Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Investigation under way

Football review involves personnel matter

KU football coach Mark Mangino fielded questions about a recent meeting between football players and Athletic Director Lew Perkins at his weekly Tuesday press conference at the Anderson Family Football Complex.

Videos

Mangino investigation

video thumbnail

Videos related to the investigation into alleged inappropriate behavior by KU football coach Mark Mangino.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Mark Mangino discusses investigation

Mark Mangino spent about 10 minutes discussing an investigation the athletic department is conducting, as well as the upcoming game against Texas.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Reesing discusses Mangino investigation

Senior quarterback Todd Reesing provided more information about the investigation that is underway of KU football coach Mark Mangino.

Download podcast

The Kansas University football program and its coach soon will be under review.

KU confirmed Tuesday that it had launched an internal investigation concerning football coach Mark Mangino, an action the Journal-World has learned was prompted by the concerns of a current player and others with ties to the program.

During a Monday night meeting that included Athletic Director Lew Perkins and members of the football team — but not Mangino — Perkins informed players that the investigation would be handled by an unbiased source, KU quarterback Todd Reesing said Tuesday. Lori Williams, associate athletic director/risk management, has been selected to lead the investigation.

“I can confirm an internal review is under way,” Perkins said in a quote released by the school Tuesday. “It involves a personnel matter and, as a result, is confidential. It would be inappropriate for me to provide further information right now.”

The meeting, first reported by the Journal-World, was sparked when Mangino allegedly poked KU senior linebacker Arist Wright in the chest several weeks ago, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. Wright later went to Perkins with concerns about the coach.

During his weekly meeting with the media Tuesday, Mangino said he’d had a 10- to 15-minute meeting with Perkins, though he declined to give specifics.

A university spokesperson, meanwhile, said there’s no timetable as to the conclusion of the investigation.

Mangino, who took over at KU in 2002 and last fall signed a contract extension through 2012, is 50-46 overall at Kansas and just two victories shy of tying A.R. Kennedy’s school record of 52 victories from 1904-10. KU has two games remaining in the 2009 regular season — Texas on Saturday, followed by Missouri on Nov. 28.

Comments

Dan Pawlowski 5 years, 1 month ago

A poke in the chest. Please. No wonder he is backing up a freshman.

Todd 5 years, 1 month ago

Here my family and I were wondering what things could have been done to cause such a stir and it's a friggin poke to the chest? That's ridiculous. Get over it Wright. If more serious allegations come out then so be it, but if we lose a good football coach because of a player whining about getting poked and some parents boo hooing about their baby not getting the playing time then maybe KU really should give up on football. This isn't a Woody Hayes situation people. Jeez

Kevin Kelly 5 years, 1 month ago

Now they have turned on coach.

Check please. I'd like to leave. Now!

And bring me a doggie bag so I can throw up.

Robert Brock 5 years, 1 month ago

That poke to the chest probably pancaked Wright. Wright abhors contact.

jakzhumans 5 years, 1 month ago

This is going to sound odd, but I almost hope the investigation turns up more than just a chest poke and some verbal abuse. Because if that's all there is, and all of this has blown up because of a that single complaint and some generally disgruntled players and parents stemming from playing time and yelling, then Perkins, KUAC, and the university are all going to look pretty stupid.

ks_univ_nut 5 years, 1 month ago

Rats are always the first to abandon a ship when it begins taking on water. My alegence is with Mangino until PROVEN OTHERWISE. This is another step in your life Wright, not everything or everyone is going to please you, and unless you win the lottery or become a multil-millionaire, your opinion is not going to matter. So quit whinning, do your job right, or hit the highway.

skeezerpleezer 5 years, 1 month ago

NEJhawk, o wise one. What is this "riot" you talk about? I do recall several players arguing on campus awhile back. If that is your idea of a riot, then riots occur all the time on college campuses.

CrimsonPhoenix 5 years, 1 month ago

I have a feeling this poke in the chest is a "tip of the iceberg" type of situation. Let's just wait and see how this all unfolds.

troutsee 5 years, 1 month ago

I have been saying all along that Mangino has had extra pressure on him not related to his coaching or poking. #1 He was not hired by Lew. #2 he has been grossly overweight throughout his coaching career, with his weight really carreening out of control since he came to Kansas. At the same time that our society is trying to address the obesity epidemic as a nation, the poster boy for KU football weighs in at 450+ pounds. Where's the will to change? Where's the self-discipline? Now throw in some poking, some temper outbursts (appropriate or inappropriate), a talented team that seems to be disorganized, a disappointing season, and you have a formula for failure and dismissal. After all that has happened, especially the latest noteriety, I see no way that MM can survive. It's too bad, as he did put a lot of effort into his job but then so did every FB coach who gets fired. I truly feel sorry for him, but what is done is done. As a university, we must move on and do so quickly.

jhawkfan22 5 years, 1 month ago

HCMM has been the most successful coach at KU in...heck...30-40 years?!? It would be a mistake to run him off. If we run him off...who's going to want this job? Kansas isn't one of the premier football programs in the Big XII...let alone the country. I'd hate to see us slide back into football irrelevance again.

smitjust 5 years, 1 month ago

DocBean 5 years, 1 month ago

Folks on the radio say they keep getting unconfirmed reports from players and parents that are Really bad. They say if any of the reports are true, then MM is done before the end of the week.

Sounds like more then a poke in the chest. Some Football Alumni have also said that a lot of players don't want to play for him, and that's nothing new.

