Originally published November 17, 2009 at 09:40a.m., updated November 17, 2009 at 09:45p.m.

KU AD Perkins meets with football players over concerns about coach Mark Mangino

KU linebacker Arist Wright complained that Mangino poked him in the chest

Kansas coach Mark Mangino and the Jayhawks take to the field before the Kansas and Kansas State game on Saturday, Nov. 7, 2009 in Manhattan.

Mark Mangino press conference, Tuesday, Nov. 17, 2009

In his weekly press conference, Coach Mark Mangino discusses the Nebraska game, the upcoming game against Texas, and an investigation the athletic department is conducting.

Kansas University athletic director Lew Perkins met Monday night with the school's football players to discuss concerns about football coach Mark Mangino brought to his attention by one of the current players and others with ties to the football program.

Arist Wright, a senior linebacker, was the player who first went to Perkins, and complained that Mangino poked him in the chest in the days leading up to KU's game at Colorado.

"I can confirm an internal review is under way," Perkins said in a quote released by the school. "It involves a personnel matter, and as a result, is confidential. It would be inappropriate for me to provide further information right now."

Mangino said he met with Perkins for 10 to 15 minutes before the athletic director met with players, but wasn't present for Perkins' meeting with the players.

"If you want to know what was said, I'm not disclosing it. He's the one who's disclosing information about it, I'm not," Mangino said.

In their eighth year under Mangino, the Jayhawks (5-5) take a five-game losing streak into this week's contest against Texas.

Check back to KUsports.com for more information on this story.

Comments

Layne Pierce 5 years, 1 month ago

I hope this is only the 1st of reviews of this program. Something is wrong and fishy in regards to the overall lack of discipline and morale of this program. Ask yourself about the effort you have been seeing. At the end of the Nebraska game, the defense basically just quit, when pride alone should have prevented the last running touchdown.

Maybe, just maybe there is more to this than meets the eye. Our margin for lack of concentration and absolute effort is razor fine. Anything else for KU means disaster.

Joseph Kuebel 5 years, 1 month ago

they wouldn't have come out with an article saying that a further announcement is underway regarding and internal investigation surrounding mangino...and NEBHAWK77 says : "Maybe, just maybe there is more to this than meets the eye"? ARE YOU SERIOUS DUDE? Obviously Mangino did something we don't know that is more than meets the eye hence them saying stay tuned for a further update...Duh! Maybe, just maybe? are you seriously that smart (sarcasm)?

DocBean 5 years, 1 month ago

What the heck?

Not the type of news you want to hear the week you're going into a game against a Championship contender.

Kyle Cornish 5 years, 1 month ago

The fact that Lew even confirmed this, then made comments on it, make this sound like it could be ugly.

nobody1793 5 years, 1 month ago

Maybe Mangino has secretly accepted an offer from Notre Dame.

Appoggiatura 5 years, 1 month ago

I agree, the fecal matter may be hitting the fan. Something doesn't seem right. This could sadly mark the beginning of the end.

jayhawkox 5 years, 1 month ago

UNIKU, if we're gonna start speculating on who we go after if mangino's getting the axe, let me be first to suggest Turner Gill at Buffalo. Love what he's done there and seems like a guy who can really rally a team and take a program to another level.

5 years, 1 month ago

Papa Lew wants to be able to sell those luxury Gridiron Club seats, and a 5-game (potentially 7-game) losing streak along with any major internal fiascos could make it tough to do so. He is going to want the ship righted pronto.

Scott Smetana 5 years, 1 month ago

Interesting, but this should not be in the news. We don't want any 'junk' on ESPN. Besides, this sounds like an internal matter anyways.

Appoggiatura 5 years, 1 month ago

Pikes, we won't be on ESPN, unless Tebow transfers to KU...

Kyle Helmer 5 years, 1 month ago

jayhawkox-One problem with Turner Gill....he has success at KU, Psycho Bo starts to stumble at Nebraska...guess who comes calling? Other than that, I would LOVE to have him as our coach.

jwaprx 5 years, 1 month ago

Give me Gary Patterson at TCU. Tough, Defensive minded coach with Kansas connections. I know he went to K-State, but is uncle Harold Patterson is one of the greatest KU multi-sport athletes of all-time. Just ask Bill Mayer. He was around back then!

jahawkdave 5 years, 1 month ago

Ox have you seen Turner's record this year? 3-7 overall and 1-5 MAC conf. record. He had turned the program around but struggling big time this year.

DallasHawk 5 years, 1 month ago

More ugly headlines... If we're 7-3 right now this wouldn't even be printed!

Brian Skelly 5 years, 1 month ago

I dont think this leaks if its insignificant. Thats my guess, but who knows.

Jaminrawk 5 years, 1 month ago

Gary Patterson wouldn't leave TCU for KU. He's turned down better jobs already, unfortunately. We shouldn't speculate too much until more comes out.

suttonku 5 years, 1 month ago

Trouble in paradise? I dont think the review is over the 5 game losing streak because I truly do not believe that Mangino will be fired at the end of the season...Maybe they are going to fire the coordinators? I think that's more of a hope for me...This is obviously something going on off the field for HCMM.

jwaprx 5 years, 1 month ago

Think Patterson might want to move to a BCS school after he gets ripped by the system this year? Unless another opening at a better BCS school comes up, I think he would have to consider it. Granted things are only easier in Texas, but who wouldn't consider going to a major conference when you have had that kind of success in the mountain west?

knighthawk 5 years, 1 month ago

There is definitely discontent among the players. When things go wrong, players lose confidence in their coaches and vice versa. There is a fine line between success and 1 and 5 in the big 12. I get the feeling most KU fans feel too many games were lost at the coaching level, especially K-State. Let's hope Lou gets to the bottom of things. I have confidence he will and react accordingly without hestitation. Remember Lou did not hire MM.

barackchalkjhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

No need to speculate, since most of this is speculation anyway. As far as Patterson's concerned, I get the sense he's growing frustrated coaching in a conference where you have to lobby and hire a PR firm to get you into a BCS bowl game. He'll continue to miss out on the prize coaching at TCU as long as the current system is in place.

knighthawk 5 years, 1 month ago

Lew is the proper spelling not Lou. My fault

KU 5 years, 1 month ago

Nothing to see here......move along. One of the players just noticed that Coach is a little overweight and brought it to Lew's attention. They are planning a team "intervention".

Fred Davis 5 years, 1 month ago

It's real simple - The Lew wants to win, Now. And after this disaster of a season, Mangino is who we thought he was - a decent coach who revived a program and took it as far as he could. They can call it whatever they want, an inquiry, investigation, but it's just window-dressing to get ready for what I predicted a few weeks ago - the end of Mark Mangino here at Kansas. The Lew realizes he can't keep Mangino if this program is going to compete year in and year out, and thus, thanks coach for what you've done, and we wish you the best of luck at your next stop. Now the question turns to, who is going to be the next coach at KU? If I had to guess, I'm throwing out the name Tommy Tuberville... But rest assured, The Lew will get somebody good.

DallasHawk 5 years, 1 month ago

Please stop talking about Patterson. I would rather wake up with my head sewn to the carpet than have a kstater as a head coach!!

KU 5 years, 1 month ago

Of course you can get somebody good when you're willing to shell out 3 mil per year. Lots off great coaches at lesser programs would listen to Lew. Top notch facilities; excellent school; great conference; an athletics director that gives coaches what they need to be successful.......

gamblinggringo 5 years, 1 month ago

Oh, hell. Just a couple of months ago, I finally bought one of those "Mark Mangino: The Man, The Myth, The Legend" T-shirts. Looks like it may become a collector's item.

