Kansas defeats Oklahoma, 85-78

• 8 p.m., Jan. 19, 2015
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Monday, January 19, 2015

Just in time: Jayhawks come through in clutch to beat OU

Kansas guard Wayne Selden Jr. (1) and the rest of the bench celebrate a three by teammate Brannen Greene to reclaim the lead late in the second half on Monday, Jan. 19, 2015 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Self: KU needs pace from all five players; Alexander showed improved energy

After his Kansas basketball team beat Oklahoma 85-78 on Big Monday, coach Bill Self meets the media and says KU needs as much pace as it can get from all five players on the floor. Plus, Self says freshman Cliff Alexander played with great energy against OU.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Alexander, Ellis and Greene discuss KU's Big Monday win over OU

Kansas basketball players Cliff Alexander, Perry Ellis and Brannen Greene meet with the media following the Jayhawks' 85-78 win over Oklahoma on Big Monday. Alexander discusses playing with more of a "motor," Ellis says KU has a team full of players who can score and Greene says he is constantly ...

Download podcast

KANSAS 85, OKLAHOMA 78

Box score

Bill Self raced through the fabled northwest tunnel of Allen Fieldhouse with a big smile on his face, slapping palms with a pair of fans on the way to the locker room after Kansas University’s 85-78 ESPN Big Monday victory over Oklahoma.

“Fun game, huh?” Self asked the delirious duo, who nodded in agreement.

Fun?

Crazy?

Thrilling?

Wild?

All those words could be used to describe a game in which KU saw a game-high lead of 20 points turn into a four-point deficit before some heroics by Brannen Greene and others down the stretch paved the way for KU’s fourth Big 12 victory in five tries and 15th overall win against three defeats. OU fell to 14-6, 3-3.

“What a game! That’s good for Big 12 basketball there,” said Self, who was the polar opposite emotion-wise late in the fiercely contested contest, when miffed at a call, he pounded the video board panel next to the bench three times, knocking it offline.

“We played a great first half (in tying a school record with nine threes in a half and leading 51-32 at break). They played a great second half (in leading 69-65 with 4:56 left). The basket got thimble-sized for us the first 15 minutes of the second half and looked like a big water tub for them. To have guys step up when we had absolutely no momentum ... I think we grew up a lot tonight,” added Self, whose Jayhawks outscored OU, 20-9 the final five minutes.

KU was down 71-70 at 3:28 when Kelly Oubre Jr. (19 points, nine rebounds) missed the back end of a one-and-one. Cliff Alexander (13 points, 13 boards) rebounded out to Greene, who hit what turned out to be a game-winning three, giving KU a 73-71 lead at 3:25.

“I thought it was good. Yeah it definitely felt good,” said Greene, who hit three threes (KU was 10 of 19 to OU’s eight of 25) and scored 12 points in 15 minutes. He played just eight minutes combined the past two games.

“Good rotation and rhythm. It was a good shot. I felt it was good. I was fine. I knew what I needed to do. I had to improve on the defensive end,” added Greene, who said, “of course,” when asked if he’d had some conversations about his play with Self of late.

“I have to improve on the defensive end. I’m working on that. I’m not a great defensive player. It’s all about improvement and it’s what I’m trying to do. The important thing is we’re on the same page,” he added.

Isaiah Cousins followed a Frank Mason III (10 points, four assists) 10-footer with a three and KU led, 75-74 at 2:20. Alexander then dunked off a feed from Mason and Oubre scored on a drive and the Jayhawks led, 79-74, at 1:15. Oubre answered two free throws by Buddy Hield (26 points) with another driving layup and KU led, 81-76, at :55. The lead didn’t dip lower than four the rest of the way.

“We knew we wouldn’t shoot like that the second half,” Greene said. KU hit 57.6 percent the first half and was nine of 13 from three. The nine threes tied for most treys in a half in school history. KU hit nine in the first half in 2010 at Nebraska; nine in the second half against Hofstra in 2009 and nine in the first half in 1994 at North Carolina State. KU hit its first eight threes for the first time in the Self era. The school record is nine without a miss, in 1994 at N.C. State.

