Sunday, December 11, 2011

Charlie Weis wins over fieldhouse crowd

Newly appointed Kansas University head football coach Charlie Weis is introduced at halftime of KU's men's basketball game against Ohio State on Saturday, Dec. 10, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

photo

photo

Kansas football recruit Dayne Crist watches from the stands during the second half on Saturday, Dec. 10, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

It didn’t take long for new Kansas University football coach Charlie Weis to win over the KU basketball crowd. If he can get the same response from roughly three times as many people next fall at Memorial Stadium, he might be on his way.

Saturday afternoon, in front of 16,300 amped-up fans at Allen Fieldhouse, KU officials introduced Weis during halftime of the Jayhawks’ 78-67 victory against No. 2 Ohio State. Although he delivered a message similar to the one he pushed at his introductory news conference Friday, Weis ad-libbed a little and got to the heart of why he’s in town more quickly.

“I came here with only one thing in mind,” he said. “I want to leave here knowing we have a perennial winning program that is going to compete on the level that you expect on an annual basis.”

When Weis got to the part where he wondered aloud why KU was 2-10 last season, the fieldhouse crowd began to boo. They seemed to be booing the result and not the new coach.

Either way, Weis had a little fun with it.

“I haven’t got to the question,” he joked. “Don’t boo me yet.”

As he continued to draw the comparison between KU’s 2-10 season and Kansas State’s 10-2 record, the same fans who greeted him with chants of “Char-lie, Char-lie” grew restless.

“I know there’s a lot of arm-chair (quarterbacks) that want to give me the answer to that,” he said as he laughed.

He then explained how that was his responsibility.

“I’m here, not only to figure out why, but to do something about it,” he said. “We need to stop neglecting the fact that there’s another school in the state that’s our competitor. And we need to go figure out a way to beat their butts. That’s a good place to start. Win the state first, then we’ll worry about the rest of the country second.”

After Saturday’s victory, KU men’s basketball coach Bill Self was asked about his initial interaction with Weis.

“I left him a message last night,” Self said. “And then when I got here today, he was behind the bench, and I said, ‘Hi,’ and told him congratulations. I didn’t get any plays from him, but if he’s as good a mind as everybody tells me, I’ll be more than happy to sit down with him.”

It wasn’t just the raucous cheers from the fans in the stands that served as a measuring stick for how Weis had been received. As he walked around the arena prior to tipoff, dozens of fans approached KU athletic director Sheahon Zenger and expressed how happy they were with the hire.

While Weis remained tied to the meet-and-greet circuit that typically follows a new hire, his impact at KU already was being noticed.

Quarterback Dayne Crist, whom Weis recruited to Notre Dame, was in Lawrence for a visit Saturday. Crist, a former top-5 prospect who spent the past four seasons with the Fighting Irish, sat with the rest of the football recruits in the student section behind the south goal. Because the 6-foot-4, 235-pound pro-style QB with one year of eligibility remaining is scheduled to graduate from Notre Dame this month, NCAA rules permit him to transfer and play for one more year at a new school without having to sit out first. Reports have indicated that Crist has narrowed his final choices to Kansas and Wisconsin.

Comments

Stan Unruh 10 years, 9 months ago

Agreed...... We need some big beef on the D line as much as Crist.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

I'm excited about Ty McKinny! John WIlliams and McKinny in the middle seem to be a good start.

TwistedFish31 10 years, 9 months ago

Weis and Crist at KU...3 days ago I'd have said you were nuts!

CaramelMacchMan 10 years, 9 months ago

If ESPN spent 10 mins to talk about KU football during basketball season, you know its already a good hire. Rock Chalk

gardenjay 10 years, 9 months ago

Well I hope Crist comes to Kansas. I've given it some thought to avoid my regular work, and here is what I came up with:

Look who just won the Heisman, and we know he will have a great pro career. KU almost beat Baylor this year, and Griffin specifically mentioned Kansas at his award ceremony, as proof of the perseverence of his team. I bet he wouldn't have mentioned Wisconsin had they played them this season. Why? Because Kansas provided the season's most meaningful win for Baylor by showing heart near the end of a season of adversity. 31 to 30 in overtime.