Eric TheCapn 5 years, 1 month ago

I bet the players saw this photo and thought Mangino looked like a corpse, told Lew... It's OK guys, the photo's just really, really blue.

kstrebor 5 years, 1 month ago

I hope nothing comes of all this. But if the deal goes down I feel we should keep it in house and promote Clint Bowen. This guy is a friggin' miracle worker, he has taken our defence to the next level. We used to get beat by a lot more then we do now.

KU 5 years, 1 month ago

kstebor.....God, I hope you are kidding.

Jaminrawk 5 years, 1 month ago

It's not his health. Lew said it was a "personnel issue" brought to his attention by a player. Not "health", "personnel". That could be a lot of things.

suttonku 5 years, 1 month ago

Im not so sure that players have lost confidence in MM. I think it's very possible that the players dont want MM to be fired and they want to be reassured that their coach is coming back. Why would a player go to an AD and as him to fire the coach? That just doesnt make any sense...A player goes to an AD to ask if the coach will not be fired? Players usually play for their coach and these players will fight for MM because of everything he has done for them and the program. These players like playing for MM.

I can say that I dont want MM to be fired because yes this year was a huge disappointment but we are also only 2 years removed from an Orange Bowl victory and Im willing to give him at least another year or two to turn it around again...Look, before MM we had done absolutely nothing in football since the 1960s...I think it's time to clean house with some of the coaches though. Time to get rid of Bowen and it's really time to get rid of Wariner. I know that some of you will defend Wariner for whatever reason but his offense is not getting it done this season. I started to notice it even when we were putting up good numbers. Theres no creativity this season. Meier has only thrown 2 passes this season and I think there is a ton you can do with a guy like Meier in an offense and I dont feel we have done that this season. And look what we did at RB this season...When Sharp was out Opurum was the leading rusher in the big 12 and a great blivker in the backfield...When Sharp comes back we hardly give the ball to the big 12s leading rusher? are you kidding me? Opurum has outplayed Sharp this season and he deserved to get more carries this season. I am sick and tired of watching the littlest guy on the field run up the middle when you have a 235 pound bruiser on the sidelines.

jayhawkox 5 years, 1 month ago

I know buffalo has struggled this year but remember three wins for that team three years ago would have been a miracle. We also need to remember that KU football doesn't have he brand name allure for coaches that KU basketball does and it may not be so easy to sell a more established coach on a half done rebuilding job. I think Gill is a good mix of ability and stature for where we want to go next and who we can feasibl go after now, assuming of course that mangino doesn't make it through the off season. But neither of our current coordinators has done anything to make me hinknthey deserve a promotion. The defense ony got better after Bowen got training wheels and I'm not impressed with the o.

Tribehawk 5 years, 1 month ago

It would make some sense to promote from within if we wanted to keep our current recruits. I believe we have a handful of 4-stars who have verbally committed. But I don't see any of our coordinators as being HC material. If HCMM is out, Lew will want to make a splashy hire. Probably someone with big connections to TX to keep our pipeline open down there.

jahawkdave 5 years, 1 month ago

My feeling's this is MM's last year:

The Kansas City Star More News LAWRENCE | Current Kansas football players met with KU athletic director Lew Perkins on Monday night to discuss concerns about KU coach Mark Mangino stemming from a recent incident involving Mangino and a player, a source told The Star.

The source said players at the meeting, at which Mangino was not present, were invited to bring forward information in front of a formal panel. The source said there is an organized group of former players’ parents ready to air their concerns about Mangino as well.

Mangino’s Jayhawks are in the midst of a disastrous stretch on the field, having lost five straight games after starting the season 5-0. KU must win against Texas or Missouri to secure a bowl berth. Kansas was predicted by many to win its first outright Big 12 North title this year.

suttonku 5 years, 1 month ago

kstrebor,

Plain and simple, not gonna happen. In fact I believe Bowen will be gone after this season. MM has to make a change to make fans happy and I think Wariner and Bowen are both gone after the season. If not then i think you will have several unhappy football fans. I am willing to give MM time but not if Wariner and Bowen are still coaching at KU. The defense has been better because Mangino spent a ton of time with them and changed their schemes that Bowen came up with! and once MM left the offense then the offense became crap!

Case and point, we need to fire both coordinators.

Jhawk59 5 years, 1 month ago

Did he physically do something to a player? I don't really get what this meeting could be about.

suttonku 5 years, 1 month ago

jahawkdave,

Thanks for that piece...Im in Nebraska so I dont get a lot of the news that comes out of Lawrence. Hmm sounds like there has been issues for a while and it sounds like former players' parents are ready to be whistle blowers...I hope it's nothing too big.

You don't want to speculate but I hope that MM didnt hit any of his players or anything like that.

rolo2383 5 years, 1 month ago

I don't think Turner Gill would be the right choice only b/c of the players we have compared to the type of offense he wants to run. We are built to throw the ball down the field more than I think he would want to.

If Stoops leaves OU I think they go after Patterson. I would love to have him here but not sure that would happen.

I would also love us to go after Brian Kelly from Cincy.

Skip Holtz might be the right fit. He has ties to Lew from UConn and he's a good coach.

LakeShawnee 5 years, 1 month ago

Ex-Tampa Bay Bucs coach Gruden? Despite his recent contract extension for ESPN?

mahkmood 5 years, 1 month ago

A private meeting with the team about concerns about the current coach during the season. I can only speculate that this is something similiar to the Bob Knight ordeal in Indiana. Something Mangino did that is not "politically correct" that the school wants to pull out of their "let's can the coach while we have a chance" bag. Something that the school would keep under wraps until after the season if the team is 8-2 instead of 5-5. Otherwise, to address this issue now, instead of after the season would be completely out of line. To have a private meeting with the players about the head coach is a recipe for mutiny and should never be done during the season if at all possible (unless you WANT a reason to fire the coach). Hopefully I'm wrong with my speculations because if the school wants to fire Mangino they could go about it much more professionally than this (but to quote Mangino after the UT loss in '04, it may be all about "dollar signs")

Tribehawk 5 years, 1 month ago

This could all be related to HCMM's penchant for throwing players under the bus. Mike Rivera last year, Reesing this year. Who knows who else has been trampled behind the scenes.

I have to admit that I thought it was way too premature to think that HCMM would get the axe after this season, but the more I think about it, the more sense it makes. Our schedule is much easier next season--the perfect time to break in a new coach and a new system and still make it to a bowl. We have a solid O-line and running back, and we also have a lot of options for QB next year, depending on what kind of offense a new HC might want.

Jaminrawk 5 years, 1 month ago

Brent Venables might be a good choice too. He is a great recruiter and has been passed over TWICE by KSU. You know he would like to prove them wrong given the chance. Plus, he is an in-state guy. Rivalries mean zilch when it comes to getting a job.

jakzhumans 5 years, 1 month ago

I'd like to see any of the following in the running, in no particular order:

Al Golden from Temple Butch Jones from Central Michigan Kevin Sumlin from Houston

suttonku 5 years, 1 month ago

rolo2383,

I think it would have to be a hire that gets players excited. I dont think Patterson is coming to KU and I highly doubt that Brian Kelly would want to go backwards and coach a team with a lot less talent than the team he has now. Kelly will probably end up at a big BCS school like OU. Now if Stoops leaves OU I would hope we would try to bring him in here but I know he wont because he is interested in taking over Notre Dame. This is all assuming that MM gets fired which I hope is not the case.

jayhawkox 5 years, 1 month ago

Rolo, I think skip holtz would be a great hire too. I'm sure Lew will make the right choice for KU.

orbiter 5 years, 1 month ago

"Why would a player go to an AD and as him to fire the coach? That just doesnt make any sense...A player goes to an AD to ask if the coach will not be fired? Players usually play for their coach and these players will fight for MM because of everything he has done for them and the program. These players like playing for MM."