“We were hot at the beginning. Oklahoma got hot the second half. (48.4 percent second half after 32.4 the first). We got back into a rhythm. The crowd got into it. Everybody’s back to school. It was fun,” Greene stated.

Of the keys to victory, Self said: “B.G. had kind of been out of it and not playing as much. He helped us win that game. He did make the biggest shot of the game,” Self said. “Two freshmen played pretty well, Cliff and Kelly. Everybody else was solid. It was a fun game to be part of. Our crowd was great. We really needed this one tonight.”

More news and notes from Kansas vs. Oklahoma

By the Numbers: Kansas beats Oklahoma, 85-78

By the Numbers: Kansas beats Oklahoma, 85-78

Comments

Reggie Flenory 4 years, 5 months ago

1.) if Wayne Selden can mentally stay locked in and focused for a full 40 minutes my god he is going to be everything we thought he would be coming out of high school his passing ability and court vision are tremendous I just wish he would attack more like Frank Mason does.

2.) Kelly oubre is finally starting to figure out that he is physically and skill wise superior to 90 percent of the matchups he will face in the big 12 defensively and offensively he is beginning to have a mental awakening and awareness similar to Andrew Wiggins once he figured out how to play the game at the college level. I can't say enough about this kids play his heart and his tenacity on the floor it's contagious.

3.) cliff Alexander is going to have to add about 15 or 20 pounds of muscle before he leaves Kansas he is going to have to have a Thomas Robinson type of body in order to play the style of ball that he wants to play which is more of a power back to the basket style having said that just his pure raw ability is still good enough to help us win games but I think one more year here at Kansas will do it will I love his tenacity and Fire around the rim he just needs to get stronger.

4.) if brandon green continues to improve that is going to be bad news for the big 12 because man his jumper is so pure every time he shoots the ball I think it's going in and we need his shooting ability his defense is what needs work but compared to where it was his freshman year he is coming along nicely.

5.) Frank mason is the truth

Nathan Scholl 4 years, 5 months ago

Cliff can add muscle, by the impressive tutelage of Hudy, but not NECESSARILY (he could, but genetics are tricky) the excessive pounds you are insinuating. Maybe so, maybe not. He needs to continue to have the motor that Coach wants him to possess. That being said, college ball this year and most likely the next few years to come will demand a strong cardiovascular regimen. A la transition teams of the past. Cliff is a talent that any program would do anything to have. As Kansas fans, we have the benefit of knowing that our Hall Of Fame Coach will get the most out of his players. Coach Self will get the most out of Cliff. His potential is exciting to see.

Reggie Flenory 4 years, 5 months ago

True cliff is listed at 240 I think 255 or 260 would be good and he's gotta continue to improve his post game

Walter Bridges 4 years, 5 months ago

Agree..Cliff and TRob have different body types and different skills. TRob is barely hanging on in the NBA. Let Cliff be Cliff.

Nathan Scholl 4 years, 5 months ago

That being said, my Jayhawk brother, I love your enthusiasm for the team and the players. I agree with the majority of your views. Love this team. Rock Chalk always Reggie.

Rodney Crain 4 years, 5 months ago

Agree - way to many. You never know how they are going to play or who is going to play well. How many halves have we had where we either dominated or got dominated? Too Many...

Rodney Crain 4 years, 5 months ago

I am so glad you got my wry humor. LOL. Thanks Walter have a nice evening!

Reggie Flenory 4 years, 5 months ago

Sad but true but look on the bright side this is a down year for kansas basketball it only gets better from here

Steve Zimmerman 4 years, 5 months ago

Well, we saw a lot of good things happened vs OU: - 1st half good % shooting - 1st half D & tenacity - our team knows how to give a good scare to fans - we won against a good OU team - watching HCBS knocking at the table

As well as some major room for improvement: - 31 - 9 in the first 10 minutes of 2nd half is so so bad - more penetration and dish to Cliff - more dunks from Cliff!!!