Want to go pro? I think Charlie Weiss had a line on that one already. I think they both found the false premise that playing for a so-called 'storied' program means success at some higher level. The pressures are frequently counter-productive. Football or other success at KU comes down to hard work, and scouts know that - probably easier to evaluate a player in a program where not all the players are 5-stars. Put it out there where people can see it, or forget about going pro.

KU has had some stud quarterbacks. Frank Seuer was one of my faves, and of course Todd Reesing. I think both of them would be considered pocket passers.

It's because of all these reasons that I feel Crist would be a great fit for KU. If stadium numbers is part of the equation (although it shouldn't be given how well that works for Michigan), just remember: if the KU football team does really, really well then fans fill the hill. So we can seat 100,000 or more right now. KU F-ball fans are a sleeping giant - they can be very loud.

Despite all the challenges this would entail, I will make a New Year's promise to be one of those fans for one game next season if you ignite this further. Rock Chalk, and thank you Zenger.

Jeff Coffman 10 years, 9 months ago

Actually MM with Reesing did a good job of moving the pocket. I would agree TR was a Pocket Passer, but because of an inconsistent line and the size of Reesing...MM moved the pocket to take full advantage of TR's arm. Something that TG never did with our line (or Webb).

squawkhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

I'm repeating myself but it is worth asking the question again...what is Crist going to do in one year at KU with the current level of talent that we have right now? The answer is obvious, not much. So why waste the time and a scholly on the guy? KU needs to get some good HS QBs that will come and be in the program for 4 to 5 years. A one and done player won't do anything but take playing time away from a younger player that will be the future of the program.

gardenjay 10 years, 9 months ago

I have wanted KU to win in football so badly this year, I'm so glad this is happening.

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 9 months ago

Kind of rambly (not sure if that is a word) but I'll guess speaking in front of 16300 isn't the easiest thing to do.

Kevin Kelly 10 years, 9 months ago

Something reporters might be able to ask....since they talk to him and stuff. What's with the cane? Temporary? Permenant?

Michael Mulvihill 10 years, 9 months ago

Its been that way since he was the OC with the chiefs. He would cruise around on a Rascal scooter.

GridironHawk 10 years, 9 months ago

It's all from when he got taken out on the ND sideline. He's already had two knee surgeries and he hopes the hip replacement is the last of it.

troutsee 10 years, 9 months ago

For the first time in two years, we have hope. He will bring in assisstent coaches that completely buy into his philosophy of coaching, expecially a very good DC. I think he stands a better chance of instantly gaining the respect of his assistants and players because of his resume and self-confidence and aura. Let's hope that his family continues to buy into the move, as it will be difficult to juggle these two balls (a distant commmuter family life and big time head football coach) at the same time. At the same time, remain humble, coach.

topekahawk 10 years, 9 months ago

NEJhawk -- he has an injured hip from when he was run over on the sidelines by a player when he was the ND coach. He is slated to have surgery during the "dead period" of recruiting this month and then likely will not have the cane.

dylans 10 years, 9 months ago

Eventually will not have the cane. Here's hoping his recovery goes well.

troutsee 10 years, 9 months ago

I have been reading previous posts from the last two days and am angered by some of them. I am going to say this again. I want our goal in football to be the best, to be a perinneal power. To accept that "KU is afterall just a BB school" or that "in reality the most that KU can hope for is a 6 win season," or as one fan expressed that he would be thrilled if we went to the Insight Bowl every other year.

Hey, not me brother. I am sick of mediocre KU FB with an occasional lower tier bowl thrown in every now and then. Our goal should be the best. Hells-bells, if KSU and Boise and Va Tech, and FSU can do it, so can we.

Enough of the mediocre talk. We have to change the culture of KU football. And it starts with the leadership of the University and the fans. I, for one, expect and demand the best. We must demand championships. The Big 12 championship should be our goal.

Eric Dawson 10 years, 9 months ago

Amen, brother Jayhawk!

It's clear from this hire that excellence is what Zenger and Gray-Little have in their sights.