--First, the article does not say that players asked him to be fired. Second, your comment that "Players usually play for their coach and these players will fight for MM because of everything he has done for them and the program" is just plain wrong on so many levels. You are seeing MM like he is basketball coach--closely involved with his players, sort of a father figure. A head football coach in college is more an CEO/overlord than a second father. And specifically with MM=you would be hard pressed to find any player that even likes the idea of him, let alone fight to the death for him.

TexasJayhawk78 5 years, 1 month ago

Leave the man alone! Does anyone remember that we did not have a football program a few years ago? I was present at the KU CU game when Todd had his red shirt pulled by Mangino. You could sit or stand anywhere in the stadium that day as there were less that 20,000 on hand to watch.

There was Not much of an atmosphere, Not much tailgating, Not much enthusiasm, only a lot of grumbling people making the not so supportive comment that basketball season was just around the corner. Oh, yes and NOT much money coming in to the University or Lawrence. I wish we could get a spreadsheet with the tally on how much revenue has changed concerning, ticket sales, transportation, shopping at the University and Lawrence, eating establishments, hotels and motels, and the number of jobs created. Oh, yes, how about the online sales of KU stuff?

Everyone wants to have a season like 2007 over and over again. You would figure since we have most of the play makers back it should be an easy task. There is just one thing to keep in mind, in 2007 WE HAD NO INJURIES until week 12 of the season! Remember what happened then?

suttonku 5 years, 1 month ago

This is all assuming that MM will be fired! I think we need facts before we start naming all these coaches that are the right fit for KU...I trust in the decision making of Lew Perkins and if he has to fire MM then I trust it was the right decision and who he hires I trust will be the right decision as well. Let's wait until we hear what happened before we start passing judgment.

niemoth 5 years, 1 month ago

kstrebor, Wow, I also hope you are kidding? Even at 3rd and 10, I feel like our opponents will get a first down. They probably do at least half the time. When our defense can't stop a Nebraska offense (who went 7 quarters with like 7 first downs recently) at the end of the game when you know a run is coming, then our defense has issues.

suttonku 5 years, 1 month ago

orbiter,

They hate the idea of him? You're just plain wrong. If the players hated the idea of him then why would any of them come to play for him? How does he and Todd Reesing have a good relationship?

Players love playing for a head coach that lets the best players play. At most programs if youre a freshman then you will not play. At KU it's all about how you play in practice. And to say that a head coach does not have a relationship with his players is stupid.

Scott Perlmutter 5 years, 1 month ago

Possible replacements for Mangino if he is fired:

Tommy Tuberville Brian Kelly (Cincy) Chris Petersen (Boise State) Gary Patterson (TCU) Jim Grobe (Wake Forest) Tom O'Brien (NC State, formerly Boston College) Charlie Strong (Florida) Tim Murphy (Harvard) Charlie Weis (Notre Dame) Norm Chow (NFL, TItans) Paul Johnson (Navy)

Bud Stagg 5 years, 1 month ago

Nolan Cromwell is the hire. He has had great NFL success (a few superbowl rings?)and has done well at A&M this year. Many of the rich alumni were around when he played here. They would support him and then pour their money into the grid iron club with the Ransom Rambler at the helm.

jayhawkr34 5 years, 1 month ago

I have an inside source says its health related, strictly health related.

goshenjhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

Some of you folks are just pitiful! You are ready to throw Mark Mangino right under the bus with no idea what this situation is about. This is "only" the man who brought the KU program out of the depths of the Terry Allen created stink pit to an Orange bowl win a scant 2 years ago. And you have the gall to already be discussing his replacement?! Look, if he has done something seriously wrong with the players or something like that, there will be plenty of time to call for his head. But until then, this man deserves a bit of respect and the benefit of the doubt.

theprogram 5 years, 1 month ago

i think the next coach should be Bill Callahan.

andreatom 5 years, 1 month ago

Poster on the football message board a week or so ago claimed DJ Beshears had taken a chewing out from MM that was overboard. Claimed he has left the football program. I didn't see him play at all against Nebraska so it could be true.

jakzhumans 5 years, 1 month ago

goshenjhawk - Our coach is a 400-pound man under whose watch the program has already been placed on probation once, is now suffering through an incredibly disappointing season, and has some of his players approaching the AD with an issue that has resulting in some sort of internal investigation. There are about four different issues in that sentence, any one of which would justify the creation of a list of suitable replacements. Even if NONE of those issues existed, any AD worth with salary (and I believe Lew is) should always have a list of possible replacements up-to-date and ready to use if necessary. Speculating about who could/should be on that list doesn't involve any "gall".

Ryan Shelton 5 years, 1 month ago

I agree 100% with goshenjhawk. Leave the man alone. He has done great things. If he were such a person as to get on this site and read some of these rediculous comments, he would certainly be disappointed at the lack of faith.

jahawkdave 5 years, 1 month ago

Interesting twitter between JocCrawford and KUsportscaster. Just some behind the scenes insight that the players are tired of MM's treatment of them. Could be sour grapes by JC, who knows?, but if somewhat true the team has given up on following or respecting MM. (If you don't twitter this maybe hard to make out.)

JocCrawford tweet: @KUSports what!!!!!!!'n

Reply: @JocCrawford I hear its bout players' frustrations w/ Gino. It would fall right in line w/what you were sayin the other day.

JocCrawford tweet: @kusportscaster if this is true I think it is fair for players to have the opportunity to speak out.we legally sign the next 4-5 yrs of our lives away to get an education and to play football, no need for us to be disrespected,mistreated,or talked dwn on.

JocCrawford tweet: @kusportscaster. dnt get me wrong I'm not saying it's all fun and games, football is serious to us all, but dnt take the love we have for the game from us

Reply @JocCrawford I saw you say Jake almost quit last yr. Were there ANY players he didnt talk down to? Is that why you left?

JocCrawford tweet: @kusportscaster works. I'm not trying to stir up anything.but let's just say things aren't good when your starters don't want to play for u

JocCrawford tweet: @kusportscaster that's an obvious answer there sir. I would love to speak out on the reason I really left, but I know how the messages board

Reply @JocCrawford Understandable. Best to not say too much. Feel free to DM if you want.

jhokfan 5 years, 1 month ago

I don't think the meeting is about Mangino's coaching. Probably has something to to with an incident during practice. Maybe Mark had a Bobby Knight type moment with a player. In spite of a 5 game losing streak I don't think he is going to lose his job. These types of discussions usually take place in the off season.

jahawkdave 5 years, 1 month ago

I'm not putting any credence in that, just thought it was interesting from a former player's perspective, not that he played much.

Steve Brown 5 years, 1 month ago

It's health related. Okay, when he doesn't work here he will need Cobra Insurance.

The last few weeks some of us noted that some players don't seem to be playing for him with same intensity & heart as last year. Some of you called us conspiracy lunatics.

A few weeks ago some of us said that with this level of play we won't win again. You called us fair weather fans.

Some of us have been offering constructive frustrated critism on all aspects of predictible plays, execution, time clock management & who was getting sig. minutes on the field. Some of you called us turncoats.

Some of us have expressed dismay at our cellar record this year and a couple of you said the program was in 'fine shape'.

The fat lady is singing in the rain and a new day is dawning for next year. Thanks for the memories.

sactownhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

sutton,

I dont know where you have this idea that every player loves MM. Actually, a lot of players hate him because he is a dick to them in practice. A lot of players arent even recruited by MM, they are recruited by the assistant coaches. The players do not like MM, i appreciate everything he has done for our program, but when it comes down to it, he has taken us as far as he can take us.