Walter Bridges 4 years, 5 months ago

Watching Ellis from nailing 3s and going hard to the rim on both offense and defense to seeing him miss layups, dunks while playing tentatively from moment to moment is exasperating to say the least. Inconsistent play by both players and team will be this teams undoing.

Nathan Scholl 4 years, 5 months ago

I am happy that the kids are learning as they go. The talent on this team is very impressive. The first half showed that. Did they wear themselves out being the team that Coach knew they could be? They made plays down the stretch. I BELIEVE the Hawks will gel in time with the Hall of Fame tutelage of Coach Self. In Bill We Trust. He should get an honorary Doctorate in psychology. Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

Walter Bridges 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm not sure how they 'wore' themselves out but it's rare to see this team put together two consistent halfs in one game. Offhand, the most consistent game played so far this year was against Kentucky...

Mike Riches 4 years, 5 months ago

The fact they scored 51 and shot lights out in the first half wasn't what impressed me. We know this team can shoot, and the truth is, a lot of teams can get hot for a stretch, especially at home.

The fact that they found other ways to manufacture points late, and never gave up, but kept fighting, despite giving up a large lead, is what I've come to love about this team.

Reggie Flenory 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree I'd say k.it's effort on both ends is a big part of that

Tony Bandle 4 years, 5 months ago

Luckily, all I had around me were soft pillows during that second half or I would be heading out to BEST BUY right now to purchase a new flat screen!! :)

Tyson Ailshie 4 years, 5 months ago

I about destroy my flat screen every time Fran and Brent are on the broadcast

Jerry Collins 4 years, 5 months ago

When Kelly Oubre tipped the ball on defense and then dove to tip it again and got up and dove to tip it again resulting in a OU turnover might b the best hustle play I have ever seen.

Reggie Flenory 4 years, 5 months ago

definitely one of the best Wayne Selden diving into the crowd last year was pretty dope

Benjamin Clay Jones 4 years, 5 months ago

Gary, just how was Greene's shot "a game winning three" when it made the score 73-71 and the Sooners went on to surpass that mark of 73 by five points in the final tally?

Len Shaffer 4 years, 5 months ago

Because KU never trailed again -- like a game-winning RBI in baseball.

Regardless of what it's called, I assume you'd agree it was the biggest shot of the game?

On another note, I feel confident in saying that KO will win us at least one game in the tournament with a huge play down the stretch.

Benjamin Clay Jones 4 years, 5 months ago

Len Shaffer, whether in baseball or basketball, a run cannot be called "game-winning" unless it produces a margin of victory, which this did not. Gary is misusing the phrase. The phrase he and you want is "go-ahead."

Len Shaffer 4 years, 5 months ago

Benjamin Jones, you may be right logically, but for a number of years there was a stat in baseball called "game-winning RBI," and it was used in this way. That's what I was referring to.

Harlan Hobbs 4 years, 5 months ago

Kudos to both Reggie and Nathan. Your enthusiasm and insight is a joy to read. Also, I am with you on the pillows thing, Tony.

Isn't it a hoot how us guys yell at the television. My wife has to leave the room because she just doesn't get the point that these games are a matter of "life and death", or so it would seem.

RJ King 4 years, 5 months ago

"us guys?" Hey, there are a few of us out here who both drop a couple f-bombs AND attempt a manicure while watching Jayhawk basketball.

Ron Prichard 4 years, 5 months ago

Why would a guy attempt a manicure while watching a basketball game?

Ohh, wait....now I get it! ;-)

Reggie Flenory 4 years, 5 months ago

Maaaaaaaaaaaaan who yo tellin nobody sits around me at the bar here in Los Angeles they just don't get it unless it's the Lakers they don't understand the rich tradition and history that is Kansas basketball very bandwagon state if UCLA was winning you see them all over the place so I keep wearing my Crimson in blue and keep rock chalking and JayHawkin

Harlan Hobbs 4 years, 5 months ago

Correct my grammar - - your enthusiasm and insight "are" a joy to read.