Saturday, December 10, 2011

Gary Bedore’s KU basketball notebook: T-Rob picks up ‘T’

Kansas forward Thomas Robinson fights for an offensive rebound against the Ohio State defense during the second half on Saturday, Dec. 10, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 78-67 victory over Ohio State on Dec. 10, 2011.

Download podcast

Videos

KU vs. Ohio State

video thumbnail

Kansas defeated Ohio State, 78-67 on Saturday, Dec. 10, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University junior forward Thomas Robinson was whistled for a technical foul for yelling at a Buckeye player following a Tyshawn Taylor bucket with 8:44 left, KU up, 59-48.

“I had some up-and-down moments in the game as far as dealing with frustration,” Robinson said. “I give Elijah (Johnson) a lot of props because he is always good at coming to me and telling me, ‘You’re fine, you’re good, we’re coming to you. Now go finish this game for us.’ It was the same thing today. My teammates just kept talking to me and telling me to finish the game, and that’s what happened.”

He had 10 straight points for KU in one stretch, upping a 66-61 lead to 76-67.

Elijah Johnson on the confidence this gives the team: “It’s the game we needed. We knew we wouldn’t fail three times in a row. We knew we wouldn’t. We had to go to New York (to play Kentucky), and we had to meet Duke in Maui, but no one comes in the fieldhouse and just beats us. It was kind of set up, if you ask me. We just had to go through with the plan, and that’s what we did.”

More on Taylor: Kansas coach Bill Self said Tyshawn Taylor didn’t risk anything by putting off his meniscus surgery a few days.

“They could have done surgery Wednesday. The doctors felt like putting it off four days would be strictly on pain tolerance with him. He said there’s no way he’s sitting out,” Self said of Taylor, who was hurt at practice Monday and played against Long Beach State on Tuesday.

Happy holiday: OSU coach Thad Matta said he told Self, “Merry Christmas,” before the game when he announced Jared Sullinger would be sitting out.

“I don’t remember his exact two words were, ‘Merry Christmas,'" Self said. “I think there were a couple other words thrown in there describing the holiday. He’s a great guy, and obviously, we caught a break today.”

Recruiting: Geron Johnson, a 6-foot-3 sophomore guard from Garden City CC, attended the game on an official recruiting visit. He averaged 16.8 points a game his senior year at Dunbar High in Dayton, Ohio. He attended Chipola (Fla.) CC, but was removed from the team after one year, reportedly because of legal troubles.

Stats, facts: KU is 6-3 all-time against Ohio State with four straight wins over the Buckeyes. ... KU has won 47 straight home games against nonconference opponents. ... KU shot 58.3 percent for the game, which was its second-highest total of the season. The Jayhawks shot 65.2 percent in the first half, which was their second-highest shooting percentage in a half this year. ... Ohio State’s 38.7 percent shooting from the field was its lowest percentage of the season. ... Thomas Robinson was 7-for-9 shooting. ... Over the last three games, Robinson is 23-for-32 from the field (.719). ... Kevin Young scored a season-high 14 points, his KU career high, Saturday. Young’s overall career high (29) came at Loyola Marymount in 2010. ... Taylor’s career-high 13 assists were most by a Jayhawk since Aaron Miles had 13 against Emporia State in 2002.

Comments

ahpersecoachingexperience 7 years, 11 months ago

In regards to Geron I'd qoute Dr Evil "how 'bout nooooooooooo"

Eric Dawson 7 years, 11 months ago

I was interested until I read "reportedly because of legal troubles".

No, indeed!

Bangkok_Jayhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

Chalmers, Rush, Collins, Robinson, Morningstar, and the Morris boys all had "legal troubles" at some time or another. I think they all made/are making pretty good additions to the team. I would love a team full of guys like Wayne Simien and Tyrel Reed but I also like watching guys mature and grow. By now we can trust Self's judgement on players when it comes to baggage.

Dillweed 7 years, 11 months ago

Here's an idea: Support HCBS and give him the, benefit of a doubt. He must cringe when he identifies a kid, invites him to a game and tries to sell KU, then sees "fans" trashing the kid in their posts. I would imagine a recruit would read what folks are saying about his visit Why not post positive thoughts about recruits to help our coach and leave the decision up to him!

ahpersecoachingexperience 7 years, 11 months ago

Legal troubles that get you kicked out of juco...!