Time for the fan base to adjust theirs as well.

Can it be done overnight? Highly unlikely. But it can be done!

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right." -- Henry Ford

Start thinking "KU can!", folks -- and support it like you mean it!

Rock Chalk!

Bellator 10 years, 9 months ago

OK LTCUSARet, I will think "KU can" as long as I don't have to think "Believe" anymore :)

Coach-Matt Koelling 10 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, the "Believe" motto doesn't work when you get a$$ kicked every game. Under Coach Mangino there was a different motto every year. One year was "Expect to Win", and that's the type of culture we need!

lurkerhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

I'm tired of a coach talking about winning Big 12 championships and creating a winning “dynasty” and not backing it up. Start with the small things first and work your way up.

vd 10 years, 9 months ago

This coming from the guy who says "for the first time in 2 years we have hope"? Where were you 2 years ago. Don't tell us pesimistics how to react to this hire, after you deliver that line.

Jeff Coffman 10 years, 9 months ago

Anytime you set goals, you set them in steps. KU if they hired Nick Saban wouldn't be #1 tomorrow, but Nick Saban would evaluate the team and set some priorities to get them to that point. Weis' discussion about why one team is 10-2 and one is 2-10 shows his mind is working in the same direction. How do we take the steps to get to a bowl game, to beat our rivals, and than after that you set your sights higher.

KU would be satisified with a program that was as successful as MM's, but clearly we can do better and do it on a more consistent basis. Let's back up a little, KSU hasn't even won a BCS bowl and over the history of our rivalry hasn't done very good, they've done alright the past 10-15 years, but they haven't shown they can do it with a different coach. Boise State well they have such a weak conference. They schedule one game at the beginning of the year, usually on the road or in a neutral location. They spend 6 months with that one game in focus. Than they coast through the remaining schedule...I'd rather play OU, OSU, TCU, every other week that play that kind ob schedule. VT and FSU are both one coach wonders, we'll see how they do when they have to replace their coaches. FSU so far hasn't faired so well.

GridironHawk 10 years, 9 months ago

"Win the state first, then we’ll worry about the rest of the country second.”

squawkhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Take the blinders off. Your comments about KSU make you sound like a giddy schoolgirl who just got asked out on her first date. With the exception of 3 years KSU has dominated KU in football over the past 20 years. Snyder has owned every KU coach and the only consistent wins KU had over KSU was during their failed Ron Prince experiment. My question to you is this. What has Weis done as a head coach or assistant at the college level that makes you think he is going to do anything noteworthy at KU?

Jeff Coffman 10 years, 9 months ago

1) If KSU won the next 35 games in a row against KU, we would still have a better record. 2) I clearly stated that Snyder has done well against KU, no one else. 3) Weis, I'm surprised you want to go that way, but here are the highlights a) As an OC he won 3 SBs with the patriots, without Weis they have not won a SB. b) As a HC with ND they went to two BCS bowls, which is more BCS bowls than KU has gone to (and KSU). c) Has successfully recruited 5-Star and 4-Star Recruits. d) Has taken a no name KC Football team to the playoffs, without him...oh you have this year. e) Florida against the top defenses in college football began implementing his offense. It struggled, but so did the defense. Florida would have been a lot better without all of the changeover in coaches.

I'm not saying KU is a football powerhouse, but I wouldn't put KSU in the football powerhouse either...far from it.

Sayers44 10 years, 9 months ago

Quarterback Dayne Crist

On August 23, 2011, Brian Kelly named him the starting quarterback for the 2011 season, after saying the quarterback contest between Crist and Rees was "very close". At halftime of the 2011 season opener against the University of South Florida, Brian Kelly benched the ineffective Crist in favor of Tommy Rees; the Fighting Irish went on to lose the game, and afterwards Kelly named Rees the new starting quarterback and named Crist the backup.

At the end of the 2011 season where Crist was benched once again, he announced that he was leaving Notre Dame.

