Sunday, December 4, 2011

Duke loss weighed on Kansas guard Tyshawn Taylor

Kansas guard Tyshawn Taylor soars in for a jam over South Florida guard Blake Nash during the first half Saturday, Dec. 3, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following his team's 70-42 victory over South Florida on Dec. 3, 2011.

Download podcast

Videos

KU vs. South Florida

video thumbnail

Kansas defeated South Florida, 70-42 on Saturday, Dec. 3, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

On his team’s flight back from the Maui Invitational last week, Kansas University guard Tyshawn Taylor pulled out his iPad to watch a replay of KU’s 68-61 loss to Duke.

When he was done, he started it back over again — making a long flight even longer.

“It definitely weighed on me,” Taylor said following KU’s 70-42 victory over South Florida on Saturday.

So what was Taylor focused on as he watched the film?

“Counting those 11 turnovers. Counting that,” Taylor said. “Seeing where I could have made different plays and not turned the ball over. Seeing where I could have completed the play I was trying to make. Seeing the guy make that shot over and over.”

The Hoboken, N.J., native went over the video four times before finally moving on. He wanted to make sure that whatever mistakes he made wouldn’t happen again.

“Losing sucks, especially when you lose a game like that,” Taylor said, “when you know that if we would have just made two or three more plays, you could have won. Just two or three different.”

Taylor said he had been waiting to play Duke for all four of his years at KU.

“That’s one of the best teams in the country every year, so that was one of the teams you want to play against,” Taylor said. “I got my chance, and I just didn’t feel like I played as well as I should have.”

Kansas coach Bill Self preaches having a short memory, though, and Taylor believed his performance against South Florida would help his confidence moving forward.

Taylor contributed 24 points — two off a career high — on 8-for-10 shooting. He also added five assists to go with five turnovers.

“I think I did some things to get better today,” Taylor said. “And I think I’ve got a long way to go until I’m where I want to be, but I think I made a step today, and I’m going to keep just making steps.”

Self was pleased with Taylor’s effort, saying he was the best player on either team in the second half.

“I hate that we’re relying on him to score that much,” Self said, “but when you’re shooting the ball like he did tonight, that was a big positive for us.”

Taylor posted a career high in three-pointers, making four of six.

“Me scoring well isn’t what I’m going to hang my hat on. I’ve got to be a point guard,” Taylor said. “I’ve got to be able to take care of the ball, play defense, get us in the offense every time and make open shots.”

His self-critique after Saturday’s game was much more positive than it was on the trip back from Hawaii.

“I’ve got to do better taking care of the ball and playing defense,” Taylor said, “but it does feel good to play a good game.”

Comments

jayhawker_97 10 years, 6 months ago

well, you saved the day, TT. nice scoring & D (as always) from your part in this game, but please "get us in the offense" by making good passes. as you said, you're a point guard! 3 assists per game doesn't make you a solid point guard - no matter how good of a game you play each time.

Godspeed, TT.

jaybate 10 years, 6 months ago

Tyshawn is going to be a heck of a PG by season's end.

He is in getting better mode now, not just hanging on trying to learn a new position.

No player has started in so many roles for Self in 4 years.

FR impact 2 SO glue 2 JR PG SR scoring PG

Self loves Tyshawn and rightly so.

The kid has come far.

The kid is about to go much farther.

jaybate 10 years, 6 months ago

They'll be back as soon has he shoots a little less well.

He is a variable player and he triggers persons' dreads about uncertainty.

But his average trend line is continuing steadily upwards.

Brian Conrad 10 years, 6 months ago

if he stops the lazy one handed shove pass....

jhawk23 10 years, 6 months ago

REHawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Of all Taylor's terrific second half plays, the one which brought me leaping from the couch was that pass to Robinson late in the game. Tyshawn could have finished with 26 points, but he played like a point guard and shared the moment with his teammate. TT's progress is painful sometimes to watch, but when he is ON there are few players who are capable of such explosive and delightful moves. When his scoring contributions are so dependable, perhaps the best we can hope for is an assist to turnover ratio of 1.0.

Jeff Coffman 10 years, 6 months ago

I feel that all of our scoring has been very streaky this year. EJ yesterday couldn't have hit the broad side of a barn yesterday. If he had shot 40% from three, this game would have been over at half time. It also should be noted that they were open 3s. Conner Teahan has let his early shots from 3s get to his head. I think he takes them way to quickly now. Although, yesterday I did see him head fake once and go for the drive, he also cleaned up on a shot or two.

Where I get most nervous. Is with good teams, if our team isn't scoring, the load goes onto TT, that is when he struggles. When he has to play offense and defense at such a high intensity for the entire game, I get worried. I still think he has one of the quickest steps when going to the hole. He just has struggled to finish; however, this year he has done better at finishing...but I see this as a process throughout the season.