Ben Simonett 7 years, 11 months ago

Forget legal troubles.

How about the simple fact that hes ANOTHER academically shady recruit.

Whats so hard about recruiting kids that attend, and graduate from, a single high school?

Brennan Keller 7 years, 11 months ago

Geron plays for a very talented GCCC team. I live in Garden City and he really is fun to watch.

Eric Dawson 7 years, 11 months ago

Is he staying out of trouble? How are his grades? Any issues at all? Thanks!

Brennan Keller 7 years, 11 months ago

I havent heard anything negative about him or his academics. Head coach Baumann does a great job of keeping his players in line and following the players academics. I'll keep ya up to date when I can. He would make a great addition to KU. RCJHKU

ahpersecoachingexperience 7 years, 11 months ago

I hope your either kidnapped or in the witness protection program.

dylans 7 years, 11 months ago

Is he good? I live 30 miles south of Garden City, read the Garden City Telegram from time to time, and have never heard of the kid (the good or the bad). So what's the scoop?

Jory Collins 7 years, 11 months ago

Rumor is he's a pro. I know some coachs who scrimmaged them earlier in the year. They thought he had pro potential, described his game as a poor mans Derrick Rose.

ahpersecoachingexperience 7 years, 11 months ago

People in western Kansas still get telegrams? Yikes!

dylans 7 years, 11 months ago

People in KC still read Stars? Weirdo.

Alohahawk 7 years, 11 months ago

With a few exceptions, KU hasn't had the best of luck from its juco recruits. While there's an obvious need for a good point guard backup, next year, I would hope that Adams will qualify and fill that need. Plus, which of our current scholarship group would lose their free ride to make room for Geron Johnson?

Or does HCBS want a "Johnson & Johnson" backcourt duo to confuse the opposition, or announcers. (You can just hear the commentators now, "Johnson passes to Johnson, who sets a screen for his backcourt mate. Johnson drives the lane, then kicks it back to Johnson for an open trey in the corner. Johnson misses, but Johnson rebounds the long carom, ad nauseam") I know, I know. It didn't happen that way with the Morii twins. Just jokin'.

DDDHawk 7 years, 11 months ago

That would be kind of funny, kind of like Johnson and Johnson, the bandaid company! We could call them the "bandaids!"

dylans 7 years, 11 months ago

Well kinda' the announcers couldn't keep 'em straight. A few settled on calling them Morris while most tried to keep the first names straight. A lot more confusing with twins though.

KULee 7 years, 11 months ago

I thought TRob was off his game, he seemed distracted, and lacked hustle getting back on D. I am hoping he wasn't feeling well, he has always been one of my favorite players because of his hustle and heart, I want to see those qualities again. Rebounding is almost always about "want to" I didn't see that today.

yates33333 7 years, 11 months ago

I don't know how much pain TT had and has, but when I played I two meniscus tears at different times, a left lateral and a major medial tear. They hurt!! Especially when you cut or try to slide on defense. If he is back in two or three weeks he is really a stud. I hope his not being in the lineup doesn't hurt the team too much. Despite his haters, he is a valuable piece of the puzzle that completes this team, which is way better than I had hoped. Good Luck Taylor.

nuleafjhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

This guy (Self) will be president of the United States some day.

Jeff Coffman 7 years, 11 months ago

TRob's Technical was at one of the worse moments ever. KU had just taken its largest lead of the game...the fans were going crazy and out of nowhere there was a "T"...that killed the momentum and actually cut the lead down to single digits again. The crowd took a while to get back into it.

Clarence Haynes 7 years, 11 months ago

Nonetheless, KU won the game and a lot of it had to do with strong play by TRob in the second half! How many times have you been distracted and then regain your focus. In other words, the young man is human and by the way, a damn good basketball player! We are so fortunate to have him!

Jeff Coffman 7 years, 11 months ago

Sorry I mis-wrote this and it sounds more negative than I actually meant it to be. TRob is outstanding and clearly we don't win without him. I guess I was pointing to TRob, but in reality i wanted to focus on the "T" out of nowhere, there was jawing going around, but unless if TRob had been warned that shouldn't have been a "T". I really was trying point out how clearly a T can hurt the team.

