Friday, November 20, 2009

Elder Henry makes debut

C.J. well enough to play nine minutes

Kansas guard C.J. Henry drives past Central Arkansas guard Imad Qahwash during the first half, Thursday, Nov. 19, 2009 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Morris twins shine in KU's rout of Central Arkansas

KU piled it on Thursday night against Central Arkansas, in part thanks to solid contributions from sophomore forwards Marcus and Markieff Morris.

Elder Henry makes debut

Perhaps intentionally, C.J. Henry didn’t tell his mother, Barbara, that he was going to play in his first game for Kansas University on Thursday night.

Audio clips

2009 KU-Central Arkansas

Reader poll

Which KU freshman was most impressive against UCA?

• Thomas Robinson 36% 910 votes
  • Elijah Johnson 6% 158 votes
  • C.J. Henry 39% 977 votes
  • Xavier Henry 16% 415 votes

2460 total votes.

“She’ll probably want to take pictures and stuff,” C.J. said with a grin after KU’s 94-44 victory over Central Arkansas.

There’s good reason that Barbara might have wanted to celebrate Thursday night like it was the first day of school or graduation.

C.J. logged his first minutes in an official basketball game since his senior year of high school — a state semifinal game against Edmond Santa Fe all the way back in 2005.

“I wasn’t nervous. Maybe a little bit anxious,” Henry said. “I was just excited.”

Henry, who has been battling a knee injury, told KU coach Bill Self before the game that his knee was 80 percent.

Self suggested that the guard try it out against UCA.

Henry said he became emotional when watching KU’s pregame video.

Henry showed some of his offensive potential in his nine minutes, scoring eight points on 3-for-4 shooting. He also went 2-for-3 from the three-point line.

“I thought he moved pretty good. He said his knee felt good out there,” Self said. “It was good to see him get a couple down. He is a good shooter.”

So what does Henry see his role as on this year’s team?

“It’s going to take time. I think I’ll definitely be in the rotation,” Henry said. “I just have to work hard every day to get my reps in. That is the first game I’ve played in four years. I understand that. I’ve got to get used to playing with everybody. That’s the main thing this team needs is chemistry.”

So far, Henry said the knee was holding up just fine.

“It’s healing, which is good, and it’s almost healed completely,” Henry said. “I’ll just be glad when I’m 100 percent.”

He said the last few weeks had been a challenge. The guard first aggravated the knee injury in Boot Camp.

“I had some fluid in there, and it kind of stayed,” Henry said. “I got it drained, and the swelling’s been down for about a week, so I’ve been practicing.”

Henry said he didn’t plan to tell his mom that he was going to play in KU’s next game, Wednesday against Oakland.

“I hope to be playing from now on now,” Henry said with a laugh. “I won’t have to tell her.”

Comments

FlaHawk 4 years, 9 months ago

Nice start for CJ. Hard to believe it just hit him that his whole family has now played for KU at one time or another!

jgh 4 years, 9 months ago

Encouraging first game. 8 pts in 9 min and a deep three. Seems to be a pretty hard-nosed defender, too. Has some swagger and confidence.

Can't read too much into it, but when he is fully into the swing of things, I can see him stealing quite a few of Taylor's minutes.

Joseph Kuebel 4 years, 9 months ago

I don't care what anyone had to say about this whole recruiting debacle b.s...I was out here in California the whole time just hoping we'd land these two key elements of our team and 'Hawk family...

All I wanna say is that...this right here is special.

“I was like, ‘Man, my dad played here. My brother played here. My mom played here. My aunt played here. Man, this is crazy. We all played here,’” Henry said. “It’s indescribable for your whole family to do one thing.” - CJ

Thanks for choosing KU...you guys made the right choice (coming from the West Coast- and growing up in Chicago) and ya I've been shot too I have a real view of this world...no bullsh**. Shot in Denver in 2007 the day we lost to UCLA, what a day...

Personally though, congrats to you and your entire family to be able to share this. I feel a connection with my one dad's cousin that made it to KU and became a fab lawyer... I can only imagine how that'd be to have your whole family share that (where u not only go to school, its where you grow up and turn into you...)

We have a ridiculously loaded team, and for your sake, CJ I hope you're able to become a pro and if he you aren't you definitely have the experience in the pro world to make one hell of an agent...best of luck to you and your brother too, you guys are a blessing to this season, just don't let it ur heads get too big and blow it like '02 when 'Melo got us when i was a freshie!

Much Love for you guys already,

Jayhawk Nation

Joseph Kuebel 4 years, 9 months ago

don't lose focus and go undefeated, and you make me mad vegas loot!

4 years, 9 months ago

Very nice debut. Welcome home, C.J.

Steve Brown 4 years, 9 months ago

I would wear red for State, Misery, UCLA and to have some fun,wear them in lincoln on their home court to just say, 'we own you & we even own your color when we want to'.

indyhawk 4 years, 9 months ago

That's funny! "we own you & we even own your color when we want to" LOL!!

Joe Baker 4 years, 9 months ago

I like the red and would like to put the stupid Larry Brown superstition to rest about the red unis.

I think they look sharp!

No matter the color, just win!

HawkTawk 4 years, 9 months ago

I agree with truehawk93,

I dig the red uni's - for both basketball and football.

They definitely looked great in Miami at the OB...man I miss those times.

I wish we worked the red uni into our arsenal more often.

boo yaa.

pitthawker 4 years, 9 months ago

Phog Allen said RED was the most intimidating color to wear. I love it.

DocBean 4 years, 9 months ago

Aren't we undefeated in the red uniforms? In both Football and Basketball?

or has the Football team worn it this year?

Joel Hood 4 years, 9 months ago

DocBean - Not in 1986.

I remember hearing that the red uni's are part of the Adidas contract. I think we are obligated to wear them twice per year. Maybe someone at the LJW (hint hint Jesse) could look this up and give us all the details.

I hope CJ does become a legit threat to start. Right now, Tyshawn needs someone to pressure him for playing time. Someone more mature that is a scoring threat, but doesn't make so many silly turnovers.

Lance Hobson 4 years, 9 months ago

It was so wrong for that snake Cal tried to take these two from their KU family. They obviously belong here.

JayCeph 4 years, 9 months ago

Nix the reds. That is a weak color that has been appropriated by too many also-rans. IA State, Nebraska, TexTech, Oklahoma... too many in our own conference. Shelve them.

Blue or White.

JayhawkPiller82 4 years, 9 months ago

I like the Red!! Use sparingly, for special occasions or change of pace. AND, the Football team could use a some of that…………ok,ok, this is BB, but something’s got to give on the gridiron. Obviously NOTat Texas with their “Burnt Orange” crap everywhere, but why not for the Mizery game. Chiefs and Stadium color scheme is RED, perfect time to use in Arrowhead! And JayCeph is right not in Big12 games. And it IS in our Addias contract and if they want to sell the ones in gift shop, they had better wear them more than twice a season. We ARE Crimson and Blue.....!!! RCJH.....Go KU

Dan Harris 4 years, 9 months ago

Love the red from time to time