If he's lost his players, or done something as bad as people are saying, then he's got to go. If not, then it's a shame it's unraveled like this, but he's probably still going to be gone. Coaches don't keep their jobs when these things make it this far.

kuhawksr1 5 years, 1 month ago

Nut, I'm with you. Fully support for Mangino (I sat through the TA era) until they prove why we shouldn't support him! Trout, you move on. Get off the computer and go back to the gym. Don't forget your manicure at 2:00 and have the kids picked up by 4:00. Dance is at 7:00.

Lew shouldn't be giving these tissue-soft players and their helicopter parents the time of day!

Phoggin_Loud 5 years, 1 month ago

Well stated, troutsee. It will be a shame if HCMM is dismissed, especially if it was a "chest poke". Football is an emotional game, and emotions can get the best of you sometimes. With that said, there is no place for violence towards players. In addition, he has a history of other incidents, including NCAA violations where scholarships were lost. I personally don't want to see this bring him down, but we will learn the facts of the investigation soon enough.

Kevin Kelly 5 years, 1 month ago

From Wiki

"A riot is a form of civil disorder characterized by disorganized groups lashing out in a sudden and intense rash of violence against people or property. While individuals may attempt to lead or control a riot, riots are typically chaotic and exhibit herd behavior.

Riots often occur in reaction to a perceived grievance or out of dissent. Historically, riots have occurred due to poor working or living conditions, government oppression, taxation or conscription, conflicts between races, food supply or religions (see race riot, sectarian violence and pogrom), the outcome of a sporting event or frustration with legal channels through which to air grievances.

I went to KU from 95-99. Guess how many fights I saw on campus, let alone during the day during classes. Go ahead. Guess.

If you want me to be polite I could have said rumble. But this isn't the 1950's so I'll just call it what it is. Its a riot. It spiraled out of control like a riot. Old scores were settled like a riot. People with no connection to the issue at hand got involved like a riot.

It was a riot.

Ben Kane 5 years, 1 month ago

This isn't Bobby Bowden here. I doubt the university launches the investigation solely for a poke in the chest. Based on all events this year Lew has probably been itching to pull the trigger. I believe the accusations are of a fairly serious nature and if this independent report comes back just 51% against MM, I'm guessing he will be gone. I support the Lew and the university over MM.

I do feel for MM though. I'm sure not the way he saw this playing out just a couple of years ago. I don't have a problem with the man's weight, that's his business. But imagine how different things would be right now if he had dedicated himself to dropping it and had put himself through some of the same things he makes the players do. I guarantee that even when we started losing he would still have the players respect.

1977kufan 5 years, 1 month ago

Everyone, everyone, let the University of Kansas administration and AD Perkins and HC MM handle this situation. Speculation, conjecture, questionable allegations and so forth only fuel any potential discontent and exacerbate the situation. As a graduate of two outstanding professional schools at our University, I am remaining reserved and awaiting objective data and information. Until then, I am completely supporting HC Mangino. His record of improvement of the football program is indeed something our University has been long awaiting (yes, I am aware the last 5 football games). There certainly was a hugh hiatus between "our" visits to the Orange Bowl. If you are concerned about his weight, so am I. However, that is a medical condition and needs to be address through medical advice, diet and so many important, related medical factors (if he has not already began to address this medical condition). Let's (all) see what the University finds as objective data, then proceed from there. Don't dismiss an outstanding HC for trivial concerns such as speculation, complaints or simply "pokes in the chest". Rock Chalk, Jayhawks

saidtoomuch 5 years, 1 month ago

Dexton Fields also said he thought the rumors that were now surfacing were legitimate and had been occurring since he came to Kansas in 2004.

“It’s been a long time that that stuff has been happening and it had to surface,” Fields said. “Of all the talent that KU has there, it had to be some other reason that KU isn’t producing out on the field. It’s been long overdue.”

“I knew it was a matter of time before somebody reported it or said something, because it’s been happening since I got there and I’m sure before then,” Marcus Herford said. “I’m surprised actually that it took this long honestly.”

Why would former players come out to say such things against their previous head coach? Maybe they just didn't get enough playing time when they were here.

Mangino will never be able to top his Orange Bowl year, in fact I doubt he will ever sniff another BCS bowl. So we can expect 5 to maybe 9 wins per season as long as HCMM is here. Mangino has done a great job getting us out of the basement, but he has already reached his peak. It would have been great if Mangino was as good of a coach as Stoops or Snyder, but he just isn't.

How difficult will it be to recruit players to a team where the head coach has been under investigation for abuse of his players? And if there is any evidence that he has been really abusing players or throwing around racial slurs, he needs to go sooner rather than later.

Why would KU put this out there with two games left in the season, unless something serious happened?

txhawk06 5 years, 1 month ago

Ugh...

This story has officially been given a 3 minute spot on Sports Center.

Our Football program is starting over....whether MM is here or not...

59Jayhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

Strange, I thought football was a routh, tough sport and these guys are or should be tough enough to take a poke in the chest from the coach. You have to laugh when the arm-chair quarterbacks tell you how it should be done. If we had won two or three of the last 5 games, do you think that there would be a complaint. Yeh, rifght

txhawk06 5 years, 1 month ago

I respect Lew doing his job and I think he is a great AD. But this should have been kept internal for as long as possible.

I didn't want to believe what I was reading in all the comments about Lew not hiring MM, but perhaps it is possible that Lew has it out for the big man.

