Originally published November 17, 2009 at 11:57a.m., updated November 17, 2009 at 09:42p.m.

Investigation of Mangino launched after player complains coach poked him

Reesing tells media that Perkins told players an outside entity would conduct 'unbiased' investigation of football coach

KU football coach Mark Mangino fielded questions about a recent meeting between football players and Athletic Director Lew Perkins at his weekly Tuesday press conference at the Anderson Family Football Complex.

Videos

Mangino investigation

video thumbnail

Videos related to the investigation into alleged inappropriate behavior by KU football coach Mark Mangino.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Mark Mangino discusses investigation

Mark Mangino spent about 10 minutes discussing an investigation the athletic department is conducting, as well as the upcoming game against Texas.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Reesing discusses Mangino investigation

Senior quarterback Todd Reesing provided more information about the investigation that is underway of KU football coach Mark Mangino.

Download podcast

The Kansas Athletic Department is conducting an investigation of football coach Mark Mangino and the Journal-World has confirmed the investigation began after Arist Wright complained that Mangino poked him in the chest in the days before KU took on Colorado.

In his weekly press conference, which was a brief 11 minutes, Mangino faced more than a dozen questions relating to news that broke this morning on KUsports.com that Athletic Director Lew Perkins held a meeting with members of the football team regarding concerns with Mangino.

Mangino opened up his press conference by saying he wouldn't comment on the matter, but ended up providing more information as questions persisted.

Mangino confirmed he had a 10-15 minute meeting with Perkins after the athletic director met with players. He was not at the meeting with Perkins and the players.

"If you want to know what was said, I'm not disclosing it. He's the one who's disclosing information about it, I'm not," Mangino said.

KU senior quarterback Todd Reesing said the meeting was between Perkins only and the players.

"Lew said an unbiased person, who will have no opinions either way, will conduct the investigation," he said. "I think Lew's doing what he has to do in the position he's in."

Reesing added that he didn't think this had anything to do with the current record, but said he didn't want to talk about what the investigation was about.

When asked whether this would be a distraction with a game against No. 3 Texas coming up this weekend, Mangino said it wouldn't, but added he was taking this matter very seriously.

"We're really focused on Texas. You lose a few games and those things surface," he said. "We're thinking let's do everything in our power as coaches and players to get a win."

Reesing said, though, that there was no turmoil within the team, but that they'd have to work hard to remain focused.

"I told the guys not to talk about it," Reesing said. "We're going to have to find a way to stay focused on Texas."

Check back later for more information.

Comments

KU 5 years, 1 month ago

OK, so who is he saying he's lost? Perkins? The fans? Assistant coaches? Players' parents?

Christopher Hauser 5 years, 1 month ago

"I haven't lost the team one bit. I may have lost some people around here, but it's not players," Mangino said. "Take that for what it's worth, you decipher it."- If you must leave all of us fans with the option to try and read in between the lines with this comment HCMM well then here it goes!

A. you are referring losing the support of quite a few fans

B. you are referring to losing the support of Lew Perkins

C. all of the above

I would have to choose C on this one if I were to guess

MitchumMan 5 years, 1 month ago

I'm guessing Lew doesn't like what he's seeing at all this year and wants things fixed in a hurry. A team with a horrible record isn't going to sell all of those seats at Memorial Stadium, let alone the 3,000 more they are planning on putting in this offseason. Could be wrong though. Hopefully this mess gets fixed quick!

Michael Wattai 5 years, 1 month ago

My two cents: When Roy left for Carolina, panic set in, but a new coach, Bill Self, brought a National Championship to KU in 5 years. Every end is a new beginning.

Maracas 5 years, 1 month ago

"'If you want to know what was said, I'm not disclosing it. He's the one who's disclosing information about it, I'm not,' Mangino said."

That says it all right there. Mangino is toast with a remark like that.

MitchumMan 5 years, 1 month ago

That was a pretty ballsy statement from the sounds of it. And if you're right Maracas, I just hope all the recruits that we have so far decide to stay with us.

RockiesJayhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

mwattai....you're right, all has turned out well with the basketball coaching change but a change in football is much more unsettling...especially given that Roy did not leave us in the midst of a disheartening 5-7 game losing streak.

lozar34hawks 5 years, 1 month ago

You didn't lose your fans mangino. Just made us disappointed! We must end the season with a 2 win win streak! tough but can be done!

focojayhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

1. I don't feel Mangino ever takes any blame or any heat in his interviews, but it is always put on someone else. Just what I see, any thoughts??

2. He has lost his players, I don't see how there is any doubt about that whatsoever.

MitchumMan 5 years, 1 month ago

TRs comments make me think I shouldn't even watch the remaining games we have. Sounds like the season is basically over. I don't think the team will stay focused with whatever going on.

GabrielMichael 5 years, 1 month ago

Coach Mangino is the reason that Kansas football has risen to respectability. We need to stop acting entitled and get behind our coach during a rough stretch.

If you want to be a football school you need to act like a football school and perhaps we could start as fans by not leaving at halftime when it looks like we're going to lose... which is what we're kinda doing right now.

shelleysue 5 years, 1 month ago

I for want don't want to see Mangino go. I will say this again - turnovers and stupid penalties at the worst times is what made this season what it is. I don't know - maybe those things happened because of internal strife causing mental errors. Maybe it was an injury. Who knows. What I do know is that this program has been great in recent years because of Mark Mangino and to get rid of him after this disappointing season would be a shame. I would like to see some coaching changes but not with Mangino.

I find it hard to believe that Mangino would suddenly be a problem internally.

The story says that something was brought to Lew's attention by a player but Mangino says he hasn't lost his players. ????? There are a lot of players who owe Mangino a lot because of his ability to bring out great things in players and to get players where they perform the best. There have been many players that no one else wanted (Todd Reesing) who Mangino did great things with.

I appreciate some of the things Lew has done but I think the Gridiron Club was jumping the gun - he needs to pace himself a little - we can't have it all in a couple of years.

I've also said this before - yes a lot of tickets were sold this year but idle fans sitting in Memorial Stadium and a student section that clocked out at half time did NOT help this team mentally. So what good was it to sell those tickets? The seat spacing is ridiculous - I'd like to see Lew fit four of himself in the four spaces he sold us. If selling tickets is what Lew's worried about that is.

I think we all have to be realistic in our expectations. Some call it accepting mediocrity and that being the reason we're mediocre which is ridiculous. I for one have just enjoyed the success we've had, had fun tailgating and watching the great players, relished the big wins and the OB championship and all the other things we have to be thankful for. I'm not going to get myself worked up expecting great things each week or every season for that matter. And I'm certainly not going to bail on the coach who has given us more than we ever would have imagined when he arrived in Lawrence.

DallasHawk 5 years, 1 month ago

Well said Shelly. I can't believe the people already posting about coaching possibilities. How quickly everyone forgets.

I agree this season has been disappointing, but you hit it on the head with untimely turnovers and an offense that hasn't changed it's stripes in 3 years and teams have adjusted. I think we were so worried on improving the defensive scheme that we let our offense get stale.