Dyrk Dugan 7 years, 11 months ago

that technical was a key play...blew all kinds of momentum and gave it back to them. TRob must be smarter than that.

that being said, since OSU did cut it to four, our response was huge. we could have wilted and didn't. and that credit goes to TRob and TT playing on one leg. a big confidence moment for us, in that we can actually bounce back against very good teams....and the Buckeyes are still a very good team without JS.

People forget...and nobody emphasizes here in the KC area media...and it sure as heck wasn't emphasized during the ESPN broadcast....Sullinger didn't play last week.....and hasn't practiced all week. He should have been declared out on Friday or Thursday.....this over dramatic, "game day" decision was goofy. Matta was just maximizing his AP ranking...sure to drop, but maybe not as much with this type of publicity.

SEKrep 7 years, 11 months ago

I felt like T-Rob could've played better. I was unable to watch the game live because I attended a friends graduation in Manhattan (don't judge me). I was listening to the game the whole drive home and I thought I heard Chris Piper say he picked up his first rebound in the second half. Thats not very T-Rob like. But a quality win versus a quality team, Sullinger or not.

Doug Merrill 7 years, 11 months ago

He didn't get so many rebounds because 1. we were shooting lights out - there were fewer offensive rebounds than usual. 2. his teammates did a better job boxing out than usual and were getting them instead. Young was great.

KEITHMILES05 7 years, 11 months ago

TRob's attitude and lack of hustle was very poor and disappointing. It's pretty apparent seeing him in person on the court he is gunning for highlights now. Self was FURIOUS at his lack of hustle back on defense and rightfully so. If he keeps this up this team is in a heap of trouble. Since when do his teammates need to stroke his ego? Come on Thomas, you are better than that. Think TEAM and not SELF.

Robert Brock 7 years, 11 months ago

I searched online and found some info on Geron, but don't have the full scope. The article in his hometown newspaper is no longer available, but apparently he was arrested his senior year in high school for burglary -not sure what happened in juco. If the kid has turned the corner, maybe we can give him a shot. Seems we are loaded with "smalls" and really need to target a great 2013 class.

jaybate 7 years, 11 months ago

Regarding Thomas Robinson, it is not realistic to think that he will not have some problems this season. He has absorbed some tremendous personal losses that are life long issues. He is in the head turning position of being the start of a Blue Blood program with all the media attention that brings. He is still finding his way as a starting big man. He goes to school. He is in Finals time. He's probably exploring romance. He's probably got a posse of advisors that want a piece of him. His head will come unscrewed from time to time. He means it when he says he is depending on guys like EJ to be a feedback loop. He is operating at the edge of his psychological envelope here. He has no comfort zone. He won't have one unless he stays another season either. We are very fortunate, and he is very fortunate that he has as strong of a character as he appears to have. Anything less and the stresses he is under would shred him.

Stay clean, TRob. Stay on task. Trust your coaches and your teammates. And play through as best you can. Talk to Mrs Morris. Study hard, because studying is a great way to bring basketball into some perspective. Love your sister. Try to have some fun on campus. And remember that you can always come back for another year, if you need to. Nothing is set in stone, but that you try to keep getting better.

You are playing very well for having a bum knee and a bum arm.

But you matter more than your play.

Keep fighting for that calm at the center of yourself.

Steve Brown 7 years, 11 months ago

plus we are coming up on anniversary of that personal pain coupled by fact Elijah's dad was in the house, multiplying the family issue. furthermore, the twins and other boys in the league have left town for NBA boot camp. then to top that off, he didn't get to showcase his game against Sully, lots going on for sure, including finals time...

stay clean, stay on task, trust, laugh and smile when you can, spot on JB, you are spot on.

AsadZ 7 years, 11 months ago

This is a classic post Bate. Once again you have put the discussion on hand in a good perspective. I don't think players would read comments from fans on this site but I sure do hope they get these messages.

yates33333 7 years, 11 months ago

"Keep fighting for that calm at the center of yourself."

I got it! JB is a psychologist, probably a corporate placement officer. In any case he is a head-mechanic of some sort.