Dyrk Dugan 5 years, 1 month ago

the speculation is a bit nuts right now .....and this talk of a new coach is way too premature.

However, this season has been disappointing for sure...and i always thought there was something missing from this team. and so maybe all of this is connected...i don't know.

MM has done a great job here...and if he would get fired of some inappropriate interactions with player(s),...along with this underachieving season....that would be sad. he's had a pretty darn good career so far.....basically self made. he paid his dues for sure.

hopefully, the next 24 to 48 hours we'll get word on what this is truly about. and then we'll take it from there.

grandpa 5 years, 1 month ago

My prediction is that everyone posting on this board is in for a big suprise within the next few days.!!

goshenjhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

jakzhumans, and what exactly does the fact that our coach weighs 400 pounds have to do with anything? I could care less if he looks like the geico caveman and weighs 500 pounds. As long as he represents the program with class and the program is gettin better under his direction, it shouldn't matter to any fan. With the facts we have so far he is still meeting that criteria. All I'm saying is wait for facts before you jump to judgement, and your contempt for his weight is no grounds for dismissal.

Joe Baker 5 years, 1 month ago

I was with you sutton until the kstate game. My mind went open to ideas. I hate to see anyone in this position, but decisions have to be made. Timing is also an issue. If you're going to do it, this is a good time because most of your players are still young and your seniors are gone.

It would be pointless for the seniors to have much say b/c they're gone. I don't care either way ultimately. I could see both arguments to keep and to fire him. I say give him another year, but then a new coach would have too many upper classmen.

So...Lew will do what's right for the program. Either way, we'll have a lot of work to do. The question is, do we do it with or without ManG?

ginger2015 5 years, 1 month ago

I'm with you goshen. The people that are calling for MM head and trying to name his replacement are the same ones who were kissing his (rather broad) backside just a scant three months ago.

Bob Zielinski 5 years, 1 month ago

not enough time to read all of the above posts but unless mangino did something which could land the school in trouble he is not going anywhere. if the players are blaming the coaching staff and mangino for their often sorry play they should not be playing division one football for KU in the first place.

mangino is not going anywhere, we will not be able to get a better or even on par coach with what mangino has to offer. gary patterson is not going to consider KU. mangino is a great coach, sorry the players did not perform on the field this season. i could see moving on to another defensive coordinator and transitioning the offense to something a little more fluid and an attack which gets the run game out of neutral but there is no reason to even consider getting rid of mangino. he can do the job, he has turned this program around, he has taken us to the Orange Bowl. people need to relax and gear up for basketball season.

jhokfan 5 years, 1 month ago

Since everyone else is speculating on coaches here’s my two cents.

Nolan Cromwell might be a good choice as coach but he doesn’t have that much experience at the upper level. He was a special teams coach at Green Bay and a receivers coach at Seattle. This is his first year as a coordinator. What makes him appealing is we wouldn’t have to worry about him leaving for another program if he succeeds. Kind of a modern day version of Fambrough. KU is a stepping stone, not a destination. All the previously mentioned coaches will bolt as soon as a better position becomes available.

If it was my decision I’d stick with Mark.

68fbrd 5 years, 1 month ago

KU's food budget was AXED and BF told the team that they would have to cut back on game meals, 'cause he would not.

troutsee 5 years, 1 month ago

jakzhumans, agree. I don't believe the players are behind MM. If you get in MMs dog house, you are there forever unless you are one of his favorites. This team has not been well-coached. This sounds like the players are very concerned with the way the season has gone. I have said before, MM has lost this team. If we get blown out by TU and lose to MU, he's gone. It's all about money, season tickets, fan expectations, and filling the stadium. Lew is sensitive to those basic economic realities. The fan base for KU FB is very fragile. I have already had several people contact me to see if I want their MU tickets not knowing that I have 15 tickets for my family to the MU game. I will be at the MU game. But public sentiment has turned. Hell, I was surrounded by NU fans in our stadium....on the 40 yard line for heaven's sake.

As for replacements, yeah Patterson would be a huge "get" as would Kelly but the liklihood of getting either is slim unless we throw buckets of money at them. Nolan Cromwell has strong KU ties and an excellent vitae. Turner Gill is not the guy. Paul Johnson is not at Navy (he is the very successful coach of GT and running an awesome wishbone, something Cromwell is very versed in). Can you imagine Pick as a wishbone QB with Opurum as the dive back.

68fbrd 5 years, 1 month ago

Get on the wrong side of Perkins, and 'you're outta here'. Ask Gene Smithson.

Steve Brown 5 years, 1 month ago

bobsarobot: "need to relax and gear up for BB season."

Fine, yet what about gearing up for something nice like the Cotton Bowl or the Big 12 Championship game in Dallas, that would have been pleasant.

when the AD meets w. players sans coach it is over. or at least the beginning of the end.

next week he will resign in grace and with our thanks for taking us this far.

Texas 27 Kansas 24 and he'll be comfortable with our improved play.

Rivethead 5 years, 1 month ago

It took Coach Beamer 22 years to win a BCS bowl game. It took him 7 years just to get Va Tech to a bowl game (which they lost). And that was in an easier conference.

It takes time to build a program, especially when it has little history of success (once again, see Va Tech).

Mangino is still in the infancy of building this program. 2007 was an anomoly that we should all be thankful for. The stars aligned.

But from the sounds of it, many of you people are just happy with starting all over.

That #6 ranking we have for 2010 recruiting? If Mangino leaves you can kiss that goodbye (example: "Unless something happens with Coach Mangino, I'm solid on my verbal to Kansas" - Geneo Grissom).

Jeezus. Once again, I read some of these comments and wonder if we really DESERVE a good football program.......

stravinsky 5 years, 1 month ago

To paraphrase something a player I know said last year, if you are one of the stars, you can do no wrong, but if you aren't you'll be treated like dirt. Obviously, I have no personal experience, and I'd like to think that MM can continue to be the miracle worker we thought he was, but we'll have to see how things pan out.

Mutt, I think I would rather end my own life than see Charlie Weis even considered to be the coach of KU. The hiring of Charlie Weis would be undeniable proof that God does not love kansans.

I think I would have to wrap myself in gasoline soaked football jerseys and light myself on fire in the lawn in front of Allen Fieldhouse to accurately depict the level of disapproval / the future of KU football were Weis to be named coach.

I'd rather not do that. It would be a rather painful way to go. Possibly not as painful as watching Weis ruin another football team.

jahawkdave 5 years, 1 month ago

I think MM has done an average job at best. I appreciate what he has done, brining KU FB up a few notches but look at his overall record, conf. record. The stars and schedule aligned for us in 2007 and that was a fantastic year.

Players do have to make the plays, but they need to be coached up and put in a postion to succeed. Playing new positions every week, starting then sitting then starting again. We are playing musical depth chart this season, and in the past.

Can MM truly evaluate his players? I'm not sure. Last year Sharp is our best running back but he does not start until a desperation move versus ISU. This year Opurum mysteriously finds the bench after a 9 touchdown start.

All these things floating around about what an a hole he is to assts. and players. You can get by with that when you win, but not when you lose and lose and lose and lose and lose (was that 5?) Our record is an embarassment for the talent we have, this meeting with Lew is an embarrasment. Time to move on.

beebe1 5 years, 1 month ago

Can't understand why so many people zero in on MM. He has done very well -- so far, except the major Defense and Special Teams problems that started with Bowen last year. Offense was OK -- I think that Reesing's health cut into the options that were available -- I don't think Reesing could throw down the field with muscle strain problems, and we had no one to turn to.