Hawk1969 5 years, 1 month ago

I think the Mangino era has run its course...there's an attractive option out there in the likes of Brian Kelly at Cinncy. KU now has the facilities and a solid AD as selling point, not to mention the Big XII is a prominent conference.

shelleysue 5 years, 1 month ago

Mangino may be evasive when answering questions - some coaches just prefer to keep it that way - but I have never felt like he shifts blame to someone else - in fact just the opposite. I haven't heard every word he's ever said but I don't think he blames others.

shawneehawk 5 years, 1 month ago

This would be a shame for both parties. I've always liked and respected the way Mangino's teams have played. But something hasn't been right all year and especially since "the fight". All the wholesale personel changes mid-season? Are the coaches really that bad in evaluating what talent should be on the field? I realize a player or two comes around and someone works into the starting line-up or they get a chance because of an injury but it really looks like we're grasping for straws sometimes. The tackling has really been sub-par as of late when at one time we were known to have the best tackling hardest hitting defense in the Big 12. Something is amiss and we're losing (or have lost) all the momentum from the OB. Even last year @ the Insight Bowl it was OK because we thought better things were right around the corner.

labbadabba 5 years, 1 month ago

Brian Kelly would be making a parallel move at best if he came to KU right now...

Bill Kackley 5 years, 1 month ago

As I wrote and told Lew a few years ago, get rid of Mangino you get rid of this season ticket holder who was loyal enough to suffer through the Terry teams. Maybe LEW is the one who should go. As far a mM never taking the blame, I hear him taking the blame every time they lose on the post game show. It's not the coach who fumbles, throws bad passes, throws interceptions, drops passes, don't get down the field and tackle on kickoff and punt returns or kickoff to the 5 yrd line when lucky. Get off Mangino's back, get on Lews back He is the world's biggest ass kisser.

MitchumMan 5 years, 1 month ago

Listening to TR speak in the podcast, it doesn't sound like Lew is behind Mangino at all. That and it sounds like some players have problems with him as well. Of course it's hard to make everyone on the team happy, but that's his job. For whatever reason he has lost the respect of some people that he needs to gain back - especially Lew. I'll be supporting the University no matter which way they decide to go with this matter.

Hawk1969 5 years, 1 month ago

Of course Mangino has done wonderful things for The University of Kansas, but something needs to change. Not sure what, but there needs to be shake up. There's too much talent on this team to be 5-5. As far as Brian Kelly goes...he'd be a good coach at KU. Yes, he's already in BCS conference, but he has an "it" factor about him. And, who says Mangino is gone? Let's all wait and see what comes out in the wash. I'm not hoping for Mangino to be gone, but, as I stated before something needs to change.

DDSF 5 years, 1 month ago

Mangino has done a great job here @ KU, but if he now has players that do not want to play for him there is a huge problem.

rkstoops 5 years, 1 month ago

Fortunately and unfortunately, I think MM lives and dies with Reesing. I love Todd Reesing and am one of his biggest fans, but in the same way he elevated Mangino in 2007 by his play and moxy, he is killing MM this year. Todd had a really rough stretch. I keep thinking he must have been more injured than we thought or something, but he played terribly those games. And our team lost and our coach is on the hot seat because of it. I'm not blaming Todd for everything, but I think his play for the last three years saved our coach's job, and now Todd's play is causing questions. But I still think we have a great head coach and hope he is given a vote of confidence by Lew. (Of course unless something off the field happened that merits discipline.) I hate losing, and I really hate seeing our seniors have such a crappy last year, but I still think KU is in the best shape as it's been in years as a program. Keep Mangino.

Hawk1969 5 years, 1 month ago

I agree with MitchumMan. I'll support the university no matter what the decision is.

jhokfan 5 years, 1 month ago

AZhawk:

I think it's just his style. Mark has always played his cards close to the vest.

DocBean 5 years, 1 month ago

Clint Bowen will be the new coach. Yikes.

Ben Kane 5 years, 1 month ago

I wont get to listen to the links until i get home but it sounds like we may have an assistant in charge for the final two games.

MitchumMan 5 years, 1 month ago

I could be wrong, but after reading his contract, we would owe Mangino about $575,000 if we terminated him without cause by December 1st. But maybe that's why they have hired someone with an "unbiased opinion" to look at the issue. Maybe Lew is already finished with Mangino and doesn't want to pay the man after giving him the boot. Of course...I have no idea what Lew is thinking.

Hawk1969 5 years, 1 month ago

Yes, Reesing has had a mediocre season at best. I'm not sure why. I thought maybe it was the o-line, but after they kept arguably the best d-line in check against Nebraska, I'm not so sure what the problem is. On glaring stat is turnovers in the red zone,or anywhere for that fact, and another glaring reality is the lack of defense in the fourth quarter. I know I'm exteremly frustrated with the play on both sides of the ball. That is a coaching issue. There are some problems internally with program.

crimsonblueblood 5 years, 1 month ago

I don't care to hear one of the students referring to the Athletic Director as "Lou."

Hawk1969 5 years, 1 month ago

I'm not so sure I will enjoy being at the Border War game this year...

jakzhumans 5 years, 1 month ago

I think Mangino's mouth may have just cost him his job. He's had problems with his mouth before - high school ref incident, dollars signs, etc. - but I thought he had that under control. Guess not. Dude, he's your boss. Whether you think he's right or wrong, you just can't publicly imply that your boss is inappropriately talking out of school. I've always like Coach, I met him once and he was great to both me and my son, and he's done wonders for this football program. But I think he just lost his job.

jayhawk_games_fan 5 years, 1 month ago

Just my 2 cents here....Reesing with his performance the last few years has developed kind of a SuperStar status at KU. He basically started to stink this season, with all his turnovers and underthrown/overthrown balls... Which leads me to believe he might be the one who stirred the pot and started this players revolution against the coach, just to remove all the attention on his stinking performance... Remember he was benched in a game, and he was very unhappy with that decision and came back saying to the press that he was the QB no matter what....basically implying he was pissed at Coach's decision to bench him.

stuckinchanute 5 years, 1 month ago

Mangino has been an internal problem since he's been here. Talk to anyone that works in the Athletic Department and see what they have to say about this "wonderful" man. Get him out of here!

jayhawkboogeyman 5 years, 1 month ago

The article sites anonymous sources as saying the investigation has to do with Mangino "yelling at and making contact with a player" earlier this year. Maybe this could have been how Mangino "dealt" with the player fights? Hard to say at this point, but I think a lot more will come out and KU will be in the market for a coach by the end of the Missouri game.

Kevin Long 5 years, 1 month ago

I have always liked MM. I hope nothing comes of this, but i'm afraid after his comment on Lew, it may be over. Either way I want the best for both parties involved.

86finalfour 5 years, 1 month ago

Mangino has always been one of my favorite figures in KU athletics. The guy squeezes every once of potential he's given -- with the exception of this year, of course. I've always felt like he's very smart, honest and direct -- he has a very genuine, "this is who I am" style, which I find refreshing. And I've always really liked the guy. I'm standing by him on this one, unless there's undisputed evidence of something really bad.