Eric Dawson 10 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, we know, and your point is? He's still got to be at least as good as what we have on the bench or presently in the recruiting pipeline, and almost certainly better. I hope he decides to hook up with Charlie again, although I could certainly understand it if he chose B1G champion Wisconsin, who is looking for a replacement for former NC State QB Russell Wilson (who last year did the same thing Crist is doing this year) for next year.

pjseele 10 years, 9 months ago

Weiss is best at getting the QB to play there best!

Jeff Coffman 10 years, 9 months ago

Adding a one year QB isn't the way to rebuild a program...funny I would take a one year QB that knows the coach's system while you work on your depth at QB in a heartbeat.

squawkhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Crist would not be able to do anything with the current talent at KU so why bother with him?

Eric Dawson 10 years, 9 months ago

Crist isn't playing D. KU has very good backs and a decent O line returning. Receivers are okay, but were not great, but some of that has to go on Gill and Webb.

Zenger said he was looking for a power surge, not a jump start. Having a decent QB in the mix, even if only for the first year while more QB recruiting can be done, sure would not hurt if it translated to 2-4 wins KU would not get with the existing QBs.

Bottom line: The sooner KU starts winning the better, that's why Weis bothers with him.

JayHok 10 years, 9 months ago

He played two years in Weis system already!

You're talking about Kelly's system.

We're talking about Weis, not Kelly.

JhawkalumJB 10 years, 9 months ago

I was at the game and honestly I wasn't that impressed with Weis's speech. It was a regurgitation of his press conference.

I was hoping for something along the lines of: 'I wanna see all of you AND your friends with this same enthusiasm at Memorial Stadium next fall. The turnaround in football is gonna take support from everyone here AND more. I want you to support the effort my players are gonna give you. Lets do this together! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!!!'

Jeff Coffman 10 years, 9 months ago

You probably enjoyed the press conferences from TG though.

GridironHawk 10 years, 9 months ago

I can't help but think that his part saying "We need all of you for this second half..." wasn't a slight poke towards football fans. If that was a football game, the crowd would have left at halftime and KU would have lost.

Micky Baker 10 years, 9 months ago

I'm pleased with this hire. I know we have some good players already on this team, and if we get Christ and a couple of offensive linemen to go with him in commitments, it could bode well for the offense immediately.

However, I think there might be a big name defensive coordinator coming to town, but I'm going to hold off predicting any names as I expect it to be announced by Wednesday at the latest that a guy that is an NFL Defensive Coordinator for a play off bound team will be hired.

I also expect that instead of 30,000 fans at games like we had the last few home games this year, we'll have 50,000 watching this team not just be close but winning a few of them.

I'm also pleased with the Big 12 getting TCU and West Virginia in the league.

Just saying, I live near TCU, and I would be able to get basketball tickets to watch KU play there.

Jayhawk444 10 years, 9 months ago

I was at the game and heard the halftime speech. The crowd did not boo because he said KU's record was 2-10. They booed because he followed that with something about the other school in the state being 10-2. They were booing the mention of KState.

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 9 months ago

Landing Crist would be huge. I mean, the guy already knows Weis's offense and philosophy....why would he go to Wisconsin where it's a brand new system? i know, UW is in the Rose Bowl...and we were 2-10. Plus, the Badgers just did this with their current QB (doesn't Bielema have any QBs in the pipeline?).

anyhoo, CW is creating quite the buzz.....it was great seeing him address the crowd in the OSU game...and very important to get this done for that specific moment. the students are all still at school, getting ready for finals. KU doesn't play another game for nine days...and that's in KC.

Let's get that staff built and get some hard core football players in here....Go Jayhawks!

phi4life940 10 years, 9 months ago

I'm just saying...this past weekend was great to be a Jayhawk! KU Bball win over #2 and tons of buzz and excitement over our football program for the first time in a long time.

Rock Chalk!