Phoggin_Loud 5 years, 1 month ago

What makes you think that our football team is starting over? KU plays #3 Texas this Saturday night on ABC. Surely they won't talk about any of this.

NebraskaJayhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

Troutsee....who gives a flip about his weight. It has nothing to do with the success of this football team. There have been many overweight successful coaches. Your view of overweight individuals reflects how biased you are. I am underweight for my height..however, I could care less what the weight is of someone else. This investigation is not about HCMM being overweight. This investigation shows exactly how pathetic our society has become on a whole. A poke in the chest by a football coach? You've got to be kidding me. Grow some, gentlemen....this is college football.

txhawk06 5 years, 1 month ago

Phoggin: I guarantee the broadcasters will talk about this. It will probably go something like, "this team is stepping up and playing hard for their coach who has been going through some turmoil surrounding the investigation on him" or "this Kansas team poor play is obviously showing the distraction of all the events going on surrounding their head coach". Then whoever hasn't heard about this, will surely look it up. I imagine some of those will be TX high schoolers considering KU. Where do we target our recruiting efforts? Texas.

No matter what, it is not going to help our recruiting.

saidtoomuch 5 years, 1 month ago

Do you honestly believe Perkins would put a story out there with two games left in the season because his football coach poked someone in the chest? Coaches poke players in the chest on the sidelines all the time during games on camera, It can't hurt, they're wearing pads. These guys have been playing football their entire life, you think they don't have an understanding of how a head football coach should act? My guess is that they are just scratching the surface with these allegations. Why is more important to support the KU head coach over the Jayhawk players that chose to come to this University and play for this coach? Players don't alienate themselves just for kicks. If you want to say its football be tough that's fine, but abuse is abuse and these are just kids with no one to turn to for help. It's easy to turn your cheek to abusers, it is much more difficult to stand up and do something about it.

Ben Kane 5 years, 1 month ago

nope this is a recruiting nightmare, coupled with losing so many games on national tv. The situation requires clarification and possibly even closure before kickoff.

grandpa 5 years, 1 month ago

All of you above people can stand by for a big surprise.!

Phoggin_Loud 5 years, 1 month ago

This post was pure sarcasm. The national media loves stories like this. The drama, the intrigue. I hate to say it, but there may be a lot of "fill" time during the game to specifically talk about this. Regardless of the outcome of the investigation, the football program has been set back. Too many negative issues in the past few years.

DocBean 5 years, 1 month ago

The only positive in this is, we'll have a head start on other schools looking for a coach. There is no way Mangino will be back; not after all of this. It's too bad because I think he's a good coach; but it looks like he's not a great person. I have a hard time feeling sorry for any of these guys that are making millions a year. He'll be fine, and get another gig.

My cousin played for Mangino at KSU, and he said he's a good coach, but wouldn't be good for KU. I thought he was wrong, but now I'm seeing what he was talking about.

KU will pay the next guy big money. So hopefully they'll find someone that will earn a big paycheck, and take us to a higher level.

saidtoomuch 5 years, 1 month ago

We'll never find another coach that can get us 5 wins in a season.

okiedave 5 years, 1 month ago

When was the last time we had a national coach of the year and an orange bowl victory at K.U.?? If it was a poke in the chest, lets give MM a chance to repent of any sins and then more time to develop the program. Some other school is going to pick Mangino up and he will build a successful program there. If we let him go, we lose a coach who is willing to make this a long term endeavor. Any new coach will come in and if successful, be hired away within three years by another school. K.U. is known as the revolving door of coaches. If it was much, much, much more than a poke in the chest, then lets give MM stronger reprimand and force him to repent harder and give him another year to develop the program.

KU 5 years, 1 month ago

Unfortunately, if it really turns out to be just a "poke in the chest" and it's determined Mangino keeps his job, he's a lame duck for the rest of his tenure. You can be sure every recruiter in the country will use this against him.

I'm not saying I am for or against Mangino getting fired because we don't have all the evidence. But even if a "poke in the chest" is all it is--with all the water that's under the bridge in the last 24 hours--I think Lew will have to can Mangino. Because of how this has gone public, there's really no other way it can go down. Successful recruiting is probably 33% of having a successful program. Even if it's just an "alleged" black mark against him, this will have a serious impact on Mangino's ability to recruit the kind of kids we need to win big-time.

Steve Brown 5 years, 1 month ago

grandpa it's obvious you are correct, yet will it be before or after the ABC national TV texas game? can't sort that part out.

will the university benefit from having it done before or after saturday? pls provide your hunch.

The chinese water torture on MM is hard to watch after what he has done for us, yet each day more and more stuff will leak out until he gets it and is faced with the inevitable, just sign the release. It's of his own choosing, he could have signed the release, left for health reasons and saved his public reputation. He elected this path, which forces AD hand to take it to unpartial board of revew and public srutiny. Wish MM had better advisors to allow him to face his true crossroads. He has choice of two paths, still holding on to one not available. Tough and hard to watch.

It's done, as at this stage, no matter the loyal and to be admired fans wishes, it is destiny at this stage. Let the second act begin.

saidtoomuch 5 years, 1 month ago

I agree with KU and that is who I am a fan of, not an individual coach.

Tony Bandle 5 years, 1 month ago

Putting all of this aside and strictly talking football,

to probably lose the last seven games of a season after winning the first five, to have constant reoccuring failures on Offense [no running game], to have deficencies on defense [ pass coverage/tackling], to have holes in special teams [terrible coverage/ no return production/ a kicking game wildly inconsistent]

Based on the returning talent, these alone are items worthy of consideration of dismissal. No one expected a BCS Bowl but, c'mon, to finish last in the Big Twelve North during it's worst quality season ever???