Steve Brown 5 years, 1 month ago

jayhawk games fan: your mom wears army boots.

don't speculate on junk you don't know about.

Ron_Kellogg 5 years, 1 month ago

The allegations, if true, will bring this program to its knees.

MitchumMan 5 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, I'm "speculating" that jayhawk games fan doesn't know what he's talking about at all. haha

afilmer 5 years, 1 month ago

mangino is a walking contradiction - on one hand, 2 years ago, he had the most disciplined team in college football - no penalties - no mental lapses - and then on the other hand, he is morbidly obese and unhealthy to say the least.

he can be as guarded as any coach in the big twelve in his comments - and yet he may have lost control of himself and strike a player.

he has brought a lot of pride to the program - and yet he has also brought a lot of embarrassment.

i'm conflicted.

Mike Barnhart 5 years, 1 month ago

Don't question a teams loyalty when it comes to firing coaches. Mark Mangino has been paid MILLIONS for the work he has done with the football team! The fact is, outside of one miracle season, the best he can do for us is "Bowl Eligibility". I WANT MORE!

So Lew, thank Mark Mangino, and wish him well. Tell him to enjoy his retirement and his great memories of 2007! We've moving forward without him!

suttonku 5 years, 1 month ago

Ron_Kellogg,

I agree with you that the program will be back to square one again...As a side note, it;s kinda weird that I see Ron Kellogg Jr. like every single day walking around campus here in Lincoln. Strange to see him at NU.

MitchumMan 5 years, 1 month ago

"Arist Wright was the player who first raised these concerns."

Isn't he a senior LB? The first thing that pops into my head is a player like this being ticked off because a true freshman is getting more playing time than him. Hopefully I'm wrong. I sure hope a player wouldn't jeopardize a coaches career because he didn't get enough playing time. I hope MM hasn't done anything to end his career at KU, but if he has, I hope it's not because of whinning players.

TrueBlue92 5 years, 1 month ago

I doubt there would be a need for an "unbiased observer" unless Lew has an Ace up his sleeve (like a possible replacement for the "observer" to measure Mangino against).

Tony Bandle 5 years, 1 month ago

The equation is quite simple..cruel, but simple.

Luxury boxes means money>money means fans>fans mean winning>winning means no more five [or seven] game losing streaks>no losing streaks mean new HC and Staff.

Unless you're Bobby Bowden or Joe Paterno, the day you're hired as a Football HC the countdown begins to the day your fired.

Totally cruel and unfair but the way it has been, is and always will be. :{

PS I also fully agree that Lew totally jumped the gun on this new stadium expansion and now he is covering his tracks.

Mike Barnhart 5 years, 1 month ago

Indictment:

Two years ago: Mark Mangino put together a great staff, worked his b*tt off, pushed all the right buttons and rode a "cupcake" schedule to the Orange Bowl where magic happened.

Today: Mangino is an egotistical, fat, bully that blames everyone else for his mistakes and truly believes that his "coach of the year" wasn't a lucky break.

Verdict:

Adios, Big Guy. We can do better.

TrueBlue92 5 years, 1 month ago

jayhawk_games_fan -- I seriously doubt that it's Mike Shannahan

Sean Rodger 5 years, 1 month ago

I like MM - I think he's done great things for the football program at KU. One note to remember is that Reesing found Mangino - not the other way around. KU football has risen to new heights because of HCMM.

Can he continue to raise the bar? Time will tell...

If he does leave (which I hope doesn't happen) one name to throw out there is Tommy Tubberville (former coach of Auburn).

Steve Brown 5 years, 1 month ago

shellysue: you said, I don't think coach blames others. (players for the losses) are you on crack.

He has blamed players the last few weeks, Only a couple days ago, he spoke in a quote on this site taking coaching leadership responsibility. I about flipped my waffle.

I was stunned to point of apologizing to him and giving him credit on this site. Yet guess what, he didn't just change his nature, he knew something I didn't know that the AD was mtg. w. players w.out him. Of course with that knowledge he took responsibility. Finally.

Steve Brown 5 years, 1 month ago

are we fair weather fans:

I'm not upset with the losing record, bad as it is. 1-7 conf. play is hard to swallow with this talent, yet not in of itself dismissal grounds.

I'm upset with lack of leadership at the top. Lack of passion and execution on the field and his (until two days ago) blaming it on dropped balls, etc.

It's done.

TrueBlue92 5 years, 1 month ago

Another name to throw is Dennis Franchione, who was a candidate before. Not sure his world is properly organized or if he has slowed down his "publishing company".

Ron_Kellogg 5 years, 1 month ago

Bill Cowher has expressed interest in the position

Eurekahwk 5 years, 1 month ago

I don't want to hear that soft schedule crap anymore. In 2007, we didn't play OU or Texas. But OK State was every bit as good as Tech that year. In fact, the Pokes beat Tech in 07. But we beat the crap out of every team in the north except Mizzou. Now, we are two year laters with talent that is just as good and we are the worst team in the North. Something is very wrong. Orange Bowl to conference doormat in so little time. And players aren't responding to Mangino anymore. How sad.

Hawk1969 5 years, 1 month ago

How many times has the table been set for Mangino and the Jayhawks in the North? This brings back memories of '06. No excuses!! With the exception of the Orange Bowl season, Mangino and the Jayhawks have underachieved. I'm tired of mediocrity and thinking bowl eligibility is good enough. They have the facilities, a good AD, and finally some fan support. Perkins should get his man in there.

Thanks for the memories Mangino, but you've wasted too many oppurtunities.

shelleysue 5 years, 1 month ago

lighthawk. I really didn't appreciate the comment. You could ask me a question without insulting me. I would like to point out that I don't agree with at least 75% of what you post on here but I don't accuse you of being on crack.

"but I have never felt like he shifts blame to someone else - in fact just the opposite. I haven't heard every word he's ever said but I don't think he blames others."

Please note that I said I have never FELT like he shifts blame and that I said I HAVEN'T HEARD EVERY WORD HE'S EVER SAID. In other words that is my opinion based on what I've heard and I haven't heard every word. I have heard him accept blame but never heard him shift blame. I HAVE NEVER HEARD IT. Didn't say he never did. I said I've never heard it.

Hawk1969 5 years, 1 month ago

No,lighthawk, a majority of us bleed crimson and blue and are not fair weathered fans. I loved the Jayhawks when Mason was there leading them to respectibility, I loved the Jayhawks when Allen ran them into ground, and I still love them with Mangino wasting opportunities...we're tired of the mediocrity with so much talent on the field. KU has the tools to bring in top quality recruits and yet they're 5-5 (1-5). There's absolutely no excuse for what this team has team done this year with the amount of talent they field and the amazing support behind them.

It is time for a change. There's no reason why KU shouldn't be in the mix for a North title and conference championship year in and year out!

gojbirds 5 years, 1 month ago

hawk1969, I don't agree that the program has the fan support. Just read the messages above.