Clarence Haynes 10 years, 6 months ago

The Duke game is history TT! Chalk it up and get over it! Also, forget people who still remind you of this. KU needs you to FOCUS and continue scoring like the 24 that you hit aginst USF!

KEITHMILES05 10 years, 6 months ago

Johnson is a total head case. He has no mental toughness at all. Self said it. I believe it.

jaybate 10 years, 6 months ago

EJ is in Self's toughening box and he is going to look absolutely awful until Self lets him out.

We see this same process every year.

He did it last year with Tyshawn and Brady and Elijah.

He does it every year.

Sooner or later guys Self is going to count on in March go into the toughening box during the year.

If you don't produce and he expects you to, it is only a matter of time until you go into the toughening box.

Self is psychologically brutal to the guys in the toughening box.

He tweaks them every way a person can be tweaked short of torture.

EJ is back in the box.

EJ will continue to look awful until Self thinks he's had enough.

It appears it will go on for another month.

Self also uses the toughening box to bond the rest of the team together. He picks on a guy that the rest of the team thinks does not deserve to be picked on. Over time the team gets the message that a player like EJ, who is bubbly and cheerful and probably quite thoughtful and considerate, is being picked on because of them. It creates an us versus the coach mentality.

It is part of the way Self takes the team off the nipple of depending on him for leadership, and toughness and victories and instead learns to depend on itself for same.

It works every year.

Michael Luby 10 years, 6 months ago

+1.

Anyone know if Coach Self is x military? Even for just a couple years? His Psychological tactics smell like bootcamp...

jaybate 10 years, 6 months ago

Keen !@#$ing eye.

Man, do I hope you are wrong, but you don't miss much on this sort of stuff.

Michael Luby 10 years, 6 months ago

Good question Drgn. I was wondering about that early in the season...if it would affect him. I popped my shoulder out a few years back in the gym, never has been the same.

hdotk 10 years, 6 months ago

I saw him at Chipotle about a week before the start of the semester and his arm was in a sling, maybe another summer injury/tweak?

yates33333 10 years, 6 months ago

BTW jaybate, good see you getting interested again.

jaybate 10 years, 6 months ago

Dang, yates3333,

Did you put your students in the toughening box, too.

You got me. :-)

kerbyd 10 years, 6 months ago

I believe EJ just recently had a kick ass game where his godfather or some relative was present. Didn't seem to have anything physical wrong at that time.

kufaninmo 10 years, 6 months ago

Ya know, I've left a couple somewhat negative comments about Taylor here, but we need this dude. He sounds like he's really maturing as a player and a person.

Jeeveshawk 10 years, 6 months ago

What the hell? This article on how TT felt after the Duke game came out now?!

Also, Ty is doing better, but he will have to score like he has been doing and be smarter with the ball. Last year we could pull TT out and put in another guard such as Selby (but only for the stretch of games where he was stunning or at least decent) or TravisR. This year we may be able to pull Ty out and have a guard lineup of EJ, CT, and Trav, but this would hurt the scoring power we would need to beat OSU.

Loosing to Ohio St would not be a shame or make us look like a terrible team. However beating them would be great. We played UK relatively close and would have probably beat Duke if the refs were fair (not that I'm trying to be a poor sport about that game) so we have shown that we can scare even the best teams but not that we can defeat them. If we took down OSU we would be not only a much more intimidating team but a more confident one.

In order for this victory to be possible, we would need Taylor to play well like I stated earlier, we would also need a bigger presence inside with TRob and Jeff. It wouldn't hurt if EJ and Trav scored more and if we get solid play from Tharpe, CT, Young, and Wesly off the bench.

AsadZ 10 years, 6 months ago

TT shoulders/arms look real solid/cut in this pic

fansincewilt 10 years, 6 months ago

I'm not upset about the play of the team. They have their eyes on Ohio State and I think they just might beat them. I think we match up pretty well. Taylor will be key to this possible win. If Taylor is on, the Buckeyes just might be in trouble.

David Howell 10 years, 6 months ago

Beating Ohio State would be nice, but wouldn't mean much at all considering how poorly they've looked against very sub par teams. The Hawks have kept bad teams in games they should have been blown out in sooner then later. All those turnovers and mistakes are going to haunt them real soon as Big 12 play kicks in. At this point I have to hope we are not run out of our own gym and embarassed. That hasn't happened in some time.

Based on what I've seen so far, having better then a 9 - 9 record in Big 12 play will not come easily for the Hawks. We need Withey coming off the bench instead of relying on him as a starter. Teahan for all his promise from 3-pt. range hasn't been there except against exhibition teams and he is still painfully slow.

I just hope that I can remain calm as I watch the Hawks throughout the rest of 2011-12 season. Short of extreme improvement , I can't expect much out of this years team as I look towards next year ...............