I say this alone is enough for dismissal. If ANY of the other stuff is true, Lew.....DO IT NOW!!!!!!!!

jayhawkboogeyman 5 years, 1 month ago

How you feel about what Mangino did to Arist Wright is irrelevant. The bottom line is that as head coach Mangino's job is to make his players better athletes, better people, and eager representatives of the coach and university. The total lack of energy and effort from the team the past several games proves that Mangino is not achieving his goal as a coach. It makes no difference what he is doing to lose his players; the point is that at least some players feel that his coaching methods are tearing down their confidence and not enhancing their abilities. As the head coach, you don't have an iron fist and force players to conform. Mangino has to figure out what kind of motivation and schemes work for these players. His lack of adjustments throughout the season shows that he is not adjusting to the personnel to make them better; instead he is trying to force his players to do what they are not good at and then apparently belittling them for not succeeding. Crass insensitivity and stubbornness is not conducive to a winning program. And Arist Wright has every reason to complain. He is in his last season ever of playing football. He works hard, has had reasonable success, and he is seeing his last shot wasted by what he sees as coaching incompetence. Whatever comes of the investigation, I at least respect the courage it takes to call out the head coach.

IowaJayhawker 5 years, 1 month ago

This reportedly happened the week of the CU game, which as we all know was the beginning of this nightmare of the last 5 weeks. Coincidence? I think not. There have been times over the past 5 games where I have actually said that it looks like the team has quit. And it all makes more sense now with the timing.

There has to have been something more than a poke in the chest to launch this kind of investigation.

theajayhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

There is nothing in this world called an unbiased investigation. It is always towards the opinion of the person that is paying for the investigation (like the baseball steroid investigation). I dont know what side I am on, but this is what is going to happen (a) Univ. wants to fire MM, a lot of issues are going to come through the investigation and the Univ. will fire for cause, meaning MM wont get his contract money; (b) University wants to keep him, it will end us being some incidents that will be dealt with internally to satisfy the overpaid HR lawyers.

Jeffery Stadler 5 years, 1 month ago

Really he grabbed a player yelled at him, and poked him in the chest? The player was laughing during practice? In middle school I would have spent the rest of practice running after being yelled at. It is called respect for your coach.Sorry not a big problem as long as there were no punches or general striking of the player. Do we want to be winners? This is still the violent game filled with emotion right? No wonder we are 5-5. Since when do linebacker whine so much. Part of the team must be "sawing wood" while others are "picking daisies"

danno1313 5 years, 1 month ago

This may be the first time all football season that anyone from KU made GOOD CONTACT with anyone else! 5 and 7 coming up!

Benjamin Piehler 5 years, 1 month ago

insider info says mangino is gone tomorrow. well see if its true.

hdhntr 5 years, 1 month ago

the other teams in the north are hoping the fat man is still ku coach, as he has shot the program in the foot when it comes to recruiting. you know every decent player signed is already on the phone with multiple opposing coaches talking about how the manmountain ate one of his players and that is what this is all about. What parents would want their son to play for a**holes like gino or Bo, who loses his mind on the sideline and berates his guys as well.

simple deal, gino isnt' lew's guy, any excuse will do to remove him. he is an embarassment to the program.

hawkone 5 years, 1 month ago

The deal is the incident gave Lew an excuse since it is obvious that the alumni are wanting Mangino out. College football has become a petty organization where no loyalty exists, only the voice of the boosters. Nebraska is a fine example of how this happened when they fired Solich and fell off drastically. Mangino is not perfect(part of being human) but he did build this program. Unfortunately that means nothing these days to fans who think every coach that can't win them a championship should be fired. I say its time for all those complaining to get out there check books because championship teams take $$$$. If we don't want to fall backward the new head coach better be in the $3M a year range or we never should have considered firing the 2007 Coach of the Year.

Steve Brown 5 years, 1 month ago

Boys: Texas is talented big & confident.

So was Goliath.

Hit them, knock them down and hit them again.

with this coach, another coach or no coach, go HIT texas and make ESPN national upset game of the week.

Kansas 27 Texas 24. RCJHKU

jgh 5 years, 1 month ago

"They acted like children when they were involved in a riot on campus. They then proceeded to play like a distracted, terrible team. They turned on the students when they were strugling with ISU, proving how distracted and petty they were. Reesing gets benched and the team has the gaul to pretend they don't know why.

Now they have turned on coach.

Check please. I'd like to leave. Now!

And bring me a doggie bag so I can throw up."

Posts like this make me sick, and they're becoming much too frequent.

Please do NOT shift the blame to the players. The "riot" was blown far out of proportion and was quickly settled. Regardless, those things happen everywhere. The average high school/college kid BRAGS about fights, yet we're going to throw stones when there's an altercation that results in one dislocated finger?

The team didn't "turn on" the fans. Reesing made one comment, which was well-deserved on that particular day. It was inexcusable for the stadium to be half-empty in the middle of a win for a 5-0 team.

And if the rumors surrounding Mangino are true (and this didn't start yesterday--Mangino has had enemies throughout the university for a long time), they have every right to turn on the coach. However, from what I've heard, they haven't even chosen to do so (publicly). Reesing, for one, has taken the high road and refused to divulge anything negative about his coach. It's more than Mangino deserves.

saidtoomuch 5 years, 1 month ago

I guess its a matter of whether or not we want to be a championship team or not. It wouldn't even be a question in basketball.