All of this is unfortunate. We can blame the team's woes on a number of factors, publicly throwing players, coaches, ADs, etc under the bus casts a negative light on the program and will hinder KU's ability to recruit talented players and coaches. If the Mangino era must come to an end, we should all hope it is done respectfully.

jahawkdave 5 years, 1 month ago

F***ing drama? Is this a football program or a soap opera.

So who is to blame for this sinking ship? Players, Asst. Coaches, Student Section, the Fights? HCMM

I say 1. Reesing's injury (which we know hardly anything about) 2. Sharp's injury (which we know hardly anything about) 3. Abandoning Opurum (which we have not been given any reason) 4. Head Coach

Injuries happen they are out of anyone's control, how you manage those injuries falls upon the coaching staff. I don't think they have been managed well, obviously Reesing is playing like he's a lifetime member of Ducks Unlimited, but we keep running him out there. Maybe Pick is no better than a poor performing injured Reesing? Sharp is obviously not back to where we need him, but they won't give Opurum many carries until finally the 2nd Qtr NU.

They have been shifting and playing with the depth chart all season, it all seems like it should have been figured out a long time ago at the latest after the non conf schedule, all these kids have been on the squad many many practices/games/seasons.

There may be legitimate reasons for all this, but Mangino does not share any info at all so it is left up to everyone to guess.

Ultimately this is on the head coach. With the top 20 pay he gets and what he has to pay his staff, the facilities he has, the players he has, to be going through this absolute train wreck of a season, it falls squarely on the head coach. This is why he gets the big bucks, he is in charge of driving this train and keeping it on the tracks moving forward. It's fricking derailed and headed off a cliff.

My good friend is a college coach and was in the BIG12 for awhile, he has flat out told me that Mangino is not very respected in the coaching circles. Not that he is a bad coach or doesn't know what he is doing, he's not respected because he is not a very good guy. Coaches do not like working for him, he's a pr!ck to them and a majority of his players. Most coaches are stern demanding hardasses, but he is basically a mean belligerent Ahole.

Players and coaches at this level are used to and can handle the stern hardass type coach. However being constantly chewed out, cussed at and disciplined, by someone that doesn't have enough self discipline to take care of there own health, I assume gets pretty old, especially during a 5 game losing streak.

Hawk1969 5 years, 1 month ago

All this talk about who KU should bring in and no one has mentioned Peterson from Boise State...wait a minute I just thought of Dan Hawkins. Scratch that!!

Hawk1969 5 years, 1 month ago

jahawkdave, I couldn't agree with you more about some of your comments. Not sure on your take about Mangino. Where did your friend coach? Not saying you're not correct about Mangino's demeanor, I don't know the guy.

He strikes me as condescending and arrogant. Not a real people's person.

Rivethead 5 years, 1 month ago

Where do you guys see all this "talent" on this years team?

The 2007 team was packed full of upper classman. This year: no.

The 2007 team had a kid who is now starting at LT in the NFL. This year: no (Hawkinson may make the NFL but that's 4 years from now).

The 2007 team had a kid who was a top 10 draft pick and singled handedly shut down one half of the playing field on D. This year: a big hell no

The 2007 team had three upper classmen LBs who were leaders and had a ton of starts. This year: uh, no.

So where is all this talent y'all see on this years team? Briscoe is likely the only NFL draftee on this year's team and I doubt he's a first rounder.

Hawk1969 5 years, 1 month ago

Fire Lew...are you kidding!? Have you been in the Field House lately or taken the new football complex? Who do you think got that one?

Hawk1969 5 years, 1 month ago

Rivethead, the talent is there. There's no reason this team should be 5-5 and in the North cellar.

lionsrock 5 years, 1 month ago

Does anyone know Mangino's record vs Big 12 Teams since he's been head coach?

shelleysue 5 years, 1 month ago

I think there are a lot of coaches that are described the way Mangino is described by jayhawkdave so I'm not sure how big a deal that is. I'm asking this question honestly. If he is such an awful person why is all this just now coming out. Have these things been talked about while he was at OK or KSU or earlier years here? Can someone that awful and not respected really win coach of the year? What's going on?

I can't imagine the stress these coaches have. Basically their job is on the line, so to speak, every second of every day. They are not totally responsible for their own destiny. The players, coaches, fans - everyone involved with athletics at every level has an impact on whether or not they have a job. Everyone needs to accept responsibility but when the chips are down it's the head coach who gets kicked in the teeth. That kind of stress is most definitely going to make even the nicest guy capable of saying things he probably shouldn't.

Andy Tweedy 5 years, 1 month ago

I don't want it to happen, but it sure seems like this is the beginning of the end. As for being back to square one, it all depends on the hire. I'm writing from Omaha where the local sports talk is already throwing around names of our next coach. One thing is for sure, Lew Perkins and Mark Mangino have made this a much more attractive hire!

Steve Brown 5 years, 1 month ago

Hawk 1969 I agree w. you 100%.

I was saying similar tidbits as you on this site last week, and was accused of being fair weather for my frustration.

hawkfan4life 5 years, 1 month ago

Mangino is definitely not a people person. He couldn't talk his way out of a brown paper bag if his life depended on it. Have you guys ever heard him in a press conference, or watched his weekly coach's show? It's pretty embarrassing really. It actually makes me wonder how in the heck he got through the interview process to be the head guy. No personality, no enthusiasm, no anything other than occasional anger. My friends that played for him a few years back when we stayed in the towers hated him because he belittled them so much. His anger is very consistent for his players. Some players respond well to that type of coaching, but the overwhelming majority don't. I don't doubt that Mangino knows what he is doing, he has had success. He hasn't had more success than he has had turbulence though.

Adam Evans 5 years, 1 month ago

Unless it comes out that he struck a player, I don't see MM being let go of just yet. Look at our 100 year history in football and tell me a 5 year span that has been better than the last 5 years. You can't. This has been the best half-decade in KU football history. It is a shame that it could be spoiled if some things come out more serious, but MM has not had any warnings or anything. I think they will give him another year, and if it's as lackluster as this year then he's gone. And next years schedule (aside from GT) is a LOT easier than this years.

And shame on you whoever said that they think TR is orchestrating this to take the blame off of himself. He and MM are not just player/coach, but friends. TR has more class than that.

I don't think the Cincy coach would consider leaving Cincy. They are the best team in a BCS conference right now. However, what about Gary Patterson from TCU? That would be a pretty good fit, and it would move him from the Mountain West to the Big XII. just a thought.

On a brighter note: beat Memphis! We only have 39 more games to go till another banner!

shelleysue 5 years, 1 month ago

rivethead - don't forget that kid who played tight end and caught practically everything thrown his way, was an EXCELLENT blocker and an EXCELLENT special teams player. He made a TON of difference. A TON. He is now a pretty successful player for the Bills.

You seriously have to look at everything. An injured QB, an injured RB and A LOT of young inexperienced kids. That will effect ANY team no matter who's coaching it.