What bugs me is that MM didn't tumble to the fact that he gave too much authority to a Kansas guy when he hadn't learned much about Defense in maybe 10 years. There don't seem to be a lot of Defensive leaders -- just a few. Been watching Cinti pros -- they are good. Some of them are tumbling to the fact that others sort of have the secret. It looked to me that Bengals Defense was great till they had to call a zone defense due to sending extra pass rushers. If they got the QB they were golden, and if they didn't they had to start over at 1st and ten.

Kelley at Cinti U is a real leader in Defense. It isn't just his talented players -- they know how to use them. No way Kelly could be hired except as Head Coach; but he is only making half of what MM makes. With KU facilities and talent, he might be approachable.

But, I suspect that the real problem with the coaching is Bowen. He's a good recruiter. Let him keep recruiting, and let's get a really true expert in Defense as the Coordinator. I think the Offensive Coordinator will do just fine next year with a healthy QB and the options increased back to where they were.;

KU 5 years, 1 month ago

sactownhawk says: "I dont know where you have this idea that every player loves MM. Actually, a lot of players hate him because he is a dick to them in practice."

Newsflash for ya, pal: football coaches are always dicks at practice and they SHOULD be. Did you ever play the game? It's not for the faint of heart or those who can't take a little manly criticism.

For that matter, do you not think Bill Self is a dick at practice? Do you have any idea how many times he has kicked kids out of practice because they don't work hard enough? I'll defend him.....and Mangino.....for demanding the most out of their players. That's what they get paid to do. Yes, they are dicks while they do it. When you're winning, that's OK. When you start losing, you have kids who can't take it.

kickazzkurtz 5 years, 1 month ago

Rivethead....where do you see that we have the #6 recruiting class for 2010? Rivals.com doesn't even have us in the top 25.

IowaJayhawker 5 years, 1 month ago

RIVETHEAD, What #6 recruiting class? the leading site for recruiting news (RIVALS) doesnt even have us in the Top 25 classes for 2010.

jakzhumans 5 years, 1 month ago

goshenjhawk - You missed my point entirely. I'm not calling for Mangino's head, and I don't have contempt of any sort for his weight. But you seem to think it's irresponsible to start thinking of possible replacements for Mangino and I think just the opposite. It would be irresponsible for Perkins NOT to have a list of possible replacements already in hand, one that is regularly updated, and I see no harm in speculating on who could/should be on that list. That would be the case whether Mangino was wildly successful and therefore a target for other schools to hire, or wildly unsuccessful and therefore a candidate to be fired. It would be the case whether he weighed 800 pounds or 175, because it's simply prudent management to have a succession plan in place in case it's needed. Mangino's weight is a factor solely because it makes the need for such a list more likely than with other coaches, because people of his size, sadly, tend to fact more incapacitating health problems and a higher risk of early death. Sorry if that cold hard fact upsets you, but I want an AD who acknowledges those kinds of facts and plans for them.

Steve Brown 5 years, 1 month ago

KU "when you are winning it's okay when you start losing you have kids who can't take it.'

who recruited this sissy kids?

Lew is very smart cookie and this is all going to be much improved real soon.

not_important 5 years, 1 month ago

For all of you who think Patterson would be an option, get real. I'm convinced that the Patterson to K-State rumor was true, but somebody at the Ag school blew it and he walked. Snyder's return is a short-term patch that enables Patterson to save face and then will take the K-State job in 2-3 years when Snyder steps aside saying he is too "tired" to continue the pace of being a head coach.

Mutt627, just fyi, Paul Johnson is in his second year at Ga Tech.

Cromwell might be okay and I like the Norm Chow suggestion. Maybe Rich Rodriguez will give us a look when he's shown the door at Michigan?

IowaJayhawker 5 years, 1 month ago

Also, Mangino being an upstanding guy and great ambassador? think again, yeah he has been at the helm for a few big wins here, but generally he is not a good person. He treats his players poorly and he treats his assistant coaches poorly too.

RockiesJayhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

A guy by the name of Weis might be available...has some NFL credentials, I'm told.

grandpa 5 years, 1 month ago

Big things will be in the news within the next few days.!! Stay tuned!!

jcsmith 5 years, 1 month ago

To squash any rumors, A group of parents and players/former players are coming forth about the verbal abuse players have recieved from Coach Mangino. They have asked that he be relieved of his duties and an assistant coach take over the reigns immediately.

brutus53 5 years, 1 month ago

Mangino has done a great job turning this program into a real program. Players might not always like their coach, but that rarely has any real bearing on players sticking around. My guess is there will be changes in the coaching staff, especially at DC and special teams. If there is a change with Mangino, I look for an established and successful head coach. That would certainly rule out Turner Gil. He will be a good coach someday, but he has to prove himself.

goshenjhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

Jakzhumans, I understand better where you are coming from now. You make good points, and I am aware of the fact that Mangino's weight does put him at risk for health issues. The point I will continue to differ with you on is whether it is appropriate for fans to be speculating on his replacement. I agree with you that as head of the athletic department Lew should have some names in mind as possible replacements. However, you and I are not the head of the athletic department, and I still maintain it is disrespectful and ungrateful for us to be immediately speculating on replacements at first hint of trouble. In any case, Rock Chalk Jayhawk, and here's to the continued success of the KU football program!

kugrad93 5 years, 1 month ago

Mangino has undoubtedly improved the product on the field compared to the Terry Allen era, which has made it easier for the AD to raise funds and improve facilities. However, I'm amused by the posters on here who act like Mangino should get a free pass regardless of what might have sparked this review. Someone mentioned his "greatness." Well, 2007 was great, but truth be told this program is mediocre. In eight years, Mangino is 4-19 against the Big 12 South, including a combined 0-11 against OU, Texas and Tech. He's 19-20 against the Big 12 North, including 2-6 against Nebraska and 1-4 against Bill Snyder. He has winning records against TWO of 11 conference opponents: Iowa State (6-2) and Missouri (4-3). In road games (not counting neutral site contests), KU is 10-27 under Mangino. There also was NCAA probation and allegations of academic fraud on Mangino's watch. Things are better than they were under Terry Allen, but is this guy really irreplaceable?

hawkone 5 years, 1 month ago

Mangino built this program and that pretty building and practice feild next to the stadium, yet I do not see alot of gratitude anywhere on this post. I think everyone forgets the success that Mangino has had at every school he has been part of; including the University of Kansas. Sure 2007 felt great but it was a season that everything clicked perfectly as well as KU playing on the soft side of the schedule with KSU and Nebraska also having a dismal year. We are still building a program and Mangino does not need to turn it around. This year look a heck of alot like 2006 where we lost 4 of the 5 games either in 4th qtr or OT.

We are a better team that we look by our record just like we were in 2006. We just need to make some adjustments and catch some breaks and keep plugging.

And I am sorry but having a player control your program because his feelings were hurt by a couch reeks of Mizzou.

jhokfan 5 years, 1 month ago

not_important:

I hope you're wrong about Patterson. With his Texas connections he'll do better than Snyder. My hope is that a big time coaching job opens up within the next couple of years that he can't turn down. Notre Dame should be in the market soon.

grandpa 5 years, 1 month ago

Iowa Jayhawker and jc smith. You are getting real warm. The media will be hopping on this like a dog on a bone!!

IowaJayhawker 5 years, 1 month ago

Hawkone-- i think it is more than just a player having his feelings hurt by the coach. Mangino consistently goes over the top when berating and belittling his players. Former players have discussed him using racist and hateful comments in practice. Definitely more than someone just getting feelings hurt.

orbiter 5 years, 1 month ago

"I'll defend him.....and Mangino.....for demanding the most out of their players. That's what they get paid to do." --KU

There is a difference between demanding the best and getting it, and demanding it and losing your team. Being a dck at practice doesn't necessarily mean you are going to get the best out of your players. It doesn't mean anything if you don't have the respect of your team. It doesn't mean anything if you are just a big dck. The football landscape is strewn with a**holes. Some win. Some don't.

