy Maxwell 2 years, 4 months ago

He's always been that guy offensively it's just his defense