Adam Evans 5 years, 1 month ago

And lions...his record, through last week, in Big XII games is 23-39. Here is a breakdown: 2002: 0-8 2003: 3-5 2004: 2-6 2005: 3-5 2006: 3-5 2007: 7-1 2008: 4-4 2009: 1-5

Only season with a Big XII winning conference record was 2007. And that season there was no Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech from the south and Kansas State and Nebraska from the north were awful. Not the norm we've come to expect. The only decent team in the Big XII (aside from OKST) was missouri and they beat us on a neutral field.

Hawk1969 5 years, 1 month ago

Mangino's record goes like this:

Baylor 2-2 Colorado 3-5 Iowa State 6-2 Kansas State 4-4 Mizzou 4-3 Nebraska 2-6 Oklahoma 0-4 OSU 1-3 Texas 0-3 Texas A&M 1-3 Texas Tech 0-4

Adam Evans 5 years, 1 month ago

We have a winning record against MU. nuff said. I say keep him. That's good enough for me lol

okiedave 5 years, 1 month ago

Mangino deserves another year. I lived in Lawrence for 25 years during the 50's and 60's and into the 70's and have followed K.U. football ever since. K.U. football has suffered because they lack continuity in their coaching. We get a new coach in and he does well and then he has a down year or two and the powers that be panic and think his good years were a fluke and we reload with new coaches and the cycle starts all over. K.U. has had more head football coaches than almost any other school, except K-State (who incidentally ranked in the bottom 10 poll almost every year along with K.U. duirng the 70's). The only reason that we should panic is if the players have lost confidence in Mangino. If the players respect him and want him to continue, then he deserves at least another year. How many times has K.U. won the Orange Bowl? Mangino, is one of the hardest working coaches in the game. He gives it his all. If the players are willing to give it his all, then we need to help Mangino make it work.

nettiepie 5 years, 1 month ago

I don't get it. what's he being investigated for? I read all these comments and people trying to decide why KU is losing and why they won in the past. but.. back to the subject: What's is the investigation about? Did he do something illegal? Or is it simply that if he's winning everything's peachy and we all love each other but if we're losing we look hard for a legal reason to get rid of coach?

troutsee 5 years, 1 month ago

After all this, the MM era has to be over. If it is not, he will be a lame duck coach, which would even be worse. He worked hard, but it is over. Lew would never have allowed the team meeting to slip out to the media if it wasn't over. It's over.

KUguyIn TarheelLand,

I don't think Patterson would come to KU. He's a K-State grad and his wife is Ft. Worth native.

On the other hand, Patterson IS tired of getting shafted by the BCS and I believe Lew has what it takes financially and in terms of facilities to a least tempt him to consider KU.

You never know?

Christopher Hauser 5 years, 1 month ago

nettiepie- Read this article that jayhawkboogeyman posted, it should explain what the investigation is rumored to be about.

Rivethead 5 years, 1 month ago

shellysue: GREAT catch. I'm so pissed off about all this (or more accurately, the ignorance of some of our fellow Jayhawks) that I forgot one of the most important pieces of the 2007 puzzle: Derek Fine!

Oh and Marcus Henry is also in the NFL too.

Christopher Hauser 5 years, 1 month ago

nettiepie- I just tried clicking on the link when I posted it and it says not found, so I dont know if espn pulled the article or what. Basically what it said was the investigation is about verbal abuse and possibly something physical happened between HCMM and a player or players. Of course HCMM is innocent of anything until something is proven and I will stand by him until I hear otherwise. Even though he is not in a court of law I think the same rules should pretty much apply to this in my opinion. All we have is speculation at this point.

Christopher Hauser 5 years, 1 month ago

or just go up to jayhawkboogiemans post and click on his link it works

Adam Evans 5 years, 1 month ago

I didn't realize he was a KSU grad. But, it wouldn't be the first time something like that happened. I mean, Spurrier went to South Carolina after his nfl stint from UF, and Saban did the same thing to LSU when he went to Bama. You never know. And, at least he's not a misery grad.

David Robinett 5 years, 1 month ago

People people people!!

Oklahoma fires Gary Gibbs - decade of losing follows. Nebraska fires Frank Solich - decade of losing follows. ISU fires Dan McCarney because he only goes to bowls every year - Chizik losing follows.

12 win seasons and Orange Bowl wins DO NOT HAPPEN BY ACCIDENT.

And who do you think is recruiting the better talent these days!?

I admit I was puzzled by MM's allegiance to Jake, which I feel cost us a decent running game, which would have provided balance, and taken some pressure of TR. But I also agree that TR on his own is simply performing poorly (got a bit full of himself, out DJ-ing late at night, WTF?) --yet I agree with MM's decision to stick with him.

The best way to ensure mediocrity is to jump the gun on firing a good coach because that means we'll never have stability. We finally have a good coach who can recruit, and is likely to stay. We had good coaches with Gottfried and Mason, but they didn't stay. Get a clue folks, and count your blessings, and support HCMM.

Larry Smith 5 years, 1 month ago

Arist Wright is pissed because he lost his starting position. He is trying to drag Mangino down. Does it not seem pretty transparent that a disgruntled, demoted player is the one bringing the concerns? If there was such a big issue, then why not have the leaders of the team bring it to light?

grandpa 5 years, 1 month ago

troutsee, you are a smart person. shellysue, you are going to hear more of this tight end you are referring to.

Max Ledom 5 years, 1 month ago

Bottom line, if you say goodbye to Mangino, you say goodbye to success Lew.

jhawkjunkie 5 years, 1 month ago

Yeah lets fire Mangino! After all KU has only had 30+ football coaches in it history. Lets fire him, waste 2 months finding a new head coach, loose some possible recruits to K-State, Missouri or any other Big 12 teams. Bring in a coach with new systems and hope the current player will adjust, or it will be like trying to fit square pegs in round holes. Then when we tank against Georgia Tech, Southern Miss, and the weaker Big 12 South teams, we can run that guy out of town just in time to get beat up by the OU, UT and TT South 2 years later. If he screamed at some players, BFD! Ask some of Bear Bryant's Texas A&M team how they felt about him after his first season there. This season has been frustrating, but STUFF happens. Mangino can't make Briscoe catch those 2 passes in the end zone against Colorado, or Meier not to fumble at the 4 going in for a TD, or Thorton going 100 mph and not to grab a face mask. Some changes to the coaching staff have to be made, but from where the program was when Mangino first got here to where it is now, he deserves at least one more season.

jayhawkintexas 5 years, 1 month ago

I agree with okiedave. A coaching merry-go-round isn't going to help the program be a consistent winner. Many coaches go through up and down seasons: Dean Smith and John Wooden (before the first national championship) in basketball; Walter Alston (former long term manager of the Dodgers) in baseball and Don Shula in football had their tough years. The owners stuck with them and it paid dividends. We need to support Mangino (even though he has called some boneheaded plays this year) for the long haul. We need stability in the program as much as talented players.