MM had one great season and has an atrocious conference record. To act like he is football's version of Bobby Knight is just ridiculous.

(btw: Love the viper-tone of your post, very "manly". But I wonder if you actually played the game, because you seem to only know the coach's side. Maybe you are like MM? Had the mouth but couldn't actually play the game?)

troutsee 5 years, 1 month ago

Agree KUgrad93.

It all comes down to putting fans in the stands. The fragile KU FB fan base is edgy. Lew cannot afford to let them bolt.

As far as next year's recruits are concerned, according to Rivals, we have 15 orals and we are ranked at 38.

The weight of a head coach should not be a factor but yet it is, believe me.

MM is on thin ice and the players' meeting with the AD was not to support MM.

troutsee 5 years, 1 month ago

Charlie Wiess would be a disaster. So would Rich Rod.

Rivethead 5 years, 1 month ago

Sorry guys.....we're #6 in the Big 12 recruiting rankings....the highest ranking of any North team.

Should have clarified.

But you can kiss that ranking goodbye after today. I wonder how many of our recruits Grandpa Snyder has already called and told: there's trouble brewin' in Lawrence - you don't want to go there.

And if he's not then Stoops/Venebles are. And so are the Pelini bros, Pinkle, Briles, Hawkins......

Ben Kane 5 years, 1 month ago

rivethead, as a vt alum as well as a KU, I can tell you that Beamer was almost fired many times, but he had two things going for him. 1. He was a local hero who as a boy saved his brother from a barn fire (hence the face). 2. He didn't have to live up to the same expectations as MM because when he started VT was still years away from joining the big east (and ultimately the acc). He has had a tremendous DC in Bud Foster who provided stability in the D from the begininng and Michael Vick single handedly cemented his job while at the same time putting VT on the map for high level recruits.

I'm not going to speculate on the MM thing. I've been saying for a long time that I thought we'd need another coach to take us to the next level, but there is no denying that he got us here and until this year he has had his teams outperforming my expectations.

Loved his new game day glasses though :)

Rivethead 5 years, 1 month ago

If we let a group of players/former players and parents dictate who our football coach is we have no business being in the business of D1 athletics. That includes our precious basketball team.

Ben Kane 5 years, 1 month ago

let us not give up on this team. If we support them, they will come!

jhokfan 5 years, 1 month ago

This can not be good for recruiting.

kugrad93 5 years, 1 month ago

And now it's national news. Just like the team's fiasco with the basketball team. Good luck with this recruiting class.

tophawk87 5 years, 1 month ago

I happen to know what's going on. Coach Mangino is battling anorexia.....

and he's beating it.

kstrebor 5 years, 1 month ago

Wow, of course I was kidding. In fact an old high school friend of mine has been so kind as to create a facebook group dedicated to Bowen's demise.

Lets all join.

Layne Pierce 5 years, 1 month ago

Let' s all just ask ourselves, 8 years down the road in this football marriage, and are we satisfied? What if we had just started a football program, and we were only judging the performance, forget the past, it is miserable, a lot of it, and pathetic. I love the Jayhawks, and I sat through, I mean the entire game, of 49-7, 62, 84, you name the number games. The one thing that always ran through my mind at those times was that we are willing to settle for mediocrity.

In Nebraska, 9 wins a year wasn't enough, so Solich got the axe, (other factors played a big part also), now 9 wins a year and respectability in all games, pride by the players and the fans, the kind of thing we have in basketball, is not impossible, I repeat, not impossible. The questions Lew will be asking, because Lew is busting his butt trying to raise money for this program, is can MM deliver to keep the positive direction of football support going up?

Next year is half or more of memorial stadium is filled up with fans from other schools, then the answer will begin to become clear. Too many Nebraska fans at the game, I've seen it where three fourths were from Nebraska.

From a support standpoint, if we hired Nolan Cromwell, and paid for an excellent staff, if the people of the city and the state would make football tickets as hot a commodity as basketball tickets, and make a 5 years commitment to greatness, then the football jayhawk could truly soar.

On the other hand, we can just keep sawin wood.

desiree017 5 years, 1 month ago

i think JWLIDDELL should be the new coach.....rock chalk! :)

5 years, 1 month ago

Wonder which big mouth leaked this to the press. Definitely not something you want made public. Is someone that disgruntled?

sactownhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

ku,

I know football coaches are dicks, but if you look at college football's successful programs the coach is likable that has fun with his players, but also is stern and holds them accountable. as much as i hate pete carrol and usc, he has fun with his team and the players want to fight for him. It is pretty known that mangino is a no nonsense coach who seems to only have a decent relationship with reesing. He was very good for getting our program in the direction it needed to go and developing a new attitude on the hill, but we need someone to take us further then he can to compete in the big 12. yes football coaches are jerks, but the successful ones have fun with their guys, like bill self who you brought up. Bill Self gets the most out of his guys because they like him and trust him. It sounds like players are starting to not believe in mangino, that is a BIG problem.

Steve Brown 5 years, 1 month ago

finally all the frustration over the missing link makes sense, the last several losses just didn't add up, now it comes together.

the MM era is over. The meetings are about the divorce process not about whether he stays or goes, It's done.

He said, "I've lost some people around here but not the players." If that were true, we would have beaten KState Nebraska and who knows who else.

It's done. We are cellar dwellers in the North.

Some of you want to call me fair weather, traitor, disloyal, fine I welcome your opinions, doesn't change the facts. It's over.

suttonku 5 years, 1 month ago

hitme,

What do you have against Lew? He has not done anything wrong, hes just doing his job...He has received complaints from players and parents and so he has to investigate it.

txhawk06 5 years, 1 month ago

All I can say is that I appreciate what Mangino has done. I am hopeful that whatever comes of this we look back on and feel it was the right decision.

If Mangino is here, I support him. If he is not...I got dibs on his KU Varsity Jacket. The ultimate collector's item. You know Adidas only made one of those. I wouldn't mind one of his sweatshirts either, it would make a great snuggie.. or cover of a coupe. :)

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

suttonku 5 years, 1 month ago

I guess it was Arist Wright who brought concerns to Lew.

Otownhawker 5 years, 1 month ago

Word down here is John Gruden is comin back to be a coach

milehighhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

I would not be surprised if this involves Mangino forcing guys to play injured.

That's not a big deal when you win 11 games, but becomes an issue when you're struggling. Some players probably had enough & went crying to mommy and daddy to make it right.

We all know MM is kind of a douche, but I just can't see him physically hitting a player.

When you consider what could possibly be "investigated" by a "non-biased" party...I think this may be it.

shelleysue 5 years, 1 month ago

I have a serious headache from all this. How about we all just wait for the facts.

coolhand357 5 years, 1 month ago

No one has done a better jop at recruiting at Kansas than Mark Mangino. We have actually entered a new era for KU... expecting to win!

Kansas does not have the football atmosphere like the rest of the Big XII to help draw in the obvious top prospects. Instead, we have to rely on recruiting someone that has been overlooked or rejected by a big name football school in the Big XII or elsewhere. I live in Lincoln, NE... and everyone knows that Memorial Staduim at Kansas is the by far the least intimidating atmosphere in the Big XII. In this day and age, you Can Not have a running track between the playing field and the fans!!! There has been some decent improvement made to the facilities... but the actual stadium is absolutely not what it needs to be to compete in the rest of the college football world. Has anyone on this page been to a Nebraska football game??? ... not even a comparison. Kansas staduim is like a large high school staduim compared to NU, thus the recruiting situation will never reach the apex we all want it to.