Kansas1241 10 years, 9 months ago

It was funny sitting behind football players like Stephen Johnson and A.J. Steward at the game and watching them shake their head in disgust the entire time and then walk out of the Fieldhouse following his speech. Sorry you guys had it way too EASY with push-over Turner Gill as coach. This isn't 5th grade where "believing" and "playing hard" is all that matters. It's about winning and that's what we want and that's what we're going to get! Rock Chalk!!

rockchalk_dpu 10 years, 9 months ago

I'd like to venture a guess that they might be a little butthurt from seeing this love-fest with a guy who is replacing their coach, not that they disprove of the hiring. I'm very excited to bring in Weis, but we need to keep in mind that next season, he will be playing with a ton of TG players, and credit goes to him for the ability to recruit (though not utilize those players)

Jim Jackson 10 years, 9 months ago

Is that tall WR from Arkansas on campus yet? The guy who originally committed to Arkansas. Will be a nice target for Crist to hit. Any word on whether or not he is going to keep David Beaty? That man can recruit hopefully Chuck Weis keeps him on staff...

JhawkalumJB 10 years, 9 months ago

6'7" Neal Barlow. Hopefully he's still in town.

Coach-Matt Koelling 10 years, 9 months ago

He practiced with the team this past year. He should be good to go next season! Hopefully he sticks around. Maybe he can have an impact like Jeff Samardzija (6'5"), the former ND receiver.

Benjamin Piehler 10 years, 9 months ago

I thought Weis made some important points, mainly that there is no magic wand, and there is only so much improvement we can expect for next year.

Also, I had to think a bit when he said, “I want to leave here knowing we have a perennial winning program that is going to compete on the level that you expect on an annual basis.”

My Mizzou/K-State buddies are quick to say that Weis will leave after experiencing moderate success. And maybe they're right. What they dont realize, is I dont care even if he leaves for somewhere else later... that implies he had success here. Standards are low.

Jeff Coffman 10 years, 9 months ago

The question gets asked why would we want a one year QB? 1) The QB was under Weis before and would have some understanding of Weis' system. I think if I have the math right, he would have two years under Weis' system. 2) Provide leadership to the team, show them how ND practices and brings that same leadership to KU. 3) If he succeeds and NFL prospects notice him again...um...that helps recruiting big time. Think of the future QBs that would want to come play for Weis, knowing the NFL scouts will be watching his schemes. 4) You get receivers that want to be thrown to by a 5-Star recruit. 5) Would you want Crist or Webb helping the Freshman and Sophmores learn the system?

Nothing wrong with getting a solid recruit even if it is for only one year.

vd 10 years, 9 months ago

Yep, that Steve johnson had it way too easy.

OceanStateJayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

I cannot believe all this excitement around Weis.... Am I missing something here? What has he done since he left New England? Everywhere he has gone has been a failure. Pay attention to how he will most assuredly rub the administration and important donors the wrong way, assuming he follows suit from his stint at ND. He is an offensive coordinator and nothing more. This will be a remarkable failure for KU.

I hope he proves me wrong because I would love to eat crow...

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 9 months ago

Getting KC in the playoffs and Cassel in the probowl come to mind.

Ben Kliewer 10 years, 9 months ago

He still went to bowl games at ND...if that's all he does at KU, that's still an improvement.

JayHok 10 years, 9 months ago

40% of his college teams he was head coach of a BCS bowl game.

20% of the college teams Charlie Weis was head coach of won a BCS bowl.

100% of the high school teams Charlie Weis was head coach of won the state championship.

Do we need to talk about the NFL?

Do we need to talk about the quantity of Super Bowl rings?

The man can coach.

okiedave 10 years, 9 months ago

The deal is done. Lets hope for the best. Gill was Perkins' and Gray-Little's responsibility. Weis' hire is on Zenger and Gray-Little. At least Weis has big time experience. Zenger may be running all of Weis' errands and out recruiting like a pit bull just to insure some success if Weis' is unable to shed his cane. If Weis bombs, Zenger's future may be a "Little-Gray".

DevilHawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Consider his six losses in his final season.

• @Michigan: With 00:11 to go, Michigan scores a TD to take the lead 38-34. The game would have gone into OT had Michigan scored a FG instead.

• USC: ND had three opportunities from inside the USC 10 to score a TD and tie the game or take the lead with under 00:42 to go.

• Navy: With 00:40 remaining, ND scored a TD and elected not to go for 2, making the score 23-21. ND failed to recover the attempted on-side kick.