MitchumMan 5 years, 1 month ago

I never saw this article anywhere but someone posted it.

At first I thought this was all about one player being ticked off because he wasn't getting much playing time. But to have all of these former players coming out and telling their stories, I'd say this investigation needs to take place.

MM has done a good job at making football relevant again at KU, and I thank him for that. But I have a feeling that their is going to be a new head coach REAL SOON in Lawrence. I just hope he's a great coach and a great recruiter. Rock Chalk!!!

Benjamin Piehler 5 years, 1 month ago

hawkone, one thing is tho is that funding for the athletics department has gone up over 300% since 2000 i believe.... the checkbooks have already been broken in. maybe we'll have to do it again though.....

LAJayhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

"insider info".... Care to elaborate?

Benjamin Piehler 5 years, 1 month ago

i wish i could, i overheard a couple guys in a grocery store in lawrence yesterday saying that it was official he was going to be fired but wouldnt be announced until thurs (one mentioned he heard it from someone at the university). not sure what to think about it but thought i would be worth sharing with yall either way.

jgh 5 years, 1 month ago

"Mangino is not perfect(part of being human) but he did build this program. Unfortunately that means nothing these days to fans who think every coach that can't win them a championship should be fired. I say its time for all those complaining to get out there check books because championship teams take $$$$. If we don't want to fall backward the new head coach better be in the $3M a year range or we never should have considered firing the 2007 Coach of the Year."

Few, if any, of us think that Mangino deserves to be dismissed based on performance.

mondhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

Get rid of mm not because of his fiery nature but for his underachieving, undiscipline mistake prone, fundementally unsound team he keeps putting out on the field week after week.

Steve Brown 5 years, 1 month ago

Kansas 36 Texas 18

Upsets aren't likely that is why they are upsets. They are possible, that is why they schedule the kick/off.

RCJHKU

md88 5 years, 1 month ago

Is this starting to remind anyone of how Matt Dougherty was run out of North Carolina to make room for Roy? Is there a hotshot coach out there ready to hop a jet to Lawrence?

MitchumMan 5 years, 1 month ago

md88,

Someone I know mentioned the same exact occurrence. If this is the case, I just hope it's a coach that will lead us to prominence in the North.

DocBean 5 years, 1 month ago

I heard the names Shannahan and Cower. I'm betting that whoever said those names had some insider info, just like Grunny. haha.

....come to think of it, Grunny would make a good college coach. Unless Notre Dame comes knocking on his door first.

Dan Pawlowski 5 years, 1 month ago

It was overheard at the grocery store. I must be true. Do they have some land I could acquire in Florida?

shelleysue 5 years, 1 month ago

Someone sent this to me. It's amazing. Makes you realize what's really important.

Mike Barnhart 5 years, 1 month ago

College football game days are are incredible when your team is good. When your team is dead last in their division ...not so much!

I trust that Lew Perkins, Time Magazine's "greatest sports executive in the world", will find a way to keep the stadium rockin' on Saturdays.

Do what you gotta' do, Lew!

jhokfan 5 years, 1 month ago

Looks like the wheels are falling off. I hope Mangino can weather the storm but I won’t be surprised if this is the tip of the iceberg. You can only get away with this kind of stuff if you are winning. Indiana was willing to put up with Bobby Knight up until the wins started appearing with less frequency.

booze_buds_03 5 years, 1 month ago

"In 110 years of Kansas Football since 1890 (1,175 games at the end of this season), KU has won about 51% of its games (excluding ties). In conference games, KU has won about 40% of its 590 games.

In eight years as Kansas Football head coach, the average Mark Mangino season is about 6-6, 3-5. In short, he has been the average Kansas football coach in terms of on the field performance. In all other areas, he has far exceeded average (interest in the program, tickets sold, revenue generated, quality of recruits, facility improvements, bowl games, etc.). In my opinion, you can create a solid argument that he has been the best coach in our program's mediocre history.

Mangino has basically five problems:

1. There are some (not a majority) of boosters who got too excited about 2007
  2. He wasn't hired by Lew Perkins
  3. He is a bit of a hot head
  4. He weighs 500 pounds---and most importantly...
  5. He went on a 5 (soon to be 7) game losing streak just after his boss announced a huge stadium improvement project designed to further feather the AD's cap and make the new Chancellor look good.

For every former player who didn't like his playing time and is now coming out of the woodwork to bad mouth the guy, there is another that says that playing for Mangino made him a better man.

If KU had found a way to pick up 2 more wins this season (7-3 instead of 5-5), none of this would be an issue. (Heck, maybe even if Briscoe comes down with that pass in the end zone in Boulder and the record is now 6-4).

I don't believe that Perkins has ever been out to get Mangino. However, Lew is a business man. If you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem to him. Mangino is now part of the problem.

He's gone. Perkins will handle the dismissal pretty well. Mangino will have the opportunity to exit with dignity. The question in my mind is whether or not he will have the temperament and wisdom to do so.

For the future, I'd like to see Perkins go for it (and I think he just might). We need youth and enthusiasm. We do not need experience or ties to the past. Kansas needs to first catch the mid-tier programs in the conference before we can set our sights any higher."

ginger2015 5 years, 1 month ago

Doesn't an AAD work for Lew? How is this considered unbiased? Of course I don't know which side of this Lew comes down on, but wouldn't an independent investigation be more fair?

suttonku 5 years, 1 month ago

With all the information I have and have seen there is no way Mangino will be back next season...Its not just the poke in the chest...Mangino has had multiple problems since coming to KU...The whole parking ticket thing, being on probation, and now you have former players coming out and saying that the verbal abuse is just too much and its about time that this surfaces...Todd Macshay said he doesnt see Mangino coming back next season and neither do I.