The way I see it, it has been a miracle to get this far in recruiting the talent we have today, with the facilities we have. If you think a new coach is the answer... you are wrong. The lack of atmosphere is limiting the success of the football program.

shelleysue 5 years, 1 month ago

Maybe I'm missing something regarding the track and everyone complaining about it. Why is it going to help get closer to the field fans who a. sit on their butts the whole game. b. tell fans who want to stand and cheer to sit down and shut up. c. spend the game texting d. leave at half time ... What does getting rid of the track have to do with anything?? Sure it might be more desirable to get rid of the track, but that's not going to make Memorial Stadium more intimidating? Seriously. THE FANS MAKE IT INTIMIDATING. Yell louder then. We can't have an intimidating atmosphere when half the people sell their tickets to the opposition when we're having a rough stretch. Or when fans refuse to make noise. In the end it's up to the fans.

troutsee 5 years, 1 month ago

Success begets atmosphere. Coaching begets success. Success then leads to fan support, money, and continued success that then leads to tradition and stability.

MM has put much effort into bringing this program from the depths of the TA era to what it is now....respectability. But the W's bring the fans and the fans bring the money. And when unexpected losses occur, the holes in coaching become obvious. It is unfortunate but that's the way sports are. Coaches must win consistently and their teams must perform as though they are well coached. If they don't, the ax falls.

kickazzkurtz 5 years, 1 month ago

Phil Fulmer and Bill Young...hope they get considered if we need to but I hope not.

Kevin Long 5 years, 1 month ago

Report out of 810 sports. A source inside the program said Mangino is fired on thursday. And he has "been nervous every practice" about it coming. I don't know what all this means, but there it is.

KU 5 years, 1 month ago

Orbiter says: "And you think Mangino is getting the best out of his players? Really? He had a Big 12 North contender, tons of returning starters, has a top-20 salary. He's getting paid for something, but "getting the best out of his players"?"

If you really thought KU was going to have a great year (as in contend for the North) with the "tons of returning starters" we had, you're silly. Yes, we had some offensive skill players, but I said from August that we would only go as far as our lines (offensive and defensive) would take us. We had extremely spotty line play all year. It doesn't matter how many skilled guys you have if they don't have time to work their magic. I never thought we'd be 10-2, but at the same time I didn't think we'd be 1-5 in the conference at this point of the season, either. I was thinking 8-4 or 7-5.

I never said Mangino was actually getting the best out of his players. I was making the point that coaches have to be tough on kids in order to get the best out of their players. I said I defended Self and Mangino for being hard-a$$e$ while demanding the best.

Now if somebody on the coaching staff crossed the line, I wouldn't support that. But I was opining on the comment that someone said the players didn't like Mangino because he was a "dick" at practice.

justanotherfan 5 years, 1 month ago

Let's talk verbal abuse for a second.

I know it has been brought up, but I want to hash it out a little bit.

First, the evidence. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmAYpA...

Everybody remembers that video. For a lot of people, that introduced Mangino to them (nationally, anyway). I have no problem with Mangino getting in Pendleton's face about the penalty. It was a stupid penalty. He should get an earful for that.

The problem I have is that Mangino didn't just get on Pendleton - he showed him up in front of the whole team. His tirade started at 0:19. It didn't end until 0:40. That's 20 seconds of f-bomb filled fury. And for what? Yeah, the Pendleton did something stupid. As a coach you should check your players on that. But after the first 10 seconds, that was established. The next 10 was overkill.

And that hurts recruiting. Any opposing coach can reference that youtube video (two years old now) and ask a recruit pondering KU and their school if they want to be shown up like that. I can't find the video of it, but something very similar happened last year in the Insight Bowl. Someone (don't remember who, sorry) drew a penalty and Mangino went off on them. Cameras were trained on them as Mangino chewed the player out for 10 seconds or so. Mangino stopped, and the player started walking off, then Mangino ripped back into them again.

That's two in game incidents. Who knows how often that happens at practice. That is potentially hurting recruiting. If it is hurting recruiting (and parents would know, because they play a HUGE role in those decisions), then Mangino's time may be up.

As always, discuss.

Tribehawk 5 years, 1 month ago

justanotherfan,

I think you're right. Mangino's treatment of Pendleton was inexcusable. But success covers many sins. Not sure how I feel that we have to wait until a five game losing streak before an investigation occurs that rightfully should have happened earlier (based on what is being reported now). It makes Lew look bad. At the end of this drama, everyone is going to look bad.

TrueBlue92 5 years, 1 month ago

Ron_Kellog: Just because Dick Jauron was fired from Buffalo today does not make him a candidate.

jhokfan 5 years, 1 month ago

Good point coolhand.

If it was as simple as hiring a good coach why have we not been able to do just that?

TrueBlue92 5 years, 1 month ago

Didn't 810 Sports report Mike Shannahan was going to be the Chiefs coach/GM last year?

wolfy 5 years, 1 month ago

The fact that Lew has commissioned an independent investigative panel is very interesting. He would not have done that to entertain the whining of a bunch of embittered parents concerned about Mangino's liberal use of the F-bomb or frequent tirades. (Guys, we all know that is what you sign up for when you play football past the 8th grade.) There's got to be something much more nefarious going on here.

hawkfan4life 5 years, 1 month ago

Sorry I am posting this in two places guys, I know most of us don't like that. But, my comment relates to the conversation on both articles...

Mangino is definitely not a people person. He couldn't talk his way out of a brown paper bag if his life depended on it. Have you guys ever heard him in a press conference, or watched his weekly coach's show? It's pretty embarrassing really. It actually makes me wonder how in the heck he got through the interview process to be the head guy. No personality, no enthusiasm, no anything other than occasional anger. My friends that played for him a few years back when we stayed in the towers hated him because he belittled them so much. His anger is very consistent for his players. Some players respond well to that type of coaching, but the overwhelming majority don't. I don't doubt that Mangino knows what he is doing, he has had success. He hasn't had more success than he has had turbulence though.

masonhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

I completely support the KU athletic department with any decision they make; fire or retain Coach Mangino. With that being said if I had a to throw a name out it would be like another poster suggested, Phil Fulmer. Fulmer was 152-52 at Tennessee and won a NC.

rastameta 5 years, 1 month ago

He has lost both the players and his staff. He has been abusive in different ways. This is coming from people within the program.

Mangino is gone.

WjayhawkW 5 years, 1 month ago

Is who took concerns to Lew really relevant here?

coolhand357 5 years, 1 month ago

shelleysue -

In your comments, you stated that the fan base needs improvement. If the Jayhawks had an accomodating facility, the fan base would have an oportunity to improve regardless of who the coach is.

Not only does the track create a distance barrier, but the entire stadium is too small. The replay screen is tiny compared to other schools. The "family section" is a joke. No real staduim has a "family section"! Whats next, a jungle jym in the stands?? Is Ronald McDonald our mascot?? l also understand there is a ticket price for children that is less than adults. WTF? Do we invite mediocrity? THAT would never happen at NU. If you want to have play time for your kids at a football game, you better be prepared pay full price for seats. We need real FANS at the staduim, so lets not make it easy to bring along the family dog! The stadium should be filled with LOUD FANS, even if it is only half full, not kids playing with thier cell phones.

I tell you this, if you come to an game at NU, you will pay full price or more for your ticket, so you'd better be a real fan or at least planning to enjoy the game to it's fullest. A larger stadium would also mean there would be more room for our opposing fans... so be it! If our fans aren't good enough, then lets take the money from our opponents and improve our facility even more. Eventually, the place will be filled with more fans because the facility will draw a higher level of atheletes. Just like NU. The capacity of NU staduim is over 80,000 with one of the largest jumbo-trons in the nation. Talk about recruiting leverage! People buy tickets just to see the place, let alone watch football. There is no reason why KU can't do the same... Unless you are willing to accept mediocrity for many, many years to come.