• @Pitt: A punt return for TD by ND with 07:16 remaining was the last points to be scored in the game. ND failed the 2-pt. conversion, which would have made it a 3-pt. game.

• UConn: Lost in double OT. ND scored a FG, then UConn scored a TD rather than heading into triple OT.

• @Stanford: Stanford scored a TD to take the lead with 00:59 to go. Clausen got it to the Stanford 24, but wasn't able to score the TD.

All of these games were lost by a TD or less. Also, ND had an opportunity to win 5 of 6 of those games with less than a minute to play in the game.

By comparison...

2010 & 2011: We set school records related to losing.

2009: We lost to OU by 22. We lost @ Texas Tech by 21. We lost to NU by 14. We lost @ UT by 31.

2008: We lost @ OU by 14. We lost to Texas Tech by 42. We lost @ NU by 10. We lost to UT by 28.

It's not off-the-wall amazing, but if he can bring the program to a place where all of our losses are consistently by a TD or less, then he will have done an excellent job for KU.

danmoore 10 years, 9 months ago

Agreed. All we can ask of any coach is to be competitive. That was Gill's downfall. Not so much the losses but so many games in which they had no chance of winning.

10 years, 9 months ago

Salt and pepper at the ready for seasoning that crow, have faith. RCJH

Maracas 10 years, 9 months ago

So what's with all the buzz tonight about major football player transfers and dismissals from the team?

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 10 years, 9 months ago

Dayne....if you're reading this, come to KU!

You will be a GOD here.

In Wisconsin, you'll be loved.....but will also just be another member of a team with other greats.

You could own KU. Ask Todd Reesing.

Calijhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Just a thought, of no real importance, but...

Is anyone taking bets as to how long it will take Bill Snyder to re-retire (again) once he realizes he will no longer be able to win the State of Kansas (again)????

JayHok 10 years, 9 months ago

JiminiChristmas I never thought of that. Does he leave now when he's on top--- by the way great season Snyder, but also 8 wins by 4 points or less, including a miracle finish against Eastern Kentucky. Not to take anything away from him, because Snyder is a really great coach obviously as we saw against OSU and us. Without Klein, not sure how they do. Would their record be closer to ours, even if respectable?

Anyhow, thanks are in order to Snyder to raising the bar. I wonder if Snyder would see leaving now as a success, or does he want to go through the downfall he did a few years ago, whether it be slow four year downfall or a quick unexpected one over the span of one season.

For a 72 year old man, there is something nice about leaving being the king. He's going against Weis now, not exactly like coaching and recruiting sgainst HCTG. If Snyder was 40, he'd love the competition for the state of Kansas.

You make an interesting point. Will Snyder look into the Crystal ball after the Cotton bowl? If not this year, then at what point will he decide his almost mid 70's body is having a hard time keeping up with Weis?

Calijhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Just a thought, of no real importance, but...

guroose 10 years, 9 months ago

From the article - "Crist, a former top-5 prospect who spent the past four seasons with the Fighting Irish, sat with the rest of the football recruits in the student section behind the south goal." Okay, so based on the photo, which ones are the rescruits? The old man with the 'stache? The girl in front?

Joseph Kuebel 10 years, 9 months ago

So who all was dismissed from the team today? Sure does suck that Keeston Terry is transferring, never is nice to lose a 4-star recruit. Does anyone else have info on who else is gone besides D. Miller?

DevilHawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Your post is the first that I've read on the topic. Until it's announced, I would leave it at rumor-status.

If they do transfer, then it would probably be the result of either the personality change in the head coach or the offense/defense.

Terry was originally offered by Mizzou. With Mizzou headed to the SEC, it could create a "pull" for him...but for any transfers that do occur, I'd rather wait to see what actually happens and what reasons they give.

Joseph Kuebel 10 years, 9 months ago

Apparently rumors have it that Terry is going to UNI... Also rumors are that there are several players that are either being dismissed or transferring due to MANY (CAPS) failed drug tests and poor grades. So, as much as I wish it was a personality difference it doesn't sound like it at all.