Not sure who we will find that will be better though. I like Mangino and I think hes a good coach. I do not support the school firing him unless he did something to really warrant being fired. But I also really trust Lew in whatever he does.

patrick_raftery 5 years, 1 month ago

Boozer ... nice analysis; spot-on in everyway. 1 Atta-boy for the Booze hound.

troutsee 5 years, 1 month ago

Lew is raising the 600K to buy out his contract. He's gone.

I feel bad for MM but for the university and for KU FB it is the best considering all that has transpired in the last few days. If he stays, we will loose all of our oral committments. Changing coaches will not put KU FB back to the TA era. The cupboard is not bare as it was when MM came. We have good talent coming back next year. A quick good hire will preserve most of our oral committments. We'll be fine.

The one thing that bothers me and keeps rattling around inside my head is that in the past, when questioned as to why they chose KU, many recruits have said that it was the togetherness of the team and how it seemed like family, etc. Somehow, that doesn't resonate with the current complaints.

However, at this point it really does not make any difference. Too much damage has been done. He's got to go.

sljhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

I truely think Lew has someone in the fold or this would never be brought up. I love what Mangino has done for us and I don't like how this is being handled. Why would Lew do this now when the team should be worried about getting bowl eligble. As said earlier Lew is a business man. He probably already has something in the works or this wouldn't be happenig right now. Kiss our great recruiting class good by.

Phoggin_Loud 5 years, 1 month ago

Maybe the embarassment of the situation will cause the players & coaches to rise up on Sat. night. Go beat Texas, Gentlemen. You have nothing to lose. And while you're at it, beat MU & your Bowl opponent, as well. I've read enough speculation. Let's play some football!!

troutsee 5 years, 1 month ago

Sljhawk, I agree with you except I think we'll be able to hold most of the recruits.

Hawk1969 5 years, 1 month ago

You can kiss that great recruiting class goodbye thanks to Mangino, not Perkins.

KU 5 years, 1 month ago

sljhawk.....I'm not saying I condone getting rid of Mangino because we don't know enough details.....but if we HAVE to hire a coach, I sure hope you are right. I don't want to go through the embarassment Nebraska went through when they canned Solich and 3 or 4 coaches turned them down. They obviously didn't have their ducks in a row. I think Lew is a better executive than that. Who wouldn't want to work for him? He has improved facilities BIG TIME for football AND basketball.....he pays extremely well......and he's well-respected in the industry. Add to that the prestige of playing in the Big 12 with the advantage of a relatively weak North Division and you have a challenge worth tackling for a sharp coach.

MitchumMan 5 years, 1 month ago

To all of the recruits out there - Don't make any hasty decisions quite yet. Wait until you see who our new coach is going to be. KU is still a great school, with great tradition, great facilities, and great fans that take a personal interest in what happens at our school.

Jeff Hargate 5 years, 1 month ago

How can Lew not fire HCMM after all this? Mangino's credibility is now trashed and I do not even see how he can coach on Saturday. I agree with all of you who hope something more than a "chest poke" comes out of this. Hopefully Lew is not turning this into more than it is just to fire him. Fire him for going 1-7, not for something potentially ruining his career.

Philip Bowman 5 years, 1 month ago

How much to buy out his contract? No, not MM's. Lew's. Talk about MM's weight? How about Lew? He is a me-firster and has been from the start, here and other places. If you don't believe it ask the folks at Wichita State.

He didn't hire Mangino so, of course, he has to find a way to get rid of him. This is the beginning of that campaign and will be the end of KU football for years to come. Fortunately, it will also be the end of Lew's monument to himself, the east side luxury suites. Go away, Lew. Now!!!

jhokfan 5 years, 1 month ago

Canning Mangino is a short sighted solution. We will go back to our old ways of trying to find an up and coming coach who will either fail and never be heard from again or will find some success and bolt for a better job. This program has been trying to run for four decades before it has learned to walk.

MitchumMan 5 years, 1 month ago

Are you crazy? Lew has given this university so much. He might be all about himself, but he's helping KU in the process. Mangino is a fine coach. But unfortunately he's about to find himself with a one way ticket out of town (most likely). The players play for Mangino, not Lew, and these players have mixed feelings about Mangino, not Lew. When the team doesn't want to play for their coach, you get rid of the coach. It's the easiest solution. It's not a solution I like, but it's what has to be done. Lew knows how to get coaches ($$$) and will do just that to land a good coach. Why do you think Mangino got the big bucks before he won us an Orange Bowl. He was just showing all the coaches out there that he's willing to pay coaches good money. Because trust me, at that time Mangino didn't really deserve the money.

shelleysue 5 years, 1 month ago

lighthawk I actually agree with that one.

Someone said coach would go but Lew would allow him to exit with dignity. Um - already WAY too late for that.

After everything he's done for KU this should have been handled better. Guilty or not.

suttonku 5 years, 1 month ago

Firing Lew would be idiotic! Hes the best AD in the country! I would fire Mangino before Lew any day of the week. Get your heads on straight people!

KEITHMILES05 5 years, 1 month ago

If Lew wants to fire MM then wait 2 more games. Do it with wins/losses.