WestKanJHawk 5 years, 1 month ago

I think Mangino needs to show leadership in the face of adversity. Something is wrong here and the most glaring thing has been the defense. We had a defensive overhaul midseason. Are you kidding me that you could not see a problem in spring ball or fall practices? We could not stop a K-State offense that is undersized and outmatched. What in the world are we doing in a nickel defense against K-State? That is defensive coaching and preparation. It's not like they surprised us with Thomas rushing the football. Against Nebraska, the run defense in the 4th quarter was awful.

The players obviously don't believe in Bowen. They laid down against Nebraska late in the game and could not stop K-State with a completely ill-conceived defense. They don't believe in Bowen and his ill-prepared ideas and schemes. I do not blame the players one bit, they are just not excited to excecute a gameplan that they know is doomed from the start. Nickel package against K-State, WOW how stupid! Mass changes to defensive personnel in midseason? Mangino could show some leadership by cutting Bowen loose. Then the players could possibly believe in their coaches again.

jayhawkboogeyman 5 years, 1 month ago

http://www.kcconfidential.com/?p=10385 Not that the guy quoted in the article is the most reliable guy in the universe (go the link to see what I mean) but that author has worked for the Star for quite a while, so I give at least some credence to what he writes. If the type of thing that he mentions turns out to be the case, Mangino has to be gone. A lot of ugly stuff will be coming out in the coming days, I suspect. I cannot believe how this season turned out.

lisknits 5 years, 1 month ago

I have heard rumors from well-placed individuals that Lew has been looking for an excuse to fire MM since last year. They specifically said that had we lost to MU last year which we were totally supposed to do), Lew was going to make his move then. We won, so Lew had to wait.

How do we know these students came to Lew? Maybe he put out some feelers with parents--letting them know that he was "concerned" and then contacted the players. Who knows?

We know one thing for sure, whatever is happening, it would be overlooked if we weren't in a dry spell right now. At most, it would be handled quietly--as a true "internal matter."

KU football is not yet on the kind of solid footing that would attract a top flight coach. So, I hope Lew fails in his tyrannical attempt to fire MM. I'd be happier to lose Lew.

Adam Evans 5 years, 1 month ago

If I had my choice, as abrasive as he can be, I would go with AD Perkins any day of the week. He is a proven winner and leader. Our long term success as an athletic department will be better through him. Our women's basketball team is the best it's been in a while, our basketball team has had the best 5 or 6 years its had in nearly 15 years, we got the best men's coach in the country under Lew, and we got a great football coach (albeit one who is under fire now) under Lew, and that coach has led us to the best 3 years in KU football history. Perkins is the one of, if not the, best ADs in the country.

kualuminohio 5 years, 1 month ago

Folks look at where Michigan is, look at where Notre Dame is... Any questions, we have a coach that has shown he is a winner. My crystal ball is telling me if we rebuild maybe get some better support coaches we will be in another Orange Bowl in 2012. Oh wait this is America we need our instant gratification, well excuse me for being an optomist. Someone is stirring the pot here. And it is rediculous...

Mike Barnhart 5 years, 1 month ago

Okay all of you low expectation - just beat Mizzou losers, here's the proof that Mangino isn't "all that and a bag of chips". Nobody else has ever tried to hire him away from us!!! Never, ever!

troutsee 5 years, 1 month ago

Thanks, grand pa. I have a few seasons behind me too.

Dan Harris 5 years, 1 month ago

Hawkfromhays- I actually agree with you on this one.

babyjay1 5 years, 1 month ago

Boogeyman: exactly the link I was going to post. I wouldn't have a definite opinion on firing MM over performance issues at this point. However, if he truly did "choke" or in any way physically go after players, I do believe he needs to be done. That should be unacceptable.. Is it possible that he has self-control issues (we've seen the f-bombs on the sidelines...) and now that we're losing and things are not looking up for him, he is not able to physically manage his behavior ?? I don't know and I hope that the investigation is thorough.

milehighhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

Very interesting and plausible read in KC Confidential - thanks for posting!!

Adam Evans 5 years, 1 month ago

I think the inability to manage his behavior shows in his weight. I mean, I'm not one to criticize someone for their physical appearance, but it shows a lack of self control (like was mentioned earlier). And the players will feed off of that. I think that might have been one of the issues with the fighting.

jahawkdave 5 years, 1 month ago

Grunhard twittered he heard from a source close to the program, Mangino will be gone by Thursday. Source also said he was nervous at every prac. for 5 yrs. Not sure if Grunhard believed it but he reported it.

His twitter is @grunny61 if you want to see for yourself.

Also read on KC Confidential, people are saying MM choked Wright. (Source there is very sketchy.)

Adam Evans 5 years, 1 month ago

At this point I can't see how they can keep him. If any of this is proven true, it's a shame and he's got to go. Ah well. All hail basketball season!

Melissa Sigler 5 years, 1 month ago

This sounds more like an internal problem if it was brought up by a player. Anyone can see that we're sucking...doesnt really take an investigation to figure that one out.

If hes doing something to the players than he should be out immediately.

If this is about losing, which i doubt seeing all the secrecy...than maybe he deserves another shot since he has dramatically improved the program.

Dan Harris 5 years, 1 month ago

So sad if all this is true. To go from top of the world after the Orange Bowl to this! If however all this turns out to be false, we need to get behind MM and give him our full support. Others have posted and I fully agree that starting over with a new coach would set this program back 5 years no matter who the coach is (Cowher? are you kidding me!) I for one hope this is just some disgruntled kids trying to get their way. To the team, try and stay focused and good luck in Austin!

Benjamin Piehler 5 years, 1 month ago

i dont know if its true, but i was told by someone with some sort of a connection within the university that mangino is getting FIRED ON THURSDAY. not sure why they are waiting, and like i said, not sure if its true.

Christopher Johnson 5 years, 1 month ago

If we're talking about firing Mangino for something that he really did do to a player (not just speculation) I'm behind whatever needs to be done. But for us to be calling for his head for performance reasons is ridiculous. Kansas wasn't on the map for a long time before Mangino came. Mangino IS Kansas football. He started landing better recruits, winning clutch games, and getting more out of his teams than he should've before Todd Reesing came along (and don't get me wrong - I'm a huge Reesing fan). Mangino's teams have performed above expectation before Reesing got here. Now we have a disappointing season and we think we have the kind of tradition to chase a guy out of town for one disappointing season. I can't think of another season where I've actually felt we didn't perform at least AT or ABOVE expectations until this year. So what. Mr. "the hall of fame can wait" Bill Snyder had a horrible 6 win season sandwiched in the middle of several very successful years.

KU fans have no business to want to fire a guy with more success than anybody in recent memory, especially at KU. Do we really get that spoiled from 5 years of improvement that THIS man has brought to us? Give me a break. Stop being fair weather fans. Stop being a bunch of spoiled jerks. Other football fans have to laughing at our fans attitudes . . . for us to think we all of a sudden deserve 10 win seasons is ridiculous. It won't be ridiculous in the future, but Mangino's just starting to recruit the talent to be able to do it. It's a long gradual process, and he's recruited better each year. 2 years ago we were all behind this guy. We're pretty ridiculous to turn on him this fast.

Cimhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

Pretty stinkin pathetic.......Lew always gets his man........ask Roy.

jahawkdave 5 years, 1 month ago

Iowa State fired Mac then lost Chiz. They are going to a bowl this year. I believe what we can pay, the facilities we have, we will be alright. We certainly can't be any worse than this year, we won't be close to 07 either though.

Anytime you have a coach that never played the level they are coaching (Mangino, Haley) it's harder to get the players respect, and if your an a$$ and constantly demeaning your player, it's impossible to have their respect.

babyjay1 5 years, 1 month ago

If he did something to a player physically - gone! The only reason they would be waiting until Thurs is that they probably would need to dot i's and cross t's to make sure they fire him "with cause." Wouldn't that mean less of a payout to him?

kwoojhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

First, if he leaves are we really back to square one? Look at our facility upgrade, the national media (ok this year, not so hot), etc. I say no, we are now much more enticing to a "up and comer" coach. Second, if any of you have run an organization, been the guy at the top making the calls, well, when things go south a bit some people just jump of the ship and gripe and complain and if MM heard about that I bet he dealt with it directly. Ussually those folks are cowards and do it all behind the head guys back, eventually it comes around. You cannot have those types on your team in tough times. Of course once you deal with them, they make the head guy out to be the bad guy and only tell one side of the story. Add in young folks that might be a bit naive and you have a bad situation. I am sure Lew is not happy, he has a product to sell and we went backward! I personally think this coach has done a good job but really misses Bill Young. Ask Charlie Weis if he would want a top shelf Defensive Coordinator the past two years to go with his offense?

Hawk1969 5 years, 1 month ago

Charlie Weis HAS a top shelf defensive coordinator...Bryant Young is no slouch.

Justin LoBurgio 5 years, 1 month ago

Cimhawk.....are you suggesting Lew ran off Roy? May want to check the timeline on that one.

7texdude 5 years, 1 month ago

First, if Mangino physically assaulted a player, then he has got to go. Period. This seems like a Lew/Mark feud to me. The season goes down, the donors are unhappy, so let's fire the coach. Huh?

Someone said hire Gary Patterson from TCU. A big reason that GP won't leave TCU is because they stuck with him through a 5-6 season and an 8-5 year two years ago. Loyalty. He might leave TCU, but it won't be for KU.

Where is the loyalty at KU? I don't see it. If MM did not hit a player, then the whole thing seems iffy to me. Oh, goodness, Mangino is so rude to everyone. It didn't seem to bother anyone when KU went 12-1 and won the Orange Bowl. The same players who took MM and KU there are letting them down now. I guess those same guys are now running to the AD to complain. If Perkins fires Mangino, then these seniors' legacy is to turn their backs on a coach that led the Jayhawks to new heights. The crash is always uglier than the glory of the rise. Witness.

kualuminohio 5 years, 1 month ago

National Coach of the year in 07 and we are ready to run him out, are you serious... This is outrageous... People, fellow Jayhawks, check your heads, please...

Sean Rodger 5 years, 1 month ago

Poked a player? Are you effin' kidding me!?!

If this isn't the epitome of the pussification of America - I don't know what is.

KEEP MARK MANGINO!

troutsee 5 years, 1 month ago

Unfortunately, this whole episode has marginalized MM. The meetings should have been private or should not have taken place until the end of the year. I don't see how he can recover from this now that it is public. Maybe he can but the damage appears to have been done.

wolfy 5 years, 1 month ago

Poked in the chest?! Give me a break. You don't need an independent panel, and you'd better not blame this on a poke in the chest.

Kenneth Hillman 5 years, 1 month ago

"he poked me" (said in a whiny voice)

If this is all this is about...wow.

Hawk1969 5 years, 1 month ago

I'm tired of Mangino and the Jayhawks underachieving in football...3 straight years and the table has been set for a spot in the Big XII Championship game.

Yet, only Perkins, MM, and the players actually know what's going on right now. I'm just as frustrated as the rest of you and the time may be right for a change, but let's see what plays out here and get all the facts before we "lynch" MM.

Sometimes a reality check is the best medicine, sometimes its a change in the coaching staff, and sometimes the head coach has to move on. None of us know what's actually going on and hearsay is not a good barometer to guage the circumstances surrounding what's going on.

KU is in a good situation to draw a big time coach to Lawrence if need be. Let's leave the decisions to powers at be and hope for the best for an up and coming program with a lot of potential.

I did read a story on ESPN.com that says some players are threatening to transfer...that would not be good.

Hawk1969 5 years, 1 month ago

You may be right HawkfromHays...but, a mass exodus spells trouble when recruits start dropping the Jayhawks. This whole situation could be detrimental in more ways than just MM leaving.

screwyou 5 years, 1 month ago

The player complaint MM poked him on the chest?? Is that all??? Whoa that player should be lucky he got a father figure there. I wish MM would had slapped him on the head "Grow up son!" Having said that I expect MM simply kick out those bad apples in the future instead of giving too many chance. More diciplines. Look at the turmoils this past summer. MM is a good coach and heart. Let him clean up the program. Becareful with your wish for a replacement. Look at the Puff and NU with Callahan.

Signed me: GBR in Los Angeles

Jhawk59 5 years, 1 month ago

If Wright dislikes being POKED so much he must HATE Facebook!!!

nettiepie 5 years, 1 month ago

those guys go out and bust each others heads and the player is complaining about the coach poking him in the chest. Oh waaaaa. There's got to be more to it than that. The player looks like a pansy for complaining about that and I can't believe he'd want that on himself. Gotta be more to it than that.

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 5 years, 1 month ago

poked? i thought he choked a kid or something. this may be a non-story

Hawk1969 5 years, 1 month ago

The Jayhawks don't look like the #1 team in the nation tonight against Memphis...and Collins is having cramp problems.

Let's pick it up Hawks!

ksharddem 5 years, 1 month ago

GET HIM OUT OF HERE!!
This is not new behavior. Ask any devout fan of either KSU or OU and they will tell you about the stories of Mangino's temper. I have also heard that one should look at the police reports to see the number of times that the fuzz have shown up at the Mangino house. His temper is bad.
He is a great coach and really knows the game but what price does a winning team carry? I would rather be horrible then be unstoppable with this kind of reputation. We all, as fans, jump all over USC and even MU for their transgressions its time we either stood tall or joined their ranks.
I have been a fan all my life. I remember when Bob Valesente coached us. I am no fair weather fan. I am waiting eagerly for the day I can take my son to his first KU game because I want him to be proud of the Crimson and Blue. This cannot happen with Mangino at the helm unless he gets some serious help otherwise we might as well wear black and gold.

jayhawkboogeyman 5 years, 1 month ago

A poke? That seems kind of kindergarten to me, but it's no secret Mangino has a nasty temper. You kind of get the feeling that all his "keep it quiet, private" demeanor is the typical keeping up appearances behavior of an abusive __. A lot more is going to come out, I'm sure. This incident, in a vacuum, seems blown way out of proportion. But taken in the total picture of his team's pitiful performance, lack of energy, and his past incidents, I think that this alone is enough to get him out of here and that more damning evidence will come out in the coming days.

