Thursday, January 8, 2015

Notebook: Malik Newman to visit KU

No. 3-rated Class of 2015 recruit Malik Newman, plans to pay a visit to Lawrence, Kansas.

The 6-3, 180-pound senior from Callaway High in Jackson, Mississippi wrote in his USA Today blog this week: “I’m taking a visit to Ohio State on Jan. 24-26. That’s the only visit that has a date attached to it, but I’ll also be visiting N.C. State, Kentucky and Kansas. I don’t know about the dates right now on those. I haven’t cut my list or anything and that doesn’t mean those schools are my top four or anything like that; they’re just the schools that I’m going to visit for now. I still like other schools, too.

“People always ask me what I like about the different schools and, honestly, I pretty much like the same things about all of them. All of the schools recruiting me are great looks!”

Dorsey on fire: No. 19-ranked Tyler Dorsey, a 6-4 senior from Maranatha High in Pasadena, California is averaging 28.1 points, 8.9 boards and 4.8 assists per game through nine games. He had 40 points on Monday in a win over Diamond Ranch of Diamond Bar, California. He hit 11 of 16 shots and 21 free throws. He is considering KU, Cal, Colorado, Arizona State, Oregon and UConn.

More Embiid humor: Former KU center Joel Embiid took to Twitter after his Philadelphia 76ers beat Cleveland on Monday. “I told him to sign with us back in the summer and he didn’t smh,” Embiid Tweeted, referring to LeBron James. James did not play in the game.

In July, Embiid Tweeted to James: “Hey bro hope you’re having a good day ... Want to join us in philly? Peace.”

More news and notes from Kansas at Baylor

Comments

Rodney Crain 7 years, 7 months ago

KY site is saying Newman is going to be committing to KU. Its all rumors till a hat is worn but it is interesting they would think that.

Rodney Crain 7 years, 7 months ago

<p>www.nationofblue.com It was a reference to the 247 site Meyer article as Gerry B says below, but also included comments from Ben Roberts of the Herald-Leader their LJW paper/site, also ref. other items from Meyer. Interesting take to see who they think we will get and who they think they will get. They have us down for 3-4 top flight players.

Newman has not even set a visit date with us, so this is all rumors but at least it is something. We will see in a few hours if step one happens.

link - http://www.nationofblue.com/2015/01/carlton-bragg-and-malik-newman-to-kansas-jerry-meyer-thinks-so/#.VK6oRvmIBpU

Rob Bedford III 7 years, 7 months ago

I just got a warning to wear protection when visiting that site. Full of viruses.

Rodney Crain 7 years, 7 months ago

works for me, my norton does not have any issues... Maybe it sees you are from a Kansas IP address... kidding :)

Darwin Dandy 7 years, 7 months ago

Well they do have a top point guard all ready committing and Newman seems to me to be a guy who likes competition so i could see him sign with us before UK

Rodney Crain 7 years, 7 months ago

Agree Darwin, I really like the way Newman plays. He could really help us and play a lot of minutes.

Gerry Butler 7 years, 7 months ago

didn't know about the KY site Rodney, but I DID see off the 247 sports when I was reading on the Carlton Bragg issue there was an article sayin KU was in line for possibly a huge haul with Bragg and leading nicely for Malik Newman and Brandon Ingram showing them leading in their what they call their last crystal ball predictor for Newman and Ingram but like you say not holding my breath until they officially announce

Rodney Crain 7 years, 7 months ago

Or put on the hat!!! LOL

Meyer does change it often, but at least I can see a possibily, if KO leaves and we have one transfer likely, those 4 listed would be top 2 or 3 again for 2015. Talk about 0 to 1,000,000 miles an hour in a month or two.

Tyler Capone 7 years, 7 months ago

Meyer had us getting Bragg for awhile. Also has us getting Newman and Ingram. If that holds I will love that class.

Micky Baker 7 years, 7 months ago

That would be a great class, and if one of the freshman declare for the draft, topping it off with Zimmerman would make it a huge class. Jaylen Brown would also be a very nice guy to pick up if we miss out on one of the others. There has been some speculation of Mickelson planning on transferring which would make room for another big guy a little further down in the ratings but not that far down.