Now, with all this ugliness and IF Perkins doesn't come clean with the real reasons then it will be a backlash against him and MM will be seen as run out of town.

This entire deal smells. As it is now nobody is a winner in the end.

Cal Bender 5 years, 1 month ago

If this turmoil is all about a poke in the chest with a finger, then everyone should take a deep breath and put it behind them. The team leader, Todd Reesing, should have a heart to heart talk with Arist Wright and discuss with him the fact they have only two games left in their college careers, and for Wright probably the last two games of his lifetime. Memories of this senior year will be with Airis and other seniors forever, and fifty years from now he will look back on these final days of his football career and hopefully have fond memories, not memories of a troubled conclusion of his career. He should talk to his team and the coach, and let them know he wants to play football, and all is forgotten, Let's keep the University and our athletics on a high plane we can all continue to be proud of.

CaramelMacchMan 5 years, 1 month ago

No one needs to go...

We just need to move on to next season

Steve Brown 5 years, 1 month ago

light the fire. heat the iron. put a JHawk branding on the arse of those pesky longhorns.

RCJHKU

Colt McCoy throws 3 interceptions in Texas 1st season loss to inspired Kansas team with interim coach.

Kansas 42 Texas 17.

JAYHAWK_JIM 5 years, 1 month ago

Ok So we fire HCMM. Hire another Terry Allen and mangino goes to back to K-State to be O-Cordinator and we lose to K-State 10 years in a row, just wonderful!

jhox 5 years, 1 month ago

I have several comments / questions...first of all, who said that Lew made this public? The public part started as a vague comment about a meeting Lew had with the players. I'm confident Lew would never have made this public if it could have been avoided. Once the Journal World posted that comment, there was no way to keep this under cover.

Either way Lew is screwed. If he fires Mangino, he's the bad guy to Mangino's supporters. If he doesn't fire him, we can kiss any decent recruiting goodbye for the next couple of years. This is a no win for everyone, except a few complaining, disgruntled parents and players who want to see Mangino punished. Lew had absolutely nothing to gain from this going public.

Now that this has happened, there is no turning back. I like Mangino. I'm disappointed with the season just like everyone else, but his contributions to the program had earned him the right to survive a down year. That having been said, I see no way we can keep him now. As so many have pointed out, if we keep him, the negative recruiting by other coaches will be impossible to overcome. I hate to see Bowen rewarded with the interim head coach title. He's definitely not earned that position. Our defense has under achieved the last 2 years.

The only way Lew gets out of this now is to make a monster hire. It has to be someone with strong Texas recruiting ties. I'd break the bank going after Patterson from TCU. I know he turned down KSU, but this is a better situation, and we could throw a lot more money at him than KSU could. It's a long shot, but money talks, and Lew is good at finding the money necessary to get things like this done.

My second choice is probably the guy at Houston, though I'm not quite as enthusiastic about him. It definitely has to be someone with strong ties to the high schools in Texas, because we can't be competitive unless we recruit Texas. I don't care who we get, we're not going to get a lot of players from Florida or the Southeast. With our Big 12 affiliation we can successfully recruit Texas, with the right coach at the helm.

Steve Brown 5 years, 1 month ago

I nominate the galloping ghost.

Mr. Gayle Sayers #48 as our interim coach.

Just think of the ABC/ESPN retro film classics they would have to show on play breaks.

jahawkdave 5 years, 1 month ago

This all sucks, we should be talking about winning the North, the Big 12 championship game and Bowl speculations.

Bottom line is if your an A hole it catches up to you. I don't see a very long line of people stepping up to support MM, and all these negative stories start appearing. Even when he was winning you'd always hear about his negative demeanor. There's a big difference between a coach thats a hard a$$ but and on that's an a$$ hole.

I don't think he'll be fired two days before the TU game, but he won't be on the sidelines for MU, and we will win one of those games. (MU)

jchief40 5 years, 1 month ago

Well well. How are the "what have you done for me lately" fair-weather KU football fans doing this evening?

Nice to see you.

Rock Chalk.

babyjay1 5 years, 1 month ago

At this point he has to go. You don't think other coaches in Big 12 would use the "oh you don't want to go to Kansas. You know what their coach is like, etc... what issues they've had, etc...." to fuel recruiting for them? How many parents are going to dismiss this when their son is looking at his options? I am totally behind Lew in this one. He may seem arrogant or whatever, but he has done so much and really brought football to the limelight, so all $$ don't go to basketball. He is a well respected AD. I am also confident that if MM is fired (which I think will happen soon), Lew can find a quality replacement. I don't see MM on the sidelines in Texas - not with all that has happened. Right or wrong, I think it's too late.

rastameta 5 years, 1 month ago

FYI, Dexter Fields started for 3 1/2 years at KU. Therefore, I highly doubt it is because he is disgruntled with his playing time. He was the leading receiver for two straight years.

According to my friends still in the athletic department, all of this is true and that Mangino has a lot of enemies in the department, with players, and with players parents. It runs deep and has for a few years. He has been told to straighten up more than once and been given extra chances. His own ego got in his way.

Also, I was told he is being give the choice to step down and receive a buyout or to be fired with cause. I was told something should be announced on Thursday, but if it doesn't happen on Thurs. it will happen after the Texas game.