Layne Pierce 5 years, 1 month ago

Cool Hand

I really think you have got it right. The difference between KU football and KU basketb all is that the fans and the program are bigger than the coach, bigger than the players.

Our basketball fans demand excellence. Allen Field House is a jewel.

Lew understands that building up the facilities and the overall atmosphere is the key component, and the other component is die hard KU fans. I mean die hard, not wimpy, impress me if you can, fans, but people who are just a little crazy and a lot demanding.

There are many coaches who could get it done. The point is MM's role is limited, and we need to reach for a replacement that yes, will need 2 years to get it going, but who will really get it going. That means coach, recruit, organize, maintain discipline without pummelling any players, or browbeating them into the ground, and someone who can talk to the presss, and represent the university like a man who gets 2 million dollars ought to be able to do.

shelleysue 5 years, 1 month ago

Cool hand - I can tell you first hand that kids don't get reduced rates.We pay the same price for our 10-year old grandson's season ticket as we pay for ours. My daughter paid full price for her 6 month old single game ticket

If fans don;t come to games because the stadium looks like a high school stadium, that's ridiculous.#1 our high school stadium sure doesn't look anything like Memorial and #2 I would go to our high school stadium to watch the Jayhawks if I had to. I could care less what the stadium's like as long as my Jayhawks are playing. Do I care what size the replay board is? Hell no. (If I recall they are going to be replacing it soon anyway)

The family section is a reduced rate. I don't think there is anything wrong in trying to make it a family day. Say what you want about kids but my grandson makes more noise than 3/4 of the adults in the stadium, he knows what's going on at all times, studies the player profiles - in other words knows more about the Jayhawks than many adults and is as passionate about Jayhawk football as anyone.

Look at what has been done in the past two years. As I said a new video board is coming, plans are to add 3,000 more seats, there has been enough talk about removing the track that I'm sue it's right around the corner, new playing surface this year. Good grief - be patient. We're aleady in the process of building a better facility.

To stadium is full. The fans need to be more passionate about KU football - and to claim the stadium is the reason is ridiculous. If you want NE football, go to NE games. There's always an excuse. It it's not a losing season, it's the stadium, if it's not that it's the coach, if it's not that it's because we lost to Mizzou, if it's not that it's the teeny video board...

ack 5 years, 1 month ago

Mike Ditka is the answer KU! Chicago Bears is the clue for Mangino? Lots of sausage pasta and brew for all... Maybe a direct flight from Chicago to Lawrence airport. The only people who know what's up will announce it sooner or later.

TexasJayhawk78 5 years, 1 month ago

Hey Lew, do you hang all your dirty laundry out on the line? Where did you learn your management skills? Did you ever hear of being discrete and taking care of business in a business like manner? I suppose if we want to kill a program and guarantee we run off any future recruits all we have to do is put Lew in command of the athletic department. Way to go Lew!

All of Missouri, Colorado, Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, and half of Kansas - wish to thank you.

63Jayhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

Personally, win or lose, I'd prefer that Mangino be replaced. I do not believe he is a good representative of our University. Two incidents some to mind. The first incident was his behavior regarding his high school football playing son and the game officials. The second was his foul mouthed berating of Pendleton that made the rounds on youtube. There were much better ways of handling both situations. I suspect that there is a lot more than smoke to the Arist WritgI incident. If I had a football playing son or grandson, I would not want him to play for Mangino.

HuskerFan71 5 years, 1 month ago

If MM gets the boot I think the Lew would be smart to consider offering the job to someone who has never been a head coach and no baggage. Shawn Watson from Nebraska would be a great candidate. He could use his playbook with the players that are already at KU and it probably wouldn't cause any recruits to decommit. I would absolutely hate to loose him as our OC but the man will be a head coach so it will only be a matter of time. I bet if KU offered him the job for 1.5 mil he would take it in a heart beat. The NU players love him and he knows how to create team chemistry. Any thoughts?

HuskerFan71 5 years, 1 month ago

Jhokfan

I'd rather you did as well. You must not like KU all that much. I'm glad we agree.

friendinhtown 5 years, 1 month ago

Arist Wright DID NOT go to the AD to report this incident. Another player on the team did. This kind of stuff has been happening to a lot of them and I think this was the last straw because Arist is quiet and just does what he is told and takes it like a man when Mangino acts crazy with him. This has been going on for years. Over the years, a lot of players have left because of the way they were treated. I know this is football but there is a limit. His parents didn't even know about the incident because Arist blew it off but the same player that went to the AD told his parents. His parents told him to hang in there. They did not go to the media. In fact they have not spoken to the media about this incident. The media has been calling his dad but he is just ignoring the phone calls because he don't want to make a big deal of the situation. I think that since the team is having a losing season, they need to have an out to get rid of Mangino. So they need to leave Arist alone. He is not a whiny player nor a wus! Get the facts before making comments.

HuskerFan71 5 years, 1 month ago

friendinhtown

I agree with you completely. Obviously Lew knew about Mangino's anger problems for a while now. The "chest poking" of Arist would not be that big of a deal if it were an isolated incident. Just think about this... When Mangino tore Pendleton a new one after he got the penalty after the touchdown (which by the way I don't think he deserved) it was caught on camera. Pendleton just took one to the house and he was rightfully excited. Mangino should have yelled at the refs for throwing the flag if he was so pissed. Don't take it out on the player that actually worked his A@@ off to return the TD. Now that one incident was caught on camera and it was a youtube sensation because of how harsh it was. Think about all the crap that happens while no cameras are present. Yes they are football players and most people seem to think that they should just suck it up and guess what... the football players have that mentality as well. How much NEEDLESS demeaning rants does it take to take the fun out of playing the GAME. Mangino lost it on a non-football player who was just doing his job of parking enforcement. The guy is just a a-hole and everyone knows it. Why now are they making a big deal of it? Because when your winning and bringing millions into the university it's easy for some to turn the other check. Arist isn't whiny, Mangino just is a PR^CK and it's finally catching up to him. Once again good call friendinhtown.

Larry Kampa 5 years ago

I sure hope Mangino moves on because we don't deserve him!

This is pathetic...he "poked" him in the chest? It's football, come on, the point of the game is to run over someone, hit him, tackle him knock him down...where is THIS going to end??

Get him a dress and drive him to the game in a Volvo. And when he "twitters" that he doesn't feel like playing but that mean old coach is yelling at him just fire the coach.

Tell Johnny he's a winner...give him a trophy for last place and don't let anyone make him feel bad...

Then give him a Million $'s to play on Sunday and tell your kids not to watch when he makes fun of the ref's or climbs into the stands to beat up a fan that said the wrong thing because that's not the way to act...until you beat the crap out of the ref because he called your kid out in a close little league game....

Come on people, if the player had an issue with something he said why didn't he "man-up" and go confront the coach?? Maybe because he was wrong, didn't follow the coach's program and made a mistake? And maybe because he could find a sympathetic audience like this, on his twitter account..or maybe it was that 3rd string guy who is already pissed because he gets no PT.

God love you Mangino, because we sure don't. And we don't deserve you...Move on.

I'm sure there is some other coach (Turner Gill, Nolan Cromwell...you must be kidding!!) that will embrace this tragedy. Jump in with two feet and wait for the tradition rich KU football program fans to get tired of you and your 2nd best winning percentage EVER and regular bowl appearances because Johnny didn't eat his vegetables and you made him.

I've been in California now for more than 20 years. I always valued my KU experience for the common sense and solid judgment skills I gained there. But now...this is really sad..the court of public opinion, live on ESPN!