Larry Smith 5 years, 1 month ago

I will re-post this and I stand by it. Poked??? Are you serious? You are gonna rat out your coach for that. Ask all the Arkansas tranfers how that worked out for them.

nettiepie 5 years, 1 month ago

I still say this would be a non-issue of the team was 10-0. We'd all love him and want MM to stay forever--- temper and all. I'd rather have a coach with some zest than a coach who's a dishrag..... how soon we forget the Terry Alan days?

canuckhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

I don't really know whether the way Mangino acts during press conferences is similar to his everyday gravitas. If so, he is certainly abrasive and self-important. I know several people like that in my line of work. They have a lot of support when they are doing well (often from people that are afraid of getting on their bad side), but they make a lot of enemies along the way. When times are tough, their enemies strike quick and hard, knowing that they only have a brief window of opportunity and that they likely need to strike a death blow or face blow back. I could easily see Mangino's enemies taking this event as an opportunity to get rid of him.

Frankly, I'm floored by all the firing talk. Either I have a horrible read on this situation (which is very likely) or there are a lot of sharks here who are easily whipped up into a frenzy with even the smallest amount of blood in the water.

Billy Derringer 5 years, 1 month ago

who the hell said he can recruite, if he was such a good recrute dont u think we would have altlest beaten texas or oklahoma atlest once--what a crock, im tried of people saying dont fire mm u never know what your going to get---well u know what, u just might get the next bob stoops-- stop being sissys ku fan grow a pair and lets get this team on top wtf

PureKansas 5 years, 1 month ago

I fully agree with Jayhawk86. A poke? If anyone gets booted from the team, it looks like it needs to be Arist Wright. Mangino deserves better from the "fan" base, unless something specific comes to light. I wouldn't blame Mangino if he chooses to leave.

Christopher Johnson 5 years, 1 month ago

derringer29,

Are you in 7th grade, or did you flunk Spelling and English?

recruite? recrute? atlest? sissys? periods? complete sentences?

I'd probably steer clear of your advice.

Christopher Johnson 5 years, 1 month ago

This is trouble for KU's coaching situation even if Lew decides to keep him on board. I wouldn't blame MM for leaving either. We're a pretty crappy and ungrateful group of fans. It's been a fun ride since MM showed up. Somebody earlier said we've always underachieved. I disagree. Sure, we haven't won the North because we lost the wrong game each year, but we've definitely won more games than we were supposed to almost every year MM has coached. Remember the year we went to the Orange Bowl? Didn't we beat the spread every single game that year? I'd call that overachieving. It's a bad year. Live with it.

David Meredith 5 years, 1 month ago

This kind of thing being public severely compromises Mangino as far as future recruiting... apparently he does have quite a temper, which is not unusual for football coaches, but unfortunately in todays day and age you can not act like a Woody Hayes or Shembechler... you have to be more politically correct..... my concern lies with how this will effect future recruiting, and who will want to transfer... let's face it the players run the ship, a coach is powerless if enough players have a problem with the HC

ginger2015 5 years, 1 month ago

A poke!! Take off your pink panties Arist and play football!!

rastameta 5 years, 1 month ago

According to my source, several key younger players have told Lew they will transfer if Mangino stays as coach.

This is a serious issue and Mangino does not have too many many friends in the athletic department. Lew wanted to fire him last year but he couldn't get the support he needed.

He is getting the support this year based on the record and everything else.

This stuff is being released this year because Lew is trying to get support and the Hemingway is retired. The person who stopped Lew last year.

7texdude 5 years, 1 month ago

Can you give me the name of a bigtime coach that will come to KU? Cincy coach? He's going to Notre Dame or if he stays then the road to the NC game is easier in the Big East than the Big 12. Gary Patterson? Come on. Will Muschamp? He's in line for UT. How about Harbaugh from Stanford? Hah!

KU has a bigtime coach. He's just a little - maybe a lot - hotheaded. What coach isn't? I will say again: give me a name of a better coach than Mangino who would take this job. Phil Fulmer? Remember, that the top high schools in Kansas do not have the same level of talent than Class 2A teams do in Texas. Mangino has done a great job here at KU - sorry that this year has been a down year - but you have to give him another year before letting him go. Poke or not. If they can beat UT or Mizzou, than a chance for 3 straight bowl games will cover a lot of sins.

Lance Hobson 5 years, 1 month ago

This season has become a complete train wreck. What in the world happened? It all started with that CU game that we lost on a penalty.

We've always known Mangino has a temper, big deal. Remember when he went after the refs at Lawrence High after his son's football game. Good times.

Billy Derringer 5 years, 1 month ago

hawkandtigerfan---- WHY DONT U LEAVE TOWN WITH MM--WHAT WAS U THE TEACHERS PET, PICK ME ILL GRADE THE PAPERS--PICK ME --JONNY SUCK HIS TOUNGE OUT AT ME MISS DAVIS--O THATS RIGHT THIS IS GRAMMER 101 MY BAD I WILL SIT AT THE FRONT OF THE ROOM NEXT TIME--U MY FRIEND ARE A DONKEY

Christopher Johnson 5 years, 1 month ago

OK, that's fine. I guess the best way to cover up for shortcomings and stupidity is to bash people who actually care about doing things well. BTW grammar isn't rocket science and neither is writing a complete sentence. I'm no try hard genius like you make me out to be. Thanks for the suggestion. I like pretending I'm a genius. Hahaha. Nonetheless, unlike you, I managed to pass high school and do a little more with my life. I guess that was too tough for you or you had a school that just wanted to push you through. It's typical for an idiot or underachiever to bash someone more articulate. That's typical America. I'm just trying to give you some advice. People are more likely to listen to your opinions if you don't sound like a 3rd grader. Think about it. Just trying to help, but I'm guessing you've probably never took anybody up on their offer to help you. If you'd have taken the help, maybe you would actually be able to communicate effectively in English . . . obviously your primary language. But it's hard, I know . . . poor you. The rest of society will try to make you feel better about yourself. I won't.

Hank Cross 5 years, 1 month ago

If he remains as HC for UT AND the team plays hard (even in a loss), then he might have a chance to save his job. If it's obvious that the team has quit on him, then he's done.

Blake Post 5 years, 1 month ago

I see a lot of stupid on here. Wildcats and tigers want OUR coach to go. they are pretending to be jayhawks. Go home, pretenders. This issue has nothing to do with wins/losses Mangino cannot comment on this until it is done. Maybe not even then. How stupid to suggest he could or should.

When it comes to taking responsibility, he has at all times done so for team performance.

If there is abuse, I think we know what will happen, but I have never seen so many disloyal fools jumping ship so fast... except for tigers/wildcats feigning as jayhawks jumping ship.

I am not fooled.

KUFOOTBALLMOM 5 years, 1 month ago

Wake up people....this has been swept under the rug long enough. There are many others who have been Mangino's "long suffering" players. Believe me, it involved more than a poke in the chest.