KUFOOTBALLMOM 5 years, 1 month ago

This has been going on since he started....everyone has been too afraid to say anything. He is a miserable man and takes that ou on his players.

babyjay1 5 years, 1 month ago

FootballMom - are you an actual mom of a KU player, either current or past? If anybody does Twitter (which I don't), there is quite a bit from Joque Crawford and he confirms the problems on his posts....

suttonku 5 years, 1 month ago

I got this from ESPN:

Kansas City Star columnist Jason Whitlock has been the first to pose weight as the reason behind KU coach Mark Mangino's recent troubles with AD Lew Perkins.

There are reports of verbal and physical abuse against players, and there's the 5-5 record of a once-promising team, with possible losses to No. 3 Texas and Missouri on the way. But Whitlock says it all comes down to Mangino being dangerously overweight.

"Two years ago, Mangino peaked, carrying the Jayhawks to 12-1, an Orange Bowl victory and a top-10 ranking. He didn't get one job offer. It was the weight. If he spent two years away from football addressing his weight problem, applied for a job at 270 pounds, he would be a can't-miss BCS candidate. Heck, he would be a terrific choice to coach in the NFL."

Should Perkins oust his head man, we've posed a candidate already: Oklahoma D-coordinator Brent Venables might just be next in line for the Jayhawks.

babyjay1 5 years, 1 month ago

Totally off topic... poor Huskers are losing a basketball game - aw shucks....

Kent Wells 5 years, 1 month ago

Amusing that the fat toad that is Whitlock is playing the weight card... When was the last time he saw 270. That's funny.

kranny 5 years, 1 month ago

I agree with Booze Hound. Spot On. This about business. The hawks have lost 5 straight with a talented team-not great but nevertheless talented. Mangino isn't correcting the problem and refuses to change his ways to motivate or find a solution. I thank the man for some great memories and I hate to see him get the boot but this is a what have you done for me lately sports world and lately things aren't gettin' done and revenue will soon be lost if a major change isn't made.

s6u6r6f 5 years, 1 month ago

Oh my god! A football coach has yelled at players and poked them in the chest with his finger! What has the sport come to in this day and age? Shocking!

Just the ticket for the new KU hire: Mr. Mackey from South Park. He is the opposite of overweight, and his mellow style should appeal to the vegans who now seem to sway athletic department opinion: Yellin' is bad, mkay? And pokin' is bad. So don't yell. And don't poke. Mkay?

okiedave 5 years, 1 month ago

I find it difficult to believe that Mangino "demotivates" players and we had a team who exceeded expectations in 2007 and won the orange bowl. I remember those players being extremely motivated. I have difficulty comparing the facts with the verbage being bantered in the Daily Kansan that it has been going on since MM got here.

Steve Brown 5 years, 1 month ago

You rest comfortably in your cozy seats and pay us to stand on the sideline and defend our goal line. We work hard, sweat, work 80 hour weeks and live with unsupportive students, fickly fans and wavering athlectic department. When we have players that whine we deal with it.

You want the truth, you can't handle the truth.

Of course I ordered the code red.

suttonku 5 years, 1 month ago

Bottom line is that Mangino is going to be fired and not because of the chest poking but because he has clearly lost this team and clearly he cannot coach them anymore...Plus our recruits are gone regardless...If he stays there is no way that the recruits will want to risk playing for a lunatic...If he goes then players wont know the coach coming in...We need to make a decision quickly though and if we fire Mangino then we need to hire someone who will make a splash and will be able to keep some of the recruits and snag some other recruits...Patterson is good but I doubt we get him since he may be turning TCU into a program and also he is a KSU guy...I think a young coach like Brent Venebrels might be a good idea...He has connections to the south to recruit and as long as he gets a good offensive coordinator we could be pretty solid on both sides of the ball...I trust in Lew and I think Lew will make the best decision for this university...We are all worrying about something that we cannot control. I think its not a matter of will Mangino be fired but when? I think we will hear something tomorrow or Monday about this whole Mangino issue. With everything coming from the former players as well it seems like Mangino has little chance of surviving this one. Theres a new aricle on espn.com that everyone needs to read to get a feel for what has been going on with past players.

Dirk Medema 5 years, 1 month ago

Well said Boozer. It's buisness.

It reminds me of a incident when I was in grad school at Purdue. They didn't renew the contract of the W's BB coach, and didn't even give a reason. Technically, they didn't have to. A few years later, they did settle a lawsuit with the coach and agreed not to talk about it. I wouldn't expect to hear much about this one either, and a lot of the people above will likely fume about that as well - tough.

IMO, KU's situation has the potential to play out much like urdue's did on the court. They got great coaches (the first one left to become head of USA BB after just one year), had great recruits, and won the NC 3 years later.

That is not a prediction of a national championship, but merely that we are very caable of getting a quality coach, getting the same or better recruits, and continue the rise in quality of the program. Coach Mangino knew that we needed better facilities if we were to compete in FB, but Coach wasn't the person who got those facilities here. It was Lew and staff. It's all part of Lew's buisness plan.

Dirk Medema 5 years, 1 month ago

This also reminds me of some direction for writing a public memo I received 20 yrs ago. My division manager stopped by my desk after proofing the initial draft. He told me that every word of the memo was factually accurate, but that there were always 2 ways to say anything; a positive way and a negative way. He said, "We always want to choose the positive way." (Ironically, within a year, he was told he could have no direct interaction with his staff, b/c of his inappropriate behaviour.)

IMO, this is Coach Mangino's downfall in a nutshell. Go back and watch the OB trophy presentation. What does Coach Mangino say from the highest of stages (/KU) - "Our players aren't as good as players on other teams, ..."

That may be true, but it is hard to imagine any player rewinding that moment as motivation.

Blog entries